What did 10.1.7 fix or add?

Mike P

Idea

I got an automatic upgrade from 10.1.4 to 10.1.7 when I loaded EN this morning. The release notes say nothing beyond the new features of v10 and what's coming. Anybody know what it fixed? I have been frustrated by EN release notes thoughout the preview, beta and current stages. "Sketchy" would be over selling them. It's annoying to find that you have got used to using a workaround and the bug that you were working around has been fixed without anybody telling you. Concrete example: from 10.1 alt-ctrl-F started working when the sidebar was collapsed.

• Like 4

15 replies to this idea

I have the same question. What improvements came with the upgrade (v10.1.7)?

Given how rocky the v10 roll out has been, I think Evernote should do be doing everything humanly possible to highlight even small wins. They might stem some user frustration by being clear about how they're chipping away at known bugs and limitations. Transparency is important.

• Like 3
  • Evernote Expert
51 minutes ago, wbutchart said:

I still don’t have 10.1.4! These new roll out updates are....interesting. 

10.1.4 was very unpredictable in terms of automatic roll-out.  I, and many others, had to by-pass the auto process and download it from the website and install manually.

10.1.7 arrived automagically yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, agsteele said:

automagically

Echo's of Artur C Clarke's "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." I won't comment on the definition of "sufficiently advanced" in the context of EN v10!

• Haha 2

I hunted for some release notes to find out what has been changed in the latest build, but maybe I looked in the wrong place. Are there release notes or a list of changes for the current build? If not, why not? I am sticking with the legacy v6 until v10 has been brought up to a usable level again, so release notes are essential. I am not going to install every new release and then waste time trying to discover what has changed.

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

I suspect that the 10.1 changes are all minor fixes. So the release notes that are in the Release Notes section of the new versions have not changed. 

That said, I can see @Richard LC, that this will not help you. When the 10.1.x version was released there were some general announcements of what had changed and what was coming. I thought that I saw something in the Forums but I can't find the announcement now :(

(Here it is...

I got "autoupgraded" to Evernote 10.1.7 today and found I could not work anymore: Typing was so slow (syncing after every letter - really?) I had to give up. For now I have reverted to the legacy app and will watch, whether the new Evernote actually becomes useable at some point. I am hugely frustrated as I use Evernote for every meeting, thinking, drafting communications throughout the day - anybody out there experiencing the same issues?

Are there any noticeable performance enhancements in the latest version? Anyone on v10 who can keep us v6 holdouts informed on this point? I'm kind of assessing when it's ok to dip my toe back into the pool and the main thing keeping me out was the greater than "two mississippi..." count between when I clicked a note and actually saw my data appear.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

No significant change yet other than the ability to edit the creation date and click a link to the embedded URL... Hardly worth rushing to dip any toes in the water.  But you can run 10.x and 6.25 on the same machine at the same time. I have both here which gives me the chance to monitor the developments in v10 and remain full productive in v6.25

A very unscientific comparison finds Win 6.25 opening to an editable working position in sub 4 secs. 

Win 10.1.1 is taking 9 secs for me. And to think I used to consider 6.25 sluggish! 

iOS 10 version has similar issues. Timings of opening are not consistently repeatable. Sometimes almost instantaneous, other times might be 20 secs. Absolutely no use when all you want to do is take a quick note on the go. 

• Like 1
On 10/20/2020 at 2:29 PM, agsteele said:

But you can run 10.x and 6.25 on the same machine at the same time. I have both here which gives me the chance to monitor the developments in v10 and remain full productive in v6.25

VERY good to know! Thanks for pointing that out. Been meaning to ask that. Did you have to set up any special shortcuts to make it possible to run them separately?

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, hanseric said:

VERY good to know! Thanks for pointing that out. Been meaning to ask that. Did you have to set up any special shortcuts to make it possible to run them separately?

No. First of all install version 10.x then run the installer for the old legacy version. You get desktop icons for both versions.  I rename these to make sure I can clearly see which version is which.  If you download the newly created legacy version 6.25.2 then I blieve that the only difference is that the desktop icon is coloured grey rather than green which makes it easier to see which one you are running.

Once the desktop legacy version is installed you may need to recustomize the toolbar to have what you had previously.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, agsteele said:

No. First of all install version 10.x then run the installer for the old legacy version. You get desktop icons for both versions.  I rename these to make sure I can clearly see which version is which.  If you download the newly created legacy version 6.25.2 then I blieve that the only difference is that the desktop icon is coloured grey rather than green which makes it easier to see which one you are running.

Once the desktop legacy version is installed you may need to recustomize the toolbar to have what you had previously.

I'll give this a try. Thanks very much!