(Archived) Feature requests: folders for tags, ability to flag notes

I've been experimenting with Evernote for a while now but have not yet upgraded to Premium. I'm also seriously considering using Yojimbo as an alternative to Evernote. There are a couple of features in Yojimbo that I really like and wish Evernote had:

First, I like the idea of being able to organize tags into folders or groups. For instance, I might have a Tag folder named "shopping" which contains several other tags related to shopping. Just click on the folder and any document with any of those tags will be included.

Second, I really wish there was a way to flag certain notes.

Having these two features would go a long way towards keeping me as an Evernote user.

• Level 5*

I think that the original poster wants to click on a tag in the Tags list, and have that tag and all sub-tags be included in the filter. There's no way to do that currently that I am aware of. It would be useful, though. You can open up the tag folder all the way and multi-select all of the sub-tags. Again, there's no way to open out the full tree under a tag; that would be useful also.

~Jeff

• Level 5
Jefito wrote:

I think that the original poster wants to click on a tag in the Tags list, and have that tag and all sub-tags be included in the filter. There's no way to do that currently that I am aware of.

Yes, I think that is what the OP wanted. Because it is not available in the format he requested, I tossed out my solution which produces the result he wants in a slightly different manner.

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. I appreciate the suggested workarounds. Those will be helpful in a pinch. But it would be much better if I didn't have to do any workarounds and it just did it (I write that hoping the Evernote people will read this).

Flagging would be great too. It would be super nice to just be able to select a bunch of notes and hit a keyboard command to flag them all at once. And then, of course, to be able to sort by flag within a list. That is, have an option for the flagged notes to always be at the top of each list.

While I'm daydreaming, is there a way to highlight/mark up important text within a note? That would be a great feature too.

Thanks everyone.

• Level 5*
Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. I appreciate the suggested workarounds. Those will be helpful in a pinch. But it would be much better if I didn't have to do any workarounds and it just did it (I write that hoping the Evernote people will read this).

They read them all, and often (but not always) answer.

Flagging would be great too. It would be super nice to just be able to select a bunch of notes and hit a keyboard command to flag them all at once. And then, of course, to be able to sort by flag within a list. That is, have an option for the flagged notes to always be at the top of each list.

Some people use tag names that are prefixed with special characters like '@' and '_'. These will sort before normal alphanumeric characters, so with current facilities, you can create a tag, say '@Star', which is easy to apply to a selection of notes, and will sort first when you sort by the tag column (unless perhaps you're using other special characters as prefixes).

Adding flags would probably be a database schema change for Evernote, not a trivial undertaking as it needs to be supported by many different clients.

~Jeff

Great idea - would be wonderful to have a simple keyboard shortcut to flag or star notes, and then sort by that status, a la Gmail. The tagging workaround is ok, but not the same as a dedicated flag feature.

• 2 months later...

Adding my vote for a feature to favorite or star notes. I have certain key notes in various notebooks that I either use frequently or would like to always see at the top of the list.

Which brings to mind another way to handle this -- "stickying" notes so they will always appear at the top of a sort. But that's probably less flexible than a favoriting process that would still allow sorts based on other criteria without always featuring the favorited items. The way Google "starred" items work is exactly what I'm after.

Archived