Issue - Child Tag Search

BobbyRob
Go to solution Solved by Tom Donohue,

Idea

Hi,

In Evernote 10.0.10 for Mac if you click a tag with nested tags in Evernote for Mac 10.0.10 it searches by the tag and all nested tags.

For example, I have a heading tag 2-ThisWeek with the nested tag WeeklyPlan. If I click 2-ThisWeek in either the tag view or the sidebar it returns a search for 2-ThisWeek AND WeeklyPlan. For some significant heading tags this means searching dozens of tags which is too many characters for the search field and is useless because it doesn't generate any results.

Not sure if this is a bug or a 'feature'. I would like it to simply return any notes tagged with the single tag I clicked (as 7.14 did).

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

8 replies to this idea

• Solution

On 10/16/2020 at 5:21 AM, DTLow said:

The search returned no notes; Is it doing an All search?

@DTLow

Yes, currently the behavior for nested tags is to find notes tagged with all child tags included, which is not very useful.

What do you think about the addition of a simple "any vs. all" option for filters? And filtering by tag would default to any.

On 10/16/2020 at 2:25 PM, Drexler Mathias said:

A tag should include its child-tags with OR not with AND!

@Drexler Mathias

I agree. Unfortunately there’s a flaw in the current design where the OR operator is completely ignored.  The design does not account for advanced users that want to utilize boolean logic.

When the blue filter pills are displayed, all filters are joined by the AND operator. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

It seems child tag search has been enabled (v10.1.6)
I can't turn it off219741203_ScreenShot2020-10-16at5_14_29AM.png.594ef971458d99fa97b3c73794e2d0ba.png

The search returned no notes; Is it doing an All search?

Clicking on a top level tag was not good
I also got an error message "Search query exceeds nnnn characters

Yes, it appears that when clicking to filter on a top-level tag that the new app tries to search on ALL the child tags at the same time!

When I first experienced that I was sure it was a bug, but it's persisted through several updates so it seems it may have been a (misguided) design decision. In my opinion searching on a top-level tag should ONLY search that top-level tag. Hopefully we can get some visibility on this so that they consider changing it in the future.

@Tom Donohue

Personally, I feel like filtering on a parent tag should not include any child tags by default "even in an 'OR'" configuration.

My gut tells me I'm more likely to try and filter notes that only contain the parent tag than I am to try and see every note which could include any of the child tags.

Whichever way you go (default child tags in "OR" or no child tags), it would be useful to be able to do the opposite in a quick way for advanced users. Something like a shift-click on the parent tag (or Cmd-click or some other modifier) to automatically include/exclude the child tags

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Tom Donohue said:

What do you think about the addition of a simple "any vs. all" option for filters? And applying a tag filter would default to any.

Thanks for following up on this

I don't think "all" would ever be appropriate in a child tag search process   
Yes, I'd like an any/all switch on the note list filter

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

it would be useful to be able to do the opposite in a quick way for advanced users.

I actually don't use the sidebar tag tree for tag searches860765342_ScreenShot2020-10-17at10_30_37AM.png.156cae236a10f2f7be7d37496c1b73fe.png

I use the filter at the top of the note list
It also allows for multi-tag selection