V10 Absolutely Awful - back to 6.25 for me.

Richard M. Ruby

Idea

69 replies to this idea

Pretty colors are nice. But prioritizing them over maintaining the existing functions is simply illogical. I'm sure a lot of people were happy when they added air conditioning to cars. But not if they had removed doors at the same time. 

This isn't a game. My organization uses Evernote a lot. Changing an easy to use setup to showcase new features is totally illogical. In other words, they took the doors off, but at least I can see the spiffy colors of the interior,

Evernote needs to understand how their product is used. They need to protect the product they make and improve it. What they've done makes me wonder if I can trust them to be there for me in the future. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am furious.

I have used Evernote for over a decade, almost since the initial release.

I have been a paying premium member almost continuously for as long as the premium has been available.

I was recently "upgraded" to version 10. This version of the client is a massive downgrade in features and performance. The lack of a local sync seems like one of the most massive blunders imaginable. Local sync was one of the very reasons I chose Evernote in the first place. Opening a notebook, something that is supposed to be a digital facsimile of the paper equivalent, only to be locked out of the note I need while a spinner displays is a massively downgraded experience. I wouldn't get a spinner on a paper note and I'd like not to have one on a locally created and managed note either.

I always accepted that when I installed the client on a new machine there would be a period where my notebooks would need to be sync'd. That's the same as cloning my repositories from git onto that machine or syncing file from an online box storage service. It makes sense.

What does not make sense is going to open a technical notebook I reference daily, a notebook I have maintained locally on my development machine for years, and finding the client locked up, waiting for a spinner to resolve before I can even begin scrolling to the relevant section of the note.

This whole "unification" of clients, bringing the lowest common denominator to all platforms seems like a way for Evernote to save money and development cost at the expense of their userbase. I'm sorry if your internal software architecture and multi-platform development strategy made feature management and development expensive and painful. That is a hard software problem to solve. Choosing to solve it at the expense of your paying customers is a very poor (and selfish) choice.

Please restore the missing functionality, including local sync, color choice flexibility, encrypted text blocks (all previously included encrypted text block functionality), font options, and the richness of the Evernote client we have used and paid for over the last decade. This latest release is a disgrace and an insult to long-term users of the product.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But for the record, pretty colors have in fact been a much-requested feature for a long time.

Shame we can't use the pretty highlighting colours on webclips without "simplify and make editable".

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Richard M. Ruby said:

The new version only allows the list of notes to be arrange vertically on the left, with the note text on the right.

This is a work-in-progress; top list view will delivered in an upcoming update  

You might be happier reverting to a legacy version 

I moved the post to the Windows Issues forum   
Let me know if it's the wrong platform

@Richard M. Ruby Several people, including myself, are using the "Legacy version" in parallel to the new version for missing feature.  You could do the same or completely switch to the legacy version until you get the proper feedback that the missing parts that are so important for you are present in the new version.  Unfortunately, this situation will have the bad consequence that you lost your original setup ...

As for the real subject of your email, I think several users are sharing your feeling.  I wished the installation of Evernote 10 would have been done directly in parallel to the previous version only.  This way I wouldn't have lost my original setup and could have experienced the new version in parallel with the several year version I had customized the way I want. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lemayp said:

I wished the installation of Evernote 10 would have been done directly in parallel to the previous version only.  This way I wouldn't have lost my original setup and could have experienced the new version in parallel with the several year version I had customized the way I want. 

I got really lucky with this. I was installing it on a work computer on the remote desktop. So I did not have admin access, when the removal utility asked for the password, I hit cancel since IT wasn't around. So it did not remove it and I have both installed.

That would have made me even more mad, if I had to get 6.25 reinstalled and recreate my setup, so I get the frustration of the users for sure.

I am back on the original version, relatively unscathed. Another aspect of the problem here that would be well advised to note by the EN team, is that they set an expectation level of a new, improved, faster, bla bla bla version that in fact was just the opposite. That's in no way a good thing to do to anyone, much less with the added trauma of "OMG, can I even undo this". All of the adjectives to describe this fiasco have been pretty much used by many users, so I'll restrain myself. Done properly, this could have turned out much, much different with a good experience for everyone. Hopefully, this will be a learning experience and could still end well, but a few fixes to speed and other items is not going to be acceptable to a huge number of paying subscribers. It needs to be a continuation of the legacy features and an upgrade, not lipstick on a pig. OK, done with this. I've wasted more than enough time with this unnecessary disaster

• Like 8
21 hours ago, Richard M. Ruby said:

Just got updated to Evernote 10. I have been an Evernote user since December of 2011 and I am absolutely furious with you for changing the setup of my screen. I had my desktop, notebook and phone setup the way *I* wanted it. I do not give a damn about what you think as to how I should set things up.

First of all, I want to be able to have the note title above the note text. The new version only allows the list of notes to be arrange vertically on the left, with the note text on the right. If other people want to set up that way, fine. But I can see no way to reconfigure my Evernote screen. I cannot believe the arrogance it shows to your customers that you don't allow customization. 

I want to customize Evernote MY way, NOT yours. Fix it, or I quit.

Richard Ruby

• Like 3
  • Level 5
On 10/16/2020 at 12:39 AM, Richard M. Ruby said:

But the Evernote people need to know that one of the most valuable parts of their product is consistency and reliability. As a 9-year member, I don't want to customize my interface, I've already done that. I want to turn it on, get to my info and get moving. 

I am profoundly disappointed in Evernote for leaving this critical feature out. They did add the ability to make my notes have pretty colors. That's what they prioritize? Over me being able to set up my screen my way? Really? Are they idiots? Do they know how to satisfy customers? New releases should not take away major functions while adding gimmicks.

I'm not disagreeing with anything in this thread. But for the record, pretty colors have in fact been a much-requested feature for a long time. Many people find them useful for quickly identifying or sorting out material within a note. And one of the major points of this major update is in fact consistency--but consistency across platforms, not with earlier versions, which is what is lousing so many people up.

• Like 3
On 10/16/2020 at 8:34 AM, William C said:

I'm with Richard. Releasing a dysfunctional "upgrade" like this is unbelievable, Asinine stupidity. You don't replace a solid version of software with "a work in progress" without half the features of the previous version. No excuse. About 20 min into Ver10, I was so mad I couldn't see straight. Trying to get work done and hitting walls every time I tried to do something. Back to legacy.

Evernote 10 is so bad!

• Sad 1

Yes, I definitely agree that the older version is so much better. It is true that the new version Evernote v10 looks good (aesthetically-wised), but I find it not functional at all. Still wondering why they want to update an already-perfect version...Sincerely hope that they will revert it back somehow.

I guess I will using the Evernote Legacy instead😩😩😩

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, HansRKessler said:

I'd like to see a post from Evernote with the process for reverting to an older version so I know I'm not going to stuff things up. I've sent an email to Evernote. All I hear is crickets. Very disappointing on so many levels. 

Did you look at Evernote's page on reverting to an older version    
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

I have been away from the forums for several months, and this last week was surprised by the version 10 download - I built a new PC, and absentmindedly downloaded ver 10.x, thinking it might be a huge step forward.

Am I alone in thinking this application is a pile of kludge?  I removed ver 10, and installed ver 6.25.1.9091 - because the newer version did not seem to store a copy of my database locally, there appear to be features in 6.25 that are absent in 10 - can someone say how in any sense the newer version is better than the older one?

Thanks - feeling kind of irritated at the moment - ugh

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, southernforge said:

feeling kind of irritated at the moment

You might be interesting in using the Legacy version

>>can someone say how in any sense the newer version is better than the older one?

I don't find the v10 better than the legacy product (yet)
I see this as release .0 of a new product; a framework for the implementation of features

• Like 1

I'm glad I got help here for returning to Evernote Legacy. The issue I have is that Evernote isn't even acknowledging our issues. There's been other times they've made terrible decisions, and they don't say anything. I'm really disappointed with their customer relations and their product development team. Being unable to trust them to bring out quality upgrades that meet the needs of users has me considering OneNote.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, southernforge said:

can someone say how in any sense the newer version is better than the older one?

Not this someone.  V10 needs some work to become a 6.25.  Time will tell.

Interesting how many users like myself are absolutely furious that you foisted this new version on us the way you did. Please add the old legacy functions and layout back into your setup options in the new version so that long time users can get back to work.

• Like 2
On 10/26/2020 at 5:38 PM, DTLow said:

You might be interesting in using the Legacy version

>>can someone say how in any sense the newer version is better than the older one?

I don't find the v10 better than the legacy product (yet)
I see this as release .0 of a new product; a framework for the implementation of features

Thank you for replying, only wish I'd replied to you sooner.

• Level 5*
On 10/29/2020 at 1:27 AM, curtkaltsukis said:

Interesting how many users like myself are absolutely furious that you foisted this new version on us the way you did. Please add the old legacy functions and layout back into your setup options in the new version so that long time users can get back to work.

You can go back to 6.25 until there have been a few iterations of updates to 10.

• Like 1
  • Notes don't work without internet connection (person that thought this is a good idea should just go hide somewhere and never work in this field again)
  • No shortcuts/Bookmarks bar
  • Size of note in the notes columns increased so now I can't see more than 7 of them
  • Check-marks are now X? I want check-mark back!!!
  • Slow change between notes (due to the fact that they are pulled from the server)
  • No Checkbox in text editor

This is just from 10 min of usage.

All that bad stuff and no features we really need like:

• Ready-only notes
  • Compact view for notes (possibility to choose note height like in Gmail Compact/Normal/Comfortable)

I installed Legacy version.

Why didn't you just ask more users to participate in Alpha release?

This is not the way to get user's feedback!!!

• Like 3

Does anyone know what Evernote's official response is to all this? Do they know how upset people are? Do they care? Why don't they communicate any understanding of our anger and frustration? Why don't they recognize and validate the responses of their customers. Why don't they demonstrate that they care about their customers? 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Vojkan Cvijanovic said:

Why didn't you just ask more users to participate in Alpha release?

I can assure you there was plenty of feedback from a dedicated group of preview and beta users. I can't think of a single thing that has been raised since the general release that had not been raised in the preview and beta. The issue is not having more users testing the app . The issue is listening to the testers and then not releasing it until it is ready.

I still consider this to be a beta whatever the label says. The post they put in the forum when they make new releases acknowledge thay have still got lots of work to do. You can continue to use the old version and I will continue to use both until at some point in the future when I will be forced to make a decision between the hopefully much improved V10 and the alternatives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Richard M. Ruby said:

Does anyone know what Evernote's official response is to all this? Do they know how upset people are? Do they care? Why don't they communicate any understanding of our anger and frustration? Why don't they recognize and validate the responses of their customers. Why don't they demonstrate that they care about their customers? 

it all comes down to the bottom line of the company, i.e. their revenues. from my perspective there are two ends of the spectrum that could be going on inside of EN right now, both explaining their silence towards the unrest:

- the complaints here as well as on the service desk have *not* led to significant (5%? 10%?) cancellations of paying customers. in that case they might be tempted to simply sit things out betting on eventually getting new paying customers with features to be launched in the future. the small percentage of cancellations might be  a calculated loss.

- the cancellations are indeed threatening to the financial stability of the company. in that case the silence is due to the board currently being in panic mode trying to come up with a meaningful way forward while sidelining Ian as the CEO.

without any inside knowledge only time will tell...

10 minutes ago, toao said:

it all comes down to the bottom line of the company, i.e. their revenues. from my perspective there are two ends of the spectrum that could be going on inside of EN right now, both explaining their silence towards the unrest:

- the complaints here as well as on the service desk have *not* led to significant (5%? 10%?) cancellations of paying customers. in that case they might be tempted to simply sit things out betting on eventually getting new paying customers with features to be launched in the future. the small percentage of cancellations might be  a calculated loss.

- the cancellations are indeed threatening to the financial stability of the company. in that case the silence is due to the board currently being in panic mode trying to come up with a meaningful way forward while sidelining Ian as the CEO.

without any inside knowledge only time will tell...

I can see no reason to cancel a monthly subscription now when you can continue to use the legacy version. If you have an annual subscription it's trickier as you need to make a judgement about how long the legacy will continue and whether v10 will give you the particular functionaility you need in that time. If you can not live with some of the fundamental decisions (e.g. no longer a native app) then you might go now rather than wait and see. My point is simply that cancellation of subscriptions now gives a very incomplete picture of the future.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

If you have an annual subscription it's trickier as you need to make a judgement about how long the legacy will continue

Less  risk if you convert the subscription from annual to monthly   
I thought about it but decided to renew with an annual subscription

At this time, I have no reason to cancel my subscription, or switch from Evernote    
The legacy version continues to work well for me   
I will continue to monitor the Version 10 progress to see when it becomes a valid upgrade; currently it's a work in progress

@Mike P @DTLow agree with both your thoughts...as EN is not communicating with the user base though cancellation is the only way to express ones dissatisfaction in a way that is certain to be heard. pretty sure they will allow for folks to take bake the cancellation should things indeed (and against current indications) improve over time...for me this is all water under the bridge (have cancelled and moved to DevonThink) by now, however I am following this drama now out of nostalgia and curiosity...:-)

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I'm not sure that there is an absence of communication. I keep seeing interviews with Ian Small and he is taking the criticism on the chin. For example, he says that the release of v10 into the public sphere was necessary as they had to see how the widest number of users would work with the apps.

Before release, the EN team said that version 6.25 would remain for sometime and would be useable alongside v10 and this has been possible.

My view is that the v10 release has been mishandled and poorly communicated. It is a foundation product which will allow the EN tech team to rebuild and go beyond the existing application. They didn't promise a complete product but many of us expected, assumed or otherwise thought that's what v10 would be from launch.

As it is v10.2.4 is significantly improved over some of the Beta and Preview releases but it continues to lack lots of stuff. It isn't clear what is scheduled to return apart from a few notified items.

For those that want to stay with the existing features then the legacy version is the way to go. Avoid moving to v10. If you enjoy rollercoaster rides then switch to v10. Otherwise, running both versions on a desktop does work well.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, agsteele said:

I'm not sure that there is an absence of communication. I keep seeing interviews with Ian Small and he is taking the criticism on the chin. For example, he says that the release of v10 into the public sphere was necessary as they had to see how the widest number of users would work with the apps.

I guess I saw those interviews through a different prism.  I heard this is the app that satisfies the needs of the majority of our users and the 2% will get some of their stuff, not clear as to what or when, but faster.  Could be my biased view though as the bulk of what made EN special for me evaporated in the stumble from 6.25 to 10.0.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Evernote Expert
11 hours ago, CalS said:

I guess I saw those interviews through a different prism.  I heard this is the app that satisfies the needs of the majority of our users and the 2% will get some of their stuff, not clear as to what or when, but faster.  Could be my biased view though as the bulk of what made EN special for me evaporated in the stumble from 6.25 to 10.0.  🤷‍♂️

I think we all read this stuff through a particular filter... Early on I was deeply anxious with nothing I used working.  Gradually I've seen a good number of my missing requirements restored and I've got to the point where I can do almost everything that I previously did. Some of it requires different key strokes, going to a different place in the UI or whatever but things have gradually been returning.

Right at this minute, with 6.25 still working I'm more troubled by a few persistent bugs that don't seem to be addressed but if v6.25 was withdrawn and blocked from use then my perspective would change.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, agsteele said:

Right at this minute, with 6.25 still working I'm more troubled by a few persistent bugs that don't seem to be addressed but if v6.25 was withdrawn and blocked from use then my perspective would change.

That is the point.  It will be an issue until each of us sees the things most important to us returned.  At this point V10 is a long way from healthy for me and the dismissal of the issues by Mr. Small was less than encouraging, oh it's just that pesky 2% forum types making all the noise.  

That and the slowness of the thing, patience is not one of my virtues.  I'm used to right now on my desktop version.

• Like 1

Hello.

I accept with all complains written before.

Few more from my side:

*   I was surprized and didn't believe, that a simple deleting action doesn't work with the "Delete" key anymore, and no availability to add this option! 

* No availability to define keys for yourself or to define any preferences!!!

* In addition, the shortcut at the taskbar doesn't open the Evernote interface anymore. It opens only some Scratch Pad, and if you want to open the full interface, you have to click one more button. Why do I have to click twice for a most useful option?!?!

Disapointing!  I went back to the Legacy version.

Edited by Yuri Z.
Better words, typo mistakes
  • Like 1

Been with Evernote for 10 years and this update is unbelievable. I use it to store Outlook emails which are desktop based. I do not want to be forced to use webmail. If OneNote could integrate with Outlook better I would cancel my Evernote Premium Subscription now and use it. I will have to spend time trying to find out how to roll back to 6.25 - I have not had to roll anything back for a while so this is going to be painful. I am not being a neanderthal about this but this concept and version takes Evernote out of the extremely useful category and into the rubbish bin area

• Like 2

Have now managed to view the other helpful comments from users and realised I am not alone in my frustration. I am not running or am part of a larger department or organisation - but I used to be. Now I just want things that work and get updated now and again to ensure compliance, corrective issues and provide reasonable development. I didn't want to find the plug had been removed and the changes I had made  over the years so that things could be more useful to me, effectively flushed down it. I previously found it easy to Print + Print to pdf and to  merge Outlook email on my PC with EN onto my iphone and iPad giving easy access to reminders coupled with the relevant data copied to EN notes. Fortunately I have found the link to revert to 6.25 so now don't have to remember to remove dark mode. Unfortunately iOS is stuck with 10 - thank you Evernote, I should not have allowed that update to occur.  Once I have ensured that my Evernote notes are synced locally it will be time to load the Importer for OneNote. I just need to do this before the Premium sub is due to renew in a few days time!

Quite unbelievable for an update.

When did I give permission to reformat all of my notes?🤬

They were mostly in 12pt Arial, now in 16pt San Serif. It's not even an option to change them back to Arial or my chosen font.

Would reverting back to a previous version restore the formatting?

I use it so much, I have it pinned to the taskbar. Now even that doesn't work properly. It puts another entry on the taskbar.

The only option in Tools->Preferences is "Save data at log out". Is that it?

• Like 1

Note's header area height increased, but now there are no more room for Note's Title and checkbox?

I have a feeling that this is some psychological experiment where they test how many people fight for what is logical.

Please add checkmark back to the toolbox and put title before Notebook name like on the attached image.

Also, add the tags below the note's title.

Evernote.jpg

• Like 1

I'm agree, v10 is so slow and often crashed with an error: "Quit or reopen your Evernote(something like this) - Quit | Reopen", but this buttons doesn't work and a window with an error to appear again and again! Even shortcut for find something in note doesn't work while not set a focus in right note window. After 2 weeks my patience is ended and I switched back to v6.25. It's faster, stable and better than new one.

• Like 2

I have two laptops. The old laptop (4 yrs old) is installed with the version 6.25.1.9091. The new laptop (6 months old) is installed with V10. The V10 is horribly slow even on my new laptop (after all files are synced), opening new notes are slow, worst my new notes were sometimes duplicated, and even my new laptop has larger screen ratio (16:10) it shows less information than the 6.25 version. Please get a proper UI/UX designer. Thank you.

That's right, the damn Evernote is forcing users to migrate to the new version, and the new version is like a *****! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Did not respect the customer, the customer is forced to use, ***** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Evernote... said:

That's right, the damn Evernote is forcing users to migrate to the new version

Evernote has provided the Legacy product for users not wanting to use the v10 product   
Windows/Mac users can install the Legacy product at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Level 5
4 hours ago, stuartthompson said:

I am furious.

I have used Evernote for over a decade, almost since the initial release.

….

Please restore the missing functionality, including local sync, color choice flexibility, encrypted text blocks (all previously included encrypted text block functionality), font options, and the richness of the Evernote client we have used and paid for over the last decade. This latest release is a disgrace and an insult to long-term users of the product.

The „old“ EN you define by some features is dead, no way to smoothen this over.

Short term you can use the legacy client (it is the same as the last version pre v10, but it won’t ever update).

Long term watch out to find an alternative, or make your peace with the „new“ EN.

On a Mac/iOS only setup it would be easier to drop an idea. Not so on Windows, sorry.

On 10/16/2020 at 9:09 PM, Lemayp said:

@Richard M. Ruby Several people, including myself, are using the "Legacy version" in parallel to the new version for missing feature.  You could do the same or completely switch to the legacy version until you get the proper feedback that the missing parts that are so important for you are present in the new version.  Unfortunately, this situation will have the bad consequence that you lost your original setup ...

As for the real subject of your email, I think several users are sharing your feeling.  I wished the installation of Evernote 10 would have been done directly in parallel to the previous version only.  This way I wouldn't have lost my original setup and could have experienced the new version in parallel with the several year version I had customized the way I want. 

Is it safe to run both the legacy and new versions of Evernote at the same time on the same Windows computer? 

Until yesterday, I was blissfully using the old version for years with no problems and was unaware of this v10 nonsense. Suddenly, all of my notes disappeared yesterday. After a computer restart didn't solve the problem, I decided to try reinstalling the program. This led to me trying version 10 for the first time.

Oh my gosh, v10 is awful. 🤢 After about 20-30 minutes, I uninstalled it. Thankfully I was able to find the legacy app.

• Level 5

You can continue to use legacy "as it is". No support, no changes, no bug fixes.

And you must be aware you are sitting on dead wood - the tree is growing into a different direction. Whether it is better to switch now, and adapt your use cases with  the ease of having legacy to iron some bumps out, or be forced one day when legacy simply stops working, you must decide for yourself. I would expect EN to announce when they actively quit legacy one day - but from external influences like OS changes it can happen every moment.

I hated the new Evernote when it first came out. I hated the lack of features, how slow it was, the absence of the keyboard shortcuts that I had grown to love, the UI -- pretty much everything.

After the most recent updates, I'm once again happy with Evernote. It's different from the legacy version, but it works like it should. 

• Like 5
  • Level 5*

After exporting all my notes I still use Web Evernote for the occasional look up (mostly OCRd image stuff).  The speed has improved but is still too slow for me.  But slower for me still are the extra steps to do just about anything.  Complex search in particular.  My use case anyway..

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 5/9/2022 at 9:51 PM, Coffee First Thing said:

I hated the new Evernote when it first came out. I hated the lack of features, how slow it was, the absence of the keyboard shortcuts that I had grown to love, the UI -- pretty much everything.

After the most recent updates, I'm once again happy with Evernote. It's different from the legacy version, but it works like it should. 

I'd invite the folks conversing here to respond (if they have the time to read through its verbosity!) to my post on my "conversion" to v. 10, after being appalled at it in its initial state. Somewhat like @Coffee First Thing, I find it not only usable now, but with certain advantages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anybody have the change-log for Windows version 6.25.3.9348 (and/or know of any improvements it brought/issues it created)? I've been stable and happy on 6.25.1.9091 for some time, thinking it was the latest legacy version, but recently saw 6.25.3.9348 and wondering if it's worth it.

• Evernote Expert

Hi again... 6.25.3.9348 is the last and final version of the old, now deprecated, version of Evernote. It was a release designed to run alongside v10 and I think that the most significant difference with 6.25.1.9091 is that the program icon has a grey background with a white elephant ;) It will not do any harm but you are unlikely to see any benefits if you are only running Legacy in any case. Use if you wish or not....

• Like 1