Jump to content
We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×
  • 1
Richard M. Ruby

What did you do to Evernote?

Idea

Just got updated to Evernote 10. I have been an Evernote user since December of 2011 and I am absolutely furious with you for changing the setup of my screen. I had my desktop, notebook and phone setup the way *I* wanted it. I do not give a damn about what you think as to how I should set things up.

First of all, I want to be able to have the note title above the note text. The new version only allows the list of notes to be arrange vertically on the left, with the note text on the right. If other people want to set up that way, fine. But I can see no way to reconfigure my Evernote screen. I cannot believe the arrogance it shows to your customers that you don't allow customization. 

I want to customize Evernote MY way, NOT yours. Fix it, or I quit.

Richard Ruby

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

18 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 1
10 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But for the record, pretty colors have in fact been a much-requested feature for a long time.

Shame we can't use the pretty highlighting colours on webclips without "simplify and make editable".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, Richard M. Ruby said:

The new version only allows the list of notes to be arrange vertically on the left, with the note text on the right.

This is a work-in-progress; top list view will delivered in an upcoming update  

You might be happier reverting to a legacy version 

I moved the post to the Windows Issues forum   
Let me know if it's the wrong platform

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I can see that you're not an Evernote employee, so I won't criticize you for this incredibly bad decision.

But the Evernote people need to know that one of the most valuable parts of their product is consistency and reliability. As a 9-year member, I don't want to customize my interface, I've already done that. I want to turn it on, get to my info and get moving. 

I am profoundly disappointed in Evernote for leaving this critical feature out. They did add the ability to make my notes have pretty colors. That's what they prioritize? Over me being able to set up my screen my way? Really? Are they idiots? Do they know how to satisfy customers? New releases should not take away major functions while adding gimmicks.

Someone in sales needs to go have a talk with the programmers and tell them to get MY Evernote back and to put that ahead of cutesy gadgets for the TikTok generation. I'm angry as can be with Evernote. I've been an Evangelist from the jump, and I can't tell you how many hundreds of people I've led to Evernote. If this isn't fixed, and fast, I'm going to undo all that Evangelizing. 

Stupid. Unbelievably stupid.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I'm with Richard. Releasing a dysfunctional "upgrade" like this is unbelievable, Asinine stupidity. You don't replace a solid version of software with "a work in progress" without half the features of the previous version. No excuse. About 20 min into Ver10, I was so mad I couldn't see straight. Trying to get work done and hitting walls every time I tried to do something. Back to legacy.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@Richard M. Ruby Several people, including myself, are using the "Legacy version" in parallel to the new version for missing feature.  You could do the same or completely switch to the legacy version until you get the proper feedback that the missing parts that are so important for you are present in the new version.  Unfortunately, this situation will have the bad consequence that you lost your original setup ...

As for the real subject of your email, I think several users are sharing your feeling.  I wished the installation of Evernote 10 would have been done directly in parallel to the previous version only.  This way I wouldn't have lost my original setup and could have experienced the new version in parallel with the several year version I had customized the way I want. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Lemayp said:

I wished the installation of Evernote 10 would have been done directly in parallel to the previous version only.  This way I wouldn't have lost my original setup and could have experienced the new version in parallel with the several year version I had customized the way I want. 

I got really lucky with this. I was installing it on a work computer on the remote desktop. So I did not have admin access, when the removal utility asked for the password, I hit cancel since IT wasn't around. So it did not remove it and I have both installed.

That would have made me even more mad, if I had to get 6.25 reinstalled and recreate my setup, so I get the frustration of the users for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I am back on the original version, relatively unscathed. Another aspect of the problem here that would be well advised to note by the EN team, is that they set an expectation level of a new, improved, faster, bla bla bla version that in fact was just the opposite. That's in no way a good thing to do to anyone, much less with the added trauma of "OMG, can I even undo this". All of the adjectives to describe this fiasco have been pretty much used by many users, so I'll restrain myself. Done properly, this could have turned out much, much different with a good experience for everyone. Hopefully, this will be a learning experience and could still end well, but a few fixes to speed and other items is not going to be acceptable to a huge number of paying subscribers. It needs to be a continuation of the legacy features and an upgrade, not lipstick on a pig. OK, done with this. I've wasted more than enough time with this unnecessary disaster

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Unnecesary disaster is right. The new Evernote is not what I signed up for. Everything was fine. I can't imagine why you would strip away the set up for this mess. Horrible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
21 hours ago, Richard M. Ruby said:

Just got updated to Evernote 10. I have been an Evernote user since December of 2011 and I am absolutely furious with you for changing the setup of my screen. I had my desktop, notebook and phone setup the way *I* wanted it. I do not give a damn about what you think as to how I should set things up.

First of all, I want to be able to have the note title above the note text. The new version only allows the list of notes to be arrange vertically on the left, with the note text on the right. If other people want to set up that way, fine. But I can see no way to reconfigure my Evernote screen. I cannot believe the arrogance it shows to your customers that you don't allow customization. 

I want to customize Evernote MY way, NOT yours. Fix it, or I quit.

Richard Ruby

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 10/16/2020 at 12:39 AM, Richard M. Ruby said:

But the Evernote people need to know that one of the most valuable parts of their product is consistency and reliability. As a 9-year member, I don't want to customize my interface, I've already done that. I want to turn it on, get to my info and get moving. 

I am profoundly disappointed in Evernote for leaving this critical feature out. They did add the ability to make my notes have pretty colors. That's what they prioritize? Over me being able to set up my screen my way? Really? Are they idiots? Do they know how to satisfy customers? New releases should not take away major functions while adding gimmicks.

I'm not disagreeing with anything in this thread. But for the record, pretty colors have in fact been a much-requested feature for a long time. Many people find them useful for quickly identifying or sorting out material within a note. And one of the major points of this major update is in fact consistency--but consistency across platforms, not with earlier versions, which is what is lousing so many people up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Pretty colors are nice. But prioritizing them over maintaining the existing functions is simply illogical. I'm sure a lot of people were happy when they added air conditioning to cars. But not if they had removed doors at the same time. 

This isn't a game. My organization uses Evernote a lot. Changing an easy to use setup to showcase new features is totally illogical. In other words, they took the doors off, but at least I can see the spiffy colors of the interior,

Evernote needs to understand how their product is used. They need to protect the product they make and improve it. What they've done makes me wonder if I can trust them to be there for me in the future. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I agree, supremely disappointed. What on earth were the developers thinking? Can I just use the old UI. So shocked and disappointed. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 10/16/2020 at 8:34 AM, William C said:

I'm with Richard. Releasing a dysfunctional "upgrade" like this is unbelievable, Asinine stupidity. You don't replace a solid version of software with "a work in progress" without half the features of the previous version. No excuse. About 20 min into Ver10, I was so mad I couldn't see straight. Trying to get work done and hitting walls every time I tried to do something. Back to legacy.

Evernote 10 is so bad!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...