V10 is causing excessive battery drain//overheating

puuh, another problem, while the performance was getting better since 10.0.4 I just realized how quick my battery goes down. I‘m at 12%, after playing around a bit I was at 10% then 7% - I canceled EN and was browsing the web using safari - still at 7% battery. I don‘t have the exact time, but now it really „sticks“ at 7%. - noticeable.

Seems the new framework needs a lot of CPU power.

My 2 cents : iPad mini 5 , last week , 28% of the battery was due to EN v10.

almost 10% than the 2nd "offender " ( Safari) 

I also think v10  drains the battery faster than former version ( I can't mesure this, but I see the % goes down fast  ), besides consuming a lot of power 

• Thanks 1

Hard to verify this but I did wonder about the battery use on my iPhone after it appeared to fall rapidly after using v10 early on. The other day I found that in 15 minutes on screen plus 14 minutes background it had used 7% battery, which was far hungrier than any other app in the list. But I’ve not been using it on iOS recently so it hard to confirm either way. 

• Level 5

If it uses 7% of the battery consumption, it means 7% of whatever was used. If 30% was used at that moment, 7% means it used 2.1% of the total capacity. In relation to other apps it may be that it seems a lot, but in relation to the total capacity it is quite negligible.

From my experience with battery consumption, one needs to monitor it over several days and with different use cases to get a picture of what is happening.

I am running EN 10.0.4 on an iPhone 11 iOS 14.0.1, and yesterday used EN continuously for 2 hours (for the 1st hour Battery showed a 99% EN usage, and for the 2nd hour a 83% EN usage). I started with a battery of level at 100% and after 2 hours the battery level dropped to about 45%, and the iPhone felt unusually warm. This confirmed my prior subjective experiences with shorter uses of EN v10. It seems that EN v10 has a real probable with power management that pre-v10 EN did not have.

Are other people having similar battery drain problems with EN version 10? Is there a fix being worked on?

3 小時前, Hawk說:

I am running EN 10.0.4 on an iPhone 11 iOS 14.0.1, and yesterday used EN continuously for 2 hours (for the 1st hour Battery showed a 99% EN usage, and for the 2nd hour a 83% EN usage). I started with a battery of level at 100% and after 2 hours the battery level dropped to about 45%, and the iPhone felt unusually warm. This confirmed my prior subjective experiences with shorter uses of EN v10. It seems that EN v10 has a real probable with power management that pre-v10 EN did not have.

Are other people having similar battery drain problems with EN version 10? Is there a fix being worked on?

I did have before, and EN shows about 5 times compared to notes apps like Notion and Bear with the same screen time.

Mac version does have the same problem which can make my MacBook Air turn on.

• Level 5

Hi All,

@stocky2605 @Hawk

To clarify, were you performing any specific actions when the battery drained? (Ex. Initial downsync and downloading offline notebooks may use a lot of battery. Not inconceivable to use single digit battery % in a short amount of time)

Were you possible using the Share Extension with Evernote when the battery drain/overheating occurred?

Let me know as this will help me as I further investigate into the issue.

My reported battery drain example occurred under normal use conditions.  I had already been using EN v10 for quite a while, as I update my App as soon as a new version is released. I was definitely not doing an initial downsync, nor was I downloading offline notebooks. I was not using any share extensions, and was just typing, occasionally used the Camera EN function to insert photos/scans into a note, or searching (my EN database has 11K+ notes). I was typing a mixture of English and Chinese (using Gboard for Chinese input). Other than that, nothing special.

Thanks for your investigating the battery drain issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, Mac Catalina 10.15.7, Evernote 10.3.7

Excessive Battery Drain and Fans full on

Activity Monitor says Evernote Rendering

Is it trying to render every image for every note, or are you using lazy loading and caching? In any event, it's draining my battery lightning fast.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

The process "Evernote helper(Renderer)" once a while with high frequency occupy CPU high, from installing the new evernote 10 on, my battery behave about half than before, and feel the slow system response obviously, really annoying for doing my work with high dependency with evernote, finally I installed back to the evernote legacy, the battery is back and the fan become quite again, hooray! 

my use case is: keep 5 or 6 notes opened in the background at usual time for editing quickly convenient purpose , about 14488 notes in the repo.... if any info needed to debug, would love to offer as possible as i can, hope this great app can last its high-efficiency feature :)

mbp(2015, 16GB ram, macOS Mojave)

• 3 months later...

Hi there
I might be joining the convo late, but I have the same type of issue with my macbook air - Since installing Evernote and obviously using it my battery seems to drain in about half of the time it used to before installing it. It should however be noted that my onscreen time and time using the laptop did not increase much. The same happens when I close the laptop and it goes into sleep mode.

• 1 month later...

Tried Evernote Legacy today and it's also not great on battery consumption. 

"Energy Impact" on Activity Monitor is at about 20-50, and it would take about 50% of a core. This is just to keep Evernote Renderer running.

I've switched over to just using web Evernote on Safari, and "Energy Impact" goes down to about 1 to 10. 

• Level 5

EN legacy uses appr. 20% of a core when used, which is nothing of concern. The only time it goes up to 70% is when a sync is going on. This is temporary, since any sync will only take a short period of time. When idling around in the background it goes to 0%.

Evernote Helper / … (Renderer) has nothing to do with legacy, it is part of the v10 client. There are several sessions running at the same time - when idle they sit at 0.0 - 0.2% of CPU. They got to the 10-20% region while normal editing operations, up to 30% when merging notes. Opposite to legacy more than one process is running and used, so total CPU for v10 may be in the 60-70% of a single core sometimes.

This is more or less what I expect when using an app (MacBook Pro 15“, BigSur).

It is known that sometimes in v10 a helper process seems to be running high on CPU, when the app is not used. From what forum posts tell it looks that this process is not correctly terminated. Once the app is closed (cmd-q) and restarted, things are back to normal.