We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×

I use to be able to click on a search button within a specific Notebook -- which helps greatly if you have more than a dozen notes. This super useful function is no longer available with the update, or I am failing to find it/add it.

Please add this function back! Yes, your new EN update looks clean and easy, but when a regular user actually dives into the functions, we're all finding that most of the useful tools are no longer present, making the navigation process waaaay more complicated than it needs to be. 

Has anyone figured out how to search within one notebook, instead of having the use the only search bar that searches all notes?

9 hours ago, performanceext said:

Has anyone figured out how to search within one notebook, instead of having the use the only search bar that searches all notes?

The simplest way of doing it is:

• Start in the notebook you want to search
  • Click in the search bar (or alt-ctrl-F provided your focus is on a note in the note list)
  • Immediately below the bar you will see the name of the notebook in very faint grey and "add filter"

image.png.067fb3c270fa19695b68f3e78d03f261.png

• Click add filter and then you are good to go. Other filters which are relevant to the notebook appear and you can add text into the search bar. After you have done the search you can refine it further with the filter menu if yoou choose

image.png.16172268a67981debd510f5d57073c77.png

The one thing to remember is that you cannot add what EN considers to be a filter after you have added the search text using the search bar. You can only add them using the filter menu from the filter icon. This doesn't help for notebooks because that is the one filter that doesn't appear in the filter menu.

I search for stuff in specific notebooks all day long, and this change freaked me out. Seems there should be a better way to let people know how to search in a specific notebook. The new method works OK, but it's totally not intuitive that it now works this way. I had to come here to the forum to find the answer. So yay for the forum support, but I don't think I should have had to do that, for such an important function of Evernote. 

1 hour ago, JEFFREY @ HAEGER said:

what about notebook stacks?  Anyone able to do bucket search in a stack?

I don't think it can be done. There is no filter for stacks or an ability to easily select the individual notebooks that make up the stack. You could use the search syntax to select all the different notebooks but that would be time consuming to say the least and would probably only be worth it as a one off activity to create a saved search. Happy to be proved wrong if anybody else knows of a way.

14 hours ago, Mike P said:

Happy to be proved wrong if anybody else knows of a way.

@JEFFREY @ HAEGER I've managed to prove myself wrong! In the documentation of the Evernote advanced search syntax there is no mention of being able to search within a stack. Then @s2sailor mentioned in another thread the ability to save a search of a stack in the legacy client. Well the legacy client saves searches in the search syntax format so a quick try shows that:

stack:"my stack name"

does the trick in the new client as well. I assume that if you haven't got spaces in your stack name you don't need the quotation marks.