Lost notes in update

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Hi all,

I am experiencing the same issue. My work laptop was recently upgraded to Windows 10 and when I reinstalled the latest version of Evernote, all of my notes from the last 5 years were gone. I have followed the instructions on this thread (checking Evernote web and installing the Legacy app) but my notes have still not appeared.

Are there any other routes to recovering these lost notes?

Thanks.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Elaine94 said:

Hi all,

I am experiencing the same issue. My work laptop was recently upgraded to Windows 10 and when I reinstalled the latest version of Evernote, all of my notes from the last 5 years were gone. I have followed the instructions on this thread (checking Evernote web and installing the Legacy app) but my notes have still not appeared.

Are there any other routes to recovering these lost notes?

Thanks.

Hi.  If your notes were not present when you installed the legacy app,  then you are logging in with the wrong credentials.  Try logging in via Evernote.com but use the 'lost password' process to reset your user ID.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  If your notes were not present when you installed the legacy app,  then you are logging in with the wrong credentials.  Try logging in via Evernote.com but use the 'lost password' process to reset your user ID.

Hello, I have similar issues to these posts. My phone must have performed an update and I tried to open Evernote but it said my password had expired and I needed to click “forgot password”. I reset the password from my email and it directed me to enter my name and check some boxes for different communications. When I logged back into the app all data was gone there and on the web. I tried to log in under old password but it says “you changed your password in the last 24hours”. In the app it says my account has been active since 2018 so it appears to be the old account minus the data. Can you help me get my notes back?

• Like 1

Lost my Evernote from years of use.

Who makes a program that erases all content and has no recourse to an email query about how to recover lost notes? 

I cannot get rid of the popup which pushes for a premium membership.

Who makes a program based on organization of ideas and then doesn't plan for a migration to new iteration? 

Looks to me like techno innovators are in charge and don't care about users who relied on Evernote to keep their material safe.

vv.png

I'm using Windows 10 but it says 7 in above file. I should be able to find Evernote in file explorer and drag my old files into the new version without having the complex method (which doesn't work) as explained by 'answers'.

• Level 5*
On 6/25/2021 at 2:10 PM, Ashley1234 said:

Can you help me get my notes back?

Hi.  I'm just another user,  so the answer there is 'no'.  You really need to contact Support for assistance.  Try https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (there's a 'guest' option you can use) and also https://twitter.com/evernotehelps.  If you can log in with the new password you generated,  sign into that account via Evernote.com and look for your notes there,  and for any items in the Trash notebook.  

• Level 5*
On 6/26/2021 at 9:53 AM, AtcW said:

Who makes a program that erases all content and has no recourse to an email query about how to recover lost notes? 

Hi.  See my response above.  The app (AFAIK) does not erase notes,  but inadvertently creating a new account on sign-in can make it look that way.

On 6/26/2021 at 9:53 AM, AtcW said:

techno innovators are in charge and don't care about users who relied on Evernote to keep their material safe.

If you rely on software It's often advisable to pay for it - if nothing else it gets you priority access to help if things go wrong... in both your and @Ashley1234's if the data you are missing is important,  it might be worth subscribing - even for a month or two - to get that access.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@gazumped This guy is a Basic user who exceeds his device count. From screenshots posted in another thread he is on 3, exceeding his limit. But he posted stuff all over the forum, many post like this lacking relevant information.

When he tries to force access,  EN only allows to upgrade unless he is not dumping at least one device. Since he is on Basic, no local notebooks.

The idea to draw his content from one install to another can‘t work, especially not with v10.

In that other thread I explained to him what he needs to do - dump devices or upgrade. I have better things to do than collecting his multiple posts and explain it over again.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I am missing in Evernote 10.17.6 about 4.000 notes. 

The last standing is from July 5!!

In Evernote Legacy 6.25, Evernote for Android (8.13.3) and Evernote Web are included all notes.

I signed out, reinstalled, but no change.

I have one local notebook in Legacy, but this notebook is empty.

Evernote 10 shows me that I am connected, but does not synchronize.

The Help Desk have no solution except to say update to Legacy 10

Hartmut

• Level 5

To me this sounds like a corrupted data file, somewhere deep in the installation. 

When uninstalling have you removed all existing data from the PC ? To do this the best way is to use an uninstaller, for example the REVO uninstaller.

First log out again, quit the app, then run the uninstaller. Remove every trace of EN. Then restart the PC.

Now reinstall, login and see if it syncs.

Thank you, the support had no idea. I uninstalled Evernote 10 as well as Legacy and removed all existing data. (ok, my old directory from Legacy was saved before)

My Evernote directory under the Legacy version was changed to d:/ (Maybe that this is or is part of the problem, as with Evernote 10 it is not possible to change the place of the directory).

After new installation and running Legacy I changed the directory to d:\ and copied the before saved files.

Well now I have two times the Evernote notebooks locally, one in c:\ and one in d:\ 

Hartmut

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, ha-kg said:

After new installation and running Legacy I changed the directory to d:\ and copied the before saved files.

Well now I have two times the Evernote notebooks locally, one in c:\ and one in d:\ 

Hi.  Unless you relocated the directory through the Tools > Options menu,  Evernote is going to continue to use the C:\ -based version of your database.  (Or whichever one is specified in that option)

• Level 5

Personally I doesn’t understand the sense of this approach - in the end the goal is not to duplicate the local database, but to get server and local data set in sync again.

But ok, relax and enjoy the show.

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2020 at 2:35 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

If you're encountering this issue, please try the following.

Go to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314 and download the legacy Evernote for Windows app

1. After install, open the app and sign in.
  2. At this time, you should be able to see your notes and sync.

If you can't sign in, see the steps below:

1. Select File > Sign out to view the Evernote login screen
  2. Select: Ctrl+Shift+E while viewing the login screen. to see a list that shows your email and username
  3. Select smarquet8

This will create a new folder on your Desktop that contains a separate .enex file for each notebook within that account. After logging into Evernote you have two options to import the notes:

1. Double click the .enex to open it in Evernote. This will automatically import those notes into your account's default notebook.
  2. Select: File > Import > Evernote Export Files, and select the .enex file. Each .enex will import as a separate notebook.

If you're still encountering issues, please let me know.

I downloaded the Legacy Evernote app, but still don't see any of the notes I used to have on my account. I went to use the app on Monday and saw I had been signed out, I created a new password and signed in, but all of my notes were gone. They're not showing up on Evernote Web either. Can you please help me resolve this issue?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Taryn Varricchio said:

I downloaded the Legacy Evernote app, but still don't see any of the notes I used to have on my account. I went to use the app on Monday and saw I had been signed out, I created a new password and signed in, but all of my notes were gone. They're not showing up on Evernote Web either. Can you please help me resolve this issue?

Hi.  The fact you created a new password suggests you also created a new account,  hence the lack of notes.  Try signing in to Evernote.com but use the 'forgot password' option with just your user name to check that you have the correct details.

On 8/26/2021 at 5:15 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  The fact you created a new password suggests you also created a new account,  hence the lack of notes.  Try signing in to Evernote.com but use the 'forgot password' option with just your user name to check that you have the correct details.

Hi, I had created the new password after I clicked “forgot password”.

• Level 5

The mistake happened before: You most likely created a new User, by making a typo when entering your userID.

Then of course the password did not match, so it assumed you had forgotten it.

But it is the wrong account, not the wrong password.

Log out of that bogus account (best practices to erase it - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360056549574 ).

Make sure now to type the correct userID, and log into your real account.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:48 PM, gazumped said:

I am having a similar issue and I have confirmed that my credentials are correct and am still experiencing the same problem. My notes have still not been recovered. Is there any other way of recovering my notes?

• Level 5

You could try to access support as a guest. Not sure how far you get this way. Pick any ticket type that seems to work, briefly explain why you go down this road, ask for a ticket to be opened and send to your mail.

Once you have a ticket number, you can use email to communicate.

• Like 1