(Archived) I want to log out and into a new account

calvarystand

Idea

The company where I work is going to start using evernote. I want to log out on my personal account and log into my work account. I can't find a log out command in the software. I see a sign in and sign out on the web version, but not on my computer. Any help?

19 replies to this idea

I have heard of people having problems with that third-party "account switcher" app, so I'd be careful if you decide to use it. (Make good backups, etc.)

Thank you. Good to know. I was about the do backup but I can't find the location of the files.

Would you tell me where is the database stored in OSX?

Is there some reason to not just keep two Evernote databases and manually renaming them before launching the app, so that your structure could look something like this at any given moment?

Library / Application Support / Evernote <------------- business database running

Library / Application Support / Evernote_personal

or

Library / Application Support / Evernote_business

Library / Application Support / Evernote <------------- personal database running

I agree, renaming them could be potentially safer approach to do than what is "Evernote Account Switcher" application doing. When you change the account using EAS it will backup current user database to "Accounts" subfolder and restore other account database by replacing the whole database. This seems to be a heavy hand approach and would probably be OK with small databases (e.g. only notes no files) but with increasing size of database that might be the least efficient approach to use multiple accounts on same machine.

POST EDIT:

Wrong - I was mistaken. The reason why the above "renaming" approach would actually not work is because it would completely confuse the Time Machine. So the approach which EAS is taking is the correct one and it works, even though it is the least efficient approach.

Unlinke Evernote for Windows which can use registry to store user folder data it seems Evernote for Mac has only one setting for the path to the database and that is not accessible. Therefore the AES application approach... The rename approach would not work.

Hope Evernote will include this functionality. Same as with email accounts, there are good privacy and security reasons for having multiple Evernote accounts.

I interpreted Rob's requests as going the other way around. He has two different desktop logins on his Mac computer, and wants to access the same Evernote account from both of them without creating a redundant local database file in each Mac home directory.

Is there some reason to not just keep two Evernote databases and manually renaming them before launching the app, so that your structure could look something like this at any given moment?

Library / Application Support / Evernote <------------- business database running

Library / Application Support / Evernote_personal

or

Library / Application Support / Evernote_business

Library / Application Support / Evernote <------------- personal database running

If you use "Log Out..." in OS X from one account, and then Log In to a second desktop login on that Mac, then all of the apps on the first account quit cleanly. I.e. Evernote *should* work correctly in this case.

If you use the "fast account switching" feature of OS X, then apps in both accounts keep running, so they'd step on the same files.

But, again, that's all potentially dangerous, so I'd recommend a good backup first.

The permissions on the files may also be an issue, since they'll be owned on one account that may not be writable by the other.

I.e. this probably isn't worth saving 1 GB of disk space.

In theory, you could set up a Unix symbolic link from one of the Mac logins (~/Library/Application Support/Evernote) to point to the folder in the other Mac home directory so that they'd use the same files on disk.

This would be kind of a tricky operation, however, and isn't really supported since we don't test this ... i.e. if "make a symbolic link" doesn't make sense to you already, then I wouldn't go down that route.

Thanks. Question: since I am but one person and can't actually be using both accounts at the same instant (though both are logged in), am I inherently protected from access conflicts? I guess this comes down to: when does Evernote flush its write buffers? A good policy would seem to be: whenever the user switches accounts (if not before).

Although…if I start a sync operation in one account, and then quickly switch to the other account before it finishes, could there be conflict potential?

Would really appreciate this getting worked out for real.

In theory, you could set up a Unix symbolic link from one of the Mac logins (~/Library/Application Support/Evernote) to point to the folder in the other Mac home directory so that they'd use the same files on disk.

This would be kind of a tricky operation, however, and isn't really supported since we don't test this ... i.e. if "make a symbolic link" doesn't make sense to you already, then I wouldn't go down that route.

I have the opposite problem: I use two different user accounts on my Mac simultaneously. I'd like both accounts to access the same local Evernote database, but as it is right now, each account keeps its own copy, wasting a lot of disk space. There should be a way to put the database in /Users/Shared (and use locking or some other technology to prevent conflicting changes from multiple user accounts).

We'd recommend that you use a single Premium account and use different notebooks to partition your different categories of notes rather than trying to chop them up into separate Evernote accounts.

If you really need to have two completely separate accounts for a single actual human person, I'd recommend using a web browser to access the second account.

This is not helpful at all..

Most people have multiple accounts at Evernote not to save money but because of security reasons.

I want to have work notes separate from personal notes and that separate from my school notes. I leave Evernote open sometimes and other people play with my computer. I don't want them to play around and see my personal stuff. Locking notes or folders wouldn't help either because it's still stored in the same database. I don't want to keep things in the same database either.

Windows had (or had??) an option to log out and select another account to log-in. Since I switched to Mac, I can't say if this option was removed or never existed on Mac.

So if we want to switch accounts we have to be either nice to Evernote mods to request to add this feature or use Virtual machines to do it. Alternatively you could use Evernote Account Switcher to do it... I can't post link here because it's going to be deleted, for sure. Go to Softpedia and search for Evernote Account Switcher.

Good luck.

It's not a category issue - I want to share notes among a group of people. Until sharing matures in the clients, I would not be able to use my own account to fulfill these needs. Sadly, using the web browser adds more steps if going through the Mac.

One step forward, two steps back.

Thanks anyway.

Brian

We'd recommend that you use a single Premium account and use different notebooks to partition your different categories of notes rather than trying to chop them up into separate Evernote accounts.

If you really need to have two completely separate accounts for a single actual human person, I'd recommend using a web browser to access the second account.

I was going to explore the use of a second account for my workplace and was shocked to find I can't switch to a second account on the Mac. Is this a limitation of the Mac OS, or something that just hasn't been built into EN yet?

Thanks,

Brian

The Mac client stores all of the data for your account in the 'Library' folder of your Mac home directory. If you change your login information, it will throw away that database and download everything from the second account to replace it.

If two different people are using separate Evernote accounts from a Mac, we recommend that they use separate Mac login accounts, since that will keep each of their data separate.

For one person trying to access two different Evernote accounts from a Mac, I'd recommend using the web interface for one of the accounts.

Archived