Tried to move > 100 notes from one notebook to another

Vincent Noel

Idea

Hey all,

I tried to move > 100 notes from one notebook to another. Only 50 notes were moved.

It looks like there is a limit on the number of notes that can be moved in one go. This looks like a regression from version < 10.x.

In addition, the interface does not make clear at all that only 50 notes are going to be moved. This can lead to problems.

15 replies to this idea

Guest Siddharth Gurjar

Hi @Vincent Noelinteresting choice to move more than 100 notes into another notebook. Can you please tell us why so many notes needed to move at one time? Does this fit into your regular workflow on Evernote? 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Siddharth Gurjar said:

Hi @Vincent Noelinteresting choice to move more than 100 notes into another notebook. Can you please tell us why so many notes needed to move at one time? Does this fit into your regular workflow on Evernote? 

Simple use case is you have an old projects notebook and when you close the project you move all notes tagged with projectname to the old projects notebook.

• Like 2
On 10/14/2020 at 3:42 PM, Vincent Noel said:

Hey all,

I tried to move > 100 notes from one notebook to another. Only 50 notes were moved.

It looks like there is a limit on the number of notes that can be moved in one go. This looks like a regression from version < 10.x.

In addition, the interface does not make clear at all that only 50 notes are going to be moved. This can lead to problems.

max. 50 notes can be selected, yes, it's a limitation.

• Level 5

This is a quite normal action - another use case could be to move a bunch of notes into a new notebook created to share the information with somebody else.

For example: I share the documents for my tax declaration yearly with my accountant. This is typically appr. 250 notes, that I move to a new, shared notebook.

A limit of 50 is low and means the action needs to be repeated.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 10/14/2020 at 6:42 AM, Vincent Noel said:

Hey all,

We're told the 50 limitation is a temporary restriction
@Siddharth Gurjar can you confirm?

am I the only one finding the question from @Siddharth Gurjar odd? why do users have to "justify" moving more than 50 notes? in other words, why was there a limit imposed in the 1st place (it did not exist in the fully featured "legacy" apps)? why doesn't EN have information about the use cases of its customer base and consider them during product development? why are they only trying to find out after the fact, i.e. the official release of a new stripped down version?...the damage is obviously done, but why not try to do a systematic fact finding mission at least now instead of one off? so many questions...

• Like 4
  • Level 5

Why is this an odd question ?

A user is posting something in the forum, an employee from EN shows by and wants to get a better understanding of how to adapt the limit. For this use cases are helpful. So we are collecting ideas. Probably they have to get a feeling of how many notes should be allowed in one "package". It sounds like there is an internal table  in the software that needs to be dimensioned.

We had a lot of discussions in the forum that EN staff would not care. Now they care, and nothing about it is "odd". I welcome their participation.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, toao said:

am I the only one finding the question from @Siddharth Gurjar odd? why do users have to "justify" moving more than 50 notes? in other words, why was there a limit imposed in the 1st place (it did not exist in the fully featured "legacy" apps)? why doesn't EN have information about the use cases of its customer base and consider them during product development? why are they only trying to find out after the fact, i.e. the official release of a new stripped down version?...the damage is obviously done, but why not try to do a systematic fact finding mission at least now instead of one off? so many questions...

@toao I thought it was a VERY odd question... it is one thing to ask a user to justify a use case for some action that really has no clear/apparent reason they would need to be doing that often.  It is a very different thing to ask it about the 50 note limitation.  Also, two weeks after the original post it is even more odd for Evernote staff to finally surface on the topic and ask a question that seems to suggest they thought 50 would be more than anyone would ever need to move (which I just can't imagine being the case)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Why is this an odd question ?

A user is posting something in the forum, an employee from EN shows by and wants to get a better understanding of how to adapt the limit. For this use cases are helpful. So we are collecting ideas. Probably they have to get a feeling of how many notes should be allowed in one "package". It sounds like there is an internal table  in the software that needs to be dimensioned.

We had a lot of discussions in the forum that EN staff would not care. Now they care, and nothing about it is "odd". I welcome their participation.

fully agree that it is more than welcome for EN staff to get involved here. this is actually perfect.

my issue with the question is that it is happening weeks after the question as well as month(s?) after the decision to launch the mutilated V10 release and then on just one out of at least tens if not more serious shortcomings considering the remainder of the feedback on here over the last few weeks...

wouldn't it make sense to at least now have a structured process to find out about use cases, prioritize them and then communicate an action plan based on that? I mean this should have happened months if not years ago, maybe when Ian took office, instead of one offs now as well intended as they surely are...

• Level 5*

I must admit my first reaction was “Huh?”.  Mostly the “interesting choice” phrasing.  Never want to punish anyone for curiosity or participation, thank you @Siddharth Gurjar.  

Second reaction based on everything else in these forums the last weeks was the vacuum in which these V10’s were created.  

• Like 3
On 11/2/2020 at 11:40 PM, Siddharth Gurjar said:

FYI I sometimes rethink the organisation of my notebooks and when that happens I move tons of notes from one notebook to another (for instance merging or splitting notebooks). 

Moving hundreds of notes from one notebook to another has never been a problem in previous versions of Evernote.

A related problem is that since you can't select more than 50 notes at a time, you can't act on all the notes at once within a specific notebook. This is actually quite frequent if you want to tag plenty of notes at once.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This limitation is terrible. I’m constantly rethinking my organization and want to try new ways of increasing the efficiency of anccessing the information in my notes. Retagging or changing the tagging nomenclature is a couple times annually for me. It looks to me like, in the bare-bones “upgrade” of the new version, they took out the processing guts of the program and are now doing this on the server side, so they are trying to reduce the operations on the server-side that really should be don’t locally, but they changed the app and now we have a much less useful product. This limitation is incredibly bad. Just last night I realized that I a better way to organize my stuff was to move a large group of notes from other notebooks and into one other one and just tag them with the name that I was using for the notebook, because I need them to be available when I’m not in that notebook. There were 1700 notes in the notebook. I had to select 100, and then tag them, then move them into the new notebook,

then select 100 more, and then tag them, then move them into the new notebook,

then select 100 more, and then tag them, then move them into the new notebook.

Etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

It felt like 1990.

If Evernote doesn’t want us to use more than a trickle of server processing, then they clearly need to move the processing back to the local app where it belongs.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

There is a way to raise the limit to a little below 1.000. You can as well separate local action and sync for multi note operations, speeding things up.

Actually I don’t believe you will do operations on hundreds of notes every other day. So stick with what you have. It will do the job for the occasional cleanup.

Want to learn some tricks: Forum search is your friend.

• Sad 1
On 11/3/2020 at 9:30 AM, stocky2605 said:

max. 50 notes can be selected, yes, it's a limitation.

Hey,

thanks. Now it seems to be 100 - I have over 10k notes and need to re-arrange them by tagging.

It is by far almost impossible to get the work done with only selecting max. 100 notes at a time!

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks a lot!!

On 6/17/2023 at 12:55 AM, llgh said:

If Evernote doesn’t want us to use more than a trickle of server processing, then they clearly need to move the processing back to the local app where it belongs.

Hey mate,

yes I totally agree with you!! 👍