Refreshing a search

Mike P

Idea

In the legacy version I search and get a list of notes. If I update one of the notes e,g remove a tag that is in the search criteria the note immediately disappers from the view. Awesome behaviour!

In the new version we have two issues:

1. When I make the change it takes some time for the changes to be reflected on the server and hence in the search. This is much faster than it was but is still a significant delay

2. You cannot easily refresh the search. It doesn't happen dynamically like in the legacy version. You have to go back to all notes and then either construct the search again or if it is saved click the saved search. A simple refresh the search button would make this alot easier.

• Like 1

9 replies to this idea

This is a pretty big problem for me as well - If I move a note between notebooks, I really need that to be reflected in saved searches (that filter by notebook) immediately.   It makes the saved searches just feel broken, and really breaks my workflow. :(

I have found that even clicking off the search results and then reselecting it often does not update the search results.

• Like 1

I'm with you all on this.

Legacy and new version. Still the same problems occur.

Example: You update a tag, reminder, etc. It will not reflect on the changes made with the Saved Search query. The note therefore still remains in the list, but what should have happened is it should disappear from the list if the search criteria doesn't match the saved search query. 

Please evernote fix this :) 

• Like 1

Same here. I've been using the Legacy version for months and just decided to try the new version now that the keyboard shortcuts have been updated with the newest release. After using Evernote for a decade I'm very annoyed that saved searches are not updating immediately, as described above.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, SarahSP said:

After using Evernote for a decade I'm very annoyed that saved searches are not updating immediately, as described above.

In the release notes for 10.6 (13 Jan) it says:

• Tag filter reindexing is now a lot faster. Add a tag to a note, filter by that tag and the note should near immediately be available via the filtered list (we’re still working on real time updates to tag filters that are active)  

I would agree that tag filter reindexing is now much faster but it's a shame that there is still no progress on the real time updates.

• Like 1

+1 on this.

In the old versions of the Windows and iOS apps, a change to a record that changed the Save Search results immediately showed up.  Now, you have to force it (sometimes several times like several refreshes / reloads) to get your Saved Search / Search Results to reflect changes.  Even a deleted note will still show up in a search result for some time.  

• Like 1

Evernote:

Something is architecturally wrong with the  app if this is not possible near-instantaneously.  Tagging should be a relational database.  Once the change is committed, run the search again. Walla!

This is the customer requirement.  It's how every tagging system works, via long-established norms.  If you have chosen to go another path because of some decision in the past, now is the time to change.  This is the customer requirement.

• Like 1

I started this thread a very long time ago. For me (Windows 10.58.8) the search list normally updates instantaneously when I for example delete the searched for tag from a note in the list.

• Level 5

When a thread goes silent after only a few posts, and stays that way for 2 years, nobody can say „I have exactly the same problem“.

The app has passed through 30 releases cycles - this alone make the claim „exactly the same problem“ objectively wrong.

If then no details are posted, I am in doubt if the post needs to be taken serious at all.

In this case I tried to reproduce, and came out blank.

• Like 1