Pasting "Internal Link" no longer inserts classic in-app links

• 4 weeks later...

If you tap on the three dots in the upper right corner of a note and select "Copy internal link", an external link is produced (https://www.evernote.com....) instead of an internal one.
And that is a big problem. Because if you have copied this link into another note and click on it on your Mac, the note will open in the web browser and not in EN.
Please fix!

• Like 1

I do not fully understand the differentiation between the different types of links.

In the IOS version of EN there are the following types of links:
(1) Share note / Share link
(2) Share note / send, export and more
(3) Three dots top right / Copy internal link

For all three variants, this is a link that begins as follows: https://www.evernote.com/shard/.....

Always the same link?
Or is it not the same link?

Confused!

On the Iphone or Ipad the links work. You tap on them. And within EN for IOS the desired note opens.

But if I copy a link into another note on the Iphone or Ipad and click on this link on the Mac (EN for MAC, still Version 7!), the desired note opens in the web browser. But I do not want that!

How do I have to link notes ON THE IPAD OR IPHONE so that ON THE MAC the note does not open in the web browser but in EN for MAC?

The link functionality is useless as it is now. When I copy a link to a note and share it with someone who has access to the same notebook the link opens Evernote on iOS, but not the desired note. They still have to search for the note. In previous versions it used to work properly, as you expect: a link opens a note. Not anymore :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, HSM said:

I do not fully understand the differentiation between the different types of links.

In the IOS version of EN there are the following types of links:
(1) Share note / Share link
(2) Share note / send, export and more
(3) Three dots top right / Copy internal link

For all three variants, this is a link that begins as follows: https://www.evernote.com/shard/.....

Always the same link?
Or is it not the same link?

Confused!

On the Iphone or Ipad the links work. You tap on them. And within EN for IOS the desired note opens.

But if I copy a link into another note on the Iphone or Ipad and click on this link on the Mac (EN for MAC, still Version 7!), the desired note opens in the web browser. But I do not want that!

How do I have to link notes ON THE IPAD OR IPHONE so that ON THE MAC the note does not open in the web browser but in EN for MAC?

@HSM 

Support for "xcallback" links (url scheme) was removed a few years ago on iOS. 
They still exist on macOS (Desktop version) by right-clicking on a note and holding down "Opt". The link copy menu changes to show a classic link (xcallback Link).

This xcallback link then works on macOS, iOS and iPadOS. But it is impossible to create it from iOS/iPadOS.

To learn more about the applications compatible with these url scheme : 
https://app-talk.com/

And for Evernote exclusively it's this way:
https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/note_links.php

I've been struggling for years with Evernote support to get them to reintegrate this feature on iOS, to no avail...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Angone said:

@HSM 

Support for "xcallback" links (url scheme) was removed a few years ago on iOS. 
They still exist on macOS (Desktop version) by right-clicking on a note and holding down "Opt". The link copy menu changes to show a classic link (xcallback Link).

This xcallback link then works on macOS, iOS and iPadOS. But it is impossible to create it from iOS/iPadOS.

To learn more about xcallback links it's here :
https://app-talk.com/

And for Evernote exclusively it's this way:
https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/note_links.php

I've been struggling for years with Evernote support to get them to reintegrate this feature on iOS, to no avail...

@Angone @HSMThis function no longer works in Version 10 :(

Thank you! But I don’t want to learn something about „xcallback links“. I just want, that my „internal links“, that i produce in the IOS-Version, will be opened in the MAC-Version by EN (Mac) and not by EN (Web)!

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, HSM said:

That is the request    
Previously we had a Classic in-app link (evernote://...)

17 minutes ago, HSM said:

Thank you! But I don’t want to learn something about „xcallback links“. I just want, that my „internal links“, that i produce in the IOS-Version, will be opened in the MAC-Version by EN (Mac) and not by EN (Web)!

@HSM

You haven't been able to for a few years now. Evernote has removed this possibility on iOS.

Yet I'm doing a big job to get them to reintegrate it... 
I get thrown out every time...

@psimoons

I stay on version 7.14 on macOS to keep this function.

I don’t think, this is correct. All the last years it was always the case that an internal link, which I produced on Iphone/Ipad, was opened on the Mac with EN Mac and not with EN Web.

And I also stay on 7.14 for Mac. But on Mac the internal links open with EN Web since EN IOS 10.0

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, HSM said:

I don’t think, this is correct. All the last years it was always the case that an internal link, which I produced on Iphone/Ipad, was opened on the Mac with EN Mac and not with EN Web.

And I also stay on 7.14 for Mac. But on Mac the internal links open with EN Web.

@HSM

Yes, this is correct...
Reread everything I wrote... It's not complicated...

A classic link created on macOS will open this link in Evernote desktop.
A link created on iOS will always open the browser on macOS. 

If you have found another method, we would be curious to hear about it.

I'm talking about links between different applications... Of course...
Not inside Evernote....

Edit : 
I just tested an internal link created in Evernote iOS. 
Indeed, on macOS it opens the browser.

So the internal link in Evernote iOS is broken.
As 80% of the functions of this Evernote 10...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Angone said:

A link created on iOS will always open the browser on macOS. 

This is new in Evernote/IOS v10   
Previously the links were inserted as in-app links when pasted into notes

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Angone said:

Edit : 
I just tested an internal link created in Evernote iOS. 
Indeed, on macOS it opens the browser.

So the internal link in Evernote iOS is broken.
As 80% of the functions of this Evernote 10...

@HSM @DTLow

If only I hadn't done this v10 iOS update...

But my decision is made... I find myself in mobility, working with a tool that is losing notes, impossible to search by date of creation and so many other bugs...

Inconceivable at the professional level. And as they don't want to give us the old version... 

I leave Evernote. 
There are alternative solutions nowadays to Evernote.

Sorry, I was talking about internal links outside of Evernote and not IN Evernote.

• Like 1

One of the primary reasons that I settled on Evernote was because of the ease of linking notes to other applications, like my task manager. Prior to v10 all of these links were working. Now, on Mac it opens a web version (bad but functional) but in iOS it opens the Evernote app and does.   

Virtually every user of Things, Todoist, OmniFocus, MS office was using this linking feature.  It was a key differentiator between Evernote and OneNote which uses a more complex, yet functional linking system. 

Meanwhile, Apple Notes has been enhancing its sharing capabilities. 
This renders Evernote virtually useless for many users.  

As I have tried to adapt to the “new” Evernote I keep finding more little “touches” that appear designed to frustrate the users who pay a premium for features. Unless you are just writing simple notes and not interacting with any other software Evernote is fundamentally broken. If that is the case then you are probably a non-paying user that could just as easily use Google Keep or Simple Notes. 

I hope they pull the nose up quickly, right now this “update “ risks augering the Company into the ground....

+1

With this new version, many features that made the difference with competing applications have disappeared. No more internal link. No more context menu. Features that are less practical than before. It sucks.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm new on this forum, but why aren't there any responses from Evernote in here? I'm just trying to get an idea of whether Evernote is moving forward here and taking our feedback, or if the priority is somewhere else.

My annual account gets charged in 8 days and I'm noting all the stuff happening here.

• 1 year later...

There is an iOS shortcut posted here that will convert the web shortcut to an internal shortcut:

https://rthr.me/2020/10/evernote-internal-links/

thanks @Mike304 This shortcut you pointed to works great. 

here’s my rough workflow to use it:

- in destination note in iOS V10+, do “Copy Internal Link” from the note drop-down three dots Menu.

- move to note where link is desired. Paste - this creates a link to the destination note using the note Title as text. It also places the cursor at the end of the new link, so the Edit Link function is available.

- now I say “Hey Siri, Convert Evernote Link” - invoking the Shortcut at the link you provided.

- then I click to edit the link. I place the cursor at the end of the “bad” link.

- I do Select All and then Paste and then Apply the change to the link.

Now the link behaves properly on iOS and Windows V10 Evernote, and presumably MacOS as well.

It gets pretty automatic after a while.

Best,

—John

• Thanks 1