App Performance Issues: Slowness/Poor Responsiveness/Lag

• Level 5

Not my experience. Maybe it depends on some aspects of usage that are hard to isolate.

If you observe anything that can be tracked down, it would be a service to yourself and other users to contact support, including the activity log.

Anyhow, the current workaround is to quit the app and restart it. Not great, but workable.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me how to rollback to v7? I am using EN on Big Sur in a MacBook Pro (Mid 2015)

I am so exasperated using v10. The old version was super quick while this one is so slowwww. It is so slow that every time I scan something in, I might as well go get a coffee before I can come back to work on the note. Aren't updates supposed to improve a software? 

Is there anything Evernote Corp can do about this state of affair? If performance remain so bad over time, I may consider moving away to other alternatives. EN, if you are not careful, you stand to lose a significant base of your loyal users who rely on this platform for their document and life / business archive.

• Like 1
On 10/30/2020 at 2:54 AM, AviDee said:

IMO the problem isn’t necessarily that it’s Electron. Slack’s Electron app is quite zippy.

It’s the speed. It’s the unoptimized nature. It’s the broken integration. I suppose that’s fixable but I’m still waiting for the acknowledgement.

Slack's Electron app had a very checkered history and they deal with rendering that's orders of magnitude easier than Evernote. I can understand the desire to move to a common codebase but it comes with a lot of danger we're seeing here.

IMHO every executive at Evernote should be forced to use the app with it preloaded with an extra 50K of mixed, substantial notes. They should be ahead of the performance issues, not playing catchup.

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

Almost a year since this thread was created and we're still experiencing lag/responsiveness issues.😂  😢

Pretty much sums up the frustrations loyal users have had with EN and why so many have left in favour of much better apps that are out there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

After way more than a decade of Evernote, I left for Joplin and Obsidian, not the least because they both work like a charm on iOS, OSX, and Linux.

That said, I think EN is the best note taking app out there, but the lag issues converted it to a show stopper. I to this date don’t like/use the “native” (hah!) Slack & Teams clients, or VS Code for those same reasons: If your app freezes, your productivity and flow takes a nose dive, and with a few of them, just plain crashes.

I wonder when the these companies will finally awaken and understand that Electron is crapware…

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have now resorted to using the Edge web app for Evernote, performance is great but I am not sure what limitations I will face over the week ahead.  I use Evernote every day most of the day so it is vital.  However the main Evernote app is always to of the CPU and Memory activity monitor stats and slows down the Mac too much.

I am using an M1 MacBook Pro macOS 12.0.1 Evernote 10.22.3

• Sad 1
On 8/13/2021 at 10:24 PM, fnl said:

After way more than a decade of Evernote, I left for Joplin and Obsidian, not the least because they both work like a charm on iOS, OSX, and Linux.

That said, I think EN is the best note taking app out there, but the lag issues covered it to a show stopper. I to this date don’t like/use the “native” (hah!) Slack & Teams clients, or VS Code for those same reasons: If your app freezes, your productivity and flow takes a nose dive, and with a few of them, just plain crashes.

I wonder when the these companies will finally awaken and understand that Electron is crapware…

I think your last sentence needs to be reconsidered: Joplin is written in Electron 😉

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ghon said:

I think your last sentence needs to be reconsidered: Joplin is written in Electron 😉

Indeed? I’ll be damned. I wonder how a few Electron apps can be so fast, yet so many others have these unresponsive phases in between that make them unusable.

• Level 5

The current electron version AFAIK predates the release of M1 and is not optimized for the native ARM processor code. So it runs emulated.

Once EN updates it (which must be done for all desktop clients, not only for the few M1 users), it will support the M1 natively.

Other apps may already run the updated framework.

46 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The current electron version AFAIK predates the release of M1 and is not optimized for the native ARM processor code. So it runs emulated.

Once EN updates it (which must be done for all desktop clients, not only for the few M1 users), it will support the M1 natively.

Other apps may already run the updated framework.

Are you suggesting that this rebuild will make it run faster on Windows PC's and handheld devices as well? We've all been waiting for EN to speed up their app to previous generation performance! 

• Level 5

This is about performance on M1 Macs. Since they do not run on an x86 instruction code, all software needs to be adapted - or it needs to emulate an x86 (Intel/AMD) processor, which pulls down performance.

The current framework on which EN is running AFAIK does not support the M1 natively - which creates specific performance problems there.

If an updated framework will as well speed up operations on Windows PCs - no idea. Personally I doubt it, there is no specific issue there when comparing the current and the future framework. Think of the framework as a Chrome(ium) based browser, having the app as front end, instead of a web site. Now exchange the browsers release, but still run the same app /open the same web site. Usually it does not really get massively snappier with a browser update, right ?

But I could be wrong, just my 5ct as a user.

I'm a paid user of Evernote but I will NOT tolerate the slow responsiveness of the "new" Evernote, nor will I tolerate Evernote consuming 1GB of RAM on my M1 MacBook Air even while I'm not using the program.

The leadership at Evernote has FAILED its users so we, the users, MUST make a statement by NOT renewing our paid subscriptions until new leadership is at the helm of Evernote and releases a proper, usable note program.

I cancelled my subscription.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Your choice.

Just as a matter of fact: When you quit the program, it won’t use any RAM.

As long as you keep it running in the background, it holds everything in memory that it needs to start up immediately when you call it. As I understand the design of Apples M1 chip it swaps unused parts of the RAM to the very fast SSD when in need of RAM. This part of the resources usage is managed for you seamlessly.

So to say „it occupies RAM when started“ is just stating an obvious fact. You won’t complain about paying rent for your living room either just because you are in the kitchen at the moment.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Your choice.

Just as a matter of fact: When you quit the program, it won’t use any RAM.

As long as you keep it running in the background, it holds everything in memory that it needs to start up immediately when you call it. As I understand the design of Apples M1 chip it swaps unused parts of the RAM to the very fast SSD when in need of RAM. This part of the resources usage is managed for you seamlessly.

So to say „it occupies RAM when started“ is just stating an obvious fact. You won’t complain about paying rent for your living room either just because you are in the kitchen at the moment.

Agree 💯%

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Brand new Macbook Pro M1 Pro, runs my heavyweight video and photo editing apps like a champ.

Try to open a note taking app I pay for... wait 20 seconds to start and get to the point where it can display a simple note. Search for / click on a note... another 4-5 seconds. All this while eating a gig of memory.

I'm tired of waiting for Evernote Corp to get its act together. Can someone show me to the exit? Any reliable ways to move 2500 notes over to OneNote or another platform?

• Level 5
11 hours ago, kuhneng said:

Brand new Macbook Pro M1 Pro, runs my heavyweight video and photo editing apps like a champ.

Try to open a note taking app I pay for... wait 20 seconds to start and get to the point where it can display a simple note. Search for / click on a note... another 4-5 seconds. All this while eating a gig of memory.

I'm tired of waiting for Evernote Corp to get its act together. Can someone show me to the exit? Any reliable ways to move 2500 notes over to OneNote or another platform?

If you have a new mac (or a fresh installation on an older mac) EN needs to create a new local database. In my experience this can take many hours (or even days for a large database). At least for me, the key was to leave the app open continuously until the database reached its full size (monitored with app cleaner). My new M1 (in early 2021) used massive amounts of CPU, disk access and power initially—at the same time, slowing functions like creating new notes. I don't know if this problem is true for others, or if it has been remedied in more recent app updates.

As a rule, I just leave the app open all the time, and new notes can be created in a second or less.

FWIW launching EN on my M1 macbook is much faster than on my 4-year old Intel imac.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Not to pile on, but I just bought a new M1Max Macbook Pro with 32GB RAM, and the Evernote client I am running (10.31.6) is unusable.  When I load the client, it takes 10-12 seconds before the UI loads (I have gigabit internet) and then roughly 50% of the time the ui hangs in some sort of loading progress indicator.  What has happened to our Evernote?  I have used it for years as a premium subscriber but this is really bad.  

On 2/24/2022 at 2:59 PM, cajazzer said:

Not to pile on, but I just bought a new M1Max Macbook Pro with 32GB RAM, and the Evernote client I am running (10.31.6) is unusable.

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, Evernote released an update yesterday that fixes poor performance on the M1 Macs.

See:

Just coming here to say Evernote's last update resulted in amazing results on my MBA M1 2020. The loading spinning thing that showed at every note change is something from the past now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1