App Performance Issues: Slowness/Poor Responsiveness/Lag

• Administrator

Hi there,

I've modified the title of this thread to more accurately reflect the issue.

You can find the Windows equivalent here:

• Like 1

Doh, sorry, wrong channel, this is iOS, I am complaining about the Mac version (but getting worried that this will happen to my iOS app soon, too, if they update...)

Completely agree.  I'm rolling back to older version due to the lag.  The speed of Evernote is one of its greatest assets.  This NEEDS to be resolved.  

• Like 4

I am also experiencing lag in version v10.1.7. For example when double-clicking on a note in the note list, it takes 2 to 4 seconds for the note contents to appear in the new window.

• Like 1
  • Dragging in images is broken. It‚Äôs in this somewhat working state, where the image shows up, but if you click the menu blob on top, and specify to save the image, and then pick a location on your disk, nothing happens.
  • I have notes with embedded content that fails to load. It loads just fine-ish on the web version, which is surprising.
  • AppleScript support is gone.
  • Smart quotes don‚Äôt work.
  • You used to be able to get a small window for new notes, but that‚Äôs gone.

But the main problem is speed. I click on the ‚ÄúNew Note‚ÄĚ button, and then switch apps and do something else, because it‚Äôll literally take 5 seconds to make a new note.

I don’t know what to say. In the big scare in 2018, I doubled-down, and was happy to pay for premium because I like paying for tools on which I build my life. I’ve already started a list of Evernote options to investigate.

OK, here’s the repro.

1. Make a new note
  2. Drag a web image into it
  3. Do a ‚ÄúGet Info‚ÄĚ on the note

In the old Evernote, the image is actually embedded. If the image you dragged in was 1MB, then the note will be 1MB.

In the new Evernote, the image is pasted in as a link.

The whole point of me dragging in images is to save a local copy!

• Like 2

In addition, about 7-8ish times I’ve used the web app, walked away, accessed the note from a different device, and realized that the web app didn’t bother to sync with the server and that I’d lost the content of the edit that I’d done on the web app.

The notion that the native app, whose sync I’ve found to be pretty solid, is to be replaced by a Electron webapp, does not fill me with confidence about the safety of my data.

• Like 1
On 10/25/2020 at 10:00 AM, kcc said:

I am also experiencing lag in version v10.1.7. For example when double-clicking on a note in the note list, it takes 2 to 4 seconds for the note contents to appear in the new window.

Same experience for me over the weekend. Not sure about today but it was noticeable yesterday when I would click on a note in the note list...took a second or two to reflect that note in the note panel next to it. First time I've noticed performance issues.

• Like 2

Completely agreed, the snappisse of the native app pre v10 is strongly missed. I hope developers have performance tuning and optimization in mind all the time because this could be a big issue for acceptance of the new app.

• Like 1

My experience hasn't been that bad (Macbook Pro 2017), but can be quite striking if drag file from Finder to the Evernote icon on the Dock. Sometimes I'll add the article twice because thought it didn't take. Recommend Evernote give notification that it received the file and preparing to add it after a file is dragged to icon (or window).

If of any help, lag has been getting a bit better for me, since I posted. It is now good enough to not fall back to the legacy version (7.x), but I hope improvements can be made in the future. Please keep those updates coming!

I think Evernote company had a wrong step for their business.
Since 10 version, they have killed a native version of mac app and switched to WebView (electron js).
May be I'm wrong, but they also killed native iOS version.

IMO the problem isn’t necessarily that it’s Electron. Slack’s Electron app is quite zippy.

It’s the speed. It’s the unoptimized nature. It’s the broken integration. I suppose that’s fixable but I’m still waiting for the acknowledgement.

• Like 2

New update = SLOW. I long for the speed and ease-of-use that I enjoyed early on with Evernote. Now it seems I pay increasingly more without commensurate improvement in functionality. Getting read to export everything to Apple Notes. 

• Like 1

Update: today, I had to fallback to the 7.x legacy version because 10.x did not sync. I agree, EN 10.x is a beta product at best right now.

I love the new interface but it's very difficult to type in the app because it's constantly saving. As people have pointed out, it's also very laggy. Is there a fix for this?

• Like 1

I have been an Evernote paying customer since 2013 for both my personal and business accounts with hundreds of pages of notes, and this version 10.1 upgrade is a pile of *****!    No way to sugar coat it -  and management and the developers are the culprits here.   This new version's functionality and performance on all my Apple devices (iOS & macOS) are SLOOOOOW to load (if they load at all), I have lost lots of functionality and many of my prior years of notes page formatting and column alignment is completely f-ked-up, which will take us months (if not a year plus) to repair and fix.    If you guys have no more development or coding skills than this, find another line of work!    Remember when 50% of the staff got fired in 2015???    Management should (at minimum) make the prior version available until this ***** pile can be completely rebuilt from the ground up again.  

Finally, I plan to post my Evernote version 10.1 upgrade upgrade problems and experience with illustrations and images on Evernote's Twitter page so that potential customers know what they are possibly getting with this substandard app.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, moffa said:

I have been an Evernote paying customer since 2013 for both my personal and business accounts with hundreds of pages of notes, and this version 10.1 upgrade is a pile of *****!    No way to sugar coat it -  and management and the developers are the culprits here.   This new version's functionality and performance on all my Apple devices (iOS & macOS) are SLOOOOOW to load (if they load at all), I have lost lots of functionality and many of my prior years of notes page formatting and column alignment is completely f-ked-up, which will take us months (if not a year plus) to repair and fix.    If you guys have no more development or coding skills than this, find another line of work!    Remember when 50% of the staff got fired in 2015???    Management should (at minimum) make the prior version available until this ***** pile can be completely rebuilt from the ground up again.  

Finally, I plan to post my Evernote version 10.1 upgrade upgrade problems and experience with illustrations and images on Evernote's Twitter page so that potential customers know what they are possibly getting with this substandard app.  

Why don't you just use the legacy version that is still available and save yourself all this stress?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Metrodon said:

Why don't you just use the legacy version that is still available and save yourself all this stress?

Is the legacy version going to be updated commensurate with future MacOS upgrades? Unlikely. MacOS Big Sur will be released soon. There are enough changes for Apple to label it MacOS 11.

Will Evernote 10 be fully functional in time for Big Sur? Unlikely. I suspect that legacy Evernote users will have to delay upgrading to Big Sur if they want full Evernote functionality and thus be forced to remain in the legacy version of Evernote. 

The clock is ticking.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Jason Goldsmith said:

I suspect that legacy Evernote users will have to delay upgrading to Big Sur if they want full Evernote functionality and thus be forced to remain in the legacy version of Evernote. 

I just checked and Evernote Legacy seems to be working OK in Big Sur, so we’re good for now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
6 hours ago, AviDee said:

Evernote Legacy seems to be working OK in Big Sur

Thanks Jason, that's a HUGE relief.  I do drag my feet with upgrades, but eventually I start to worry about security.  There are so many features missing in the new evernote that I literally cried with relief when I was able to download the legacy version onto Catalina!

23 minutes ago, sarirap@gmail.com said:

Thanks Jason, that's a HUGE relief.  I do drag my feet with upgrades, but eventually I start to worry about security.  There are so many features missing in the new evernote that I literally cried with relief when I was able to download the legacy version onto Catalina!

off-topic: <email removed>you shouldn‚Äėt use your email account as member name, worldwide SPAM mailers will be happy to see this ūüôā¬†

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, Meandering muse said:

Good point, and fixed, I didn't realize it posted like that.  Unfortunately, I've now been quoted... so too late to erase!

quote removed already ūüėČ

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Meandering muse said:

I’m Avi, and I said that, not Jason.

I only played with it for a few minutes. It looks weird and didn’t seem to work well, but it was working OK.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, AviDee said:

I’m Avi, and I said that, not Jason.

I only played with it for a few minutes. It looks weird and didn’t seem to work well, but it was working OK.

So sorry AviDee!  Thanks to you for the info!!!

On 11/5/2020 at 6:48 AM, moffa said:

Ha, I missed all the fun. Just installed v10.3.6 and was blown away by the sluggishness of a "desktop app". Luckily, time machine let me go back directly to v7.x

Sorry Evernote, how can you mess up so big?

• Like 2

I just installed new version 10.3.6. The overall performance on my MacBook Air is terrible. Horror, the horror.

The legacy version 6.25.2 was working very nice, scrolling through notes was smooth, images/thumbnails appear instantly. Now with v10 it looks like slow-motion joke. Everything appears with heavy lags. Needless to say that competition programs work much faster as well. I had no other option than to roll-back to legacy version.

What makes me really sad is that I don't believe they will be able to significantly improve performance in the future. They mess this up so badly that the only solution is to buy more powerful devices... 

Hi,
Also experiencing a noticeable slowness with 10.3.7 (running Catalina 10.15.7 on a 2017 iMac 5K).
Typing in the editor feels unresponsive and sluggish.
Opening a note in a new window (by double click) takes roughly two seconds; it used to be much faster.

On 11/11/2020 at 10:36 AM, Barabasz said:

They mess this up so badly that the only solution is to buy more powerful devices... 

To me it seems they load every note you select from the internet. Would explain the slowness, and cannot really be fixed with more powerful devices.

The developers and testers of Evernote access their notes via LAN which is quick as a fox, but we have to use the Internet and that is slow?

Whatever, the v10 is unusable. And on my mobile (iOS) I cannot roll back and even the opening time of the app freaks me out. Usually I would open the app to quickly find something. But nowadays you click the app and it takes 3 to 10 secs before you can even start a search; On a current iPhone!

On both my imac and iphone performance since the update has tanked.  I've been a premium evernote user for years and have loved the product, but this is getting me to consider going full time on trello or notes.  I can't even open notes on my imac, just empty notes with no content, everything is incredibly slow.  Really unhappy about the direction this product has taken.

To top it off, my evernote was hacked.

What are better options other than trello and notes?

I use Evernote primarily on my desktop, MacMini (Late 2014), Catalina 10.15.7.  Unfortunately, I downloaded 10.3.7 last week and chose the option of deleting the previous version during the install of 10.3.7 - lesson learned, I should have known better.  Maybe I could use TimeMachine to recover as one of the other contributors suggested.  Anyway, same experience as Bitsofeight:

On 11/12/2020 at 4:17 AM, Bitsofeight said:

Hi,
Also experiencing a noticeable slowness with 10.3.7 (running Catalina 10.15.7 on a 2017 iMac 5K).
Typing in the editor feels unresponsive and sluggish.
Opening a note in a new window (by double click) takes roughly two seconds; it used to be much faster.

I followed one of the forum suggestions and installed the "legacy version" and am running it until I get response from EN tech support noting that the problem is fixed.  I had no idea of the other related problems until I read over this thread. I dumped 10.3.7 as soon as I noticed the sluggish feedback on keyboard entry into my notes. I noticed I was putting 4 keystrokes in before they showed up on my screen in EN. Then, I noticed that in 10.3.7 there is a small text notification in the lower right corner of the note that switches between "saving note" and " saved".  That fluctuation seems to sync perfectly with the jerky behavior of text entry.  Almost as though input is suspended while the note is being updated.  I should add that because of my location, my internet speed is fairly slow - 3 MB/s which slows down with other network demands and time of day.  However, the speed limitations were not any problem with the previous EN versions.  I'm not a techie, just a user who is now forced to look for EN alternatives over which I have more control.  I'd put DevonThink in place as a safeguard a while back when EN was in such trouble with people leaving and poor support.  While not as advanced in some ways, I know where my data is and that data is not in a proprietary format. I'm  now considering DThink for my primary info store.  I'm also revisiting AppleNotes to see if I can adapt to the recent release.

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 9.52.42 AM.png

Edited by sqcpro
Add Information. Found I could not use TimeMachine to restore previous version, Error, Data is controlled by a newer version see image
  • Like 1

I am running 10.3.7 and hate everything about it. The interface is dreadful, and the speed issues are appalling. Tabs have disappeared, so you have to go backwards and forwards when working on several notes at once.

I have been using Evernote for several years and have always likes its simplicity and practicality. This is all being taken away because some graphic designer has got hold of the interface and wrecked it.

When are we getting a decent version to use?

3 hours ago, sqcpro said:

I use Evernote primarily on my desktop, MacMini (Late 2014), Catalina 10.15.7.  Unfortunately, I downloaded 10.3.7 last week and chose the option of deleting the previous version during the install of 10.3.7 - lesson learned, I should have known better.  Maybe I could use TimeMachine to recover as one of the other contributors suggested.  Anyway, same experience as Bitsofeight:

I followed one of the forum suggestions and installed the "legacy version" and am running it until I get response from EN tech support noting that the problem is fixed.  I had no idea of the other related problems until I read over this thread. I dumped 10.3.7 as soon as I noticed the sluggish feedback on keyboard entry into my notes. I noticed I was putting 4 keystrokes in before they showed up on my screen in EN. Then, I noticed that in 10.3.7 there is a small text notification in the lower right corner of the note that switches between "saving note" and " saved".  That fluctuation seems to sync perfectly with the jerky behavior of text entry.  Almost as though input is suspended while the note is being updated.  I should add that because of my location, my internet speed is fairly slow - 3 MB/s which slows down with other network demands and time of day.  However, the speed limitations were not any problem with the previous EN versions.  I'm not a techie, just a user who is now forced to look for EN alternatives over which I have more control.  I'd put DevonThink in place as a safeguard a while back when EN was in such trouble with people leaving and poor support.  While not as advanced in some ways, I know where my data is and that data is not in a proprietary format. I'm  now considering DThink for my primary info store.  I'm also revisiting AppleNotes to see if I can adapt to the recent release.

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 9.52.42 AM.png

Hi,

I have the same problem on Windows 10 with a 100/50Mbps internet connection. The first release I installed was not usable. The actual, 10.3.7, go faster, but not enough.

For me, it's not possible that each change we do (type one or two words, change notebook selection, move notes to other notebooks,...) need seconds to wait for server connection and data transfer. The worst is that in those 1-2-3 seconds we need to wait, evernote is stucked. For a productivity tool, at the moment is sadly not productive at all.

I use Evernote for work and personal life on a pretty much daily basis. Have done for years. The frankly appalling job that's been done of the updated iOS and macOS apps is the reason I'm now researching the best alternative to transition to. Everyone from leadership, product management, developers and QA should be pretty ashamed that they were happy to release such a poorly performing product. It's not like it could have been a surprise, in the beta for iOS it was exactly the same and I said so in my feedback.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:39 PM, JG1 said:

On both my imac and iphone performance since the update has tanked.  I've been a premium evernote user for years and have loved the product, but this is getting me to consider going full time on trello or notes.  I can't even open notes on my imac, just empty notes with no content, everything is incredibly slow.  Really unhappy about the direction this product has taken.

To top it off, my evernote was hacked.

What are better options other than trello and notes?

I purchased DEVONthink a while back as a backup to Evernote.  I then upgraded to DEVONthink 3.6. and because of this last EN launch failure am evaluating it as a full replacement for Evernote.  DT can import EN notes and looks like it strips out attachments and images to separate folders - similar to web page strategy.   DT does not use a proprietary file structure - it's .dBase2 I think, which can be fully encrypted, you can create multiple databases (a pro/con tradeoff), that are stored and run from my mac (that has it's pros and cons).  I use TimeMachine backup on external drive and general file backup to Apple.  DT uses some 3rd party plugins for some of the features EN tries to manage themselves (pros & cons).  I'm not familiar with DT's iOS versions.  EN has been such a workhorse and I've adapted to their quirky handling of some functions.  I'm sad to have to shop around. I think if my primary use was mobile, I may try to ride this out, but sadly my primary use is the desktop version which has been rendered unusable to me.  So, for now I'm on the Legacy version

Looking into https://joplinapp.org/ now. I think it is not quite there, but it looks promising. Some people also mentioned Notion?

And... he put together some interesting list of flaws, but lacks to recognize the slowness of the ‚Äúapp‚ÄĚ.¬†https://masakudamatsu.medium.com/evernote-10s-user-interface-renewal-is-shockingly-bad-7753f8d9f411

23 hours ago, Julian Pearcey said:

Is anyone at Evernote interested?

I know that they know, but level of concern??  I had turned in a Work Ticket on this issue as soon as I realized what was going on - Nov.11, 2020.  An EN support manager replied via automated email in 2 days with my Work ticket number and some boilerplate "help" which started off with "make sure you are using the current release".  That really raised my ire since THAT WAS THE PROBLEM.  And the response indicated that they were experiencing a higher than normal volume of requests. I suspect their staff IS overwhelmed with the tsunami they created with a premature version release.  But then I never asked for the release or had a chance to test it. So my compassion is very limited.  I haven't heard more but learned from their post last Friday that 10.4 was released - but I didn't see our issue listed in all the things they updated.  And I haven't received any response from EN support that 10.4 was a fix for our problem.  So, I posted this topic in the Versions 10.0 and above section, "10.4 forMac - does it fix the sluggish text editor interactions created by 10.3.7".  I'm hoping some users will address our needs.