App Performance Issues: Slowness/Poor Responsiveness/Lag

I am also experiencing lag in version v10.1.7. For example when double-clicking on a note in the note list, it takes 2 to 4 seconds for the note contents to appear in the new window.

• Like 1
  • Dragging in images is broken. It’s in this somewhat working state, where the image shows up, but if you click the menu blob on top, and specify to save the image, and then pick a location on your disk, nothing happens.
  • I have notes with embedded content that fails to load. It loads just fine-ish on the web version, which is surprising.
  • AppleScript support is gone.
  • Smart quotes don’t work.
  • You used to be able to get a small window for new notes, but that’s gone.

But the main problem is speed. I click on the “New Note” button, and then switch apps and do something else, because it’ll literally take 5 seconds to make a new note.

I don’t know what to say. In the big scare in 2018, I doubled-down, and was happy to pay for premium because I like paying for tools on which I build my life. I’ve already started a list of Evernote options to investigate.

• Like 1

OK, here’s the repro.

1. Make a new note
  2. Drag a web image into it
  3. Do a “Get Info” on the note

In the old Evernote, the image is actually embedded. If the image you dragged in was 1MB, then the note will be 1MB.

In the new Evernote, the image is pasted in as a link.

The whole point of me dragging in images is to save a local copy!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

In addition, about 7-8ish times I’ve used the web app, walked away, accessed the note from a different device, and realized that the web app didn’t bother to sync with the server and that I’d lost the content of the edit that I’d done on the web app.

The notion that the native app, whose sync I’ve found to be pretty solid, is to be replaced by a Electron webapp, does not fill me with confidence about the safety of my data.

• Like 1
On 10/25/2020 at 10:00 AM, kcc said:

I am also experiencing lag in version v10.1.7. For example when double-clicking on a note in the note list, it takes 2 to 4 seconds for the note contents to appear in the new window.

Same experience for me over the weekend. Not sure about today but it was noticeable yesterday when I would click on a note in the note list...took a second or two to reflect that note in the note panel next to it. First time I've noticed performance issues.

• Like 3

My experience hasn't been that bad (Macbook Pro 2017), but can be quite striking if drag file from Finder to the Evernote icon on the Dock. Sometimes I'll add the article twice because thought it didn't take. Recommend Evernote give notification that it received the file and preparing to add it after a file is dragged to icon (or window).

If of any help, lag has been getting a bit better for me, since I posted. It is now good enough to not fall back to the legacy version (7.x), but I hope improvements can be made in the future. Please keep those updates coming!

I think Evernote company had a wrong step for their business.
Since 10 version, they have killed a native version of mac app and switched to WebView (electron js).
May be I'm wrong, but they also killed native iOS version.

• Like 2

IMO the problem isn’t necessarily that it’s Electron. Slack’s Electron app is quite zippy.

It’s the speed. It’s the unoptimized nature. It’s the broken integration. I suppose that’s fixable but I’m still waiting for the acknowledgement.

• Like 2

New update = SLOW. I long for the speed and ease-of-use that I enjoyed early on with Evernote. Now it seems I pay increasingly more without commensurate improvement in functionality. Getting read to export everything to Apple Notes. 

• Like 1

I have been an Evernote paying customer since 2013 for both my personal and business accounts with hundreds of pages of notes, and this version 10.1 upgrade is a pile of *****!    No way to sugar coat it -  and management and the developers are the culprits here.   This new version's functionality and performance on all my Apple devices (iOS & macOS) are SLOOOOOW to load (if they load at all), I have lost lots of functionality and many of my prior years of notes page formatting and column alignment is completely f-ked-up, which will take us months (if not a year plus) to repair and fix.    If you guys have no more development or coding skills than this, find another line of work!    Remember when 50% of the staff got fired in 2015???    Management should (at minimum) make the prior version available until this ***** pile can be completely rebuilt from the ground up again.  

Finally, I plan to post my Evernote version 10.1 upgrade upgrade problems and experience with illustrations and images on Evernote's Twitter page so that potential customers know what they are possibly getting with this substandard app.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, moffa said:

I have been an Evernote paying customer since 2013 for both my personal and business accounts with hundreds of pages of notes, and this version 10.1 upgrade is a pile of *****!    No way to sugar coat it -  and management and the developers are the culprits here.   This new version's functionality and performance on all my Apple devices (iOS & macOS) are SLOOOOOW to load (if they load at all), I have lost lots of functionality and many of my prior years of notes page formatting and column alignment is completely f-ked-up, which will take us months (if not a year plus) to repair and fix.    If you guys have no more development or coding skills than this, find another line of work!    Remember when 50% of the staff got fired in 2015???    Management should (at minimum) make the prior version available until this ***** pile can be completely rebuilt from the ground up again.  

Finally, I plan to post my Evernote version 10.1 upgrade upgrade problems and experience with illustrations and images on Evernote's Twitter page so that potential customers know what they are possibly getting with this substandard app.  

Why don't you just use the legacy version that is still available and save yourself all this stress?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Metrodon said:

Why don't you just use the legacy version that is still available and save yourself all this stress?

Is the legacy version going to be updated commensurate with future MacOS upgrades? Unlikely. MacOS Big Sur will be released soon. There are enough changes for Apple to label it MacOS 11.

Will Evernote 10 be fully functional in time for Big Sur? Unlikely. I suspect that legacy Evernote users will have to delay upgrading to Big Sur if they want full Evernote functionality and thus be forced to remain in the legacy version of Evernote. 

The clock is ticking.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Jason Goldsmith said:

I suspect that legacy Evernote users will have to delay upgrading to Big Sur if they want full Evernote functionality and thus be forced to remain in the legacy version of Evernote. 

I just checked and Evernote Legacy seems to be working OK in Big Sur, so we’re good for now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
6 hours ago, AviDee said:

Evernote Legacy seems to be working OK in Big Sur

Thanks Jason, that's a HUGE relief.  I do drag my feet with upgrades, but eventually I start to worry about security.  There are so many features missing in the new evernote that I literally cried with relief when I was able to download the legacy version onto Catalina!

23 minutes ago, sarirap@gmail.com said:

Thanks Jason, that's a HUGE relief.  I do drag my feet with upgrades, but eventually I start to worry about security.  There are so many features missing in the new evernote that I literally cried with relief when I was able to download the legacy version onto Catalina!

off-topic: <email removed>you shouldn‘t use your email account as member name, worldwide SPAM mailers will be happy to see this 🙂 

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Meandering muse said:

I’m Avi, and I said that, not Jason.

I only played with it for a few minutes. It looks weird and didn’t seem to work well, but it was working OK.

• Like 1
On 11/5/2020 at 6:48 AM, moffa said:

Ha, I missed all the fun. Just installed v10.3.6 and was blown away by the sluggishness of a "desktop app". Luckily, time machine let me go back directly to v7.x

Sorry Evernote, how can you mess up so big?

• Like 3

I just installed new version 10.3.6. The overall performance on my MacBook Air is terrible. Horror, the horror.

The legacy version 6.25.2 was working very nice, scrolling through notes was smooth, images/thumbnails appear instantly. Now with v10 it looks like slow-motion joke. Everything appears with heavy lags. Needless to say that competition programs work much faster as well. I had no other option than to roll-back to legacy version.

What makes me really sad is that I don't believe they will be able to significantly improve performance in the future. They mess this up so badly that the only solution is to buy more powerful devices... 

• Like 2

Hi,
Also experiencing a noticeable slowness with 10.3.7 (running Catalina 10.15.7 on a 2017 iMac 5K).
Typing in the editor feels unresponsive and sluggish.
Opening a note in a new window (by double click) takes roughly two seconds; it used to be much faster.

On 11/11/2020 at 10:36 AM, Barabasz said:

They mess this up so badly that the only solution is to buy more powerful devices... 

To me it seems they load every note you select from the internet. Would explain the slowness, and cannot really be fixed with more powerful devices.

The developers and testers of Evernote access their notes via LAN which is quick as a fox, but we have to use the Internet and that is slow?

Whatever, the v10 is unusable. And on my mobile (iOS) I cannot roll back and even the opening time of the app freaks me out. Usually I would open the app to quickly find something. But nowadays you click the app and it takes 3 to 10 secs before you can even start a search; On a current iPhone!

On both my imac and iphone performance since the update has tanked.  I've been a premium evernote user for years and have loved the product, but this is getting me to consider going full time on trello or notes.  I can't even open notes on my imac, just empty notes with no content, everything is incredibly slow.  Really unhappy about the direction this product has taken.

To top it off, my evernote was hacked.

What are better options other than trello and notes?

I use Evernote primarily on my desktop, MacMini (Late 2014), Catalina 10.15.7.  Unfortunately, I downloaded 10.3.7 last week and chose the option of deleting the previous version during the install of 10.3.7 - lesson learned, I should have known better.  Maybe I could use TimeMachine to recover as one of the other contributors suggested.  Anyway, same experience as Bitsofeight:

On 11/12/2020 at 4:17 AM, Bitsofeight said:

Hi,
Also experiencing a noticeable slowness with 10.3.7 (running Catalina 10.15.7 on a 2017 iMac 5K).
Typing in the editor feels unresponsive and sluggish.
Opening a note in a new window (by double click) takes roughly two seconds; it used to be much faster.

I followed one of the forum suggestions and installed the "legacy version" and am running it until I get response from EN tech support noting that the problem is fixed.  I had no idea of the other related problems until I read over this thread. I dumped 10.3.7 as soon as I noticed the sluggish feedback on keyboard entry into my notes. I noticed I was putting 4 keystrokes in before they showed up on my screen in EN. Then, I noticed that in 10.3.7 there is a small text notification in the lower right corner of the note that switches between "saving note" and " saved".  That fluctuation seems to sync perfectly with the jerky behavior of text entry.  Almost as though input is suspended while the note is being updated.  I should add that because of my location, my internet speed is fairly slow - 3 MB/s which slows down with other network demands and time of day.  However, the speed limitations were not any problem with the previous EN versions.  I'm not a techie, just a user who is now forced to look for EN alternatives over which I have more control.  I'd put DevonThink in place as a safeguard a while back when EN was in such trouble with people leaving and poor support.  While not as advanced in some ways, I know where my data is and that data is not in a proprietary format. I'm  now considering DThink for my primary info store.  I'm also revisiting AppleNotes to see if I can adapt to the recent release.

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 9.52.42 AM.png

Edited by sqcpro
Add Information. Found I could not use TimeMachine to restore previous version, Error, Data is controlled by a newer version see image
  • Like 1

I am running 10.3.7 and hate everything about it. The interface is dreadful, and the speed issues are appalling. Tabs have disappeared, so you have to go backwards and forwards when working on several notes at once.

I have been using Evernote for several years and have always likes its simplicity and practicality. This is all being taken away because some graphic designer has got hold of the interface and wrecked it.

When are we getting a decent version to use?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sqcpro said:

I use Evernote primarily on my desktop, MacMini (Late 2014), Catalina 10.15.7.  Unfortunately, I downloaded 10.3.7 last week and chose the option of deleting the previous version during the install of 10.3.7 - lesson learned, I should have known better.  Maybe I could use TimeMachine to recover as one of the other contributors suggested.  Anyway, same experience as Bitsofeight:

I followed one of the forum suggestions and installed the "legacy version" and am running it until I get response from EN tech support noting that the problem is fixed.  I had no idea of the other related problems until I read over this thread. I dumped 10.3.7 as soon as I noticed the sluggish feedback on keyboard entry into my notes. I noticed I was putting 4 keystrokes in before they showed up on my screen in EN. Then, I noticed that in 10.3.7 there is a small text notification in the lower right corner of the note that switches between "saving note" and " saved".  That fluctuation seems to sync perfectly with the jerky behavior of text entry.  Almost as though input is suspended while the note is being updated.  I should add that because of my location, my internet speed is fairly slow - 3 MB/s which slows down with other network demands and time of day.  However, the speed limitations were not any problem with the previous EN versions.  I'm not a techie, just a user who is now forced to look for EN alternatives over which I have more control.  I'd put DevonThink in place as a safeguard a while back when EN was in such trouble with people leaving and poor support.  While not as advanced in some ways, I know where my data is and that data is not in a proprietary format. I'm  now considering DThink for my primary info store.  I'm also revisiting AppleNotes to see if I can adapt to the recent release.

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 9.52.42 AM.png

Hi,

I have the same problem on Windows 10 with a 100/50Mbps internet connection. The first release I installed was not usable. The actual, 10.3.7, go faster, but not enough.

For me, it's not possible that each change we do (type one or two words, change notebook selection, move notes to other notebooks,...) need seconds to wait for server connection and data transfer. The worst is that in those 1-2-3 seconds we need to wait, evernote is stucked. For a productivity tool, at the moment is sadly not productive at all.

I use Evernote for work and personal life on a pretty much daily basis. Have done for years. The frankly appalling job that's been done of the updated iOS and macOS apps is the reason I'm now researching the best alternative to transition to. Everyone from leadership, product management, developers and QA should be pretty ashamed that they were happy to release such a poorly performing product. It's not like it could have been a surprise, in the beta for iOS it was exactly the same and I said so in my feedback.

• Like 2
On 11/17/2020 at 2:39 PM, JG1 said:

On both my imac and iphone performance since the update has tanked.  I've been a premium evernote user for years and have loved the product, but this is getting me to consider going full time on trello or notes.  I can't even open notes on my imac, just empty notes with no content, everything is incredibly slow.  Really unhappy about the direction this product has taken.

To top it off, my evernote was hacked.

What are better options other than trello and notes?

I purchased DEVONthink a while back as a backup to Evernote.  I then upgraded to DEVONthink 3.6. and because of this last EN launch failure am evaluating it as a full replacement for Evernote.  DT can import EN notes and looks like it strips out attachments and images to separate folders - similar to web page strategy.   DT does not use a proprietary file structure - it's .dBase2 I think, which can be fully encrypted, you can create multiple databases (a pro/con tradeoff), that are stored and run from my mac (that has it's pros and cons).  I use TimeMachine backup on external drive and general file backup to Apple.  DT uses some 3rd party plugins for some of the features EN tries to manage themselves (pros & cons).  I'm not familiar with DT's iOS versions.  EN has been such a workhorse and I've adapted to their quirky handling of some functions.  I'm sad to have to shop around. I think if my primary use was mobile, I may try to ride this out, but sadly my primary use is the desktop version which has been rendered unusable to me.  So, for now I'm on the Legacy version

23 hours ago, Julian Pearcey said:

Is anyone at Evernote interested?

I know that they know, but level of concern??  I had turned in a Work Ticket on this issue as soon as I realized what was going on - Nov.11, 2020.  An EN support manager replied via automated email in 2 days with my Work ticket number and some boilerplate "help" which started off with "make sure you are using the current release".  That really raised my ire since THAT WAS THE PROBLEM.  And the response indicated that they were experiencing a higher than normal volume of requests. I suspect their staff IS overwhelmed with the tsunami they created with a premature version release.  But then I never asked for the release or had a chance to test it. So my compassion is very limited.  I haven't heard more but learned from their post last Friday that 10.4 was released - but I didn't see our issue listed in all the things they updated.  And I haven't received any response from EN support that 10.4 was a fix for our problem.  So, I posted this topic in the Versions 10.0 and above section, "10.4 forMac - does it fix the sluggish text editor interactions created by 10.3.7".  I'm hoping some users will address our needs.

• Like 1

OMG, this new version is sooooo terrible. Notes won't load when I click them in the app, sometimes the app starts with the message that something went wrong.

It is so sloooooow, not at all what I was used to for the last 10 years. I'm a premium member since 2010 and never had anything to complain about, but this is just nuts!

I hoped an upgrade to Big Sur would resolve my issues, but nothing changed. A clean install of the app (with AppCleaner, so thoroughly) didn't help.

What has happened to this app? I use it for absolutely everything, so this is a big disaster.
Thank god for the legacy version. It's downloading my notes as we speak and it's so fast, but feels outdated. 

How long has this issue been going on? Why hasn't this been fixed already? I'm eagerly awaiting a new version of the new app that is as fast as the legacy version.
Please give us an update, Evernote!

Schermafbeelding 2020-11-26 om 09.37.06.png

I also experiencing this lag since the upgrade (sometimes slow, sometimes normal) only in the last days it seems that are more the "normal" days than the "slow" ones.

What I hate the most is the fact that you cannot copy anymore images from the note and copy them to mail or else. This is very annoying 

For sure is a false step for  Evernote and I hope they can fix it soon in the meanwhile, going through this forum, I learned that you can still download the old Versione 7 that now has been rebranded "Evernote Legacy" that works side by side with new one.

Nice move . You guys save my day!

Not sure if this will help you or not, but my desktop version of EN is now responding as it did before they "fixed" things with 10.3.7.  

I saw that EN advised the 10.4 for Mac had been released last Friday, so I posted to the forum to solicit info from other users about their experience with 10.4 - did it resolve my issues or not.  Your reply indicates you have issues as well.  I hope sharing my experience will help.

I followed standard EN protocol for Premium users: Posted my concern to EN support on 11/11, Received a Support Ticket via email a couple of days later and waited. Yesterday, 11/25, I did a reply to EN support about the progress on the Ticket - Did the new 10.4 release fix my concern?  In a few hours I got a reply that was rather "boilerplate" noting the the current release "should" fix my issue. I was hoping for a clearer response, but figured it was worth a shot.  When I opened my 10.3.7 version, it automatically started downloading the "current version". 

v 10.4.3 build 2071 public
Editor: v112.1.14477
Service: v1.23.6
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

I've done some limited testing.  All old notes loaded OK, external and internal links worked OK.  I created several new notes without issue; started and stopped the notes without issue; put in link to other notes (works, but establishing the link and link activation is different from past, drag and drop jpg from desktop worked OK), rapid keyboard text entry worked fine, without hesitation, tried all with several intense applications running concurrently in Chrome - no problem.  So things seem to be running OK for me.  There were issues with the app registering in BigSur.  Clicking on the Icon in Launchpad tried to launch the older version, which presented the error that the older version would not work with the newer database - or something to that effect.  But currently, if I click on the EN icon in the Applications folder, it launches the new 10.4.3 version

The "fast release" updates promised are not happening. The launch of Evernote 10 was clearly forced and it has a poor performance on every platform.

I think the company representatives should address the users (with real information) on what's going on.

• Like 1

I used Google Translate to view your message so I apologize if I didn't understand your message properly. 

I AM NOT an Evernote Technical Expert, but I do have years of experience. I agree that from time to time Evernote is totally frustrating due to changes they make to "improve" the user experience. And I agree that prompt syncing across all user devices is a must. I also know that syncing between operating systems, EN versions and devices is very complex.

I primarily use the Mac Desktop version but require that my other iOS devices be synced.  I rarely use iOS for input, but do need the iOS to be in sync to access my most current data.

I think you should submit a formal request to EN tech support.   As a premium user, you are entitled to direct support.  From my experience, their support process is slow but may be your best solution.  See below for the article I used the last time I had to request support.

In the mean time, just to let you know, after the major problems with 10.3.7, I am now syncing OK between my MacMini desktop (running BigSur 11.0.1 with Evernote 10.4.3) and my iPhone (running Evernote 10.1).  I have had many issues with sync in the past.  I only include some of my issues to suggest that there are many reasons for sync trouble: 

• Slow server response (taking 20 minutes or more to sync between my devices),
  • EN version conflicts between devices,
  • my home Network dropping my iPhone connection,
  • my iPhone web connection switching between my WiFi and phone carrier (Verizon),
  • problems with EN updates (sync's OK to online, but sync doesn't download to device) ,
  • using EN offline and then failure to sync when WiFi connection becomes available. 

While waiting for EN Tech Support it may help to go through the following exercise.   First, be sure your EN data file is backed up.  EN has 2 versions of your data (that should be in sync) - one on their severs and one on your devices  Start by using ONLY the web version (Login to Evernote.com) through your browser, on one of your devices. Check that file for your recent EN data.  If there is missing data then your device has failed to update  their servers.   Be sure you have a good WiFi connection. Log out and then back into your EN account.  Using just one device, make entries into a note or start a new note.  Then close your Browser and EN; restart your device and reopen all to see if your new entries are there.  If all entries are there, you know that at least that device is updating the EN server.  From there, on the same WiFi. check by using your apps - phone or desktop to confirm your new entries show up.  If they all show OK then you will need to check other connectivity issues.  If there are problems, you will be able to communicate much better with EN support.

Good Luck.  

19 hours ago, martinewski said:

The "fast release" updates promised are not happening. The launch of Evernote 10 was clearly forced and it has a poor performance on every platform.

I think the company representatives should address the users (with real information) on what's going on.

There were a lot of requests already on this forum and on social media asking Evernote for honest feedback for last months, but zero answers. Only some blog posts/videos with faked enthusiasm about a new release. Please search this forum for more.

There is a potential risk (educated guess), that EvN is falling apart as a company. Therefore, daily back-ups and looking for alternatives is recommended.

I'm currently testing MS OneNote (full Office 365 version) with pretty good results. There are some limitation, but app is fast and reliable and MS promised lot of  new features in 2021. Moreover, MS Support conditions are far more better.

Others also recommend to try Apple-Note - it's in my to-do list for December.

2 minutes ago, Kolmir said:

They were a lot of requests on this forum and on social media asking Evernote for honest feedback for last months, but zero answers. Only some blog posts/videos with faked enthusiasm about a new release.

There is a potential risk (educated guess), that EvN is falling apart as a company. Therefore, daily back-ups and looking for alternatives is recommended.

I'm currently testing MS OneNote (full Office 365 version) with pretty good results. There are some limitation, but app is fast and reliable and MS promised lot of  new features in 2021. Moreover, MS Support conditions are far more better.

Others also recommend to try Apple-Note - it's in my to-do list for December.

My desktop version with a new release, 10.4.3 for Mac, has restored the performance EN created with the 10.3.7 release fiasco.  But why did the mess happen in the first place?, what level of responsibility does EN accept?, what controls has EN put in place to prevent similar issues in the future?  I agree with you, that without transparency from EN showing problem ownership, specific cause and resolution, we need assume that similar instances will happen without warning.   And this puts my data access and reliability at risk.  So, obviously I'm using EN with extreme caution and seeking more dependable alternatives.  Big on the list is what to do with the 6 years of EN data.  I chose DevonThink a couple of years ago, after the last suggestion that EN could fold imminently.  DT had a decent automated import feature for the EN database, but it' been a while since I've used it to back up EN. 

I tried a Windows version of OneNote a year or so ago and was pleased with it initially.  Easy to integrate with other 365 apps, highly visual, Database/folder/subfolder structure.  This was in a corporate environment on an intranet with plans to collaborate with others.  Since our company did not use Microsoft servers, the version control and syncing didn't work very well, so I dropped it.  But maybe sticking with it for personal use with OneDrive would be good. I'm pretty well locked into 365 since I must have Excel for my older files and business related communication.  If there were a decent way to port my EN data into OneNote, it would be my first alternative choice.

Apple Notes has really advanced, but I've not evaluated it.  I'd be needing easy ability for linking within note, to other notes, to other notebooks, to mail files, to calendar events, to server files (eg. Dropbox & Apple), device files, web pages and then the ability to find the information - a decent search.  I'm not so inclined to need photo editing, speech to text, pdf text recognition.

Good luck on your efforts Kolmir.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sqcpro said:

My desktop version with a new release, 10.4.3 for Mac, has restored the performance EN created with the 10.3.7 release fiasco.  But why did the mess happen in the first place?, what level of responsibility does EN accept?, what controls has EN put in place to prevent similar issues in the future?  I agree with you, that without transparency from EN showing problem ownership, specific cause and resolution, we need assume that similar instances will happen without warning.   And this puts my data access and reliability at risk.  So, obviously I'm using EN with extreme caution and seeking more dependable alternatives.  Big on the list is what to do with the 6 years of EN data.  I chose DevonThink a couple of years ago, after the last suggestion that EN could fold imminently.  DT had a decent automated import feature for the EN database, but it' been a while since I've used it to back up EN. 

I tried a Windows version of OneNote a year or so ago and was pleased with it initially.  Easy to integrate with other 365 apps, highly visual, Database/folder/subfolder structure.  This was in a corporate environment on an intranet with plans to collaborate with others.  Since our company did not use Microsoft servers, the version control and syncing didn't work very well, so I dropped it.  But maybe sticking with it for personal use with OneDrive would be good. I'm pretty well locked into 365 since I must have Excel for my older files and business related communication.  If there were a decent way to port my EN data into OneNote, it would be my first alternative choice.

Apple Notes has really advanced, but I've not evaluated it.  I'd be needing easy ability for linking within note, to other notes, to other notebooks, to mail files, to calendar events, to server files (eg. Dropbox & Apple), device files, web pages and then the ability to find the information - a decent search.  I'm not so inclined to need photo editing, speech to text, pdf text recognition.

Good luck on your efforts Kolmir.

Thank you, the same to you!

Links, which I collected about export/import:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/import-notes-from-evernote-into-onenote-2016-for-windows-81805ec8-e8a8-417e-9719-37fed2b7a67c | https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/how-to-migrate-your-evernote-notes-to-microsoft-
https://office-watch.com/2019/new-features-promised-for-onenote/

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/onenote-web-clipper/gojbdfnpnhogfdgjbigejoaolejmgdhk

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/migrate-from-evernote-to-apple-notes/ | https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205793

https://tidbits.com/2018/09/06/tipbits-how-to-move-your-evernote-notes-to-apples-notes/
https://alternativeto.net/software/evernote/

My point of view:

23 hours ago, Kolmir said:

Kolmir; Thanks for sharing your efforts relating to Evernote migrations to other platforms.  It has saved me a lot of time already.  But, I have learned over the years that software companies and their management change. They act in what they believe to be their own best interests - both short and long term. Management comes and goes.  Markets change.  And that I alone am responsible for my data and its management.  My core requirements are: data integrity, indexing, security and availability; regardless data type, platform and operating system are the core requirements.  The rest is my personal ease of use.

I also appreciate the share from RavBoy that relates to Ian Small's interviews.  It helps to understand his approach but must also be tempered with the realities of the market and his ability to implement his vision.  And I liked your views on the,  the concept of 2 user downloadable versions - Officially supported and a Test Version.  But, I'd suggest that the test version only has content and changes that have successfully passed all of the prototype and Alpha testing.  Yes, users like yourself need to have an opportunity in the Alpha phase. But in my opinion, including Alpha release content to general users would be a PR and tech support nightmare for EN.   Perhaps utilizing some scheme of evaluator qualification utilizing Forum Posts and reputation would accomplish the goal?  

• Like 1

I am also unhappy with the 10.x release so far (and was one of the first to complain here, see top).
To me, there only is one realistic alternative, OneNote that can offer all of Evernote's most important functionality (vs. Apple Notes, Nimbus, Notion, Bear, etc. that all fall short):

• MUST HAVE: working and effective search across both headlines and content (weird how many apps fall short here!)
  • quick note taking for meetings with action items and reminders
  • web clipping and editing clipped content
  • scanning & OCR of documents with my phone camera into my collections (not a hard requirement
  • tagging and labeling content to make it efficient to find notes (even if I forgot all keywords by which to search for a particular note)

On top, in OneNote you can draw diagrams, set up (simple) math equations and import your meeting details if your company uses Office.
On the downside, you do not get easy pre-formatted text blocks for code and there are no reminders (AFAICT).
Everything in OneNote is shared via Microsoft OneDrive.

One killer feature of EN used to be that they have proper OSX integration, e.g., that you could use it with Apple Script or Alfred Workflows, etc.
By moving to Electron, they lost that edge, though.
And currently, you cannot edit note creation dates in EN, either (just as OneNote.)

Overall, yes, in the 10.4 release it still feels as if the content is fetched online, not stored locally.
For now, I can survive with the legacy app on OSX as I don't use EN that much on my phone, except for scanning docs.
I sincerely hope that EN in the coming weeks releases 10.5, that it works well enough on the desktop to move to it, and that they release a version that works on the phone (where this new version is an even worse disaster, not to mention the broken web clipping on phones...).
Fingers crossed, I'd much rather not have to move to OneNote!

1 hour ago, fnl said:

I am also unhappy with the 10.x release so far (and was one of the first to complain here, see top).
To me, there only is one realistic alternative, OneNote that can offer all of Evernote's most important functionality (vs. Apple Notes, Nimbus, Notion, Bear, etc. that all fall short):

• MUST HAVE: working and effective search across both headlines and content (weird how many apps fall short here!)
  • quick note taking for meetings with action items and reminders
  • web clipping and editing clipped content
  • scanning & OCR of documents with my phone camera into my collections (not a hard requirement
  • tagging and labeling content to make it efficient to find notes (even if I forgot all keywords by which to search for a particular note)

On top, in OneNote you can draw diagrams, set up (simple) math equations and import your meeting details if your company uses Office.
On the downside, you do not get easy pre-formatted text blocks for code and there are no reminders (AFAICT).
Everything in OneNote is shared via Microsoft OneDrive.

One killer feature of EN used to be that they have proper OSX integration, e.g., that you could use it with Apple Script or Alfred Workflows, etc.
By moving to Electron, they lost that edge, though.
And currently, you cannot edit note creation dates in EN, either (just as OneNote.)

Overall, yes, in the 10.4 release it still feels as if the content is fetched online, not stored locally.
For now, I can survive with the legacy app on OSX as I don't use EN that much on my phone, except for scanning docs.
I sincerely hope that EN in the coming weeks releases 10.5, that it works well enough on the desktop to move to it, and that they release a version that works on the phone (where this new version is an even worse disaster, not to mention the broken web clipping on phones...).
Fingers crossed, I'd much rather not have to move to OneNote!

Thanks for the useful information.  And I agree that I'd rather not have to migrate away from EN but I must be able to trust them with access to my date.  In a bizarre twist just now, I was reading this topic flow and came across a post indicating a user could not copy and past graphics from one EN to another. That didn't seem right so I opened my EN 10.4.3, copied one of my jpegs from a note to try pasting it into a new note.  When I created the new note, the note contents in ALL of my other notes was "gone".  I tried different views - same result.  I quit EN then restarted - a new update automatically started, and I could now see my EN contents.  This kind of behavior is unacceptable - I'll just have to see what the new update brings.  And I must turn the autoupdate feature OFF.

I, too, have had nothing but problems with this version.

I was happy when there was a software update available yesterday, hoping it would fix bugs.  But it doesn't seem to make a difference.

For example, just today I attached a PDF by dragging it from Finder onto the Evernote window.  Nothing happened.  I forgot about it for a while.  Then several hours later, I noticed the new Evernote window popping up to include the attachment.  I'm not even upset any more - I laughed out loud at how hilariously slow that was. :)

I am going back to Evernote Legacy for a while.

• Like 1

Long tormented with the fallen speed of work, bugs and unpleasant changes after the program upgrade, decided to interrupt a long friendship with Evernote and switch to Joplin. User with premium subscription should not suffer while using the program.

On 12/2/2020 at 5:46 AM, broslavski said:

Long tormented with the fallen speed of work, bugs and unpleasant changes after the program upgrade, decided to interrupt a long friendship with Evernote and switch to Joplin. User with premium subscription should not suffer while using the program.

You are brave.  I love the concept of OpenSource.  I took a quick look at Joplin and it looks like it would be a a steep learning curve for me.  At least you will mitigate unsolicited change, own your data and have access to it.  Good Luck

26 minutes ago, martinewski said:

I deleted Evernote 10 from my Mac and will be using the previous version until the new one is better. Unfortunately I can't revert it on the iPhone.

I understand completely and did the same thing and installed the Legacy version which seemed to work nicely with iOS.  But, then I couldn't determine when or if my concerns were addressed by the newer releases for OSx.  So, as a premium user, I grudgingly submitted a support request for one specific issue caused by 10.3.7. The EN support staff responded in a couple of days in an email with Ticket number).  I requested they advise me when my concern was resolved - which they never did.  But, with the email and ticket number I could email support weekly to check progress and see if my specific concern was addressed. After a couple of weeks, my email update request resulting in a generic "new release should address" my issue.  And the 10.4.3 release for Mac did address the speed issue I was having (I'm running on MacMini with BigSur 11.0.1) - slow sync with the EN database and delay in keystrokes reaching the EN screen.

While I was able to get up and running with the current release, it's only temporary.  Due to the ongoing performance issues and unexpected changes, I'm not planning on continuing with EN for the long term.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:04 PM, doranchak said:

I, too, have had nothing but problems with this version.

I was happy when there was a software update available yesterday, hoping it would fix bugs.  But it doesn't seem to make a difference.

For example, just today I attached a PDF by dragging it from Finder onto the Evernote window.  Nothing happened.  I forgot about it for a while.  Then several hours later, I noticed the new Evernote window popping up to include the attachment.  I'm not even upset any more - I laughed out loud at how hilariously slow that was. :)

I am going back to Evernote Legacy for a while.

Sadly, I wasn't surprised by your post.  I use and need that functionality.  So I tried it on my MacMini.  I created a new note first.  Then opened Finder, found a .pdf and dropped it in the new note.  It worked fine.  I opened an old note and tried pdf drag and drop and it worked fine. Specs on my Mac and EN are attached984931198_ScreenShot2020-12-03at8_43_52AM.png.48e4e8bc1e7cc22131d4e1ec6848a09d.png575549706_ScreenShot2020-12-03at8_43_23AM.png.d1112be47057b041985cff9335485d3f.png

• 2 weeks later...

The new Evernote (I guess it is version 10, I have 10.4.4 atm) also works horribly for me. I really love the app but I'm seriously considering switching to something else because it is so laggy now. It requires so much CPU power now that it is no longer easy to use. "Evernote Helper (Renderer)" also constantly runs in the background when the app is open (that I can see in Activity Monitor—on a Mac) and takes up 30-100+% of my CPU power, even when I'm doing something else with the app in the background! I have a 2015 duo-core Mac Air, but still, how can a 6 year old computer not run an app as simple as Evernote! I know this is not the place really, but the app on IOS has the exact same problem—in that case I have an iPhone 12 and still it is laggy. I really don't understand what the developers have been thinking with making an app that is so easy to use suddenly SO memory heavy on both iOS and OSX. I am going to switch to something else if this is not resolved, even though I have over 2,500 notes and use it all day essentially.

• Like 1

Also, Joplin looks great. Can someone from Evernote respond to this issue of lagginess/slowness of the app? If not Joplin looks like a great alternative that I will switch to in the next week. Joplin looks like moving from STATA or SAS into R, which was a great move!

9 minutes ago, Tyler Zero said:

Also, Joplin looks great. Can someone from Evernote respond to this issue of lagginess/slowness of the app? If not Joplin looks like a great alternative that I will switch to in the next week. Joplin looks like moving from STATA or SAS into R, which was a great move!

Been using Joplin for almost 10 days and I'm happy every time I touch this product: it's what I've needed all along. No unnecessary features that overload the user interface, instant click response, no slowdowns when creating notes and navigating.

I also created a sync with the self hosted NextCloud on my server with full End-To-End Encryption (E2EE) encryption of my notes, giving me full control over my notes and no third-party access. NexCloud is very easy to install and configure and there is detailed documentation. But if this is difficult for novice users, you can set up synchronization with Dropbox, OneDrive, WebDav or AWS S3 if you wish.

It's a pity that Evernote could not adopt the best ideas and best practices of open-source products and turned its child into a clumsy monster overloaded with useless functionality that is simply impossible to use comfortably.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 12/21/2020 at 9:26 AM, buckethead said:

This morning is particularly slow and brutal for app performance on my MBA.

I had glacial performance around the same time—could this be a variable server problem, rather than an issue with the app itself?

1 hour ago, Peter Olins said:

Apple does not permit Joplin the be installed under OS 11 (big sur).

I am using MacOS Catalina right now. Everything is going fine. Did you try to look into Security and Privacy section of the System preferences to give the necessary permissions to the program?

• Thanks 1

Guys, 

never wrote here before. But just to let you or anyone at Evernote-Team know:

This new Ver 10.xx update didn't make anything better, but everything worse.

Evernote was good as it was, nearly perfect. No-one who uses Evernote "professionally" or for business needed any changes. No more local notebooks, slow responsiveness , sync-issues, iOS-versions are slow as well or unresponsive, encryption tools like Safe-Room don't work any longer:

What the heck is this good for? Most users of any kind of software don´t want permanent "updates", they want stability and reliability !

Just now, Gomerdoc said:

Guys, 

never wrote here before. But just to let you or anyone at Evernote-Team know:

This new Ver 10.xx update didn't make anything better, but everything worse.

Evernote was good as it was, nearly perfect. No-one who uses Evernote "professionally" or for business needed any changes. No more local notebooks, slow responsiveness , sync-issues, iOS-versions are slow as well or unresponsive, encryption tools like Safe-Room don't work any longer:

What the heck is this good for? Most users of any kind of software don´t want permanent "updates", they want stability and reliability !

It's simple. No more Evernote, no more problems.
In a month of using Joplin I have never been disappointed in it, and I wonder why I didn't do it earlier. As a bonus: during the time of using the new program I confidently mastered the Markdown syntax and now use it all the time without switching to the wysiwyg-editor.
I am not angry at the Evernote team, although I suffered a lot with bugs after the upgrade, but until they fundamentally change the product in terms of performance and stability, I am sure that the product has no future. Sad but true.

I haven’t tried Joplin, but have spent the last month using and comparing Notion and Keep It (Apple only -- and not to be confused with Google Keep). Although Notion is powerful, the Evernote debacle taught me an important lesson which is that all files should be stored in your primary directory in a commonly-used, archival-friendly format.

Keep It meets that standard, as all files are stored in the Finder... and can be stored as Rich Text. In addition,  PDFs, PNGs, JPGs, Word, Excel, etc are supported. This means all notes are stored in common formats in the Finder, and are securely backed-up and synced through iCloud to iOS and other Macs, plus are plus backed-up incrementally in Time Machine.

Keep It has internal links to other apps, an amazing web clipper that can save in PDF format, and an AppleScript option that saves email with an embedded links that open the original emails.

After being limited in Evernote, I now appreciate the combination of using unlimited nested folders and a much better implementation of tags. Moreover, all the tags are functional in the Finder, which make Keep It a stand-alone MacOS tagging app. I have never previously used tags in the Finder, and this opens a whole new world. There is an excellent import feature from Evernote to Keep It that preserves tags.

Need a note, file, or PDF 20 years from now? Keep It has it stored in your MacOS directory, tucked away in a logical nested folder structure, stored in a common archival format, searchable by tags, and backed up in Time Machine. Again, the Evernote lesson is to never again use a proprietary storage format.

19 minutes ago, Jason Goldsmith said:

I haven’t tried Joplin, but have spent the last month using and comparing Notion and Keep It (Apple only -- and not to be confused with Google Keep). Although Notion is powerful, the Evernote debacle taught me an important lesson which is that all files should be stored in your primary directory in a commonly-used, archival-friendly format.

Keep It meets that standard, as all files are stored in the Finder... and can be stored as Rich Text. In addition,  PDFs, PNGs, JPGs, Word, Excel, etc are supported. This means all notes are stored in common formats in the Finder, and are securely backed-up and synced through iCloud to iOS and other Macs, plus are plus backed-up incrementally in Time Machine.

Keep It has internal links to other apps, an amazing web clipper that can save in PDF format, and an AppleScript option that saves email with an embedded links that open the original emails.

After being limited in Evernote, I now appreciate the combination of using unlimited nested folders and a much better implementation of tags. Moreover, all the tags are functional in the Finder, which make Keep It a stand-alone MacOS tagging app. I have never previously used tags in the Finder, and this opens a whole new world. There is an excellent import feature from Evernote to Keep It that preserves tags.

Need a note, file, or PDF 20 years from now? Keep It has it stored in your MacOS directory, tucked away in a logical nested folder structure, stored in a common archival format, searchable by tags, and backed up in Time Machine. Again, the Evernote lesson is to never again use a proprietary storage format.

Joplin is an Open Source product which allows you to keep full control over your notes: you can set up note synchronization with third-party clouds such as Dropbox or with a NextCloud on your server with full encryption. The simplicity, instant responsiveness of the interface and search are also advantages. Also Evernote notes can be imported into the database without any problems. But your own experience speaks better than my words. You can just install it and see for yourself.

Wow I'm not alone! Was going to contact Evernote but found this first. I installed v10.4.4 last month after not upgrading for a long time (2016 Macbook with OS Catalina). I wanted Dark Mode in Evernote because I take notes on sales calls for my job and 1) need to type very fast 2) don't want a bright screen reflecting in my glasses. In the new version, typing is so unresponsive. Especially if I make a typo and work to fix it quickly. It's def slowing my work down. 

To me, I notice the lag most when I see the notice that Evernote is "Saving..." on the bottom right of the screen. It's like saving every 2 seconds is messing up the typing. 

Thanks to everyone joining in about this and I hope it is fixed soon. I may downgrade to an older version in the meantime. 

• Level 5
On 12/29/2020 at 10:15 AM, Jason Goldsmith said:

While Keep It has some attractive features, in my trial, only about 60% of notes imported correctly.

I've had 100% success in the import process from Evernote to Keep It (including retaining Evernote tags), but I'm going slow with the import process in order to learn Keep It well, and in order to build a new work flow. I figure that I have a year before Big Sur is surpassed by the next MacOS upgrade, and at that point legacy Evernote will be history.

Keep it has several note format options (markdown, plain text, and rich text) as well as a "Keep It" format. I believe the import-from-evernote process coverts notes into the "Keep It" format...which I ultimately don't want for any notes that need to last in perpetuity. From my internet research, rich text and PDF are among the best archival formats. 

My primary goal is to create archive quality notes and PDF files that are stored in the MacOS directory (Finder). 

So, wherever I have a prized note,  I cut and paste content from Evernote into a rich text document in Keep It in order to create an archival format (the note is stored in the Finder as a rich text document). 

And I just drag PDFs from Evernote to Keep It such the the new Keep It note is in PDF format (it's stored in the finder as a PDF).

I didn't realize the trap I was building by putting everything into Evernote. Fortunately, I met a systems administrator more than a decade ago who warned me about the possibility of an Evernote directory failure (never happened), but that scared me enough to keep all my mission critical documents in the Finder. Thus, most of my 10,000 plus notes in Evernote are web clippings, receipts, etc - stuff that was once interesting or part of a now-completed or abandoned project. I imagine that my good and important material in Evernote is about 30%, and the other 70% will be deleted come 2022. For those who have culled and refined their collection of Evernote notes over the years, the export process is more time consuming (and important to get right). 

Import to Joplin is also working good: tags, notebooks, text formatting, lists, tables, attachments, links, etc. The only thing I had to change were the internal links to Evernote notes. I did it using search query "evernote:///view".

I tried Joplin, too - but stopped when I realized it has no trash bin. While rarely used, that feature is critical to me when deleting notes accidentally. But other than that, Joplin seems the best replacement option so far.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 5:10 PM, fnl said:

Dear Evernote Team, thank you for continuing to evolve my potentially most cherished piece of software. However, the new v10 I just installed is annoyingly hard to use, because all interactions are so slow: Clicking on anything is no longer snappy like in typical desktop apps, but rather a slow and laggy experience, and I see the dreaded spinning wheel everywhere, e.g., just by switching between notes. Luckily we can roll back to the v7 client for now, but I hope this can be solved and the UI made fluid and usable, as this version of Evernote is, I am sorry to say, 100% unusable to me. Looking forward to a version that is lag-free!

I am also having slowness problems. If I type one letter it takes about four seconds for it to appear. If I type many letters rapidly, it takes four seconds and then they all appear at once. This is on a 2017 MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.15.7 (19H114). I am also running it on an iPad and have very similar problems on there too. On both devices I have deleted the app, rebooted, and reinstalled it, with no change in the behavior. Evernote Web works fine. 

That reminds me of another reason why I am still using the EN Legacy app: When I create new notes, EN 10.x sometimes hangs and the new note does not become "available" (stays a white sheet, with no title and text field).  As I typically am in a hurry when using Evernote to take notes "in realtime", having EN hang on new notes is a total deal-breaker. Last tested and encountered on EN 10.5.7.

• Like 1

Using windows 10 with Evernote release 10.5.7 and it is extremely slow while typing.   When I type in a word/phrase, it doesn't show up for 4~5 seconds.   I back to writing on paper an scanning notes in later because I can't take notes during meetings.  Is there a fix coming?  I'm not too concerned with "upcoming functionality" if the basic input isn't working.  I really like Evernote and have used for years.  Trusting a fix is coming soon.  Looks to be an issue based on these posts since 10/2020.

• Like 1

I'm alarmed by this:

On 10/26/2020 at 1:45 AM, AviDee said:

OK, here’s the repro.

1. Make a new note
  2. Drag a web image into it
  3. Do a “Get Info” on the note

In the old Evernote, the image is actually embedded. If the image you dragged in was 1MB, then the note will be 1MB.

In the new Evernote, the image is pasted in as a link.

The whole point of me dragging in images is to save a local copy!

One of the attractions of Evernote is that your note has persistence independent from changes to a site from which you clipped content, you can access your note offline. Even with classic Evernote I had cases where images inexplicably were referenced instead of inserted. While I never could quite reproduce that problem (I was assured that that was not the standard/expected behavior), I'm worried that this could become the new normal.

• Like 1

I noticed that if there is no Internet, if you turn off the wireless Internet, the Evernote application works much faster and more comfortable. It looks like the sync is not done in the best way and it slows down the application. It is necessary that synchronization occurs in the real background, without affecting the user experience. I am not a professional programmer and I don’t know how this is done in applications of this kind. There are different events that take place in the application: creating a note, changing a reminder, etc. These events should occur immediately, and should not wait for a response from the server about the successful completion of the event record in databases. Events should be logged to the server in the background.

• Level 5

Think of EN v10 as a window inside of a browser.

This describes pretty much the limits. In the native apps there was a local data base, which could perform local operations and keep integrity. v10 does not have it, thus it depends heavily on the server connection. My impression is that currently an EN iOS client with fully downloaded offline data is the "better" client to work offline. But as it is a mobile client, it lacks key features like working on more than one note at a time.

• 1 month later...

I really hope Evernote has a performance team that is constantly trying to improve performance of all the apps. I haven't noticed any major improvements in App performance since the new version has come out. 

I've noticed off late that even the web version is prohibitively slow. Basic things like typing in the note editor and adding a tag oftentimes has a 4-5 second lag. It is not a pleasant experience. I often find myself switching back to the old faithful native Mac client.

I'm concerned that Everntote should not take it's focus off performance as it continues to add fancy new features and in achieving feature parity with legacy Evernote.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Pre said:

I really hope Evernote has a performance team that is constantly trying to improve performance of all the apps. I haven't noticed any major improvements in App performance since the new version has come out. 

I've noticed off late that even the web version is prohibitively slow. Basic things like typing in the note editor and adding a tag oftentimes has a 4-5 second lag. It is not a pleasant experience. I often find myself switching back to the old faithful native Mac client.

I'm concerned that Everntote should not take it's focus off performance as it continues to add fancy new features and in achieving feature parity with legacy Evernote.

I’d say this is the “new normal”

I suspect that every complaint in this entire thread is due to the new versions of Evernote being written in Electron.  I've tried alternatives, like Notejoy, Nimbus Note, but they're also written in Electron, and are not really any snappier than Evernote.  So I'm sticking with v7.14 on the Mac, and ignoring the reminder blurbs that keep popping up telling me it's time to upgrade.  No way...!

It's just a pity that there is no downgrade pathway for iOS on my iPhone or iPad - those new versions are terrible, too, especially the clipper!

And to think that while we had v7.14 on the Mac and the previous versions on iOS, they were all working so well...!

The problem with searching for an alternative, and I have tried many, is that at best, they're still not even as good as Evernote has been.  But what they don't seem to realize is that they need to be not just "as good" - they need to be BETTER, so that there is incentive to switch.  If they're only "as good", then where is the incentive to switch?  May as well stick with EN until they get it right...!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NightStalker said:

I suspect that every complaint in this entire thread is due to the new versions of Evernote being written in Electron.  I've tried alternatives, like Notejoy, Nimbus Note, but they're also written in Electron, and are not really any snappier than Evernote.  So I'm sticking with v7.14 on the Mac, and ignoring the reminder blurbs that keep popping up telling me it's time to upgrade.  No way...!

It's just a pity that there is no downgrade pathway for iOS on my iPhone or iPad - those new versions are terrible, too, especially the clipper!

And to think that while we had v7.14 on the Mac and the previous versions on iOS, they were all working so well...!

The problem with searching for an alternative, and I have tried many, is that at best, they're still not even as good as Evernote has been.  But what they don't seem to realize is that they need to be not just "as good" - they need to be BETTER, so that there is incentive to switch.  If they're only "as good", then where is the incentive to switch?  May as well stick with EN until they get it right...!

I think Evernote's code may be more complicated than other apps (app size is 300mb after downloading). I may not be right because I am not an engineer.

But in some cases Evernote is better than Notion. I don't know how Notion is now. In Sept last year, Notion lagged a second or two when opening every note. On Evernote even v10.0.x, it is a bit faster but a bit laggy in some situations like typing in my language.

I just accept the performance now but I don't mean the app is nice compared to other apps especially Bear. My iPhone X feels really hot when editing notes, and sometimes sync does not work when you are back to the phone's Home Screen without returning to note list waiting for sync complete. I prefer they improve more in terms of performance and reliability first before launching Home, Tasks and other entirely new functionality.

• Like 1

I've been using the Windows app since many years. With the recent upgrade Evernote has become so slow it's unusable. Switching between notebooks and notes, updating something in a note, everything just takes really long to actually use the app efficiently.

The UI also doesn't make any sense with some part of the screen super packed and other parts completely empty. This is unfortunately another example how a great app got ruined by trying to make things "better".  For me,  Evernote has worked perfectly before. There was really no reason to "imporove" anything.

I'll wait another update cycle. If things don't improve, I'm seriously considering to switch There is not too much price difference between OneNote and Evernote Premium.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a long time and a huge user of Evernote.

Since the rewrite it has been a nightmare. Yes as it's already said : it's so slow. But not only : UI events are handled in random order, with keystokes handled before mouse clicks, even if you did it the other way. The worse thing I've ever seen in decades of computer usage.

The longer the notes are, the worse it is. And some of my notes are really long. It's unbearable.

The rythm of new versions is intense, and each time I hope a performance improvment, but no. More features I absolutely don't care about.

There are UI changes that disn't make sense to me, the legacy version was absolutely OK. But the performance problem is so huge, it makes everything else minor or irrelevant.

Please, no more features or "improvements" until the performance problem is solved. It deserves each and every development capacity you have. Please !

• Like 5

As others have, I too by now have moved on to Joplin for a few months. Not perfect, but much better to use than this new Evernote client on Electron that eternally hangs.

We use Evernote for our business , and have done so for the past 8 to 9 years.  Its now running so slow , we are totally exasperated with it. Having waited for so long for the new improvements, it’s now time for us to use another service. We will be researching the best to suit our business. We use MS Teams for our day to day communication and my gut feeling we will be moving all our documents and notes into there in the very near future.  Hey Ho. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I hope this slowness will get better soon. I assume employees at Evernote also use Evernote for their daily processes.  They must be suffering the same. Unless they have a special version that you can disable auto sync. 

I found out that EN gets slower and slower the more you use it, especially after working with attachments/pictures. 

You need to restart the app after a few open/close of notes and attachments.