Anyone Else Thinking of Switching?

It really appears that Evernote's recent changes have been a big FAIL.  In the past few weeks, I have not been able to log in to my Windows app consistently and today the new web version is freezing and I cannot access some of my notes.  This is TOTALLY unacceptable.

I have downloaded Notion and plan on testing it out.  

Anyone else looking seriously at other options?

• Like 5

No, I’m not thinking about switching currently. Evernote’s custom templates, note merge, multi platform access and tags system are exceptional and there is no near level equivalent. I tried notion but it is so complex and tags appear to be specific to an area and not universal, even if there is a way to do that - a slight example of the complexity of basic tasks there. 

My Evernote subscription runs for 7 more months, I’ll see where things are at nearer that point. The launch of the new apps sure hasn’t been smooth and the silence of Ian and the team is a concern, I do hope they can turn this around though as it is a generally excellent product. 

• Like 6

Ideally no, but the iPad version is pretty much unusable at the moment and the iPad is my main travel companion. I need to use something on the go. I'm not really sure whether the issue is simply a bug waiting to be fixed, or whether that's simply the performance level on older (iPad Pro 2017) devices. Evernote's communication on these things is frustrating and makes it hard to judge what to do. I have no idea how long I should wait. Is a fix coming next week? Or is it months away? Or never? 

At some point I'll have to use something else if that doesn't change. As I say, I need something that works on the iPad. But I don't really want to have the hassle of changing platform if I can help it. If nothing else, I've already paid for this service and want to make the most of it til my sub runs out.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Since it's still possible to go back to the 'old' version of Desktop and Android.  I do think the best way to deal with the v10 update is to ignore it for a few months until it's more usable and stick with what we know and -kinda- love.

I am worried that Evernote seem to have an "I wonder if we really need that" attitude to some currently missing features - it seems to have been a surprise that users would need to email notes to others,  and use the Presentation mode to share data - so silence from the user-base might confirm their view and doom some previously standard options to oblivion.  But I see no reason to march over bridges before I have to - as long as the legacy version has support I'll be here.  

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

.. 1 1

6 hours ago, tony10000 said:

Some people are reporting big problems with V10:

Yes, it's the initial release of a rewritten code base and is a work-in-progress
I would not consider switching to it until they complete the work and resolve issues/bugs

No; I won't be switching anytime soon.  I've looked at all the so called competitors over the previous 18-months and they don't work for me.

I'm happy with the current situation it does have some foibles of course; the new software on Mac, PC and iOS is broadly working well for me and many of the irritations I had before have been solved, so, I am actually thrilled.

Open minded for the future and for what they can achieve now the technical debt is reduced/eradicated

• Like 2
10 hours ago, tony10000 said:

It really appears that Evernote's recent changes have been a big FAIL.  In the past few weeks, I have not been able to log in to my Windows app consistently and today the new web version is freezing and I cannot access some of my notes.  This is TOTALLY unacceptable.

I have downloaded Notion and plan on testing it out.  

Anyone else looking seriously at other options?

I am indeed reviewing other options, chiefly OneNote (because I pay for Microsoft 365 Enterprise Apps anyway, and OneNote has come a long way and integrates with other Office and Teams applications) and Notion.

I use Evernote for three main use cases: (1) clipping articles I want for my personal knowledge base, (2) saving important reference papers, chiefly as PDFs, and (3) note-taking while studying either personally or professionally.

I started using Evernote on Windows, and so I have "grown up" being used to a certain amount of formatting, so that my notes are attractive as well as informative, and version 10 seems to undo so much of that. In particularly: clipping into version 10 yields notes that preserve almost none of the formatting that works just fine with version 6.25.2.9198 (309198).

I've played with some importing into Notion, and that does a pretty good job of format preservation, although there are some portions of my notes which don't seem to make it over. But at least it is a current, supported import tool. OneNote had an importer, but Microsoft no longer updates it. That may not be a problem, as my attempts at importing so far have been very successful. Perhaps there is some third party out there that has developed a more up-to-date importing tool.

One problem with Notion: there doesn't seem to be a way to move its on-machine cache to another drive. Clogging up the system drive ("...\AppData\Roaming\Notion") with data is very, very poor practice. Evernote and OneNote can be located on my main data drive.

So, yes. I'm with you. I am sticking with "Legacy" for now, but I will be making a decision between now and the end of the year to either stay with Evernote or to make a complete change.

Good luck with your decision.

• Like 2

So far so good for me. I have had zero problems with the new Windows versions, and while I would like the Import Folder, ability to manage Tags as previous, and miss the ability to set Styles and view options for individual views, I'm pretty happy. I still find having to see "Shared With Me" in the left panel annoying - I do not share Evernote files with anyone, and would like to turn that off.

However, I really like the new Editor, and am especially happy with the way that Reminders are implemented, notably the functionality when setting them in individual notes. I think the merge feature is greatly improved too.

The new version feels stable and as I'm using the Android Beta the user experience feels, for the first time, consistent across these two platforms - or as consistent as they can be given the screen size difference.

My verdict is - those of us using the new release are absolutely beta testers, but I have faith in the company to improve the release and add back in the features that are missing. And the improvements in the editor and reminders outweigh any negatives for me.

My two cents...

• Like 5

Went back to v7 for now. Will stay there for few months at-least, then decide.

IMHO, one of the bigger features of Evernote was its light footprint and snappiness. Part of it could be because it was a native app.

I am not sure that if it is worth sticking to Evernote if they want to switch to web technologies. There are more feature-rich alternatives like Notion or Roam Research in that case.

I'm a Windows User and am a long time Evernote User, I looked forward to the update but to my horror rather than making the application I love and use every day better they have made it so much worse! I use Evernote on all my devices both Windows and Android and had got used to the vagaries of the disparate apps and would have welcomed a more uniformed experience, what I do not welcome is the sacrifice of form over function. The new version feels like it's been gutted! There are so many things that seem to be gone! I use a printer driver to create PDF's of emails, web pages and then import them into Evernote by depositing them in a specific folder automatically. I also use a Scansnap Document Scanner to do the same job with Hard Copy Documents. It has become an integral part of my work flow and in version 10 you are prevented from doing this. Documents have to be dragged and dropped individually taking inordinate amounts of time. Hardly an advance..... I'm going to persevere for a while but I'm a long time premium user and feel totally disrespected by the company and the way they seem to ignore their user base. (I am playing with Nimbus at the moment and may move......) Hopefully swift updates will return a revitalised Evernote soon.......     

• Like 3

After 12 years, I'm bugging out. I've lost a maddening amount of content in new notes and edits over the past few weeks. The lack of concern or messaging around this type of problem from Evernote is a huge red flag for me, especially since it was reported during the beta. I can overlook a lot of things, but data loss is not on that list.

I'll be sticking with the old desktop app as a repository, since I have 25k+ notes. No more new content will be added. Currently test-driving a few other approaches and trying to decide what data I will migrate out of Evernote. 

• Like 4
On 10/13/2020 at 10:38 AM, wbutchart said:

No, I’m not thinking about switching currently. Evernote’s custom templates, note merge, multi platform access and tags system are exceptional and there is no near level equivalent. I tried notion but it is so complex and tags appear to be specific to an area and not universal, even if there is a way to do that - a slight example of the complexity of basic tasks there. 

My Evernote subscription runs for 7 more months, I’ll see where things are at nearer that point. The launch of the new apps sure hasn’t been smooth and the silence of Ian and the team is a concern, I do hope they can turn this around though as it is a generally excellent product. 

Give Nimbus Note a try...

23 minutes ago, grumpyg4 said:

Give Nimbus Note a try...

I have it on my iPad - I have em all lol, I really like trying notes apps out. I am not keen on the iPad app to be honest, its layout isnt as good as Evernote 10 in my view and the tags are hidden in the settings. I wasn’t aware there are custom templates though on nimbus, I’ll have a wee look. Honestly though, Evernote’s ease of use for the features I mentioned mean I’m not one of those in a hurry to leave, I’ll give it the 7 months, I just wish iOS sync was a bit more reliable, thats my main concern now. 

What happened to all of the export options in the new Windows version?  No more HTML?  Only ENEX?  How are you supposed to get your data out of EN other than by using the legacy version?  Are they trying to make EN a walled fortress?

With the new Evernote 10 I am finally switching to Nimbus Note. Years of no real development, many requested features not implemented, often no reaction from the Evernote team to reasonable requests (for example on a 9(!) year old request for text collapse with a huge amount of user responses), and - the final straw - even removing important features in the new version, is enough. Not speaking of the half-baked new version that was thrown out missing a lot of features that could have been implemented (but may never be). Nimbus Note might not have everything I as a power user might want, but it comes close, and it has way more of the features I want than Evernote. And the Nimbus Note team reacts nearly immidiately on user requests or questions. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
On 10/13/2020 at 6:16 PM, Horace_NYC said:

I am indeed reviewing other options, chiefly OneNote (because I pay for Microsoft 365 Enterprise Apps anyway, and OneNote has come a long way and integrates with other Office and Teams applications) and Notion.

I use Evernote for three main use cases: (1) clipping articles I want for my personal knowledge base, (2) saving important reference papers, chiefly as PDFs, and (3) note-taking while studying either personally or professionally.

I started using Evernote on Windows, and so I have "grown up" being used to a certain amount of formatting, so that my notes are attractive as well as informative, and version 10 seems to undo so much of that. In particularly: clipping into version 10 yields notes that preserve almost none of the formatting that works just fine with version 6.25.2.9198 (309198).

I've played with some importing into Notion, and that does a pretty good job of format preservation, although there are some portions of my notes which don't seem to make it over. But at least it is a current, supported import tool. OneNote had an importer, but Microsoft no longer updates it. That may not be a problem, as my attempts at importing so far have been very successful. Perhaps there is some third party out there that has developed a more up-to-date importing tool.

One problem with Notion: there doesn't seem to be a way to move its on-machine cache to another drive. Clogging up the system drive ("...\AppData\Roaming\Notion") with data is very, very poor practice. Evernote and OneNote can be located on my main data drive.

So, yes. I'm with you. I am sticking with "Legacy" for now, but I will be making a decision between now and the end of the year to either stay with Evernote or to make a complete change.

Good luck with your decision.

Does Notion have a proper export format that can be imported by onenote or other note apps?

57 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Does Notion have a proper export format that can be imported by onenote or other note apps?

Notion has options to export notes as PDF, HTML, and Markdown files. I've only experimented with creating PDF files from my notes — including a couple of very large notes with lots of images — and the results are excellent. Those could certainly be imported into OneNote. I have to tell you, though: despite some improvements over the past couple of years, OneNote really is very cumbersome. I have notes on something like 10 problems I've already spotted with it. And I still don't like the fact that Notion doesn't properly store notes on my drive (and takes up too much space on my limited C: drive). Getting kind of frustrated. I'm going to stick with the Legacy version and keep an eye on improvements made to the new code base.

On 10/17/2020 at 4:32 PM, Horace_NYC said:

Notion has options to export notes as PDF, HTML, and Markdown files. I've only experimented with creating PDF files from my notes — including a couple of very large notes with lots of images — and the results are excellent. Those could certainly be imported into OneNote. I have to tell you, though: despite some improvements over the past couple of years, OneNote really is very cumbersome. I have notes on something like 10 problems I've already spotted with it. And I still don't like the fact that Notion doesn't properly store notes on my drive (and takes up too much space on my limited 😄 drive). Getting kind of frustrated. I'm going to stick with the Legacy version and keep an eye on improvements made to the new code base.

When exporting html, Notion does not include files, they're only referenced on the server. Big problem for me.

If you want to quit EN, then another app may have same problem few years down the line. 

Better to think how to change your workflow so that you are not tied up to any proprietary note format. This means writing your notes in DOCX, HTML, RTF or similar. 

Then what you need is searching capability across all notes. There are many 3rd party apps for that. If you keep your notes in cloud (Dropbox, Onedrive, Gdrive) then you can sync across devices too.

Using this route, you will never have to think about any migration. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Vidalia said:

Better to think how to change your workflow so that you are not tied up to any proprietary note format.

Hmmn.  I agree with half that statement.  My frustration with everyone's negative reaction so far has been that early adopters,  who had an option,  (with the exception of iOS) still chose to update to the latest shiny new version - and then complain that it doesn't work the same way as the old one.  There's a Legacy version guys (and gals) - go reinstall that (unless you're an iPhone user) and go back to the interface you knew - and (apparently) hated less.

See: I have tasks to get done.  They're independent of apps,  which I use to make my life easier.  Tasks are depressingly consistent.  Apps tend to come and go according to the whims and finances of their individual business interests that (quite properly) totally ignore my situation in any decision making process.

When - and it's always when, not if - an app changes,  I need to find a way around that issue so I can get back to my tasks.  I'll either change my workflow,  or I'll change the app.  That's it.  No other choices,  no winging that the app provider has failed to meet my expectations... well,  not much anyway.  Those nasty task thingies are still hanging around,  and it's going to be me on the firing line if they don't get processed.  I need to choose better apps.

Before I get the old 'fanboi!' reaction - I'm not defending Evernote here in any way.  I think that Ian Small (the man in the 'buck stops here' desk) has presided over the worst bit of user support in Evernote's not particularly impressive history.  He presents - in another third party video* - the reassuring news that launching the new app was not the aim of their re-coding exercise.  This is just the first step in recreating the full Evernote experience from the ground up.  More and more legacy features plus new shiny ones will be released during this year.

That should have been on the table before the launch - and definitely before the very basic new app dropped on iOS. 

But.  We are where we are.  I'll not pretend I'm not also evaluating alternatives,  but I'm staying with Evernote - I may even renew my subscription again - whilst continuing to hit tasks with my Legacy Evernote.  I look forward to more updates with interest and hope.

* Someone else flagged this new video - sorry I forgot to link back to that...

• Like 8
  • Level 5*
38 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm staying with Evernote - I may even renew my subscription again - whilst continuing to hit tasks with my Legacy Evernote.  I look forward to more updates with interest and hope.

Likewise, I'm renewing my subscription (due at the end of the month)
I can't say how long I'll need the Legacy version, or how long it will remain functional     
so my only concession is switching to monthly payment

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/19/2020 at 10:10 AM, Vidalia said:

This means writing your notes in DOCX, HTML, RTF or similar. 

I would be sticking with html format,      
but I don't have a suitable editor alternative to the Evernote editor    Edit; LibreOffice works

10 hours ago, chronistin said:

When exporting html, Notion does not include files, they're only referenced on the server. Big problem for me.

That's an excellent point; thank you for highlighting it.

Notion doesn't do it for me, and OneNote is not what it could have been. I am going to stick with the Legacy version and watch as Evernote gets its mojo back as features are added back to the new codebase.

I've been in software for over 35 years, so i get the retreat to something solid (you have to do that, sometimes). I can wait for six months or more to see how things get added back.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  I agree with half that statement.  My frustration with everyone's negative reaction so far has been that early adopters,  who had an option,  (with the exception of iOS) still chose to update to the latest shiny new version - and then complain that it doesn't work the same way as the old one.  There's a Legacy version guys (and gals) - go reinstall that (unless you're an iPhone user) and go back to the interface you knew - and (apparently) hated less.

See: I have tasks to get done.  They're independent of apps,  which I use to make my life easier.  Tasks are depressingly consistent.  Apps tend to come and go according to the whims and finances of their individual business interests that (quite properly) totally ignore my situation in any decision making process.

When - and it's always when, not if - an app changes,  I need to find a way around that issue so I can get back to my tasks.  I'll either change my workflow,  or I'll change the app.  That's it.  No other choices,  no winging that the app provider has failed to meet my expectations... well,  not much anyway.  Those nasty task thingies are still hanging around,  and it's going to be me on the firing line if they don't get processed.  I need to choose better apps.

Before I get the old 'fanboi!' reaction - I'm not defending Evernote here in any way.  I think that Ian Small (the man in the 'buck stops here' desk) has presided over the worst bit of user support in Evernote's not particularly impressive history.  He presents - in another third party video* - the reassuring news that launching the new app was not the aim of their re-coding exercise.  This is just the first step in recreating the full Evernote experience from the ground up.  More and more legacy features plus new shiny ones will be released during this year.

That should have been on the table before the launch - and definitely before the very basic new app dropped on iOS. 

But.  We are where we are.  I'll not pretend I'm not also evaluating alternatives,  but I'm staying with Evernote - I may even renew my subscription again - whilst continuing to hit tasks with my Legacy Evernote.  I look forward to more updates with interest and hope.

* Someone else flagged this new video - sorry I forgot to link back to that...

Just noticed the Tom Solid video posted yesterday. Thank you for alerting me to it. (I took yesterday off from the machine and spent time with my stereo equipment ... er, another machine, i guess.)

I agree that they should have added more to the foundation before releasing 10, but good for them for packaging Legacy for us (and even, it seems, updating it once in the past few days).

I'm glad that they have rethought the codebase and started over, in essence. Evernote is 20 years old, and this should give it a new lease on life (or lease of life, if you're a Brit). I'm sticking with Legacy and will continue to enjoy all that it does for me, and i look forward to keeping track of features as they are built back on top of the new foundation.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

In theory, I absolutely agree, and in the last year I have rebuilt my workflow so that I can live (work) without Evernote, as it was becoming clear that the development has changed direction. In this special case, I still hold a grudge, because I used to love that app so much. It was such an effortless way to collect, file, organize and archive everything I need. It matched my way of thinking, if you know what I mean. Now for a while, with every update they change or take away things that came naturally to me. 

My subscription runs until July next year, and I still hope against hope that something changes for the better. 

• Like 5
47 minutes ago, Horace_NYC said:

That's an excellent point; thank you for highlighting it.

Notion doesn't do it for me, and OneNote is not what it could have been. I am going to stick with the Legacy version and watch as Evernote gets its mojo back as features are added back to the new codebase.

I've been in software for over 35 years, so i get the retreat to something solid (you have to do that, sometimes). I can wait for six months or more to see how things get added back.

I hear you, also trying to sit this out but slowly losing patience. But the export options are a mess almost everywhere. I haven't found a complete, yet simple (almost) humanreadable format like ENs html export anywhere (didn't check Onenote, as I just hate the look and feel of it). 

Kudos to @tony10000 for starting this topic. It certainly helped me vent a little and then step back and recognize what Evernote is really trying to do and then also realizing that there aren't a lot of options out there that deliver as much as Evernote does. The "Tom Solid" video posted by @gazumped is also really helpful. I watched it twice to make sure i got the most out of it. It really does seem that a number of features will be added back. My one complaint is that Evernote should be more forthcoming about what's on the backlog (little Agile talk there) and how it's currently prioritized.

Would i be the only one who would feel a little better if they did that? Or has anyone found it posted somewhere, and i've just missed it?

• Like 2
  • Level 5
On 10/19/2020 at 5:43 PM, Horace_NYC said:

Kudos to @tony10000 for starting this topic. It certainly helped me vent a little and then step back and recognize what Evernote is really trying to do and then also realizing that there aren't a lot of options out there that deliver as much as Evernote does. The "Tom Solid" video posted by @gazumped is also really helpful. I watched it twice to make sure i got the most out of it. It really does seem that a number of features will be added back. My one complaint is that Evernote should be more forthcoming about what's on the backlog (little Agile talk there) and how it's currently prioritized.

Would i be the only one who would feel a little better if they did that? Or has anyone found it posted somewhere, and i've just missed it?

Here's a link to a thread dedicated to that video:

As for indicating prioritization, I doubt that that will or should happen. It's an invitation to a ****-storm of "Why don't your prioritize A?", followed 2 weeks later by "I thought you were prioritizing B, where is it?", then "And where is C, for Pete's sake," then "Who the **** want's C?"....

Yeah, I am already looking at options. Opened my forum account to voice my discontent.

I have been an avid EN user since 2015. I am (still, but for how long) on a yearly subscription.

My main activity revolves around storing receipts and documents by using the document scan feature on my iPhone then accessing notes when needed on Windows+iPhone.

Recently a new iOS EN update was released and it practically kills my workflow. Essential features have been removed, new useless or poor performing features have been added.

Why?

I’ve sent numerous product suggestions via in-app feature, but no reply.

I’m sure EN support is overwhelmed with negative feedback. But, I work in the software industry myself and the way they have gone about these major updates are quite frankly unacceptable.

If only there was a replacement app that worked as well as the old IOS EN version.

I guess we’re all in the same sinking ship.

Yep now looking actively of switching. When a company does this sort of thing - there's really one reason behind it and that's the dollar. They have thought about it and decided to take a hit. That attitude is a brave and possibly a risky one. So I'm not moving so much because the new 'built from scratch' simplified version with poorer functionality is something I couldn't deal with - I'm moving because of this companies attitude to it's customer base. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Well, time will tell. As far as functionality is concerned Evernote is still sufficient for my needs although I had to change my workflow quite often when features were removed or changed. But I could cope with it and Evernote still is a very important tool for my professional as well as my private life. I just paid for another year of premium just before the new versions came out. Currently, I cannot use my iPad because the app is too slow and after reading the comments here I did not switch to the new Mac version. I hope Evernote will sort out the problems of performance and bugs quickly and then I might stay with Evernote. But if this will take a long time I might switch to a different solution. I own a Synology NAS, and I am thinking of giving Joplin a try. At least I will prepare for an exit strategy. You never know what will happen to Evernote in the future.

I have been a long term user and lover of Evernote. However she has broken my heart because another SaaS company has sold out on its users due to greed and overpromising and under delivering. I am migrating my data as we speak.

• Like 2

Ive been trialling out Keep It with my personal notes, and honestly, Ive been amazed at what Ive been missing. Its 100% plugged into the Apple eco-system, so that's a non-starter for most people. But if you're all Apple, crikey it's a powerful product. It does a tonne of things even the legacy EN can't do, so certainly outstrips EN10.

I suppose it highlights the risk of going for a cross platform strategy. You end up with a product that's less useful for people who don't use all those platforms. Losing Mac features to ensure feature parity with Android isn't very appealing when I dont have an Android phone, for example.

Im sure EN have pulled the numbers & figure that the majority of people will benefit from their new strat. I expect that there are lots of Windows + iPhone users for example. But niche users like me may find other products have just pulled ahead.

2 minutes ago, bishopblaize said:

But if you're all Apple, crikey it's a powerful product. It does a tonne of things even the legacy EN can't do, so certainly outstrips EN10.

The one thing it does not do-unless I am missing something is merge notes.....having said that neither does EN IOS......or EN Web

22 hours ago, rob24hrs said:

The one thing it does not do-unless I am missing something is merge notes.....having said that neither does EN IOS......or EN Web

Looks pretty easy to script it. I’ll have a look over the weekend if I get chance. It’s not something I often do myself but it definitely has its uses.

Yeah, this new Evernote is just annoying and not as easy to use. My subscription runs out in May 21 and I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt and make a decision then, but I did try to post something in the forums earlier and my posts "have to be approved by a moderator", Of course they weren't approved even 4 hours later. 

As a premium user for many years and an Evernote user since 2009 I fail to see why my posts would be moderated and this has annoyed me so much I'm actively looking for an alternative. 

Update FWIW. It's been over 8 hours and my posts are still awaiting moderation. I'm out of patience with Evernote. 

1 hour ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Keep it offers importing of ENEX files. I just did it.

It imports enex files as notes but you can not then MERGE notes....well as far as I can tell and according to the developer of Keep-it.

4 minutes ago, rob24hrs said:

It imports enex files as notes but you can not then MERGE notes....well as far as I can tell and according to the developer of Keep-it.

See this is what happens when I answer forum posts without having coffee yet. My bad. You are right on that one. The import was pretty straightforward though :)

• Like 1

no, I don‘t think a second to switch. I did it already a few times for different reasons and finally I‘m back at Evernote. Yes, the update is challenging (I‘m happy to have the legacy version on my Mac) - but since this week I‘m already at 90% of spending my time on V10 - on iOS and Mac.

It‘s not only note taking, I heavily use Tags, Reminders, Sharing, API based automation, Scanning, OCR, File storage, Annotation of PDF/Images, Email forwarding incl. mailing lists - a long list, still the best fitting solution for my needs.

• Like 2

YES.  The one two punch of this USELESS NEW APP, then changing the limit, I think Im all done with this software.  The only thing I can think of is the owners want to completely destroy it so no one is using it anymore.

If I drop back to a basic user in May, I'll still have access to my notes, so that gives me a long time to test drive a few alternatives and see what suits me better. 

Maybe they will improve this new version and I'll come back to EN with my tail between my legs begging them to take my money for yet another year but I doubt it. It's annoying to have to even look at other solutions but I will be looking. 

I can imagine the EN competitors are rubbing their hands with glee at the potential new customers. EN have really shot themselves in the foot with this release. 

On 10/19/2020 at 11:14 AM, chronistin said:

I have to correct myelf here, they have changed this, files are included now. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I am Ok with using the Legacy version for a while. But, sure, I will look for an alternative.

With 300 notebooks and 40k notes, switching is a pensez-y bien! 

Notion seems to be very interesting and quite powerful. But my workflow relies heavily on the simple yet very powerful tag/notebook system.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Anybody who switches should ask himself whether it is possible to switch again, if need be.

EN has a pretty clear, lean structure. Other note taking apps are similar, but content specially from Notion (which basically is a database with a nice GUI) probably will not be easy to migrate.

As long as the honeymoon goes on, this may seem not so important. But what if ...

• Like 2

The "new" Evernote version 10. What a disappointment. Count me as a very unhappy, long-time Evernote user.

Many of the features I have relied on are gone. I like having a local backup of the database. I line import folders. I like right clicking on stacks, etc.

What a serious disappointment for me. It may be time to look at other options. I may give Evernote a chance to recover from this, but count me as very unhappy.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Anybody who switches should ask himself whether it is possible to switch again, if need be.

EN has a pretty clear, lean structure. Other note taking apps are similar, but content specially from Notion (which basically is a database with a nice GUI) probably will not be easy to migrate.

As long as the honeymoon goes on, this may seem not so important. But what if ...

That's exactly the reason that I stick with evernote: whatever happens to EN, I will always be able to migrate to whatever noteapp. ENEX can be imported by most note apps. I can even write an importer myself because ENEX is a well defined format. And HTML is the standard markup language for WEB documents, so it will always be readable.

Other note apps  are good in importing from evernote but aren't that easy to migrate to any other note app later on...

• Like 2

I have continued my investigations into alternatives, but I have yet to find anything that does what Evernote Legacy does for me. One benefit of this episode is that I have dug much deeper than before into workarounds for little annoyances (mostly around formatting), so my Legacy experience is actually my best Evernote experience ever. I should have paid more attention to these forums.

The biggest thing that continues to bother me, and for which there is no workaround, is how "fragile" Evernote for Windows seems to be about formatting. There are times when I am just paging through a note, and some mis-typed key ends up destroying formatting in the entire note. I wish Evernote would accelerate their development of a "lock" option, which as far as I'm concerned is the only real advantage to Notion.

I will certainly continue to use Evernote, switching to the free version if I have to in April, if only to preserve access to my old notes.

am in the early stages of migrating my workflows to Devonthink (only works on Macs / iphones though) and this is just an eye opener. in a way I am starting to be actually thankful for this mess EN has created as Devonthink is some much more versatile, feature rich and secure (main issue for me after EN dropping local notebooks). Devonthink feels like the adult EN has never grown up to become. importing my EN data worked flawlessly (and I can even export it again as well (just in case - the EN experienced made me a little paranoid))...quitting my premium EN subscription could turn out to be a good thing - who would have thought...

for all I know they have been around for as long as EN, if not longer...and, yes, you can export everything (I have tried..:-)..) as they store all data in standard documents....but, yes, I too hope for EN to recover, I am just very very doubtful by now....but from my 1st hands on impressions with Devonthink I doubt a recovery will bring me back to EN though...

I am thinking of switching too. As 10 year user, I somewhat feel Evernote has betrayed me. I am all for innovation and change. But this is not the way. I am thinking of switching to Notion. Notion is really powerful. I am a heavy tag user. And Notion does not have a global tag view and no offline support. And nimbus notes does not have preview of images in the snipped list view.

• Like 2

10 years of Premium and I baled to Keep It a couple of weeks ago when the new app left me high-and-dry with meeting notes more than a couple of times.

It's not perfect, but the notes can at least be exported in a parseable format in their entirety.

• Level 5

The limit only applies if you export individual notes.

You can export a complete notebook, independently from the number of notes. This is anyhow the best strategy, because the notebook information is not preserved when exporting notes.

The 50-notes-limit is new in v10, the export by notebook is the same as in legacy.

So what you tell yourself is probably over-interpreting a minor change that most likely is related to v10 performance issues.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, tony10000 said:

When I click on the notebook, it only exports the top note.  When I select ALL, I get the 50 note selection limit.

At least on the Mac, click on Notebooks to get to the Notebook list.  Then in the ellipsis (more actions) menu there is an export notebook option.  I just tried that on one of my larger notebooks and it appears to have exported the full notebook.  I didn't confirm but the resulting file was quite large.

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

At least on the Mac, click on Notebooks to get to the Notebook list.  Then in the ellipsis (more actions) menu there is an export notebook option.  I just tried that on one of my larger notebooks and it appears to have exported the full notebook.  I didn't confirm but the resulting file was quite large.

No export Notebook option on the Windows version.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

You might want to test the exported .enex file
I get
          2054791693_ScreenShot2020-10-26at8_18_31AM.png.64cb93515a895aae79509ffc0f1adeb9.png

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You might want to test the exported .enex file

It was a large notebook and took a while to export so was going to try that later, but you saved me the trouble, thanks.  It appears export isn't fully baked on either desktop client.

• Level 5*
On 10/26/2020 at 3:37 AM, davidtderrick said:

But how long will Devonthink be there, and will you be able to leave it? I hope EN recovers.

I can’t predict the future, but if past performance is any indication of future success, then Devonthink ought to be fine, because it has been around a lot longer than Evernote (as an app since at least 2004 (2002 for the company)). As for data portability, it is probably the most robust app on the market: if you “index” files, they are never actually put into the app, so there is no need to leave—you just stop using it if you want. If you “import” files, they are also quite easy to export. Amazingly well done, with smooth rollouts of updates (in my experience) and I don’t remember if it has lost a feature in the last decade—it has definitely gained some along with a solid iOS app.

I hope EN “recovers” as well, but I am afraid that this rollout is probably seen as a “success,” so there isn’t any recovery to do. Onwards and upwards. This is probably the shape of things to come. The good news is that the principles seem to have remained in place, so data portability will be a priority, and I think we can reasonably expect to be able to export in multiple formats at some point. And, they are certainly continuing to innovate. As for Evernote’s longevity, prognosticating isn’t my strong suit, but I think they at least seem to have a solid performance record and a clear path forward, so that puts them ahead of most competitors, especially their cross-platform rivals.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

Amazingly well done, with smooth rollouts of updates (in my experience) and I don’t remember if it has lost a feature in the last decade—it has definitely gained some along with a solid iOS app.

I actually had a poor experience with DEVONthink; I paid for a licence for V3 and had decided last year to move from Evernote to it, for all the reasons you outlined.

I found that as it's Apple only as a platform it restricted me more than I realised and more than I wanted to surrender.  I suffered data loss during their Beta rounds, I participated in.  On 3 occasions after full release where app updates resulted in a solution that wouldn't load - I had to download the DMG and fully install again.  The OCR technology mangles scans on an ongoing basis and therefore I couldn't use it despite paying the licence for it.  The iOS app is very slow to sync and can be devilishly hard to surface results and is unstable.  The major thing which caused me to ditch them was not once but twice the sync via Dropbox and macOS/iOS apps broke down.  Without any reason nothing would sync.  I repaired it once, which took ages.  When it happened a second time... well... I called time on the software and came crawling back to Evernote.

11 hours ago, danio72 said:

I actually had a poor experience with DEVONthink; I paid for a licence for V3 and had decided last year to move from Evernote to it, for all the reasons you outlined.

I found that as it's Apple only as a platform it restricted me more than I realised and more than I wanted to surrender.  I suffered data loss during their Beta rounds, I participated in.  On 3 occasions after full release where app updates resulted in a solution that wouldn't load - I had to download the DMG and fully install again.  The OCR technology mangles scans on an ongoing basis and therefore I couldn't use it despite paying the licence for it.  The iOS app is very slow to sync and can be devilishly hard to surface results and is unstable.  The major thing which caused me to ditch them was not once but twice the sync via Dropbox and macOS/iOS apps broke down.  Without any reason nothing would sync.  I repaired it once, which took ages.  When it happened a second time... well... I called time on the software and came crawling back to Evernote.

thanks for sharing, as I have just migrated to Devonthink I will watch out for these pitfalls...to date (and it is still early) I can only say that Devonthink has so many features I had hoped EN would deliver at some point and I am close to enthusiastic. will watch out for the stability issues you describe though and back up even more frequently...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, toao said:

thanks for sharing, as I have just migrated to Devonthink I will watch out for these pitfalls...to date (and it is still early) I can only say that Devonthink has so many features I had hoped EN would deliver at some point and I am close to enthusiastic. will watch out for the stability issues you describe though and back up even more frequently...

I am sorry to hear about the poor experience that danio72 had. It is an Apple only product, which enables it to take full advantage of the OS to offer all kinds of wonderful features that Evernote will probably never have. On the other hand, Evernote is quite rare to be platform agnostic.

I think that DEVONthink's sync is finicky at times (perhaps because it relies on iCloud or Dropbox to sync through the cloud), and I have tried to minimize my reliance on mobile apps with it, so if you are heavily invested in working through a mobile app, you'll want to experiment a lot with your workflow before purchasing a license. In contrast, I don't remember when I last had a problem with syncing Evernote.

As for DEVONthink's OCR, I believe that is done with ABBY, which ought to be the same company doing Evernote's, though my data on Evernote might be out-of-date. I've been OK with the OCR (Japanese/English), but it is helpful to know that it doesn't work well for everyone. Again, Evernote shines here, with OCR of not only PDFs, but images (and handwriting) as well. 

Despite my best efforts to stick with one or the other, I've been using both for about a decade now. My usage varies from time to time, but with Evernote's recent update, I've shifted about 90% of my work to DEVONthink. There are certainly pros and cons, but in the end, I think of the two as apples and oranges, even if they overlap in many ways. They simply do different things with some significant differences in philosophy, priorities, and execution. One example would be security/privacy, which both apps value, but implement in a totally different manner. The encryption is effortless in DEVONthink (everything is encrypted and that's that...searching works, everything is accessible, and you just don't have to think about security, because everything is always secure without effort). 

At this point, I don't have time for shenanigans from any app developer, so it's nothing personal, but if an app is going to try and steal my time it gets deleted. I spend my time elsewhere, even if there are features I miss. Whatever workflow folks pick, I highly recommend thinking about how you are spending your time, and if you find that you ware wasting it or not enjoying it, then move on to something else. If any developers are reading this, I recommend you think of the app like the TV show 24--Jack wouldn't have had even seconds to spare swiping through that irritating reboot of the new app on iOS, running the gauntlet of new feature introductions, and then finally having to figure out the new interface (inexplicably missing some key features). In the fantasy world of 24, it'd always  boot up fast, work immediately, work reliably, have all the features he needs (not added in after the detonation), and help him get stuff done at a frantic pace. If this was the new version 10, we'd all be on board :)

• Like 3
3 hours ago, toao said:

@toaoI'm using DEVONthink (DT) in parallel (for specific business reasons) - DT is great on Mac, poor on iOS.

DT is a super feature rich file storage - to store everything already exists. Evernote (EN) is not only able to store everything but also 'generating' data / information using the editor. DT: On the Mac, you can use .rtf files which give a nice what-you-see-is-what-you-get experience - but those files are not editable on iOS.

To summarize this super complex comparison DT / EN:

• DT is great on Mac (only) - infinite ways to organize files - only a few available on iOS
  • DT is great to store existing data (PDFs, Emails, Websites, etc.) - to create data, e. g. a simple note, it fully relies to OS capabilities, e. g. RTF files
    • since iOS doesn't provide a RTF capability, it's a nightmare to change those files while on the road using iOS devices
  • using DT requires additional 3rd party tools (e. g. image scanning, reminders with working notifications, Office / Text Editor)
  • EN is easy, simple, focused - super editor on both, Mac and iOS - almost identical feature set

There is no better / worse - since I like it a lot to write notes and using iOS full time -> Evernote is my choice.

Not yet... but Forced switch to two accounts, with all the trouble of syncing, and can't log in, syncing just spinning, multiple password resets, inconsistent across devices, etc. over the last two weeks has killed our glowing opinion of Evernote.  Surely they return to normal in a week or so - we've been paying long enough to let them try.  If not, the two account thing and the problems, we can't and won't deal with lost productivity.  We'll switch to notepad on a shared drive rather than deal with all the unexpected unforced errors by their development team.   The forced separation of accounts may force us to move anyway.... not a nice move.  Not sure who or what or why they were trying to impress by messing up a good thing. 

Long time paid Evernote user here. Like many others I use EN for my entire work and personal life. For the first time in I'm not sure how many years Im thinking of switching. Luckily you can still run the old version on desktop and was able to grab the installer for that, but I upgraded my IOS apps and now cant go back without restoring the device to a previous state which I may try to do. I contacted to support to see if there was somewhere that I could downgrade the IOS app but i'm sure thats not available.

How do you take this long do a new version which is worse and removes valuable features? So many companies today fall into this upgrade trap. Usually its because of making too many changes to fast without actually addressing pre existing issues but in this case it was too long for a worse experience.

I never comment on forums but I felt this was warranted because I depend on Evernote everyday and this is such an important app. Im going to look at One Note again because it's included in my plan along with other suggestions in this thread.

I have been doing some research on alternatives, but  I haven't made a decision yet about what I'm going to do.  The one thing that I'm struggling with is migration and data portability.  I have 10+ years of data (my life) in Evernote, and I need to make sure that my data is secure and doesn't stay forever locked into a service that I start to use.  Evernote has a data export function, which other services are leveraging to enable porting Evernote data into their service.   I realize I'm probably an advanced evernote user, and data portability may not be a major concern to many others. I just can't put myself in the situation where my data will be forever stuck in a platform without any practical way of moving my data to another platform.  There's also a difference between data portability and data archiving.  I don't just want to be able to extract my data (data archive), where it's in a format that can be independently read.  What I want is to be able to migrate my data (data portability) so that's organized and editable in a target platform, the same way it was on the originating platform.  

Unfortunately there aren't any data portability standards for this.  Perhaps Evernote's enex format becomes the industry standard.  Since many platforms already support enex from an data import standpoint, maybe they can also support enex for data export .  This would enable portability across platforms.  

Just my two cents.

-Niel

On 10/14/2020 at 8:59 AM, dagbo said:

So far so good for me. I have had zero problems with the new Windows versions, and while I would like the Import Folder, ability to manage Tags as previous, and miss the ability to set Styles and view options for individual views, I'm pretty happy. I still find having to see "Shared With Me" in the left panel annoying - I do not share Evernote files with anyone, and would like to turn that off.

Two weeks later, still really enjoying the new version. I have redownloaded Evernote Legacy as I just could not live without the Folder Import option. While it's slightly annoying having two versions of the app on my PC the Legacy app just lives in the background and does the single job I still need it to do (it probably doubles my required storage space, but I have lots of storage so...)

I have had no crashes, or other stability problems, and for now the missing thing I would really like is the ability to set Reminders to recurring. I use Chronofy Evernote Calendar Connector and it syncs with Outlook. This means that I can have my notes for regular meetings appear in the diary beside the recurring meeting. My work around is to reset the reminder once the meeting is over - so no biggie.

Again, just adding my two cents worth (so that's four cents now!) in support of Evernote and the app's evolution.

• Like 1

I downloaded the Evernote Legacy version as well to get the deprecated and missing features and will keep using that as long as possible.  If they kick out that leg of the table, it may be game over for me. 

In the meantime, I am still looking for alternate solutions and workflows.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, dagbo said:

Two weeks later, still really enjoying the new version. I have redownloaded Evernote Legacy as I just could not live without the Folder Import option. While it's slightly annoying having two versions of the app on my PC the Legacy app just lives in the background and does the single job I still need it to do (it probably doubles my required storage space, but I have lots of storage so...)

I have had no crashes, or other stability problems, and for now the missing thing I would really like is the ability to set Reminders to recurring. I use Chronofy Evernote Calendar Connector and it syncs with Outlook. This means that I can have my notes for regular meetings appear in the diary beside the recurring meeting. My work around is to reset the reminder once the meeting is over - so no biggie.

Again, just adding my two cents worth (so that's four cents now!) in support of Evernote and the app's evolution.

I fully agree, I really like the new version, especially because it is very stable and robust, which is exceptional for a first release. I don't understand what all the fuzz is about but that's probably because I use EN as it was initially intended...

• Like 1

I have been trying lots of apps lately to have a better idea of alternatives. Here is a list that could help someone who is looking to try something else. Those apps could be considered alternatives for some of the usage one might have for Evernote. Most of them won't work for you, but perhaps one of them could.

Joplin

Typora

Obsidian

Notion

Bear

DevonThink

KeepIt

OneNote (Look into OneTastic for extra features)

Simplenote

Raindrop (exclusively for clipping web content)

FSNotes

Nimbus notes

Notejoy

QOwnNotes

Notable

nvAlt

Ulysses mostly for writing, no WYSIWYG editor, pleasant design, Apple ecosystem only

Scrivener : mostly for writing, feature rich

My personal favourites so far are Joplin and Obsidian. I like Typora a lot but it won't automatically delete attachments when unlinked.

Notion is powerful but slower and I hate the fact it's all online. Cannot open and edit an attachment directly with another app.

Bear is nice but Apple only and it doesn't handle tables (!)

DevonThink is great but Apple only.

I'm moving to Notion.

This EN update is just awful. When I look at the screen I cringe and want to weep at the same time.

Why all this padding? It steals space from my screen.

Why can't I use BLACK font so that it's actually visible instead of grey?

Why the shortcuts are removed from the horizontal top? What is this.

This update slaughtered the formatting of my notes.

It feels as if the landlord came over to my house while I was sleeping and redecorated it with a disgusting shade of crushed velvet and put a wallpaper with 'live laugh love' on the walls. And threw away my stuff - because it's his house and he knows best.

I have the pro version paid until July and not planning to renew. I never thought it would come to this.

Fuming.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Benny Wydooghe said:

First release? That's not true. The application was during a long time in PREVIEW, followed by a BETA phase. This was not a first release.

GA release version 10.0

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

GA release version 10.0

So when Apple releases macOS Big Sur in one of the coming weeks, the first GA release, you also expect these kind of issues (losing features, losing data, ...:)? Don't think so.

I've been reviewing alternatives for my use case. EN 10 does not work at all for me and the lack of communication from EN about what direction the app is taking is making me frustrated.

Nimbus, Joplin and Amplenote come closest to match my needs but none can match all. I'm sticking with legacy version for now as premium is already paid for several months, but will keep an active eye on the alternatives.

I have already finished switching. From Evernote to Apple Notes, after temporary staying on Notion. 

Notion can replace Evernote for me, although some adjustments are needed. However, I don't want all of my notes and databases totally online, and I am aware of some security and privacy issues. I also don't want to fall into a trap of designing a beautiful website or dashboard, feeling a sense of control rather than true autonomy after taking notes. I finally deleted the account and tried other apps like Nimbus, Standard Notes, Joplin, Bear...

Joplin is okay for me, but on MacOS it can't work. Will follow their updates and see. Standard Notes are great to have end-to-end encryption, but not sure if it is good for me (need to pay for more functions). Finally came between Bear and Apple Notes.

I like Bear's Markdown but its syntax can't be hid, although they will have a new editor I don't know how long I will have to wait. Apple Notes provides great and fluent sketching with table functions, sync is more reliable than Bear. The only drawback is without export (except PDF not batch), but this function is not a must because there are always notes I no longer need (I finally need less than half of it).

Thus I settle on Apple Notes and until now I am happy with it. They don't have tags but I later realise that they can allow flexibility while creating unnecessary complexity. Notebooks (folders) can be nested without limitation, and you can drag and drop them to move and rearrange as you like. This means I don't need to rename one by one to meet my needs. They don't have inter-links but I think I don't really need them. When I need, usually I just want my notes to be readable like a website.

Apple Notes does not have many functions as Evernote and even Notion. Its simplicity allows me to truly think and figure out something when taking notes so that I will no longer just put everything into it (but of no use after many years) or making a beautiful visual something. Evernote is too messy while Notion is too beautiful. Meanwhile, Apple Notes does a great job of free flow of personal ideas and keeping your notes as easy to be revised.

I have been thinking and experimenting other options like Notion & OneNote for some time. But again and again I come to the conclusion that its not worth shifting. 

I have gone through lots of videos on YouTube about Notion and even attended a course of skill share about starting with Notion. Yes, Notion is full of option to do with it. I have gone through the learning curve and made some test data with its relational data base option. That is really power and useful. People are using that for too many aspects.

But at the end, one thinks how much life I would be managing in there. That is not intuitive at all. You have to learn it and align a workflow for yourself. One can do wonders in there but at the cost of some work and excessive follow-up. 

Everybody is different. And I prefer to use simple and dedicated app for a task that it is meant to build. 

I am using Evernote since 2010. Many features are not part of this release but personally I have no big issue in using Evernote. I am on beta for 5 months now.