EN creating duplicate notes

3 hours ago, molajusi said:

Too-frequent note conflicts (note duplicates), I'm so frustrated.

Same problem!  VERY FRUSTRATNG!!!  Hey Evernote!!!  STOP "Improving" things!  I just want to write a note and have my entry secure and accessible on my Windows laptop and iPhone.  THATS IT!  I don't need it to microwave a bowl of soup because you think that is a work related task (lunch break) YOU believe you need to address!  Nope, I got it, BUT now that you have insisted you need to heat my soup your program will not do THE MOST BASIC task... THE sole reason I use it... which is letting me write and edit a note and synchronize it back and forth between my laptop and iPhone!!!!!!!    THEN, Your fixes consistently make things worse!!!  Evernote worked awesome about a year ago.  The product in general was a 9 of 10.  For like the past 10 months it has CONSISTANTLY gone down hill and is now a 2 of 10!  WHAT IS GOING ON OVER THERE???  YOU have made your product worse and worse as you progressed.  Think of the windshield wiper.  It can not be improved upon!  NOBODY has found a better method to remove water from the windshield of an automobile  AND THAT'S OK AND IT WORKS GREAT!  I don't know what you are doing BUT YOUR Aqua inhibitor hydro forcefield moisture reduction thingy is NOT working!!!  GIVE ME MY WINDSHIELD WIPERS BACK!!!  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Thanks for reporting. Please provide your activity logs so we can take a look. If you can, please provide also some additional information that helps zero in on the issue. 

1. Time and date it happened
2. URL of the note that was duplicated. You can get that by going to Evernote Web, accessing the note and copying and pasting the URL in your response. 
3. How many conflicting copies did you have? @Mirtma65, I see you had 3. 

For logs, please follow these steps: 
1. Open the Evernote app and sync your account.
2. Go to **Help > Show Log Files** from the menu bar.
3. Zip all the files in the directory:
  1. Windows: Select all files > Right Click > Send to > Compressed (Zipped) Folder
4. Attached the zipped file to your DM to me. 

Thanks! 

• Level 5

This problem has been persistently reported in the Web client for many months, in fact in some form for several years:

I am beyond dismayed to think that it has been ported over into the new and disimproved Windows program. Frankly, I was afraid this would happen when I read that the new version is constantly syncing--which of course is what is and always has been associated with note duplication in the Web client. @Nick L., I know you were involved in the discussion linked to above, and gave some solid information there. Please, can you confirm whether this is the same issue with the same cause in the Windows program?

• Like 4
17 hours ago, jimsnyder8 said:

Same problem!  VERY FRUSTRATNG!!!  Hey Evernote!!!  STOP "Improving" things!  I just want to write a note and have my entry secure and accessible on my Windows laptop and iPhone.  THATS IT!  I don't need it to microwave a bowl of soup because you think that is a work related task (lunch break) YOU believe you need to address!  Nope, I got it, BUT now that you have insisted you need to heat my soup your program will not do THE MOST BASIC task... THE sole reason I use it... which is letting me write and edit a note and synchronize it back and forth between my laptop and iPhone!!!!!!!    THEN, Your fixes consistently make things worse!!!  Evernote worked awesome about a year ago.  The product in general was a 9 of 10.  For like the past 10 months it has CONSISTANTLY gone down hill and is now a 2 of 10!  WHAT IS GOING ON OVER THERE???  YOU have made your product worse and worse as you progressed.  Think of the windshield wiper.  It can not be improved upon!  NOBODY has found a better method to remove water from the windshield of an automobile  AND THAT'S OK AND IT WORKS GREAT!  I don't know what you are doing BUT YOUR Aqua inhibitor hydro forcefield moisture reduction thingy is NOT working!!!  GIVE ME MY WINDSHIELD WIPERS BACK!!!  

DM sent.

11 hours ago, Tim Kowal (b) said:

I have noticed when working on notes that Evernote 10 begins making duplicates of the note I am working on. By the time I am done I sometimes have to figure out which of the 2-4 notes is the correct one and Trash the rest.

Same I noticed it too. I edited the title of the note on android and suddenly noticed there were 2 notes one with the old title and the other with the new one.

I have experienced the same. I also had a hard time taking notes.

I informed through the forum. Then EN asked me to send the log file to DM.

I received a reply after sending the log file. EN say "It's likely not going to be available in the next update, but shortly after that."

I'm having the same issue too with the iOS version.  It doesn't happen with all notes, just some notes when I start editing them, and it creates a duplicate, triplicate note.  Then it seems to think that there's a conflict among the notes, "note conflict."  This is a "plain" note, without attachments, no check boxes.  

On 10/15/2020 at 2:23 AM, Shane D. said:

@Tim Kowal (b) @JNester @jeremymaxwell @bhatia.jagjeet@gmail.com

Could you elaborate on the content within the notes that are duplicated?

Do they contain attachments? Do they contains checkboxes or checklist?

Let me know as this will better enable us to determine the cause of the issue.

They had Images in it and some text.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:52 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@Nick L., I know you were involved in the discussion linked to above, and gave some solid information there. Please, can you confirm whether this is the same issue with the same cause in the Windows program?

Thank you for this comment, Dave. I get very frustrated when I report a problem to support, and instead of just responding, "this is a known issue, we are working on it," they ask me for my computer specs and activity logs as if it is a "my system" problem.

These bugs are wasting my time. Evernote, please do not make things worse by asking for more of my time by following your mindless "support" scripts.

@Shane D. I think the main issue atleast in my case is the always sync in Evernote 10 desktop which is on and not available on the android version. This happens especially when both my desktop evernote 10 application is on and I am editing some note on my android device. When I quit my desktop application, I do not get duplicate notes issue. Could you look into this ?

I updated to the new Windows desktop version, this brought my work mostly to a standstill for two days now. And most of my work is organized around Evernote. Now I also have the duplicate notes issue, but combined with another effect which perhaps give you some hint. I was writing in a note and very often it disrupted my writing and jumped to the beginning of the note writing the last characters I had typed there. I had to manually go back to the place where I was writing to continue. This happened a lot, slowing down work considerably. Then when going back to work this morning I saw that Evernote had produced eight versions of the note as a result. Therefore, I have the impression that it has someting to do with syncing during my writing.

But what can I do about this? At the moment I am helping myself by working on another computer where the old version is still installed...

• Like 1

For what it's worth, in previous versions, I found most note errors, including duplication, were related to automatic sync right in the middle of my editing activities.  When I set it to manual sync only, I almost never saw that type of thing.   

I think those who claim the program can be set to work offline might be confusing what preferences does (it seems to simply do a  local backup).

20 hours ago, stephmag said:

I updated to the new Windows desktop version, this brought my work mostly to a standstill for two days now. And most of my work is organized around Evernote. Now I also have the duplicate notes issue, but combined with another effect which perhaps give you some hint. I was writing in a note and very often it disrupted my writing and jumped to the beginning of the note writing the last characters I had typed there. I had to manually go back to the place where I was writing to continue. This happened a lot, slowing down work considerably. Then when going back to work this morning I saw that Evernote had produced eight versions of the note as a result. Therefore, I have the impression that it has someting to do with syncing during my writing.

But what can I do about this? At the moment I am helping myself by working on another computer where the old version is still installed...

This is the exact same issue I have been experiencing on the Mac desktop version (10.1.7). The insertion point jumps to title bar and then a blue message popup appears saying "You have a duplicate note." Very annoying. Not doing any heavy lifting, just typing in a document with text, some images, small sound files and dividers. 

On 10/19/2020 at 4:25 PM, stephmag said:

I just deleted the new version and am back to using the legacy version for now. Here's the link to install it.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JNester said:

I just deleted the new version and am back to using the legacy version for now. Here's the link to install it.

Yep, I think I also will go back, especially because of the topic I discussed in another thread (linked desktop notes only opening in web version). But when Evernote asks "Tell us why you want to go back since this version is the future of Evernote" I am slightly irritated :( I am using EN for ten years now and most of my work is organized around EN.

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2020 at 5:33 PM, Nick L. said:

Attached the zipped file to your DM to me. 

I got this problem, too - and not for the first time - and copied the content of Evernote log dir / zipped it as instructed. 
Where can I send this information too?
Especially what does DM mean? 

I found no no link how to contact Evernote support directly from the Evernote10 application menu

On 11/28/2020 at 11:21 PM, Frey756 said:

I got this problem, too - and not for the first time - and copied the content of Evernote log dir / zipped it as instructed. 
Where can I send this information too?

I found no no link how to contact Evernote support directly from the Evernote10 application menu

You can DM it to me. 

Thanks! 

• Level 5*
On 11/28/2020 at 11:21 PM, Frey756 said:

DM means Direct Message   
If you click on Nick's image, you'll see his home page with an mail icon for sending a DM

144D70C2-E48E-4BD8-AC9B-DCE6E9E7725D.thumb.jpeg.7822221a20d4ebdcf792c2f51fbef22c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

It's still happening with the new Windows V10.22.3

I create a new note and am typing text into it. I start seeing a blue message box with, "We found more than one version of <note title>. You can view the alternate here." I look over to the left pane with the note list and, yep, there are now four versions of my new note each one has a different snapshot of what I was typing. I have to delete the three bogus copies. The note had a title and a bullet list; no tasks, no attachments - just plain text.

This has happened on two different notes out of a couple dozen, or so, new notes since I installed the new client version.

I saw this months ago in a beta test, reported it, and it seemed to be fixed. It's back.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, snew4 said:

I create a new note and am typing text into it. I start seeing a blue message box with, "We found more than one version of <note title>.

This is invariably an issue when a note is open in more than one instance of Evernote.  For example in the Legacy and v10 at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 2:15 PM, snew4 said:

It's still happening with the new Windows V10.22.3

I create a new note and am typing text into it. I start seeing a blue message box with, "We found more than one version of <note title>. You can view the alternate here." I look over to the left pane with the note list and, yep, there are now four versions of my new note each one has a different snapshot of what I was typing. I have to delete the three bogus copies. The note had a title and a bullet list; no tasks, no attachments - just plain text.

This has happened on two different notes out of a couple dozen, or so, new notes since I installed the new client version.

I saw this months ago in a beta test, reported it, and it seemed to be fixed. It's back.

I have exactly the same problem since I updated to V10.22.3 earlier this week. Before this version, I never had this problem. Now it happens very frequently. I mainly use plain text and some bullets or tasks. Nothing special, no attachments.

I was just able to create a note that was duplicated 3 times in about 2 or 3 minutes.  Once 3 iterations are duplicated it stops.  It is easy enough to quickly move them to Trash and then delete them, but annoying for sure.  Hopefully you can get this sorted in the next week or two.

And I will just give my opinion that I am in favour of the constant upgrades and tweaking.  If every once in awhile we have to live with a glitch like this because you are constantly trying to improve the product, I am all for it.

Another victim of the multiple copies issue here - no logical reason - 8 copies of one note today as I was writing it!  Win 10 desktop/personal account.

Have to say I'm getting a bit fed up with Evernote - been using it for about 7 years - the Android interface, and parts of the PC web interface are just NOT WHAT I WANT - Evernote was simple and great, they're now trying to over-egg the thing with bells and whistles that I don't want . . . with upsells on subscription costs just to get rid of the unwanted "features"

• Like 1

Just to let you all know, Nick L. asked to sent a "DM" about this issue.  I did that on Oct. 21st (a week ago) and my inbox is saying that he has not opened my message yet.  

So that sucks.  Not quite sure what is going on.  The problem persists.

Somehow, Evernotes duplicated my notes from a count of approximately 100 notes to more than 26,000 notes.  There should only be about 100 notes, but my notes have been automatically duplicated to the point where Evernotes is useless to me.   TWENTY-SIX THOUSAND NOTES!!

Evernotes only allows you delete 50 notes at a time, and it takes about ten minutes to delete 50 notes.  Accordingly, It would take about 500 iterations of deleting 50 notes at a time to clean this up.  500 iterations times 10 minutes per iteration would be 5,000 minutes or 83.33 hours.  That is the equivalent of two weeks of full time work deleting notes to clean this up with no assurance that my notes will not get automatically duplicated all over again.

Also seeing this on version 10.22.3-mac-ddl-public(2958). 

Has happened with several fairly new and simple documents I have created in the past few days.  Docs are all just text with some a small number of links to external web sites.  One moment there are no dupes, then suddenly I have 3 or 4 copies of the note with popup messages.

Only one copy is current, the others are all nearly current with perhaps different completed parts of the last sentence that was typed.

Just now I put a 3 line entry into the Scratch Pad on the Home Page and it duplicated itself twice in the scratch pad.   So this is getting serious.

I have continued to manually delete, but this is starting to get painful.

I assume Evernote is aware of the problem, but does not have an answer yet, hence the lack of response to this thread.

Evernote - are you out there?  What is going on ?

• Like 1

I've been experiencing the same thing for the past couple of months.  It didn't start right away with the major version change but it has persisted through multiple updates.  I'm currently on v10.24.3 and just use the windows desktop in one place plus the Android client on my phone occasionally.   It happens on average once or twice a day where I'm working on a note (all text including bullet lists) and it spawns off 3 or 4 copies and then stops.   I notice the duplicates in the main window usually a few minutes afterwards.   At this point there will be 3-5 copies of the same note, all saying that they were modified "a few seconds ago".   I just type something in the open window and watch the other notes "age out" and then remove them to trash when this happens.   It's annoying but it hasn't crippled me at all.  I assume it has something to do with the automatic synch going in the background while a note is being actively modified.   Just wanted to point out to support that this has nothing to do with editing a note in two places as I'm only ever working on it on a single windows desktop.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:29 PM, jimsnyder8 said:

Yes, totally agree. STOP improving. All is getting worse. It was good for 10 years or so. 

Here we are, over a year later, and the "duplicate note" issue is still a problem. I got a new Windows 10 computer so I installed the latest version of Evernote 10.24.3. I don't particularly care for the new UI and workflow (e.g. DO NOT ASSUME that, just because I start a new line with a hyphen that I want a bulleted list; this problem is over 2 years old on Android, and now it's in Windows as well). I can adjust. BUT, when the application creates duplicate and conflicting copies of notes that contain nothing more than plain text, it makes the application unusable!

I've been a paid subscriber since October 28th, 2011 and things seem to keep getting worse for Android and Windows users. Evernote, if you really only want to support Mac and iOS, fine, but be honest about it!

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, dstringvc said:

Here we are, over a year later, and the "duplicate note" issue is still a problem.

Ironically I killed your duplicate post here - please don't post twice on the same topic.  You don't mention what caused your concerns,  but because of the way in which Evernote syncs to a central point from all connected devices,  there are limits on what Evernote can do to avoid duplications.  Having the app open on more than one device / network connection issues / working for long periods on a long note all have a part to play,  and the only way to minimise disruption is to take as many local steps as possible - and then raise the matter with Evernote support if you still find that things are out of hand.  It's not like Evernote are ignoring the issue,  but they need input from individual activity logs to analyse the causes and -maybe- work towards a better solution...

• Thanks 2

Thank you for the update. I apologize for the duplicate posting. I did, in fact, include a description of my experiences. To recap, "when the application creates duplicate and conflicting copies of notes that contain nothing more than plain text, it makes the application unusable".

I have experienced this issue 3 times in the last 5 days since I installed version 10.24.3 on a newly provisioned Windows 10 computer. I only had the application running on that computer (my Android phone and tablet were powered off). While editing a simple and short note, I received an in-application notice that additional copies of the note were found. I checked the note list and confirmed there were 3 additional copies of the note, 2 with conflicting changes. The note is only 20 lines long and contains nothing but plain text. There are no embedded pictures, attached files, etc.

The last time I attempted to speak to support was 2 years ago regarding the issue where, on Android, starting a new line in a note with a hyphen and the app decides I want a bulleted list. The result was basically, "yes, we're aware of it but have other priorities at this time". I was left with the feeling that user experiences and problems just aren't that important to the dev team. Hence, I've just put up with the idiosyncrasies on Android and Windows. In the mean time, I hear from friends and co-workers how great Evernote is on MacOS and iOS.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, dstringvc said:

I was left with the feeling that user experiences and problems just aren't that important to the dev team.

I don't think that's accurate,  but regardless:  if Evernote don't have the chance to look into individual cases,  they can't magically provide a fix - the best way to get direct feedback and put things on their radar is to raise a support ticket.  Even if they only respond "we're aware" it means they're likely to do something about it at some stage - though their resources are finite.  They probably already have work scheduled for at least 12  months ahead,  so fixes aren't going to come soon! 

• Level 5

As a user of Mac and iOS I would rather say - yes, not bad. Probably it is simply much easier to set it up on a platform where the devices and the OS follow a unified setup. Even when the apps are today very close and identical featurewise, it probably makes a massive difference to have all devices running the same OS, delivered by the same maker. With Windows you have a problem with different hardware and missing updates for drivers, and with Android …

2 years ago EN had internally already stopped all development of the existing apps. They had the dev team working on v10, the legacy apps just got enough attention to keep them running. A support eventually can’t tell this to customers, but they knew on such a minor, not critical issue like the one you described nobody would even consider to start working.

This has changed with v10 - EN delivers a new version every 3 weeks on average, which makes them much more responsive than ever. If a relevant bug is reported today, and is not too difficult to code, it will be fixed in the second or third update from now. I know, I saw bugs reported by myself (and I am sure by other users in parallel) fixed on such a schedule. 

Pretty good overall, and a reason to try support to get things improved and issues solved.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I have the same issue in EN version 10.28.3-win-ddl-public (3151)

Editor: v138.1.17456
Service: v1.45.0. 

This seems to be happening quite frequently this week. Never faced this issue earlier. Causing a lot of confusion on which is the correct note and so on.

image.png.2353481540dd27d49f723bae4bfba4dc.png

• 9 months later...

Is 2022 and I'm still having this problem. Doesn't matter what computer I'm using, after working in a note for a while it starts duplicating it. I have to close Evernote ASAP or it doesn't stop creating copies. The only solution is using the legacy app. But that doesn't has all the color highlights. If it's not solved in before january, I'm ditching Evernote.

• Level 5*
On 11/8/2022 at 1:47 AM, dansuarmar said:

If it's not solved in before january, I'm ditching Evernote.

Hi.  This Forum is mainly user-to-user and this issue isn't affecting everyone - I suggest you report this to Evernote Support if you want them to fix something.  The company are working on the network at the present which project might help resolve this.

• Like 1