Restore Manual Sync/Sync Button

silvershower
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

18 replies to this idea

• Administrator
  • Solution

I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the request.

You can find the Windows equivalent here:

• Thanks 1

It appears that the new version of EN no longer has a force sync button or any obvious way for us to manually apply a server sync. I do see the 'All changes saved' status in the lower right-hand corner of the note window, but I'd like to know if this functionality is gone forever now.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, FunkyPlaid said:

It appears that the new version of EN no longer has a force sync button or any obvious way for us to manually apply a server sync. I do see the 'All changes saved' status in the lower right-hand corner of the note window, but I'd like to know if this functionality is gone forever now.

Out of curiosity - if the new Evernote app keeps everything in sync in real-time, why do you need the manual sync button?

I've been trained from many years of Evernote use to click the manual "Sync" button - so it is weird not to have it anymore - but after thinking about it some more, I realized I should never have had to build the habit of triggering sync myself (it should just happen in real-time without intervention, which it looks like it now does).

6 hours ago, xmasmoneky said:

Out of curiosity - if the new Evernote app keeps everything in sync in real-time, why do you need the manual sync button?

For me it's about two things: full control and visual information. Considering that EN is intended to sync multiple platforms and devices all at the same time, I want to know that syncing is in-process and when, and also when it's not working and when. I'd also like the ability to manually push information instantaneously instead of waiting for intermittent automatic syncs that I can't affect or set. This is present in the iOS and iPadOS versions of the app, so I find it strange that it's not also an option in the MacOS version.

• Like 1
On 10/13/2020 at 11:26 AM, xmasmoneky said:

I've been trained from many years of Evernote use to click the manual "Sync" button - so it is weird not to have it anymore - but after thinking about it some more, I realized I should never have had to build the habit of triggering sync myself (it should just happen in real-time without intervention, which it looks like it now does).

That would be great if it actually did sync in real-time...however that's not happening on my Windows versions.  I have had it go over an hour without sync'ing...this is a mess for me.  I've taken to quitting the app and restarting to force a sync.

On 10/13/2020 at 12:26 PM, xmasmoneky said:

It's the same reason why Android has a sync button for all of the accounts on a device.  Of course you can setup your auto sync settings but in a jam if you need that visual its a time saver for the user.  Oh well, typical engineer move... I should be grateful.  Shame on me... 

This will probably cut their bandwidth and processing by about half.  I should have seen this coming actually.   

I get very delayed synch, and so i miss the manual snc button even more!! I get very many conflicting copies of a note. I read somewhere that iOS 14 causes problems But that of course has nothing to do with the sync button.

• Level 5*

There are probably others posts on this but I didn't stumble across them.  I'm using v10.3.7 on a Mac and created a note with an attached PDF.  I see the "all changes saved" message and everything looks ok.  I tried viewing this note on another system to add some comments and find that it never sync'd.  I created another test note on the Mac and confirmed that sync stopped.  I then deleted the note with the PDF to see if syncing will start again and it doesn't. 

Other than I just so happened to check on another system, there is NO indication that the note sync failed or that the Mac syncing is now stuck.  I will likely need to reinstall to get it working again.   🤬

We REALLY need a sync button with success or fail indication!

Same problem here. I desperately want the sync button back!

I just updated a note (No1) on my desktop mac (where Evernote said "All changes saved"), changed to another note (to avoid any conflicts), added some pix via iPhone app to said note (No1), synced by pulling down and boooom, there comes the conflicting note message as soon as I am back on my mac. I get an alert saying "click here to view", which I try to click multiple times, but nothing happens. Two minutes later I see something has happened, I now have 12 identical notes of the original note (No1)! 

I've been a premium user for many years, but the quality of your app is really going downhill. I need a reliable service and will start to look for alternatives, if this isn't solved quickly. I spend more time fixing such hiccups than actually using your app. Besides I cannot understand, why - after 8 years and literally hundreds of requests for selectable picture for note previews - there is still no solution. Besides, none of my feedback requests has been answered. This is not acceptable. 

Same problem here. I desperately want the sync button back!

I would like to say more but I am writting from France and I am not sure that everybody will understand me correctly. 

I want this button back because I work a lot simultaneasly on my phone and my mac. And sometimes I need to push the synchronization. 

I have used the new version and the synch is not automatic. And if I took the time to look for a way to ask this, it is because it means a lot. 

Thanks

What's even worse is that when it does sync in "real time" it sometimes creates two copies - the one just saved and the one you are adding to. So you get a notification "we found more that one version..."

So now as I add to my gazillion notes, each new note gets one, two, three or more copies. ARG!

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 8.45.50 AM.png

AND if it syncs in the middle of you typing, sometimes it just doesn't keep the last 10-50 characters you typed!

Another reason Evernote developers should consider adding it back - I will scan something via the laptop and then add a photo of something via the phone to the same note, then add text to the laptop version. Then I have MANY copies, none of which have everything I need!

• Level 5
1 hour ago, bonster713 said:

Another reason Evernote developers should consider adding it back - I will scan something via the laptop and then add a photo of something via the phone to the same note, then add text to the laptop version. Then I have MANY copies, none of which have everything I need!

No problem if you do it right:

The notebook will sync permanently, so the new note will appear on all other devices shortly after creation. Make sure you leave the note, this will start the sync.

If now on the phone, open the note, tap into it and click on the blue „+“ button to the left, above the keyboard. Now you have a wealth of options to add content, including camera and camera roll.

Once done and left back to the notes view, the note will sync back. If you want to force it on the phone, drag down the note list a little and let it go. It syncs ...

You can then open it on your laptop to add the text. 

Why is this marked as solved?

I just scanned a document with ScanSnap. It hasn't synced in the last 30 minutes. This is very annoying. I'd like it to sync please... 

It's available in the web, so it's not an issue of ScanSnap not sending to Evernote... 

+1 bring back the SYNC button.  Shows LITTLE understanding of how business users use the app and where it sits within the speed and flow of business.

That said.  Only way to cause a sync AFAICS is to kill the app and restart — force a data save upon log out , and a an automatic update upon restart.  See Preferences.  Tedious and annoying at best.

While the auto save function is appreciated, when using Evernote for pretty much all my important work it is anxiety reducing to not know for sure that something has been saved/synced. That's part of the appeal of the product: to know that everything is safely in the cloud. There is the possibility of closing the app and work not being saved/synced in those 20 second intervals. It would give great peace of mind to be able to click that sync button and know everything is safe and sound. 

+1 for bringing back the sync button back

This is proving to be a massive issue for me. It seems a sync conflict is being created for me about two-thirds of the time that I make an edit from a different device from the previous edit I made. If not two-thirds, it's certainly happening half the time.

I say this with love for Evernote and the product, but this is making me consider leaving the ecosystem entirely. I've been waiting since the app redesign with the assumption that this was such a massive issue that surely it'd be patched quickly, but I'm still encountering it a month later.