Restore Manual Sync/Sync Button

silvershower

Idea

92 replies to this idea

6 hours ago, xmasmoneky said:

Out of curiosity - if the new Evernote app keeps everything in sync in real-time, why do you need the manual sync button?

For me it's about two things: full control and visual information. Considering that EN is intended to sync multiple platforms and devices all at the same time, I want to know that syncing is in-process and when, and also when it's not working and when. I'd also like the ability to manually push information instantaneously instead of waiting for intermittent automatic syncs that I can't affect or set. This is present in the iOS and iPadOS versions of the app, so I find it strange that it's not also an option in the MacOS version.

• Like 7

What's even worse is that when it does sync in "real time" it sometimes creates two copies - the one just saved and the one you are adding to. So you get a notification "we found more that one version..."

So now as I add to my gazillion notes, each new note gets one, two, three or more copies. ARG!

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 8.45.50 AM.png

AND if it syncs in the middle of you typing, sometimes it just doesn't keep the last 10-50 characters you typed!

• Like 7
  • Level 5

No syncing issues either. 

Beside of having or not having issues personally, I think there are enough areas with weak internet, and enough situations a user can be to make a flexible syncing a must.

• Let us assume you sync via mobile connection - then you probably want to reduce your data volume.
  • Let us assume you are traveling by train - the internet will be on an off, sometimes flickering between full speed and creaping by in seconds.
  • Let us assume you live in a village, with acceptable internet during the day, but dreadful at night when everybody tries to watch Netflix.

There are many situations where I just want to switch syncing off, and control myself when data should flow. The current „we care for it“ approach is build for mystic perfect internet, not for what we have in real life.

• Like 1

Another reason Evernote developers should consider adding it back - I will scan something via the laptop and then add a photo of something via the phone to the same note, then add text to the laptop version. Then I have MANY copies, none of which have everything I need!

• Like 1

Why is this marked as solved?

I just scanned a document with ScanSnap. It hasn't synced in the last 30 minutes. This is very annoying. I'd like it to sync please... 

It's available in the web, so it's not an issue of ScanSnap not sending to Evernote... 

• Like 2

Why is this marked solved?

I'm LOOSING information that I capture on my phone and then it just NEVER shows up on the web or desktop versions.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an app that just works? They destroyed this application in the most recent revamp. What's worse? They don't seem to realize or care they destroyed it.

• Like 2

Shane, I see that you have marked this issue as solved, but I don't see the solution.  Am I missing something?

My laptop version still shows that little circle with and arrow sync icon, but my imac version doesn't....

In addition to my own experience there is a significant amount of compelling testimony here to rethink how Evernote does sync...keeping notes is what EVERnote is about...if it doesn't do that perfectly, then what's the point of paying for it?

I know the technology and talent exists to solve this.

• Like 1

👎 on this being a solved issue. Need a sync button so I can be sure my update made it from my phone to the server or from the browser to the server before I update the same note from a different device.

Another vote here for restoring the manual sync button!

From experience and for the tranquility and good operation of the user with Evernote, the synchronization button is essential to avoid later problems that may occur, in addition to that Evernote gives the user the power and tranquility of being the user who can have the synchronization under control (regardless of how well Evernote syncs in the background).

I consider it very evident, without having to give explanations, of the need for this button. I repeat that it is so obvious that no explanations are needed, because the reasons for error are very numerous and varied, and there is nothing better than the user knowing that he is in control. A very basic example: If you use Evernote on Windows and Android at the same time, then you can force the synchronization before making annotations on your mobile, that way you are sure that you will continue writing where you left off in Windows (thanks the synchronize button would have no doubt, and the same when you finish writing and thus be able to continue later in Windows with the peace of mind that everything has been synchronized).

Thanks and best regards.

• Like 1

It appears that the new version of EN no longer has a force sync button or any obvious way for us to manually apply a server sync. I do see the 'All changes saved' status in the lower right-hand corner of the note window, but I'd like to know if this functionality is gone forever now.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, FunkyPlaid said:

It appears that the new version of EN no longer has a force sync button or any obvious way for us to manually apply a server sync. I do see the 'All changes saved' status in the lower right-hand corner of the note window, but I'd like to know if this functionality is gone forever now.

Out of curiosity - if the new Evernote app keeps everything in sync in real-time, why do you need the manual sync button?

I've been trained from many years of Evernote use to click the manual "Sync" button - so it is weird not to have it anymore - but after thinking about it some more, I realized I should never have had to build the habit of triggering sync myself (it should just happen in real-time without intervention, which it looks like it now does).

On 10/13/2020 at 11:26 AM, xmasmoneky said:

I've been trained from many years of Evernote use to click the manual "Sync" button - so it is weird not to have it anymore - but after thinking about it some more, I realized I should never have had to build the habit of triggering sync myself (it should just happen in real-time without intervention, which it looks like it now does).

That would be great if it actually did sync in real-time...however that's not happening on my Windows versions.  I have had it go over an hour without sync'ing...this is a mess for me.  I've taken to quitting the app and restarting to force a sync.

• Like 4
On 10/13/2020 at 12:26 PM, xmasmoneky said:

It's the same reason why Android has a sync button for all of the accounts on a device.  Of course you can setup your auto sync settings but in a jam if you need that visual its a time saver for the user.  Oh well, typical engineer move... I should be grateful.  Shame on me... 

This will probably cut their bandwidth and processing by about half.  I should have seen this coming actually.   

I get very delayed synch, and so i miss the manual snc button even more!! I get very many conflicting copies of a note. I read somewhere that iOS 14 causes problems But that of course has nothing to do with the sync button.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

There are probably others posts on this but I didn't stumble across them.  I'm using v10.3.7 on a Mac and created a note with an attached PDF.  I see the "all changes saved" message and everything looks ok.  I tried viewing this note on another system to add some comments and find that it never sync'd.  I created another test note on the Mac and confirmed that sync stopped.  I then deleted the note with the PDF to see if syncing will start again and it doesn't. 

Other than I just so happened to check on another system, there is NO indication that the note sync failed or that the Mac syncing is now stuck.  I will likely need to reinstall to get it working again.   🤬

We REALLY need a sync button with success or fail indication!

• Like 1

Same problem here. I desperately want the sync button back!

I just updated a note (No1) on my desktop mac (where Evernote said "All changes saved"), changed to another note (to avoid any conflicts), added some pix via iPhone app to said note (No1), synced by pulling down and boooom, there comes the conflicting note message as soon as I am back on my mac. I get an alert saying "click here to view", which I try to click multiple times, but nothing happens. Two minutes later I see something has happened, I now have 12 identical notes of the original note (No1)! 

I've been a premium user for many years, but the quality of your app is really going downhill. I need a reliable service and will start to look for alternatives, if this isn't solved quickly. I spend more time fixing such hiccups than actually using your app. Besides I cannot understand, why - after 8 years and literally hundreds of requests for selectable picture for note previews - there is still no solution. Besides, none of my feedback requests has been answered. This is not acceptable. 

• Like 3

Same problem here. I desperately want the sync button back!

I would like to say more but I am writting from France and I am not sure that everybody will understand me correctly. 

I want this button back because I work a lot simultaneasly on my phone and my mac. And sometimes I need to push the synchronization. 

I have used the new version and the synch is not automatic. And if I took the time to look for a way to ask this, it is because it means a lot. 

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, bonster713 said:

Another reason Evernote developers should consider adding it back - I will scan something via the laptop and then add a photo of something via the phone to the same note, then add text to the laptop version. Then I have MANY copies, none of which have everything I need!

No problem if you do it right:

The notebook will sync permanently, so the new note will appear on all other devices shortly after creation. Make sure you leave the note, this will start the sync.

If now on the phone, open the note, tap into it and click on the blue „+“ button to the left, above the keyboard. Now you have a wealth of options to add content, including camera and camera roll.

Once done and left back to the notes view, the note will sync back. If you want to force it on the phone, drag down the note list a little and let it go. It syncs ...

You can then open it on your laptop to add the text. 

+1 bring back the SYNC button.  Shows LITTLE understanding of how business users use the app and where it sits within the speed and flow of business.

That said.  Only way to cause a sync AFAICS is to kill the app and restart — force a data save upon log out , and a an automatic update upon restart.  See Preferences.  Tedious and annoying at best.

• Like 1

While the auto save function is appreciated, when using Evernote for pretty much all my important work it is anxiety reducing to not know for sure that something has been saved/synced. That's part of the appeal of the product: to know that everything is safely in the cloud. There is the possibility of closing the app and work not being saved/synced in those 20 second intervals. It would give great peace of mind to be able to click that sync button and know everything is safe and sound. 

+1 for bringing back the sync button back

This is proving to be a massive issue for me. It seems a sync conflict is being created for me about two-thirds of the time that I make an edit from a different device from the previous edit I made. If not two-thirds, it's certainly happening half the time.

I say this with love for Evernote and the product, but this is making me consider leaving the ecosystem entirely. I've been waiting since the app redesign with the assumption that this was such a massive issue that surely it'd be patched quickly, but I'm still encountering it a month later.

• Like 1

The "new and improved" automatic synch is NOT an improvement. Upon installing the "latest and greatest" version of EN, I tested out the auto synch feature, only to discover that my concern that the auto synchs would not keep up with my natural pace moving between devices was valid. I edited a note by typing in "this is a test" on the mac/desktop version of EN, WAITED until I saw "saved" in the bottom right corner, then picked up my phone and clicked on the EN icon, only to see that the note where I typed in "this is a test" only had "this is" included ... incomplete synchs are not helpful reassuring. This is a biggest enough concern to me that I closed out the "new and improved" (latest version) of EN and re-installed the legacy version. I have also shared my concern via the EN feedback form. PLEASE EN team, restore the manual synch button AND the manual SAVE feature (that used to be available via file/save.) I am a paying subscriber and this latest update is enough to make me want to make the time to research a different note software.

Another Plus one for bringing back the sync button - I constantly get duplicate notes and it's a pain having to check through two to find the differences, then edit and decide which changes are most relevant to keep, then delete the old note... ... ... Just bring it back please, or, if you're going to have an auto-sync, make it work instantly please! Thanks.

• Like 1

Version 10.5.7 is a miss. Not a hit.

Can't believe I need to reinstall version 6.

Built my note taking strategy and important information storage around Evernote over the past 9 years.

This is not the Evernote that I have come to appreciate.

As someone in the software development field, I'd say this is a case of "jumping the shark".

Not good Evernote.

You are losing an EN evangelist in this shoddy release process. Usually a release from EN is an upgrade. This was just a premature release.

• Like 1
On 10/13/2020 at 12:47 PM, Shane D. said:

I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the request.

You can find the Windows equivalent here:

👎 on this being a solution to this issue. Need a sync button so I can be sure my update made it from my phone to the server or from the browser to the server before I update the same note from a different device.

• Like 2

I've pulled down on the all notes list in the iphone app to get my notes uploaded. I've restarted the desktop app several times and it does not sync with the notes from the iphone app. 

I hope sync speed gets decreased or manual sync is restored soon.

Sadly folks I have reverted to Evernote Legacy. It works with my MacBook and web and iPhone. 
I can’t waste hours and lose my notes using 10.5.x 

being a loyal paying customer for 9+years and an early adopter I was hoping to hear from Evernote on this issue. 
To say this is a disappointment is a major understatement. 
I literally need to reconsider the foundation of my storage and note taking. 
OneNote is no match for Evernote. 
This is a letdown. You are losing an Evernote evangelist. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Why „Sadly“ ?

Legacy is an official client, and nobody needs to force himself into running v10 if it is not up to the job yet.

For some it may never be, then this is sad. Others do run legacy until v10 matured enough, and then switch. IMHO nothing to be sad about this.

Another vote for the manual sync option to be brought back. Currently, I have no idea if my notes are successfully synced or not.

As it is, I have found nothing particularly useful in the last two major updates, and plenty to dislike. I'm seriously considering reverting to an earlier version, crappy bullet lists, tables, and all, until Evernote stops concentrating on 'new and shiny' and starts looking at bugs and user requests. I won't be holding my breath though - 'new and shiny but ignore bugs' has been Evernote's mantra for at least 7 years now.

And if that doesn't change in quick order then I will have to find a new solution.

• Like 1

Given the level of response, I am likely wasting my time. Add me to the list of Power Users who wants to see a MANUAL SYNC Button. That this basic functionality would be removed as an "improvement" is a discussion for another day, but for the love of gawd, just put the damned thing back, since *everyone* appears to want it! Geez.

• Like 4

I also hate this new upgrade, not fond of it at all, it's totally screwed up my user experience.

So now, i'm still working on the older version, which was a lot more user friendly & personally my preference.

Also a premium customer, but won't renew my subscription, as I can pretty much get the same from many other apps such as Todoist etc. 

This is why I got evernote in the first place.

Put back the damn sync button !!!!!!

• Like 1
On 1/4/2021 at 5:36 PM, PinkElephant said:

Why „Sadly“ ?

Legacy is an official client, and nobody needs to force himself into running v10 if it is not up to the job yet.

For some it may never be, then this is sad. Others do run legacy until v10 matured enough, and then switch. IMHO nothing to be sad about this.

"sadly" - 

Have you never been sad to see something good go downhill fast?

Evernote is a great product.The v10 release is a disappointment.

Manual Sync and nearly 100% success synchronizing for almost 10 years made my expectations for Evernote products high.

This roll out is the absolute worst major software rollout I have ever seen by one of my major software products I use.

• Like 2

PLEASE bring back manual sync! Automatic sync does not work well enough; I'm dealing multiple conflicts every week.

I've been a paying customer for several years and I picked up Evernote while working in Silicon Valley. If this terrible redesign keeps up and the issues aren't fixed, I'm dropping the service and suggesting the same to my colleagues.

This may be the weakest link of the 10.xx experience. I've often create a note on my desktop and synch it seconds before I walk out the door of my office to use my phone as speech notes. Doesn't work when they haven't synched So now I'm making last second changes on my phone to be safe and hoping that they eventually synch back to my desktops. 

• Like 1

+1 for bringing back manual sync functionality. I've been using this product for years and rarely had a sync conflict. With the new rewrite, I had them almost every day until I switched to the legacy versions. I can use the legacy version until it is no longer supported/working. After that, I'll regretfully have to drop Evernote if this issue isn't resolved. The inability to sync consistently without issue is a core requirement.

• Like 1

Please please bring the Sync button back!!!

I've been using EN when working with my co-worker, both updating the same note at the same time during our meetings. With a manual button we were able to quickly pass control over the note back and forth. Now we have to sit and wait, sometimes minutes, before we can go on. While my co-worker has been always skeptical about EN, I have been a big EN enthusiast for long time, which is why we use EN for our work in the first place. Now I can't justify it anymore as our productivity has clearly dropped, so I guess we have to stop using EN until the Sync button is back. What a pity - I see so many people angry about the Sync button decision. It could be easy to make everybody happy again. Does EN not care?

I really don't get the point in removing the button/some sort of "everything is fully in sync" indicator.. I agree that making sync invisible and automatic is good, but there are many use cases where knowing that the sync is done is important.

My EN use case is simple: Reference materials. I have just installed a new computer, and I've configured EN... its taken ~3 min to say "All Changes Saved"... considering that I have 3+ GB of data on my account I can't believe that all the notes etc are available - but according to the indicator I could now close the app, take the laptop and be confident that all my data is coming with me...??? Honestly I find that hard to believe :(

We need much more clear indicator of the sync being done

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/15/2020 at 10:27 AM, MikeKTX said:

That would be great if it actually did sync in real-time...however that's not happening on my Windows versions.  I have had it go over an hour without sync'ing...this is a mess for me.  I've taken to quitting the app and restarting to force a sync.

Its not happening on mine either

I'm a long-time Evernote user/subscriber, and the 10.8 rollout (Mac) has been awful. The lack of synching on anything close to a timely basis (at least 45 minutes) is unacceptable. I too have taken to closing and restarting the program. 

It's awful. Genuinely, truly awful. I would change platforms if I knew of a better option. Sorry to be so negative, but really. The developers need to get on this pronto or they're going to find themselves with a bigger problem on their hands than putting back a sync button that should never have been removed in the first place.

Edited by mode1
Clarifying OS
  • Like 2
  • Level 5

Don’t know how you are using it, or if there is a problem with network connectivity.

V10 on my Mac syncs permanently, when changes were made it is synced in the blink of an eye. I even think that this turbo syncing may be the root cause for some problems, like duplication (seems solved by now) and system load / lack of responsiveness (still an issue).

Personally I would like to get a sync button back as well, but I don’t see it as a top priority.

There is no internet connectivity issue on my end, if that's what you're referring to. Waiting for 45 minutes to be able to access/edit notes that were uploaded 45 minutes ago does seem like something that most people would consider a pretty top priority. The program as it currently exists is increasingly unusable. It's a major fail. And again, I generally hate people whinging about stuff, but this is not a trivial flaw. It's not something that is really excusable. Syncing within a reasonable time is not an unreasonable ask - it is fundamental.

• Level 5

My experience: Notes appear within seconds from being created in my v10.8.5 client on the Mac. Be it created in the legacy client installed beside it, be it with one of my iOS devices. I sync on the client where it was created, and it appears really fast in the v10 on the Mac (needs to be open at that moment, of course).

If it takes 45min in your case, I suggest you issue a support ticket, and attach the activity log after trying to make it work on your Mac. Maybe they can check it out and see what stops the syncing in first place.

Thanks for taking the time to reply on great detail. 
my confidence has decreased now that I started losing notes for the first time in 10 years of using Evernote. 
I no longer use the Windows version but I do use the web, iOS and macOS versions. 
I am less concerned about the sync as I am about the preservation of my notes at this point. I have over 11,000 notes so I am concerned that I would not easily notice lost notes at this point. 

• Like 1

I'm a long time Evernote user, I love it.
The Sync has always been a problem, but at least we were allowed to click on the sync button to be sure that the note was synced.

Now you changed this exactly why? I still have sync issues, duplicated notes and more... just add the sync button back guys, it's that simple.

I don't want to switch to another note app for this. This is total nonsense.

On 1/18/2021 at 2:32 PM, Peter Olins said:

I don't observe a problem with automatic sync with mac EN 10.6.9.

Hi Peter,

Which versions of Evernote are you synchronizing with; aside from the macOS version?

On 3/14/2021 at 4:35 PM, Peter Olins said:

Mac EN 10.0.10 (on OS 10.13.6 to 11.2.1) syncs rapidly with iPad OS 10.6.

Hi Peter -

That is good to hear. I use Evernote Legacy on macOS,  evernote.com web client and iOS 10.5.1 on iPhone XR.

Bring back the force synch button! I have many notes on my Mac Pro which have not synched to the cloud (and therefore not available on my other devices). In scanning the forums, there does not appear to be a solution. I can't reinstall the app for fear of losing almost a weeks' work.

• Like 2
On 3/25/2021 at 9:45 AM, GeorgeReedRadio said:

Bring back the force synch button! I have many notes on my Mac Pro which have not synched to the cloud (and therefore not available on my other devices). In scanning the forums, there does not appear to be a solution. I can't reinstall the app for fear of losing almost a weeks' work.

It is amazing to me that the user outcry has not received a meaningful reply...

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, UConnFan said:

It is amazing to me that the user outcry has not received a meaningful reply...

Hi.  Evernote -famously- do NOT usually comment on the reasoning behind their decisions (although I've only been trolling around here for several years... I could be wrong!).  If you're a subscriber and you'd like a direct feedback from Evernote - contact Support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new 

We're still waiting, over six months later, for the return of manual sync. Point-rev updates are far more frequent now which tell me that coding is getting sloppy - but these revs do not solve the issue of non-syncing. Evernote is going to lose a lot of paying clients. The "solution" is a link to another thread, which then posts a "solution" link back to this thread!? I just submitted feedback, FWIW. Good timing: I've got almost a month before my sub auto-renews.

I am very new to posting in forums - but I just started a post on needing the manual sync button back.  I've sent feedback through the app several times.  I'm at my wits' end!  The problem seems to be getting worse and worse. I have duplicate notes all the time. I can't figure out the trick to have that note happen - closing the app on one device before opening the other? Nope. Leaving it open and then not adding anything on the other device all night (to give it time to sync)? Nope. I really can't figure it out.  And, if there was an alternative program/app I'd totally use it.  I've been 100% happy with Evernote since I started using it - and now I'm pulling my hair out.  HELP!

On 10/14/2020 at 3:26 AM, xmasmoneky said:

Because, simply, the Evernote app *doesn't* keep everything in sync automatically.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Where did you create the notes you are talking about ?

Currently the only way I am aware of would be to log out and back in on the Mac. Which is not good, but sometimes help.

I know that EN Support tries to crack this down. If possible it would be good if you contact them, including activity logs from both the device where the notes were created and successfully synced, and the Mac.

It's 2 AM and I just sent an extremely important email. I copied the text of it into Evernote so I could share it with my business partner early tomorrow morning. I want to turn off my computer and go to sleep now, but I have NO IDEA if and when the note will sync. I will have to leave my computer on all night, because I absolutely do not trust your "automatic" sync. In fact, just yesterday, I had to turn on my Macbook to track down a note I wrote 2 weeks ago, a note which hadn't synced. The whole point of Evernote used to be the security, the multiplatform, the manual sync, and the ability to keep notebooks local, and now you've taken it all away. Why don't you take away the stupid and misleading green "SHARE" button instead?  

I feel like I've noticed the sync issue being not quite as bad - *maybe* a little better IF I'm working on my laptop (Dell) and going to my iPhone or iPad (but it's definitely terrible the other way around or between the two Apple devices).  By a tiny bit better, I mean a TEENY TINY bit better.  Maybe it's mis-syncing 5 times a week rather than several times a day.  This might be because I've gotten more careful: I try to refresh each of my devices before I switch devices (read: I'm trying to find workaround and manually sync myself).  But, this workaround is by far not foolproof - note my syncing issues still happen at least every day. 

DEAR EVERNOTE:  YOUR NEW AUTOSYNC SYSTEM IS NOT WORKING AND NOT MAKING USERS HAPPY.  Either give us control over the syncing process or guarantee that the background sync works instantaneously.  Imagine the followin scenariog: You're trying to catch up by typing notes into the Evernote app on your laptop. Someone walks in for a meeting. You close your laptop and pick up your iPad to take notes in Evernote. And you are NOT WORRIED that your work won't be there, because of course it is; Evernote would never put something out there that doesn't do this.

I assume Evernote cannot work like GoogleWorkplace because it's a different kind of application. I assume Evernotecan't work like Apple products because it has to work across platforms. Therefore, I come to the very logical conclusion that Evernoteneeds to make sure that users can ensure their data moves from one device to another by giving them the power to manually sync so we do not have duplicate or lost notes. 

Please do your continued autosync beta testing with a group of willing volunteers and give the rest of us back the manual sync button so we don't go crazy.  I WILL NOT be recommending Evernote to anyone until this is solved.  I don't care how many new bells and whistles you put out.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, Casa14 said:

It's 2 AM and I just sent an extremely important email. I copied the text of it into Evernote so I could share it with my business partner early tomorrow morning. I want to turn off my computer and go to sleep now, but I have NO IDEA if and when the note will sync. I will have to leave my computer on all night, because I absolutely do not trust your "automatic" sync. In fact, just yesterday, I had to turn on my Macbook to track down a note I wrote 2 weeks ago, a note which hadn't synced. The whole point of Evernote used to be the security, the multiplatform, the manual sync, and the ability to keep notebooks local, and now you've taken it all away. Why don't you take away the stupid and misleading green "SHARE" button instead?  

Not a real „go to bed and sleep tight“ post, but usually it says „All changes have successfully been synced“ or something like that (I am not on an English client) at the bottom right position of the EN window. Then it should have synced UP to the server. 

My experience is this (usually) works. Where seems to be larger problems (but not always, just on occasion) is the downsync - from the server to the device. It looks as if the client does not get the message from the server there is something new available.

Translated into your situation it means you check the message bottom right, and can then shut down for the night. What you still can’t be sure about is that your partners get it on their devices when they open them. No, this is not acceptable, I think we agree.

Current workarounds: Because the upsync looks robust,  check for new content on the web client. Or use a mobile client, they have a „sync now“ option in their settings. Both do not replace a real solution !

I found this thread because I'm having problems with newly updated EN crashing.
The first thing it says on the trouble shooting page is 

• Sync Evernote - Make certain your notes are synced before you begin to troubleshoot. Sync your device, then log into Evernote Web and check that your notes appear in your account.

but after several minutes of futile searching, I figured out that forced sync no longer exists.

Please bring it back. How can I troubleshoot and understand what is the sync status of the program? Checking on web or something is clumsy and unreliable. 

• Level 5

It is a bit hidden, but it is there:

1. Hold down the opt key (Mac client), then click on the help menu.
  2. Choose Troubleshooting / Problem solving / whatever it is called in English.
  3. Choose Reload, or even Force Reload from the submenu
  4. You will see the page refreshing, and a circle briefly showing, the sign of syncing traffic

If you have problems with crashes, it often is caused by corrupted local data. You can try this (Mac again):

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Lag out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q)
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 
  • Like 5

Hey Pink Elephant!  This is brilliant!  In English and on a PC,  click Help, then Troubleshooting, the Force Reload.  The shortcut is Ctrl-Shift-R.  I haven't had a chance to see if it really prevents duplicates, but you know I'll be checking this out!

This is especially surprising because I actually did eventually email with a real, live person at Evernote (after emailing my logs to them) who was really empathic and said they knew this was a problem and were working on it.  She never mentioned this little hack!

@PinkElephant's solution is great (thank you), but it's a bit cumbersome. I would really use a "sync now" button (or better, keyboard command). I recently forwarded an email to evernote that I needed to start using immediately, and the only way I could do that was to restart the desktop app. Frustrating. 

As an aside, I barely use the mobile app at all, so mobile solutions are not going to work for me. 

• Level 5

Usually it syncs pretty fast - at least it does for me.

With the email it was probably something else: There is an email server running on the EN server, and any email is routed through several connected servers between your mail client and the EN server somewhere.

This can take a while  - several minutes is not out of the regular bandwidth. A sync button would not help while the email is still in transit.

As an experiment open the EN web client and send an email. Refresh the browser window every other second. The internal time is between the email showing in the web client, and the desktop client. The rest is waiting time until the email shows on the EN server

On 11/25/2020 at 9:47 AM, bonster713 said:

What's even worse is that when it does sync in "real time" it sometimes creates two copies - the one just saved and the one you are adding to. So you get a notification "we found more that one version..."

So now as I add to my gazillion notes, each new note gets one, two, three or more copies. ARG!

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 8.45.50 AM.png

AND if it syncs in the middle of you typing, sometimes it just doesn't keep the last 10-50 characters you typed!

This.  One thousand times this.

This issue of “more than one version” has become a plague for me.  Do you notice that this can happen many times with the same file on the same day?  Even though there doesn’t seem to be any reason outside of “normal usage?”

On 9/27/2021 at 5:45 PM, PinkElephant said:

It is a bit hidden, but it is there:

1. Hold down the opt key (Mac client), then click on the help menu.
  2. Choose Troubleshooting / Problem solving / whatever it is called in English.
  3. Choose Reload, or even Force Reload from the submenu
  4. You will see the page refreshing, and a circle briefly showing, the sign of syncing traffic

If you have problems with crashes, it often is caused by corrupted local data. You can try this (Mac again):

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Lag out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q)
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 

Note sure if there at time of original post, but Reload is CTRL R now in Windows.

Something else to consider if you can't find things because of (what you think is) a sync issue:
I noticed today that if you are using Evernote Legacy Helper for screenshots, etc, but do not have the actual Legacy app open, the notes that were created by EN Legacy won't show up in regular Evernote until Legacy is opened again. I was going crazy re missing notes until I figured this out.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for posting this observation. The helper stores into the local database, which in legacy means it will not sync unless the client was actually opened. It is sometimes difficult to think all consequences ‚til the end.

v10 does not have this problem, the helper is only available when the client is already started.

• Like 1

Can we stop using the term ‘real time’ because sync on Evernote  is about as far from that as is possible to get. One issue is that the ‘sync up’ from iOS is a pain and doesn’t happen straight away. Sometimes you have to fiddle with it for ages to get it to work. Second issue is that ‘sync down’ to macOS doesn’t happen AT ALL until you edit the note which obviously creates a conflict. Clearly it doesn’t check the server periodically for changes or the period is so long it has no effect. The only way I can find around it is to close Evernote on Mac and reopen it when I know I have made a change on the phone. Totally stupid usability. 

• Level 5

Clearly you have a problem - but you think just because you have it anybody needs to have the same problem as well ?

Using EN on a number of iOS devices and 2 Macs, my observations are:

Upsync and downsync on iOS may take a little, usually a few seconds, rarely more than a minute. If in a hurry, I use the sync function in settings. If the sync function does not work, the install is damaged. In this case log out, uninstall, restart the device, reinstall. After logging in it downloads the notes - keep the app open while it happens.

Upsync on Mac is usually happening in a blink. It can take longer if large attachments are added - this is pure physical and can be checked using the tab network in the activity monitor, or a 3rd party tool. The monitoring is for gaining insights, not for the day to day use. Downsync from the server runs in cycles - it may take a minute or two until changes from the server reach the installed client.

If the sync seems stuck, it is likely that the local database is corrupted. It can be replaced by a fresh copy: Uncheck the „Keep a copy of my data when leaving“ in app settings, log out. Quit the app, restart the Mac. Open the app again, log in. It should now download a fresh copy from the server. Since it will download all, including attachments this may take quite some time. Keep the app open, running in the background until the network traffic to EN (here the activity monitor can help) stops. Or uninstall using AppCleaner, restart and reinstall. Same hint for the download time.

Feel free to contact support if in doubt.