[Feature Released in Version 10.10] Save PDF to note

ae6dx

Idea

When I save a PDF in a note it saves.  But if I try to update the PDF it does not save over the PDF in Evernote.  It saves another copy to my computer.  Instead of updating the copy in Evernote.  I have noticed this in version 10.  How do I restore the old way where it saves over the copy in Evernote?

22 replies to this idea

On 10/12/2020 at 4:21 PM, PinkElephant said:

I think saving back to the same Note does not work any longer or at least not now with EN 10. 

The edited version can be saved to a new note.

It still works, but it's not working with Apple Preview because Preview doesn't like where we store attachments. It works with any other PDF Editor. As Shane mentioned, we're looking into it right now but so far we've only seen this issue with Apple Preview. 

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, ae6dx said:

How do I restore the old way where it saves over the copy in Evernote?

You didn't indicate a device/platform; I guessed Mac and moved the discussion to the bug/issues forum

In the meantime, you can install the legacy app version 

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, ae6dx said:

Can I request this be changed back?  Or at least have it as an option?

Lets leave it as an issue until we hear from Support

1 minute ago, ae6dx said:

So you are looking to fix this?  What editor does it work with now?

Yep, we're looking into fixing this but right now we don't have an estimated time as we're rolling out some fixes and features in the next updates. I tested on Adobe Reader and PDF Reader and it worked as expected. 

I was enjoying the new release until I discovered this flaw. My primary use case is sending scientific articles to Evernote for reading, highlighting, and making notes.

Legacy Evernote allows me to open the attached PDF in Acrobat, highlight and comment, then "Save" the revised PDF back to my Evernote note.

Presumably it is a local copy of the PDF that I am opening, editing, and saving.

Evernote 10 allows me to open the PDF in Acrobat, but once I am finished highlighting and commenting on the PDF, there is no option to save the revised version in place in Evernote.

The only option available is to save the edited version locally to my drive -- not back to Evernote. Why would I want to do this?

Wow.  This is a showstopper. How can Evernote function as a document repository If I cannot open documents, edit them, and save them? This is huge.

On the positive side, I like the new search,  and Evernote 10 fixes the PDF renaming bug.

I join the rank of discouraged Evernote users forced to stick with Legacy Evernote until this functionality is restored, or jump ship if it isn't. Never thought I would see the day where I would write something like that. I have been an Evernote evangelist for over a decade and would be heartbroken. I live in Evernote.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Yes, the pdf is exported and editing is done on the local copy   
Saving the edits to the local copy is supposed to trigger an automatic update to the pdf in Evernote

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, PeteHarris said:

I have reinstalled from website and still does not allow Preview editing without file duplication.

Is there a new fix?

See above - this is a known issue and is being followed up

On 10/13/2020 at 8:52 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I can confirm that this is a known issue we're working to address.

I'll follow-up here once I have an update/more information.

It is the same on windows version. It's a real bummer, hope this is solved soon. 

On 10/14/2020 at 2:03 AM, Nick L. said:

It still works, but it's not working with Apple Preview because Preview doesn't like where we store attachments. It works with any other PDF Editor. As Shane mentioned, we're looking into it right now but so far we've only seen this issue with Apple Preview. 

@Nick L.PDF Pen Pro also doesn‘t like where EN stores attachments - cannot update PDFs.

Hi, any updates on this? I, too, live in Evernotes PDF highlight / annotate and re-save function on the iPad, and this update has completely stalled my workflow :-(.

As an additional question, will you bring back the ability to zoom in and move around within a PDF one is annotating in Evernote (such as a scanned book page with small type, which I have a lot of), using the "four arrow" tool that used to be in the iPad app as a choice among annotation functions (it was in the list along with highlight, type, arrow, etc.). 

Right now, trying to move and zoom in while reading a PDF one is annotating, like I used to be able to do by double-tapping my apple pencil to toggle between the move tool and highlight tool, just leaves highlights all over the page. If I am missing something, please let me know! If there is another tool I can do this in and easily re-save to Evernote, please let me know that too. Thank you to the Evernote team for replying to these questions. 

• Thanks 1

Another problem I've noticed on Version 10.3.7 on Catalina:

Upon annotating a PDF document, Evernote isn't generating the annotation summary. I realized this after making notes in a 100 page PDF document 😞

If I go back to the legacy version, will that generate a summary now? Or do I have to summarize my notes by hand?

• Sad 1

On 10/13/2020 at 5:03 PM, Nick L. said:

I had to uninstall version 10 and revert back to Evernote Legacy because not being able to open PDFs in Mac Preview, edit them, then save them back into the original note is a complete show stopper for me. I hope that this issue will be fixed soon. I am using Mac OS 10.15.7.

My understanding is that the Apple Preview application will not edit PDFs stored in ~/Library so I attempted to move the Evernote folder out of ~Library/Application Support and create a symlink but this was not successful.

Please help!

This is not working in Win10 using EN ver: 6.25.1.9091 (309091) 

When I open the file (pdf or excel, etc) in the appropriate editor - it opens a file with a added [1] to the end of the name. e.g. myfilename[1].pdf

So, when I try to save it after editing, it doesn't update in EN

Even sometimes when I attempt to 'save as' ... with the original file name under databases/attachments (where I added the file into EN) - it still doesn't update.

This is a real pain... please advise.

在 2020/10/14 在 AM8點24分, Nick L.說:

Yep, we're looking into fixing this but right now we don't have an estimated time as we're rolling out some fixes and features in the next updates. I tested on Adobe Reader and PDF Reader and it worked as expected. 

Can make EN choose which software to open attachment like the previous versions?  this was lost in EN 10