[Feature Released in Version 10.16] Restore Import Folders

SalmanPak

Idea

Yes - thank you for reminding us that we can still use the old Evernote....and yes it works. But we (us users) would still like to see this feature implemented into the 'new' Evernote. 

If you (developers) could give us some idea of your time frame for this feature as it stands on your priority list, that would be very helpful. 

Thank you for your attention,

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Check the latest release notes, v10.10. Import folders are still in the „soon to be released“ section, and I think this is as much information as we will  ever get before it is actually released.

Import folders are immediately available if you need them now - just install the legacy client.

• Level 5

If I were on the EN side, I won‘t publish anything either.

This discussion only shows where it leads.

Instead of unfinished stuff at an announced date, I prefer working, tested software at release, whenever this may be. Maybe EN has learned this lesson the last months - hope they did.

I find so-called "upgrades" are increasingly worse than the legacy system.  We're on the fence about continuing our evernote subscription. Forcing the separation of personal and business accounts (clearly your firm does not understand how small businesses work) and now you remove import folder from the new version.  What the heck?  This was an extremely useful feature and now you've created even more work for us.  Do you actually want people to use Evernote??   

disappointed that feature, which (in my experience) worked flawlessly, and was one that separated EN from other similar apps, was removed with the "New and Improved EN for Windows"  -- and the only way to get it back is to move back to the "Old EN" = "Legacy" = "EN that worked the way we users wanted it to work"

New EN is now, about 10 updates into New EN, and this is still not addressed.  Makes me think it will not be 

As an aside why have a help file that talks about "Create import folders in Evernote for Windows" which really means "gotcha", "just kidding", the functionality that the help files discusses does not REALLY work

15 hours ago, StumpJumper said:

One of the most important feature of Evernote!  How can I get this back?  Can I downgrade to a version that has it?  

There is a legacy Version, which can be installed paralell to the new one. 

Same to me, import, I use daily 

15 hours ago, StumpJumper said:

One of the most important feature of Evernote!  How can I get this back?  Can I downgrade to a version that has it?  

Install the Evernote Legacy app

The Evernote Legacy app can be installed side-by-side with the new Evernote app, and is denoted by a gray Evernote icon.

Evernote Legacy app icon (gray)

To install the app:

1. Click one of the following links to download the Evernote Legacy installer: Mac | Windows
  2. Open the downloaded file to begin the installation

This is a feature I used regularly and relied on for my productivity.  I used it mostly, but not exclusively, to scan documents and save them in Evernote. Scan went to folder, folder went to Evernote, seamlessly.  I also used it to drop files into the folder that I needed to save or back up.  

PLEASE restore this feature.   

I have just downloaded and installed the legacy version in order to keep using this feature, but would prefer it be on the latest version of Evernote. 

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, N8 said:

Wish I would have been aware of this prior to installing the new version. . . .

When will the folder import functionality return?

Hi.  As soon as you install Legacy (see posts above yours) or when Evernote re-include it... 'soon'...

I carefully watched all the videos, and read the blogs.  Excited about the New Evernote.

Then I discovered import folders was not implemented.  Inexplicable.  And that was 6 months ago!

I have been waiting since. I recently read updated blogs.  Same hype-like stuff about wonderful features.  I did not know I was being hyped at first, but now the whole project is cheapened because the performance just does not match the hype, ESPECIALLY THE INABILITY TO RESTORE IMPORT FOLDERS, which seems to be a major issue for many power users, certainly including me, who has used Evernote since 2015, use it daily, and have more than 10000 notes.

Sure I can (and do) use the legacy version.  But then all the fancy hype about all the great new features makes me feel cheated.  And that is how I feel.  Cheated.

WHEN

WILL

IMPORT FOLDERS

BE

RESTORED???

• Like 1

So, yet another update to Evernote today - but import folders are shown as 'coming soon'.

Can someone at the company please give their definition of 'SOON' ? A lot of your users are getting sick and tired of waiting for something which should have already been functioning when the  so-called "upgrade" of Evernote was first released.

• Like 1

How, exactly, was I supposed to know that an "upgrade" - performed fairly automatically - would remove such an important feature?

What else have you "upgraded" for me that I haven't noticed yet?

Let's get real - this is a ***** behavior for a software company / software team to pull on users. Not only do your users deserve the functionality back, we deserve an apology.

BTW - I know it is meant well, but "install the legacy client" is a pretty lame workaround.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, CMSols said:

How, exactly, was I supposed to know that an "upgrade" ...

It's a good idea to understand the changes before you instal upgraded software on you devices   
Import folder is also important for me

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 hours ago, DTLow said:

It's a good idea to understand the changes before you instal upgraded software on you devices   
Import folder is also important for me

True in most cases.  Didn't quite work that way for the IOS releases, just sayin'

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

True in most cases.  Didn't quite work that way for the IOS releases, just sayin'

Evernote Import Folders are a Windows thing, currently missing in the Version 10 product but we've been told implementation is pending.  This is also planned for the Mac platform, which will be new    
For IOS, we import via the Share feature - it's functional in Version 10

In regards to installing software upgrades on the IOS platform    
We need to be extra careful because downgrading isn't supported

On 3/24/2021 at 1:27 AM, PinkElephant said:

Check the latest release notes, v10.10. Import folders are still in the „soon to be released“ section, and I think this is as much information as we will  ever get before it is actually released.

Import folders are immediately available if you need them now - just install the legacy client.

But please understand your angry customer. 
You bring a new version and this miss essential features. Why ? 

No excuse, no time horizont, except ... Soon. (now 4 month gone) 

I do not use the new one, because only the legacy has import folder. 

• Level 5

You have lost nothing compared to the situation 1 year ago. You can still run on legacy if you choose to do so.

It is the new „agile“ way of developing software (if good or bad) to release new apps with core functions only, and add new features step by step. It is clearly work in progress, with some strong features, others that need retouching and some missing. 

So stick with legacy if you don’t like the alternative. I use both in parallel.

• Like 1
On 5/27/2021 at 6:24 PM, PinkElephant said:

What is your problem ?

Being asked at all, or having received a questionnaire that for whatever reason seems to be a bit buggy ?

Sh**** happens, y‘ know !

I am not Dan C, but from I can tell it was the combination of being asked for his opinion, being taken to a bum survey and then not being able to reply to the email itself because the reply address wasn't valid.  So, in this case anyways, the Evernote team is trying to say "we care," but their actions are saying they don't.

I am not making a comment on v10, just on the ineffective communication that Dan C experienced.

Over 6 month and the feature has not been restored. Means: I have not extended my Premium Subscription! Also actively looking for alternatives.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, ixi said:

Over 6 month and the feature has not been restored. Means: I have not extended my Premium Subscription! Also actively looking for alternatives.

Import Folders are still "coming soon".  But I'm sure your withholding your subscription will force the developers to realise that they have to get their act together and deliver the feature....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/27/2021 at 6:24 PM, PinkElephant said:

What is your problem ?

Being asked at all, or having received a questionnaire that for whatever reason seems to be a bit buggy ?

Sh**** happens, y‘ know !

Hi there, Pink,

I am not a prolific poster in this forum...for over ten years I've paid for license and support, built workflows that depended on EN function, and got my work done.  I'm trying to understand how the disruptive approach EN has taken is my problem...but I can tell you what my issue (or issues) is/are:

I quietly have been working with both the new and legacy versions in the belief that most of it would come back together in a reasonable period of time, it is very inconvenient, but I was willing to go along with it.  When the survey request came to my email, I was initially impressed, and willing to give feedback.  However, no matter what EN's intentions really were, it proved impossible to give them what they asked for.   And the experience of trying to take their survey reminded me so much of the way  EN has tried to deliver releases the last few years...well-intentioned, but not very competent execution.

I only posted this experience in the hope that someone from EN would see it in time to save the company from going under as more and more of us turn away from EN in frustrated, repeated disappointments.

"Sh**** happens" may have cut it two years ago, but not any more.

• Level 5

OK, that answers my question.

Usually the coding and the questionnaires are not done by the same departments - many questionnaires are even run by external service providers, because they have the tools, and they can help management to understand the results. So I would not draw conclusions from the one to the other.

Nobody outside of EN can really judge how things are going. I assume it can’t be that bad, because I see more of v10 coming our way (just look at the release of today, with a task manager as a completely new feature). We may assume it was all good in the good old days, but was it ? I am sure v10 made the user base rattle and shake, but it does not look as if anything went out of control. Just the opposite - can you remember in the long time you have been with EN to see a string of monthly releases, now going on for 9 month in a row ?

IMHO v10 is here to stay. There will be legacy around for a while, to soothe over those with deep workflows, but only v10 will continue to evolve and gain new features. There are probably some old ones that will return, but the general course is not to convert v10 into a virtual twin of the old clients. This means there will be features „lost in translation“.

Any user, especially those who pay to use all features needs to decide about to stay, to test alternatives or to leave.

Hey please please please get the import folders working again. That's a HUGE part of what I need Evernote for. Honestly I don't care about the new Tasks feature. But I've got to get the import folders going again, or I'll have to start using a different program/app. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
23 hours ago, Pastor Steve said:

Hey please please please get the import folders working again. That's a HUGE part of what I need Evernote for. Honestly I don't care about the new Tasks feature. But I've got to get the import folders going again, or I'll have to start using a different program/app. Thanks!

Untilo Import Folders returns, you can install the legacy application alongside Evernote version 10. They work happily together and the Import Folders will keep on running for you.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 6/17/2021 at 9:15 PM, Pastor Steve said:

I've got to get the import folders going again

Hi - I'm still in a time-loop using the 'classic' Evernote versions on Windows and Android,  and Import folders are working fine for us over here...

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi - I'm still in a time-loop using the 'classic' Evernote versions on Windows and Android,  and Import folders are working fine for us over here...

Yes, I do the same, using the classic version.

But it makes no sense, to build a new version with nice new features,
which I can only use, when I run the old version as well.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Prinz Bernhard said:

But it makes no sense,

It must make sense to Evernote - maybe they're developing something internally,  or they're waiting for one or other of the OS owners to make it possible to integrate this feature across all operating systems.  It was,  after all,  a 'Windows only' feature originally.  Either way it is what it is:  I had my system set up satisfactorily in the Classic app,  so I'm just ignoring the new features until I can move over.  Tasks is a temptation though...

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Prinz Bernhard said:

But it makes no sense, to build a new version with nice new features,
which I can only use, when I run the old version as well.

It's a fact that Evernote is replacing Evernote Legacy with a new product   
We have to accept that

The "early access" rollout is a concern    
We have access to the v10 product before the initial work is completed   

Personally, I'm still using the Legacy product    
It makes sense that I won"t switch until my critical features are implemented to the new product

• Like 1

Hello everyone---

Reaching out here in this thread to note that we’ve released a new version of Evernote (10.16) that contains the import folder feature. It’s located in a slightly new location on Windows --under “Tools > Preferences”, where it used to be located directly under the Tools menu.

This version of import folder closely aligns with how the Windows version used to work, with some enhancements to both import logic (we have a few more protections in place for accidentally importing partially created files, that kind of thing) as well as additional UI that will indicate if you’re about to import a lot of files at once that could eat through a potentially limited upload limit. We’ve also made some improvements to notifications--grouping notifications for larger imports, as well as transparently notifying when we are creating a new note after you edit a retained file.

A note on “remove at import”

There’s one option that is still in progress here, and that’s the “Remove file” option after import. This option allowed files to be automatically removed after they were imported. We intend to reintroduce after working through some changes on the backend to properly support the option, and opted to get the feature into your hands without so you can begin working with it.

A note on using import folders on Evernote 10 and Evernote Legacy

If both Evernote Legacy and Evernote 10 are pointed to import from the same folder, both will attempt to import the file. In most cases, this will set up a race condition between both versions, with one application importing before the other one. Since they are built using similar logic, only one file should be imported. You will know which is successful because the notifications for Evernote Legacy Windows and Evernote 10 are different. If you are pointing to the same Evernote account, the file will eventually end up in your account either way.

In general, we don’t recommend that both are run side by side. Ideally, any import folders that are previously set up on Evernote Legacy should be removed and re-added on Evernote 10.

This is our initial release supporting import folder and have some ideas on where we could take it in the future. Please let us know what you think--particularly if you run into any issues setting up your new import folders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1