Third party PDF editors

Now that Evernote has shattered our hopes that they would deliver something better for PDF annotation in Evernote for iPadOS, I would like to ask the community whether someone has found a third party PDF editor that integrates well with Evernote. I use GoodNotes, but I didn't use it for minor annotations/highlights, since it is quite a hassle to export from Evernote to GoodNotes and back. But now that Evernote finished destroying an already disappointing PDF annotation capability (and handwritten note taking, by the way), I really need to find something that works in a more integrated way. I tried (even bought) NoteShelf, which was supposed to integrate well, but I didn't find the overall solution very good.

Can anyone help, from Evernote or the community?

Otherwise, I will be forced to try other alternatives to Evernote. Any advice there? I tried Microsoft OneNote, which is awful, doesn't even have a good tagging solution, though their PDF annotation and handwritten note capability is much superior to Evernote. (guys, how shameful it must be to be worse than Microsoft? How can you look at yourselves at the mirror???)

My conclusion so far is that Evernote is a big fail in PDF annotation and handwritten note taking, but it (still) has no decent competitors as a note repository and organization tool. Am I right? Or can someone point me to a better solution?

Thank you!

Andre

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
26 minutes ago, amteixeira said:

My conclusion so far is that Evernote is a big fail in PDF annotation and handwritten note taking,

I always found Evernote's annotation  and handwriting features to be quite basic     
On a Mac, I use the Preview app for basic annotation
I use the Notability app on an iPad; I don't need a dedicated PDF editor   
No integration; I just use the share menu

>>no decent competitors as a note repository and organization tool.

Agreed

• Level 5

My choice is PDF Expert by readdle. It works nicely on my iPad Pro, and there is a Mac client as well.

It is a full pdf editor, which means one can not only annotate or sign a pdf, it lets you really edit the content. Very powerful, not for free.

When you have the pdf open in view mode in the EN app, you simply click on share, select PDF Expert from the list of apps. The pdf opens there, you do your work on it an close it.

From here I am not sure, but don’t have the time to test it all at the moment. What works for sure is to select share, select EN and have it written back into a new note. What used to work (but I am not sure about EN 10) was to close it, and the changes were written back automatically. I will give it another try, maybe later.

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

I always found Evernote's annotation  and handwriting features to be quite basic     
On a Mac, I use the Preview app for basic annotation
I use the Notability app on an iPad; I don't need a dedicated PDF editor   
No integration; I just use the share menu

>>no decent competitors as a note repository and organization tool.

Agreed

Thank you!

Any opinions on Notion? I downloaded it, will take a better look, but it doesn't feel like a good substitute. Too much focus on task management, tags implementation doesn't seem right, couldn't even find handwritten note taking functionality

• 1 month later...