Change create date

HSM

Idea

11 replies to this idea

22 hours ago, gazumped said:

then the sensible (i.e. faster and more accurate) option is to add a date as a tag or a title.  Even in Legacy changing a document date requires some messing around.

This version of the topic has a few interested parties, but there are other related topics with additional requesters. Still the number of users is small. 😞

The Creation Date should be the date the document was created NOT the date it was loaded in Evernote. Example: I cataloging documents from my grandfather originally created in 1930s~1980s. The “correct date” is when they were physically created not 2020s when I get them scanned into EN.

It is very easy to adjust the date in Legacy version (Cmd i or Cmd Shift i - I forget because it is habit).  I guess if it was never an option I would have adopted and alternate method, but it was and I did.

I disagree with using Tags; 1) because the software has natively the date field just removed the ability to edit it, 2) each document has a different create date - would intend up with thousands of date-specific tags? I have not interest is Tagging to a year and everything being out-of-order in that year. 3) Using a Title or Tag requires special sorting vs the default. While possible, now I’m working around a different standard system behavior.

I could use the last Updated Date, however it automatically updates when touched so when I’m adding notes, names of people in photographs, etc. I’d have to remember to reset the Updated Date and remember the documents original date.

So I will remain on Legacy until either EN REenables editing Creation Date, I learn an acceptable alternative, or I move my content elsewhere.

*** Post entered from a mobile phone prone to typos, abbreviations, and substitutions. ***

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, HSM said:

Please give us the possibility to change the create date also in the iOS-Version. I‘m a iPad-only-user. And i need this feature on the iPad very urgently.

Not clear on your "urgent" use case    
My requirement is to store subject date
As per @gazumped, I prefix all my note titles with subject date

Usually I name notes the way you describe. But I have also thousands of notes, which I have to sort alternately by title AND date. And these notes have an other title. The title concerns content aspects, the date concerns an event date. This is a kind of multidimensional search.

I am curious if EN is even entertaining the ability to edit UPDATED date field?

As to the suggestion in other threads to use another field or tags to replace our use of the CREATE and UPDATE date fields - Don't use date fields for dates?! I could begrudgingly accept this suggestion if there were extra date fields that could be repurposed AND we could tell the entire EN user interface to stop sorting by those system date fields and use these other date fields.

To add insult to injury the mouse-click interface is horrible user experience for the reasons already stated - having to take your hands off the keyboard to hunt-n-peck with a mouse is contrary to efficiency and pleasant UX.

It is not like users change the date by a couple days.  Like many others, I load volumes of historical documents that I want dated to their original creation often decades ago.

I ask EN's position because I suspect they have a visceral opposition to allowing us to edit the CREATE date. That they are absolutely opposed to allowing users to self define how they populate those fields.

Unfortunately for me this is a absolute requirement. I won't be upgrading for the Legacy version until I'm able to edit the  UPDATED date field.

Edited by Mr. GROWF
Emphasize the editing UPDATED field.
  • Level 5*
On 10/27/2021 at 11:53 PM, Mr. GROWF said:

I ask EN's position because I suspect they have a visceral opposition to allowing us to edit the CREATE date

Hi.  I have a similar requirement to date notes to the creation date of a document rather than the sometimes much later date of the note itself.  I'm also using Legacy because v10 isn't yet ticking all the boxes I'd need to use it full time. 

I don't however change the created date of my notes.  That's a detailed enough process in Legacy that I find dealing with more than a couple of documents to be a trial.  I simply start the title of the note with a date - in yyyymmdd format.  When I have a selection of 'hits' I can quickly place  them in document-date order by sorting by title. 

When I scan documents I do so to a folder on my hard drive so that it's convenient to add the date to the file name.. then when a note is created for that file,  the name becomes the title.  I have a text expander set up to generate the current date with a keypress,  and other dates tend to get copied and pasted as necessary.

It's unknown whether or when Evernote may re-introduce editing options for note metadata - since it's a standard part of Legacy it seems unlikely they have any specific opposition to including that option,  just probably a long list of feature detail to add back into v10 in which that may have its place.

The company is unlikely to respond to a Forum post,  but you should be able to raise a Support ticket and get a direct response on this issue if you wish.

These Forums are mainly user 2 user - subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (or use the feedback option in the mobile client). 

• Like 1

I also see this as a critical feature. I use the create date to refer to the date the content was created and sort accordingly. That works well for the desktop version. Others seem to use create date to refer to the date the note was created in Evernote, regardless of the date of the content in that note. This works well when the note content is entered into Evernote at the same time the content is created. Evernote iOS assumes that all content is entered into Evernote at the time of creation.

When the note is entered into Evernote on a date other than when the content is created (for whatever reason), then this assumption falls apart. I have zero interest in tracking when the content was entered into Evernote. I have much more internet in tracking when the content was created, whether or not it was entered into Evernote on that date.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, martyscholes said:

Evernote iOS assumes that all content is entered into Evernote at the time of creation.

This thread has been quiet for four months and has a grand total of 4 votes in favour,  so it doesn't look like a high-profile issue that Evernote might think requires immediate action. 

If you check the posts above,  we all understand full well that the date of a note defaults to the date on which it was created,  which seems like a sensible option.  It is the 'created date' of the note and does exactly what it says on the can.  If you wish to show the document date - the actual date of meetings,  emails etc - then the sensible (i.e. faster and more accurate) option is to add a date as a tag or a title.  Even in Legacy changing a document date requires some messing around.  Evernote probably will restore the ability to change creation dates on a timescale of their own,  but if you need that option - find a work-around or a different application;  because I don't see the process being available soon.

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

This thread has been quiet for four months and has a grand total of 4 votes in favour,  so it doesn't look like a high-profile issue that Evernote might think requires immediate action. 

If you check the posts above,  we all understand full well that the date of a note defaults to the date on which it was created,  which seems like a sensible option.  It is the 'created date' of the note and does exactly what it says on the can.  If you wish to show the document date - the actual date of meetings,  emails etc - then the sensible (i.e. faster and more accurate) option is to add a date as a tag or a title.  Even in Legacy changing a document date requires some messing around.  Evernote probably will restore the ability to change creation dates on a timescale of their own,  but if you need that option - find a work-around or a different application;  because I don't see the process being available soon.

We agree that this feature will not bubble to the top of EN’s priority list for a while, if ever. The workaround you propose certainly works for greenfield (new) notes and notebooks. As HSM notes, the workaround does not work well for brownfield (existing) notes and notebooks. In the end, this missing feature is one more reason that iPad EN cannot replace desktop EN yet.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, martyscholes said:

the workaround does not work well for brownfield (existing) notes and notebooks.

Neither does anything that Evernote has ever offered directly.  I too have a ton of notes (amongst my almost 57K total) that lack important dates.  I've split my existing notes into around 400 notebooks,  which brings the average notes-per-notebook down to 140 or so,  which is a number that doesn't make me squint so hard.  The notebooks that I need for daily tasks get manually updated titles next time they're opened.  It's an ongoing maintenance job.

This is a project that had a hiccup since Filterize were planning to close,  but they're apparently back on track,  so when I have a few minutes I can cover rather more notes automatically...  https://filterize.net/blog/using-filterize/115003550771-extract-a-creation-date-for-your-note-out-of-your-document/