PREVIOUS VERSION

pansovic

Idea

43 replies to this idea

Wow, I just upgraded to v10. That was a mistake.

I found the legacy version, that's better, but still... the developers act like their software is the only thing going on the screen.

Get a clue guys, you're a Note Taking app. Stop trying to be a Publishing app.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

The good thing about Legacy is that it exports to HTML and ENEX and can print to PDF.  Various other apps exist that can read one or the other of those formats,  and an increasing number can import Evernote notes direct.  If you need to leave,  you're covered:  the only (slight) difficulty is finding something comparable to move on to.  I don't think Evernote can leave their legacy system running indefinitely - while they're not 'supporting' the old apps,  I'd guess anyone running new and Legacy side-by-side is consuming more resource than someone solely on EN10. 

But again - until they can reasonably argue that the new version is truly comparable with Legacy,  and some significant proportion of their users are using v10,  they can't start to apply any pressure by closing it off. 

We're here (IMHO) for some months at least.  So there's a solid chance that -maybe- the horse will learn how to sing.  Since I'm continuing as normal on the last Public version with no intent to "upgrade" unless and until I must,  I'm prepared to give them the chance.  Plus I see no reason for crossing bridges until I have to - I have enough current issues without voluntarily adopting any more!

• Like 3

It´s not working . it keeps installing version 10. I uninstall evernote then click on link. It says version 6. 25 but when installing and opening it appears as versionn10 😡🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

How much I hate this. I only want to move on with my work and have to spend my time with this bullshit,

HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT

Screenshot 2020-10-11 013139.png

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, pansovic said:

It´s not working . it keeps installing version 10. I uninstall evernote then click on link. It says version 6. 25 but when installing and opening it appears as versionn10

Do you see a second app called Evernote Legacy

10 hours ago, DTLow said:

Do you see a second app called Evernote Legacy

Where should I see that? On the screenshot, you see what I have downloaded, which is the 6+ version. That should be the right version, but when I click on it, it installs the 10 version.

However, in the installed programs (second screenshot), you can see the Evernote with 220 MB while the program I downloaded has 128 MB. 

When I go to details (third screenshot), it is clearly the 10 version. 

What I have done in uninstalled the 10 version and then click on the 6+ version. What am I doing wrong?

Screenshot 2020-10-11 114624.png

Screenshot 2020-10-11 114906.png

Screenshot 2020-10-11 115144.png

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Windows should be the same AFAIK.  In fact the correct app shows up here - 

513796082_ScreenClip1.png.c488011bfb77884c17f88c96ef2122d4.png

- don't know why it isn't available.  What device and which Win version is this?  I haven't seen a display like this before...

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Don't know why I don't recognise the setup screens.  For the moment I'd suggest you reinstall the pre-legacy version 6.25.1 - there should be a release post in the forums,  or you can download it from this external source: https://filehippo.com/download_evernote/

Then I'd suggest raising this with Support - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

Thanks, it appeared to be Microsoft's setting that directs you to the Microsoft store where I can download the EN, but the latest version. Now back on track with the old version. I can breathe again and move on with my work. Let's hope EN staff will start working very hard to fix the thousands of issues.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, Ju P said:

The needed version would be the one just before the major upgrade (10.x) so we need version 9.x

I'm not sure that there was a v9.x for any device. 6.25 is the correct (legacy) version for Windows desktop - what's your OS? 

9 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'm not sure that there was a v9.x for any device. 6.25 is the correct (legacy) version for Windows desktop - what's your OS? 

Oh really ? I had no idea, I thought they published multiples releases since v7.x, I did not checked regularly given that updates were smoother.

I'm on Windows 10. If v7 is the public version before v10 then yes I feel safer to install it.

• Level 5

On Windows, the counter stopped at 6.25 (which is still a piece of 32bit-software, unable to run a nice dark mode, just to make some folks remember who filled the forum with it. Oh, I neeeeeed dark mode, or I will quit. OK, now you got v10 with a super dark mode: For YOU guys it is staying time !)

Since on the Mac 32bitters were disallowed by Apple with Catalina, the wheel turned a little further: 7.14. Nice dark mode, by the way.

With v10, full stop, full reset, new release for all apps. They just got the numbers mixed up, it sometimes feels more like a v0.1.

• Like 2

I cannot believe a company of this size would release such a steaming pile of dung and put out so many customers.

I'm running a much fast windows PC than most people ever will on a network connection that is faster than most people have and it's completely useless.

Everything I do results in a spinning green wheel. EVERYTHING. Utter garbage. I've been with Evernote since the beginning and it's amazing how a company manages to make a product worse over a period of 15 years.

greenwheel.jpg

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, MeLoveEvernoteLongTime said:

I cannot believe a company of this size would release such a steaming pile of dung and put out so many customers.

I'm running a much fast windows PC than most people ever will on a network connection that is faster than most people have and it's completely useless.

Everything I do results in a spinning green wheel. EVERYTHING. Utter garbage. I've been with Evernote since the beginning and it's amazing how a company manages to make a product worse over a period of 15 years.

greenwheel.jpg

Totally agree. I cannot believe that people even work with this *****. It is the same for the Android version. I went back to the Legacy version and will wait until the very last moment to change to version 10. But, indeed, it is incredible what they have done with Evernote. They have destroyed a solid product. Then you have all these Level 5 members replying for whatever thing. Are they paid for doing that? How can they not be frustrated as many of us? The whole Evernote thing baffles me. I can't get my head around it. How can you put something like that on the market?

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, pansovic said:

Are they paid for doing that?

Nope. But like you I'm on the last public release of Evernote,  waiting for them to get their act together - which should be happening within weeks now that they have the snappy new tech in place.  The simple and sensible answer to all tecnical issues for the moment is:  use Legacy!!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Nope. But like you I'm on the last public release of Evernote,  waiting for them to get their act together - which should be happening within weeks now that they have the snappy new tech in place.  The simple and sensible answer to all tecnical issues for the moment is:  use Legacy!!

Keep dreaming. "within weeks". Yeh, right. There is a ton of things that needs to be solved. It's a total disaster. This is so bad made that they have put EN back 10 years. I can't imagine how you keep defending this EN management. 

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, pansovic said:

I can't imagine how you keep defending this EN management. 

I'm not - it was a terminally stupid move to treat the new version as a General Release. Evernote should have made it a public beta for users to opt in if they were prepared to risk it

However they have rewritten things from the ground up and are on version 10.5 only 8 weeks or so after v10.0...  Another 8 weeks might see some real changes - and some users are already saying that the new version is pretty good,  though I have no intention of giving it a try as yet. 

Since the cure for most of what ails the new version is just to switch back to the old one,  I see no reason for all the wailing and complaining.  Either Evernote will fix this and everything goes back to 'normal',  or they won't and you leave.  Your choice at all levels,  no drama involved. 

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, gazumped said:

Either Evernote will fix this and everything goes back to 'normal',  or they won't and you leave.  Your choice at all levels,  no drama involved. 

Leaving is not so simple.
I have thousands of notes with more than 15,000 attachments.
After recovering from v10 shock I've installed legacy which runs ok.
Can't even think about the day I'll have to install v10.
No way!!

4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

The good thing about Legacy is that it exports to HTML and ENEX and can print to PDF.  Various other apps exist that can read one or the other of those formats,  and an increasing number can import Evernote notes direct.  If you need to leave,  you're covered:  the only (slight) difficulty is finding something comparable to move on to.  I don't think Evernote can leave their legacy system running indefinitely - while they're not 'supporting' the old apps,  I'd guess anyone running new and Legacy side-by-side is consuming more resource than someone solely on EN10. 

But again - until they can reasonably argue that the new version is truly comparable with Legacy,  and some significant proportion of their users are using v10,  they can't start to apply any pressure by closing it off. 

We're here (IMHO) for some months at least.  So there's a solid chance that -maybe- the horse will learn how to sing.  Since I'm continuing as normal on the last Public version with no intent to "upgrade" unless and until I must,  I'm prepared to give them the chance.  Plus I see no reason for crossing bridges until I have to - I have enough current issues without voluntarily adopting any more!

Another problem I'm having is with my Android 10 device.
I can't view PDF attachments 😞
Support don't seem to help...

13 minutes ago, gazumped said:

But again - until they can reasonably argue that the new version is truly comparable with Legacy,  and some significant proportion of their users are using v10,  they can't start to apply any pressure by closing it off. 

I think it will take years until the new version will be truly comparable with Legacy (if at all...)

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, oded said:

Another problem I'm having is with my Android 10 device.
I can't view PDF attachments 😞
Support don't seem to help...

Is this also v10?  You can go back to the previous version (8.13) but you'll have to search for ways to install a non-Play Store download,  and disable the auto-update feature for Evernote if you want to keep using it...  https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-13-3-release/

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Is this also v10?  You can go back to the previous version (8.13) but you'll have to search for ways to install a non-Play Store download,  and disable the auto-update feature for Evernote if you want to keep using it...  https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-13-3-release/

Thank you, but I had the very same problem with older Android versions too.
Submitted a support ticket one year ago.
They apologized and asked me to wait until this issue is handled.
I'm still waiting...

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, oded said:

I can't view PDF attachments

Hmmn.  Sorry - should have read the details more closely;  you do realise that PDF files are not downloaded to mobiles by default?  All my PDF files show as icons and need downloading to the device before they will open.  I installed Xodo Docs which will open the PDF files for me (the default reader option is in Android settings) so I have no problem reading PDF files once downloaded.  You can print (or maybe export) PDF pages to individual JPG files if you wish to be able to see them in your notes...

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Sorry - should have read the details more closely;  you do realise that PDF files are not downloaded to mobiles by default?  All my PDF files show as icons and need downloading to the device before they will open.  I installed Xodo Docs which will open the PDF files for me (the default reader option is in Android settings) so I have no problem reading PDF files once downloaded.  You can print (or maybe export) PDF pages to individual JPG files if you wish to be able to see them in your notes...

No, I didn't know that PDF attachments are not downloaded to mobiles by default.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, oded said:

No, I didn't know that PDF attachments are not downloaded to mobiles by default.

It makes sense - a PDF could be a couple of MB and take several minutes to download (to a mobile) in full.  If users had to wait that long to see a note,  it wouldn't be worth it.  This way,  once the note is visible it's your choice whether or not to open the PDF and read it...

Sorry, post interrupted...
However, what about docx attachments?
Are docx attachments downloaded?
I have no problem viewing docx attachments.
Anyway, PDF attachments show as icons on my device too.
When I click on the icon I'm asked if I want to view or edit the attachment.
If I choose "view" nothing happens.
If I choose "edit" I get an error "no application found to open this attachment"
How can I download the attachment?

25 minutes ago, gazumped said:

you do realise that PDF files are not downloaded to mobiles by default?  All my PDF files show as icons and need downloading to the device before they will open.  I installed Xodo Docs which will open the PDF files for me (the default reader option is in Android settings) 

Btw, when I open my mail and try to open a PDF attachment, it opens very quickly...
I'm not sure the file is downloaded.

As I am downloading the legacy version I want to add my name to the list of dissatisfied users. Several features I use are no longer available, I can't find a way to have it run with windows startup, the new tile setup really sucks and they want me to pay more to even try to use it. I would have like to have seen some editor improvements but even that's worse. This is not software anywhere close to being ready for release.

I made the mistake of going to v10 on my home machine. So thanks for the link to v6.25 luckily I didn't install it on my work machine so can still work.

I do not understand why Evernote did this v10 is Sh*t, the only good thing is dark mode but that's no compensation if you can't use it.

FYI if anyone from Evernote reads these forums I pay for my Evernote subscription out of my own pocket, I have MS Notes provided by my company so I could use that for free. You are not making me want to stay.

I feel the same way.  I just want to take / search notes.  I don't want a chat app or a webpage look with a bunch of wasted real-estate.  I want my old, fast note taking tool back.

Legacy version is as good as nothing, because it cannot connect to the login servers. I can't wait for this Evernote nightmare to be over, I just want to take my notes and move on from this misguided ransomware (ransom are my notes). Dear Evernote, you never deserved to by trusted with peoples' thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Athelas said:

Legacy version is as good as nothing, because it cannot connect to the login servers.

I'm using the Evernote Legacy product with no issues
What do you mean by cannot connect to the login servers?

Came here because I had a new work computer, downloaded Evernote and bam, what is this cr@p? I tried the v10 beta previously and found it severely lacking. Now it's a severely lacking general release. Where is the preference/options menu even? How can I set things like creating a new note automatically opening it in a separate window, and having the cursor be active in the Title bar and not the note body? Where's the ability to customise my tool bar? I don't care for the fancy looking home page you created... I use it for work and personal use, and at work I'll only be in my work folder, I won't ever see the fancy home screen. And the bugs... Annotate a few photos and suddenly the next photo is huge ass AND out of place, covering the entire side bar.... I can't live with this!