The new Evernote 10 Version List of Missing Core Features

gazumped

Idea

• Level 5*
On 11/20/2020 at 12:25 PM, Julia R said:

How do I simply navigate to "MY NOTEBOOK LIST"? All I want to do is see a list view of all of my Stacks and Notebooks and rename, re-organize/move notebooks to different stacks, and create + delete stacks.

On my Mac I click on the Notebook icon in the sidebar757367844_ScreenShot2020-11-28at04_53_58.png.044afaa8068225493e184588da80e74c.png

On 11/22/2020 at 12:08 PM, Koandco said:

• If you quit Evernote, the notetaker gizmo on the desktop closes too. In the past you could still take notes on the thingie even if Evernote was quit. 
  • The simplified formatting?? I can’t choose the fonts I want. + they dropped the dividing line that I used ALL THE TIME to separate content in huge long notes (mine are over 50 pages long at times). 
  • The search tool is on the top left? not user friendly at all. You should put it back on the upper right side like all search bars. 

I agree with you 100%.

However, the dividing line is there.  They just moved it.  Towards the upper-right, there's a blue dot with a white plus - and there it is.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, artlieberman said:

However, the dividing line is there.  They just moved it.  Towards the upper-right, there's a blue dot with a white plus - and there it is.

or just type three dashes  and enter

---<enter>

On 11/20/2020 at 12:24 AM, CalS said:

Not so much.  I tried a test with 565 notes, 553 made the journey.  And the formatting on some notes was borked.  Not quite ready for prime time in my view as compared to 6.25 Windows version.  Maybe okay if 10 doesn't get any better.  Lower price for the same grief.

Similar experience myself with 3000+ notes. Am now trying out Notion.

On 10/10/2020 at 2:26 PM, mlidi said:

The new Evernote for Windows 10 is an EPIC FAILURE! Just bring in more formatting options and headings to the old evernote and thank you. That whole HTML5 interface is a disaster and lack basic features like toolbar on the top, takes 10 seconds to open a note in a separate window, delete key doesn't work anymore, new note doesn't open by default in new window...

Luckily I had the old installer saved on my desktop

I agree.  I just uninstalled Evernote 10, because it is a major step backwards and it no longer supports local files.  I've been a user since 2002 and this is the absolute worst update.   I'd rather live with the warts of Evernote 6, than switch to this new release.

• Like 2

What a disaster. So much stripped in the v10 update. Where are all the menu options? I thought we had a good future. My heart was green. but its over. I'm looking elsewhere, and taking all my clients that I put on Evernote with me. 

• Like 1

What a f*** *p. Evernote seriously, just toss this version completely, go back to the previous version and take it from there.

Here's what's critical on the desktop - tags, search and offline notes.

Doing a fake (web based) desktop app may seem trendy but why cripple something you've already had working well?

• Like 8

Long time user, and I pay money as a subscriber. 

Seems I am not the only one very disappointed by this update. 

I will add a simple, but really annoying problem. I can't find any way to make the text in any note single spacing. Everything now is close to double spaced. 

Makes everything a huge mess, full of white space and endless scrolling. Without options to reduce line spacing everything bloats and expands - becomes the opposite of user friendly.  

1) Why?

2) please get this sorted as soon as possible. It's a deal breaker for me as a subscriber . 

• Like 3

Is it REALLY true that we can't access any of our offline notes anymore in V10+?       I even keep my networking notes on Evernote for troubleshooting.  When my or anyone's internet goes down, which it does twice a week here, I can't access any critical information anymore?

If true, this is no small thing.  This is a major, major sabotage of the functionality.  Forget fonts, even search.   The only thing worse they could do is start losing our actual data.   

I have been sucked in to building my whole life's information system around this product.  Is this "removed feature" going to be a central problem to the new platform or is it possible they can return it's function. 

On 10/10/2020 at 9:33 AM, MarcSant said:

- I can't Paste text directly to Evernote note (CTRL+shitf+V) anymore

No way!   I use this for every note.  It's my primary method of building a note.  Is this certain?  Is it a bug that's being worked out ?   Fatal flaw if so. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SWSL said:

Is it REALLY true that we can't access any of our offline notes anymore in V10+?       I even keep my networking notes on Evernote for troubleshooting.  When my or anyone's internet goes down, which it does twice a week here, I can't access any critical information anymore?

If true, this is no small thing.  This is a major, major sabotage of the functionality.  Forget fonts, even search.   The only thing worse they could do is start losing our actual data.   

I have been sucked in to building my whole life's information system around this product.  Is this "removed feature" going to be a central problem to the new platform or is it possible they can return it's function. 

No, it isn't really true that we can't access any of our notes anymore in V10+, at least not in the desktop versions.

If I disconnect the  network, I can still access all my notes and I can create new ones. Everything will be synchronized once the network is on again. Don't worry...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SWSL said:

No way!   I use this for every note.  It's my primary method of building a note.  Is this certain?  Is it a bug that's being worked out ?   Fatal flaw if so. 

With the latest release EN 10.4.4 I have no problem with CTRL+SHIFT+V  or CTRL+V

20 hours ago, Scottify said:

Long time user, and I pay money as a subscriber. 

Seems I am not the only one very disappointed by this update. 

I will add a simple, but really annoying problem. I can't find any way to make the text in any note single spacing. Everything now is close to double spaced. 

Makes everything a huge mess, full of white space and endless scrolling. Without options to reduce line spacing everything bloats and expands - becomes the opposite of user friendly.  

1) Why?

2) please get this sorted as soon as possible. It's a deal breaker for me as a subscriber . 

Does anyone from Evernote actually read and reply to these posts???

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Scottify said:

Does anyone from Evernote actually read and reply to these posts???

I haven't seen any replies myself. It seems like they don't care.

BTW , I've found a free note application that imports flawlessly from Evernote's .enex file (the export format). It's called Joplin. The good thing is that your data can be hosted on different cloud services. At also has the look and feel of Evernote. I'm trying it out now with my DropBox.

• Like 1

As I make changes to a note, while I am editing, the note "refreshes" and my edits are gone. Or I will get a warning saying that there is another version of this note. They are not technically conflicting notes since they are not in that notebook, but I am having duplicates of the same note.

Besides major issues of not having the confidence that my edits are there, it is very annoying to end up with duplicates of notes.

It also happens when I edit the title of a brand new note. I will type, hit tab to go to the body...all of a sudden the title is cut out, like it only accepted partial key strokes.

Are these happening to anyone else?

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

As I make changes to a note, while I am editing, the note "refreshes" and my edits are gone. Or I will get a warning saying that there is another version of this note. They are not technically conflicting notes since they are not in that notebook, but I am having duplicates of the same note.

Besides major issues of not having the confidence that my edits are there, it is very annoying to end up with duplicates of notes.

It also happens when I edit the title of a brand new note. I will type, hit tab to go to the body...all of a sudden the title is cut out, like it only accepted partial key strokes.

Are these happening to anyone else?

That sounds pretty bad, luckily I have only had one occasion of a conflict.
Have you submitted a support ticket for this?

Argh, the update has broken a feature I didn't even realise I used so often!

In the old version, when I want to apply the same tags to a note as an existing note, I can select both notes & bring up the "assign tags" dialog, with "hide unassigned tags" checked. This gives me a handy list of all the current shared tags (which are checked) and those that aren't shared (with a black dot in the box). I can then either click "select all" to apply all of the tags to each note, or I can manually select the tags I want if I don't need to apply them all.

In the new version, if I bring up the dialog it only shows the current shared tags, not those that aren't shared. There doesn't appear to be any easy way to copy across the tags from one note to another, the only option is to add them all manually. Obviously this isn't a major problem if it's just a few tags, but for some types of notes I use quite a lot of tags so its incredibly tedious and prone to mistakes to do this manually.

Looks like I'll be reverting to the old version until the new one reinstates most of the old features (no import folder?!?!!!). I'm usually someone who looks forward to new releases, I'm not some kind of dinosaur who can't adjust, but this one just breaks so many aspects of my workflow & feels like quite a different app.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Saskia said:

In the new version, if I bring up the dialog it only shows the current shared tags, not those that aren't shared. There doesn't appear to be any easy way to copy across the tags from one note to another, the only option is to add them all manually.

There is a solution but it only really works if you don't have nested tags.

If you select your tagged note and the untagged note you will see the blue multi-select menu appear at the bottom of the screen. Clicking the tag icon in this menu brings up the edit tags menu. A tag will have a blue box with a white line if the tag is only applied to the tagged note. clicking it replaces it with a tick and it will be assigned to both notes

image.png.0a9989c2d9346d24ccd0e22e733c5fe5.png

However, I have not found a way to expand the entire tag hierarchy in any of the views that have a tag hierarchy. This means finding all the tags in your source note will be impractical if you have a deeply nested tag structure.

58 minutes ago, Saskia said:

Argh, the update has broken a feature I didn't even realise I used so often!

In the old version, when I want to apply the same tags to a note as an existing note, I can select both notes & bring up the "assign tags" dialog, with "hide unassigned tags" checked. This gives me a handy list of all the current shared tags (which are checked) and those that aren't shared (with a black dot in the box). I can then either click "select all" to apply all of the tags to each note, or I can manually select the tags I want if I don't need to apply them all.

Oh that is not good. Like you, I use that feature all the time - multiple times/day.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

There is a solution but it only really works if you don't have nested tags.

If you select your tagged note and the untagged note you will see the blue multi-select menu appear at the bottom of the screen. Clicking the tag icon in this menu brings up the edit tags menu. A tag will have a blue box with a white line if the tag is only applied to the tagged note. clicking it replaces it with a tick and it will be assigned to both notes

image.png.0a9989c2d9346d24ccd0e22e733c5fe5.png

However, I have not found a way to expand the entire tag hierarchy in any of the views that have a tag hierarchy. This means finding all the tags in your source note will be impractical if you have a deeply nested tag structure.

Unfortunately my tags are all nested, some of them a few layers deep :(

But thanks for the suggestion, hopefully it might help someone else having the same issue!

12 hours ago, dantek said:

New version released for Windows - v10.4 - 

No mention of any of the issues mentioned in this thread being looked at. Spellcheck doesn't work and the windows don't even have window names....but hey - new features you didn't need! (sigh..)

They do a wonderful job listening to their customers!

23 hours ago, BenBo said:

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

You will be advised to step back to a previous version, which will certainly allow you to carry on as if nothing had ha....   AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH <sob!>

23 hours ago, BenBo said:

🤬

On 11/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, Koandco said:

What I find really annoying is that I can't search within a note. For example, If I search for "proverb", I know I have it at least 23 times in my note, yet, it says no results, yet they,re all highlighted in my notes but it will not bring me to the results. The arrows don't work either. 
Surely this is really a bad flaw? Especially since it's a premium feature. Am I searching wrongly? 

For me, searching in a note and moving through  the search results using the arrows works just fine. I use ctrl-f to initiate the search (f means "find").

4 hours ago, Mickey58 said:

For me, searching in a note and moving through  the search results using the arrows works just fine. I use ctrl-f to initiate the search (f means "find").

This is only happening in an ultra long note, over 100 pages. The search and arrows work in other smaller notes. Still, it's extremely upsetting as the only reason I've subscribed to Premium was to be able to search inside notes. 

1 minute ago, Koandco said:

This is only happening in an ultra long note, over 100 pages. The search and arrows work in other smaller notes. Still, it's extremely upsetting as the only reason I've subscribed to Premium was to be able to search inside notes. 

Ok, understand. To me, the absence of/changes to local notebooks are probably the most concerning change.

Having been in software development myself for many years, I understand that sometimes a piece of software needs to be completely redone (refactored), if key imitations can't be addressed within the old architecture. And I also understand that this comes often with disruptions and loss of functionality ("regressions"). This has probably happend to Evernote in V10.

I'm more concerned that obvious, small missing functions have not beent addressed in Evernote over many years. To me (as a heavy user of Evernote), the single most missing feature is to return to the last point of edit when opening a note. 

Whether the new architecture will allow to make these things better over time, remains unclear though.

• Like 2

So, I opened a ticket, about the impossibility of searching in an ultra long note. Here's Evernote's reply:

I understand that the words you search are not appearing on the search result of the shared notebook.

Upon checking with our development team, this is a known limitation that we are still working on.

I know this has caused you inconvenience and I sincerely apologize for that.

This said, why when I retrieve the partner, does it still happen? I'm using an older computer (as my falsely macbook pro Cadillac crashed due to automatic updates sigh!!!) so I have an older version of Evernote and am way more happy with it. 

Add me to the list of very unhappy customers now needing to look for a new note manager.

esp the lack of full offline capability, as often i am in places with no online access .. this is one of the primary reasons i moved to evernote a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
48 minutes ago, lcc said:

esp the lack of full offline capability, as often i am in places with no online access .. this is one of the primary reasons i moved to evernote a few years ago.

Evernote continues to have "offline capability"    
Was there something specific?

On 10/7/2020 at 8:03 AM, Shane D. said:

@gazumped Yes, you can still use an older version.

Please see this resource:
https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/360052560314

I am fully aware that, for now, I have the option to use the older program however as I have spent considerable time cleaning up Notes which, in v6, used a wide variety of Windows fonts and lost much of the formatting and layout I used for clarity and for Presentations. Going back to v6 does not take me back to that formatting. I feel the best investment of my time is to move forward accommodating the changes between v6 and v10.

I agree the new Note editor is a big improvement. It is however very frustrating to paste information into a Note and then need to spend time cleaning up scrambled paragraphs and images and finding new ways to highlight information needed for a presentation and accompanying printouts and PDF files.

So, in fairness, I have not LOST information but I HAVE lost a lot of time repeating editing, etc.

2 hours ago, Gale Rhoades said:

It is however very frustrating to paste information into a Note and then need to spend time cleaning up scrambled paragraphs

I find that ctrl-shift-V (paste and match style) sometimes works better than the simple ctrl-V.

• Like 2

Hello All!
After having shown my disapointment i would like to say thank you now for the newest version that is just about what i was used before!

There are a few changes - i will deal with it over time!

...and i am quiet positive now about further updates soon.

Cheers, Béat

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I use virtual desktops for various contexts on macOS.

Using the old Evernote app, I kept separate Evernote windows on each desktop as needed. 

Now this simple feature is gone, and this chilling thread tells me it is never coming back.

This means I need to replace a core note taking app I have used across all my devices for many years. You guys really stepped in it when you bought the Electron framework without understanding its limitations.

• Like 1
On 10/7/2020 at 8:27 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  First  comment - you may want to change the tag line for this section:  "If you have feedback related to the older version of Evernote for Windows, post here!" (my emphasis) - I think you mean the new one?

Some questions arise before I update my current version 6.25...

1. Is there a "step back" option? - i.e. once updated would I be able to revert to my 6.25 version if the new app is not performing well?
  2. Local (unsynced) notes are no longer supported - do you still store local copies of the notes synced with the server database?  I ask because I use Backupery's app to export my notes to ENEX on a daily basis and I'd like to continue to do so after updating.
  3. For anyone wary of updating to the new version - how long do you forsee support for legacy versions continuing?  Will there still be bug fixes and updates for those versions?
  4. Presentation Mode is something which is very useful for academic users - is there any prospect of this coming back / some sort of integration with a presentation app?
  5. Another service I use is Postach.io - will that app continue to be able to convert my notes to a blog?

I can work around the Outlook Clipper no longer being supported (there's still email!) but the list of unsupported features in the help page says (again my emphasis)

Can we expect an exhaustive list of 'no longer supported' features anytime soon?

Presentation Mode is something for which I bought premium subscription of Evernote. If this is discontinued, it is as good as another notes taking app. Will be discontinuing my membership as the most wanted feature has just been removed

• Like 1
On 10/7/2020 at 8:27 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  First  comment - you may want to change the tag line for this section:  "If you have feedback related to the older version of Evernote for Windows, post here!" (my emphasis) - I think you mean the new one?

Some questions arise before I update my current version 6.25...

1. Is there a "step back" option? - i.e. once updated would I be able to revert to my 6.25 version if the new app is not performing well?
  2. Local (unsynced) notes are no longer supported - do you still store local copies of the notes synced with the server database?  I ask because I use Backupery's app to export my notes to ENEX on a daily basis and I'd like to continue to do so after updating.
  3. For anyone wary of updating to the new version - how long do you forsee support for legacy versions continuing?  Will there still be bug fixes and updates for those versions?
  4. Presentation Mode is something which is very useful for academic users - is there any prospect of this coming back / some sort of integration with a presentation app?
  5. Another service I use is Postach.io - will that app continue to be able to convert my notes to a blog?

I can work around the Outlook Clipper no longer being supported (there's still email!) but the list of unsupported features in the help page says (again my emphasis)

Can we expect an exhaustive list of 'no longer supported' features anytime soon?

Presentation Mode is something for which I bought premium subscription of Evernote. If this is discontinued, it is as good as another notes taking app. Will be discontinuing my membership as the most wanted feature has just been removed

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BertFB said:

No more GPS location information!!!  Critical to many users!!! Dropped without informing us before 'upgrading'

This is their way of improving it! Knock out all the features the customers love. They've decided we don't know what we need. They know better!

• Level 5*

After months of postponing EN updates, I finally updated today . . . without reading the release notes. Suffice to say I was shocked that the new and allegedly improved EN is just the web version in a desktop app wrapper. Many features lost, including Local Notebooks.

Ironically, the day I discover that EN is now forcing all user data into the cloud is the day that cybersecurity firm FireEye announces they were hacked. If they can be hacked, it is just a matter of time until EN's cloud-stored user data is hacked. 

Sticking with EN Legacy until I find an alternative option that doesn't require users to store sensitive info in the cloud.

6 hours ago, tavor said:

After months of postponing EN updates, I finally updated today . . . without reading the release notes. Suffice to say I was shocked that the new and allegedly improved EN is just the web version in a desktop app wrapper. Many features lost, including Local Notebooks.

Ironically, the day I discover that EN is now forcing all user data into the cloud is the day that cybersecurity firm FireEye announces they were hacked. If they can be hacked, it is just a matter of time until EN's cloud-stored user data is hacked. 

Sticking with EN Legacy until I find an alternative option that doesn't require users to store sensitive info in the cloud.

After trying out several options, I found that the most similar alternative is Joplin. It imported my +3400 notes seamlessly from EN's .enex file export. It is virtually identical in functionality to EN.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, IanHinton said:

After trying out several options, I found that the most similar alternative is Joplin. It imported my +3400 notes seamlessly from EN's .enex file export. It is virtually identical in functionality to EN.

Thanks for the feedback. Does it have a local-only option for notes you don't want in the cloud?

Did you try Nimbus Note?

4 hours ago, tavor said:

Thanks for the feedback. Does it have a local-only option for notes you don't want in the cloud?

Did you try Nimbus Note?

Joplin notes are written in markdown. As you type, the markdown is formatted and rendered in another window.  (They have an experimental wysiwyg editor, but it is not ready for prime time).

Notes can be stored locally.  If that local folder is also mirrored in the cloud (eg Dropbox) you can share your notes (with yourself or others.).

Joplin supports a we clipper, but be careful.  That plugin has had security issues.

When Joplin has the ability to edit 2 notes at the same time, I will consider switching to Joplin. I must have some notes that are only stored locally.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Mark (on Evernote.com) said:

Joplin notes are written in markdown. As you type, the markdown is formatted and rendered in another window.  (They have an experimental wysiwyg editor, but it is not ready for prime time).

Notes can be stored locally.  If that local folder is also mirrored in the cloud (eg Dropbox) you can share your notes (with yourself or others.).

Joplin supports a we clipper, but be careful.  That plugin has had security issues.

When Joplin has the ability to edit 2 notes at the same time, I will consider switching to Joplin. I must have some notes that are only stored locally.

So I can choose to store some notes in a folder that isn't mirrored while keeping other notes in folder(s) that are mirrored (which is more or less what EN "local notebooks" feature does)? 

Joplin desktop doesn't let you open windows for each note? You just have one note viewable (in the main app) at a time? That would be a dealbreaker for me. I'm sure the devs know that many users and potential users need to have multiple notes open simultaneously, and be able to go back and forth editing those notes.

Awful new version... Also notices we lost the ability to export all notes. I backup all my notes on a weekly basis, and the current version allows only export for 50 notes at a time.

I currently looking for alternatives. If a company like Evernote decides to do this new version clearly without thinking about users, I don't like to think how it treats our data.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:49 PM, Navneet Gulati said:

Same. That's the one feature that convinced me to get a subscription. There are open source apps with a similar feature set without the presentation mode feature in Evernote. Also considering to discontinue my subscription and moving to alternatives.

18 hours ago, Lucas Vitti said:

Awful new version... Also notices we lost the ability to export all notes. I backup all my notes on a weekly basis, and the current version allows only export for 50 notes at a time.

I currently looking for alternatives. If a company like Evernote decides to do this new version clearly without thinking about users, I don't like to think how it treats our data.

I export one Notebook at a time to an enex file. I keep thinking that I saw an option to export all Notebooks but as I cannot find it, I guess it was just my imagination.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Gale Rhoades said:

I keep thinking that I saw an option to export all Notebooks

Export all is an option for the Evernote Legacy product
I use it for weekly backups

Expanded export options are pending for the Evernote Version 10 product

Yes, thank you, I do know that Export ALL is a Legacy option but I have been able to move all other usage to version 10 and am mainly happy with the results. The similarity of Evernote on both the PCs and the Mac has helped greatly. I am hoping for the same improvement when I can install the Android version on my Samsung tablet and smartphone.

• Like 1

It's very annoying when the Evernote CEO and Mr. Designer try to fool you, by basically only sharing their perspective https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nggD3PMO0EM Who uses 5 devices with different operating systems? This is presented as the major problem that had to be solved. Most use 1 device the most by far and occasionally watch through another device (no problem there). The fact that the user interface had to become more uniform was a problem for the manufacturer, not the user !! Everyone understands that this is a problem, but predominantly for the manufacturer! That great sacrifices had to be made from the user perspective for this is unforgivable to be honest. Make sure you only release something when it's all right and not a pale shadow of what I am used to as a user. But the worst part is that the gentlemen in their 'discussion' state for everything that is experienced as a problem that it only concerns 'a small percentage of the users' (tags for example) and that only that group finds it annoying that the tags were moved to the bottom. Everything that is a problem is made small and Mr. Designer goes to 'Polishing' as second step when the number of missing or poorly implemented functions is still enormous. After 12 years as a daily premium user and over 12000 notes, I am about to say goodbye to Evernote. I can endure too little too late, because I can still use the old app, but that they try to justify the fact that they are offending the most loyal users with a badly defective product is unacceptable.

• Like 5
22 hours ago, Marcus W said:

Same. That's the one feature that convinced me to get a subscription. There are open source apps with a similar feature set without the presentation mode feature in Evernote. Also considering to discontinue my subscription and moving to alternatives.

Hi marcus, what open source apps are you thinkin of?

pete

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jean jamin said:

(tags for example)

You know where tags are on the iPhone?  Top of screen.  That's adherence to convergence and same user experience (this would be sarcasm).  Wonder what the rationale for this is?  

And the add tags icon is right out in the open.  Geez.

663562166_Screenshot2020-12-17at3_37_37PM.thumb.png.a0d8731149a92821c74cf7308c3f9ffb.png

• Haha 1

It's terrible. I'm a paid user for years since Evernote started. I don't have to pay for it because I don't have that much of monthly data updates, but I paid for it. Every change is terrible. I'm serious about moving.

16 hours ago, jean jamin said:

It's very annoying when the Evernote CEO and Mr. Designer try to fool you, by basically only sharing their perspective https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nggD3PMO0EM Who uses 5 devices with different operating systems? This is presented as the major problem that had to be solved. Most use 1 device the most by far and occasionally watch through another device (no problem there). The fact that the user interface had to become more uniform was a problem for the manufacturer, not the user !! Everyone understands that this is a problem, but predominantly for the manufacturer! That great sacrifices had to be made from the user perspective for this is unforgivable to be honest. Make sure you only release something when it's all right and not a pale shadow of what I am used to as a user. But the worst part is that the gentlemen in their 'discussion' state for everything that is experienced as a problem that it only concerns 'a small percentage of the users' (tags for example) and that only that group finds it annoying that the tags were moved to the bottom. Everything that is a problem is made small and Mr. Designer goes to 'Polishing' as second step when the number of missing or poorly implemented functions is still enormous. After 12 years as a daily premium user and over 12000 notes, I am about to say goodbye to Evernote. I can endure too little too late, because I can still use the old app, but that they try to justify the fact that they are offending the most loyal users with a badly defective product is unacceptable.

Absolutely very well said. There is a technique taught to customer service representatives to attempt to control the complaining customer. It centers on minimizing the complaint by suggesting that 'you are the only one' complaining or having this issue. Therefore, you are the problem, not the product or service. It seems like Evernote management & staff have all gone to that class! 

• Like 2

My previous post was on a thread that was removed but to add insult to injury, if using the new EN the EXPORT function will only export in their proprietary .ENEX format. Previous to that the other choices allowed to export the text portion as HTML and the various attachments were extracted as .JPG, .PDF...etc. Now it's all one big XML blob.

If you want to migrate you better do it now using the Legacy version to export your attachments.

Hello,

On 12/17/2020 at 6:23 AM, DTLow said:

Export all is an option for the Evernote Legacy product
I use it for weekly backups

Expanded export options are pending for the Evernote Version 10 product

I also export manually all my notes to enex and html format every month.

I hope it will be restored in v10. I was hoping one day Evernote would include a automatic backup solution but for now, i just hope i could continue to manually backup...

1 hour ago, davidtderrick said:

Does this mean that .enex exporting will not include attachments?? All exporting involves some corruption of formatting and I REALLY do not want to do this, but I guess I may have to.

It does but not as separate JPG, PDF...etc. They're stored in hex format in the XML file.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, bakula said:

if using the new EN the EXPORT function will only export in their proprietary .ENEX format

Confirmed, additional export options are pending    
I'm using the Legacy product for my data backups

• Like 1
On 11/6/2020 at 2:59 PM, schaeffa said:

I am also finding that the app is so slow now that it is highly disruptive to work flow. Also, the “find in note” search function doesn’t work at all anymore. It either spends an hour searching for the first letter of the word I entered, or it just doesn’t turn up any results. Am I going to need to find a new platform?

Try Joplin.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, jean jamin said:

Perfectly expressed. I fully agree with you. Going over the complaints here, it's easy to see that virtually all of us have the same complaints. EN have lost their bearings. FYI, I'm making a gradual move to Joplin. It's very similar to EN. It's free, and you use one of the cloud services you already have. The import worked flawlessly for me, over 3200 notes. No notes have been lost, and so far, it seems no information has been lost in any of the notes I've seen. I'm still furiious about the time I've wasted because of EN's ill-branded "upgrade".

Evernote is DEAD.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, betnel said:

Absolutely very well said. There is a technique taught to customer service representatives to attempt to control the complaining customer. It centers on minimizing the complaint by suggesting that 'you are the only one' complaining or having this issue. Therefore, you are the problem, not the product or service. It seems like Evernote management & staff have all gone to that class! 

I think it is even worse: they are likely quoting actual numbers, however from a suspicious base sample. there might indeed be only 5% of EN accounts using tags. but that is not the correct metric. the question is what % of *paying* customers use tags. I am pretty sure that number is *not* 5%. one can beautifully tailor statistics to say almost anything you want and this is a nice yet sad example.

• Like 4
On 10/10/2020 at 8:33 AM, MarcSant said:

It's unbelievable how such a good product can turn into such a bad thing that it induces a customer from years of using the product and the platform to start a process of mass migration of their data to the competition. 

How can a company do not make a market research, a survey among its loyal customers about what they expect or not from a new version. To me, if Evernote continues like this, it really died. And there it is to look for alternatives to other products, which maybe don't have all the features of Evernote but at least they don't charge us for what they can't offer, different from Evernote which keeps charging and at the same time has removed crucial functions for me.

Let's go to the list of CRUCIAL functions that have been removed, and that for me disfigure the whole product:

- There is no way to change the color of lateral toolbar from Dark. 

- There is no way to put shortcuts list in the top of screen. It will not move anymore

- There are only FIVE Fonts. For me that store computer code in the notes, it is A TERRIBLE choice

- Desktop App is a web based one, and notes are not synchronized anymore. Just turn off your Ethernet adapter and the program will not show notes anymore. The proof is that you are able to show "developer options" that show a web page render in the right side of the screen. Another proof is you can use the old classic version side by side with the new one, so the new version 10 is not using the database files that is stored locally.

- I can't change the Interface Language. I like to use English Interface, since I can have a lot of info in foruns instead to get translated the Brazilian version to English one.

- I can't create a Notebook inside the Notebook stack as I always did. You need to first create the Notebook, then move it to stack

- I can't grab a screen capture anymore

- I can't Paste text directly to Evernote note (CTRL+shitf+V) anymore

- I can't import a folder anymore

- I can't un-stack a Notebook from a stack using right click mouse. I need to drag an drop them. 

- I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack.

Please, if you noted some another missing feature, feel free to contribute to this list.

100% agree with this list. Its ridiculous Evernote has basically abandoned loyal customers (I've been using/paying for Evernote for over 5 years) and now I'm thinking about cancelling my subscription. 

What I'd like to add to this list: 

-The 'simplify formatting' function was removed

-The 'date created' for every note has now been changed to ONLY 'date last edited'. I'd like to choose which one I want or give me the option for both dates (as in the previous version) 

2 hours ago, IanHinton said:

and so far, it seems no information has been lost in any of the Joplin notes I've seen.

There *is* important information lost in the Joplin export format: all attached files are renamed to cryptic ID's . For me, this is a terrible design decision since all my attached files have meaningful names and are self contained. Why did they remove the original filename, why not appending the UID at the end of the filename instead? This way my files would be still searchable...

Never been so annoyed in my life about an app change. Feels even worse than an app that starts crashing after an upgrade.

Users should be able to select the default action for a double click in the tray icon. I don't want a new note, I want to open evernote. I use it to look at old notes much more than I use it to create a new note.

Small annoyance: move the tag selector to the top. I tag everything and it is counter intuitive to have to go to the bottom to get to it.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Gaia said:

Small annoyance: move the tag selector to the top. I tag everything and it is counter intuitive to have to go to the bottom to get to it.

Not gonna happen. That was a deliberate decision. CEO and design guy put a conversation on youtube where this was discussed. According to CEO, you are in 2% (or might be 5%, figure seems to change) of users who use tags.

3 hours ago, IanHinton said:

Perfectly expressed. I fully agree with you. Going over the complaints here, it's easy to see that virtually all of us have the same complaints. EN have lost their bearings. FYI, I'm making a gradual move to Joplin. It's very similar to EN. It's free, and you use one of the cloud services you already have. The import worked flawlessly for me, over 3200 notes. No notes have been lost, and so far, it seems no information has been lost in any of the notes I've seen. I'm still furiious about the time I've wasted because of EN's ill-branded "upgrade".

Evernote is DEAD.

IF you complain about missing features and bad GUI in V10, then why do you migrate to Joplin? Joplin's GUI layout is almost identical to V10 and has less functionality and no wysiwyg editor (except for an experimental primitive editor), the tags are at the bottom of the screen...

I always thought that the advantage of markdown was that it is stored in a plain readable text file, but a Joplin file has it's own private format.

7 minutes ago, tavor said:

Not gonna happen. That was a deliberate decision. CEO and design guy put a conversation on youtube where this was discussed. According to CEO, you are in 2% (or might be 5%, figure seems to change) of users who use tags.

I thought that the CEO said that they  consider to make the tags position configurable or something like that ?

• Level 5*

34 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Joplin's GUI layout is almost identical to V10 and has less functionality and no wysiwyg editor (except for an experimental primitive editor)

I always thought that the advantage of markdown was that it is stored in a plain readable text file, but a Joplin file has it's own private format.

Joplin allows use of outside editors. Typora seems to be a popular choice among Joplin users. I'm using it, and I love it, particularly the outline view (something I've wished EN had for years, and which made long notes in EN painful to deal with).

Not sure that's the only advantage of markdown, but markdown files can be read in a plain text editor like Notepad (Windows). Joplin stores data in a database file, like Evernote. With both apps and I would guess most note apps, the individual notes aren't stored as individual files. You can view notes using the app, or export them in whatever formats the app provides. In the case of Joplin, options include JEX (Joplin export format, analogous to ENEX), markdown, html, pdf. And if you choose markdown, you get individual markdown files that can be read in any plain text editor (or markdown editor of course).

27 minutes ago, eric99 said:

I thought that the CEO said that they  consider to make the tags position configurable or something like that ?

In the conversation between CEO and their design guy, it sounded like tags will remain on the bottom and out of the way of people who don't use tags (the allegedly 98%), but that there's more room at the bottom so they'll be able to take advantage of that to expand on tag functionality (I guess, though I can't imagine tags are going to get anymore emphasis under Ian Small than prior CEOs, given his claim about how only a sliver of users use tags).

• Like 2
On 10/10/2020 at 11:18 AM, MarcSant said:

It's really sad. I started my migration plan. And I believe, I'm not alone on this.

What is it? There will be many- including me- who will follow suit if basic core features aren't restored.

• Like 1

For those running both versions- Legacy and the latest- a note of caution. I closed v10 and installed the Legacy version. Unbeknownst to me, v10 was still running (as a process) as I opened the Legacy version. After a couple of hours my Win10 system slowed to a crawl and, upon checking Task Manager, was shocked to see the closed version of Evernote (v10) consuming over 32GB (I have a 64GB system) of RAM and my system was pegged at 99% Memory usage. 

I then attempted to close the offending Evernote process and my system crashed.

I've rebooted and things seem to be ok. I've ensured v10 isn't loading at startup and will continue to monitor as I run EN Legacy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/22/2020 at 5:27 PM, AlexAtx said:

Ugh, I use screen capture all the time!  It's just GONE.  This is a very important feature in my work!  Would have liked to know about removing functionality prior to upgrading.

Is there a work around?

Windows 10 "Snip & Sketch" copies screen snip to Windows Clipboard.  Your clip may be

• pasted into an EV note
  • shared via email to your Evernote email address.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, PhD Radical said:

more efficient than copying internal links and pasting into TOC note

More efficient yes, but not as flexible. With the new system you can add to an existing TOC or dashboard and easily drag the items around to re-order (if you paste into a numbered list). Very happy for the TOC functionailty to return but please keep the new functionaility as well.

Just installed the latest update.  It's dire.  I'm not even a power user but the basic layout and the mess they have made of tags is just awful.  

Shortcuts don't work, layout options are limited.  Have we had a statement from evernote detailing when/if any of this will be fixed? I pay for this service and am bitterly regretting my decision .... 

• Like 2

I have mainly used Evernote on a Mac to archive and search files (pdfs, web clippings, a few notes). Since the new version has lost so much functionality, I've researched other apps that I'm considering switching to. Any thoughts about these: Mendeley, I Librarian, Zotero, PDF Stacks, AbleDocs?

Unless Evernote gets better, I'll likely jump ship. The question is to which other app.

• Level 5

Maybe it is, but it is not 1:1 comparable.

Good for dashboards, not so for information storage & retrieval. Many functions that are predefined in EN must be set up by the user there. As always it depends on the use case which app fits better.

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, Coffee First Thing said:

Does this mean that it's not possible for Evernote to add back some of the features in Evernote Legacy? 

No. There are many 'legacy' features that are scheduled to be brought back - indeed some already have been restored.

However, it doesn't mean that all the missing features will be brought back. I don't suppose that the Evernote team even knows which features are coming or going as a definite list.

• Like 2

jesus ***** christ. just realized that there is this monster of a new version. I'm hanging onto the legacy version, but who knows when they'll axe it. This was not my ideal scenario for the weekend, but looks like I have to find an alternative. what a bunch of *****. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Evernote user since 2009. I have 29k notes. It's January, 2021, and I'm starting to check out Notion. Version 10 of Evernote is such a huge disappointment. Stripping away features that have become a core of my personal system was a horrible move, and I may have lost my trust on the company.  😞

• Like 3
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I understand I can take that step back, but that won't guarantee a clear path moving forward. 

I remember when the first version of Evernote for Windows came out. It was built on WPF, which shortly ever release was proven to be the wrong choice. They rebuilt the tool from scratch on a different tech stack. I don't remember having to take any massive step back at the time. This recent update, though, this is a huge step back. Given the number of features that are gone, and know clear roadmap moving forward, I have to seriously consider looking out to alternatives, as much as I dislike that idea.

4 hours ago, lassala said:

I understand I can take that step back, but that won't guarantee a clear path moving forward. 

I remember when the first version of Evernote for Windows came out. It was built on WPF, which shortly ever release was proven to be the wrong choice. They rebuilt the tool from scratch on a different tech stack. I don't remember having to take any massive step back at the time. This recent update, though, this is a huge step back. Given the number of features that are gone, and know clear roadmap moving forward, I have to seriously consider looking out to alternatives, as much as I dislike that idea.

I think there's a very clear roadmap going forwards---carry on adding the features found in the legacy desktop apps to the v10 client. The legacy app will still work fine in 20 years from now---Evernote isn't going to change their API just to spite all of the paying customers and companies who use the legacy app.

By the way, why do you call using the legacy client "a step back"? If it has functionality that the v10 client doesn't have, then it's not a step back, is it?

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, ehrt74 said:

The legacy app will still work fine in 20 years from now

20 years might be a bit optimistic 🙄
I'm expecting the app to fail eventually because of OS changes

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

20 years might be a bit optimistic
I'm expecting the app to fail eventually because of OS changes

True. At some stage updates to Windows or OSX will break the binary. Both apps seem to use a lot of operating system functionality.

I am a long time, faithful Premium user, and I am very annoyed at the loss of major features from the Legacy version. I have downloaded and have been using the Legacy version since the update, but now it keeps crashing with a Runtime error.

My main complaint is with tagging. I need to be able to easily create tags and nest them. The new system is terrible. Bring those features back or I'm leaving.

18 hours ago, Scott Aniol said:

My main complaint is with tagging. I need to be able to easily create tags and nest them. The new system is terrible. Bring those features back or I'm leaving.

Can you give a bit more detail. How did you do this before and how are you doing it now? I agree that being able to create and nest tags in the sidebar was really useful. Now you have to do it in the main tags window (alt-ctrl-4 or click "Tags" in the sidebar). I personally don't see that as a huge issue, but I don't know your workflow.