The new Evernote 10 Version List of Missing Core Features

gazumped

Idea

On 10/14/2020 at 3:51 PM, Yeraze said:

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only person unhappy with the latest version.  I joined during the beta, and was willing to live with some flakiness while they worked out bugs.  Seeing that it released in this state, however, is a demotivator honestly.  I've been using Evernote daily for 10 years, both home and work.  I have a paid account, and 12,000 notes.. The missing features, the poor speed, and the general lack of stability I've seen in the Mac version has me disappointed ... I reported these issues in the Beta surveys, random empty notes requiring me to restart.. Random duplicated notes that I can't delete (Move to trash is greyed out until a restart).  Notes changing titles, the unintuitive UI changes (I can't click on the Notebook name anymore to move a note, there's a new button next to it.. Moving the Notebook & Tags to opposite ends of the notes), it's just annoying... Evernote is no longer "fun to use"

I won't cancel my account, but I won't go back to v10 until I'm forced or I see some real improvement in the system.  I'm rolling back to 7.14_458244 (Thank you homebrew)

I came here to find some support and piece of mind as I too I'm extremely unhappy with this evernote version. I simply cannot believe that after advocating every-person I knew to switch to evernote I'm now considering to leave the application myself!

I've downgraded to Legacy version now and I can honestly say that I will only miss the clean printout of note that the new version had. Other than that, I'm not even complaining about all the features I have discussed some time back with costumer support that, In one time, said it would be implemented, but in fact, never were.

I have been listing to other feedback and I might enroll in a new software in a near future. For the more experienced ones out there: What software do you recommend me that allow for the transfer of data from evernote with no issues?

I do appreciate your feedback. My kind regards

Evernote was so much better before the UI guys started to play around with it!

In the last two weeks or so I have sent a few messages (with the Send Feedback button at the bottom of the left column) about bugs or missing functions or things that got hidden in such a way that a user can't find it back. I just stumbled on another thing that suddenly doesn't work anymore. Another user (my wife) shares notes and notebooks with me and from time to time I want to move some notes to my own collection. This has always worked, but now no luck. I don't see the "move" option anymore in any menu, and if I drag and try to drop I get the message that I need permission. I have permission! I repeat myself, but please stop playing around with the user interface just because you can. Evernote was a perfectly fine note manager, but you are breaking it down! Please leave it as it was, it was perfect.

PS: I just see that this specific issue has been addressed by version 10.3 of today 🙂   

Edited by Joris G
Software as just updated
9 hours ago, Monica Esteves Reis said:

For the more experienced ones out there: What software do you recommend me that allow for the transfer of data from evernote with no issues?

I do appreciate your feedback. My kind regards

The answer isn't that clear cut. It depends how you use evernote and what platform you're interested in. Web version? Windows? Mac? iOS? Android? Also if the features you missed in this update are tied to native apps, many of the apps out there using Electron like evernote’s newest engine won't please you either.

Seeing that you’re a basic user, I’m gonna make some assumptions here. Notion or Nimbus are probably sufficient for your needs and they both have an evernote importer. Nimbus lost some of my notes during the import process however, plus the security concerns I’ve read are enough to keep me away, though many other members here are happy with it. Joplin also has an evernote importer but it again depends on what features you need and if you’re comfortable with markdown. If you’re on the mac ecosystem, then Apple Notes is an option that will cover the basics.

I think the best thing is to check out this post for yourself and find out which app suits your needs best: https://www.reddit.com/r/Evernote/comments/j87fb9/please_help_me_find_the_evernote_alternative/

I found scrolling through all the discussions on this forum helpful. Perhaps perform a forum search using certain keywords, such as apps you need more info of.

• Like 1

I have invested heavily in Evernote as my go to curation software. I am absolutely appalled at how the latest version dumbs Evernote down, including:

ability to copy more than one file at a time from one folder to another

when you copy single files the cursor stays in the target folder not the source

the software regularly fails to copy more than one file at a time

ability to create a table of contents for a folder

ability to publish folders for users to access

the program has slowed down markedly

elimination of fonts and formatting capability

and this is not a complete list - I discover new changes daily

I concur with other comments that the publishers of Evernote have taken a solid program and ruined it - for me, not being able to create TOCs in a folder and publish the folder so that others (students and colleagues) can access the entire folder instead of just one file is a game breaker - I am looking elsewhere - I have more than 25,000 notes in more than 150 folders that I have begun manually moving to Google as this version of Evernote no longer meets my needs

• Like 1

The new look is ugly. I miss Ctrl-Q, I miss the taskbar on the button bar and miss the preferences. The snippets are very ugly and too big. The sidebars are too wide, there is no place to the notes. For some reason the spell checking is on and i can see red underscores everywhere randomly, even in links. This new version is an exvellent example of how to f**k up something which has worked fairly good.

Same here.

Very, very, VERY disappointed.

I just upgraded to Version 10.
"Evernote 10.3.6 is currently the newest version available."
And I face lots of issues.

1. My device-specific shortcuts are gone.
On my office laptop I had different shortcuts than at home. Now I see the shortcuts from my home PC on my office laptop:
--> Please recover my local shortcuts

1. My screenshot hot-key is gone.
I cannot make screenshots any longer. My custom defined hot-key does not work.

1. The "options" are gone
So I cannot change any option
--> Please bring back the options

1. The "Sync" button is gone
--> Please bring back the option to manually sync

1. Automated enumeration (when I type "1.") is enabled, while I disabled it in v.6
As there are no option, I cannot disable this behavior again.
--> Please recover ALL my settings from v.6

1. The new editor is *****.
The cursor jumps up and down undeliberatly. The auto numbering gets interrupted, or not (see this list acutally)
--> Please provide a usable editor

1. The navigation pane on the left is in dark mode - and cannot be changed.
--> Please make the background=light configurable

1. The navigation pane is filled with unremovable information I don't want/need, limiting the display of my notes to about 40% of the height.
Especially the "+new Note" button uses a lot of space (height)
--> Please make the navigation pane configurable (enable/disable: "prev/next page arrows", "Account", "+new Note", "Recent Noes"...)

1. When I click on a link, it is no longer opened, but starts some kind of edit mode.
--> Please return to the old behavior (left-click: open; right-click: context menu)

1. The URL defined in "note info" is no longer accessible.
Now I first need to bring up the "note info" window, then click on the "open" icon.
That's most awkward

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s166/sh/ba4c0b30-c14f-7a63-a341-ccb370eddbb5/17d21904e85b20c43c3156462b31b777

Not sure what the team was thinking in terms of removing such important features like the shortcuts bar.  User experience is everything.  I quickly reinstalled the older version.  Evernote also lost my trust a bit since I blindly did the update.  This wasted a lot of my time this morning. 

• Like 1

It took me all of 5 minutes to give up completely on the new version. Links have become a horribly inconvenient mess for crying out loud. How can you release a new version where using links is a mess!? Links! It's unbelievable.

I'm staying with the old version. If Evernote tries to force me to use something as horrifyingly bad as this "new" app I will go looking for another service to use. This is completely unacceptable.

• Like 2

I'm horrified that this has been released as a finished version. The whole thing is so slow and buggy. I use a lot of links and move notes between notebooks as I process work. Both features are so slow that I can't use the product. I've downloaded the legacy version and will need to setup my toolbars etc and hopefully I can work through that. I can't seem to find a way to have the shortcut toolbar on legacy. is it possible? This is anothe feature I use a lot 

4 hours ago, Oisin75 said:

I can't seem to find a way to have the shortcut toolbar on legacy. is it possible? This is anothe feature I use a lot 

I don't have the legacy just the original 6.25.1. From the menu is it not just view -> shortcuts -> show in toolbar?

On 11/3/2020 at 11:12 PM, Mike P said:

If you mean the different header styles you can do this with markdown type formatting. #, ## or ### followed by a space. Works really well.

I was happy to discover this. Unfortunately however, although the whole purpose of these updates is supposedly to homogenize the experience across platforms, Markdown shortcuts like # and ## don’t work in iOS.  Why????? Again it seems like homogenizing is more about easing developers lives regardless of the impact on users.

• Like 1

What a total disaster that the tab button on the new Evernote for Mac indents the whole paragraph. Who was the genius behind this disaster? Plus the new Evernote doesn't sync properly. I have downgraded to Evernote Legacy but am now looking for a new product.

• Like 1

Totally bummed. I've been loyal for almost a decade but with crazy new sync issues and a whole new unfamiliar and less useful product I'm thoroughly disappointed. Real bummer. I can't believe I'm about to say this. Gulp. I have no choice but to switch to a OneNote. I need to know my work is safe.

UPDATE: ----------------------

Sigh... after an exhaustive search and a genuine effort with OneNote, and a few others, I'm back to Evernote. Even though Evernote is seemingly struggling with these recent updates,  I am once again reminded why I can't let them go. The features are still second to none, even though they ignore and even flat out defy our feature requests.

I've decided to exclusively use the web versions on all devices (even mobile requested desktop site via Safari which is brutal. But at least my work seems safe and synced. The iOS and native apps just wont sync so I've dumped them for the time being until they can get it together again. 

I love you Evernote! I hate you Evernote! 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, DavidWS said:

What a total disaster that the tab button on the new Evernote for Mac indents the whole paragraph. Who was the genius behind this disaster? Plus the new Evernote doesn't sync properly. I have downgraded to Evernote Legacy but am now looking for a new product.

I actually like that behaviour, if you want a tab for the first line only, then type space and then tab

I just looked at some other apps and they all have one thing in common with the V10 - they use the same standard web style fonts.  This is one thing that I feel really set V6 apart from the others, having way more control over formatting your notes by being able to use fonts I have installed on my computer.  I'm still using V6 because of this (and other reasons).  I just installed the latest V10 and it's getting better but still miles away from V6.  I get that one code set probably makes things easier for them and "it's what everyone else is doing" but now V10 is just another note taking application with nothing to make me want it over the rest.

Evernote, at what point do you stop the bleeding?  I'm paying a lot each year for this app.  If V10 doesn't match V6 in features and you make it so we can't use V6 I'll have to find something else - which would really suck because of the 20 I just looked at I didn't like any of them more than V6.  I find it very sad and frustrating that the company isn't giving us any kind of comment and appears to think everything is cool and people are happy.  sigh...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I completely agree with all of the posts above.  V10 is not Evernote.  It may say Evernote, but it is not the Evernote that I have grown to depend on.  I have around 8K notes and use Evernote every day.  The new version has eliminated so many features that I am now considering switching to another app.....just have to find the right one.

I have been a premium subscriber since late 2011.

Any suggestions on where to take my business?  OneNote didn't look like an option.

Thanks,

Brian

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Brian G M said:

V10 is not Evernote.  It may say Evernote, but it is not the Evernote that I have grown to depend on. 

I see Version 10 as a new product being developed by Evernote   
This differs from the Legacy product which I'm using

Like Coke Classic and New Coke

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Brian G M said:

Any suggestions on where to take my business?  OneNote didn't look like an option.

There are already lots of comments and suggestions posted on the forums.  Depends on your needs and pain points.  

12 hours ago, bigtelco said:

I was happy to discover this. Unfortunately however, although the whole purpose of these updates is supposedly to homogenize the experience across platforms, Markdown shortcuts like # and ## don’t work in iOS.  Why????? Again it seems like homogenizing is more about easing developers lives regardless of the impact on users.

Homogenizing is a good thing actually. It makes experience consistent and end result is we should be more productive. 

But this is where I think Evernote missed the point on homogenizing. You're supposed to homogenize by use case. In this case, there are 2 types:

1. Mobile class - IOS / Android - More for consumption

2. Desktop class - Windows / MacOS - More for creation & workflow

If the above is understood clearly, then the decisions on what to homogenize, where and how will be consistent for the sake of end user experience and increasing productivity. 

My 2 cents. 

• Thanks 1
On 10/28/2020 at 6:40 AM, J.esse said:

Since upgrading to v10.x, I've been looking how to re-add the 'Code Block' button to the toolbar (instead of having to run through the extra step of clicking the 'Insert' button first).  Guess that answers my question.  Really disappointing that it isn't possible to customise.  I have all this extra real estate on my toolbar and the one tool I use the most, I need to go through a menu each time now, very frustrating.

Besides using markdown-esque syntax (triple backticks), you can also use keyboard shortcuts "Cmd + Ctrl + B" on Mac, and "Ctrl + Shift + L" on Windows.

With Notion gaining steam, I worry that Evernote will try to emulate them. I hope Evernote remembers what makes them different from Notion and invests in finding out what their users truly want/need. 

These are missing features that I've noticed in Evernote Mac. (I realize this thread is categorized as Evernote Windows, but since this thread has the most traction, I'm posting here). 

FEATURES MISSING IN EVERNOTE MAC 10

• The ability to open Evernote note links in a new window
  • Touch bar integration
  • Tabs
  • "Cmd + R" shortcut to reset search
  • Local notes
  • "Ctrl + Shift + V" to paste plain text
  • Simplify formatting 
  • The ability to use installed fonts
  • The ability to use any color for your text

Without preferences, I can't adjust the settings to my liking. The text in my notes got smaller. I'm not a fan of the list view text getting bigger. I feel like there's less real estate for my tags in the sidebar. But I can get used to the little UI changes. I've also noticed some improvements. I've also noticed bugs, especially with search and sort by. I hope major bugs get ironed out soon and major features get implemented soon :( 

Also, I can't believe we're limited to 5 reactions a day. I've been liking comments, and boom! I get a "you have reached your reaction limit" message.

• Like 3

For a productivity app, you need way too many clicks. Shame on you, Evernote.

NOW LET'S FINALLY PICK AN ALTERNATIVE.

I had some decent candidates when before the new CEO, the Evernote had sync and speed issues. It's time to exit this indian-style-of-working and stop accepting productivity loss as a way to go. 

I just paid my annual subscription, so plenty of time to migrate my data. Unhappy me, they don't deserve my money anymore.

Prompted by today's emailout, I've just given V10 another go – before immediately going back to the legacy version. I've got no problem with software changing, but the restriction placed upon fonts is just insane.

It's as if a choice of fonts isn't considered important because it's merely an aesthetic thing. But when you work with words, all day every day, the way they look is fundamental to your ability to process them. This isn't about making notes look pretty, it's about usability. I'm not even asking for anything beyond the standard Apple web palette (Arial, Georgia, TimesNR, Verdana etc). Baffling!

• Like 3
On 10/12/2020 at 3:27 PM, MarcSant said:

While we encourage everyone to give the new Evernote app a try

The new version is the indian-style-of-work. You need way too many clicks.

EVERNOTE

IS NOT A

PRODUCTIVITY APP

I was not able to rename a tag or delete an unused tag in the new version. I could not do it in Windows, or Android or web versions. The windows version was:

v 10.3.7 build 2018 public
Editor: v111.0.14414
Service: v1.22.6
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

On 10/12/2020 at 6:52 PM, 4d4m said:

I've been an Evernote user since 2012 and a premium subscriber since 2014.  I use the Mac client (v7) on my work machine, two home Windows machines on 6.25, my phone (iOS) and iPad Pro.  I've been using Mac at work since July and been loving the dark mode.  The functionality seems to have some odd omissions versus the Windows client but nothing I couldn't live with.  I came to this post after googling for the copy/paste issue from Outlook, which for a while I thought was user error (I've been getting used to MacOS keyboard shortcuts) or a setting.

So I didn't even know there was a v10 version until googling.  I got excited for a minute or two... then I started reading the feedback and got worried. 

I've got 3700+ notes , about 3000 of which are work related.  I'm very concerned about the time and effort involved in migrating them to another platform, and the cognitive effort to get used to it.  I just don't have the time for that right now!  A while back I tried to migrate to OneNote due to restrictions on my old Win 10 work laptop, and it was a disaster.  The import mangles the notebook stack/notebook/note structure and doesn't do multiple tagging!   

So I'm now thinking I'll have to find something else.  I'm yet to find something that meets my requirements.  Having recently paid my yearly subscription I've now got just under a year to research and switch.  UNLESS some of the things I'm reading here change!  No local notes?? That's ridiculous! My internet is pretty good but if I couldn't refer to my notes during an outage it would be disastrous!  The web version is ok as a backup if I'm on a different device but isn't a suitable platform for the main reference.  This might be the kick I needed to spend some time rolling my own.

We migrated on Joplin and all ok. Now we are looking for more modern tools. WE are checking on clickup and nimbus.

This is all very disappointing in the extreme.  After at least ten years as a loyal Evernote customer, paying them good money, this feels like a lack of gratitude and respect from Evernote.  I am looking at other options.  Notion?

1 hour ago, Peter2040 said:

This is all very disappointing in the extreme.  After at least ten years as a loyal Evernote customer, paying them good money, this feels like a lack of gratitude and respect from Evernote.  I am looking at other options.  Notion?

Hi Peter2040.  I am a Notion user, but it is not a real replacement for Evernote.  It isn't great at pulling information from the real world and transmitting it back to the real world.  It is excellent at outlining, storing and manipulating content created inside the app.

If you are all-Apple, I have found the new Apple Notes to be very good.  If not, MS OneNote is the closest option.  Neither is as good as what Evernote "should be", but both are superior to what Evernote have released here.  Ugh.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Daniel KT said:

Homogenizing is a good thing actually. It makes experience consistent and end result is we should be more productive. 

But this is where I think Evernote missed the point on homogenizing. You're supposed to homogenize by use case. In this case, there are 2 types:

If the above is understood clearly, then the decisions on what to homogenize, where and how will be consistent for the sake of end user experience and increasing productivity. 

My 2 cents. 

1. iPad is now a content creation device too.

2. If you go to restaurant, you expect homogenizing for having cutlery (fork, spoon...), waiter, and menu card. However, you expect different dishes and also different "layout" of menu, rooms, etc. In Chinese restaurant you also expect chopsticks. Moreover, each class of restaurant may have a bit different kind of plates - adequate to style...

My 2 cents. 

DanielKT, I agree with your point about designing software to exploit the unique capabilities of the device and software architecture.    iOS, especially with the addition of keyboard support to the iPad, a now occupies a space very close to "Desktop Class" and for some functions, like annotation, iOS actually exceeds the capabilities of the desktop platform.   Example: In Apple Notes I can format docs, create tables, view pdfs in-line inside a note, annotate pdfs, and photos with the Apple Pencil,  and draw and diagram effectively,  I can move items up and down in an outline or in a list. (OneNote for iOS has similar capabilities) I use this functionality all the time.    I can do virtually none of these things in the "new" Evernote.    The things that Evernote used to do better than anyone else: Tagging, Annotation, Scanning,  and OCR are now not unique-- competitors are doing them effectively.   

While other apps, including OneNote, Bear, Apple Notes, Notion and others are striding forward in leveraging the new capabilities of iOS, Evernote's "update" so far is a giant step backward. Evernote no longer identifies search results inside a pdf., scanning is slower, tagging is changed,  annotation is virtually impossible,  and the system is buggy and it lags and often freezes.  

The workflow, storage capabilities and search capabilities of Evernote should have allowed them to outdistance competitors.  Instead of just fixing the well-known problems of the Evernote editor, they have become internally focused on making everything "the same" and, I fear, they are a few advances by competitors away from becoming completely irrelevant.  Homogenizing is great if you are in front of your competitors in terms of features on all platforms-- not so good if you are homogenizing toward the "least common denominator" (aka a "web app").  

Just now, bigtelco said:

Hi Peter2040.  I am a Notion user, but it is not a real replacement for Evernote.  It isn't great at pulling information from the real world and transmitting it back to the real world.  It is excellent at outlining, storing and manipulating content created inside the app.

If you are all-Apple, I have found the new Apple Notes to be very good.  If not, MS OneNote is the closest option.  Neither is as good as what Evernote "should be", but both are superior to what Evernote have released here.  Ugh.

My 2 cents. 

• Like 5

Evernote need to launch an Evernote Classic (the old version) and Evernote Whatever (the disastrous new version) and wait a few years for users to make the switch. That's what other companies do. Isn't it strange that Apple can launch a new OS and basically everybody loves it (yes, I know there are Big Sur downloading issues) and also knows what the point of all the changes was. Does Evernote think that its challenges are more complicated?

• Like 2

Agree with all of this stated.... seems like I go through this every year or so, and this is the worse version yet.  About two years ago, I had a bug where you couldn't see selected text at all.  It changed from the bright blue it always was to a very dim blue virtually invisible.  6.12 or somewhere.  They never really fixed it and now never will with v10.   I just rolled back to that version, since this is a nightmare.  I loaded it and couldn't believe things like a dictionary and formatting were so messed up.

Other trivial things like two dashed lines (line breaks on the page (all the way across)) now have about an inch of space in between them...    I guess we're the victim of rewrite the product from scratch and make a completely new list of what's included and how it works.  OMG....

I downloaded the new version, and have uninstalled it and gone back to my last version.

I hope they decide to  add back the Local folder. I want to have a folder that is not out on the internet where I can have my long list of passwords and my private financial information. I have organized my notes extensively with Tabs, and the new version didn't look very "tab friendly".

On 11/6/2020 at 7:32 PM, DTLow said:

I'm still using the Evernote Legacy product    
I don't think I have to make any decisions at the present time

The point is none of us know when Evernote will pull the plug on Evernote Classic, that’s the problem, they could kill it without notice today, break the sync and we’re done. 

Evernote are you trying to scare me away??? There was nothing wrong with the Windows Evernote app!

I've been using Evernote for a very long time. But whoever is running this company, is running it in the ground...... 

The new version, is missing so much functions. Why every release this? I reinstalled version 6 and now i have to resync a very large database. Not a happy paying customer!

On 11/11/2020 at 3:30 PM, DTLow said:

I see Version 10 as a new product being developed by Evernote   
This differs from the Legacy product which I'm using

Like Coke Classic and New Coke

If you go to the Coca-Cola museum in Atlanta, you will see that New Coke was a colossal, legendary and epic fail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can no longer:

• sort notes from a saved search by reminder time (believe it or not, that was a useful feature to me)
  • paste the clipboard to Evernote using a global keyboard shortcut (I now have to open the quick note dialog and paste there)
  • see whether Evernote is actively syncing content
  • edit reminder time with two clicks - it now requires three: click the alarm clock, click edit, click the new time

None of these problems are showstoppers for me but I am reverting to v6 for as long as I can as it still feels a bit more productive for me. I may run them side-by-side for a while though, just to explore the new product more before deciding for sure.

Absolutely astonishing state of play. I've been a user of EN since 2011 and have liked it as a whole, even though I have only required it from a very basic perspective, with no desire for all the extras (browser plug-ins/clippers etc). As a basic note-taking app for a software developer, it was ideal to save snippets in code blocks and still be able to (i) switch to assorted monospace fonts, and (ii) apply some formatting, colours and highlighting. Therefore, a pop-up to upgrade to a "V10" was viewed as a nice surprise, but not nearly as much of a surprise as having to lose the following two hours of my life implementing a "legacy version" when I realised such a "basic" requirement had vanished!

Some thoughts on the iOS clipper feature in the new version.

1 - sharing a web page to evernote there is no option to add a tag anymore - which is a real time saver - (it was always a annoyance that you could not add new tags in the mac share element) - I know you can add new tags in evernote but why when you don't meed to open it

2 - Items clipped to evernote do not do anything - you have to pen the evernote app to import recent clipped items - why since the app knows they are there why not process them in the background as you used to do. It makes it too hard and I don't have time to launch evernote and tag everything after I may have saved it days earlier.

3 - I am staying as I am on the mac version in case this horror of UX is also going to happen on the new mac version

Eaglefiler (Mac) or Bear are options as alternatives but my library on evernote is massive now

I have only just begun to use the new version... but my heart is sinking.

I wondered:  How much longer can Evernote hold on against Microsoft?

And now, instead of being clobbered and destroyed by Microsoft, in efforts to "keep up" it seems as if they are clobbering and perhaps destroying themselves....  SO SAD. 

Not a promising beginning to my experience.... at all... :(

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Gfwtgfwr said:

I have only just begun to use the new version... but my heart is sinking.

You might be happier using the Legacy product    
I consider the Version 10 product a work in progress, not ready for general use

• Thanks 1

Just upgraded this morning to version 10 after a notification from Evernote. It took me about half an hour to realise this was a BIG, BIG MISTAKE.

For my workflow it is ESSENTIAL to use import folders. But that is not possible anymore. I should have read this topic first than I would have known... Furthermore I cannot set customized shortcuts anymore.  And there is probably more but I didn't bother to waist time investigating.

Being a long time user for more than a decade I am very, very disappointed by this upgrade.

Thank God there is a legacy version!

On 10/10/2020 at 8:33 AM, MarcSant said:

Just turn off your Ethernet adapter and the program will not show notes anymore.

I was able to confirm this by turning off Wi-Fi.

Then started browsing notes and realized that some were blank and would display a message saying Download incomplete.

My impression is that the upgrade process does not actually upgrade your local DB, but actually starts downloading all your notebooks content to rebuild a new DB.

U N B E L I E V A B L E !!!

A few minutes ago I installed the new version and was shocked.

No Import-Folder, no horizontal list view, no Sync Button, no option menu , no short-keys ... 

I am using Evernote Premium since 2013 ( 3500 notes and over 4 GB Data) no doubt it was the best archive for all the digital stuff I have.

I went back to the "legacy" App 6.25 and will give it a try when the basic features are available in the new version.

I do also agree with this topic here. Just uninstalled version 10.3.x and installed the legacy version again.

Way too many things just not working or missing in the new version. Poorly released to the public.

• Performance is just poor on Windows
  • Filtering by Tags just not working! So whole tagging not working and useless!
  • No fonts anymore!
  • Encryption and editing of encrypted text not available anymore
  • Shortcuts and actions missing
  • etc.

Sorry Evernote, this was a poor job to paying members. Hoping you will pay attention to your customers and fix things soon!!

• Like 1

Other points that did not work:

- Unable to export notes from commandline since enscript.exe is no longer part of the installation

- Links to local files on windows machine do not work any more

I went back to the legacy version!

• Like 1

Agree with what has been said, a retrograde step, losing so many features.  I use this for my business.  I chose EN because of the power tools for Windows desktop users, and had best chrome clipping tool when I compared ages ago.  PITA that I now need to compare the market again.

What's really bugging me right now is not being able to quickly (at all!) hide the Notes List (used to be able to do this via F11 but now not working).  Also I use with Snag-it and the EN plug-in now not working since this update.  People just want to get on with their work.

• Like 1
On 14.11.2020 at 01:41, Gfwtgfwr said:

I wondered:  How much longer can Evernote hold on against Microsoft?

What's good about microsoft? To-do? So it is also no good. I experienced it when I finished my underlist. Complete nonsense! The only thing that keeps me on evernote so far is the calendar reminder integration.

Can the new versions of Evernote be a little less America-centric, or at least allow us to tweak the settings? I want to set the beginning of the work week to Monday, not Sunday (I used to have the ability to do it in the old version) and the default work start hour to 8:00 AM. I am unable to write some of my native languages letters, like "ś" (one of the crucial ones, by the way), because the new version does not allow me to change the shortcuts (or at least the function to do so is holed somewhere in the app and I am unable to find it).

The new grammar checks allow me to only use the language of my installation. This seriously is a drawback, as I use Evernote to write notes in two different languages. Also, what happened to the custom dictionary? I use a lot of telecommunication engineering lingo (from two different languages) that is not incorporated to the default languages settings.

Evernote used to be able to start minimized and run in the background, right after the Windows boot-up, this functionality disappeared as well.

Honestly, the new version has a really beautiful design, but I'm sure, that this re-imaging was not worth dropping so many essential features.

• Like 2

Here's my list of things I've noticed so far (Windows - v10.3.7):

1. Note names do not appear in note windows or Windows task bar. 
  2. Search does not change cursor position - so when press Esc to cancel search - cursor should be on found text, but is still in original position so if you press a cursor key, you jump back to your original text position. You have to click on the search text to move the cursor there.
  3. Check boxes have changed - so you can't add the same checkbox as ones in existing notes - but they are still there in your existing notes. I used to use multiple checkboxes on the same line - but can't do that now (unless I copy/paste it from an old note). Only one checkbox per line - and the line gets crossed out when you tick it. Why? I've ticked the box - I don't need you to cross the line out for me too
  4. Spellcheck - can't add to personal dictionary / not using previous custom dictionary where already added words
  5. Control + M for indent only works when cursor at start of line. Worked at any position in line before
  6. Control + Shift + Space to clear formatting doesn't work any more but listed as not available in new version now
  7. Control + Space for simplify formatting should be supported - but doesn't work

Did anyone test this before it was released? Was there not a list of changes/functions that would no longer work published?

Please get this back to at least the same functionality with the previous version!

I just can't understand why Evernote has been messed up in the latest version (10). It was working fine for me, several features I was using regularly have now disappeared, the interface is hardly configurable any more. "Local files" is no longer supported. No more sorting by ANY of the columns, etc...

This ridiculous "upgrade" has caught me in the midst of an important project, causing me difficulties to find my notes. I'm furious about the amount of time I've wasted trying to understand and configure the new version, only to discover that it was hopeless, and then to find an earlier "normal" version, and to install it and then reconfigure again. I think they've lost track of what it means to have a steady, stable and reliable tool that can be accessed quickly and intuitively. Have they hired a team of game makers to replace professional application designers? They're converting Evernote into a useless toy.

Is this finally the rise and definitive fall of Evernote?

P.S. I couldn't find previous versions on the Evernote site, but I found this other site, where I downloaded vn. 6.25.0.9084, checked it for virus with my Kaspersky (it was clean), installed it, and unclicked automatic updating in "options".

• Like 3
On 10/10/2020 at 1:17 PM, obront said:

Version 10 has crazy painful losses compared to prior Version 7. key things to my workflow are removed

command J "Switch to ...." to navigate to a different folder  ... GONE!

command T, "New Tab" to open another view allowing quick switching ... GONE!

mac service "Add to evernote" to allow a mac finder file automatic creation of a note .... GONE!

the app is slower, particularly when add pics or attachements to notes.  and there is no indication of sync status.  all this is just from my first initial use, i quickly returned to the legacy version that still thankfully works. if they don't allow that to continue (or it breaks) i will be looking for a new app. this is terrible

Dear Evernote all this and more are wrong with the new update!!!

• Like 1

We are all thinking about moving. How many will actually do so? Exporting involves compromises even if you totally love the destination site. I suspect many people will stay with EN, just with a hugely inferior experience. It may catch up, but most of us have doubts.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, davidtderrick said:

We are all thinking about moving. ...I suspect many people will stay with EN

I'm staying with the Evernote Legacy product
Will look at moving to the Version 10 product when the required work is completed - it will be an easy move

1 hour ago, davidtderrick said:

We are all thinking about moving. How many will actually do so? Exporting involves compromises even if you totally love the destination site. I suspect many people will stay with EN, just with a hugely inferior experience. It may catch up, but most of us have doubts.

I've received some excellent references from a couiple of friends about "Nimbus Notes". There's an "Evernote import" option, that I've been told works seamlessly. I'm checking it out right now: tags, multilevel folders; Android, Windows and web versions; web clipper, offline content, etc... And half the price! It looks like a good replacement so far. I'll be doing some testing over the weekend. I've already wasted a lot of time trying to configure/personalise Evernotes "upgrade", and then downgrading after discovering the mess they've mad of this so-called "upgrade". I'm now trying to catch up with my schedule.
Evernote for me is now dead. Over the years, I've had to reinstall it 3 times. Over a dozen hang ups when synchronising, database corrupted on 4 ocasions, stopped working on several ocasions, and the best of all, their support has been absolutely hopeless: they've never solved anything for me - just a complete waste of time, trying to make me run around in circles. So much for the "special support" for "Premium" users.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
28 minutes ago, IanHinton said:

There's an "Evernote import" option, that I've been told works seamlessly.

Not so much.  I tried a test with 565 notes, 553 made the journey.  And the formatting on some notes was borked.  Not quite ready for prime time in my view as compared to 6.25 Windows version.  Maybe okay if 10 doesn't get any better.  Lower price for the same grief.

3 hours ago, IanHinton said:

I've received some excellent references from a couiple of friends about "Nimbus Notes". There's an "Evernote import" option, that I've been told works seamlessly. I'm checking it out right now: tags, multilevel folders; Android, Windows and web versions; web clipper, offline content, etc... And half the price! It looks like a good replacement so far. I'll be doing some testing over the weekend. I've already wasted a lot of time trying to configure/personalise Evernotes "upgrade", and then downgrading after discovering the mess they've mad of this so-called "upgrade". I'm now trying to catch up with my schedule.
Evernote for me is now dead. Over the years, I've had to reinstall it 3 times. Over a dozen hang ups when synchronising, database corrupted on 4 ocasions, stopped working on several ocasions, and the best of all, their support has been absolutely hopeless: they've never solved anything for me - just a complete waste of time, trying to make me run around in circles. So much for the "special support" for "Premium" users.

I've been considering switching to Bear or Nimbus for six months now. I can say the following about nimbus: 1. There is no integration of reminders with the calendar. It is very important. 2. The client for macos is unstable and starts from the third or fourth time. And maybe, like now, it won't start at all. Always asking for a reboot. How it will work with 500, 1000, 5000 notes I don't understand at all. 3. When trying to import all notes from Evernote, it hangs at 4 percent overnight. I wrote in support and nothing. 4. No integration with spark. No gmail integration. I use this very often. 5. It is not possible to automatically create notes from letters redirected to an internal address like in evernote.

I just got a reply from the helpless customer support, stating:

First, I'd like to let you know that we haven’t built the following features into the new Evernote app:

·         Options menu

·         Personalize keyboard shortcuts

·         Screenshot hot-key

·         Disabling the automated enumeration

·         Sync button

·         Enabling the light mode of the left navigation menu

·         Disabling the edit dialog

These features are on our to-do list and we plan on building them soon.

How... how can well established features get neglected in an upgrade?

"Unprofessional" barely describes such an approach :(

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Docalicious said:

Сделал ли Evernote какое-либо заявление, чтобы успокоить толпу вилами? 

It seems to me that they do not care and they do not care what and who thinks!

How do I simply navigate to "MY NOTEBOOK LIST"? All I want to do is see a list view of all of my Stacks and Notebooks and rename, re-organize/move notebooks to different stacks, and create + delete stacks. This seems SO BASIC. It should be a shortcut, and (or at the very least), live under the VIEW menu.  

Now the only way I can find to get to this overall list is to create a brand new notebook. 

Am I missing something?! I shouldn't have to spend 30 minutes looking up help articles to figure out how to do this.

Two years waiting for the shiny, new, ultrasonic, super-duper, rebuilt-from-scratch EN, and we get this. Absolutely amazing. Maybe the competition had infiltrated some of their own designers to kill this product? This is truly a case study. It'll probably be the basis for an upcoming book: "How to kill your product - for dummies".

BTW, in view of the enormous tsunami of complaints that EN is getting all over the internet, I'm surprised that the CEO is not facing the music and making an announcement of any sorts. Maybe he's too busy looking for a new job?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Like many here, I too am disappointed. It seems like the changes have been done mainly for people using smart phones. 
I'm a writer. I need all the formatting goodies and they've disappeared. 

I'm an Evernote power use but less technical than you guys are. 
Here are my pet peeves:

• If you quit Evernote, the notetaker gizmo on the desktop closes too. In the past you could still take notes on the thingie even if Evernote was quit. 
  • The simplified formatting?? I can’t choose the fonts I want. + they dropped the dividing line that I used ALL THE TIME to separate content in huge long notes (mine are over 50 pages long at times). 
  • The search tool is on the top left? not user friendly at all. You should put it back on the upper right side like all search bars. 

Maybe we only have ourselves to blame. I didn't want to be a Beta tester. Not enough of us have agreed I believe and it gives that. 

I'm scared of reverting and lose some stuff. I'll wait and see. 

Maybe I'm just loathing change. 

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Koandco said:

The simplified formatting?? I can’t choose the fonts I want. + they dropped the dividing line that I used ALL THE TIME to separate content in huge long notes (mine are over 50 pages long at times). 

The horizontal line is still there.  In the upper right is a + blue button for insert, and one of the options is a horizontal line.  Concerning the limited fonts, they reduced it to a number that can be supported on all platforms consistently.  In prior Evernote versions there were complaints on fonts changing depending on which device they were viewed on.  I think this is a case of you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.  For v10 they decided on the limited but consistent approach which is ok for me but I do understand others would prefer more font offerings.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Koandco said:

Like many here, I too am disappointed. It seems like the changes have been done mainly for people using smart phones. 
I'm a writer. I need all the formatting goodies and they've disappeared. 

I'm an Evernote power use but less technical than you guys are. 
Here are my pet peeves:

• If you quit Evernote, the notetaker gizmo on the desktop closes too. In the past you could still take notes on the thingie even if Evernote was quit. 
  • The simplified formatting?? I can’t choose the fonts I want. + they dropped the dividing line that I used ALL THE TIME to separate content in huge long notes (mine are over 50 pages long at times). 
  • The search tool is on the top left? not user friendly at all. You should put it back on the upper right side like all search bars. 

Maybe we only have ourselves to blame. I didn't want to be a Beta tester. Not enough of us have agreed I believe and it gives that. 

I'm scared of reverting and lose some stuff. I'll wait and see. 

Maybe I'm just loathing change. 

Sorry you are having so may problems, you have plenty of company. 

But No, don't blame yourself. There were many Beta testers-- I was one.  I can assure you that many of the issues you see, and dozens of others were brought to the developers' attention and were not addressed before this horrible thing was released.  I too used the dividing line, there is a shortcut--  just type three dashes and hit enter, and voilá, you get the solid line.  In addition, on the desktop version you can type a "#" or "##" or "###" and get large, medium and small headings.   It would be great if at "launch" Evernote actually provided users with a guide to what had changed.  Many, many user hours are being wasted because of this poor communication.  

I am much more concerned about the lethargy, instability and bugs in the new version.  Yesterday I annotated a pdf I had saved months ago, just by highlighting a passage and saving.  The entire pdf disappeared and is unrecoverable!  There were lots of things I didn't like about Evernote, but the things that kept me were:  1. It was super fast on my Mac and iOS, and 2.  In numerous years of use, it never lost any data.     The developers have tried to address some of the other shortcomings, but in the process have made the app buggy, slow and unreliable.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
14 hours ago, bigtelco said:

It would be great if at "launch" Evernote actually provided users with a guide to what had changed.  Many, many user hours are being wasted because of this poor communication.  

Completely agree. Many people have completely missed the things that have now moved to the insert menu. Also there are shorcuts (like the three dashes you mentioned) for nearly all of them which I haven't seen clearly documented anywhere, although some were available in the legacy version. For the record:

``` for a code block (bonus: `inline code`)

[][][]x3 (3x3 table) ([] is open square close sqare bracket)

[] for a checkbox provided it isn't at the beginning of a line

• Like 1
On 11/20/2020 at 9:25 PM, Julia R said:

How do I simply navigate to "MY NOTEBOOK LIST"? All I want to do is see a list view of all of my Stacks and Notebooks and rename, re-organize/move notebooks to different stacks, and create + delete stacks. This seems SO BASIC. It should be a shortcut, and (or at the very least), live under the VIEW menu.  

Now the only way I can find to get to this overall list is to create a brand new notebook. 

Am I missing something?! I shouldn't have to spend 30 minutes looking up help articles to figure out how to do this.

That's the beauty of the new version! You spend well over half an hour trying to find out where they've hidden one of the features you regularly use, only to discover that it no longer exists. Welcome to the party!
You now have two options:

a. You stay with EN, in the vain hope they will try to fix the mess they've created (which I very much doubt). And in the meantime, you downgrade to the previous version (mentioned in previous posts).

b. If you're fed up of all the problems that EN has created in these last 2-3 years, then it's time to migrate to another platform, which many of us are now researching.

On 1/15/2018 at 6:59 AM, CalS said:

Try doing a File - Exit from EN and restarting EN.

I am a business user of Evernote. I bought the subscription only because of presentation mode and now this feature is not available in my windows version. Need to export my notes now and switch to a better alternative. 

• Level 5*
On 11/24/2020 at 1:42 PM, Kunal Malhotra said:

I am a business user of Evernote. I bought the subscription only because of presentation mode and now this feature is not available in my windows version. Need to export my notes now and switch to a better alternative. 

Your choice.  You can continue to use the older version of EN until/if this feature is added back or the older version is sunsetted.

What I find really annoying is that I can't search within a note. For example, If I search for "proverb", I know I have it at least 23 times in my note, yet, it says no results, yet they,re all highlighted in my notes but it will not bring me to the results. The arrows don't work either. 
Surely this is really a bad flaw? Especially since it's a premium feature. Am I searching wrongly? 

• Like 1

I got to Nimbus using this appsumo promotion.
Import is not seamless as someone said. But well.
I like it much better then EN, but also, there are few things I am missing from EN, at least from the legacu version. Speed, flexible text width (text wraps with the window width), and some other.
Unfortunately, I still sometimes have to use EN, mostly because of EN's fleixible text width as I often split screen between EN and some other apps (zoom, word, etc).
Too bad, I did like EN.

Version 10 is a hot mess. I have installed legacy, but I'm not confident they won't pull access to legacy before fixing all the issues with version 10. Because of that, I'm seriously looking at transitioning the three accounts I use away from Evernote into Onedrive/Onenote. I get that Evernote wants to innovate, but you can't step backwards on your power users. This is a joke. 

• Like 2

I reverted to the legacy version - good - but on reboot, new version installed itself again!  Bad!  NOT HAPPY WITH THIS!!!  Poor Evernote.  I feared this very good quality program couldn't last...  Everything will be owned by Microsoft eventually.... :(

On 10/11/2020 at 6:53 PM, lisec said:

I'm as pissed as everyone else, and really angry at Evernote for putting out this version without FULL details (surely they must have expected this blow-back), BUT, now that they have their 2 years worth of work leveling out the playing field across all platforms, which is what they said their intention was, I'm still willing to hang around for a bit and wait for all the missing features to be implemented. I mean at the end of the day, their BIG mistake was to put this out now instead of waiting until all they implemented all the features. So I'll hang on the older version and give them a bit of time to do their work. Yes, the screwed up big time with this, but it really was just an error of releasing too early. At least that's what I hope.

As so many others have said, the of v.10 has totally destroyed my workflow. The scramble to continue using EN v10 is making my days very long.. I've relied on EN so long that I don't have a clue where to start looking at potential replacements. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated though I cringe at the idea of moving my work group elsewhere -- I fear we will loose so much information.

• Like 3

My current approach is simply revert back to v6.25.1.9091 (the last version before they change to v10), if you still have a copy. If I use the v10, my workflow is destroyed, like you.  I have lots of lots of frustration very now and then, bad for health, bad for productivity/efficiency.

I am happy with v6.25.1.9091 for now, till my subscription ends Jun 2021.  If the v10 can catch up with all (or most) of the features in v6 that my workflow can restored.  Then I will renew he subscription.  Else I will stop.

In the mean time, start looking for alternatives.

If you don't have the old copy v6.25.1.901, you can use the legacy copy (refer here : https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314).  I think it is v6.25.2.????.  It is about the same, I think.  Just the ugly grey elephant.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

no longer support the classic version any time soon, then what will we do?

I missed the "any time soon",  but regardless    
the Legacy product is working well for me in the present    
I have no concerns in the present

I backup my data; I have not experienced data loss, but I know I can recover

Before Legacy sunsets, I will switch to a new product    
Work on Version 10 will have advanced, and may well be the product I chose

52 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

We care about your data, the actual users of Evernote classic, but new Evernote have proven by their total lack of feedback to this shocking terrible “upgrade” they don’t care one jot for your or my data. We are just tiny numbers in their bigger picture that count for literally nothing. I feel betrayed and de-valued, stupid of me I suppose to think for one second I was important as one of their long term paying customers. 
Their silence is deafening. Version 10 is unusable and they glibly say they will no longer support the classic version any time soon, then what will we do?

You are not alone. Actually Evernote has ignored ALL kinds of users since no users can have a stable and usable app to use. The recent limiting devices has pissed off many free users to Notion as you can see their voices on Twitter.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I missed the "any time soon",  but regardless    
the Legacy product is working well for me in the present    
I have no concerns in the present

I backup my data; I have not experienced data loss, but I know I can recover

Before Legacy sunsets, I will switch to a new product    
Work on Version 10 will have advanced, and may well be the product I chose

As EN hasn't really given a timeline of when they will remove v6.25, I have also started backing up my EN notebooks regularly. Someone had mentioned Backupery so I looked into it. It will only work with Evernote V6.25.1 and lower - they tell you it won't work with V10. Besides running an automatic backup, you can specify all or only certain notebooks and whether you ALSO want to do a back up in HTML The default backup saves ENEX files.

My just-in-case backup backup plan...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Colleen O said:

running an automatic backup ... Backupery

Backupery is a good product and works well with Evernote Legacy   
Personally, my backups are automated using an AppleScript (Mac)
 Daily incremental and Weekly Full using Evernote's export feature (HTML format)

13 hours ago, Gfwtgfwr said:

I reverted to the legacy version - good - but on reboot, new version installed itself again!  Bad!  NOT HAPPY WITH THIS!!!  Poor Evernote.  I feared this very good quality program couldn't last...  Everything will be owned by Microsoft eventually.... :(

After reverting to legacy version, did you disactive the "autoupdate" option? (click on: Tools > Options > General > Automatically check for updates).

• Level 5*
On 11/23/2020 at 2:20 PM, IanHinton said:

And in the meantime, you downgrade to the previous version (mentioned in previous posts).

I'm still using the Legacy product, and have no issues     
The Version 10 product is a work-in-progress; not ready for general use.  I'll consider switching when the work is completed