The new Evernote 10 Version List of Missing Core Features

gazumped

Idea

Adding tags to a note by using the search below a note could be better.

Example: Name of the tag is ":waiting". 

Problem: If you type "wai", the search below the note will not propose the tag ":waiting"

But the global search and the search in the tag-area on the other hand will.

2 hours ago, mczin said:

Adding tags to a note by using the search below a note could be better.

Example: Name of the tag is ":waiting". 

Problem: If you type "wai", the search below the note will not propose the tag ":waiting"

But the global search and the search in the tag-area on the other hand will.

The search at the bottom of the note is more of a type ahead than a true search so you do need to start with the correct character. 

The other option for adding a tag is to use the edit tags box. alt-ctrl-T if you are in the note list or note -> edit tags from everywhere. Here you do get a true search. However there is no option for a simple alphabetical list so you need to find the tag within your tag hierarchy if you have one. 

image.png.7786340dd444376166e17bd39ce8ced9.png

20 hours ago, avevers said:

All this proprietary format stuff is really making me reconsider markdown as a suitable storage format now. And this idea won't work for a lot. I'm more about text, images, attachments and OCR. Less about the styling.

I'm beginning to wonder about a note editor which only really deals with MD format. And also piggybacks on existing mature cloud storage as the backend, single source of truth, from which syncs are performed.

Some note platforms will take an attachment you drop in, upload it to the cloud (Dropbox , Drive etc.) and replace the attachment portion of your note with an embedded link. It's still markdown at the end of the day.

That is exactly my thinking as well.  I've never liked using anything proprietary but I have, a lot, and have always had to get out at some point, losing data or having to take screenshots of the data. I never learn my lesson. Evernote is/was so perfect for my needs: text and images and attachments and links all in one note. Cross platform. Searchable. But I was concerned about the single exb file or enex file exports. And I despise what exporting to html does to my local folder/file structure. If only txt files could include images and attachments and easy local links! That would be my dream come true. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Rentgius said:

After 7 years of love, i have my heart cracked... this version ***** my work effort.. I can´t believe this new version... worst ever

You can stay on the old version and see what gets fixed.  That's my strategy for a bit.

• Like 1
On 10/11/2020 at 6:01 PM, gazumped said:

Yup.  I have a 25GB+ database.  If I update and install the legacy version it looks like Evernote will eat 50GB+ of my storage space for the 'hidden' v10 store and my public 6.25 EXB. 

gazumped: can you clarify something for me? Does this increase happen when you install both legacy and v10, or does it also happen when you install legacy on its own?  

5 minutes ago, lisec said:

gazumped: can you clarify something for me? Does this increase happen when you install both legacy and v10, or does it also happen when you install legacy on its own?  

I'm not Gazumped - but can tell you - on Windows anyway - that both of these are separate - if you're running Legacay and don't want to play with v10 - uninstall and you should only have the Legacy database remaining.   In my case, I have a 38gb database - I have the entire database downloaded in Legacy and v10 also downloads the entire database - so I have 76gb of space used up with Evernote - if I remove either Legacy or v10, I'll drop back to 38gb used. 

Legacy and v10 databases are completely separate and completely different database formats. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

if you're running Legacy and don't want to play with v10 - uninstall and you should only have the Legacy database remaining.

Ok. But if I install legacy it only installs legacy, right? It doesn't  auto install both legacy and v10 (after which I would have to uninstall v10)?

1 minute ago, lisec said:

Ok. But if I install legacy it only installs legacy, right? It doesn't also auto install both legacy and v10 (after which I would have to uninstall v10)?

Legacy appears to be completely stand alone and not attached to v10. 

3 hours ago, lisec said:

That is exactly my thinking as well.  I've never liked using anything proprietary but I have, a lot, and have always had to get out at some point, losing data or having to take screenshots of the data. I never learn my lesson. Evernote is/was so perfect for my needs: text and images and attachments and links all in one note. Cross platform. Searchable. But I was concerned about the single exb file or enex file exports. And I despise what exporting to html does to my local folder/file structure. If only txt files could include images and attachments and easy local links! That would be my dream come true. 

Well I know that testing any alternative is really going to take some time, as I probably overanalyze software.

Movingto something else though has got to be worth it though. @lisec - you might want to check out Obsidian. I've read very good things about it, but I've not explored it much. Simple Notes and Nimbus are both on my radar also. I already use Notion but, for me, it's just not there yet.

3 minutes ago, avevers said:

@lisec - you might want to check out Obsidian. I've read very good things about it, but I've not explored it much. Simple Notes and Nimbus are both on my radar also. I already use Notion but, for me, it's just not there yet.

I'll take a look, but honestly I think that Evernote was the last proprietary thing for me (aside from email). If I get out, I'll stay out. I'll revert to old school with txt and jpg and a good file explorer/search engine, or maybe some database that keeps my files where they are but just displays them in a pretty way. 

• Like 3

Simple Note caused a lot of problems when I used it last year, it was very bad at updating and always crashing.

I really was happy to be with Evernote, far more reliable.

I'm hoping Evernote 10 will be fixed.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, lisec said:

I'll take a look, but honestly I think that Evernote was the last proprietary thing for me (aside from email). If I get out, I'll stay out. I'll revert to old school with txt and jpg and a good file explorer/search engine, or maybe some database that keeps my files where they are but just displays them in a pretty way. 

Obsidian only works with markdown files; from my (limited) understanding, it's a front end to those files but with sophisticated linking and graphing technology overlaid. This is why I am interested in MD - you can take those files anywhere without necessary exporting (as you'd have to do with Evernote) - you just need an editor and a viewer to present it. Heck - a normal text editor to edit it and a browser to present it would suffice. But these MD clients offer more than just editing or rendering. Things are missing from Obsidian though - OCR, native mobile apps etc.. Depends on what you're looking for or what matters. For me, I use most if not all of Evernote's features, so right now Obsidian doesn't cut it in that respect. Just like Notion doesn't. But they're fascinating products nonetheless. 

11 minutes ago, avevers said:

Obsidian only works with markdown files; from my (limited) understanding, it's a front end to those files but with sophisticated linking and graphing technology overlaid. This is why I am interested in MD - you can take those files anywhere without necessary exporting (as you'd have to do with Evernote) - you just need an editor and a viewer to present it. Heck - a normal text editor to edit it and a browser to present it would suffice. But these MD clients offer more than just editing or rendering. Things are missing from Obsidian though - OCR, native mobile apps etc.. Depends on what you're looking for or what matters. For me, I use most if not all of Evernote's features, so right now Obsidian doesn't cut it in that respect. Just like Notion doesn't. But they're fascinating products nonetheless. 

This sounds promising... there might be an independent way to OCR, and as for mobile, I'd probably be happy just to use a sync service (google drive, dropbox) to have access from anywhere...

• Level 5*

oh the drama in here...

If the feature you really need isn't supported on the new apps then stay on the legacy apps until it is or until you know it definitely won't be or until you've found another better option that meets you use case.

There won't be any refunds, they aren't going to stop developing v10, they'll ship the features that give them the most bangs per buck the quickest.

• Haha 1

Mobile apps for Obsidian are coming apparently but as you say, you can use a combination of apps to replicate a lot of EN's functionality (OCR, sync etc. - heck, even GitHub for a note's version history). Sync all of it, some of it or none of it. They're just files in folders.

I think one should think of the desktop as the main Obsidian client (with the plug-ins and bells and whistles); other markdown viewers and editors are used on other platforms (mobile, web etc.) with reduced functionality. But it's all still markdown.

Here's Obsidian's roadmap:

https://trello.com/b/Psqfqp7I/obsidian-roadmap

The new Evernote for Windows is missing some of my most used features, especially Import Folders and the ability to layout the screen the way I want it. I have read many of the other comments about the changes and I agree that the changes in functions was way too drastic. I will be switching back to version 6 if I can.

@Metrodon might be true but also a good UX and Product team would definitely pay attention to what the users are saying in threads like this. These aren't just people venting for no reason, they're listing specific issues and the reasoning for why they're important. I work as a VP of UX and we definitely would want to know things like this and would take the time to investigate further to see where we maybe misstepped and how to reconsider our near-term roadmap. The last thing you'd want is to piss off a bunch of paying users and just hope they don't find your competitor...

On 10/10/2020 at 10:56 AM, mi_cha said:

I`ve just installed the new v. 10 and I just couldn't believe my eyes: oh, no, they kept most of the horrible beta version they realeased a few weeks ago!

I would't call it an upgrade. I see it as a new concept, a whole new design - and they turned the back to old customers, simple as that.

I spend 90%> of my computer time at Evernote. It has been so for the past 11 years, my workflow is based on Evernote, I have thousands of notes.

They messed everything up.

My first shock (not yet recovered): they killed the local databases and syncing. Who asked me if I want to have all my notes on the cloud ALONE?

I'm collecting a list of missing functions and I'll add to this node.

For now, my statement is that the downgraded their own piece of software. They sacrified a robust desktop client in favour to an Andoid-like app: just the basics.

Not my idea of a note taking software.

I made the mistake of upgrading today. It called my "Conflicting notes" folder local and gave me a choice to export it. I, too, do not like that the local database has been removed. I read a recommendation that you should avoid having two or more people work on the same note at the same time. Hello! When you work with others, this happens and having EN tag a note as "conflicting" was helpful. Most of the time I did not have to merge the note, but alerting me to the possibility that the note was out-of-sync was a plus.

I clipped a web page...and this is how I got into full WTH happened mode! I am no longer able to edit the clip. It almost looks like you inserted a picture. Did I clip it wrong? I used to be able to highlight, remove extraneous sections, add comments in between, etc. etc. (This must be payback for complaining that sometimes a web page is clipped into a single narrow column. j/k!)

EN is what I use to build a "knowledge base" (mainly) for what I do - technical support. I also keep stuff for personal use and share the work-related notebooks. When you use a search engine to research a problem, you come up with a lot of information. I go through and clip ones that seem to be a "solution". Some pages don't have complete information so we sometimes have to piece things together (either I make a notation, highlight, bold, etc) in between. I will merge notes and may summarize what worked and what didn't. This becomes a reference for future troubleshooting and with the power of EN search, we can find the note quickly.

From there, I can also create a task and send it through TaskClone to my task app. EN does not do well with reminders, but that was okay because EN focuses more on note taking and searching.

I tried to import EN to OneNote a while back. It was a disaster. Maybe I'm not good at organizing my EN notebooks, but it created a BIG mess in OneNote that would have taken a long time to fix (re-organize). Maybe I should have exported in smaller pieces??

I'm going to look at the recommendations that people have been discussing then try to see if I have an older EN version to downgrade to. *sigh*

Notion says I can get the Pro Plan for free if I use my work email. I pay for EN using personal funds and with talks about having to take a pay cut, getting something for $0 is appealing. Standard notes is also free with extended features for $2.48 per month (5-year billing cycle) or $9.99 per month. I hope there are ways to tie these in with a task app.

8 hours ago, Metrodon said:

oh the drama in here...

If the feature you really need isn't supported on the new apps then stay on the legacy apps until it is or until you know it definitely won't be or until you've found another better option that meets you use case.

There won't be any refunds, they aren't going to stop developing v10, they'll ship the features that give them the most bangs per buck the quickest.

bad if you‘re an iOS user and have upgraded to the new version - no chance to stay on the legacy version anymore

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, danielperlaky said:

@Metrodon might be true but also a good UX and Product team would definitely pay attention to what the users are saying in threads like this. These aren't just people venting for no reason, they're listing specific issues and the reasoning for why they're important. I work as a VP of UX and we definitely would want to know things like this and would take the time to investigate further to see where we maybe misstepped and how to reconsider our near-term roadmap. The last thing you'd want is to piss off a bunch of paying users and just hope they don't find your competitor...

As a VP of UX I'm sure that along with user feedback you also gather tons of metrics about how your apps are used. I'm sure as an experienced VP of UX you also understand that lots of people just hate change and they will complain about it, even if the changes are positive.

The forum makes up a tiny percentage of Evernote users, whilst the feedback is definitely interesting and useful, people shouldn't get carried away into thinking a few dozen people complaining here equals a mass exodus of users. Take a look at any of the dramatic "I'm leaving and I'm not coming back" threads on this forum and there are as many posts from users who have left and come back as there are throwing their toys out the pram.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Note Links used to work transparently - I click a link, I get the linked note.

Now, I get a small window with the link address which I have to click again to get to the linked note.

If instead, I CRTL-click the link I do go straight to the linked note but the small window remains and I have to click it again to close it.

Bottomline: note links, which I use extensively, were a one-click affair. Now they're 2-click affairs

pete

On 10/10/2020 at 4:55 PM, MarcSant said:

It's unbelievable how such a good product can turn into such a bad thing that it induces a customer from years of using the product and the platform to start a process of mass migration of their data to the competition. 

How can a company do not make a market research, a survey among its loyal customers about what they expect or not from a new version. To me, if Evernote continues like this, it really died. And there it is to look for alternatives to other products, which maybe don't have all the features of Evernote but at least they don't charge us for what they can't offer, different from Evernote which keeps charging and at the same time has removed crucial functions for me.

Let's go to the list of CRUCIAL functions that have been removed, and that for me disfigure the whole product:

- There is no way to change the color of lateral toolbar from Dark. 

- There is no way to put shortcuts list in the top of screen. It will not move anymore

- There are only FIVE Fonts. For me that store computer code in the notes, it is A TERRIBLE choice

- Desktop App is a web based one, and notes are not synchronized anymore. Just turn off your Ethernet adapter and the program will not show notes anymore. The proof is that you are able to show "developer options" that show a web page render in the right side of the screen. Another proof is you can use the old classic version side by side with the new one, so the new version 10 is not using the database files that is stored locally.

- I can't change the Interface Language. I like to use English Interface, since I can have a lot of info in foruns instead to get translated the Brazilian version to English one.

- I can't create a Notebook inside the Notebook stack as I always did. You need to first create the Notebook, then move it to stack

- I can't grab a screen capture anymore

- I can't Paste text directly to Evernote note (CTRL+shitf+V) anymore

- I can't import a folder anymore

- I can't un-stack a Notebook from a stack using right click mouse. I need to drag an drop them. 

- I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack.

Please, if you noted some another missing feature, feel free to contribute to this list.

Agree to most of your points, except that Evernote desktop is a web app. It is not. 1) Ian Small stated in an interview with Tom Solid that the desktop app has been developed from the scratch and isn't a web app. 2) Tried myself and put my laptop into the flight mode. I had access to all my notes, including notes I have never touched since I installed version 10 of Evernote. So all notebooks and notes are stored locally on your device, not internet connection required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not sure what the people in charge were smoking when they decided on the feature set, but to say this new version is a disaster for me would be an understatement. No local notebooks is a killer, right there. And no import folders and breaking integration with my old ScanSnap? Those three things are the most used features for me. I have been using Evernote since 2009 (and paying since 2010), and this is a disaster of an upgrade. As much as I hate to do it, it is time to start looking at options.

I do have some questions. I installed the new version, but stopped it when it wanted to convert my local notebooks (there are reasons why they are local). I promptly uninstalled it again and reinstalled the Legacy version. Are there any other steps I need to do to clean up? There was some discussion earlier about the double storage used when running both versions, but I am not sure if uninstalling the new one clears that up.

As a software designer, it is blindingly obvious that you do not just remove major features like these. I can't imagine their thought process.

• Like 2
On 10/10/2020 at 9:55 AM, MarcSant said:

- I can't grab a screen capture anymore

oh man, this is a bummer. This is was the single thing I used the most. Why would they do this?

Suggestions for other note handling apps where to migrate my stuff?

I like that this is a refresh but no presentation mode is a massive miss for me.

I do not want to migrate to another note taking app - I've been a premium user for a number of years, but I am now forced to look elsewhere and potentially cancel my subscription.

Improve the underlying structure all you want - but list what you are removing from this new release somewhere (and perhaps give a short reason why!). 

Thanks

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

imho: For all the reasons one can conclude Evernote is managing their software platform migration exceptionally well and their current top-of-the-line production release (version 10) is extremely useful and functional, there are also many reasons others can conclude Evernote has mismanaged their software platform migration and have let loyal customers down given the high bar Evernote has set in the past.

We don't need to convince each other which is the "right" conclusion--we can agree to disagree and agree that it's all subjective based on each of our uniqueness as individuals and how we use the product. We can individually decide to "stick with" Evernote and see where things end up, or jump ship if we feel that's what's in our best interest. 

With everything going on I'm not sure sparring over how we see the current Evernote situation should be on the top of anyone's priority list. 

Again, just my opinion. 

Be well and stay safe! 

_____/ Regards,   

____/ al      

12 minutes ago, dcon said:

v10 is an Electron app

Generally speaking, are electron apps slower than native desktop apps that we had been used to before? Generic question to understand the electron apps better and whether I should just prepare myself for slow apps?!

What are the limitations to the electron apps and the advantages?

5 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

Mine is painfully slow!!! I have tried it on a remote desktop, local machine (laptop), local desktop at home....and all 3 is below my standards. The lag is beyond noticeable. I can understand it won't be instantaneous but if I am waiting for note the go away after I moved it to a different notebook, that is an issue for me.

My next question then is why is it so different for many users? Is it the number of notes? 

And since the legacy app works fast on the same computer, I would conclude that there is an issue here aside from the performance or the capability of the PC.

It is strange how it is affecting so many users in so many ways, I honestly cant answer that but I hope the EN devs are looking at it. It has to be more than PC hardware as one person posted about bad delays and they were using a pretty well spec'd machine. Maybe there is a link between content size and performance, I don't keep a large number of notes in it anymore after moving mainly to OneNote so that may be why my experience is not as bad as yours. I have seen users mention they have 50k notes etc so it would be good to get some performance comparisons from those. And maybe the size of the note content itself also plays into it.

How much RAM and CPU is being used on your machines with EN running, and have you tried monitoring it as you navigate through different notes/notebooks?

• Like 1
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, Colleen O said:

I clipped a web page...and this is how I got into full WTH happened mode! I am no longer able to edit the clip. It almost looks like you inserted a picture. Did I clip it wrong? I used to be able to highlight, remove extraneous sections, add comments in between, etc. etc.

Check and see if there is a gray box/border around the clip. If so, click on its top bar. There should be a "magic wand" icon offering to make the material in the box editable. Doesn't work 100% of the time, but almost always. The Web client has been doing this for quite awhile, and so it has come to the desktop programs.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Tone Engel said:

In addition to those I had time to find in what's already been posted, here are a few more:

• Insert date/time used to allow the format to be specified. It is no longer useful as I need to use it. Keyboard shortcut was also changed.
  • Indent and un-indent keyboard shortcuts are gone. Guessing MANY other shortcuts are gone.
  • Preferences being reduced to one flag "Save Data at Log Out" is just an enormous slap in the face of anyone whose workflow has benefited from previously available options.

Here is the list of KB shortcuts for the Windows program, with a handy (and pretty dismaying) comparison table with "older versions": https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004807. It claims that Ctrl+[Shift]+M still work to [un-]indent. Here is an announcement post, which lists some (not all) of the features not yet implemented (preferences is one of them, so apparently will be coming back) and "no longer supported": https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047889234.

WRT specifying date/time format, I seem to remember having to do that at the Windows system level, which ought to still be possible; at any rate, it's not in the v. 6.25 preferences.

2 hours ago, DMiddleton said:

How much RAM and CPU is being used on your machines with EN running, and have you tried monitoring it as you navigate through different notes/notebooks?

So when I am on the local desktop, it is consuming the most memory for sure, right now as I type this it is taking up the most memory and I am not even doing anything in it.

I attached screenshots from it while, I was moving a note, or assigning tags.

Local Desktop.png

Local Desktop 2.png

Local Desktop 3.png

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Check and see if there is a gray box/border around the clip. If so, click on its top bar. There should be a "magic wand" icon offering to make the material in the box editable. Doesn't work 100% of the time, but almost always. The Web client has been doing this for quite awhile, and so it has come to the desktop programs.

Thanks for the tip but I have reverted to a version that I had the download for (6.19). Back in my comfort zone and a little less stressed but am testing migration to ON today - it's taking a while to import one set of notebooks (800+ notes) -  and looking further into other possibilities, though there is no equivalent.

If I discontinue EN, it will require a lot of change and adaptation on my end and I do not look forward to that.

Hoping that EN is listening and anxious to hear what they decide to do...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DMiddleton said:

And these are on the remote desktop which has way more processing power and memory than my laptop of course. Again takes up the most CPU compared to anything that is running. This does not look normal to me but I am not the expert here at all.

102852518_RemoteDesktop.png.a924575198bf304cb4cb0211d99974dc.png458450348_RemoteDesktop2.png.31a1b7e3ba3c5b110ed334fd2adbae7f.png

Hi All,

The version 10 has been pushed into my Mac this morning and I am surprised to see the handy options are gone! There is no right to left language support anymore! So, all R2L docos are useless now. Any suggestion for an alternative solution?

8 hours ago, AlexAtx said:

Ugh, I use screen capture all the time!  It's just GONE.  This is a very important feature in my work!  Would have liked to know about removing functionality prior to upgrading.

Is there a work around?

In the coming soon section of the release notes it says

- Write quick notes and clip screenshots with the Evernote Helper companion app. (Mac - Click the Evernote icon in your menu bar. Windows - Right-click the Evernote icon in your system tray.)

Meanwhile I am using the Gadwin Printscreen utility and simply pasting in to a note. I can't stop it saving the picture to my HD as well but I just periodically purge the unwanted files.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, TK0047 said:

So when I am on the local desktop, it is consuming the most memory for sure, right now as I type this it is taking up the most memory and I am not even doing anything in it.

Local Desktop 2.png

It may be worth raising this with support and sending them the same screenshots as that seems pretty high, in comparison mine is using almost no CPU resources while viewing a note.
image.png.d597053d55486361255c5e1d8bcda57e.png

A

• Like 1

I am missing the code formating {}

In Evernote 10 there is a workaround: to copy an existing code-formattied fragment and to change its contents. But is is rather clumsy.

The following problems:

{}, PrintScreen, Spellcheck and only web based DB

are showstoppers for me.

20 minutes ago, psv said:

I am missing the code formating {}

In Evernote 10 there is a workaround: to copy an existing code-formattied fragment and to change its contents. But is is rather clumsy.

The following problems:

{}, PrintScreen, Spellcheck and only web based DB

are showstoppers for me.

Does insert -> code block not meet your needs?

The markdown shortcut ``` also works. And best of all you can now do inline code using a single back tick before and after.

image.png.a005d2d8fa2fc6d3aef3afdb7c1a9bca.png

On 10/21/2020 at 7:10 PM, Mike P said:

The search at the bottom of the note is more of a type ahead than a true search so you do need to start with the correct character. 

The other option for adding a tag is to use the edit tags box. alt-ctrl-T if you are in the note list or note -> edit tags from everywhere. Here you do get a true search. However there is no option for a simple alphabetical list so you need to find the tag within your tag hierarchy if you have one. 

image.png.7786340dd444376166e17bd39ce8ced9.png

@Mike P Thank you for your answer.

It looks like ALT+CRTL+T opens that menu only if the curser is positioned in the title of the note. 

So, one has to do several steps to open that menu.

I Hope that Evernote changes the ahead search at the bottom of note-area (and moves the tags back to the top of the notes).

On 10/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, Kolmir said:

. . . 

However, maybe we can do more, for example like all users of EvN will stop paying subscription at once or contact investors or maybe consider class action lawsuit? 

Next, they'll insert ads for non-premium users. . .  we know how this goes . . .  ads based on note contents. . . 

• Like 1

Something I didn't like either in the previous version, but wasn't so grave as one luckily had the chance to customize things, is the conversion of "- + space" into a bullet point.

I am pretty sure this isn't a big deal for some people, but I write long lists and I don't want to have to change the bullet point into a dash manually each time.

This is the reason why customization matters, so people can find the most comfortable way that works for them.

This forced feature sure is irritating as hell, and I'm sure fixing it won't even be a full day of a progammer's job

Unfortunately I upgraded to Evernote Version 10 yesterday.
This was a big mistake 🤬

• The performance is a disaster
  • Why have the tags moved to the footer? Back to the top!!!
  • Why is there no menu for settings anymore?
  • Where is the Sync button?
  • Why can't I turn off the spellchecker? I have many German and English texts. All English texts I edit are completely underlined in red because my Windows is set to German.
  • I have many snippets/links from websites. Why is the "Go to source" button no longer available, but only after clicking on the web clip?
  • When I want to edit a "Web Clip" or just mark it, the formatting is almost always shot to pieces with "Simplify and make editable".

• Like 1
On 10/22/2020 at 1:58 PM, eddyj said:

I'm not sure what the people in charge were smoking when they decided on the feature set, but to say this new version is a disaster for me would be an understatement. No local notebooks is a killer, right there. And no import folders and breaking integration with my old ScanSnap? Those three things are the most used features for me. I have been using Evernote since 2009 (and paying since 2010), and this is a disaster of an upgrade. As much as I hate to do it, it is time to start looking at options.

I do have some questions. I installed the new version, but stopped it when it wanted to convert my local notebooks (there are reasons why they are local). I promptly uninstalled it again and reinstalled the Legacy version. Are there any other steps I need to do to clean up? There was some discussion earlier about the double storage used when running both versions, but I am not sure if uninstalling the new one clears that up.

As a software designer, it is blindingly obvious that you do not just remove major features like these. I can't imagine their thought process.

It was a staggering decision. Even if they intend to restore those missing features, what a way to not communicate them in advance. A textbook example of what not to do.

• Like 4
On 10/11/2020 at 8:53 PM, lisec said:

I'm as pissed as everyone else, and really angry at Evernote for putting out this version without FULL details (surely they must have expected this blow-back), BUT, now that they have their 2 years worth of work leveling out the playing field across all platforms, which is what they said their intention was, I'm still willing to hang around for a bit and wait for all the missing features to be implemented. I mean at the end of the day, their BIG mistake was to put this out now instead of waiting until all they implemented all the features. So I'll hang on the older version and give them a bit of time to do their work. Yes, the screwed up big time with this, but it really was just an error of releasing too early. At least that's what I hope.

My version got automatically updated, do you know how to go back to the old version?

3 minutes ago, Apolino said:

My version got automatically updated, do you know how to go back to the old version?

1. Click here Version: 6.25.1.9091 (thank you CalS for providing this link)
  2. Click on the "Download" button at the top right
  3. It may download "OperaSetup.exe" first, but don't run it, and simply ignore it, it'll eventually download the older version
  4. Run the install
  5. You'll now have both versions available to you

Personally, I'm going to keep both versions active so I can check in on the new version periodically to see if they're changed anything.

• Like 1

I can not figure out how to look at a list of overdue reminders.  I have had issues with drag and drop and the response is slow.

I hate to be one of those people who cuss out new versions but...  I'm going to spend some time this weekend looking at OneNote.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Apolino said:

Something I didn't like either in the previous version, but wasn't so grave as one luckily had the chance to customize things, is the conversion of "- + space" into a bullet point.

I am pretty sure this isn't a big deal for some people, but I write long lists and I don't want to have to change the bullet point into a dash manually each time.

This is the reason why customization matters, so people can find the most comfortable way that works for them.

This forced feature sure is irritating as hell, and I'm sure fixing it won't even be a full day of a progammer's job

It was possible to turn this feature off in the previous version, by unchecking automatic formatting in the Note section of Options. Maybe when app preferences come (back) to v. 10, this will also reappear.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, AlexAtx said:

Ugh, I use screen capture all the time!  It's just GONE.  This is a very important feature in my work!  Would have liked to know about removing functionality prior to upgrading.

Is there a work around?

Hi, and welcome to the forums. According to the release notes for v. 10.1, "coming soon" is an "Evernote Helper" that will include this feature:

Write quick notes and clip screenshots with the Evernote Helper companion app (Windows - Right-click the Evernote icon in your system tray)

18 minutes ago, ScottSimmonds said:

I can not figure out how to look at a list of overdue reminders. 

Didn't you always have to do this with advanced search syntax? The reminders are now in a seperate tab in the notes view and show all reminders which have not been completed, but obviously some are not yet due. Or you can search for something like

reminderTime:-50 -reminderDoneTime:*

which will find all reminders for the last 50 days which have not been completed

On 10/22/2020 at 7:38 PM, richtpt said:

Another thing that is driving me nuts is the line spacing.  It's about double what it was.  I make my font as small as I can read so I can fit as much as possible in the window, but with V10 I can't get that much in the window.

Oh yes, I only see about 40% of the notebooks in the left sidebar if you compare it to the legacy version--now I have to scroll a lot more to get to a notebook, it's very cumbersome.

On 10/22/2020 at 12:38 PM, Vigilante said:

Agree to most of your points, except that Evernote desktop is a web app. It is not. 1) Ian Small stated in an interview with Tom Solid that the desktop app has been developed from the scratch and isn't a web app. 2) Tried myself and put my laptop into the flight mode. I had access to all my notes, including notes I have never touched since I installed version 10 of Evernote. So all notebooks and notes are stored locally on your device, not internet connection required.

Hi, I had different experience, but before I list all of them I would like to mention:

I fould the folder, where could be the local database stored. (Fantastic for local backups!) Please help me to prove it:
"C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\conduit-storage\https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evernote.com"
(I have never seen any folder named this way "https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evernote.com") anyway:

1. The Evernote 10 does not modify the database files used by legacy version — which means, that it creates its own local database or cache.
  2. When ethernet turned off, the notes I did not visited yet were unreachable. Only the headlines, no content. The content appeared after switching ethernet back on.
  3. Once visited, the note appears instantly when opening again later.
  4. The note I am opening for first time with Evernote 10 takes longer to load — it is obviously downloaded from the cloud. Which brings me to the next point:
  5. How the syncing works? Do I have to click to every single note to get it localy? Even after a few hours of EVN 10 running it was the same. In old version everything was downloaded to the local database.
  6. The folder with the database which I am mentioning above contains a SQL file which get bigger after each time when another note is opened and downloaded — as described in point 4.
  • Like 1

2 more capabilities that are missing from the Windows version (I'm not referring to the browser-based version)...

1.  Cannot make "View as attachment" the default for .pdf files.
2.  Cannot force a sync.  (So, when I go back and forth between computers, I don't know if I'm looking at the latest version of a note.)
3.  Cannot search within the currently viewed notebook  (not the entire database, and not just the current note)

Plus this error:  Cannot delete a notebook!!!

...Art Lieberman...

On 10/23/2020 at 4:17 AM, TK0047 said:

Local Desktop.png

Local Desktop 2.png

Local Desktop 3.png

I experience the same. Evernote has being using much system memory , left my remain memory little for my other apps 

3 hours ago, artlieberman said:

3.  Cannot search within the currently viewed notebook  (not the entire database, and not just the current note)

If you start in a notebook (which seems logical if you want to search it) and click the search bar, immediately below the input area is the name of the notebook (in very faint gray) and the words add filter. If you click add filter your search will just be in that notebook.

image.png.ea38c3107edfe6c80b0b7405c7753e85.png

3 hours ago, artlieberman said:

Plus this error:  Cannot delete a notebook!!!

The easiest way to delete a notebook is to use the three dots menu in the main notebooks window which you get to by clicking the notebook icon in the sidebar. This gives you a number of options including deleting the notebook. 

1614120386_ScreenShot10-24-20at06_39AM.JPG.21f8494b663e188684177b7fd4b795d3.JPG

• Level 5
21 hours ago, Bill Young said:

V10 You are going in the wrong direction. 

21 hours ago, Bill Young said:

V10 You are going in the wrong direction. 

Indeed. If V10 was a Train, Plane or Automobile we'd be looking for stand-ins for John Candy and Steve Martin! :)

• Haha 1

No language can describe my utter disappointment with a company SO F'ING POORLY RUN that they would put out software like this.  ALL C-level officers should immediately resign.  You are obviously incompetent.  This is a disaster of your own making.  PUT 6.25.1.9091 UP somewhere official where we can download and install the F*ING WORKING VERSION OF THIS SOFTWARE, YOU JACKASSES!  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Brian Stoner said:

No language can describe my utter disappointment with a company SO F'ING POORLY RUN that they would put out software like this.  ALL C-level officers should immediately resign.  You are obviously incompetent.  This is a disaster of your own making.  PUT 6.25.1.9091 UP somewhere official where we can download and install the F*ING WORKING VERSION OF THIS SOFTWARE, YOU JACKASSES!  

You can find 6.25.1 on filehippo.com. 

I have read through most of the notes from this thread.   One thing which I agree with completely is the reality that the Evernote team handled this transition very poorly and most of all they released to production version the BETA that was NOWHERE NEAR finished and ready for replacing the 6.25 Legacy version.   I have gone back to the Legacy version and am waiting hopefully for the Evernote team to fix all these problems listed below.

For me the central deficiency is the inability to edit the Create Date and Time, which is crucial for me in how I use Evernote.   I use it for both business and personal applications and cannot imagine having to migrate to another platform.   I have looked at the alternatives, and the truth is that none are as good as the Evernote Legacy Platform.   By far, Evernote is better and more reliable in its Legacy version.

I agree wholeheartedly with the justification of the Evernote team to embark on this project.  But whoever took the BONEHEAD decision to move from Beta to Production Version 10 out to be at the least demoted, if not outright fired.   With the number of reliable, faithful users you have, how could you have failed so miserably to handle this transition more successfully?  We need Version 10, but not the one you have given us.   Go back to the planning / drawing board and figure out how to bring Version 10 up to speed with the Legacy version and then improve it.  We do not want to lose any critical features from the Legacy version.

So it's in your hands, Evernote Team.   And Evernote management, take hold of this project and assure us that the responsible party for managing this transition does better than he or she has done so far in releasing version 10 before it's ready.  We are depending on you to save the platform and not to diminish it in the name of simplification of the platform.

• Like 4
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, Brian Stoner said:

These are primarily user-to-user forums, so you are only swearing at other people who are (mostly) also disappointed. Honestly, no offense, but it's kind of like the guy at the sports bar who curses out the manager and the star players and the team ownership while glaring at his fellow disappointed fans. Since you have a Premium subscription, you have the privilege of swearing directly at Evernote support. They at least get paid to read it.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

I am sure he will get 3 automatic proposals first to deal with his ticket.

Like „Bang you head against a wall“, „Join a bunch of zen monks to find your inner light“ or „Participate in the ice bucket challenge“. Maybe I should start to use insulting language in my Support tickets as well. The 3 proposals I get are always pretty dull stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, sorry if I mention points that have already been mentioned. And excuse my English, I'm not a native speaker.
I'm also speechless about this good-looking pile of junk Evernote presented us with version 10. I also installed the legacy version directly. The user interface may be a bit more fancy and slimmer than before, but I don't get much out of it, when for me basic functions of my (previous) favorite productivity machine are suddenly missing! I'm really very surprised how they can think that nobody would miss these features:

1. no more possibility to "pin" the favorite notes in the top bar for quick access - this disturbs my workflow enormously!
2. in the old version I recently made the effort to give the titles of my notebooks in the notebook list different colors, which made the whole thing much clearer. Now the colors simply disappeared!
3. personally, I found the separate field for the titles of the notes very handy - especially because now the formatting of the titles is also dictated.
4. no more adding notebooks via context menu. Why?
5. waste of space when displaying the notebook list by a field for changing the account, which is probably unnecessary for more than 90 percent of the users
6. no more own settings menu to make user-defined adjustments
7. apparently no more searching inside of notebooks? Only global search or search within notes?
8. it is claimed that the new version runs more smoothly, but the opposite is true for me: When I switch to another note, it often hangs!
9. without the Syncbutton I can't decide anymore when to synced! What is this?

• Like 1

A catastrophic upgrade!!!!!
How could you?

Since 2009 i am using EN on all my devices. This is the worse version ever!!! Just useless because everything is just GONE!! ...and it is soo slow!!

How is this possible?

Very, very , VERY disappointing!!!!!!! and on top of that VERY annoying for Evernote!!

But EN does not seem to care... otherwise they would have a fix already...!

23 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

These are primarily user-to-user forums, so you are only swearing at other people who are (mostly) also disappointed. Honestly, no offense, but it's kind of like the guy at the sports bar who curses out the manager and the star players and the team ownership while glaring at his fellow disappointed fans. Since you have a Premium subscription, you have the privilege of swearing directly at Evernote support. They at least get paid to read it.

In every ticket I have recently sent to EvN support many links to forum were included. Moreover, I got answers referencing those discussions. So they read them 😉

• Like 1

I have been using the paid version of Evernote since 2010 (Windows and MacOS) and I have over 5000 items in the database. I took me a while to configure EN the way I needed it to be.

Now, I do fail to understand the motivation behind ***** something up so badly as it was done with the new EN version. Cui bono?

Basic functions have disappeared. Six ugly fonts, when hitting <Crtl-A> in a notebook only 50 entries get selected. "Preferences" does not work any more. No manual sync button, no sync upon signing off. Just look at nonsense error message below.

What goes on the head of a CEO crippling the product of his company in such a manner?

No point in complaining or threatening but I want TO HEAR WHAT EVERNOTE HAS TO SAY about this. Are you moving forward with V 10 or cutting your losses?

My subscription expires soon. I created a trouble ticket to inquire but you’d think they would just come forward and let everyone know what their plans are.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Colleen O said:

No point in complaining or threatening but I want TO HEAR WHAT EVERNOTE HAS TO SAY about this. Are you moving forward with V 10 or cutting your losses?

My subscription expires soon. I created a trouble ticket to inquire but you’d think they would just come forward and let everyone know what their plans are.

Hi. I've been an Evernote user/customer since October 2010. 10 years. I cancelled my subscription today. At some point, you just stop letting a software provider treat you like trash.I suggest everyone do the same.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, MaratR said:

Hi. I've been an Evernote user/customer since October 2010. 10 years. I cancelled my subscription today. At some point, you just stop letting a software provider treat you like trash.I suggest everyone do the same.

July 2012 for me but my renewal is November. I still have the EN notebook. Back then, you got 3 months free when you bought it. I remember giving a couple notebooks as gifts so friends could try EN.

• Like 2

Absolutely awful.  No longer a useful product.  

What are advanced users of Evernote switching to?  Can be a local piece of software (since a user can chose a cloud service for backup).  

• Level 5
2 minutes ago, Badge said:

What are advanced users of Evernote switching to?  Can be a local piece of software (since a user can chose a cloud service for backup).  

I've downgraded back to version 6.* of EN for now, but did look at and was impressed by Notion. 

• Level 5
1 minute ago, bswiss56 said:

I moved back to Evernote 7.x - deleted the horrible Evernote 10. Reinstalled Evernote 7.x. All datas are back!

Everything is fine and as expected again now!

I thought 6.25.2.9198 was the last version prior to the #SAD Version 10; Do you have a link handy for downloading EN 7.x? 

Thanks. 

PLEASE, FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, GIVE EVERNOTE A CHANCE TO APOLOGIZE AND IMPROVE. I have been using Evernote since 2011, happily. The last release gives me, like many other fellow users, multiple headaches. A lot of our favorite features are gone. Some new features are not user friendly. Performance is slow. PR was poor. Yes, it should have stayed in beta mode much longer. This holds also true: Evernotes basic intentions for this total make over are legit and logical. They just had to escape the dead end street. Potentially Evernote is still the best organizer out there. I understand the anger and frustration of my fellow users but I encourage everyone to give Evernote a chance to improve version 10. Please, after venting your frustration, give Evernotes developers a break and feed them with detailed, constructive user feedback. I suggest, if possible, you fall back on a recent legacy version. Still superior to the latest Notion, OneNote and others.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oden said:

PLEASE, FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, GIVE EVERNOTE A CHANCE TO APOLOGIZE AND IMPROVE. I have been using Evernote since 2011, happily. The last release gives me, like many other fellow users, multiple headaches. A lot of our favorite features are gone. Some new features are not user friendly. Performance is slow. PR was poor. Yes, it should have stayed in beta mode much longer. This holds also true: Evernotes basic intentions for this total make over are legit and logical. They just had to escape the dead end street. Potentially Evernote is still the best organizer out there. I understand the anger and frustration of my fellow users but I encourage everyone to give Evernote a chance to improve version 10. Please, after venting your frustration, give Evernotes developers a break and feed them with detailed, constructive user feedback. I suggest, if possible, you fall back on a recent legacy version. Still superior to the latest Notion, OneNote and others.

I'm not so sure about your last statement. I, like many others, am very disappointed with this latest version. I have installed the Legacy version, which seems to be a workable solution for now. That said, I did also sign up for a free trial of Notion. All I can say is, "wow." It's very, very good. Is it perfect, no, of course not, but it seems to have many of the features that Evernote took away in V10. It also has a lot of other really interesting features that Evernote never had. I'm definitely going to be using Notion in parallel with Evernote for the next month or so and then reevaluate my path moving forward. If Evernote doesn't return the key features that I've come to rely on so much in that period, and if Notion continues to work as well as it has for me initially, I'm making the switch. Life's too short to stick around on--and keep apologizing for--a sinking ship. 

• Level 5
2 hours ago, oden said:

First of all, let's not blame developers for what senior and project management failures exist in Evernote. As both a software developer and a project management professional (PMP), I can attest how projects like this play out and this is not a developer-driven collapse. I think even suggesting it is is unfair to the Evernote development team. 

Next, I too have been using and paying for Evernote since 2011--daily! Overall I still consider my Evernote experience positive when considering my entire history with it. That said, the past two or so years have been quite lacking--in my opinion--in terms of the frequency and significance of Evernote updates compared to prior years. This would have been acceptable had our patience been rewarded with a Version 10 that at least supported most of the heavily-used features we all rely on. Understand, from what I am reading most Evernote customers understood the need to rewrite the product and many understand it's difficult to migrate a product AND add new features during the same product. But to jettison basic, heavily-promoted (by Evernote), heavily-used (by paying customers) features and declare the release production-ready is--honestly--and insult to current customers. 

Finally, in reading Evernote senior management's response to the outpouring of specific feedback and issues with Version 10... Oh, wait! That's right: There has been no response! This is--in my opinion--much worse than the issues raised by releasing what at best can be considered a Beta Test release as production-ready, as it basically is the shortcut way of responding to our complaints with a very loud: "SO?!"

I am a big believer in personal responsibly, and I think that also applies to business organizations. Evernote senior management is failing to accept responsibility for what is clearly a disaster of their own making. 

...just my two cents. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5
30 minutes ago, BigBug said:

I'm not so sure about your last statement. I, like many others, am very disappointed with this latest version. I have installed the Legacy version, which seems to be a workable solution for now. That said, I did also sign up for a free trial of Notion. All I can say is, "wow." It's very, very good. Is it perfect, no, of course not, but it seems to have many of the features that Evernote took away in V10. It also has a lot of other really interesting features that Evernote never had. I'm definitely going to be using Notion in parallel with Evernote for the next month or so and then reevaluate my path moving forward. If Evernote doesn't return the key features that I've come to rely on so much in that period, and if Notion continues to work as well as it has for me initially, I'm making the switch. Life's too short to stick around on--and keep apologizing for--a sinking ship. 

Agreed. And nice that they have what appears to be a fairly solid Evernote import option. :)

I too have been impressed. 

I've been an Evernote user back to the first beta in 2008 (user ~2400 - according to an email from Evernote).

Following the fiasco which is the latest release - I've been looking around for alternatives to Evernote - Nimbus and Notion being my current testing choices.

Funnily enough though, the best alternative I've found so far is Evernote Legacy. I cannot believe how the development and release process has been handled so badly for a mature product with millions of users. Relying on Evernote Legacy is not an option though - given there is absolutely no commitment to keeping it running - or no cut-off date specified.

Having participated in the v10 beta, my impression was that the opinions and suggestions from the beta testers were largely ignored. The only time significant attention was paid to us was when a feature didn't work as the Evernote team had already decided they wanted it. Then it would be actioned. Otherwise - crickets. Pushing out a 'live' release like this is just incomprehensible to me (having worked in SW development for 20+ years). At best, it could have been a public beta - but I don't even think it's ready for that yet.

So - I'm hanging on until my current subscription expires (or the legacy version stops working) and will re-evaluate then. However, based on what's happened recently, I don't have a lot of hope for improvement.

• Like 5
51 minutes ago, FrankC said:

I've been an Evernote user back to the first beta in 2008 (user ~2400 - according to an email from Evernote).

Following the fiasco which is the latest release - I've been looking around for alternatives to Evernote - Nimbus and Notion being my current testing choices.

Funnily enough though, the best alternative I've found so far is Evernote Legacy. I cannot believe how the development and release process has been handled so badly for a mature product with millions of users. Relying on Evernote Legacy is not an option though - given there is absolutely no commitment to keeping it running - or no cut-off date specified.

Having participated in the v10 beta, my impression was that the opinions and suggestions from the beta testers were largely ignored. The only time significant attention was paid to us was when a feature didn't work as the Evernote team had already decided they wanted it. Then it would be actioned. Otherwise - crickets. Pushing out a 'live' release like this is just incomprehensible to me (having worked in SW development for 20+ years). At best, it could have been a public beta - but I don't even think it's ready for that yet.

So - I'm hanging on until my current subscription expires (or the legacy version stops working) and will re-evaluate then. However, based on what's happened recently, I don't have a lot of hope for improvement.

It's funny you say that. For me, too, Evernote Legacy is the best alternative I've found to Evernote 10.0. I have my fingers crossed that Evernote 10 becomes as capable as Evernote Legacy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, bswiss56 said:

I moved back to Evernote 7.x - deleted the horrible Evernote 10. Reinstalled Evernote 7.x. All datas are back!

Everything is fine and as expected again now!

5 hours ago, jcnassoc said:

I thought 6.25.2.9198 was the last version prior to the #SAD Version 10; Do you have a link handy for downloading EN 7.x? 

Thanks. 

I suspect that @bswiss56 is on a Mac, where I think the last previous version was 7. But just guessing.

5 hours ago, Badge said:

have just finished migrating my data to Devonthink, which seems to be what I always hoped for evernote to become...issue is it is mac / ios only though...

Forget about all of the little changes, like removing all but 6 fonts (and then reformatting all of my hundreds of notes).

All of the Preferences are GONE with the macOS version.

So, I can no longer disable super annoying things like automatically adding a period (.) after a word if I add extra spaces to line something up on a column boundary.

I am seriously looking at this pile of dog SH** and wondering if now is the time to move to OneNote.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, krutsch said:

wondering if now is the time to move ...

imho  Now is not the time to move to Evernote's version 10    
            I'm using Evernote's Legacy version

On 10/12/2020 at 11:52 AM, 4d4m said:

I've been an Evernote user since 2012 and a premium subscriber since 2014.  I use the Mac client (v7) on my work machine, two home Windows machines on 6.25, my phone (iOS) and iPad Pro.  I've been using Mac at work since July and been loving the dark mode.  The functionality seems to have some odd omissions versus the Windows client but nothing I couldn't live with.  I came to this post after googling for the copy/paste issue from Outlook, which for a while I thought was user error (I've been getting used to MacOS keyboard shortcuts) or a setting.

So I didn't even know there was a v10 version until googling.  I got excited for a minute or two... then I started reading the feedback and got worried. 

I've got 3700+ notes , about 3000 of which are work related.  I'm very concerned about the time and effort involved in migrating them to another platform, and the cognitive effort to get used to it.  I just don't have the time for that right now!  A while back I tried to migrate to OneNote due to restrictions on my old Win 10 work laptop, and it was a disaster.  The import mangles the notebook stack/notebook/note structure and doesn't do multiple tagging!   

So I'm now thinking I'll have to find something else.  I'm yet to find something that meets my requirements.  Having recently paid my yearly subscription I've now got just under a year to research and switch.  UNLESS some of the things I'm reading here change!  No local notes?? That's ridiculous! My internet is pretty good but if I couldn't refer to my notes during an outage it would be disastrous!  The web version is ok as a backup if I'm on a different device but isn't a suitable platform for the main reference.  This might be the kick I needed to spend some time rolling my own.

This is concerning, as I have multiple years and data as well. What other platforms are you considering?