The new Evernote 10 Version List of Missing Core Features

gazumped

Idea

There is nothing aggressive or wrong about talking about leaving or discussing alternatives. 
I have not seen any demonization, or any uncivil language, certainly not on this page. 

Most people here are polite, helpful and genuine. 

Talking about a leaving is not a 'strategy' it is a genuine conversation.

They have made good suggestions, and I have seen no personal attacks. 
If someone has used has behaved badly, they are certainly the exception. I have not seen this.

There is nothing wrong with honest discussion, and it should be encouraged, not called 'negative'.

• Like 6

I haven't looked at the new version of Evernote because I will not use Evernote without the Import Folder option.  I could use OneNote for free in that case, since it doesn't have an import folder option either.  But, is there a timeline for when we might see this added, or is it one of the things that will just go away?  

• Like 3

Without the Import Folders and the Outlook App, I am out on any new version.   These are critical functions for me and without them, 75% of the reason I love Evernote are gone.  Ill be staying with version 6 until these missing critical features are incorporated.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

If I delay long enough

It might take a while - the real crunch is going to be exactly how fast can Evernote add new (i.e.our old) features now they have their code base re-engineered?

Apparently some old features might not make it - see 

And vote!  How can they consider not sharing notes by email!!  (I'd love to know what other features they're still thinking about too....)

What the heck happened to shortcuts. 128 notes displayed by relevance?  what makes one note more relevant than another?  I have over 5k notes with a Meeting tag.  A shortcut that displays them in date created order has been a go to for years. Now it is gone. This is the note from tech: The search sorting is currently not implemented yet. For now, Evernote search provides result by relevance. This feature is on our to-do list and we plan on building them soon.

Help!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

Evernote just forced an update onto my system yesterday.

My initial  reaction is that the  MS Windows App version has been dumbed down to the web / phone version.

The single most important thing missing is that the ability to simply email a Note to someone seems to be gone .    And worse, if  you go to Share and click to get a copy of  a link, the person you send that to can't access the note to see it.   Says no access available even though they are in the shared list on the Notebook and Note.    This one change is big enough to me that I'm going shopping.  Just not acceptable to remove a core feature like emailing Notes with no warning.

This issue relates to the brandnew article "What's new in Evernote for Windows 10.0.10 – Evernote Help & Learning" (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047889234, 2020-10-07)

not quite clear for me is which shortcuts, that may be used in our workflows, are no longer supported or just not implemented yet.

There are quite a lot of keyboard shortcuts listed in the actual article "Keyboard shortcuts in Evernote for Windows (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004807), that are listed as "Not available" in the new version:

This is (state of 2020-10-07):

• all former global keyboard shorcuts (system-wide when working in any application - provided Evernote is running)
  • Application-wide keyboard shorcuts
    • Jump to notebook - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + N
    • Print Preview - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + P
    • Switch to another user - Older versions: Ctrl + Alt + A
    • Show/Hide Note List - Older versions: F11
    • Show/Hide Note View - Older versions: Ctrl + F11
    • Show/Hide Tags View - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + T
    • Quick Search - Older versions: Ctrl + Q
    • Snippet View - Older versions: Ctrl + F5
    • Card View - Older versions: Ctrl + F6
    • Top List View - Older versions: Ctrl + F7
    • Side List View - Older versions: Ctrl + F8
    • Thumbnail View - Older versions: Ctrl + F9
    • Search notebook - Older versions: Shift + Alt + N
    • Search Tags - Older versions: Shift + Alt +N
    • Show Search Explanation - Older versions: Ctrl + F10
    • Close separate windows / Minimize main window to tray - Older versions: Alt + F4
    • Sync - Older versions: F9
    • Online Help - Older versions: F1
    • Cycle through note list views (Snippet, Card, Top List, Side List, Thumbnail) - Older versions: F5
  • Note Editor keyboard shorcuts
    • Search Notes - Older versions: F6
    • Reset Search - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + A
    • Check Spelling - Older versions: F7
    • Open in a New Window - Older versions: Ctrl + Enter
    • Present - Older versions: Ctrl + Alt + Enter
    • Present on Another Screen - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + Enter
    • Tag - Older versions: Ctrl + Alt + T
    • Email note - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + E
    • Font - Older versions: Ctrl + D
    • Insert Checkbox - Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + C
    • Remove Formatting- Older versions: Ctrl + Shift + Space
  • Note List keyboard shorcuts
    • Search Notebooks - Older versions: Alt + F1
    • Search Tags - Older versions: Alt + F2
    • Search Saved Searches - Older versions: Alt + F3
    • Go to the first note in list - Older versions: Home
    • Go to the last note in list - Older versions: End
    • Open the selected note in a separate window - Older versions: Ctrl + Enter
  • Navigation menu keyboard shorcuts
    • Move to the previous item in the section (notebooks, tags, ...) - Older versions: Up arrow
    • Move to the next item in the section (notebooks, tags, ...) - Older versions: Down arrow
    • View the list of sub-items under the selected item (if applicable) - Older versions: Right arrow
    • Collapse the list of sub-items under the selected item (if applicable) - Older versions: Left arrow
    • Delete selected item - Older versions: Delete
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was a beta test user and expressed my disappointment many times about it. Sorry folks. I am running both versions. What I like about the new version is I can paste from Word better. And the search is better. But I miss the tag organization and the Send a Copy by E-mail. Even though I have 6.25 installed, I can't seem to get the Outlook web clipper to work. But maybe I need to reinstall it.

3 hours ago, Kolmir said:

I'm currently testing OneNote (full v.) -> Editor and sync works better than fine on all my platforms, only maybe some small UX complaints on mobile. There are scan tools and Web-Clipper from MS. I can also protect selected content https://www.groovypost.com/howto/password-encrypt-microsoft-onenote-notebook-section/

Next week I plan to try migration https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

However, maybe we can do more, for example like all users of EvN will stop paying subscription at once or contact investors or maybe consider class action lawsuit? I'm not a lawyer, but maybe there is a proper way out? Or EvN just gone crazy... and we should abandon the ship ASAP? As long as we can migrate local notes...

I am also a user of MS OneNote (collaborative work with some specific institutions).

As far as I know, ON notebooks are stored on the cloud (OneDrive), notes are not local - just the same problem as EN v.10.

Syncing is realiable, web-clipper for Chrome and the android widget work fine. You're right, the software is well written and stable.

ON looks fancy (lots of color and icons, the design is very nice) but is not conceived to manage thousands of notes. It simply lacks the tools, I don`t mean that ON is technically unable to save thousands of notes.

It works  well for small-to-medium databases, but - in my humble opinion - is not a substitute for heavy users of Evernote with large databases.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I also use Scrivener.

So do I!  I mean I *have* it, but haven't used it in a long while. I just use it for screenwriting - it never occurred to me to use it for something else. I'll load it up again and see.  I think I downloaded it to replace an old app called MindManager that I used to use to outline my PhD. It was like a flow chart program. I miss that one.

• Like 2

This - - I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack. -- alone is nearly a deal breaker for me.

Other things:

Also, I can print multiple notes at one time or at least I can't figure out how to do it.

I can't sort or filter by notebook.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Kolmir said:

You can listen to the recent interview with EvN's CEO. He officially confessed, that they don't plan anything. This mean they produce software in a pretty chaotic and amateur way... which results in obvious side-effects we experience today with v10. This is unfortunate.

It looks like they ignore achievements of generations of software developers i.e. methods like for example Agile, Scrum, LSD or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_development_life_cycle

Painter gets stuck in the middle of a room

This sounds like the best explanation so far of what’s going on by far thank you. 

• Like 4

You don't. Their help sais you turn it of in system. But in my system settings it is turned off. My OS is english language but I write in another. So, all my notes are red. If every other program has posibility to turn of spellcheck, evernote had it before, why in the world not now???
Plus other features that are missing. This is totaly crazy. Don't understand them why they are breaking things that were working.
Unistaled v10 and went back to legacy version.

Did they decide to ruin the company? What's the bussines plan with letting app like this out?

Since I am sure legacy version will not get anymore bug fixes and will most likely in future loose sync possibility with database and v10 is simply out of question, its time to look for alternatives and move on. Really loved it.

• Like 6
11 hours ago, t8769 said:

How do you turn off spellcheck? 

Did you  read the posts above?

So far there seems to be no way to turn off or to adjust the (Chromium-Electron-) spellcheck in this version. May be this will change or be added in the coming updates, may be included with the pronounced reintegration of preferences. 

I think the point is that with some people it still works if you are not connected to the internet but others do need a connection to search or access their notes, it's not consistent and for me the most obvious problem is it's glacial in speed at all times, I can still tap on a favourite and it takes anywhere between 1 and 8 seconds (record 11 seconds) for it to display the associated notes. We were not talking about thousands of notes here, it had to find 23, the same 23 it had to find yesterday but had not cashed and completely forgotten about them, apparently over night. I deliberately left Evernote running so it could do whatever house keeping it needed to do in the background in case that helped but it's been running nearly a week now and it's not getting any faster.

This very slow speed alone makes it unusable for me, add to this the long list of long term features simply missing and it's not the Evernote I came to rely on. It's a completely different product all together with a green elephant pasted on the logo, a pale comparison to the classic (working) version.

For me the 35 missing keyboard shortcuts are quite incredible, I didn't use them all but we're talking basic ones here, like CMD-J, they say it's coming back but to not have put this in in the first place when they knew how important it was is staggering.

Didn't I hear that Evernote is written in Java Script running in a framework called Election, Haven't all mac users for ever complained about the performance of Java Script on the mac for years or is it my imagination? The performance of the app would confirm this wouldn't it?

I have classic Evernote 7.1.4 on my 2011 iMan and it runs every request instantly, opens quickly, no delays. I have Evernote 10.1.7 on my brand new 2020 iMac and it's so slow, opening searching, clicking on notebooks, favourites etc it's infuriating to use.

I am hoping that enough things get fixed for me to be able to use the new version but it's taken 2 years to get to this position and even powder-users, (not me) are in such a small minority according to Ian Small (less than 2% use tags ! for instance) that I don't think they will ever be listened to. 

• Like 4

Glad to see I'm not the only one annoyed by the long list of frequently used (by me) features that have disappeared in version 10.

In addition to those I had time to find in what's already been posted, here are a few more:

• Insert date/time used to allow the format to be specified. It is no longer useful as I need to use it. Keyboard shortcut was also changed.
  • Indent and un-indent keyboard shortcuts are gone. Guessing MANY other shortcuts are gone.
  • Preferences being reduced to one flag "Save Data at Log Out" is just an enormous slap in the face of anyone whose workflow has benefited from previously available options.

I understand it can be challenging in software development to leverage new technologies without altering past user experiences, but for a product like Evernote, failure to commit to strictly adding functionality is a deal breaker to my long term acceptance of the product.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, Vigilante said:

except that Evernote desktop is a web app. It is not.

Welllll.... v10 is an Electron app. So it may be running locally, but it's basically the same code as in the web browser version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Count me in as someone who isn't happy with this update.  For me it's a giant step backwards.  I understand the company wanting to rewrite the application in something that makes it easier to maintain and add functionality in the future.  I work with databases and have written database applications before and completely understand how good it feels to get rid of bad, old, hard to maintain legacy code in favor of new shiny stuff.  What they should have done is release this version as beta and asked people to test it (I'm sure they did but it obviously wasn't ready to come out of beta).  There are too many missing features and things that are very different.  I have used the Send Feedback option several times to give them constructive feedback, not "you're a bunch of idiots" - that doesn't help.  The overall look and feel is more like version 2, the previous version looked and felt much more professional.  

Another thing that is driving me nuts is the line spacing.  It's about double what it was.  I make my font as small as I can read so I can fit as much as possible in the window, but with V10 I can't get that much in the window.  With regard to the fonts, I wish they would follow standard font sizes.  The default 16 font is NOT 16 point font in any other Windows application.  I could probably get used to the fonts they have chosen to give us but I want the ability to change the default font size because I prefer 14.

I keep all my work on a project in a bullet list under that days date.  Often I'll press shift-enter to get to a new line but stay on the same bullet.  I have my font size set to 14, but after I press shift-enter the font goes back to 16.  Same with inserting text between two paragraphs where everything is 14 - the new text goes back to the default.  It didn't do this on the previous version.

I just re-installed 6.25 and didn't realize how much better it is.  I really hope Evernote is listening to all of this.  In my opinion they should go back to 6.25 being the current version and put this version back into beta letting people help them test it, then release it back to everyone when they have added the needed features.  I understand they ARE working on adding back a bunch of the missing features, but they shouldn't have been missing from the start.  And it's perfectly ok for a company to say, "Sorry, we thought this version was ready but it's obviously not, we goofed.  We're going back to the previous version and will let you know when this is ready."  That's hard but better than not saying anything and letting long time loyal users get more and more upset.

I do love Evernote and have used it a TON for a long time.  I can't imagine NOT using it!  Fingers crossed something good happens with Version 10 really soon - be that a major update with all the missing features or a rollback.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, TK0047 said:

Generally speaking, are electron apps slower than native desktop apps that we had been used to before? Generic question to understand the electron apps better and whether I should just prepare myself for slow apps?!

What are the limitations to the electron apps and the advantages?

Generally yes they are slower than native, some are really good such as Microsoft's VS Code, in general they respond slower and take up more RAM on the machine.
It is still a web interface and the display rendering is slower that a native app dealing with the graphics, which is why you may notice changing from note to note is not as snappy as the legacy version etc. They can still access most things on the system with a bit of work and integrate with it pretty well but as a developer myself I much prefer native apps.

The advantage for EN is to have a shared code base so they don't have to maintain multiple platform specific versions, and apparently that will allow them to deploy new features quicker in the future.

Reading some of the feedback on the forums the performance varies widely between users with some having very poor performance and lags, while my own experience is not as bad as that it is noticeably slower that the legacy version.

• Thanks 3
15 minutes ago, DMiddleton said:

Reading some of the feedback on the forums the performance varies widely between users with some having very poor performance and lags, while my own experience is not as bad as that it is noticeably slower that the legacy version.

Mine is painfully slow!!! I have tried it on a remote desktop, local machine (laptop), local desktop at home....and all 3 is below my standards. The lag is beyond noticeable. I can understand it won't be instantaneous but if I am waiting for note the go away after I moved it to a different notebook, that is an issue for me.

My next question then is why is it so different for many users? Is it the number of notes? 

And since the legacy app works fast on the same computer, I would conclude that there is an issue here aside from the performance or the capability of the PC.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, richtpt said:

I do love Evernote and have used it a TON for a long time.  I can't imagine NOT using it!  Fingers crossed something good happens with Version 10 really soon - be that a major update with all the missing features or a rollback.

I'm a huge Evernote user and fan, and also hugely disappointed by Evernote 10.0. Its lack of features makes Evernote 10 unusable. (For me, these include no keyboard shortcuts and not being able to move the shortcuts to the top of the app.)

If Evernote renamed version 10 as 10 beta that would go a long way toward inspiring confidence. 

• Like 2

This is incredible.

I can't even delete a note on the Windows app anymore.

Right click and then select "Move to Trash", or perform a key combination of "Ctrl + Backspace".  Really Evernote?  The "Delete" button on the keyboard wasn't sufficient?

I work in the technical space and Evernote was a Godsend to me, due to some of it's key features like Screen Snips and Import folders.  Screen Snips were specifically critical for when I was remoting in to a client's machine and annotating screen shots of issues or report modifications on the spot.  Now, that feature, along with a host of others (mentioned at the top of this string) have disappeared.

Noticeable, and meaningful, crucial features which are now missing:

• No Screen Snip
  • No more Import Folder
  • Unable to "Save As" (which I use to Save to a PDF file for internal and external Knowledge Base articles)
  • Unable to Email a note

The top two are in red because I use these two features everyday, multiple times a day.  The Screen Snip has really given me cause for concern and am now going to try and see about reverting Evernote back to the older version.  If I can't do that or if I don't see any positive feedback from the Evernote team regarding re-implementing these features, I have to start planning a migration to another platform (likely One Note).

I loved Evernote and would praise it's capabilities to anyone, but after this downgrade (or premature release), I'm having a hard time convincing myself that this is viable option for me.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jon.r.rose said:

Noticeable, and meaningful, crucial features which are now missing:

• No Screen Snip
  • No more Import Folder
  • Unable to "Save As" (which I use to Save to a PDF file for internal and external Knowledge Base articles)
  • Unable to Email a note

You can go back to the older version until this gets sorted, hopefully.

• Like 3
On 10/11/2020 at 9:29 AM, mi_cha said:

I gave up trying v.10 and am back to previous v. 6.25.1.9091 (last stable version).

I use Evernote for work, not for leisure.

The poor design and missing features affect my workflow. I just can't afford it.

The whole situation is a true lack of respect. This release is an unfinished project - and a poor one.

I'll stick to the older version for now.

I cannot agree more, plus 1

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, bigtelco said:

After exploring a bit, I’m amazed at how far the rest of the world has advanced. Unfortunately beyond the user community itself, there is simply no compelling reason to stay😢 unless:  A. Evernote explains to users what the plans are for the immediate future. B. Evernote acknowledges what is wrong and how they are going to fix it. and C. Evernote commits to some sort of communications plan with its loyal user base.

Good points. After exploring, I was surprised to find some really great products and some with the stuff we have been patiently waiting for.

I really would like to hear A, B and C addressed very soon officially. That would be really awesome.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Daniel KT said:

I fully support all the points noted here. Will not add to the same points raised previously. Just bring back ALL the legacy capabilities into the latest version as soon as possible, please. 

I wish I could give this post a thousand likes. 

Make Evernote better, not weaker. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Gale Rhoades said:

I fear we will loose so much information.

We care about your data, the actual users of Evernote classic, but new Evernote have proven by their total lack of feedback to this shocking terrible “upgrade” they don’t care one jot for your or my data. We are just tiny numbers in their bigger picture that count for literally nothing. I feel betrayed and de-valued, stupid of me I suppose to think for one second I was important as one of their long term paying customers. 
Their silence is deafening. Version 10 is unusable and they glibly say they will no longer support the classic version any time soon, then what will we do?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

New version released for Windows - v10.4 - 

No mention of any of the issues mentioned in this thread being looked at. Spellcheck doesn't work and the windows don't even have window names....but hey - new features you didn't need! (sigh..)

• Haha 1

So many features missing from the desktop version, but the one I miss the most is the filter-as-you-type in the search bar, that filtered the note list while typing: it allowed me to refine the search when the desired note did not appear in the list.
Perhaps this is not possible because the database is no longer local?

While Evernote 10 is being improved (I hope it will), I'll be using the legacy version, or maybe moving to Nimbus note.
It's a shame though, I've been using Evernote for 13 years and have always enjoyed it!

• Like 2

I wanted to say thank you for allowing the previous stable version to be installed the new, because I am completely unable to get anywhere with the new version.

The right-click menu is missing altogether from the notebook stack in the left pane. This means I can't delete a notebook at all. Searching through help, it seems that the context menu is the only way to delete notebooks, so since that menu is now completely non-operational, I had to rely on opening the 'legacy' version to clean up my notebooks.

Also, I used to be able to drag and drop PDF attachments from Outlook emails into a notebook and they would appear as a new note. Since version 10, all I get is 'something went wrong, please try again'. Doesn't matter how many times I try, I get the same error.

So, again, thank you for providing the legacy version and allowing me to run it alongside the new. I'll be relying on this until the above issues are fixed.

I don't normally post on forums but I'm really not happy with this new version.  I've been using evernote for many years now and have it central to all the things I do in life.  I've never considered looking for alternatives until this new update.  I installed it thinking that the look was a little different but that it was introcuding new features.  Good, I thought.  But no, this is the new generation of crappy web apps which have no features, no options and no ability to customise.  You're a long way off the mark if you think this app is anything other than a major downgrade to the "legacy app".  The utter lack of features is shocking and I just experienced something I've never had before, a note conflict where evernote created a copy of a note after I made changes.  That instantly makes me worry.  I trust my data to evernote and this flaky app can't handle simple edits???

Either way, Legacy now installed and I'll be exploring other options to migrate my notes in the meanwhile.  The reality is the new 10 app is never going to have the functionality of 6 as it's simply not built with that in mind.  It's dumbed down by design.  Beware evernote, you going down this path will lose you some of your most loyal voices.  Never take your most loyal customers for granted.

• Like 5

Unfortunately, Evernote seems to think that their system is well-functioning and they are already hard at work on new features like the "homepage."    However, two days ago, I attempted to annotate a pdf on my Mac and I couldn't save the annotations--the Save button is grayed out, another 30 minutes wasted.  Meanwhile, the iOS apps remain a complete disaster-- and there is no legacy option for these.   

The only positive differentiators I can find for Evernote right now are the "Mail In" feature and the Web Clipper.   The system is slow, the "new" editor is inferior to Apple Notes, Bear, Notion, and Craft. I.e., just about every alternative I've tried.  In iOS, the sketch and table features are apparently not yet fully realized (i.e., they are inferior or simply don't work)

My problem is not that the "new" version doesn't have all of the features of the old one. The problem is that the "new" system is unreliable and doesn't work.  There is still a lot of potential here, but if their strategy is to plunge ahead with new releases with new interfaces rather than fixing basic functionality, then this company is doomed.   I don't see them offering refunds to customers for wasting vast amounts of their time.   

Particularly disconcerting are their statements that "oh, only 5% of users need this feature".  However, the vast majority of Evernote users aren't paying.  What percentage of paid users are going to leave because of the mess they have created?  Those paying customers were waiting patiently FOR YEARS as Evernote management promised improvements.  Instead, we now choose between a de-contented and unstable version with "new" features, or a stable "legacy" version with a limited life and no new features.  I, and virtually every Premium customer I have corresponded with are already at least halfway out the door.  

Of course they cannot tell you which features they will "add back,"  they didn't plan to add any back.  The most amazing thing is how "amazed" they seem to be that their most loyal users are unhappy.   This Electron thing is a HUGE strategic blunder-- I don't know that they will ever recover.  Native apps will always work better, even if they are harder to program.  Evernote's view seems to be that even if the apps are worse, slower and less functional, at least programming them will be easier.  In a competitive environment this is  losing strategy. 

If Craft, Apple Notes, Notion, or Bear implement a decent web clipper and mail in features there will be a stampede out the door.  While this won't be an option for many users, I have moved the majority of my work to Apple Notes-- which is--despite missing some of Evernote's legacy features-- amazingly less stressful, more coherent, and everything works like it is supposed to.   

• Like 5

I just installed the Everblote lagacy. After using this product for two years. I must say I will start looking for an alternative. Just leave the fkng sofware alone!!!! It was fine. Copying all these notebooks now will take am enormous amount of time. This is just like Adobe killing the photoshop suite by forcing yearly subscriptions...why the hell are you companies so nasty?? I may have to just go to MS Note and live with it!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, jabaron said:

Legacy EN works pretty well for me -- but V. 10 will not allow for sorting by author, and is slow with an awkward interface for me.

I hope you find something that better meets your needs. I also hope that the ability to sort by a much wider range of fields will be reintroduced. There has been quite a few requests for sorting by tags and notebooks. If you can't find something better and in case you didn't already know you can filter by author using the search syntax. Without knowing your workflow I don't know whether that would help.

author:fredsmith

Since last October I have been using the legacy version.

Today for testing purpose I installed the latest version, and so far:

1. Only 5 fonts are available.

2. Sorting of notebooks on the left panel is still inconvenient for me:

- first notebook stacks with Cyrillic names,

- next with English names,

but in the legacy version the order is "first English, then Cyrillic" - and I prefer this order, and cannot change it.

3. The "Options" still not present. This is a new fashion - not letting users to customize anything.

4. Notes are opening significantly slower than in the legacy version.

Well, at least now I can create a notebook inside a notebook stack...

So, after ~8 months the new version is still crappy???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5

@ildar170975 Maybe read first before you write: The tool to find and use icons is courtesy of MacOS, nothing provided by EN.

Since icons are cross platform (see those available on this forum), I am pretty sure there is something similar for Windows, be it by the OS or one of these tools you can download. Since I use Windows when I have to, and avoid it else, I can’t tell how to exactly.

You asked how you can get icons, you got a polite answer to it.

The adequate reaction is „thank you“, when somebody offers a helping hand. Would be nice to continue with engaged and civilized discussions here in the forum.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

It's entirely your choice - good luck with your next choice.  I'm still with Evernote - allbeit with their Legacy product - happily using the features in the way I've grown used (or resigned) to over these past several years.  There's no requirement (yet) to adopt the new version - it's an option not a compulsion.  Just sayin'

Same here. 

Though for my paperless use case I am in the process of mirroring my notes containing PDFs.  This was triggered by the loss of local notebooks.  I am copying those notes in synced notebooks now.  I would not want to try and make this exodus using V10.  The incremental time it would take would be staggering.  Not clear how long 6.25.1 will be around, probably a while yet, but still....  Who knows maybe V10 will be fixed by then.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Hi @Shane D. - phew.  Thanks - had a brief moment there where I thought a bad year was going to get much worse! 

When you get time,  can someone address my other questions about the new app though please?  I can install it and test things out,  but you'll save me some time if I know more about what to expect...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anybody any clue what is meant with listing "ScanSnap Evernote Edition firmware and software" as no longer supported feature?

a) former seperate / special "ScanSnap Evernote Edition firmware and software"
or
b) general "ScanSnap software" (meanwhile updated and replacing the former Evernote Edition)

I wouldn't be delighted to have problems with using my Fujitsu iX500 (non-Evernote Edition ) after updating to Windows-App, Version 10.0.10...

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, HeBoIz said:

I wouldn't be delighted to have problems with using my Fujitsu iX500 (non-Evernote Edition )

Hmmn.  Missed that earlier.  Guess if you're saving scans directly to Evernote that might be a problem - although if Evernote can still accept scans from Canon / Epson etc,  why would Fujitsu be incompatible.  Maybe just means they won't support the older Evernote version...

• Level 5
1 hour ago, HeBoIz said:

not quite clear for me is which shortcuts, that may be used in our workflows, are no longer supported or just not implemented yet.

Thanks for the well-organized list! I have this same question. Other thoughts:

• I note in particular that all global shortcuts are gone. Among other things, this means you can no longer start a new note from outside Evernote!
  • Also, does the loss of the shortcut to open a note in a new window (Strg + Enter = Ctrl+Enter on English keyboards) mean that it's no longer possible to actually open a note in a separate window?

These are absurdities. Why should having the new editor remove these system-level functions?

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Maybe just means they won't support the older Evernote version...

Thats what I guess. I shortly read that support for the former special Evernote Edition has been given up. Newer firmware is just Fujitsu ScanSnap software „pure“ - including options for direct scans to Evernote. This should stay compatible...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

@Shane D. can you provide a ballpark time frame for how long the Windows and Mac legacy versions will still be supported?

FYI - for anyone wanting to make sure they keep a copy of the 'legacy' version for re-installation - jump to the forums here and download 6.25.1.9091 - save a copy to your computer/cloud/etc., just in case it disappears from the forums!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

FYI - for anyone wanting to make sure they keep a copy of the 'legacy' version for re-installation - jump to the forums here and download 6.25.1.9091 - save a copy to your computer/cloud/etc., just in case it disappears from the forums!

... and as additional fast-info: As mentioned by Shane the legacy version of the actual/old version Evernote_6.25.2.9198 is to find and to download via the Evernote article "Install an older version of Evernote" on https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

• Like 3
  • Level 5
6 hours ago, Shane D. said:

@gazumped Yes, you can still use an older version.

Please see this resource:
https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/360052560314

@Shane D.: First of all, I hope they gave you last week off to get ready for this! :)

Second, can you please clarify something WRT the "legacy" program = v. 6.25.1.9198: is it possible to download and install the new version alongside an existing v. 6.25 installation? Or does the new version (v. 10, I take it) overwrite/delete an installed v. 6.25, making it necessary to then download and install the "legacy" v. 6.25.1.1998? And in either case, will the legacy version and the new version both access the same on-disk Evernote database, or does the new version create a different database? Full details, please! TIA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey all, 

Here to report that ScanSnap / IX500 functionality in the new version is not supported.

When scanning into Evernote a new "Imported Notebook" will be created for each document.

This is breaks a critical feature for me / my business so I will be sticking to the Legacy version until then.

Aesthetically it looks beautiful  - wish I could hit the delete key to delete notebooks/notes though.

@Dave-in-Decatur I have both the legacy and the new version running side by side right now and it seems fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, PatWestTexas said:

Without the Import Folders and the Outlook App, I am out on any new version.   These are critical functions for me and without them, 75% of the reason I love Evernote are gone.  Ill be staying with version 6 until these missing critical features are incorporated.  

Ouch.  I use both too.  Hadn't seen that Import Folders were excluded but I use that too.  Seems like you can run legacy and new versions side by side from the above,  which may be a short(ish) term work-around;  also as a subscriber you can still forward emails to your account email address,  so the lack of an Outlook Clipper isn't a necessarily a total loss.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

It is quite possible to have the older version of Evernote (6.25) running at the same time as the new release. This is exactly what I have.  This allows me to use the new version whilst still providing the ScanSnap scanning that I have used for years and Import folders.  I have disk space and processor power available so running both versions isn't a big deal for me. If I had to choose one version or the other then I'd be sticking with 6.25 for now. As it is I can explore both worlds.

Thank you for this report and advice... (as well regarding the ScanSnap Software) 😉

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

IAC I presume it would be a bad idea to have the same note open in both versions at the same time.

Good guess I would say, two clients and all ....   ;)

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 10/7/2020 at 11:03 AM, Shane D. said:

@gazumped Yes, you can still use an older version.

Please see this resource:
https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/360052560314

@Shane D., I just noticed this casual by-the-way statement in the What's New post: "make sure you are on Windows 10, as the new Evernote app does not support older versions of Windows." Is that true across the board? Not saying it's a bad idea, just relaxing, actually, since it would mean that I can't "upgrade" anyway till I get a new Win10 computer. :)

• Level 5
1 minute ago, Shane D. said:

@Dave-in-Decatur 

Yes, we only support the new version of Evernote for Windows 10. If you're on an older version of Windows then the older version of Evernote is the only supported version currently available.

Thanks for the info! That and any other system requirements really need to be at the top of a post somewhere, rather than being buried. Isn't that basic Best Practices?

But yes, relaxing a bit since (please forgive me, nothing personal) this particular failure is literally not an option for me. :D

I'm enjoying the new version so far, but I was surprised, during install, with the warning that local notebooks were no longer supported. I haven't had many local notebooks in Win10, but I was glad to see that EN came up with a solution for a backup, even it it was an import into a note in the new version. I was seeing the option to "Verify local notebooks" in the tools section on the menu, even after I had concluded the import. I wanted a function that would make it easier to delete those no longer supported (and already imported) local notebooks. EN support told me to delete 'databases' folder. So I did, but I wanted to go further and I totally uninstalled the new version, then proceeded with a complete removal of EN directory and folders, and tried a fresh install once again.

Now, the section regarding 'local notebooks' in 'Tools' is not longer there (which is great, since I've already imported everything that matters and deleted everything), and the new version seems to be very fast and reliable. I particularly liked the possibility to work offline with auto sync when connected, but I miss the sync button (it was kind of a habit to constantly click in the sync button).

I would highly recommend a total removal of old Evernote, prior to installing the new v.10, after you are sure that everything is synced.

All the best,
ever_coffee

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Yes, we only support the new version of Evernote for Windows 10. If you're on an older version of Windows then the older version of Evernote is the only supported version currently available.

Shane, it'd be nice if your installer checked to see if the user was running Windows 10 BEFORE it blew away the existing Evenote installation.  I'm on Windows 7 32-bit, and your installer deleted my entire Evernote installation AND THEN decided it couldn't install Evernote 10 (giving only a cryptic message that no appropriate file-association was set), leaving me with NO EVERNOTE AT ALL. Fortunately, I'd set a Windows restore point before doing the install, but sheesh.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Oh no! I literally just paid for a year of membership yesterday solely because it's the only notes app I know of with a global "New note" hotkey and now they have removed that feature. What are the odds 😭 Oh well I guess I can just use the old version for now and if they stop supporting it eventually I will just have to end my membership then. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

These are all important issues. There are now forums related specifically to v. 10 for Windows: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/720-evernote-for-windows-issues-versions-100-and-above/https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/731-evernote-for-windows-requests-versions-100-and-above/. Many of these issues are listed and discussed there, so it might be more effective to proceed there.

• Level 5*

@MarcSant

Good list.  There are threads in which others list function important to them.  The compilation would be far more extensive that what was included with EN's release blog.  But EN says some of the stuff is just around the corner.  Not sure which corner(s) nor when though..

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

I had a quick look at Twitter earlier and guess what @EvernoteHelps was saying a couple of days ago... 

These are (apparently) the next features planned for EN10 - they sound strangely familiar... 

> App preferences
> Export options
> Taskbar clipping
> Audio note recording & playback
> Quick switcher (Cmd+J)
> Published notebooks (Evernote Business)

And the Backup help page reckons the way to backup your EN10 is to export (and download) a complete notebook. 

My database currently runs to 20GB - I think I'll need a faster connection...

• Like 1

I, too, do not like Evernote 10. Not because I do not like the looks, but the first thing I tried to do was export notes. Guess what? There is a limit of 50 notes. So much for me exporting my Personal Journal of 241 notes. I went back to 6.25. IF they fix this, and from what I read, many other things, I will try 10, again.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
59 minutes ago, Bryn26 said:

I agree that it's time to start looking at alternative options to Evernote. The Evernote management is utterly clueless and if they're happy to release a beta release to the public that is objectively worse than the previous version, then there is no reason to hold out confidence and remain with this product.

Looking through the Help centre,  there are several updates dealing with the new version - so at least someone was thinking about users before the release.  I got the "backup by export and download" (see above) information from there.  I think Ian Small has been trying to inform (prepare?) us for a stripped-down launch by stressing that once the new build is complete,  there's a sound base onto which they can quickly add new features. 

I think the launch was massively badly handled and users are reacting badly because none of us know what is happening and how to deal with this.  Evernote are now in the classic backed up state of having so much input they can't react to any of it in a meaningful way,  but it would be good if they could let us know on what timescale they're working.  Will we see the features that are still being carried over from the old app reinstated in EN10 before the end of this year?  And WHAT (besides offline storage) is officially being retired forever?

I get that for usage and budget reasons it would be good to cut down on their bandwidth so users don't sync GB-level databases (guilty!) on a regular basis - but if regular users start downloading notebooks for backup purposes,  seems to me that will tie up their servers quite nicely,  feeding the streams.

I'm not looking to move away from Evernote - yet - but they're testing my patience.  Not least because when they ***** up,  my volunteer forum support service (i.e. me) gets buried by hundreds of complaint posts. 

The other helpers are doing a sterling job fighting fires and trying to keep folks informed,  but if any new voices want to chime in and point folks in the direction of help (or escape,  if that's their choice) then please feel free!!

EDIT: apologies for my inadvertent use of the name of the woodworking accessory with helical embellishment...

• Like 6
16 horas atrás, notetakeingguy disse:

I was a beta test user and expressed my disappointment many times about it. Sorry folks. I am running both versions. What I like about the new version is I can paste from Word better. And the search is better. But I miss the tag organization and the Send a Copy by E-mail. Even though I have 6.25 installed, I can't seem to get the Outlook web clipper to work. But maybe I need to reinstall it.

I understand you test BETA versions since you're a beta tester user. But we all here are NOT BETA USERS. And, I felt that we are treated like this way.

"stick it down in their throats and let see whats happen"

Really man, I use Evernote more than 15 years. And this is the most FRUSTATING version ever since. 

I can't believe that there is no person in the support staff, no people that has not take ONE single quote about the all features have been removed in one single release. 

Please, make the product BETTER not destroy it.

If single Evernote Staff member read this, please listen to the majority of paid users here, and think: is there nothing wrong?

• Like 7
Agora, DTLow disse:

You might be happier using the legacy version

Yeah, at least, there is a chance to continue to using this version, util I migrate my notes to another place.

But, legacy version lacks native 64 bit versions, that has better deal with huge text notes (source code).

I'm thinking very serious to abandon Evernote. I'm looking into Notion and it is a really good alternative.

Let's see what happens.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I think Ian Small has been trying to inform (prepare?) us for a stripped-down launch by stressing that once the new build is complete,  there's a sound base onto which they can quickly add new features. 

@gazumped I admire and appreciate your positive view, but here I respectfully disagree.  Evernote could have informed us, by well, informing us.  They were very transparent about taking the time out needed to replumb the clients and backend.  They should have been equally transparent about what features these new versions were leaving out and whether temporary or permanent, and this information should have been made available to users before they did the "upgrade."  It is great they are allowing the legacy version to be used in parallel.  It would be helpful to have an estimate on how long the legacy app will still function.

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
42 minutes ago, gazumped said:

EDIT: apologies for my inadvertent use of the name of the woodworking accessory with helical embellishment...

Straight of phillips for me

6 minutos atrás, s2sailor disse:

@gazumped I admire and appreciate your positive view, but here I respectfully disagree.  Evernote could have informed us, by well, informing us.  They were very transparent about taking the time out needed to replumb the clients and backend.  They should have been equally transparent about what features these new versions were leaving out and whether temporary or permanent, and this information should have been made available to users before they did the "upgrade."  It is great they are allowing the legacy version to be used in parallel.  It would be helpful to have an estimate on how long the legacy app will still function.

Totally agree. Acting like you mentioned denotes, at least for me, that they are not giving a ***** for us, I can almost hear the planning team saying, "Let them scream" that the support team can handle the pressure. 

I'm sorry for those who still think this is normal, but, frankly, this is not the way to work. This is not how you do an implementation with the removal of so many basic features of the product.

For me this was totally amateurish. It is not possible that nobody has questioned this, I refuse to believe.

• Like 3
Em 08/10/2020 at 14:25, Dave-in-Decatur disse:

@wolfonta and @agsteele, thanks for the info about running both versions side by side. Do you know if they both access the same DB? IAC I presume it would be a bad idea to have the same note open in both versions at the same time.

The new version appears to be just a front side web client. There is no DB access in your local storage. I can confirm this since I using both new and old version side by side. Well, to be honest, I deleted this 10 ***** version. Or caothic version, or beta version, for me all this names are the same.

I'm planning to abandon Evernote if they will not support the legacy or the older versions anymore. Well, to be honest, after this disastrous new version, I'm thinking about leaving for good. Whether the old version is supported or not.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

And WHAT (besides offline storage) is officially being retired forever?

Is it a settled fact that the full offline mode (ie, access to the full database without internet connection) is gone for good? I couldn't find any official statements in any direction.

Isn't this a "feature" nearly everyone needs, not just "power users"? Spoils every bussiness trip by plane or outside (good) wifi coverage ... (and downloading every note one may need beforehand seems a bit tedious, if not impossible)

Best regards and thanks in advance for any related information.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, tommy_ev said:

Is it a settled fact that the full offline mode (ie, access to the full database without internet connection) is gone for good? I couldn't find any official statements in any direction.

I don't think so.  I've seen somewhere, prior to the launch, that offline access was being worked on.  I haven't downloaded the new version so can't directly comment on what it has now.  Local notebooks, which are offline and also not sync'd to the server, do appear to be gone.

My guess is that offline access will be implemented similar to how it is done with the mobile clients where you select the notebooks that you want offline access to and it downloads only those.  I think that is a premium feature today on mobile.  I wouldn't be surprised if they take the same approach for these new desktop clients.

• Like 1

The What's new in Evernote for Windows web page  has the following statements:

What features are no longer supported in the new app?

This is not an exhaustive list of features, but the most notable include:

• Local notebooks
  • Presentation mode
  • Context
  • ScanSnap Evernote Edition firmware and software
  • Outlook clipper

Can I use the new Evernote app offline?

Yes. To use Evernote offline, ensure you are signed in to the app before disconnecting from the internet.

I don't think there is going to be an easily identifiable local data base but something more like local caching. People need to ensure everything is fully downloaded by using the app for some time and then switch off the internet and see what happens. If it does not work offline in the way you expect it needs to be reported to Evernote because they clearly think it should work.

See also the info below posted by @gbarry in the mac forum of how the sync process works:

Searching offline should also be working and available. At initial install, we load up the note meta data first, which lets you quickly orient to what is available in the account, builds the lists, etc. The note content syncs in the background, and depending on the size of your account, may take some time to do this. If you click into any note or search for a note that is not synced yet, we will opportunistically load that up ahead of what is already syncing.

That initial load of meta data can also make it look like the notes are unavailable if you go offline during this initial sync. I'd be interested if you're still running into an offline issue after the notes have loaded. Working offline is an important part of the experience.

• Level 5*

Conflicting statements on this.  I think saw in some thread that disconnected access is supposed to be working now.  But it may take a while for the DB to sync so not clear as to how long before a search would be "accurate".     

EDIT: post above mine posted at same time, there's the post I was referring to.

15 minutes ago, Mike P said:

That initial load of meta data can also make it look like the notes are unavailable if you go offline during this initial sync. I'd be interested if you're still running into an offline issue after the notes have loaded. Working offline is an important part of the experience.

I really question any usable functionality of Evernote while offline at present.   Maybe if you're creating a note,    but searching and using tags and saved searches was useless for me. evernote had 2 days to build it's cache.

Definitely if we could specify notebooks to be available offline like on mobile, or even if we new a notebook would cache the latest 100 notes (as example number) we would be in a much better position than currently where we know nothing specific and offline is totally hit or miss.

• Like 1