The new Evernote 10 Version List of Missing Core Features

• Level 5

These are all important issues. There are now forums related specifically to v. 10 for Windows: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/720-evernote-for-windows-issues-versions-100-and-above/https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/731-evernote-for-windows-requests-versions-100-and-above/. Many of these issues are listed and discussed there, so it might be more effective to proceed there.

Version 10 has crazy painful losses compared to prior Version 7. key things to my workflow are removed

command J "Switch to ...." to navigate to a different folder  ... GONE!

command T, "New Tab" to open another view allowing quick switching ... GONE!

mac service "Add to evernote" to allow a mac finder file automatic creation of a note .... GONE!

the app is slower, particularly when add pics or attachements to notes.  and there is no indication of sync status.  all this is just from my first initial use, i quickly returned to the legacy version that still thankfully works. if they don't allow that to continue (or it breaks) i will be looking for a new app. this is terrible

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

my two major issues:

1. search in notebooks shared by others to yourself doesn‘t work anymore. Yes, you‘re reading correctly: search and sharing are two core feature of Evernote - support confirmed it‘s a known issue (iOS only)
  2. Tag filter is gone. Tags are the core of Evernote - now, we only have suggestions in the search dialog - that‘s not the same! (the current „Tag filter“ shows ALL tags Evernote knows, even those not assigned to any note listed in the notes view - this is not a filter)

So, Search, Sharing, Tags - the core of Evernote - stopped working - while I continue to pay my Premium subscription...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The new Evernote for Windows 10 is an EPIC FAILURE! Just bring in more formatting options and headings to the old evernote and thank you. That whole HTML5 interface is a disaster and lack basic features like toolbar on the top, takes 10 seconds to open a note in a separate window, delete key doesn't work anymore, new note doesn't open by default in new window...

Luckily I had the old installer saved on my desktop

• Like 7

I have similar complaints about the "New Evernote for Mac". No Tag filter, Sync doesn't work unless you quit and restart either the desktop or mobile version or both.

An a fundamental issue that I rely on for organization, I no longer know how many notes I have, as note count isn't available?! 

I realize that your are able to use an "enterprise " version of Evernote side by side with the "new and shiny "improved version" but why should I need to change my workflow for a few bells and whistles, many of which seem to be a step backwards. Long long time EN user, frustrated already with the update. 😡

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Rockin1 said:

I realize that your are able to use an "enterprise " version of Evernote side by side with the "new and shiny "improved version" but why should I need to change my workflow

oooo  Shiny,    -   gotta have that
Nope, I'm sticking with the legacy version; no complaints

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I could probably be happy with the legacy version indefinitely, but to me it raises several problems. 

If we thought development was stagnant, this means it is now at a complete standstill.

Based on the amount of time that has gone into v10, the length of the closed and open Beta, and the amount of feedback they received, and the final release, I don't have much faith that v10 will improve much or soon, so indefinitely is truly indefinitely.

They could, at any time, change the syncing so that it no longer functions with the legacy apps. 

I don't think disappointed is quite strong enough. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/10/2020 at 4:21 PM, dbvirago said:

I could probably be happy with the legacy version indefinitely...They could, at any time, change the syncing so that it no longer functions with the legacy apps. 

I'm less ambitious; my objective is to be happy for the immediate future   
I estimate/hope1-2 years with the legacy version

• Like 2
  • Level 5

I too am a long-time Evernote (paying) user / fan / advocate. And I too have been devastated to see what was once an outstanding piece of software utterly destroyed. This is sad. 

• Like 7
On 10/11/2020 at 12:21 AM, dbvirago said:

I could probably be happy with the legacy version indefinitely, but to me it raises several problems. 

If we thought development was stagnant, this means it is now at a complete standstill.

Based on the amount of time that has gone into v10, the length of the closed and open Beta, and the amount of feedback they received, and the final release, I don't have much faith that v10 will improve much or soon, so indefinitely is truly indefinitely.

They could, at any time, change the syncing so that it no longer functions with the legacy apps. 

I don't think disappointed is quite strong enough. 

I think the legacy version should last a couple of months quite reliably. I wouldn't rely on it beyond that though for anything mission critical. We'll be able to see quite clearly what direction EN is going by that time and Id expect most of the bugs to be shaken out too. If by then it still doesn't do what I want, I guess Ill have to shop around.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
3 minutes ago, bishopblaize said:

I think the legacy version should last a couple of months quite reliably. I wouldn't rely on it beyond that though for anything mission critical. We'll be able to see quite clearly what direction EN is going by that time and Id expect most of the bugs to be shaken out too. If by then it still doesn't do what I want, I guess Ill have to shop around.

I agree with everything in this post... it is very clear EN is struggling internally and my guess is they've lost lots of top talent that doesn't need to stay on a sinking ship. I'm thinking if I can downgrade to 6.* for a couple of months that gives me time to proof-of-concept Notion or others (with my data) and make the jump safely. Not how I wanted to spend October, but... (Is this where I say "Thank, Evenote!"?). 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, bishopblaize said:

I think the legacy version should last a couple of months quite reliably. I wouldn't rely on it beyond that though for anything mission critical. 

I'm estimating/hoping for a longer time frame (years)

>>We'll be able to see quite clearly what direction EN is going by that time and Id expect most of the bugs to be shaken out too. If by then it still doesn't do what I want, I guess Ill have to shop around.

I agree.  
I'm not making decisions based on the initial release of a work-in-progress product   
I also haven't installed the new version on my primary device

1 hora atrás, jcnassoc disse:

I too am a long-time Evernote (paying) user / fan / advocate. And I too have been devastated to see what was once an outstanding piece of software utterly destroyed. This is sad. 

Yeah, me too. I spoke about Evernote to almost all my work fellows and colleagues and now I was really disappointed. The ticket that I opened in the support was answered today, and the only path that tech support guy instructed my is "Use the Legacy Version".

I'm pretty sure that I know which direction the company is aiming at with the product, and for me, it's enough. I'm planning to invest my effort to Notion, and leave Evernote and wishes good luck.

• Thanks 1

The answer I got from representative support:

"Hello there Marcelo,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Evernote Customer Support. This is Jeffrey, and I'll be assisting you today.

I understand you'd like to go back to using the older version of Evernote. While we encourage everyone to give the new Evernote app a try, we recognize that there are some scenarios where using an older version is necessary or desired.

You can download the Evernote Legacy app by following the instructions in this Help & Learning article: Install an older version of Evernote.

If you run into any trouble, I'd be happy to help troubleshoot with you so you can get back to being productive with Evernote.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

If you have any other questions or clarifications, feel free to reply to this email. We will do our best to assist you.

Kind Regards,

Jeffrey B.
Customer Support Representative"

So, for those are not happy with the new 10 version, there only 2 possible options:

- Stick with legacy version

- Switch to another product. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I agree.  I'm not making decisions based on the initial release of a work-in-progress   

Well, I waited roundabout 2 years. Maybe longer. Evernote is missing new features and progress since at least 2 years. I had a nasty bug with highlighting formatting I was in contact with the support about. At some point I just realized  that they won't fix it anymore as they plan to launch a new editor anyways. And I accepted that and I waited for the relaunch to come. I was expecting something comparable to Notion because this seems to be the state of the art for a notes app.

As I said before: A software full with bugs is one thing that happens often (even Apple sometimes publishs critial OS versions). My problem are not the bugs - bugs could be fixed. My problem is the horrible UX. I won't accept that. Evernote seemingly made the choice to move in a certain direction. This is not my direction. Maybe they did a competitor analysis and decided that powerusers should just use Notion while everyone who is looking for a simple notes app with just a bit more functionality than Apple's native app should use Evernote. If so, they will have to reinvent their business model, I guess the power users are those who are willing to pay for premium. Whatever, that's their thing and not my business.

In hindsight: When I heard the very first speech of the new CEO I should have known it ;) The speech was a terrible sequence of buzzword-overloaded sentences without meaning. Tenor was: "Let's not talk about features, let's talk about what Evernote should feel like". I think he had a strategic shift in mind: Get away from demaning power users and nerds and try to become the go-to app for everyone who is just looking for an Apple Notes pendant that works on Windows as well.

• Like 2

At least in my point of view, they are unifying the product to have a single development team, reducing costs by allowing the Windows team to have the same development base for Apple. 

This forces them to remove features that are highly dependent on the operating system, such as sending a note via email, changing the font to a list larger than just 5, among other things. 

What they did was: "we will implement a multi-platform version, release it with what we could provide for both ecosystems, and over time we will implement back what we removed." 

From a business point of view, it makes sense because you save money and focus in one direction only, with shorter development cycles.

But the problem is that they haven't thought about users at all: they've launched the new product and damn what the user thinks. They could have minimized all this stress by sending an email to all users talking about the new version, and in this email putting the link to the Legacy version in case the user didn't feel comfortable with the changes.

I live here in Brazil, I have always praised and spoken well of American Technology companies, how serious they are, competent and how they produce excellent systems and products that help our lives, but this time, sincerely gave me shame about what they did. 

It was very, very amateurish. I would expect this kind of posture from a backyard company, a beginner, which has a bunch of teenage nerds starting now, but, honestly, the role is inverted: The teenage nerds are producing each time more great products, creating applications that are innovating and changing the life of many people, and contrary to what I said, they don't take these decisions that irritate so many people in such a short time.

I think the company's board needs to look to this, it needs to look to what is happening, it is not just a bunch of angry people with a new function or new resource but essential functions that makes the product viable for the users.

Evernote as a company can't just believe that because we depend on them we won't migrate to another platform, we can and will do it! 15 years ago there wasn't alternative, today we have, and to have alternatives means that your product can't give margin for error. 

And this last change was a grotesque mistake, which is leading to a huge base of paying users to rethink Evernote as a loyal note companion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, MarcSant said:

The answer I got from representative support:

"Hello there Marcelo,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Evernote Customer Support. This is Jeffrey, and I'll be assisting you today.

I understand you'd like to go back to using the older version of Evernote. While we encourage everyone to give the new Evernote app a try, we recognize that there are some scenarios where using an older version is necessary or desired.

You can download the Evernote Legacy app by following the instructions in this Help & Learning article: Install an older version of Evernote.

If you run into any trouble, I'd be happy to help troubleshoot with you so you can get back to being productive with Evernote.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

If you have any other questions or clarifications, feel free to reply to this email. We will do our best to assist you.

Kind Regards,

Jeffrey B.
Customer Support Representative"

So, for those are not happy with the new 10 version, there only 2 possible options:

- Stick with legacy version

- Switch to another one. 

Thanks for sharing their response Marc. Seems to me they are 100% NOT taking responsibility for what's happened... almost making it seem it is our (users') odd-ball "scenarios" that require us to downgrade. 

1 minuto atrás, jcnassoc disse:

Thanks for sharing their response Marc. Seems to me they are 100% NOT taking responsibility for what's happened... almost making it seem it is our (users') odd-ball "scenarios" that require us to downgrade. 

Yeah. At least, some support manager will be get promotion bonuses when their support team will be handle more than 100% increase support tickets in the next few weeks!

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm estimating/hoping for a longer time frame (years)

>>We'll be able to see quite clearly what direction EN is going by that time and Id expect most of the bugs to be shaken out too. If by then it still doesn't do what I want, I guess Ill have to shop around.

I agree.  
I'm not making decisions based on the initial release of a work-in-progress product   
I also haven't installed the new version on my primary device

I think it will be more than a couple of months, just based on how slowly they develop. But I don't think it will be years. At some point, they will change the engine behind syncing and that is when it will break. Of course, as a standalone app, there is no reason it won't work as long as the OS can handle it.

I've been an Evernote user since 2012 and a premium subscriber since 2014.  I use the Mac client (v7) on my work machine, two home Windows machines on 6.25, my phone (iOS) and iPad Pro.  I've been using Mac at work since July and been loving the dark mode.  The functionality seems to have some odd omissions versus the Windows client but nothing I couldn't live with.  I came to this post after googling for the copy/paste issue from Outlook, which for a while I thought was user error (I've been getting used to MacOS keyboard shortcuts) or a setting.

So I didn't even know there was a v10 version until googling.  I got excited for a minute or two... then I started reading the feedback and got worried. 

I've got 3700+ notes , about 3000 of which are work related.  I'm very concerned about the time and effort involved in migrating them to another platform, and the cognitive effort to get used to it.  I just don't have the time for that right now!  A while back I tried to migrate to OneNote due to restrictions on my old Win 10 work laptop, and it was a disaster.  The import mangles the notebook stack/notebook/note structure and doesn't do multiple tagging!   

So I'm now thinking I'll have to find something else.  I'm yet to find something that meets my requirements.  Having recently paid my yearly subscription I've now got just under a year to research and switch.  UNLESS some of the things I'm reading here change!  No local notes?? That's ridiculous! My internet is pretty good but if I couldn't refer to my notes during an outage it would be disastrous!  The web version is ok as a backup if I'm on a different device but isn't a suitable platform for the main reference.  This might be the kick I needed to spend some time rolling my own.

• Like 5
  • Level 5

I feel your pain, 4d4m. I too dread the idea of a migration to another product and the time and effort involved. I too have a few thousand notes, and some of them with encrypted text--which I am assuming no EN alternative--even one's with the ability to import EN data--will be able to handle. Not happy!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, dbvirago said:

Of course, as a standalone app, there is no reason it won't work as long as the OS can handle it.

Just be sure and never log out.  You need a server to log in.  That's the stopgap should EN suddenly disappear as a business.  Then you have what you need to port to wherever.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dbvirago said:

At some point, they will change the engine behind syncing and that is when it will break. Of course, as a standalone app, there is no reason it won't work as long as the OS can handle it.

At that point, the "beating a dead horse" analogy will be completed
By then, I will have converted to v10 or another service

I just downgrade to Evernote v7.x because I loose a lot of time with Evernote v10 on Mac Os.

Evernote product owner should stop user their client as testers. The version V10 is not finished !

I get a lot of issues

- My shortcuts that i use daily are not working 

- The list of notes is not updated when i update a note (change tag or date)

- Performance issues; The app is very slow when i click on a tag or shortcuts

- Strange design choice (example: putting the tags and reminder menu on the bottom of the editor !)

I follow those steps to downgrade to 7.x

1. Download a old version from here https://evernote.fr.uptodown.com/mac/versions
  2. Delete the folder ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/ (otherwise you will get the error: Version too old! )

I hope that helps you

I've been using Windows version 10 for just 15 minutes and regret updating to it. The split window display mode is gone. All my notes have been converted to Sans Serif font and a larger font size, and there are only six fonts to choose from. It honestly looks and feels like a cheap port of the Android version.

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only person unhappy with the latest version.  I joined during the beta, and was willing to live with some flakiness while they worked out bugs.  Seeing that it released in this state, however, is a demotivator honestly.  I've been using Evernote daily for 10 years, both home and work.  I have a paid account, and 12,000 notes.. The missing features, the poor speed, and the general lack of stability I've seen in the Mac version has me disappointed ... I reported these issues in the Beta surveys, random empty notes requiring me to restart.. Random duplicated notes that I can't delete (Move to trash is greyed out until a restart).  Notes changing titles, the unintuitive UI changes (I can't click on the Notebook name anymore to move a note, there's a new button next to it.. Moving the Notebook & Tags to opposite ends of the notes), it's just annoying... Evernote is no longer "fun to use"

I won't cancel my account, but I won't go back to v10 until I'm forced or I see some real improvement in the system.  I'm rolling back to 7.14_458244 (Thank you homebrew)

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Just a very early take on Notion as an EN replacement--with what appears a decent Import from Evernote feature: Looks very, very strong. 

I just had my EN renewal in September (bad timing!), but there's no way I'm staying with them after they basically imploded and showed they are not concerned about long-time, paying users. 

Note to EN staff: If you're good you don't really want to be the last one there to turn off the lights! Just a thought!

Be well and stay safe!

• Like 2
  • Level 5
5 minutes ago, Andryel Voigt said:

Using EN Legacy, no way to use this new version...

Right... Issue imho is there's no way they will maintain two sets of source code long-term. 

Ok... after years of using Evernote and most of that time as a paid member I am seriously considering switching to another product. Any suggestions as to what other products to check out? 

If Evernote is reading this, here are a quick list of a few of my concerns:

-No presentation mode (i used this for teaching regularly)

-No importing fonts (fonts have been a way I created organization and association with ideas)

-No way of creating a default format for all new notes (font, font size, color, etc...)

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Andryel Voigt said:

Using EN Legacy, no way to use this new version...

That's cool   
I reverted back to the previous version    
Users should avoid these initial releases if they're not willing to test for issues
I'll check back periodically to see if the issues are resolved

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, BroKyle said:

How do you delete a tag now?

What platform/device?
In IOS, I access the Tags page
Slide a tag right, click ...IMG_3798.jpeg.5aee6d3dc5399d988121db04f8034acb.jpeg

It seems you are no longer able to tag a note by dragging the note to a tag in the sidebar. This was a critical feature for me and made tagging for project management so much easier. Not sure why it was removed. 

9 hours ago, jcnassoc said:

Right... Issue imho is there's no way they will maintain two sets of source code long-term. 

The software and data file are local. Until they change the sync, it will be fine. Even then, you will have a working copy and your data for as long as it takes to transition. 

Center Images.

Is there is a single reason why this "feature" has been removed?
The question is meant unironical. Can someone explain the reason behind removing such a fundamental thing? Is this a technical thing somehow?

What possessed you to remove the tab functionality? That's so basic and useful a feature that surely you must have just forgotten? I rarely make posts like this but it's just so disappointing and frustrating that something I liked so much has blundered the "new great version" so much – I need to go back to the old one or, like others have mentioned, move to something else. I've used Evernote for around 7 years or so and have recommended it to a lot of friends – not anymore.

If you're going to put so much effort into an update, how could you not ask your users more carefully what they do with your software every day???? I work in UX. And one thing we definitely try to avoid is to piss off a bunch of customers and make them look for something else... 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

It appears we're all in the same state of frustration, disbelieve, astonishment that a huge software company (they have how many billions in venture capital funding?) would so totally mismanage a software product, and more-importantly what are obviously very loyal customers / subscribers. As a software project manager I am amazed at how badly they failed.

Next steps? 

1.) Massive cancelling of subscriptions as soon as we can migrate data away. I've already updated my account to stop auto-renewal. If we al head for the exits will they wake up?

2.) Identify possible replacements. I'm now looking at Notion and Joplin (Open Source), which both have lots of strengths, as well as support for importing Evernote data. Notion looks more powerful than Evernote, while Joplin looks like a clone (and is free, though doesn't come with cloud syncing--you need to do it with OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.). 

3.) [Not that we can control this] Evernote management needs to step up and do a major "mea culpa" to all of us loyal (ex-)fans. They need to explain to us what went wrong, what they are doing about it (silence means nothing!), and why we should wait around after years of non-updates of any significance. 

Honestly, even if they do a stellar job with item 3.) (e.g., take full responsibility for the mess-up, give us a timeline that's both achievable and relatively tight, and offer to refund and/or postpone any additional subscription fees) I'm not sure I will stick with them even as much as I love Evernote. At this point I'm spending time looking at Notion, Joplin, etc. and not-for-nothing Notion looks really powerful. Once I identify the right product for me I think I'd rather migrate over and move on with my life rather than wait and hope Evernote does the right thing.

---

Speaking of replacements: The one feature I'm not finding that EN has and I use often is encrypting text within a note. Anyone come across an Evernote replacement that allows for this? Thanks!

• Like 2
27 分鐘前, jcnassoc說:

It appears we're all in the same state of frustration, disbelieve, astonishment that a huge software company (they have how many billions in venture capital funding?) would so totally mismanage a software product, and more-importantly what are obviously very loyal customers / subscribers. As a software project manager I am amazed at how badly they failed.

Next steps? 

1.) Massive cancelling of subscriptions as soon as we can migrate data away. I've already updated my account to stop auto-renewal. If we al head for the exits will they wake up?

2.) Identify possible replacements. I'm now looking at Notion and Joplin (Open Source), which both have lots of strengths, as well as support for importing Evernote data. Notion looks more powerful than Evernote, while Joplin looks like a clone (and is free, though doesn't come with cloud syncing--you need to do it with OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.). 

3.) [Not that we can control this] Evernote management needs to step up and do a major "mea culpa" to all of us loyal (ex-)fans. They need to explain to us what went wrong, what they are doing about it (silence means nothing!), and why we should wait around after years of non-updates of any significance. 

Honestly, even if they do a stellar job with item 3.) (e.g., take full responsibility for the mess-up, give us a timeline that's both achievable and relatively tight, and offer to refund and/or postpone any additional subscription fees) I'm not sure I will stick with them even as much as I love Evernote. At this point I'm spending time looking at Notion, Joplin, etc. and not-for-nothing Notion looks really powerful. Once I identify the right product for me I think I'd rather migrate over and move on with my life rather than wait and hope Evernote does the right thing.

---

Speaking of replacements: The one feature I'm not finding that EN has and I use often is encrypting text within a note. Anyone come across an Evernote replacement that allows for this? Thanks!

From releasing the new iOS version I have already called for pulling down and legacy version, urging for an official statement addressing the issue besides the normal customer service. The company ignored almost all of this and still insist on launching Mac/Windows in which much more people are affected. They have missed the opportunities of first round, and also missed the second now, where many users asked for the roadmap and called for moving out.

The YouTube clip shared here yesterday about the interview of Ian Small is nothing. Actually I am really shocked to see a company can COMPLETELY overlook all of the voices in this case. Their new product is already a crisis, and I am sure it is just the beginning of the fall of Evernote.

Cancellation of the renewal is a must. If they are willing to talk to us and improve, they should have done it when the iOS was launched. If they didn't do it before, they won't do in both short and long run. Don't expect this company will change and you can't force them to do so. Leaving is already the best solution.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, Alvin C said:

From releasing the new iOS version I have already called for pulling down and legacy version, urging for an official statement addressing the issue besides the normal customer service. The company ignored almost all of this and still insist on launching Mac/Windows in which much more people are affected. They have missed the opportunities of first round, and also missed the second now, where many users asked for the roadmap and called for moving out.

The YouTube clip shared here yesterday about the interview of Ian Small is nothing. Actually I am really shocked to see a company can COMPLETELY overlook all of the voices in this case. Their new product is already a crisis, and I am sure it is just the beginning of the fall of Evernote.

Cancellation of the renewal is a must. If they are willing to talk to us and improve, they should have done it when the iOS was launched. If they didn't do it before, they won't do in both short and long run. Don't expect this company will change and you can't force them to do so. Leaving is already the best solution.

Well put! 

I want to add to the list the one feature I often used that I cant find or I didn't find in the New Evernote update 10.

Search in the notebook I opened (not search and then add filter ) . It seem the same but very different in workflow. 

I'll echo the loss of CMD shortcuts, terrible user interface, etc.

For me, however, the loss of Classic Note Links is a show-stopper. This has to be replaced asap or they'll lose me to something like Notion as its an integral part of my workflows.

I've been a paid user for the past seven years. I **PATIENTLY** waited for them over the past year as they worked through this major update. 

I could not have been more disappointed.

I believe Evernote owes all of us paid subscribers a rebate or reduced subscription. They've literally removed dozens of features with no corresponding reduction in price.

Shame on them!

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, BigBug said:

I'll echo the loss of CMD shortcuts, terrible user interface, etc.

For me, however, the loss of Classic Note Links is a show-stopper. This has to be replaced asap or they'll lose me to something like Notion as its an integral part of my workflows.

I've been a paid user for the past seven years. I **PATIENTLY** waited for them over the past year as they worked through this major update. 

I could not have been more disappointed.

I believe Evernote owes all of us paid subscribers a rebate or reduced subscription. They've literally removed dozens of features with no corresponding reduction in price.

Shame on them!

Hi. The internal note links (creation and use) work fine for me. I am on Mac, though. Is this a problem you are seeing in Windows?

As for the loss of features, I'm not terribly pleased about it either, but if we hold Evernote to that standard (paying us / reducing costs for every feature they remove), we'll probably want to call Apple and inquire about those phone chargers (they won't bundle them with the phones for "amazing reasons," because it was the "right thing to do"--it also enabled them to fit more phones on the pallets and save a huge amount of money). As a paying customer, I don't need rebates or reduced fees. I'd just like to see them get to work restoring the missing features. 

I'm using the old and new version of the app (on Mac). I don't think I've got any major complaints about the user interface (besides the missing stuff). They both have their pros and cons, but overall they get the job done well (for me).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

Hi. The internal note links (creation and use) work fine for me. I am on Mac, though. Is this a problem you are seeing in Windows?

As for the loss of features, I'm not terribly pleased about it either, but if we hold Evernote to that standard (paying us / reducing costs for every feature they remove), we'll probably want to call Apple and inquire about those phone chargers (they won't bundle them with the phones for "amazing reasons," because it was the "right thing to do"--it also enabled them to fit more phones on the pallets and save a huge amount of money). As a paying customer, I don't need rebates or reduced fees. I'd just like to see them get to work restoring the missing features. 

I'm using the old and new version of the app (on Mac). I don't think I've got any major complaints about the user interface (besides the missing stuff). They both have their pros and cons, but overall they get the job done well (for me).

I'm not talking about the internal note links. I'm talking about the "classic notes link" that one could access via the CMD key when right clicking on a note (I'm also on a Mac). This was/is a link that you could use outside of the app that brought you back into the actual app and opened note. (And no, I'm not talking about the Shareable web link, either).

And we're going to have to agree to disagree. When I pay $X for a feature set (which I just renewed prior to this release) and then the new release removes 6-10 key features I have come to rely on, I *do* believe Evernote owes us a partial refund. Your argument about Apple is an entirely separate issue and may/may-not also fall under this same category. I'm talking about Evernote, and they've greatly let me down with this release. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, BigBug said:

I'm not talking about the internal note links. I'm talking about the "classic notes link" that one could access via the CMD key when right clicking on a note (I'm also on a Mac). This was/is a link that you could use outside of the app that brought you back into the actual app and opened note. (And no, I'm not talking about the Shareable web link, either).

And we're going to have to agree to disagree. When I pay $X for a feature set (which I just renewed prior to this release) and then the new release removes 6-10 key features I have come to rely on, I *do* believe Evernote owes us a partial refund. Your argument about Apple is an entirely separate issue and may/may-not also fall under this same category. I'm talking about Evernote, and they've greatly let me down with this release. 

I see. Thanks for clearing up my confusion about the links. Hopefully, they will add in the feature soon.

Of course, agreeing to disagree is probably where we will end up, but I think one difference with this release is that we can easily go back to the legacy version. I am using both right now, and for my workflow, a lot of stuff can still be done with the new version, so I am OK most of the time. And, if I need a particular feature, it is technically still available. However, if features remain missing, at some point the legacy app will presumably lose support, and then I will be done with it. Hopefully, while we have the legacy app, the developers will work the missing features back into the app.

One cautionary tale, though, would be the web version, which was rolled out in a similar fashion (legacy and new version), took ages to progress, and even now still doesn't have critical functionality such as the ability to use it on mobile (last I checked). As a result, I think I might use it once or twice a year. Let's hope Evernote doesn't repeat that process here. I wonder if they think of the new web version as a model or a mistake. 

• Like 1

"How dare you?!" (C) Greta T.

I'm realy old user of the Evernote. 
So, when they killed the list-view design of content from v2.x and gave us v3.x with syncronization it was painfuly but it was worth that.

But today they did something different, didn't they? 
They killed a bunch of key features and give us nothing. It even still can't work with scanner.
And they will unplug the "Evernote Legacy" as they called it now, from syncronization, do you think?
It is unacceptable to me.
I've been paying for premium account several years, but it won't make any sence to proceed, if they are going to do so.
Can I trust them if they do so stupid things?

• Like 1

Thank god for this thread - I thought I was going crazy! First noticed sync issues, then no shareable links....

This is NOT an upgrade! I participated in beta, and submitted some items... This release is a disaster! I'm on a Mac - and echo previous - I'm less concerned about UI than missing functions!

Reverted to Legacy.

Thanks for nods to Notion - though I've been a paying customer on Evernote for years (forever!), will take a look.

Hi, I'm probably a little dense, but I did look around on Evernote site and in the app, and I couldn't find an obvious way to go back to the Legacy previous version. Could someone list the steps required to go backwards? Sorry if this is covered elsewhere...

Long time paying customer, use it for doctoral research, etc. 

I was a beta tester, and was shocked to find it released into the wild the way it was. For me, it's missing some key features, like tabs. I do really miss the ability to set my own fonts; when I asked about this, they said it was to address a problem when sharing notes with people. Well, I don't know how many people share notes. I suppose if it's a corporate or team account, sure. But to *assume* that everyone is working on a team and redesign to that loses you all the non-team users. I don't share notes with anyone but me and my wife, and it's rare. Dropbox did something similar, where they assume every user is corporate by default. Mac users can no longer "lock" their documents stored in Dropbox, because that would interfere with sharing and group document work. 

That said, I have noticed some improvements. I have notes with lots of archival scans of documents, and those seem to be significantly more responsive in some ways now. Probably the result of the rebuilt code base? 

But for the short term, at least, I'm sticking with 7 on OSX, and hoping that these other missing features get added as quickly as possible. 

I mainly use the web version and iOS/iPadOS versions and on the whole I'm happy with v10.

I miss the following on iOS

• Printing
  • Apple Watch support

Things I am keen to have introduced are the two above as well as

• Support for iOS14 shortcuts that will run on the Apple Watch
  • In a recent interview,  Ian Small talks about the thought of Evernote making more use of location data. I couldn't agree more with this. I'd love Evernote to be a Day One replacement. I miss the Atlas/Map function.
  • A better way to share a notes text and attachments with non-Evernote users. Being able to use the share sheet to lift a notes text and attachments and successfully plonk them into another app like Apple Notes without going back and forward copying and pasting would be great. I'm the only user of Evernote in the house and for the rare occasions where I need to share a note content it's just not worth everyone else downloading and creating an account for that one note. 

Syncing in v10 has been solid and reliable for me with 1000+ notes. The web clipper works well but having to open the app afterwards to let it upload is a little bit of a faff, but the end result works so that's a trade off I can live with at the moment.

• Like 1

Oh FFS!  Well I've just registered on Notion, and it's looking EXTREMELY promising.  Much more flexibility and the web version is really slick.  Dark mode ls luscious.  Evernote import is churning away and...

It. Is. Keeping. My. Notebook. Structure. AND. Tags. Intact!  ❤️

And the free personal account has no limits on numbers of notes!  Noice!

But then I install the Mac desktop version and it look identical to the web version.  OK that's fairly standard for modern apps these days.  Oh... hang on... if it's a local version of the web app what about offline note access?  Quick google:

https://www.notion.so/How-can-I-use-Notion-offline-de55148f97c84de3b6e71aa058906be4

If you need to access certain pages when you go offline, open the pages you want while you're still online and keep them open. This will allow Notion to cache the pages for offline editing. We'll sync all changes you make across your devices when you go back online.

We know there's a ways to go on this 😅Improvements to offline support are in progress!

Yes that's right.  Open the pages you want while you're still online.  Is that the best you can do FFS!  💔

Sooo I'm in major rant mode now.  Why the absolute feck can't developers of note apps get the frikin basics right?  Full offline access to 100% of your data without having to pre-prepare,  intuitive tagging, sorting by title, date created, date modified and lightning fast searching.   Stuff that Evernote used to do well

• Like 1
  • Level 5
24 minutes ago, 4d4m said:

Oh FFS!  Well I've just registered on Notion, and it's looking EXTREMELY promising.  Much more flexibility and the web version is really slick.  Dark mode ls luscious.  Evernote import is churning away and...

It. Is. Keeping. My. Notebook. Structure. AND. Tags. Intact!  ❤️

And the free personal account has no limits on numbers of notes!  Noice!

But then I install the Mac desktop version and it look identical to the web version.  OK that's fairly standard for modern apps these days.  Oh... hang on... if it's a local version of the web app what about offline note access?  Quick google:

https://www.notion.so/How-can-I-use-Notion-offline-de55148f97c84de3b6e71aa058906be4

Yes that's right.  Open the pages you want while you're still online.  Is that the best you can do FFS!  💔

Sooo I'm in major rant mode now.  Why the absolute feck can't developers of note apps get the frikin basics right?  Full offline access to 100% of your data without having to pre-prepare,  intuitive tagging, sorting by title, date created, date modified and lightning fast searching.   Stuff that Evernote used to do well

Excellent post! My compliments!!! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Rentgius said:

After 7 years of love, i have my heart cracked... this version ***** my work effort.. I can´t believe this new version... worst ever

You can stay on the old version and see what gets fixed.  That's my strategy for a bit.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

oh the drama in here...

If the feature you really need isn't supported on the new apps then stay on the legacy apps until it is or until you know it definitely won't be or until you've found another better option that meets you use case.

There won't be any refunds, they aren't going to stop developing v10, they'll ship the features that give them the most bangs per buck the quickest.

• Haha 1

@Metrodon might be true but also a good UX and Product team would definitely pay attention to what the users are saying in threads like this. These aren't just people venting for no reason, they're listing specific issues and the reasoning for why they're important. I work as a VP of UX and we definitely would want to know things like this and would take the time to investigate further to see where we maybe misstepped and how to reconsider our near-term roadmap. The last thing you'd want is to piss off a bunch of paying users and just hope they don't find your competitor...

8 hours ago, Metrodon said:

oh the drama in here...

If the feature you really need isn't supported on the new apps then stay on the legacy apps until it is or until you know it definitely won't be or until you've found another better option that meets you use case.

There won't be any refunds, they aren't going to stop developing v10, they'll ship the features that give them the most bangs per buck the quickest.

bad if you‘re an iOS user and have upgraded to the new version - no chance to stay on the legacy version anymore

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, danielperlaky said:

@Metrodon might be true but also a good UX and Product team would definitely pay attention to what the users are saying in threads like this. These aren't just people venting for no reason, they're listing specific issues and the reasoning for why they're important. I work as a VP of UX and we definitely would want to know things like this and would take the time to investigate further to see where we maybe misstepped and how to reconsider our near-term roadmap. The last thing you'd want is to piss off a bunch of paying users and just hope they don't find your competitor...

As a VP of UX I'm sure that along with user feedback you also gather tons of metrics about how your apps are used. I'm sure as an experienced VP of UX you also understand that lots of people just hate change and they will complain about it, even if the changes are positive.

The forum makes up a tiny percentage of Evernote users, whilst the feedback is definitely interesting and useful, people shouldn't get carried away into thinking a few dozen people complaining here equals a mass exodus of users. Take a look at any of the dramatic "I'm leaving and I'm not coming back" threads on this forum and there are as many posts from users who have left and come back as there are throwing their toys out the pram.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5

imho: For all the reasons one can conclude Evernote is managing their software platform migration exceptionally well and their current top-of-the-line production release (version 10) is extremely useful and functional, there are also many reasons others can conclude Evernote has mismanaged their software platform migration and have let loyal customers down given the high bar Evernote has set in the past.

We don't need to convince each other which is the "right" conclusion--we can agree to disagree and agree that it's all subjective based on each of our uniqueness as individuals and how we use the product. We can individually decide to "stick with" Evernote and see where things end up, or jump ship if we feel that's what's in our best interest. 

With everything going on I'm not sure sparring over how we see the current Evernote situation should be on the top of anyone's priority list. 

Again, just my opinion. 

Be well and stay safe! 

_____/ Regards,   

____/ al      

• Level 5
21 hours ago, Bill Young said:

V10 You are going in the wrong direction. 

21 hours ago, Bill Young said:

V10 You are going in the wrong direction. 

Indeed. If V10 was a Train, Plane or Automobile we'd be looking for stand-ins for John Candy and Steve Martin! :)

• Haha 1

A catastrophic upgrade!!!!!
How could you?

Since 2009 i am using EN on all my devices. This is the worse version ever!!! Just useless because everything is just GONE!! ...and it is soo slow!!

How is this possible?

Very, very , VERY disappointing!!!!!!! and on top of that VERY annoying for Evernote!!

But EN does not seem to care... otherwise they would have a fix already...!

I have been using the paid version of Evernote since 2010 (Windows and MacOS) and I have over 5000 items in the database. I took me a while to configure EN the way I needed it to be.

Now, I do fail to understand the motivation behind ***** something up so badly as it was done with the new EN version. Cui bono?

Basic functions have disappeared. Six ugly fonts, when hitting <Crtl-A> in a notebook only 50 entries get selected. "Preferences" does not work any more. No manual sync button, no sync upon signing off. Just look at nonsense error message below.

What goes on the head of a CEO crippling the product of his company in such a manner?

Absolutely awful.  No longer a useful product.  

What are advanced users of Evernote switching to?  Can be a local piece of software (since a user can chose a cloud service for backup).  

• Level 5
2 minutes ago, Badge said:

What are advanced users of Evernote switching to?  Can be a local piece of software (since a user can chose a cloud service for backup).  

I've downgraded back to version 6.* of EN for now, but did look at and was impressed by Notion. 

I've downgraded also, but trust is gone.  Will start migration process as soon as a suitable alternative is found.  Will take a look at Notion, thank you.  

• Level 5
1 minute ago, bswiss56 said:

I moved back to Evernote 7.x - deleted the horrible Evernote 10. Reinstalled Evernote 7.x. All datas are back!

Everything is fine and as expected again now!

I thought 6.25.2.9198 was the last version prior to the #SAD Version 10; Do you have a link handy for downloading EN 7.x? 

Thanks. 

PLEASE, FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, GIVE EVERNOTE A CHANCE TO APOLOGIZE AND IMPROVE. I have been using Evernote since 2011, happily. The last release gives me, like many other fellow users, multiple headaches. A lot of our favorite features are gone. Some new features are not user friendly. Performance is slow. PR was poor. Yes, it should have stayed in beta mode much longer. This holds also true: Evernotes basic intentions for this total make over are legit and logical. They just had to escape the dead end street. Potentially Evernote is still the best organizer out there. I understand the anger and frustration of my fellow users but I encourage everyone to give Evernote a chance to improve version 10. Please, after venting your frustration, give Evernotes developers a break and feed them with detailed, constructive user feedback. I suggest, if possible, you fall back on a recent legacy version. Still superior to the latest Notion, OneNote and others.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oden said:

PLEASE, FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, GIVE EVERNOTE A CHANCE TO APOLOGIZE AND IMPROVE. I have been using Evernote since 2011, happily. The last release gives me, like many other fellow users, multiple headaches. A lot of our favorite features are gone. Some new features are not user friendly. Performance is slow. PR was poor. Yes, it should have stayed in beta mode much longer. This holds also true: Evernotes basic intentions for this total make over are legit and logical. They just had to escape the dead end street. Potentially Evernote is still the best organizer out there. I understand the anger and frustration of my fellow users but I encourage everyone to give Evernote a chance to improve version 10. Please, after venting your frustration, give Evernotes developers a break and feed them with detailed, constructive user feedback. I suggest, if possible, you fall back on a recent legacy version. Still superior to the latest Notion, OneNote and others.

I'm not so sure about your last statement. I, like many others, am very disappointed with this latest version. I have installed the Legacy version, which seems to be a workable solution for now. That said, I did also sign up for a free trial of Notion. All I can say is, "wow." It's very, very good. Is it perfect, no, of course not, but it seems to have many of the features that Evernote took away in V10. It also has a lot of other really interesting features that Evernote never had. I'm definitely going to be using Notion in parallel with Evernote for the next month or so and then reevaluate my path moving forward. If Evernote doesn't return the key features that I've come to rely on so much in that period, and if Notion continues to work as well as it has for me initially, I'm making the switch. Life's too short to stick around on--and keep apologizing for--a sinking ship. 

• Level 5
2 hours ago, oden said:

First of all, let's not blame developers for what senior and project management failures exist in Evernote. As both a software developer and a project management professional (PMP), I can attest how projects like this play out and this is not a developer-driven collapse. I think even suggesting it is is unfair to the Evernote development team. 

Next, I too have been using and paying for Evernote since 2011--daily! Overall I still consider my Evernote experience positive when considering my entire history with it. That said, the past two or so years have been quite lacking--in my opinion--in terms of the frequency and significance of Evernote updates compared to prior years. This would have been acceptable had our patience been rewarded with a Version 10 that at least supported most of the heavily-used features we all rely on. Understand, from what I am reading most Evernote customers understood the need to rewrite the product and many understand it's difficult to migrate a product AND add new features during the same product. But to jettison basic, heavily-promoted (by Evernote), heavily-used (by paying customers) features and declare the release production-ready is--honestly--and insult to current customers. 

Finally, in reading Evernote senior management's response to the outpouring of specific feedback and issues with Version 10... Oh, wait! That's right: There has been no response! This is--in my opinion--much worse than the issues raised by releasing what at best can be considered a Beta Test release as production-ready, as it basically is the shortcut way of responding to our complaints with a very loud: "SO?!"

I am a big believer in personal responsibly, and I think that also applies to business organizations. Evernote senior management is failing to accept responsibility for what is clearly a disaster of their own making. 

...just my two cents. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5
30 minutes ago, BigBug said:

I'm not so sure about your last statement. I, like many others, am very disappointed with this latest version. I have installed the Legacy version, which seems to be a workable solution for now. That said, I did also sign up for a free trial of Notion. All I can say is, "wow." It's very, very good. Is it perfect, no, of course not, but it seems to have many of the features that Evernote took away in V10. It also has a lot of other really interesting features that Evernote never had. I'm definitely going to be using Notion in parallel with Evernote for the next month or so and then reevaluate my path moving forward. If Evernote doesn't return the key features that I've come to rely on so much in that period, and if Notion continues to work as well as it has for me initially, I'm making the switch. Life's too short to stick around on--and keep apologizing for--a sinking ship. 

Agreed. And nice that they have what appears to be a fairly solid Evernote import option. :)

I too have been impressed. 

• Level 5
5 hours ago, bswiss56 said:

I moved back to Evernote 7.x - deleted the horrible Evernote 10. Reinstalled Evernote 7.x. All datas are back!

Everything is fine and as expected again now!

5 hours ago, jcnassoc said:

I thought 6.25.2.9198 was the last version prior to the #SAD Version 10; Do you have a link handy for downloading EN 7.x? 

Thanks. 

I suspect that @bswiss56 is on a Mac, where I think the last previous version was 7. But just guessing.

5 hours ago, Badge said:

have just finished migrating my data to Devonthink, which seems to be what I always hoped for evernote to become...issue is it is mac / ios only though...

Forget about all of the little changes, like removing all but 6 fonts (and then reformatting all of my hundreds of notes).

All of the Preferences are GONE with the macOS version.

So, I can no longer disable super annoying things like automatically adding a period (.) after a word if I add extra spaces to line something up on a column boundary.

I am seriously looking at this pile of dog SH** and wondering if now is the time to move to OneNote.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, krutsch said:

wondering if now is the time to move ...

imho  Now is not the time to move to Evernote's version 10    
            I'm using Evernote's Legacy version

On 10/12/2020 at 11:52 AM, 4d4m said:

I've been an Evernote user since 2012 and a premium subscriber since 2014.  I use the Mac client (v7) on my work machine, two home Windows machines on 6.25, my phone (iOS) and iPad Pro.  I've been using Mac at work since July and been loving the dark mode.  The functionality seems to have some odd omissions versus the Windows client but nothing I couldn't live with.  I came to this post after googling for the copy/paste issue from Outlook, which for a while I thought was user error (I've been getting used to MacOS keyboard shortcuts) or a setting.

So I didn't even know there was a v10 version until googling.  I got excited for a minute or two... then I started reading the feedback and got worried. 

I've got 3700+ notes , about 3000 of which are work related.  I'm very concerned about the time and effort involved in migrating them to another platform, and the cognitive effort to get used to it.  I just don't have the time for that right now!  A while back I tried to migrate to OneNote due to restrictions on my old Win 10 work laptop, and it was a disaster.  The import mangles the notebook stack/notebook/note structure and doesn't do multiple tagging!   

So I'm now thinking I'll have to find something else.  I'm yet to find something that meets my requirements.  Having recently paid my yearly subscription I've now got just under a year to research and switch.  UNLESS some of the things I'm reading here change!  No local notes?? That's ridiculous! My internet is pretty good but if I couldn't refer to my notes during an outage it would be disastrous!  The web version is ok as a backup if I'm on a different device but isn't a suitable platform for the main reference.  This might be the kick I needed to spend some time rolling my own.

This is concerning, as I have multiple years and data as well. What other platforms are you considering?

folks.  evernote said they reengineered everything down to their basic code.  why did you expect the first release to work and have all of the features you are used to?  this is still a company trying to accomplish a turn around...  also, let's be frank, its not like previous releases fixed much (at least of the things that have been annoying to me, i'm looking at you search, styles, tag and notebook organization, etc...)

it seems an open question as to whether evernote plans to abandon their customer base in the hopes of becoming relevant again in the market place (a mistake in my view), or they create decent interoperability with the legacy versions.  I would love to see the latter, but based on many years of history with the company, I don't expect that to happen.

In either case, it seems prudent to back up your databases and expect to use the legacy version for some time, and possibly look to offload parts of your evernote workflow to other apps where a replacement works better.  in other words, the status quo...

5 hours ago, toao said:

have just finished migrating my data to Devonthink, which seems to be what I always hoped for evernote to become...issue is it is mac / ios only though...

Me too. On top of that I requested a refund 

• Like 1
On 10/10/2020 at 4:33 PM, MarcSant said:

It's unbelievable how such a good product can turn into such a bad thing that it induces a customer from years of using the product and the platform to start a process of mass migration of their data to the competition. 

How can a company do not make a market research, a survey among its loyal customers about what they expect or not from a new version. To me, if Evernote continues like this, it really died. And there it is to look for alternatives to other products, which maybe don't have all the features of Evernote but at least they don't charge us for what they can't offer, different from Evernote which keeps charging and at the same time has removed crucial functions for me.

Let's go to the list of CRUCIAL functions that have been removed, and that for me disfigure the whole product:

- There is no way to change the color of lateral toolbar from Dark. 

- There is no way to put shortcuts list in the top of screen. It will not move anymore

- There are only FIVE Fonts. For me that store computer code in the notes, it is A TERRIBLE choice

- Desktop App is a web based one, and notes are not synchronized anymore. Just turn off your Ethernet adapter and the program will not show notes anymore. The proof is that you are able to show "developer options" that show a web page render in the right side of the screen. Another proof is you can use the old classic version side by side with the new one, so the new version 10 is not using the database files that is stored locally.

- I can't change the Interface Language. I like to use English Interface, since I can have a lot of info in foruns instead to get translated the Brazilian version to English one.

- I can't create a Notebook inside the Notebook stack as I always did. You need to first create the Notebook, then move it to stack

- I can't grab a screen capture anymore

- I can't Paste text directly to Evernote note (CTRL+shitf+V) anymore

- I can't import a folder anymore

- I can't un-stack a Notebook from a stack using right click mouse. I need to drag an drop them. 

- I can't narrow a search inside a specific Notebook or Notebook Stack.

- I can't group my tags anymore. I used to group them in a hierarchy but now they can only be presented as a flat list, impssible to work with. 

Please, if you noted some another missing feature, feel free to contribute to this list.

Glad i found this thread. Mind numbingly bad update. I can't even begin to express how badly i want to migrate off now. All my old notes are in strange states of un-editable HTML, old fonts are gone, performance is still bad etc etc. Awful.

• Like 1

HORRIBLE UPDATE !!!! 
JUST HORRIBLE !!!!

I AM IN SEARCH FOR NEW NOTE TAKING SOFTWARE !!! 

for god's sake I cannot even select more then 50 Notes in Mac version !!!!! what is that ??????
Printing cannot put info in different pages !!!! 

there are like 10 issues !!! ( 10 core issues !!!!) 

• Like 1
On 10/26/2020 at 2:05 PM, jcnassoc said:

First of all, let's not blame developers for what senior and project management failures exist in Evernote. As both a software developer and a project management professional (PMP), I can attest how projects like this play out and this is not a developer-driven collapse. I think even suggesting it is is unfair to the Evernote development team. 

Next, I too have been using and paying for Evernote since 2011--daily! Overall I still consider my Evernote experience positive when considering my entire history with it. That said, the past two or so years have been quite lacking--in my opinion--in terms of the frequency and significance of Evernote updates compared to prior years. This would have been acceptable had our patience been rewarded with a Version 10 that at least supported most of the heavily-used features we all rely on. Understand, from what I am reading most Evernote customers understood the need to rewrite the product and many understand it's difficult to migrate a product AND add new features during the same product. But to jettison basic, heavily-promoted (by Evernote), heavily-used (by paying customers) features and declare the release production-ready is--honestly--and insult to current customers. 

Finally, in reading Evernote senior management's response to the outpouring of specific feedback and issues with Version 10... Oh, wait! That's right: There has been no response! This is--in my opinion--much worse than the issues raised by releasing what at best can be considered a Beta Test release as production-ready, as it basically is the shortcut way of responding to our complaints with a very loud: "SO?!"

I am a big believer in personal responsibly, and I think that also applies to business organizations. Evernote senior management is failing to accept responsibility for what is clearly a disaster of their own making. 

...just my two cents. 

What about the codebase? I heard it was a mess and there were limitations on what they could achieve based on their architecture or choices they chose etc. Isn't it at least partially developers choosing a specific way to code up Evernote that has lead to 1 reason to wanting to recode Evernote? I understand other reason wanting one codebase for all platforms etc.

After experiencing things I didn't like with V.10 and reading all the complaints, a bell rang in my head.  Evernote is owned by LogMeIn.

LastPass is also owned by LogMeIn and a very similar update scenario occurred with LastPass.

I am seriously entrenched in both LP & EN as they worked well before their major updates.  In future I am afraid I will be very cautious about using any other products from the LogMeIn stable. 

p.s. 7/11/2020    SORRY SORRY SORRY..... Evernote does not seem to be owned by LogMeIn.  Be very cautious about believing what I say.

Edited by Herbie
correction to incorrect statement