Note Links

markdolph
Go to solution Solved by Nick L.,

Idea

24 replies to this idea

• Solution

The new Evernote for Mac no longer supports Classic Note links, only note links. Although classic note links are not supported anymore, an update coming soon will ensure that note links can behave like classic note links as well.  This means that regular note links will open notes in Evernote when clicked externally in another app. 

If your workflow is dependent on Classic note links and you need more time to adjust, we're making the legacy app available for download and you can have it installed simultaneously.  

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

• Like 1

The in-app link opens the note in the EN application.  However, it does it not open the note in its notebook.  It opens it in 'All Notes'.

The browser link opens the note in the browser.  It used to open in the app too.

• Like 1

I use to be able to quickly create a link to a note and paste it in another note and go back and forth without having to go to the web app. This is no longer available for new notes, however, it does still work with old notes providing a "view" link for my old links. If that's so, then why can't I create new links as "view" links as well?

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Since there's no local storage in v10 it apparently isn't set up to generate a link that could be opened in the legacy app.  You're going to have to continue the legacy version for that...

Oh!  Do you know if they're going to support local storage in a feature version?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, markdolph said:

if they're going to support local storage

Evernote have specifically said they're not - though there is some offline storage of notes to allow for editing and searches when not connected.  

8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Evernote have specifically said they're not - though there is some offline storage of notes to allow for editing and searches when not connected.  

Thanks! That's useful information that I feel I should have  known.  Is there a place where changes in this new release have been summarized?

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, markdolph said:

Is there a place where changes in this new release have been summarized?

Sadly,  no.  Evernote have a pretty spotty history of release notes at the best of times,  but this one has no 'official' documentation other than the blog post.

Over the years, I've gone back and forth between relying primarily on Evernote vs Dropbox for document storage.  Recently I've been tending towards Evernote.  But with Evernote having limited offline capability, I'm feeling a little screwed by this.

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Nick L. said:

The new Evernote for Mac no longer supports Classic Note links

Thanks for information  
I have many classic links in use; both internally and externally    
I guess I'm on my own for the existing external references
Will existing internal in-app links be supported, or converted to the browser format

13 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Classic note links open the linked note in the app;  Ordinary boring note links open the note in a browser.

Thanks. I did notice that internal links opened up the web app in this new Mac app....kinda sucky. But glad to see it is on the near future road map, hopefully near future....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, buckethead said:

I did notice that internal links opened up the web app in this new Mac app....kinda sucky.

From all the discussion around this, I had the mistaken understanding that all internal links created in the new version always open in the browser, but this is not so. If you copy an internal link (via the Note menu) and paste into another note, then you can click on that note from within Evernote app to go to that note within the app. It does not go to the browser if you pasted the internal link correctly and you clicked on it from within the Evernote app.

If you find that the internal link does open in the browser, then perhaps you are making the mistake that I did, which causes the internal link to get converted to a web link on paste. After copying the link, the mistake is to select text in another note and then use “Add link” via right-click or use the Insert Link button on the toolbar. If you do that, the internal link will get converted to a web link. The key is to stay away from the add/insert link functionality for adding an internal link. Instead, rather than selecting text first, just click into the text (no selection) and paste. What gets pasted is an internal link, and then you can still edit the displayed text like always after it is pasted, but it will not get converted to a web link in this case.

The real difference in behavior at this time is that the old links could open a note in the Evernote app even when accessed outside of the app, but this is not possible to get such links in the new version.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:12 PM, Nick L. said:

The new Evernote for Mac no longer supports Classic Note links, only note links. Although classic note links are not supported anymore, an update coming soon will ensure that note links can behave like classic note links as well.  This means that regular note links will open notes in Evernote when clicked externally in another app

Does the section I've bolded also mean that Evernote "note links" in v10 will stay within v10 instead of opening web browsers?
I have numerous IFTTT applets generating notes during the day, and they have links to notes - Legacy opens them within Legacy app... where-as v10 forces a browser to open to Evernote Web.   Any timeline on this particular fix?

I can't find concise info on this anywhere. Will I or will I not eventually be able to put a link to a specific Evernote note (what seems to be called an "app-link" in EN v10 but does nothing) in a separate app like Things 3, click on it, and have it open in the actual Evernote app (whether open or not) and not open up a webpage with a read-only document?

• Level 5*

You CAN open a link in the Evernote app on a desktop,  from another app on that same desktop in the Legacy version.  Evernote (obviously) has to be installed,  and (I would imagine) it has to be already open for the link to work.  How that will work in the new version is currently anyone's guess,  though the current Legacy version does have a link that will open in either the installed version or in a browser if that fails.

@brian_t_grant How are you getting this to work? It seems that everyone is having this problem. The evernote:///view/etc. link will only open in Legacy. I have to go in and selection through application manually each time an app link is clicked but even then it only opens Evernote 10. It doesn’t actually go to the note from which the app link was copied.

Any thoughts?

Big shrug coming for you here, @Aaron7718:  it never stopped working for me. But clearly that's not the case for others. I've read some discussion that suggests that it's the version from the App Store that has this issue and, if you download directly from Evernote, it may work; I have always installed Evernote from direct download.

In any case, there's a thread on which someone has used a utility called SwiftDefaultApps to resolve this issue. It seems to be a solid workaround until Evernote resolves the primary problem. Here's the aforementioned thread:

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The AppStore version on the Mac is the same software, but it runs in a restricted „sandbox“ mode. This reduces the ability of EN to interact with other apps on the Mac, and vice versa. Thus the direct install is in fact the better solution.