What about multi tag search?

Not sure what you mean by this; you will need to be more specific. I'm guessing you mean searching for tag1 OR tag2. Using either search or filter you get a search for tag1 AND tag2. The ability to change this was raised in the beta but so far ignored. You can still do it using the search syntax in the search box. ie any: tag:tag1 tag:tag2 but there is no easy way like in the old version.

One thing I noticed you have to type the tags first for it to recognize.

So let's say you are typing TAG 1...it will recognize it and you can add it by tapping the top arrow. Then let's say you typed a word you are looking for, then hit space, now if you try another tag you have, that TAG 2 will not be recognized as a suggestion. 

Basically, type in your tags up front, select the ones, then type in the word you are looking for last.

11 hours ago, TK0047 said:

So let's say you are typing TAG 1...it will recognize it and you can add it by tapping the top arrow. Then let's say you typed a word you are looking for, then hit space, now if you try another tag you have, that TAG 2 will not be recognized as a suggestion. 

Well spotted. It seems to be a general theme. You can't add notebooks either after adding a tag. So you have to add your search terms in the order:

• notebook,
  • filters - tags and any of the other things that EN calls filters like pdf files, telephone numbers etc
  • text.

Or you can always use the search syntax in any order.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Mike P said:

Yup, which is what I do, however, the suggestion or the new search is built for the non-power user so they don't need to know the search syntax. Thus, I would think you should be able to get a recommendation for a tag or a notebook, whichever order you are typing in the search box as a regular user.

3 hours ago, Mike P said:

You can't add notebooks either after adding a tag.

Interesting, I did not try that one. I think it will be easier for the basic user if there is not a "rule" to follow in the search.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, pepemacias said:

I’ve noticed that this doesn’t work if I want to search into a specific notebook.

That's really weird. Starting from All Notes I've just done:

notebook:@inbox any: tag:MyMeadow tag:$current

Which looks identical to your search string. I got:

image.png.3d25058cabd2e0816d3c789d1a678e7e.png

Which is exactly what I would expect

1 minute ago, pepemacias said:

Another lack regarding the multi tag search that I miss is the possibility of select multiple tags with the mouse using ‘ctrl + left click’. 

Agree completely. I assume you were doing this from the sidebar. I have so many issues with tags in the sidebar. I have a hierarchical tag structure and clicking a tag selects all the child tags as well. So only notes which contain the parent and every single child tag are selected. This makes it pretty much useless for me.

• Like 1
hace 20 minutos, Mike P dijo:

That's really weird. Starting from All Notes I've just done:

notebook:@inbox any: tag:MyMeadow tag:$current

Which looks identical to your search string. I got:

image.png.3d25058cabd2e0816d3c789d1a678e7e.png

Which is exactly what I would expect

Sorry. I've tried again and it works in the Windows desktop software. I have the problem only in the iOS app. My mistake.

I'm going to delete my post and report the issue in the iOS forum.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:53 AM, Mike P said:

Well spotted. It seems to be a general theme. You can't add notebooks either after adding a tag. So you have to add your search terms in the order:

• notebook,
  • filters - tags and any of the other things that EN calls filters like pdf files, telephone numbers etc
  • text.

It appears I was a little bit too definitive. You can sometimes add a notebook after adding a tag. Whether you can add a notebook depends on whether it comes up in the suggested filters. Typing the name of the notebook doesn't help. You are completely dependent on the suggested filters. The filter suggestions are always relevant ie don't include filters which would find notes that are not included in the search results so far. The algorithm that generates the suggestions doesn't always seem to deliver the suggestions I would expect (which is a small step away from saying that it generates a random selection from all the possible relevant filters!).

The way of defeating the algorithm of course, is to use the search syntax, even after having already selected a filter.. So

notebook:mynotebookname

always delivers the goods.

hace 22 horas, Mike P dijo:

Agree completely. I assume you were doing this from the sidebar. I have so many issues with tags in the sidebar. I have a hierarchical tag structure and clicking a tag selects all the child tags as well. So only notes which contain the parent and every single child tag are selected. This makes it pretty much useless for me.

Exactly.  With the multiple selection of tags with ctrl+mouse in the old version we could choose to search with an AND/OR operation. But in addition, selecting multiple tags from the sidebar also allowed us to apply an OR search operation directly through the hierarchical structure, as you said. 

Now we can only do an OR search using the syntax commands.

I’ve created a request thread. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, pepemacias said:

Exactly.  With the multiple selection of tags with ctrl+mouse in the old version we could choose to search with an AND/OR operation. But in addition, selecting multiple tags from the sidebar also allowed us to apply an OR search operation directly through the hierarchical structure, as you said. 

Now we can only do an OR search using the syntax commands.

I’ve created a request thread. 

I loved that functionaility. For me they would need to solve the selecting all child tags issue first as that has stopped me using the sidebar to do tag selection at all. You might be interested in my summary of all the problems with search/filter, a good proportion of which relate to tags.

2 hours ago, sbennett3705 said:

Multi-tag search is a KEY FEATURE and specifically needed by many users of GTD, see: https://thesecretweapon.org/. Please put this on the roadmap.

I would be really interested in whether people who use EN to implement GTD can cope with the time lag between adding or deleting a tag and that change being searchable or filterable.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, Mike P said:

I would be really interested in whether people who use EN to implement GTD can cope with the time lag between adding or deleting a tag and that change being searchable or filterable.

With a sedative perhaps.  Or anyone doing some level of maintenance on notes and trying to validate their work i a timely manner.  Not sure how it effects reminder searches when a date is changed.  That would also be an issue if there is a lag before reminder searches recognize updates.  Major step backwards this lag.

• Level 5

Well, because the different clients always used different convenience methods for using tags in searches I never used them. Instead, I am always using the pure search syntax like "notebook:Projects tag:Project1 -tag:completed" etc. In that way I am not relying on another way a client supports for tag handling. I just had to learn the syntax once about 10 years ago.