Local Database?

Brakkar

Idea

23 replies to this idea

I take "Save data at logout" to mean exactly that - it saves the data to the Evernote servers when you log out.

However, I suspect what the OP may be referring to is Offline notebooks.  When he talks about "entire database downloaded locally", I'm assuming he's talking about all notebooks downloading onto the local device so that it can be used offline.  I'm not on the new version - I'm sticking with v7.14 - but I gather that offline notebooks ARE still supported, but LOCAL notebooks aren't supported any more.  I find that very confusing, but from what I've been able to work out, offline notebooks still sync when you're online, but local notebooks don't. 

So what Evernote has done is take away the ability to have true local notebooks, for stuff you don't need or want to sync to the servers, but kept the ability to download notebooks for use offline.

I think.... ;)

After updating to version 10 all of your notes will be downloaded to your computer from the server. If you check "Save Data" which means you don't have to download them again when logging in again.

They now upload every note you create to their server, and no notes can be chosen to stay only local.

6 hours ago, Alvin C said:

After updating to version 10 all of your notes will be downloaded to your computer from the server. If you check "Save Data" which means you don't have to download them again when logging in again.

They now upload every note you create to their server, and no notes can be chosen to stay only local.

Okay, thank you for your answer. And how can I view the local database file? The method for 7X doesn't work on 10.

2 小時前, Brakkar說:

Okay, thank you for your answer. And how can I view the local database file? The method for 7X doesn't work on 10.

Having tried local notebooks before, but afraid they can't be seen?

• Level 5

@Alvin CThis thread is not about local notebooks ( = notebooks that are only saved on the desktop, not on the server).

It is about the local copy of the server data. Before ver. 10, there was a full copy of the Server data base on the local drive. With ver. 10 this automatic local copy does not exist any more.

31 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

@Alvin CThis thread is not about local notebooks ( = notebooks that are only saved on the desktop, not on the server).

It is about the local copy of the server data. Before ver. 10, there was a full copy of the Server data base on the local drive. With ver. 10 this automatic local copy does not exist any more.

I disabled wifi, and browsed, old content with lots of images. It was still accessible. So I guess the entire database is still stored locally on the HD. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Before ver. 10, there was a full copy of the Server data base on the local drive. With ver. 10 this automatic local copy does not exist any more.

Are you sure about this? (no local offline database)

Hi.

It is a total mystery to me.

Am I really the only person in the world who is interested WHERE the local Evernote data is stored? Despite me searching web & forums for a good 45 min, I could not find one word about this.

For various reasons, I do not want to store my data locally on my Macbook (I do have 4 TB SSD, so space as such is not my concern).

Having the local data files on an external drive is the only acceptable option for me but I am reluctant to try the new version because I am afraid that it will immediately start to clutter my hard drive with my entire cloud database. The old Mac version sure did just that and gave no option to change the offline folder location - which is why I uninstalled (from my older MacBook which had a tiny 256 GB SSD where space was a concern).

Is there an option to specify the storage location of the local files in the new Evernote Mac version? Otherwise I will have to continue just using the Web version, but the local version would be much nicer.

Thank you

Arnulf

On 10/15/2020 at 10:04 AM, arnmayer said:

Hi.

It is a total mystery to me.

Am I really the only person in the world who is interested WHERE the local Evernote data is stored? Despite me searching web & forums for a good 45 min, I could not find one word about this.

For various reasons, I do not want to store my data locally on my Macbook (I do have 4 TB SSD, so space as such is not my concern).

Having the local data files on an external drive is the only acceptable option for me but I am reluctant to try the new version because I am afraid that it will immediately start to clutter my hard drive with my entire cloud database. The old Mac version sure did just that and gave no option to change the offline folder location - which is why I uninstalled (from my older MacBook which had a tiny 256 GB SSD where space was a concern).

Is there an option to specify the storage location of the local files in the new Evernote Mac version? Otherwise I will have to continue just using the Web version, but the local version would be much nicer.

Thank you

Arnulf

your notes are stored here:

user/Library/GroupContainers/Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote/CoreNote/

but I don't that this information will help you

• Level 5

Depending on your previous installations, and on whether you have used App Store or evernote.com for downloads, your offline, synced database can exist in three different locations (not sure why). Updates may therefore require the creation of a whole new offline database.

This can take a substantial amount of time (even a week). For me EN appears to download a few notes at a time, but then seems to go to sleep. I suggest two approaches to speed this up:

1. Keep the app open at all times

2. Occasionally do searches or click on a notebook -- just do stuff -- and EN will wake up.

You can check on the progress of this download in a couple of ways

1. Look at the number of "All Notes" when connected to the internet versus when offline: you'll find that the latter gradually approaches the former.

2. If you have App Cleaner you can monitor the size of the database and the number of files. I was amazed to learn that this can contain several hundred thousand files

• Level 5

It is not a Cache, it is your local database file build to work offline. You can dump it through EN settings: 

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q). When asked confirm "Remove Data from This Device".
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
Leave that „Keep data“ switch off unless you want to work offline.

And next time I would spend a little more on Flash memory (I know the price tags Apple puts up on this).

I have no option for "Keep data when leaving“ under preferences. I'm on a Mac.

I have a ton of Flash memory, more than sufficient even for me who does high resolution landscape photos, 10 photos stitched together, etc. Evernote taking up half my memory is absurd. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Rebecca123 said:

I have no option for "Keep data when leaving“ under preferences. I'm on a Mac.

Please post a screenshot of your Preferences menu

Here's the screenshot from my Mac1045891358_ScreenShot2022-02-21at13_23_51.png.69c8c86cbd70a691aa084efc1a82913b.png

I just don't have what you all are seeing. On mac, when I go to evernote, preferences, it doesn't open up a drop down menu. It opens a pop out menu with no options regarding saving local files. And since I backup my entire photography library with evernote, which is why mine is way too big.

Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 12.44.52 PM.png

• Level 5

Sure, because you are on a deprecated, outdated, old version of EN, one of the legacy clients. From how it looks, it’s probably 7.14 for the Mac.

This software is abandoned since nearly 3 years now. EN still keeps it syncing, we all don’t know for how long.

You can stay with this software, until it stops syncing one day. Or you upgrade to v10, installer available from the EN website (I wouldn’t go for the AppStore version). You just should be aware that a return to legacy may be more difficult today than it was a year ago, when EN still officially provided the legacy installer themselves.

About saving your pictures there: That’s something you can do, but IMHO it is among the worst solutions you can use for saving your picture library. It does not only create a huge database, it either does not really support functions that help with organizing and working with a larger number of pictures.

I like this version a lot so I think I'll stick with it. I recall upgrading back in the day, and evernote didn't work for four days, systemwide BOTCH. Killed my productivity that week. Never again.

Evernote is a redundant solution to back up my photos for me and not my primary way of backing up or organizing but probably pretty much the third redundant backup. Any photographer worth their salt has at least double or triple backups.. I'll continue to triple backup using Evernote.