Local Database?

Brakkar

Idea

Hi,

is the entire database downloaded locally on the 10 version? When I installed it from scratch, there was no particular downloads of all my gigas. So how does 10 works in relation to the db?

12 replies to this idea

I take "Save data at logout" to mean exactly that - it saves the data to the Evernote servers when you log out.

However, I suspect what the OP may be referring to is Offline notebooks.  When he talks about "entire database downloaded locally", I'm assuming he's talking about all notebooks downloading onto the local device so that it can be used offline.  I'm not on the new version - I'm sticking with v7.14 - but I gather that offline notebooks ARE still supported, but LOCAL notebooks aren't supported any more.  I find that very confusing, but from what I've been able to work out, offline notebooks still sync when you're online, but local notebooks don't. 

So what Evernote has done is take away the ability to have true local notebooks, for stuff you don't need or want to sync to the servers, but kept the ability to download notebooks for use offline.

I think.... ;)

After updating to version 10 all of your notes will be downloaded to your computer from the server. If you check "Save Data" which means you don't have to download them again when logging in again.

They now upload every note you create to their server, and no notes can be chosen to stay only local.

6 hours ago, Alvin C said:

After updating to version 10 all of your notes will be downloaded to your computer from the server. If you check "Save Data" which means you don't have to download them again when logging in again.

They now upload every note you create to their server, and no notes can be chosen to stay only local.

Okay, thank you for your answer. And how can I view the local database file? The method for 7X doesn't work on 10.

2 小時前, Brakkar說:

Okay, thank you for your answer. And how can I view the local database file? The method for 7X doesn't work on 10.

Having tried local notebooks before, but afraid they can't be seen?

• Level 5

@Alvin CThis thread is not about local notebooks ( = notebooks that are only saved on the desktop, not on the server).

It is about the local copy of the server data. Before ver. 10, there was a full copy of the Server data base on the local drive. With ver. 10 this automatic local copy does not exist any more.

31 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

@Alvin CThis thread is not about local notebooks ( = notebooks that are only saved on the desktop, not on the server).

It is about the local copy of the server data. Before ver. 10, there was a full copy of the Server data base on the local drive. With ver. 10 this automatic local copy does not exist any more.

I disabled wifi, and browsed, old content with lots of images. It was still accessible. So I guess the entire database is still stored locally on the HD. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Before ver. 10, there was a full copy of the Server data base on the local drive. With ver. 10 this automatic local copy does not exist any more.

Are you sure about this? (no local offline database)

• Level 5

AFAIK it depends on the selection in settings, whether it is created or not.

The second issue is the access seems to be bound to being online (or at least opening EN and keeping it open before going offline).

Hi.

It is a total mystery to me.

Am I really the only person in the world who is interested WHERE the local Evernote data is stored? Despite me searching web & forums for a good 45 min, I could not find one word about this.

For various reasons, I do not want to store my data locally on my Macbook (I do have 4 TB SSD, so space as such is not my concern).

Having the local data files on an external drive is the only acceptable option for me but I am reluctant to try the new version because I am afraid that it will immediately start to clutter my hard drive with my entire cloud database. The old Mac version sure did just that and gave no option to change the offline folder location - which is why I uninstalled (from my older MacBook which had a tiny 256 GB SSD where space was a concern).

Is there an option to specify the storage location of the local files in the new Evernote Mac version? Otherwise I will have to continue just using the Web version, but the local version would be much nicer.

Thank you

Arnulf

On 10/15/2020 at 10:04 AM, arnmayer said:

Hi.

It is a total mystery to me.

Am I really the only person in the world who is interested WHERE the local Evernote data is stored? Despite me searching web & forums for a good 45 min, I could not find one word about this.

For various reasons, I do not want to store my data locally on my Macbook (I do have 4 TB SSD, so space as such is not my concern).

Having the local data files on an external drive is the only acceptable option for me but I am reluctant to try the new version because I am afraid that it will immediately start to clutter my hard drive with my entire cloud database. The old Mac version sure did just that and gave no option to change the offline folder location - which is why I uninstalled (from my older MacBook which had a tiny 256 GB SSD where space was a concern).

Is there an option to specify the storage location of the local files in the new Evernote Mac version? Otherwise I will have to continue just using the Web version, but the local version would be much nicer.

Thank you

Arnulf

your notes are stored here:

user/Library/GroupContainers/Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote/CoreNote/

but I don't that this information will help you