Evernote 10: Internal note links

I make heavy use of internal note links. They do not seem to work in the new EN 10. I can copy the internal note link to the clipboard. And then I can paste that link into another note. But when I click on the green hyperlink.... nothing.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Thanks, @gazumped, that's very helpful, especially the info that they're working on an update such that even evernote.com style note links clicked in another program will open in the desktop app rather than in a browser. At least, that's what I understood it to say.

Hmm, "classic" vs. "new" ... what utterly disastrous product update does that remind me of? Some kind of brown beverage in a red can, I think.... :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
On 10/12/2020 at 1:40 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

that they're working on an update such that even evernote.com style note links clicked in another program will open in the desktop app rather than in

I installed the "new" Evernote, quite excited about the refresh, but for me the lack of an internal link makes it unusable. My workflow depends on an internal link, as I use Todoist as a task manager, and I link notes to my tasks on a regular basis. I don't want it to take me to the web version of the note - I want it take me to the desktop version so I'm not distracted by the web. I often work with the internet offline.  This makes my workflow unusable!

Very disappointing update so far. I hope they add this back in!  In the meantime, I'll go back to the "classic" version.

• Evernote Expert

Internal Links work for me BUT they are more tedious than previously.  I click the Internal Link and it opens a dialogue with the note link displayed. Then I have to click on that to jump to the note inside the desktop application.

I agree with you agsteele.  I am using Windows though.  They work but they are more tedious.  Where use to be you could click on the text link, now  you click on the text link and then the link.    This doesn't seem like an improvement. 

I think the issue is around the use of the links in other programs not within EN itself. If you paste the link into todoist you will end up going to the web version of EN when you click the link rather than to the Windows app. This is because it's a web link not on an evernote:////.... type link. In the legacy version you could easily generate either formats. You can find the internal format by editing a link but it is not guaranteed to work as expected. It looks like this is work in progress so hopefully it will get sorted soon.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:50 PM, agsteele said:

Internal Links work for me BUT they are more tedious than previously.  I click the Internal Link and it opens a dialogue with the note link displayed. Then I have to click on that to jump to the note inside the desktop application.

Ctrl clicking helped here for me. 

• Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...

I just updated to latest release this weekend and was thouroughly upset over the broken hyperlinks feature in my notes. I can no longer move between notes within the same note window as I could previously.

This is insanity to release a new version without this important capability. This is an obvious flaw and a huge step backwards in capability. Do they not test their new releases to get feedback before going to general release? What kind of software development is going on at Evernote that they break such an important feature as functional hyperlinks within notes?

Please get this capability back into the software immediately. Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, DCB0303 said:

I can copy an internal app link

?

1 hour ago, DCB0303 said:

I get a message saying 17 links copied (in a blue box)

Hi.  That would be a selection of links.  Have you tried just clicking in a note or document body and right-click pasting the links?

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Have you tried just clicking in a note or document body and right-click pasting the links?

If you have copied multiple links and copy them into a numbered list you can drag and drop the items around to get them in the order you want them.

• 4 months later...

If you drag a note from one to another in the Windows Client the default link will be a https://evernote link, but if right click the note, copy internal link, app link, you can the paste into another note. Alternatively CTRL-ALT-L is the shortcut with a note selected to copy the internal link.

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/note_links.php

• 1 month later...

Months on still not fixed - Technical support (27 May 2021) did not mention of fixing / adding this 'feature'. There only suggestion was redo them in version 10. They must be mad I have 19,000 notes!  Now I really can't see me leaving the Legacy version.

@doctorkeoNot sure what you mean - I can copy an internal link now (it was created a few updates ago).  The hotkey is CTRL+ALT+L when you are on the note. This will copy the internal link, and you can paste in any program.  It works for me.

13 minutes ago, doctorkeo said:

Months on still not fixed - Technical support (27 May 2021) did not mention of fixing / adding this 'feature'. There only suggestion was redo them in version 10. They must be mad I have 19,000 notes!  Now I really can't see me leaving the Legacy version.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@EricBen Hi,  Sorry I didn't your post until today. I will download the new version and try again. On the day you posted your comment I received this from Evernote

Anna A. (Evernote Help and Learning)

May 27, 2021, 7:22 PDT

Hello Anthony,

Thanks for writing back.

I will bullet your concerns below and put my responses below for easier reference:

Are you saying that unless I’m connected to the internet, the old links will only work on the Legacy version?

·        Yes, that is correct. If you want, you can start doing the provided workaround on my previous email. With this, you can recreate the affected notes with internal links on Legacy so you would be able to click on it without being redirected to the web version.

Below are the steps of another workaround that I managed to discover. You may want to try this instead if this will be easier for you (compared to the first workaround provided):

1.    Open Evernote Legacy.

2.    Select the note where you want to copy the internal link.

3.    Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt + L (Note: Please make sure to use this shortcut instead and not the Copy internal link from the list of options)

4.    Create a new note.

5.    Right click on the editor and select Hyperlink.

6.    Choose "Add" and paste the copied link via Ctrl + V.

Database rebuild concern: Download speed isn't great.

·        I apologize if I cannot provide a workaround for this. It is not recommended to connect to a different network, since the down sync process is currently ongoing. We do not want to interrupt it so the data can smoothly transfer from the server to your Windows application. If this is taking too much of your time and you need to use the app, you can use Evernote Web instead to access your data.

On the other hand, please do know that I understand your frustration regarding the note links. As a paid user of Evernote, this is not typically the situation that we would want you to experience. I hope you can bear with the inconvenience, while our team is continuously working on improving the app to become a better platform for all of its users in order to serve you better.

Your patience and utmost understanding on this matter is greatly appreciated, Anthony.

Best regards,

Anna A.
Customer Support Representative

Isn't the customer support saying it doesn't work?

To be clear - what I am complaining about is that all of the old internal links only link to the web notes and not the locally held notes. So when I'm using Evernote not connected to the internet the hot links will not work. OR am I just doing something wrong?

Doc 

• Level 5

Seems like this. V10 is really an online tool, cloud based. The offline approach in my opinion is working better on mobile than with desktop, however there restricted by sandboxing in addition to having no server link.

But feel yourself elected: It says you are a paid EN user - we poor fellow users are stuck to be paying users.

😉