Evernote 10 Hotkeys

Tim Kowal (b)

Idea

In the new Evernote 10, how do I quickly search my Notebooks or Tags? I relied heavily on Ctrl+F1 to find and go to a Notebook quickly, and Ctrl+F2 to find and go to a Tag quickly. How do I do that with EN 10?

The main search, Ctrl+Alt+S, sometimes lists the desired result, but if there are other notes or tags or notebooks also matching the search term, it crowds out other results. So it is no longer as functional.

26 replies to this idea

Without the quick keyboard combinations and reconnected functions, I think that power users (who are naturally the most loyal subscribers), are losing confidence and looking for plausible alternatives (not just apps, but sometimes just different routines ...).
ctrl + alt + t allows you to insert tags like a ninja.
ctrl + q + additional tags is a deadly weapon for researcher.
cltr + alt + n is very handy on whatever window you are ...
And I could go on.

Personally I hoped it was clear and they intended to extend these functions to the mobile version and not vice versa.

So it is breaking the toy in the name of a design uniformity that is not the main point of interest for those who use intensely and love Evernote.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, MvdH said:

You mention thé three hotkeys I use all day. And the like a ninja part is very important to me.  The Ctrl+Alt+T window allows me to type the start of a tag, hit space to (un)check it, type another one, another one, another one. It takes me 3 seconds to (un)check 5 tags. I cannot do that anymore. If this speed-use doesn't come back I'll have to stick to old Evernote, or find something else that allows for ninja-usage, or change my ways.... The latter must still fit my needs ofcourse. 😉

I agree that removing tags is no longer very quick. Arguably the fastest way of removing tags in the legacy version is to hover over the tag and click the cross. Now you have to hit the down arrow and then remove tag for each one. A version of Alt-ctrl-T still exists but it is only available when the focus is on a note in the note list not when you are editing a note. I hope that will change. The menu command (note -> edit tag) is accessible in both contexts. It probably isn't easy to use in the way you describe either. In my opinion the new edit tags menu has potential but still needs quite alot of improvement.

Ctrl + Alt + T ►Not available

Ctrl + Q ► Not available

Ctrl + Alt + N ► Not available

etc.

too many steps back, far from the keyboard and usability in the destkop version

• Like 3

I am reporting some inconsistent/unreliable behavior on some hotkeys:

The Ctrl+Alt+1 Ctrl+Alt+2 Ctrl+Alt+3 hotkeys to bring up the All Notes, All Notebooks, and All Tags screens, do not work reliably. I have not been able to figure out how to get them to work, but sometimes they will just start working. But then they will stop working again.

10 hours ago, Tim Kowal (b) said:

I am reporting some inconsistent/unreliable behavior on some hotkeys:

The Ctrl+Alt+1 Ctrl+Alt+2 Ctrl+Alt+3 hotkeys to bring up the All Notes, All Notebooks, and All Tags screens, do not work reliably. I have not been able to figure out how to get them to work, but sometimes they will just start working. But then they will stop working again.

Nice info, thanks.

The issue of shorcut keys only working in some situations has been a recurring theme throughout the preview, beta and now release stages. Some are clearly bugs (alt-ctrl-F doesn't work if the sidebar is collapsed - well it does it just doesn't pop the side bar out so you can actually see it). Some are definitely context specific. If you are editing a note, none of the shortcuts you might expect to work do so - only the note editing shortcuts (such as they are).

Your ctrl-alt-number shorcuts seem to work reliably for me if and only if the focus is on a note in the notelist.

On 10/9/2020 at 8:56 PM, kuto said:

Ctrl + Alt + T ►Not available

Ctrl + Q ► Not available

Ctrl + Alt + N ► Not available

etc.

too many steps back, far from the keyboard and usability in the destkop version

While not documented in the link above alt - ctrl - T does work provided the focus is on a note in the note list. They made a big thing about it when it came out in the beta so I'm surprised EN have forgotten all about it now!

I find the general usage of this version generally clunky. Sometimes the key shortucts work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they work when the focus is on the notes list, sometimes in the note itself. Unnecesarily frustrating. This worked great in the previous version.

Another thing, the previous shortcut F2 to jump to the note's title does not work anymore...

On 10/13/2020 at 8:36 AM, Tim Kowal (b) said:

F3 and Ctrl+Alt+T also do not work reliably.

In the Ctrl+Alt+T screen to add tags, there is no ability to create a new tag. That has to be done in the status bar upon pressing F3. Obvious oversight.

Agreed, overall, hotkeys aren't working properly. 

F2 for note's titles isn't working at all

This is embarrassing, scanning the numerous list of keyboard shortcuts removed in a new version is crazy ( https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004807 ) . Literally the first sentence on this page was the primary reason I use evernote "Evernote can be driven almost entirely using only the keyboard." Why on earth would the even the basic "Win + Shift + F" be removed....

• Like 1
On 10/13/2020 at 10:16 PM, kuto said:

Without the quick keyboard combinations and reconnected functions, I think that power users (who are naturally the most loyal subscribers), are losing confidence and looking for plausible alternatives (not just apps, but sometimes just different routines ...).
ctrl + alt + t allows you to insert tags like a ninja.
ctrl + q + additional tags is a deadly weapon for researcher.
cltr + alt + n is very handy on whatever window you are ...
And I could go on.

Personally I hoped it was clear and they intended to extend these functions to the mobile version and not vice versa.

So it is breaking the toy in the name of a design uniformity that is not the main point of interest for those who use intensely and love Evernote.

You mention thé three hotkeys I use all day. And the like a ninja part is very important to me.  The Ctrl+Alt+T window allows me to type the start of a tag, hit space to (un)check it, type another one, another one, another one. It takes me 3 seconds to (un)check 5 tags. I cannot do that anymore. If this speed-use doesn't come back I'll have to stick to old Evernote, or find something else that allows for ninja-usage, or change my ways.... The latter must still fit my needs ofcourse. 😉

• Like 1

Tags and features reconnected to tags no longer appear to be a priority for Evernote (see the CEO interview on Engadget).
In fact, what transpires is not only the effort to have coherent versions (a single base for all platforms, with lower development costs, but also less adherence to users' needs), but also the ambition to become manistream, flattening on the needs of average users.
Not realizing, in my opinion, the fact that average users already have many easy solutions at no cost for their annotations, often reconnected to operating systems and environments familiar to them (Microsoft, Apple, Google).
Instead of strategically cultivating one's difference and distinctive competencies, one tries to flatten oneself on concepts on which they are already better and more widely positioned.

• Like 1
On 10/23/2020 at 1:25 PM, yavin said:

Why on earth would the even the basic "Win + Shift + F" be removed....

One reason for that would be anything using the Win key may be usurped by Microsoft. A program not use the Win key as an accelerator (by default).

I remember when I was there, we used to use Win+Shift+S for screen capture. Then Windows 10 came along and "stole" it. I remember posting messages here for months saying "you need to change the key you have assigned". (Legacy's default was eventually changed to ctrl+alt+s)

Hi :)

I am testing keyboard shortcuts on my Evernote 10.5.7 windows store version and a lot aren't working for me.

For instance i miss the old CTRL + Alt + T to display and search in all my tags.

I explore the new CTRL + /  (this shortcut work) and i see i could "Open my tags" with Ctrl Alt 5 :

bQ3Q3ie.png

I try but it doesnt' work :( .

I explore this evernote article : https://help.evernote.com/hc/fr/articles/209004807-Raccourcis-clavier-dans-Evernote-pour-Windows

And i'm surprised to see that the shortcut to "Display tag list" is Ctrl Alt 3

SVHDXB4.png

But it doesn't work also...

I try others shortcuts like Ctrl Alt "number" : nothing work.

I tried to quit some of my others apps using shortcuts (share x, ditto, phraseexpress) : same issue.

Am i doing something wrong ?

1 hour ago, nonobio said:

I am testing keyboard shortcuts on my Evernote 10.5.7 windows store version and a lot aren't working for me.

The problem is that many of the shortcuts only work in certain contexts and even then not always reliably.

alt-ctrl-5 seems to work for me in all the different places I've tried. The numbers have recently changed in order to reserve alt-ctrl-1 for the new Home page currently in beta. The documentation obviously hasn't been updated.  ctrl-alt-5 doesn't work for me but 2, 4, and 6 do.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I would certainly try them when you are in edit mode and not in edit mode. (Look to see if the edit tool bar is at the top of the note).

On 12/23/2020 at 9:46 AM, Mike P said:

The problem is that many of the shortcuts only work in certain contexts and even then not always reliably.

alt-ctrl-5 seems to work for me in all the different places I've tried. The numbers have recently changed in order to reserve alt-ctrl-1 for the new Home page currently in beta. The documentation obviously hasn't been updated.  ctrl-alt-5 doesn't work for me but 2, 4, and 6 do.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I would certainly try them when you are in edit mode and not in edit mode. (Look to see if the edit tool bar is at the top of the note).

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I succeded to use shortcut after enter in edition mode; thanks for the tip. After that, shortcuts works sometimes, but not every time.

I sometimes have to enter again in edit mode to make shortcuts working again.

I hope it will be better in next versions.

So they recently started implementing global shortcuts which is a step in the right direction. But one of my most used shortcuts was previously the global "Search in Evernote" shortcut. While this does indeed take you to the evernote search bar from elsewhere in windows it seems counter-intuitive that your previous searched tags are still active. This also behaves differently from previous evernote versions where a global search started a NEW search query. Please revert this behavior back the original flow. Using a global search keyboard shortcut should not require you to then use the mouse to remove previous searched tags. This pretty much cancels out the usability of the intended shortcut.

How do I download my notes for offline use? They all seem to be loading from the internet. Not very practical in the event of an internet outage when you need to have access to important business files. And everything is soooo slow compared to old version...

I am going back with Legacy...

• Level 5

They download automatically if in preferences the setting „Remove my Evernote data from this device“ is disabled.

To use it when offline you need to be logged in before going offline.

You can close EN, you can shut down the computer - just do not log out.

There are advanced options to reload or force reload as well.