Request: return of (GPS / address) location data field in note details

stocky2605

Idea

12 replies to this idea

It also does not show in Windows or on the web (although it is still showing in Android).

I just want to emphasise how important the location information is, even if I cannot view all my notes on a map any more or sort by location. I used Evernote to take notes during fieldwork, and the locations I stored in the location field are where I took samples from. That location data is crucial for my research.

I understand that fancy features using the location data may not be high on your list of priorities; however, removing data I thought was safe in Evernote is not good. If I have to manually copy and paste the coordinates into a separate mapping program (e.g., Google Maps) that would be fine, but right now I can't even do that.

• Like 2

I just couldn't believe that Evernote would just drop such a (for some) critical feature WITHOUT INFORMING ahead of upgrading.....but it's true! This speaks of enormous arrogance of the company/developers.  Reinstalling the old version now, hoping the data is still in there and looking finally for an alternative to Evernote.

• Like 1

The Evernote geolocation features have been gradually wound back over the last 10 (?) years. Does anyone remember the maps with pin locating note creation points?

I have extensively used these features since their introduction and deem location notes to be an essential part of modern data collection (duh) e.g. if you capture a photo into Evernote, don't you expect to be able to see the location in the note? They are also an important part of recall e.g. how to I find the note that I took while working in Timbuktu?

I have manually updated the locations for many years and needless to say, the final demise of the geo-location meta-data visibility in version 10 is crushing.

You would think that geolocation would be one feature differentiator to OneNote.

Perhaps the cost of Google Maps services has become too dear for the Evernote, which seems to cost more and delivery less useful functionality every year (whilst removing "legacy" maintenance responsibilities)?

Sorry for the rant but I think I have been around long enough to deserve a bit of a soapbox. I am just waiting for an opportunity to find some time to jump to a more sailable ship.

• Like 2

Having GPS coordinates shown as text is enough for me as I take notes offline in many positions on the globe and need to record these positions with notes & images. The ability to Insert this into note or just attached to note automatic would be great.

Yet another very useful and used feature that has been removed. Some are progressing and Evernote is regressing. This is a petty. Besides it would be so nice to get to know this before you upgrade to a newer version. I have been using Evernote to store POIs. A long time ago I could even display all my POI on a map straight from Evernote.  They removed this one first. I had to build my own app to replace this. Now I will have to hack my own position tag to get the functionality back. At one point of time when Evernote is just yet another note taking app then ...

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, jpservices said:

Yet another very useful and used feature that has been removed. Some are progressing and Evernote is regressing. This is a petty. Besides it would be so nice to get to know this before you upgrade to a newer version. I have been using Evernote to store POIs. A long time ago I could even display all my POI on a map straight from Evernote.  They removed this one first. I had to build my own app to replace this. Now I will have to hack my own position tag to get the functionality back. At one point of time when Evernote is just yet another note taking app then ...

Geographical search is now a feature of the professional tier. I assume this tier will display the information as well as allow you to search for it but I don't know. The information is still in the enex file if you download it and the traditional search grammar method of searching for it still works.

I agree that hiding the data from me is just petty even if they don't want me to use their new geographical search method.

• Like 1

I wonder why companies make such stupid mistakes by removing a feature people are looking for! This GPS feature makes Evernote prevalent. It seems that Evernote management intends to kill Evernote. The only benefit of Evernote over the other note-taking apps is the GPS/location feature. If it is not there, I will look for better notes. As a matter of fact, Paper Of Dropbox is way better than Evernote, and it is connected to Dropbox. I am paying for Dropbox anyhow. So I will use Dropbox Paper for free. Why should I pay money for a service that I have for free already?

• Level 5

Anything to say ? Or just uninformed ranting ?

The location information is there, if the note was created on a mobile device, with GPS enabled and allowed for the EN app to use.

When opening such a note in the mobile device, note information, you see the map location where the note was created, and can even change it.

Using advanced search syntax, notes can be searched based on location criteria.

These are the facts,  beyond thin hot air.