Edit encrypted text

djhendra
Go to solution Solved by gbarry,

Idea

• Solution

Hi everyone--improvements to encryption are now available on 10.24. You can now reveal and edit an encrypted block of text without permanently decrypting it first. You can open up the encrypted block, make edits, and also find in note to locate content within the encrypted block before closing. The text will be re-encrypted as soon as you navigate to a different note.

• Like 3

This change in method is an enormous mistake, Evernote. I struggle to see how fixing this is not a top priority for you. Instead, today we see an update that brings a bunch of far less important changes. Please, bite the bullet and reassign some of your developers' effort until this is encrypt block editing nonsense is properly fixed. I've been a paying customer for years and I hope that counts for something. Thank you.

• Like 9

Hey all,  

This is the anticipated behavior for now, but our engineering team is working towards implementing a more seamless experience for editing encryption blocks. 

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! 

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Princeton said:

Thanks ysmchiu

Is there an official place to up-vote feature requests?  I would vote for restoring this one

The vote button is at the top left corner of the discussion    167102628_ScreenShot2020-11-03at8_00_15AM.png.ad5b177920ab784de028861db02efb45.png

• Like 5
  • Evernote Expert

A proof of concept rather than a resolution...

Like others I have been struggling with how to work around the text encryption stuff in EN v10.

• It doesn't support encrypt in place
  • Editing of text in place whilst temporarily decrypted is synchronised to the servers in plain text
  • Formatted text cannot be encrypted (including with bulleted lists etc)

It seemed to me that the Evernote encryption inside a text has never been a well worked solution. Some of these issues existed in earlier versions.

So I've worked on a solution which is OKfor me. I've proved this for Windows using the free 7zip program and the mostly free AxCrypt. It will also work for text files and for formatted documents from, say, a word processor or spreadsheet.

• Instead of typing the text to be encrypted directly into an Evernote note, instead create a document in your program of choice - for example Notepad.
  • Using AxCrypt encrypt the file created. (With 7zip create a password protected .7z archive).
  • Drag and drop the password protected file into an Evernote note.
  • To access double clip the encrypted document and do the necessary to decrypt and open the document. 
  • Make edits etc and save and only then close the encrypted archive. This will save back into the Evernote note retaining all the changes and not requiring a re-encrypt process. Do not use save and close in one process. Always save first.

This process ensures that the decryption takes place outside Evernote so cannot be synchronised to the servers whilst the editing is underway. It works with multiple format documents so layout and formatting are retained. Editing takes place in place in the stored document which gets saved back into the encrypted archive which is then updated inside Evernote. The main disadvantage are the extra steps but it resolves some issues that others have with encryption in the legacy version.

I have a small preference for AxCrypt as there is an app (both Android and iOS) so the encrypted archive can be accessed across platforms. AxCrypt would only work with Mac OS with a paid for subscription. The 7zip option only seems to work with the .7z format archive rather than .zip but it may be possible to use a different zip archiving program (perhaps even Windows itself but I haven't tried) to encrypt a zip file which would then work. There is no doubt a similar Mac OS program which will create zip archives.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I have reverted back to the Legacy version on my Windows machine.. but I also have automatic replication happening to my iOS and MacOS devices.  The legacy version still works (for now), but just to be sure I'm starting to copy the encrypted stuff into a backup Word file and encrypt those.. just in case I can't open/decrypt it in the future and get a "sorry the older version isn't officially supported" type of response.

I am also a PREMIUM member, but not sure for how much longer

I can't believe Evernote still haven't addressed this after close to 6 months and despite numerous people raising it as a critical issue. This isn't easy because I've used Evernote for about 10 years, but I've had enough and I'm moving to another platform.

If the app isn't doing what you want as a user and the developers refuse to respond to feedback, I suggest you do the same. 

Same issues, here... I'm not able to edit the encrypted portion of the note... Once decrypted and re-encrypted the note loses all formatting...

v 9.6.0 build 1749 beta
Editor: v107.3.13847
Service: v1.20.9
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

3 hours ago, CalS said:

So if a sync occurs during the editing an un-encrypted version could be placed in history?  If that is the case it kind of defeats the purpose of encryption doesn't it?

This is an extremely serious matter. If the new EN can't assure zero exposure of encrypted information, it's useless to anyone working with sensitive data.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I can’t search within encrypted notes without unencrypting, and then encrypting again!?

I can’t edit encrypted notes?

Why has what used to work so simply become so difficulty, unintuitive or impossible?

What is going on!?  This is terrible and stops me operating with EN. 

Also when I access a non-encrypted note, it starts at the bottom, so I have to scroll up to the top, tap edit..and by that time I have forgotten what gem I was going to make a note of.

After over 8 years, is it time to look elsewhere?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I agree. The whole reason I use Evernote is to be able to edit encrypted notes on my desktop. This functionality needs to be restored ASAP! There is no value to me to use Evernote if this functionality doesn't exist. Please fix it!

• Like 3

I echo everyone's sentiments here. This is the only reason why I use evernote. Even though I have a 2in1 laptop with a stylus that can have a much richer experience using other apps, having encrypted text note editing is the only reason I have paid for premium over the last 10 years with Evernote.  10 YEARS!!!

This has been a problem here for months with no reply to your premium users.

I know you probably won't care, but I'm basically waiting 30 more days for you to fix this or I'm canceling and moving all my stuff elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Come on Evernote devs... this is 4th most voted Windows client request. So a lot of people is missing edit option for encrypted text.
It's been 4 months since this request topic was opened here.

On 9/21/2020 at 6:59 PM, Molly_S said:

Hey all,  

This is the anticipated behavior for now, but our engineering team is working towards implementing a more seamless experience for editing encryption blocks. 

Any news or timeline for implementation?

On 11/28/2020 at 3:22 PM, GT-CANADA said:

I echo everyone's sentiments here. This is the only reason why I use evernote. Even though I have a 2in1 laptop with a stylus that can have a much richer experience using other apps, having encrypted text note editing is the only reason I have paid for premium over the last 10 years with Evernote.  10 YEARS!!!

This has been a problem here for months with no reply to your premium users.

I know you probably won't care, but I'm basically waiting 30 more days for you to fix this or I'm canceling and moving all my stuff elsewhere. 

It's now Dec 18th. I expected at least a response from the evernote team...  Does anyone know how to escalate?

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

@ozboy I empathise with the frustration with the need to decrypt, edit then encrypt in the new version of Evernote.

However, the question about searching inside encrypted notes is odd.  I've never been able to search inside the encrypted parts of notes in the legacy version of EN on Windows - perhaps that was a Mac thing where @AdrianBain was posting.

This is, for sure, a big issue for those who encrypt text in notes as is the long-time problem with encrypting anything other than simple text - try encrypting a block which, for example, includes a bulleted list in any version of EN.

A big mess at this stage so if encryption in place is a key part of your workflow then stick with the legacy version for the time being.

Meanwhile, I'm experimenting with encrypting by other means.

• Evernote Expert
On 1/8/2021 at 5:25 PM, zllllo said:

Is there an official bug # for this issue? Same problem on Macs.

Probably not since it isn't a bug. This is the way it is designed to work. About the only way of adding voice to this is to upvote the thread.  I'm actually finding the workaround I describe above to be a really useful solution.

Thanks. I voiced my discontent with customer service the other day and learned that "At this time, this is by design to prevent users to accidentally deleting the encrypted texts causing for a data loss." Additionally, they stated that they received a lot of reports from users who accidentally deleted their texts. Personally, I've never had this problem, and have been using this native feature for many years in my workflow. To me, this is a bug as it has been a feature that has been around for years, and if I did enough searching and digging into the past, maybe even highlighted in release notes or other documentation before. It's a brilliant feature that was native and convenient. The new design is very clunky at best and vulnerable security-wise at worst (why do I need to decrypt the text permanently, have the decrypted text potentially synchronized, then create a new encrypted block ... or try to beat the race condition by cutting and pasting ... many more steps that are prone to error, when the edit in-place was just seamless, simple and worked). Were users just accidentally placing the cursor behind the encrypted block and backspacing to accidentally delete? And if they did that, did they not learn to distinguish the encrypted block from the regular text? I also learned that their bug database is internal-only, so we have no visibility into their release roadmap or priorities.

I see your workaround @agsteele and may try that out sometime. My own workaround for now is to restore the prior version of EN and keep ignoring all the App Store prompts about updating to the new version of EN (which is an annoyance, but a necessary burden). I use a good handful of Macs and one Windows machine, so for me, it is easier to stick as long as I can to the last version of EN, or I would need to set up the external decryption workaround on all my platforms.

• Evernote Expert
15 hours ago, JohnT_user said:

There is a new capability to "Reveal" (i.e. view), as well as "Decrypt."  However, the desired functionality is to be able to temporarily Unencrypt the note, update the text, then have the entire note re-encrypt.  This is the functionality flow on the Evernote Legacy version, and I suggest should be the goal state for the Evernote 10.x versions.

These are the Windows forums but the issues are broadly the same. The main issue with the encryption stuff is that as soon as you decrypt for the purpose of editing, the unencrypted text is syncronised to cloud.  So your carefully encrypted text is then stored in plain text on the servers.  That isn't an issue for me but it clearly should/could be for others. I suggested a solution further up this thread which is working well for me and may work for Mac users too.

• Like 1

Wow... I uninstalled Evernote version 10 last October primarily because of the inability to edit encrypted notes.🤬 I cannot believe that is issue still exist with the latest version. Who gives a rip about the new "Home" feature if they cannot even get the basics right? VERY DISAPPOINTED. I will be staying with version 6.25

Edited by gonsalvr
Changed the date from November to October
  • Like 1

I have been a premium user for years and this is the first time I've been unsatisfied enough to post an issue.  It is extremely frustrating that I can no longer search and edit encrypted text. I used to use this functionality several times a day. The notes I search and edit with encryption are actually the ones I use most often in Evernote.

I strongly urge Evernote to reinstate this functionality quickly. Not having it is enough to make Evernote much less valuable to me and I have already started looking to switch to a different app. I would really hope it could be resolved within 2-3 months max.

Has this been fixed? Ive been a premium user for years, and am just NOW (March 2021) having this issue for the first time?? Why can I no longer edit encrypted notes without decrypting? This is a legit security issue, and if it will not be fixed I wont be paying for premium much longer. This thread is from September of 2020... is there a fix?

Evernote will see a lot of premium users not renewing, including myself. 

I'm hoping (soon to be former) users of Evernote post what they have found for an alternative app. I have not had time recently to research this. Or, more correctly, the research I have done has not brought me to a good replacement. Yet. 

Over the years I have recommended Evernote to my friends and family. Now I feel I need to apologize to them for my recommendation. 

• Like 2

This was the only reason I selected Evernote over other similar applications. 

Apparently this feature removal was "by design," suggesting it will not be coming back.

I am moving on.

I along started using Evernote (now Premium) so I could encrypt (and edit) notes.  I I can't do that easily, I'll have to begin the task of moving everything over to Word where I can encrypt and edit now.  

Restore this functionality!

Ok, let me see if I understand this...

Users for the most part, including myself, are almost universally disgusted with the inability to edit encrypted text. I just had to change the password on an account and discovered this for the first time. Unbelievable. Equally appalling is the total SILENCE from EN in response to the input here. 

HOWEVER, when I opened the app today EN  gleefully notified me that they have: 

We brought back one of your most requested features! Drag-and-drop a note into Gmail or Outlook to insert a link to that note in an email.

Uh, seriously??? Have you no shame?! Drag & drop into email is one of the most requested features?? Do you even read this support forum??

I'm left to wonder just what the "developers" are thinking. My guess is that they don't actually USE the program as it's inconceivable that if they did, this new "feature" would ever have made it into the program. 

As a paid user I put off upgrading for years with the "if it ain't broke" mentality. My needs are pretty basic, nothing fancy, just store and retrieve notes. Used to use InfoSelect but switched to EN years ago. But in a misguided fit of optimism, I recently fell into the deep, dark upgrade pit of despair and went for it. Should have known better. What's worse, I typically keep old versions but this time had deleted many old updates from my download folder. Earliest version I still have is Evernote_6.5.4.4720. Might try to install that, but at the same time, wary of what kind of new mess that might cause.

Put me down as a former, long time user who is just fed up with this  nonsense and is starting to look at viable alternatives to what used to be a useful program. 

• Like 1

Please fix this.  I'm currently dealing with having to unencrypt my entire note to edit it but I just noticed that once you do unencrypt and then re-encrypt you can see some of what the note was in plain text in the preview section under your note title.  Definitely unacceptable since this was working perfectly before. 

Also a paying customer.  

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I noticed this issue and bought premium (without researching!) simply thinking this was a feature closed off to free users! Now see that is a big issue.....

Honestly if Google Keep add encryption to their feature list I will be off like a shot unless Evernote fixes this soon (and considering how long it has been flagged it surely can't be much longer can it?)

In additon to all of the above, there is a very real risk of encrypting a note with a mis-spelt password. There is no password confirmation and I have managed to unencrypt text, edit it then re-encrypt with the wrong password. Fortunately I had another copy and was able to restore the text. Far better to be able to edit encrypted text on-the fly. This, and the appaling mess that is the android version (duplicating notes, pop-up dialogs for Notebooks and Tabs being populated with duplicated entries, Sharing To Evernote just opening the app and not actually adding the new note, to name but a few, has made it a real chore to use. PLEASE stop randomly adding new "features" and get the core functionality right!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Molly A. said:

Hey all,  

So if a sync occurs during the editing an un-encrypted version could be placed in history?  If that is the case it kind of defeats the purpose of encryption doesn't it?

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
On 10/9/2020 at 3:55 PM, agsteele said:

This is possible... But not so intuitive as previously... You have to decrypt the text, make changes and then re-encrypt.

Yeah I know. I don't like that. I want to have edit option.

At the moment I'm just creating new encrypted text instead of full decrypt and re-encrypt.

I heavily use a feature where I encrypt a section of text and edit it.. did Evernote just NERF (remove) this feature in the new upgrade?

Permanently unencrypting, editing, then reencrypting is not a good workaround as: (1) it's slow, (2) the unencrypted text is then replicated in plain text among the different servers, including (3) the edit history if you're a premium level user (like I am)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chiming in that editing and searching within an encrypted note is also a function I use frequently - almost daily. I was surprised to discover, after years of using this functionality without any problems, that it is no longer available. I have no reason to pay for Premium if I can't use this function. Please provide an update on when this functionality will be restored.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
5 hours ago, Jason234523442 said:

The ability to encrypt text has now been disabled in the new version and in prior versions. I have been going back installing old versions one by one and still no luck. Currently at v 6.25.0.9084

I understand there must be issues, but how much longer should we wait to get this feature back? 

It is still working for me in version 10 and I just checked in 6.25.2 without problem. Except you cannot encrypt a bullet list - but that's never been possible...

If text encryption is a key feature then stay with the legacy version until v10 is more feature-full.

While I have been a longtime Evernote user and occasionally really impressed with new feature, this is a massive step backwards. I cannot begin to express how frustrating all this extra work is and how it make encrypting files undesirable. But then a lot of other people already have. Just adding my voice that this needs to be reversed  or completely reworked. 

I am absolutely stunned by how unprofessional Evernote's management must be, especially considering the company's reach. Ok, we understand the software has a bug ,and that's fine, it happens. But what I really don't get is the fact that it's a known issue and you've been "working on it" since September 4th (date of the OP)! 

How come you are still working on it?? It seems that Evernote is no longer listening to what its users want.

For this and many other reasons, I quit Evernote premium and switched to a different software for my note taking. Truly, it was some of my worst spent money ever...

• Evernote Expert
12 hours ago, 666storyteller said:

It is ridiculous.... why to break something that worked. So irresponsible... I am a premium user and I am extremely upset. Please fix it asap, stop releasing some cosmetic ***** every other week. This is a real issue that blocks your users.

Actually it isn't broken... What has happened is that a poorly communicated rebuild is underway. The new platform is way behind the so-called legacy software but that is still available, works as it always has and should be the default option for anyone with a use-case that requires function such as encryption-in-place.

So the answer to everyone with the problem of encrypting text is to stick with the legacy edition which isn't going away anytime soon.

If you want to try both then download the legacy version and run it alongside. Both versions will co-exist if you wish and have disk space.

I entirely agree that the implementation of encryption in v10.x isn't complete or adequate for purpose so until it is remaining with the legacy version is what is necessary for those who need it to work.

Grab a copy of the legacy version and keep it on your PC for the future. https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in October this was said to be a known bug, however we are now in December and this still hasn't been sorted. Can we have an update to this please as it seems the last few (Me) have now been upgraded and considering i use the majority of Evernote for Encrypted information its a major issue for me as a paying customer. }

If this is not going to be sorted in the next few days then i am going to have no alternative but to move to another provider. 

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that this Evernote is used by most users for the encryption tools and the ease of use of them. You say in the first welcome screen once upgrade has been applied that the new version is less clicks and less key strokes. This whole encryption bit is costing me more clicks even to view the information. its also costing me a huge amount of time un-encrypting and re-encrypting which also has several bugs that destroy the formatting of the text which then makes it hard to read. 

Very poor -- Please give your users an update as to when this is going to be sorted or i fear you are going to lose a huge amount of your paying clients. 

Best Regards 

Andrew Scott 

• Like 2
On 11/14/2020 at 7:50 AM, AdrianBain said:

I have the same issue. Without search and edit ability, EN is useless to me.

I can’t search within encrypted notes without unencrypting, and then encrypting again!?

I can’t edit encrypted notes?

Why has what used to work so simply become so difficulty, unintuitive or impossible?

What is going on!?  This is terrible and stops me operating with EN. 

Also when I access a non-encrypted note, it starts at the bottom, so I have to scroll up to the top, tap edit..and by that time I have forgotten what gem I was going to make a note of.

After over 8 years, is it time to look elsewhere?

• Level 5

There is a misunderstanding about the need to encrypt content.

On the device itself notes are protected by the devices means, like disk drive encryption and access control. Content is encrypted during sync, by SSL/TLS like web site traffic. This happens automatically, for all notes.

On the server it is encrypted and can only be decrypted for access with the correct user data. This is what happens when opening the web browser. The data on the server will as well be accessed by bots, that make it searchable, perform OCR and other jobs. Humans at EN can (up to my knowledge) not access the user information, similar to other cloud services.

In the end it boils down to a question of trust. EN holds the master key to the system encryption, so it is technically able to decrypt the systems encoding.

Encryption of content in notes is an add-on that put another layer of encryption on top of the one already in place. Other than the system encryption here EN does not hold a copy of the keys. The key in this case only the user holds. This means as well that there are no cloud services working for this content, like no search in the encrypted content, no OCR etc. To make it searchable, one can add tags or write keywords into the not encrypted part. Any of these compromise the encryption somewhat, because it contains information about what is in the encrypted section.

On 12/21/2020 at 3:55 PM, agsteele said:
  • Instead of typing the text to be encrypted directly into an Evernote note, instead create a document in your program of choice - for example Notepad.
  • Using AxCrypt encrypt the file created. (With 7zip create a password protected .7z archive).
  • Drag and drop the password protected file into an Evernote note.
  • To access double clip the encrypted document and do the necessary to decrypt and open the document. 
  • Make edits etc and save and close the encrypted archive. This will save back into the Evernote note retaining all the changes and not requiring a re-encrypt process.

This process ensures that the decryption takes place outside Evernote so cannot be synchronised to the servers whilst the editing is underway.

And an additional advantage of your approach is portability outside evernote, a popular topic these days 😉

I use pdf encryption when possible (and 7zip as well). 

When I use EN encryption (sporadically), I disconnect my network before editing/encrypting to prevent premature sync. I hope that my intermediate changes before the encryption are not queued until the network is active again 😕

This makes ever-note useless to me

I need to be able to edit encrypted notes.- will look for alternatives

I don't need to pay for inconvenience and workarounds

Its also annoying that it wont hold may verification for "30 days" despite having a button for such- just annoying

@PinkElephant - I and the many other folks on here, who want to be able to edit encrypted text - without having to first decrypt all of the encrypted text - really don’t cate about your opinion re what is appropriate or inappropriate to encrypt. And we don’t have to explain to you why we want to encrypt something and be able to edit it. All that matters is we bought into Evernote for this functionality and they removed it. EN needs to bring it back or risk losing numerous users. Your opinion on what should/shouldn’t be encrypted is completely irrelevant 

• Level 5*

Never did hear back during the beta as to if the encrypted stuff is visible should a history update occur during the edit (go get a cup of coffee or something).  That would be less than encrypted.

• Level 5

Maybe one of you guys could post a support ticket.

Because it could be that when it is decrypted to be edited, every sync will grab the unencrypted text and move it to the server. EN syncs permanently in the background.

Sure, it would be overwritten when finally re-encrypted, but there would be an open note on the server for the time of the edit. If an indexing runs, maybe even part of it ends up in the metadata, like the search index.

From how these new releases were moved, and leave many questions to be asked, it would not come as a surprise to me, if handling of encrypted stuff was not in the focus.

My confidential stuff is outside of EN, so I have no encrypted notes to follow up on this. And frankly, I have no productive rel.10-client installed, apart from iOS. Otherwise I would ask support myself.

I had to uninstall Evernote for windows because it would not accept my password, This I think happened after the automatic update to Evernote 10.  I tried resetting passwords that only installed a brand new version of Evernote 10 with no notes.  I finally logged in using my Evernote email address( web site ).  I thought success, my old email address and pass word worked.  I had deleted my windows 10 program on my computer so I downloaded a new download from Evernote.  All good I thought, however I cannot edit and change or add to an encrypted note that I have opened with its password.  When I try to type on the not it closes.  I can type on the unencrypted part.  My mobile Evernote version 8 is still working fine.  There is no pencil Icon or the circle with a pencil in it.  HELP

I saw the same thing on all of my Macs (from OS 10.13.6 to 10.15.7). Editing text in the encrypted fields is critical for me since I store lots of important data that way. I reverted back to v7.1.4 for now. Hope they get a fix soon. I also can't edit in the "updated" iOS and web versions. Have to decrypt permanently then edit then re-encrypt... not a useable workflow!

• Like 1

>>This is a known issue we're working to address. I'll provide an update here once I have more information.

Hope you get this resolved soon. Sharing encrypted notes for passwords and stuff among devices is one of my most used features. It is why I pay for Evernote.

Also, in version 10, it takes too many clicks or keystrokes to open encrypted notes or close them again. I rarely want to permanently decrypt notes, so why make me specify that choice every time I want to open an encrypted note? That makes the whole process much too cumbersome. In addition to fixing the bug with editing encrypted notes, make opening and closing them simpler again.

• Like 1

The ability to encrypt text has now been disabled in the new version and in prior versions. I have been going back installing old versions one by one and still no luck. Currently at v 6.25.0.9084

I understand there must be issues, but how much longer should we wait to get this feature back? 

On 11/5/2020 at 10:30 AM, Princeton said:

Personally, I have reverted back to the Legacy version on my Windows machine.. but I also have automatic replication happening to my iOS and MacOS devices.  The legacy version still works (for now), but just to be sure I'm starting to copy the encrypted stuff into a backup Word file and encrypt those.. just in case I can't open/decrypt it in the future and get a "sorry the older version isn't officially supported" type of response.

I am also a PREMIUM member, but not sure for how much longer

How do you revert back to a legacy version?   I need to do this now.   I can't believe they released a new version and removed core functionality.

I am a long time premium user whose ability to edit encrypted text is their primary reason for using Evernote.  The ability to perform this function is essential. Please add it back and provide status updates on your progress.  Thank you. 

What's even worse is that when you encrypt, there is no password verification.

So one typo and all your most valuable data pooooooooof

RIP evernote I'm moving to https://www.notion.so they also auto import notes from Evernote;)

This is very frustrating that EN releases updates that have known issues (ie. encryption that removes formatting, paragraph returns, does not confirm password protection, etc.).  This is not an oversite, this is negligence.  I personally would like to have my annual fees waived or at least prorated until EN repairs what they broke.

I have been attempting to create momentum in our organization to move to EN instead of OneNote, but careless handling of paying user's data does not support this transition.

I too use the encrypted text in my notes and this is one of the main features that I pay premium subscription for.  I have downloaded the legacy app and can edit the notes as before now.  Very disappointing to see how this feature was modified.  It doesn't seem like the repercussions of these changes were thought out very well.  

I will use legacy for now but looking into different software options now.  Wondering how many users they have lost over this.   

5 minutes ago, GT-CANADA said:

It's now Dec 18th. I expected at least a response from the evernote team...  Does anyone know how to escalate?

While I'm here, everyone, have you been experimenting with other note taking apps that have the feature/function of encrypting a note? Let me know what you're trying out and what your successes are.  I'm currently testing click up.

On 9/4/2020 at 8:19 PM, djhendra said:

Hi!

In "regular" Evernote, I can open an encrypted note and view it by entering my chosen password. From that point, I can read AND EDIT anything I like.
In the Beta version, my encrypted notes are NOT editable, I can only read them.

The only way I can find to edit them is to "permanently decrypt" them first. Then I have to re-encrypt them when I've finished. This is NOT helpful!

Not only that, but when I "permanently decrypt" and re-encrypt, much of the formatting is lost, including blank lines and bold text. And it seems lost permanently;  if I try to decrypt, re-format the text and then re-encrypt, the new formatting just disappears again!

So, the issues are:
1) I don't want to have to fully decrypt a note to edit it and then have to remember to re-encrypt it.
2) I need to be able to add (and retain) text formatting to my encrypted notes.

And an even more important side effect is that my sensitive data is immediately synchronized to the servers while editing, before I can encrypt it !  When it is encrypted later on, what happens with the previous unencrypted version, is it still saved in the note history ?  What's the point then of encrypting my data???

I have long been a paying user. I am appalled that I must now de-encrypt my data to edit it, during which time it is openly saved to Evernote servers. I am still more appalled that Evernote has know about this problem for months and offers no solution and no further reassurance that a solution is on the way. If Evernote does not fix this soon, I will drop the service. This is nothing less than an inexcusable betrayal of the privacy we paid for when we signed on to a service that offered encryption.

Hello,

Windows 10 Version 1909 (18363.1198)

Evernote V. 10.5.7 build 2171 public

I have a note that I place encrypted information into.

I noticed today that I am unable to edit the contents of the encrypted note.

I tried setting it all to un-encrypted & then re-encrypted it again & I am still unable to edit the encrypted text.

I used to be able to do this before an update.

Also, when it encrypts the note, it's taking out my blank lines

eg:

line1

line2

line3

====

line1

line2

line3

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

• Like 2

Yet another reason not to renew my premium subscription.

Not only did a useful feature disappear, it's not likely to be fixed... but by all means keep adding useless bells an whistles. 

I have the same problem. I have other older interfaces (v. 6.25) which work best. I tried to decrypt and modifying the encrypted text to have the format that I wanted and now it has completely disappeared.

IMPORTANT: Don't modify the text until they have corrected the bug.

I don't think anyone from Evernote has seen this to get a bug report going?  This was the only place I could find to post something like this.  =(

Please let me know if there is some other way that I should be reporting this.

• Level 5

The process is that a Premium user places a support ticket, and it is answered on a 1:1 basis. No one but EN knows how many identical tickets are placed.

There is no overview outside of the organisation which issues they know, on which they are working with what priority, and when a fix on something will be available. The last releases were pretty good on fixing issues, but in the release notes some were not even mentioned as fixed. I just tested some things I had claimed on EN iOS 10.3 and found more fixes than announced.

• Evernote Expert
12 hours ago, zllllo said:

I see your workaround @agsteele and may try that out sometime.

You're welcome.  I'm hoping that it deals with multiple issues - many of which existed in the legacy version.  Lot's of folk who were anxious to keep some data more secure didn't rate the encryption in v6.25 very highly. My proof of concept allows all the encryption/decryption to take place off-line plus it allows the editing in place that v10 has lost.  Of course, a fully worked out process baked into the EN v10 client would be better.  But for those who wish to use v10 and avoid the issues that have been identified I hope what I've tested will be a good second best.  Actually I'm quite enamoured with it and may well continue into the future - but then I would say that wouldn't I 😇

• Like 2