[Feature Release in Version 10.14] Restore Quick Switcher (CMD+ J)

MrIllustrator

Idea

77 replies to this idea

This really needs to be prioritized. I have seen so many other little features added into the new version that are unimportant ahead of this. This is central to so many workflows for people. If this is in the Coming Soon area, I expect it in the next release. If this is 4 months out, please take it off the Coming Soon and stop teasing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Hi All,

This feature has ben added in our most recent release, Version 10.14.

Learn more about Version 10.14 here:

You can learn more about the quick switcher here:

If you have a new/different request, please start a new thread.

This is specifically mentioned as "Coming Soon" in the release notes:

Coming Soon:

- Sign in with Apple

- Edit creation date of notes in note info

- Search and switch to a different note using a keyboard shortcut (Mac - CMD+J, Windows - Ctrl+Q)

• Like 5

CMD+J is vital to my workflow.

I'm not what I would call a power-user but I have paid the full subscription for 10 years + and I'm finding this new version and the threat to take away the old version very hard to deal with, simply because I've relied on Evernote for so many years and now I feel let down I'm very sorry to say. I, like many many other users have put in as many hours on this program as any developer, I've saved the last 10 years of my life in here so that's why I'm passionate about this fab program. It's the not knowing that's a big part of this. They must know themselves that what they've released is really an iOS port for the web and not a fully fledged desktop version as the previous one was. I just want them to say, or at least give an indication to their many long term users what they are going to re-instate, if anything. If nothing I don't know how I can live with this new version for very much longer. I don't want to move to something else because I'd grown to love evernote but wow, this is hard for anyone that actually uses the program seriously. I have downgraded to 7.14 on my main computer but have kept the (beta:) on another computer and check it each day to see if anything has been fixed, it's on 10.0.10 at the moment and nothing, nothing I want has been re-instated, Keyboard commands are vital to a serious workflow for instance, other user interface problems abound but just please give me a usable workflow back. 

• Like 3

Coming soon, good news but:

• Quickly search and move to different note using a keyboard shortcut (Mac - CMD+J)

Please remember this isn't a keyboard shortcut if after I type CMD+J  "I have to then take my hand off the keyboard" in order to grab the mouse, move the mouse down and click on the found item, just like I have to now in so much more of the interface in Evernote 10. Keys only please as in Evernote 7.14 and below, I just want to have to hit the return key please.

This keyboard shortcut will be utterly pointless if I have to then use the mouse. 

• Like 4

My fears are coming to reality. As a long time Evernote user, one thing they have NEVER done well is new version releases. The mind boggles as why they never learn that users don't like surprises like age old shortcuts not working. CMD J, along with all the existing keyboard shortcuts is vital for power users and anyone productivity focussed, which is what Evernote is meant to be about. Once again it appears that the people leading product development at Evernote are not really productivity power users as they should be, otherwise they would not have released this new version without this feature parity.

I will be holding off leaping into the dark waters of Evernote for Mac v10 for as long as possible, or at least until I can clearly see the bottom. Such a pity that Evernote still can't do a smooth release after all these years.

• Like 1

Long post incoming.

Why is this regression so bad?

I have been a dedicated Evernote user for over 10 years, and paying for the last ~5. Command + J is the primary way I navigate my thousands of notes, and dozens of notebooks and tags. Being able to instantly jump to a note, notebook, or tag as quickly as possible is one of the most important features in a note-taking app to me. I use it dozens-hundreds of times per day.

Why is this so important? A note-taking app's core purpose is to allow me to record whatever is in my brain as quickly as possible. Therefore, I need to be able to quickly navigate to the correct note/notebook (Cmd + J), and begin writing them down (quick editor w/ good shortcuts).

This is an absolutely critical regression -- for me, for others (based on the other responses in this forum), and for the core functionality of Evernote (taking notes seamlessly!) I am currently running the legacy version, which is mostly fine, although there is some sluggishness and display issues. Running the legacy app is not a viable long-term solution, and it is concerning this has not been addressed in 6 months.

Are there alternatives?

My Evernote subscription is up in July, and this has pushed me to start considering other note-taking apps. I spent quite a few hours researching/testing other apps, and there are a lot. Sharing this summary in case it is useful to the devs, or to other frustrated users.

As far as I can tell, Evernote is basically still the best at its core competency -- quickly taking notes, across platforms, including images and attached files. The new version is significantly worse with the loss of Cmd + J, but I was not able to find an alternative that was clearly better (at least not yet...)

Some competitors (Bear) also lack a quick-switcher, or have a sub-par one (Notable). Some lack full support on mobile (Notable, Quiver, Trillium). Some are just not as efficient at reading/writing notes (Joplin, Inkdrop, Bear). Some are too disorganized (Notion). Some handle images/attachments poorly (Ulysses, Inkdrop). Many are inferior in subtler ways as well (offline support, backed by a strong team, less flexible, etc.)

So, Evernote is still the best imo. But not by much... Bear has a new editor coming out soon that is fantastic, and if they were to add a quick-switcher, that would likely do it for me. Notion has a great editor and quick-switcher too, and just needs a bit of organizational refinement to surpass Evernote.

To the Evernote devs

Please, please, please bring this back. Evernote is a great product, built by a great team. (I appreciate it even more now, having done some research and testing with competitors.) Keep it that way. Prioritize the core stuff -- recording notes efficiently. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's back and it's working as I wanted it to. - "Command J"

Just seen they have announced "Command J" is back though it was already in the previous version 10.13.4, just not working correctly.

The update to 10.16.6 fixes what I didn't like where it didn't show tags, it appears to be working more quickly, prioritises Notebooks, then Tags then everything else which is what I'd complained it didn't do when I first found it in the previous version 10.13.4

So I'm very happy now, thank you for bringing it back and getting it working again.

• Like 2

hi all, I usually used "⌘ J" to quickly search&jump to a notebook. Since this shortcut has been not offered anymore, which is a shortcut combination to get the same result?

"Search Notes" (⌥ ⌘ F) is not an option if your notebook's name is not unique.

Thx for any suggestion.

This is a travesty.

Looks like a lot of folks are complaining about this and getting their individual posts merged into this master thread.

I used the Submit Feedback option from the Help dropdown to complain about this.

There is even a specific feedback area with something like  "what do you think about search?"

I suggest everyone submit feedback via this mechanism to the Evernote team.

On 10/11/2020 at 6:10 PM, 0m34 said:

hi all, I usually used "⌘ J" to quickly search&jump to a notebook. Since this shortcut has been not offered anymore, which is a shortcut combination to get the same result?

"Search Notes" (⌥ ⌘ F) is not an option if your notebook's name is not unique.

Thx for any suggestion.

Hi, I tried using (⌥ ⌘ F) instead of CMD-J as suggested, just in case it worked and it not only doesn't it work, I get this choice in return (See Screenshot Below) ??? You couldn't make this stuff up!

Apparently Evernote (latest Mac version 10.1.4) thinks I have multiple Inboxes with different numbers of messages in them. What the?

Sorry but when you've put your life into a program for the last 10 years, all my most important files, pictures, documents and the people that own it suddenly do this, it's too frustrating for words, it's shocking. Nothing of consequence works. It's utterly broken and unusable, why can't they see this, don't they use it themselves? Maybe we should ask them what they use to organise and store their most cherished memories and swap over to that, because it can't be Evernote 10, how on earth was this released.

I'm seeing bug on bug on bug, Today when I upgraded to the latest iOS version is the first day I've seen duplicated notes as reported by so many other people in the forums, I didn't have that in the earlier upgrade, no, now it's an added feature.

Honestly have any of you ever seen anything like this before with any other software, I haven't.

If I wrote down all the bugs I'm experiencing it would be a full time job.

Crazy user interface choices, 30+ missing (essential) keyboard shortcuts, perfectly good .pdf file corrupted by evenote, just because I tried to annotate it. (Staff reached out to me to sort that one out and then disappeared) probably under an avalanche of other problems.

For me though the vast majority have been with the Mac OS desktop version, I see the same problems in the windows desktop forums as well though.

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 22.59.40.png

• Like 1

Firstly - I think the new search capability is better than the old. In particular, the ease of searching by tags! 

I have seen in your release notes that cmd+j will eventually return, but I just want to highlight that this is a feature I really miss and so the sooner it can be reintroduced the better. 

The best thing about cmd+j was the fact that the search results box was prepopulated with the last_accessed notes, making it very quick and easy for me to jump around between 5 or 6 different notes. This is important when creating a number of smaller notes that are all linked in a larger note. It's also important because I preferred to minimise the the main application, and work solely in notes. Here's a high-level journey

1. Start on the "main note" and create a new note with cmd+n
  2. Fill out some information and create tags for the new note 
  3. Use ctrl+option+cmd+c to copy the note link 
  4. cmd+j select the main note which was always top of my list

In the new app, i'm trying the same thing but the experience isn't as smooth: 

1. Start on the "main note" (see image 1 below)
  2. Press cmd+n for a new note, fill out information and tags (see image 2 below)
  3. Use ctrl+option+cmd+c to copy the note link 
  4. option+cmd+f to bring up new search (i'm hoping for the main note)
  5. the new search doesn't display the recently accessed "main note" and also, i'm directed to a new note (see image 3 below) 

image 1

image.png.27c1977814c912457c3c47a8616dfb9f.png

Image 2

image.png.007e549795dd276c92521e04388a17bb.png

Image 3

image.thumb.png.e0e3f6b296f9b5d96ba776e64c3184f0.png

I am what I would call a POWER USER with over 30K notes and am constantly jumping to different notebooks all day long, so Command+J is a super important feature to me. I don't even think I can use evernote without it. 

I also don't think I can train my hands and brain to use another keystroke for this task - it's such a habit - I can't switch to 10 until this feature is back working how it does in the Legacy version! 

Please please add back this shortcut - it is imperative to my work flow! (as is command+M)

THANK YOU!!! 

[Member of Stacey Harmon's EverDone community]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If I had known Command-J (the ability to select and change to a notebook with the keyboard) was going to go away I would have NEVER updated. 

Is there a way to go back to the previous version until that is added? 

Evernote is far less workable for me without it. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, daden2 said:

Is there a way to go back to the previous version until that is added? 

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion
For installing the Legacy product, see https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314?fbclid=IwAR2TNqp-eGRH3Ds8Vfu-CiKPjYolJzZ_keR9eWQaDahJ2GN-7hwn595zI8w&__s=bsetfdgzirbvqtopurph

3 hours ago, Josette Lépine said:

I am hopefull they will bring the cmd J back. With the cmd alt F, you have to erase tour last search all the time, it's harder to see, and cannot differentiate the notes with the same name but from different books. PLEAAASE.

According to the release notes it is "coming soon." It's been listed like that for perhaps a couple of weeks, so we might see Cmd-J return very soon...

I mean this feature (quote from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015781127-Evernote-for-Finding-Things-Faster )

• Use Cmd + J (Mac) or Ctrl + Q (Windows) to ‘jump’ to a specific note, notebook, or tag.

After the app udpated itself, it broke for me. This is such an elementary part of my workflow, that I decided to ask instead of going on with my day. In addition to that, cmd+shift+? (search menu options) is also broken/unavailable, which I discovered trying to investigate the first issue. 

This makes the app unusable for me in the short term. I wanted to switch anyway, but it doesn't feel good to lose control over when I can do that.

I hope I'm just missing something or misunderstanding, for now I'll switch to the legacy version.

• Like 2

While I generally love the v10 update, one of the items I continue to struggle with is switching between notebooks. I really miss the drop down selector at the top of the note list, and raised this as an issue in the Beta program.

At least initially, Evernote staff has suggested that using the search feature was supposed to replace this quick method of switching notebooks. However, that doesn’t work at all when you have a lot of notebooks with keywords also found in the titles of a lot of notes. At best the quick search preview only shows two or three notebooks at the bottom, and often it doesn’t show any. As a result, to switch notebooks, I generally find myself searching for a note I know is in that notebook, then clicking the notebook name after it loads. 

I never really used the cmd+J feature of the legacy app, but have been assuming that bringing that back was the proposed solution to switching notebooks. However, reviewing the release notes for 10.4 closer, it says: “Quickly search and move to different note using a keyboard shortcut (Mac - CMD+J, Windows - Ctrl+Q)”

I guess we will see what it does when released, but that seems like it is going to return the same quick results as the search box in the sidebar, which is not what I want. 

If Evernote won’t bring back the drop down  notebook selector at the top of the notes list, hopefully they will assign a keyboard shortcut that jumps to the Notebooks tab and starts the cursor in the search box. 

I am surprised there haven’t been more complaints in the forum about switching between notebooks. 

• Like 4

Same here! Cmd+J is essential. I'm back to the legacy version too.

Cmd+J for "Jump to Note" was the quickest way to get around, like Evernote's internal Spotlight for navigating. It was incredibly powerful, showing up right in the middle of the screen and letting us jump between notes at the speed of thought.

764804119_ScreenShot2020-11-27at3_03_12PM.png.51e4b238156cb9412d274ff8f0bd4507.png

Now it seems to have disappeared. The Cmd+Opt+F shortcut exists, but it's less useful. It's way over on the left, and shows too many results in too many categories.

1861773920_ScreenShot2020-11-27at3_05_48PM.thumb.png.3910a888fc2331e99b8ad6d74bf1162b.png

Does anyone know if they destroyed the Cmd+J function?

I also don't understand why they did away with this feature.  I agree the search feature is definitely not the best way to switch notebooks -- I find that sometimes I have to type the entire name of the notebook before it appears and notebooks are always at the bottom of the list.  I also have a lot of notebooks making using the notebook browser inefficient.  The dropdown of the notebook was great and greatly missed.  Very sad about this.

I renamed Evernote to Evernote_OLD before installing this new version. The second Cmd + J failed, I found this page.

Stopped using the new version. Going back to the old version.

Seriously. WTF EVERNOTE?

And, when can we get keyboard shortcuts to move list/bullet items up/down a list? What K/B power user DRAGS AND DROPS?

• Like 1

this is crazy

I really can't understand WHY they removed such a useful shortcut

Also, WHY on earth would you remove the option for disabling auto-formatting?

I just can't understand

Seriously considering to cancel my subscription

this is absolutely shameful - I just can't understand why one would want to remove features with an update

Also, WHY did they remove the option for disabling auto-formatting? WHY ?

Seriously considering to cancel my subscription

• Like 1

Signed up just to reply to this. I've been using the old version as this is one of the most important shortcuts to me. I've been eagerly watching the release notes to upgrade but after months there is still nothing. How is this ignored and overlooked? 

• Like 1

Hello,

The speed of switching between notebooks or notes that CMD-J allows when using Evernote is great, without it I must the mouse to find the correct notebook. This drains time and brain.

I'm not upgrading from series 7 until CMD-J is brought back into the new version.

Thanks,

Raul

I updated the subject of my original post, as I think the new keyboard shortcuts in v10.5 may fix (or provide a workaround) for my frustration with switching Notebooks.

I am not certain whether this keyboard shortcut existed before, but the keyboard shortcut list shows: Cmd+Option+4 switches to the notebook tab... and starts with focus in the search box!!  Therefore, to switch notebooks hit Cmd+Option+4 and type the notebook you want and the list below filters.

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out an easy way to switch focus to the nookbook list (cmd+| does not work like it does in the note list).  However, you can either it tab a bunch of times, or just use the cursor.  This could be a fix for my workflow.... even if it is not perfect.

• Like 2
On 12/21/2020 at 4:40 PM, brian_t_grant said:

If you're heavily dependent on those features, then you'd probably be better served with downloading the Legacy client and using it for now.

Hello Brian,

That is what I am doing for now, keeping on using version 7.14 until the new client gets the CMD-J functionality.

Hope it will the soon!

Thanks,

Raul

• Like 2

Seriously it's been more than 3 months since the release of the current version and still no update. Evernote is just useless for me without this shortcut. I have around 12k notes with 234 notebooks. I'm always jumping from one note to another. This shortcut is a non negotiable requirment.

• Thanks 1

It looks like some form of the Command+J feature has been implemented in the latest release notes as CTRL+CMD+V. Can anyone confirm if this is similar to the old version's Command+J? Would love to know before updating. 

19 hours ago, 3raxton said:

It looks like some form of the Command+J feature has been implemented in the latest release notes as CTRL+CMD+V. Can anyone confirm if this is similar to the old version's Command+J? Would love to know before updating. 

I don't see CTRL-CMD-V as a new command on 10.8, could you confirm? There is a new shortcut Shift-CMD-J which opens up a window to allow quick filtering of tags (and other options). Not the same as CMD-J for me, but it might serve as a substitute for some use cases.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:31 PM, Paul A. said:

I don't see CTRL-CMD-V as a new command on 10.8, could you confirm? There is a new shortcut Shift-CMD-J which opens up a window to allow quick filtering of tags (and other options). Not the same as CMD-J for me, but it might serve as a substitute for some use cases.

Here it is listed in the release notes. Hopefully that helps! Have you given Shift+Command+J a shot? If so, how does it work for you? image.thumb.png.c6799e63173ed19288684164563ac699.png

1 hour ago, 3raxton said:

Here it is listed in the release notes. Hopefully that helps! Have you given Shift+Command+J a shot? If so, how does it work for you? image.thumb.png.c6799e63173ed19288684164563ac699.png

That is so interesting. For me, the global search command uses the letter "E" instead of "V". I wonder if this is a regional difference? I'm in North America with a U.S. keyboard layout. Here's the keyboard shortcut reference in my Evernote:

image.png.b6fc3b49e1d2ad627e68d679a55df4d9.png

Nope. Still not there. Even with Ctrl-Cmd-E or Opt-Cmd-F (both work on Mac), navigating in Evernote 10 is much more tedious and inconvenient than the elegance of Cmd-J in Evernote Legacy. Seems like such a step backwards.

Not only that but it seems based on my testing that tag-based searches yield inconsistent results. Notes that I know have a tag do not show up in search but show up via navigation via mouse / sidebar. 

Please fix this. I've been using Evernote for 10 years and annoyed that I'm paying for a worse product and that I still have to use the legacy version to remain productive. 

• Like 1

The absence of the cmd + j shortcut has been responsible for so much swearing here. The current alternatives for switching between notebooks and tags are so tedious and slow by comparison.

Bring back cmd+ j... please

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Private Label Products said:

FYI - This shows I'm a "BASIC" user because I'm on my other account. I'm a Premium subscriber.

Thanks for clearing that up.  According to Evernote's release notes,  this came back in January - 

JANUARY 29, 2021 - VERSION 10.7.6

NEW

• If you think the spellchecker should mind its own business, good news: you can now switch it on or off in the preferences menu.
  • We made some tweaks under the hood so it’s even quicker for you to create notes.
  • We added a new keyboard shortcut! Open your tag filters by pressing Shift-Cmd-J.
  • Stability and performance improvements.

FIXED

• We fixed a few annoying bugs that were holding you back from signing in.
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes.

COMING SOON

• Search and switch to a different note using a keyboard shortcut
  • Create new audio recordings and playback audio files
  • Global keyboard shortcuts
  • Additional export options
  • Import folder
3 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Thanks for clearing that up.  According to Evernote's release notes,  this came back in January - 

JANUARY 29, 2021 - VERSION 10.7.6

NEW

• If you think the spellchecker should mind its own business, good news: you can now switch it on or off in the preferences menu.
  • We made some tweaks under the hood so it’s even quicker for you to create notes.
  • We added a new keyboard shortcut! Open your tag filters by pressing Shift-Cmd-J.
  • Stability and performance improvements.

FIXED

• We fixed a few annoying bugs that were holding you back from signing in.
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes.

COMING SOON

• Search and switch to a different note using a keyboard shortcut
  • Create new audio recordings and playback audio files
  • Global keyboard shortcuts
  • Additional export options
  • Import folder

Hello Gazumped,

That is a different shortcut, it allows to quickly access the filter dialog as far as I understand. It is not the "magical" CMD-J :)

Thanks,

Raul

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Raul Silva said:

Hello Gazumped,

That is a different shortcut, it allows to quickly access the filter dialog as far as I understand. It is not the "magical" CMD-J :)

Thanks,

Raul

My bad - sorry!

Fortunately this is on the “coming soon” list, and the devs have been pretty consistently working through these items... unfortunately, it has been there for about six months, so I worry this may not be that easy if a fix. It would really suck if they implement it just as a replica of the search box.

• Like 2
On 10/8/2020 at 9:37 PM, MrIllustrator said:

What happened to Command J

It's Back !

This is very strange, I check in every version that comes out and it wasn't in 10.13.4 accept that it was in a menu someone pointed out to me thank you, they'd sneaked it back in half heartedly. (But no keyboard shortcut still) 

I looked again today, the same 10.13.4 version and the keyboard shortcut is now next to the menu where it wasn't before? Command J is back.

How very strange indeed that is should appear in the menu later in the same version where it wasn't before.

Anyway I'm glad it's back, it's quite slow though in responce, hopefully this will speed up in time.

Well done for bringing it back, it's at last fixed one of my major gripes with the new version. Keep the good work up.

(UPDATE)... it doesn't work correctly, I just tried to use it and it didn't work logically, for instance I type "Command J" and then type: AppleCare and I have a tag called AppleCare but it's not listed? This works correctly on my other computer that's running Evernote Classic (Before 10) instant and correctly shows up in the list.

It's also quite slow taking about 3 seconds after hitting return to sort out what it wants to show me but missing the Tag from the options when it's either a notebook or a tag you're usually looking for with Command J is not very good at all. Needs fixing again.

From my point of view Command J should prioritise Notebooks and then Tags and then everything else, to actually leave a tag out of the search result is completely wrong.