[Feature Released in Version 10.4] Restore "Top list view"

silvershower

Idea

46 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hi All,

This feature has now been added in our newest update, Version 10.4.

Learn more here:

Once you have updated to to Version 10.4, you can activate Top List View here:

CMX_-_Evernote_and_Evernote_for_Mac_10_4_-_Evernote_for_Mac_Requests__Versions_10_0_and_above__-_Evernote_User_Forum.png

I will now be closing this thread.

If you have questions, or other ideas/feature requests, please start a new thread.

PLEASE make returning the Top List View a priority. For a traveling person (laptop) or anyone without a huge screen, this is a greatly missed feature. I'm pretty sure the developers and the software engineers all use screens bigger than anything I have ever owned.

Testing major releases with hardware the end users actually have was an early lesson my former employer learned when development was brought in-house a few years. It's a easy mistake to make, but it shouldn't happen a second time.

Thank you for the editor improvements. Ditto for the new list management functionality.  Finally!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Umberto said:

I usually display the note list on the top

I merged your post with an existing request for Top List view   
To indicate support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Like 1
On 10/7/2020 at 1:52 PM, Nick L. said:

Top list view not available in this release but is coming back in a future update in the next coming days. Stay tuned! 

Nick,

I have been using evernote for 6 years. This app changed a lot of things for me for the better. I always recommend it to everybody. I am sure you and the staff used a lot of precious time for the upgrade and I believe it was worth it. It makes no sense to me why you deleted top list view from menu since lots of people use it. I have been using it for 6 years and is hard for me to work without it. 

I like most things about the new EN (10.1.7), but my workflow is based on the GTD method, and I miss the ability to sort all notes in a notebook by tags.  The new EN seems not to order the tags in a note alphabetically any more, and it also seems not have the ability to sort notes in a notebook by tags.  Thus, I can no longer sort my todo lists by priority (set using tags).  Please bring in the ability to sort by tags into the new version (or provide comparable alternative), asap.  Until then, I'm having to work with the legacy version (currently too busy to rethink/reorganize my workflow).

In the "older" version there is an entry "Top list view". Actually very useful since it allows seeing and scrolling the selected note content in full width at the bottom

image.thumb.png.1f1568bff93e7d7a21edd36773c21602.png

The "new version" forces me to have the not preview on the right and the content is squeezed unless I am working on a wide screen with evernote maximized

image.thumb.png.2a89db8d1037ad411a331d4c786f62ab.png

On 10/7/2020 at 10:52 AM, Nick L. said:

Top list view not available in this release but is coming back in a future update in the next coming days. Stay tuned! 

Just saw this. Best moments in my life:  1) birth of my kid, 2) hearing Top View is coming back. 

• Like 1

i will believe it when the feature is actually back. someone (or group) inside evernote who i hope no longer works there removed top view years ago only to bring it back when the outcry was so large it could not be ignored. this could be a test to see how many people complain.

1 hour ago, patanne said:

i will believe it when the feature is actually back. someone (or group) inside evernote who i hope no longer works there removed top view years ago only to bring it back when the outcry was so large it could not be ignored. this could be a test to see how many people complain.

I remember that. It was removed - but they heard enough users cite exactly why the feature was useful (e.g. full-width note viewing on small screens) and they brought it back. Props to the Evernote team for listening. This time - they have already said it will be supported but is not yet released. I can use v7 until it is ready. I think that is fair.

Just updated to version 10. Didnt even have time to look at it I lost my favorite way of displaying notes.

I usually display the note list on the top, and te actual note at the bottom. In previos version the was an option in "note list view" to do that. Now it disappeared I can only put the note list on the side and the note display on the other side. Is side to side and not top to bottom like I liked it. Any suggestion on how to solve th issue ?

• Like 1

<I have this issue too>

How do you do this in Evernote v10.x on Mac OS 10.15.x? (How do I move note list above note view?)

image.thumb.png.c0870dac338cc17556de1dd7230894c4.png

Edited by T Kunau
agreeing that I'm not the only person with this issue

Hey! BUMP! Come on, man. Now with this latest update you've removed the top list view. At least with that I could have the useless (to me) preview pane at the bottom, where it didn't take so much space away from the note list. Now I have to have it on the right side, where it takes up way too much real estate. Especially for something I NEVER USE! How many times do we have to ask? GIVE US THE OPTION OF HIDING THE PREVIEW PANE!

Also, why would you remove the top list view? What was the point of putting out a new release that REMOVES FEATURES? Oh, yay. You've added some slick new things I'll never use. BUT YOU TOOK AWAY THINGS I USE ALL THE TIME. 

Can we get some response on this?

• Level 5*

Hi.  A lot of features are temporarily stripped out in the new version. You can get these back by going 'legacy*',  but they're -at least temporarily- unavailable in the new app.  We don't yet know what's coming back,  or in what timescale or order.  Sorry.

*See: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

I too am looking for the top list. I just wasted 30 minutes trying to find it in the new UI. Finally googled it to find out it was removed :( 

I need it as my monitor setup is vertical and there is not enough horizontal space to see the note list AND the note. It simply doesn't work for me.

I will be reverting to the legacy version until this is resolved.

FYI, Evernote makes me more productive. This is one of the few times it has actually done the opposite. But I am still a fan. Glad the top list is coming back.

I am very annoyed after updating.  I have been paid customer from early days but find myself searching for other alternatives this morning purely out of frustration of evernote doing this once again.   Sort of 101 in releasing software that evernote doesn't seem to get -- don't release updates if you have not ensured existing functions work.  And if you are going to deliberately take away a capability, then give the user a warning before they "upgrade" ideally with some alternative.  If it is simply that they had to hold the schedule and adding this back in a later rev, then give us a heads up so we just skip the upgrade and wait for the 'complete' version of the upgrade.

DC

Removing a functionality is never a good idea. Please implement back the Top View. It is crucial to avoid losing real state in your screen and when the last notes are the only ones you want to see. Right now with the multipanel left to right I have to resize back and forth.