App Performance Issues: Slowness/Poor Responsiveness/Lag

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

On 10/27/2020 at 9:26 PM, KnutBH said:

I have now moved over to Notion (and cancelled my reneval which luckily was in November (yearly)) - very fast response with the Web-interface.

But lots of stuff to grasp. First impression is good. I hope EN fix the performance issue so I can evaluate coming back in a while.

Thanks for the ride EN, you have been a good "partner" so I am sorry that "I have to let u go"...The "cliche"  - "It isnt you but me" though I can not say...

Take care and hope you get back to your full strenght!

PS:  - I have been an active subscriber since 2012. Take care!

Unfortunately it might come to this for me.  It's the last thing I want to do but this is simply not usable. 

• Like 1

I'm currently running the latest version (10.2.4 build 1949 public) on Windows 10.  While notes load swiftly in the note frame, whenever I try to open a note in a new window, it takes 4-8 seconds to load that note.  

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Gossamer said:

I'm currently running the latest version (10.2.4 build 1949 public) on Windows 10.  While notes load swiftly in the note frame, whenever I try to open a note in a new window, it takes 4-8 seconds to load that note.  

How much RAM does your machine have?  I've got  a 16gb laptop that is similar to what you're experiencing... but my desktop with 32GB ram runs quick.   I think they (Evernote) has some serious performance issues to iron out in this version - BUT the good news is that it should be possible.  I've compared a few similar apps running the same application framework and they are quick and well tuned.  So it is certainly possible!  I'd roll back to the Legacy version for now but keep an eye on updates for performance improvements.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

How much RAM does your machine have?  I've got  a 16gb laptop that is similar to what you're experiencing... but my desktop with 32GB ram runs quick.   I think they (Evernote) has some serious performance issues to iron out in this version - BUT the good news is that it should be possible.  I've compared a few similar apps running the same application framework and they are quick and well tuned.  So it is certainly possible!  I'd roll back to the Legacy version for now but keep an eye on updates for performance improvements.  

My desktop has 8gb of ram.

But yeah, I have faith that general performance issues will be ironed out.  I noticed a big improvement between the betas and now in that area already.  Thank you for bringing my ram to my attention though, because I hadn't checked that in a long time and may look into upgrading for some other things too.

On 11/3/2020 at 3:22 PM, s2sailor said:

How long has it been since you downloaded it?  It can take sometime to download the new database.  If it has been overnight, then you have a problem.  I would suggest uninstall and then install the latest 10.2 version.

It had been at least a week or two. A couple days ago, before I tried to act on your suggestion, Evernote prompted me to download an updated version. I accepted their suggestion, and lo and behold, the updated version worked right out of the gate. I don't have the exact version number, but it was 10.2.something. Just tried to get the details from Help->About, but alas, this just opens a pop-up that says "About Evernote" at the top and is stark white throughout the rest of its territory. No details whatsoever. And in the process of trying to access that I discovered that the menus no longer have keyboard shortcuts. Alt-H doesn't do a blasted thing. To get to the Help menu with only the keyboard I have to press Alt to move the keyboard focus to the menus themselves, and then the left or right arrow keys to move the focus to the Help menu. Arrgghh. Thought: hmm, maybe keyboard shortcuts are a configurable option in Preferences. Action: Find Preferences in the menus -> Discovery: There's only *1* configurable Preference. Yowzers, this really wasn't ready for prime-time, or even a beta release. I downloaded the install for 6.25 the other day; time to go find it and install it.

• Like 1

Updated EN to 10.3. I opened it, typed a few words in a new note, waited for the editor to display what was typed, drank coffee, returned to 6.25.

oh yes, now you can see how many notes are in the notebooks.

I have a question for the community. On November 17th I need to renew my Premium. What do you think, update or wait until EN is fixed (maybe), and work in another application?

Why isn't there any kind of response from evernote, anywhere?  Or if there has been and I've missed it entirely I apologise in advanced.

Even a simple ""hey, we hear you, we're moving in the right direction, please give us a bit more time to nail a few of these performance issues you've all been hitting up" would be awesome.  

The silence is alarming, the silence is nipping away at my confidence that this is all a thing that can be fixed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, Dan @ WORKetc said:

Why isn't there any kind of response from evernote, anywhere?  Or if there has been and I've missed it entirely I apologise in advanced.

Even a simple ""hey, we hear you, we're moving in the right direction, please give us a bit more time to nail a few of these performance issues you've all been hitting up" would be awesome.  

The silence is alarming, the silence is nipping away at my confidence that this is all a thing that can be fixed.

Do what the rest of us are doing and switch to Nimbus Notes. Lifetime discounted account is available on AppSumo right now.

• Haha 1
On 09.10.2020 at 21:25, PhilRSoT said:

The good news is that the earlier version is still installedon your computer - and it runs perfectly !

Really??? It would be a solution to solve the problems with this ***** 10x version... Where the old version could be located?

On 09.10.2020 at 17:28, Vitaliy Grinchuk said:

The new version sucks.

Evernote began to consume 3-4 times more memory (more than 1 GB with 4 notes open), which is why the application slows down. The old version consumes 200-300 MB for the same number of notes. Even in the worst of times, when everyone called Evernote "the slowed-down elephant," the notebook ran faster.

Side panel! Seriously? I see only a few tags on the 13-inch display instead of 20 in the old version. Do you call this "making a spacious design"? The new panel was not created to work with information.

Colored tags! They made it possible to work very quickly and productively with notes. Where is the color?

Shortcuts! Do you know why they are needed? To always be in front of my eyes and help in my work. Why did you remove them?

Why did you add a link to the source under the title? This is unnecessary visual rubbish. Hide it.

2\10

I am disappointed

Totally agree. The speed of work became 10-times slower and I cannot understand why, what is the cause. 

Now think to find any older version to install instead of the 10x. Or just move out from Evernot (after many years of using it as the Premium user).

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Bryn26 said:

Do what the rest of us are doing and switch to Nimbus Notes. Lifetime discounted account is available on AppSumo right now.

Oh I lept right into Nimbus, paid a year premium in advance (before the appsumo deal) with expectation and excitement that everything would be great.

And it was.  The Nimbus block editor is probably the best I've used anywhere  And the web clipper options are pretty decent too (esp compared to notion)

But as soon as I went past 300 notes (fun weekend that was...not) the syncing between web app, desktop app and iOS kept failing.  And no matter how many full local db deletes/uninstalls/manual removes I did, it just would not sync and instead sit their spinning it's little sync logo for hours and hours until I would have to manually shut it down and try again.

And once you go through a week of that, all trust is shattered in the product.  

Trust in a product is really hard to get back once it is lost.  Even more so a product you have no real history with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
34 minutes ago, Dan @ WORKetc said:

Oh I lept right into Nimbus, paid a year premium in advance (before the appsumo deal) with expectation and excitement that everything would be great.

And it was.  The Nimbus block editor is probably the best I've used anywhere  And the web clipper options are pretty decent too (esp compared to notion)

But as soon as I went past 300 notes (fun weekend that was...not) the syncing between web app, desktop app and iOS kept failing.  And no matter how many full local db deletes/uninstalls/manual removes I did, it just would not sync and instead sit their spinning it's little sync logo for hours and hours until I would have to manually shut it down and try again.

And once you go through a week of that, all trust is shattered in the product.  

Trust in a product is really hard to get back once it is lost.  Even more so a product you have no real history with.

I’m so sorry you had that experience. Sadly, it seems there are Nimbus staff here (they are not subtle either!) selling their product on the frustrations of people here. I wouldn’t trust that company at all on the basis of their poaching of users here. 

• Like 1

My local desktop Evernote V10 seems to be a lot better compared to what it used to. It still is not near the same speed as the V6.25 but at least it is more responsive, I can type and see what I am typing instead of waiting for the words to appears.

I still have an issue with moving a note, and still seeing that note in the notebook I am in for a while before it goes to the next note for me to process in that notebook. 

My issue is the "remote desktop" version. That is what I use for work and it still is not workable. I click on a note, nothing happens for a while, typing is super slow. So that one on the remote desktop is not something I can use. I do, however, wonder why that one is so slow?! I mean we have a lot of other apps on that remote server that I use and they operate normally. It cannot be the internet speed either.

I may try an uninstall and reinstall. 

Has anybody used the new version over a remote desktop connection?

51 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

Is anybody having speed issues from having V6.25 and V10 installed on the same machine and using both?

Primary laptop   i7 8th gen 1.8ghz with 16gb ram - I have Legacy on here as well as v10 (not at the same time though).  Performance is horrid.
I have it also running on a test bench Windows 10 VM and performance there is pretty decent:  AMD 3400g @ 3.7Ghz with 16gb ram.  Not running Legacy.
Surface Pro 4 i7 at 2.2ghz  with 16gb ram is running 'ok', but still slow.  Not running Legacy.

I might have to remove Legacy from my primary laptop and see if things behave differently.   I don't run Legacy and v10 concurrently (generally anyway).  

• Ex Employees

Thank you all for this feedback. We are continuing to work on performance, UI improvements, and additional features in version 10.

Our latest release, version 10.3 has improved performance around loading notes lists, and more are coming soon. For users that find that version 10.3 doesn't meet your needs just yet, you can reinstall the legacy version, 6.25.2. from here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/360052560314

You can reinstall the legacy 6.25.2 version  without removing the new version and keep both installed side-by-side. Just be sure to quit one before using the other.

Thank you all for your patience while we continue to make improvements to the new Evernote version 10. We're committed to keeping the legacy apps available until we're closer to closing the feature gap between them and the new clients. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well they seem to be quite calm about the issue.

I'd love to hear - yes we are noticing crazy slowness and acknowledge it is a bug and are working diligently on it now before we lose our core users (paid core users at that)

• Like 1

Running v 10.3 on Windows and it's still painfully slow.

There's also some random behavior in how my notes are presented. Sometimes as a list, the other time as snippets.  This is happening even though I selected list view in all notebooks.

13 hours ago, Austin G said:

Thank you all for this feedback. We are continuing to work on performance, UI improvements, and additional features in version 10.

Our latest release, version 10.3 has improved performance around loading notes lists, and more are coming soon. For users that find that version 10.3 doesn't meet your needs just yet, you can reinstall the legacy version, 6.25.2. from here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/360052560314

You can reinstall the legacy 6.25.2 version  without removing the new version and keep both installed side-by-side. Just be sure to quit one before using the other.

Thank you all for your patience while we continue to make improvements to the new Evernote version 10. We're committed to keeping the legacy apps available until we're closer to closing the feature gap between them and the new clients. 

You should have done your work during the beta phase. I'm not paying for annual subscription just so I can be frustrated every day for not being able to do my work. 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Austin G said:

Make Evernote Fast Again! 🙂

Thank you for contributing to the forum and it is always good to hear from staff directly for sure, at least for me.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, this is another example of "New Coke is better than Old Coke!" Oh, wait... Everybody loves the old version...? How were we to know......?

Shooting yourself in the foot is one thing. Shooting all your customers in their feet is another. I'm sticking with the Legacy version for now. My subscription runs out in June of next year. My intention is to allow Evernote to try to bring the functionality and usability of 10.x to somewhere close to the Legacy version. I will also be comparing alternatives between now and then. I WILL NOT pay for this kind of product beyond that point.

What hasn't been discussed is that Evernote's focus has shifted from giving us an productivity/creation application to giving us an application for consuming content. I want to see as much info as possible on the screen. Whitespace is waste. I want as much speed as possible. For web developers, even millisecond delays are sometimes too much. Evernote seems OK with seconds. Lots of seconds...

I've fought this kind of battles with several software providers over the years. I'm afraid that Evernote has moved in another direction, away from me. It's like they want to become exactly the opposite of what I need.

Sadly yours,

Jeff.

• Like 3
On 10/9/2020 at 7:12 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I'm using this thread to centralize posts regarding app performance issues.

This will help me better track your issues. I'll be looking to merge threads that fit the description into this one.

I updated to the latest version (v 10.3.7 build 2018 public, Editor: v111.0.14414, Service: v1.22.6) on my win10 (version 20H2) laptop and after trying to try it out I have to report that it fails on the most fundamental level: performance is abysmal. It is simply not acceptable that I have to wait 10-30 seconds for the most basic tasks. Luckily I found a way to revert back to the earlier version here on the forum, but this is of great concern to me, as I can not responsibly rely on an old potentially unsupported version for maintaining my (by now) extensive personal knowledge library in Evernote.

It is also of concern since  I see a lot of others having the same problem,  something that surely would have been revealed  in testing unless test have been done on testing DBs without semblance to the production DB. Regardless of which, both scenarios raise serious alarm bells. I would be calmed if there was some response here from the engineers acknowledging the problem some indication of what you are doing to remedy the situation, and in what timeframe.

Hope this is not too much to ask.

• Like 3

Same here. Really frustratingly slow since I upgraded to the latest version of the app on Windows. 

Sure the old version was looking a little dated but there was zero lag when typing. The lag on the latest version is such that I want to type in something else first then paste to Evernote. Could it be saving too frequently?

If anything, it'd be great to have the option to downgrade while these issues get sorted.

To be fair the web version doesn't have any lag, so I'll use that in the interim, but the app is preferable because then I can have multiple notes open. 

Love Evernote and used it for what must be a decade. But sort out the basics, please.

v 10.3.7 build 0 public
Editor: v111.0.14414
Service: v1.22.6

Really disappointing update with the new Windows version.  I'm on a Surface Pro 6 (8gb ram).  

New app is slow to load, and will often just grey out and hang with the spinning loading icon for no apparent reason.  Dark mode is well overdue and some of the design elements are nice, but there seem to be fundamental performance issues - 

- slow loading

- lagging typing or spinning at random

Evernote is my 'go to paperless solution' so I'll use it for notes in client calls.  For the last few calls, it's been so slow that I've had to resort to paper, which is quite a let down.  Equally removing common keyboard shortcuts is not helpful (e.g. emailing a note to myself).

Will switch back to the old version for now... very disappointing... 

I have never complained about an upgrade in my life.

I run a company, and probably have told everyone I know how great Evernote is.

Today is the first day I'm considering leaving and going somewhere else.  The current version of Evernote is nearly unusable.  I can't right click.  I can't access shortcuts, I can't even rename a notebook.

Does anyone know how to install the old version of Evernote?  Do they still offer it for download?

Given how much of a fiasco this new one is, I imagine they have to allow us to at least have the option not to upgrade?

• Like 1
On 11/17/2020 at 3:31 PM, Christopher Mitchell said:

I have never complained about an upgrade in my life.

I run a company, and probably have told everyone I know how great Evernote is.

Today is the first day I'm considering leaving and going somewhere else.  The current version of Evernote is nearly unusable.  I can't right click.  I can't access shortcuts, I can't even rename a notebook.

Does anyone know how to install the old version of Evernote?  Do they still offer it for download?

Given how much of a fiasco this new one is, I imagine they have to allow us to at least have the option not to upgrade?

Per some previous msgs, it's here https://filehippo.com/download_evernote/6.25.1.9091/

Many have gone back to it including myself, and most share the same sentiment.

Windows  user here. I'm about to cancel my sub.

This new version is running at a snail's pace. I can't do anything. It takes ages to load heavy notes, copy/paste is absurdly slow.

Evernote has never been stable, has never been fast. I was hopping that this new version would solve all the technical issues Evernote has always had and I wonder why this new version has gotten even worse.

• Like 1

Just my 5cents,

I've been an Evernote user since ever and  always disliked one note because it was resource intensive and the search was poor.

The new version of evernote for windows is exactly is an immense downgrade. Search is slow and not user friendly (the most important feature), opening, editing, working in general is now a horrible experience.  Going back to version 6.

Please fix it soon or I'll have to search for a new alternative.

1 minute ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Has there been any improvement to the sluggishness & resource consumption issues?

I am still hesitant to try V10 until someone gives me a strong "YES".

10.4.3 is very hit & miss for me - on a windows machine i7 8th gen, with 16gb ram. 

Some days it's very much usable, other times I have to avoid it and use the Legacy version.

22 hours ago, ej8899 said:

10.4.3 is very hit & miss for me - on a windows machine i7 8th gen, with 16gb ram. 

Some days it's very much usable, other times I have to avoid it and use the Legacy version.

Good to know. Sounds like I'll have to wait a while longer before trying it.

Is the current version any better than the the version from a month ago?

• Level 5

Whoever knows what „good enough“ is for you ? With each new release there are improvements.

My strategy is to stay „legacy“ with my main account. I have another Basic created to test the v10-Waters from time to time. Then I can decide if better is good enough.

14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Whoever knows what „good enough“ is for you ? With each new release there are improvements.

My strategy is to stay „legacy“ with my main account. I have another Basic created to test the v10-Waters from time to time. Then I can decide if better is good enough.

I may not be able to EXACTLY quantify "good enough" but I perceive my bar as extremely low; low enough that nearly all software from 1997 would suffice... yet, AFAIK, too high for V10.

Evernote should:

1. Show a letter on the screen immediately after it is typed on the keyboard. It should not fall significantly behind normal rates of keystrokes.
  2. Respond to mice in fast and obvious ways, such as enabling the selection of more than one item, not lagging way behind the movement of the mouse, click and drag, etc.
  3. NOT have, say, an 8 second lag when I open a note that consists only of a tiny amount of text.
  4. NOT take lots of clicks and swipes over a 20+ second span to open the program and begin jotting down a thought.
  5. NOT use tremendous amounts of resources, because it's a note editor, not a video editor.
  6. Fix bugs from ~2011 and earlier to ultra basic features, like securing data, scrolling, or responding to the backspace key.

It sounds like Evernote is doing OK on #6 and very much failing on 1 - 5.

Is that right or wrong?

Edited by WeCanLearnAnything
  • Like 2

I got blue pop-up in Evernote advising me to update, so I did thinking, why not haven't updated in a while. 

It brought me to a whole new evernote, it was so slow, some notes took 5 seconds to appear and some failed to load at all.

I do like the Dark Mode, but I am NOT trading it for performance, I have a very fast modern machine and this was embarrassing experience. 

It's mystifying that the company doesn't step in at this point and start explaining what's going on.  Most of us are perfectly capable of waiting for a few months for this version to improve and we can forgive some early stumbles; but the radio silence from Evernote is bizarre.  I have been with Evernote since their very first day and am as a big a fan boy as they come.  I am not a techie but I consider myself a power user when it comes to Evernote.  However, when I saw the new version I thought that I must have made a mistake and downloaded something else.  I spend over a half hour looking for the "Preferences" tab and never found it.  Also, I thought that there must be a sync button somewhere but perhaps I wasn't' seeing it....nope!  I noticed that my pdfs were loading in full page mode and spent another half hour trying to figure out how change this to pdf icons instead but never figured it out (if anyone knows how to do this I would be extremely grateful).  I still don't completely understand the nature of the searches with the magnifying glass and the "Go To" and why it presents certain things and not other things.  I"m also not sure why after you create a new note you have to designate the target notebook at the top of the note, but the tags are on the bottom of the note.  Also, why would I want to use any of these dopey templates that appear on the drop down of New Note?  I'm sure that space could have been used for something more valuable than "Meal Planner" or "Reflections".  I really never got this template stuff to begin with but perhaps that's just me.  Also, a bit stunned that the color coding of the notebooks is gone.  I used to use the colors constantly to jump between the notebooks.  I usually reccomend EN to all my friends and colleagues but right now I'm just stunned.  If Apple or Microsoft stumbled this badly on a new product their stock would plummet by 10% overnight. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, idoc said:

I noticed that my pdfs were loading in full page mode and spent another half hour trying to figure out how change this to pdf icons instead but never figured it out (if anyone knows how to do this I would be extremely grateful).

Clck the grey header to the pdf and then the three dots menu. Then you have the options shown in the screenshot

image.thumb.png.ef5b9e1d9832e742e28d0bf141b64006.png

19 minutes ago, idoc said:

Also, a bit stunned that the color coding of the notebooks is gone.  I used to use the colors constantly to jump between the notebooks.

Probably a poor alternative but you can add coloured icons to notebooks, note titles and tags. On windows you can access the emoji keyboard through <win key> ;

image.png.ba997a280bc6857b58e769c4db72f244.png

Thanks for the input Mike; however, this only works for one pdf at a time.  In the previous version there was a preference setting by which all of the pdfs in all of the notebooks were able to be viewed as "attachment" .   Since this new version has no preferences I don't see how to do this  for the thousands of pdfs that I have.  I assume that that functionality will come otherwise it will be extremely cumbersome.

15 minutes ago, idoc said:

Thanks for the input Mike; however, this only works for one pdf at a time.  In the previous version there was a preference setting by which all of the pdfs in all of the notebooks were able to be viewed as "attachment" .   Since this new version has no preferences I don't see how to do this  for the thousands of pdfs that I have.  I assume that that functionality will come otherwise it will be extremely cumbersome.

You are right. It was a preference and there are no preferences at the moment. 

I fully expect some preferences to follow (hard to see how they wouldn't have any), but I am still stunned that they would put out this new version with no preferences!!  Anytime I upgrade any program or app that I use, I rush right to the preferences to fine-tune my personal experience.  This would be for windows, android, ipad etc.  Is there anyone in the world who doesn't do that?  On the previous version you could set preferences for sync, navigation, notes, search, shortcut keys, reminders, clipping and printing.  It's the first place I go to whenever I set up Evernote on a new device.

• Like 2

This is the worst application upgrade in a very long time.

useful features are lost! No manual sync button and outlook clipper is gone!

Version 10 is so slow to start - hogging CPU and memory resources.

i have gone back to v6.25

As many of you stated, the latest update of Evernote is extremely slow for me too.
I am quite a loyal premium user, but even I started thinking about what the alternatives are.

Is it actually possible to somehow downgrade to the earlier version? (I am using a MacBook Pro)

Using 10.4.4. The worst part is that this new Evernote is so laggy that it cannot even keep up with note typing, and freezes from time to time. The freeze is long enough that I lose the chance to make the note since the moment in the meeting I'm notetaking has passed. I've been a Premium user since 2011 and this is the worst it's ever been.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 12/14/2020 at 6:13 PM, bayimc said:

As many of you stated, the latest update of Evernote is extremely slow for me too.
I am quite a loyal premium user, but even I started thinking about what the alternatives are.

Is it actually possible to somehow downgrade to the earlier version? (I am using a MacBook Pro)

Get legacy:

• Level 5

You are stating it is slow, lagging, whatsoever, without details.

OK, so I go ahead: Win10, i7, build 2012 (yes, 8 years), 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD. Just a good, solid office PC. EN is running fine, no real issues.

Possible improvements from my experience:

• Run from an SSD
  • Enough RAM
  • If possible, connect via cable, not WiFi
19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You are stating it is slow, lagging, whatsoever, without details.

OK, so I go ahead: Win10, i7, build 2012 (yes, 8 years), 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD. Just a good, solid office PC. EN is running fine, no real issues.

Possible improvements from my experience:

• Run from an SSD
  • Enough RAM
  • If possible, connect via cable, not WiFi

You have GOT to be kidding us......"without details"?? And then... you have the audacity to suggest some rudimentary steps to address a situation that did now exist with the previous version that sounds like something out of Computers 101 from 30 years ago. Do you work for the company? If so, then you should have all of the details you need if you all have done ANY research on this at all. And that could be as simple as running it on a couple of computers and see for yourselves what a piece of poo V10 is instead of trying to be dismissive about the issues. And if you don't work for the company, then don't insult us with asinine  posts like that. SERIOUSLY??

Sorry for the rant, but this lack of response from the company and the dismissive attitude about all of the people who are having issues is just mind-numbing. They take a really good and functional, responsive program, totally hose it, and then sit on their thumbs.

• Like 1

Yes, I have to say that I'm kind of stunned.  No one has been more of a fanboy for Evernote for the last 10 years than myself.  I use it 50X a day and it revolutionized the way I do absolutely everything.  I no longer deal with paper of any kind.  I run my business with EN, organize my life through it, use it for all my research projects, store countless files in it etc etc.  Evernote for me is like Amazon or Gmail ie: an absolutely fundamental part of my life.  So I must admit that I'm a bit confused by why all of this is happening but I have faith in the company overall.  I am assuming that something terribly wrong occurred but am also hoping that they realize that millions of power users such as myself are pinning our hopes on them.  I will keep waiting for improvements and remain optimistic.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, idoc said:

Yes, I have to say that I'm kind of stunned.  No one has been more of a fanboy for Evernote for the last 10 years than myself.  I use it 50X a day and it revolutionized the way I do absolutely everything.  I no longer deal with paper of any kind.  I run my business with EN, organize my life through it, use it for all my research projects, store countless files in it etc etc.  Evernote for me is like Amazon or Gmail ie: an absolutely fundamental part of my life.  So I must admit that I'm a bit confused by why all of this is happening but I have faith in the company overall.  I am assuming that something terribly wrong occurred but am also hoping that they realize that millions of power users such as myself are pinning our hopes on them.  I will keep waiting for improvements and remain optimistic.

Take a look at Ian Small's recent report on the state of the product.

30 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Take a look at Ian Small's recent report on the state of the product.

I looked at it and am more confused than ever.  Essentially he is saying that they knew that power users would be slammed by this, but that overall the changes would make the 5 platforms work better together.  It's like a country western band telling their most loyal fans that they are converting to rap to increase market share and profits.  I understand what he is saying but surely there must have been a more nuanced way of doing this.

• Haha 3

Well, Ian Small's article is somewhat comforting. At least he admits that there were mistakes in the expectation level, a huge understatement. I never saw an expectation level, just a horrible software release that, according to a major release meeting traditional standards with expected issues, we got a barely functional, feature stripped disaster. Combined with an almost compete lack of support or even comment, they sent a lot of their long time power users off into space. OK, done for a while. Grabbing big comfortable chair and bag of popcorn to see how this train wreck repairs.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, idoc said:

I understand what he is saying but surely there must have been a more nuanced way of doing this.

How about this     please be aware that there are a handful of features—such as ...—that are not yet available. If your workflow depends on these features, you can continue to use our legacy apps
https://evernote.com/blog/new-windows-mac/

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

please be aware that there are a handful of features—such as ...—that are not yet available. If your workflow depends on these features, you can continue to use our legacy apps

Priceless... succinct and hits the nail on the head the first time...IF ONLY that was communicated, would have taken some heat out of the sting for those that would have chosen to bite the bullet, but at least people can revert to v6. 

Ian Small said they focused on the masses vs passionate users on the forum, when determining a consistent/coherent experience, but I don't know, I see a lot of 1-10 Forum-Post Premium subscribers coming out of the woodwork threatening to leave, left, or otherwise unhappy.  Doesnt seem like they were consulted!

Slimming down their internal structure to have 1 team develop across all platforms makes good operational sense, and indeed it looks like they're pace or 'velocity' at bringing out new version is definitely way faster... I just think they needed to delay a little longer and balance user needs better before launching.

• Like 2

A few things seems a bit weird in the Post/Apology, which does not really seem to be an apology but rather a
"Most people like it better, You should have just kept the old version, only some users have problems" post

(A) We believed this was the right path because Mac and Windows users dependent on missing features could continue to use (and reinstall if necessary) their legacy Evernote Mac or Windows client.
1. You think an acceptable option is to not use the new product, but stay with the old one?
2. You assumed that people would have known that that is what you wanted them to do? That was part of your plan?

(B) Our most advanced power users
      our most intensive customers
      set proper expectations with our power users
      our most intensive users

1. It gives the impression that the problems are only happening to only a few fringe people who use the product in some insane ways

(C) met the needs of 90 percent of our customers
1. 10% is a lot of customers to be willing to have unhappy
2. Is everything fine for 90% of the users?
3. Is everything fine for 90% of Paying users?
4. Is there a "number" of notes after which the performance has the crazy drop.
Maybe 17,000 notes is a lot - but I just checked and I have been using Evernote for over 11.5 years, so I am not sure if that is unreasonable.

One other thing sort of bothers me, although he mentions performance, it is not really emphasized in  away I would expect. This is not a 10% slowdown, this is a "your product has become unusable" Holy Cow performance issue. 

Well Like many of us here, my problem is I am too deeply invested to just switch to another option without a lot of work and changing my workflow, so I will sit with my old version and hope for the best.
(reading that above line sounds exactly where I feel I am with the new "Haha it is not free any more" Google Photos move.)

Cheers!

(RavBoy - sorry I repeated stuff you said I was in Edit mode and did not see yours till I put my post up :) )

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees

Hey everyone. Thanks for your feedback. We hear you and will continue to work on performance. Our 10.5 update released today contains performance improvements for note loading, the sidebar, and attaching files.

But we're not done.  If performance issues continue on 10.5 please let us know with the following details in your report: 

• Note Count
  • Specific actions in the app that are too slow For example, Files ~XMB in size take too long to attach. Merging X# of notes with X# of attachments takes too long .etc.
  • If possible, a screen recording of the behavior 
  • If you notice the issue while working with specific notes, and you're comfortable  sharing them  please attach an exported .enex copy of the note  or include a note link. 

These details will help up prioritize our areas of ongoing performance improvements. thanks again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, William C said:

16 hours after you posted that about 10.5.6 update, neither my 10.0. whatever or my EN Legacy show any updates available and say I'm on the latest version. Another win for the EN team?

Just go to Evernote.com and do a download... the updates don't always push out to an app notification right away. 
And I just tested 10.5.6 - it is noticably improved over prior v10 versions for performance (77,000+ notes)... still needs more tweaking, but so far much more usable for the quick test I've done (although it did take about 4 seconds from the point of clicking "new note" to being able to type into a new note). 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Austin G said:

Hey everyone. Thanks for your feedback. We hear you and will continue to work on performance. Our 10.5 update released today contains performance improvements for note loading, the sidebar, and attaching files.

But we're not done.  If performance issues continue on 10.5 please let us know with the following details in your report: 

• Note Count
  • Specific actions in the app that are too slow For example, Files ~XMB in size take too long to attach. Merging X# of notes with X# of attachments takes too long .etc.
  • If you notice the issue while working with specific notes, and you're comfortable  sharing them  please attach an exported .enex copy of the note  or include a note link. 

These details will help up prioritize our areas of ongoing performance improvements. thanks again. 

General performance video... clicking on a few notes - much improved, thanks - still needs work to catch up to what Legacy is.
Typing a note - still have lag with typing during those constant 'saving note' points.
Inserting small images - brutally long waits.

My database is of 77,000+ notes.

here's the video:

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

Thanks very much @ej8899 for your effort to post this for all of us.  Very useful to someone like me who remains on the side-lines with v6.25 for Windows.

Even with your powerful i7 computer and fast 'ethernet' connection speeds, the performance displayed is terrible.  No way I will move to v10 like that!  Reminded me of mid-90's internet speeds 🙂  I mean 41 seconds ( I timed it) to attach a 125kb PDF... crazy!  And you say this a noticeable improvement... OMG!  So how long to upload a 100MB video???

I've been impressed with the latest version of the EN-Web-Client... and I notice how v10.5 en-windows appears identical, so much so I had to rewind to the beginning of your video to check you were indeed recording usage on EN 10.5 for Windows! lol

In v10.5 (and web client) I really like:

• the dark mode
  • the clean note display when just viewing, until you click in the note editor upon which the toolbar pops up...noice.

Would be great if you could do a split side-by-side video/window of v10 vs v6 on you next video think smartphone or gopro YouTube comparison videos.  And what about the Note List pane (middle vertical pane) does it allow 'View Option preferences???...as I prefer the 'Side list' option to make it cleaner without thumbnails etc else scrolling forever.  

Overall the video gave me the impression that v10 is a web experience on desktop...weird.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Austin G said:

• Note Count

Yikes.. selected 12 notes, hit deleted.   Process took about 2 minutes, but finally it deleted those 12 notes.  As with my previous post, database is about 77,000 notes
If you folks at Evernote are interested in discussing and getting more details from me, let me know.  Happy to do some extra testing of a large-ish database. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, ej8899 said:

General performance video... clicking on a few notes - much improved, thanks - still needs work to catch up to what Legacy is.

Thanks for this.  It is still miserably slow compared to almost instantaneous 6.25.1 though.  Still in that lag that could lose train of thought range.  :(

Thanks, for the video - aaawwwful experience to see ... As said by @CalSmiserably slow compared to 6.25.1.. 

My impression is: even the EN web-version is faster than this nearly perfect equipped EN PC client with v10.
This truely is not a performance to gain lots of new and paying future power users...
(others will stay on legacy as long as possible...)

On 12/16/2020 at 8:04 AM, Austin G said:

• Note Count

Is this a joke? It is so laggy that you can't work with it

I've had an open support ticket on this item since Nov 16 (Ticket# 3205058). I'm running MacMini, 11.1, Have EN 10.5.7 Build 2171

This post has to do with the degree to which my ISP's signal contributes to lags in EN performance speed.  I'm trying to get the technical information without rant or opinion.

• What are the VERIFIED (not theoretical) EN 10.4/10.5 minimum limits for data transfer rate (MB/s Up & Down), "jitter"(ms), latency (ms) and packet loss%? 
  • How does EN handle data flow during below minimum conditions. 

I have other online apps that behave poorly during high jitter, long latency and high packet loss.  Particularly when there is input data exchange going on between my system and secure forms - like banking transactions, online ordering. I have exactly 1 reasonable option for an ISP.  If I can confirm that iNet signal is the main problem, I'll just switch to the Legacy version and speed up my hunt for EN alternatives while putting some pressure on my ISP.

My issue is similar to many forum posts I've read. It has to do with the jerky/erratic appearance of text being entered into an EN note.  Delays ranging from noticeable to 2 second delay between keystroke and its appearance within the EN.   It syncs perfectly with the new "saving"/ "all changes saved" dialog in the lower right of the note.  I first noticed it in 10.3.7, and then 10.4.4 and with no specific cause known, I expect it will pop up in 10.5 as well.  It is not systematic or reproducible - seems to happen randomly and for various lengths of time. I did notice that the new "saving"/ "all changes saved" dialog in the lower right of the note synced perfectly with the "jerky" behavior.  I'm guessing that "all changes saved" means that the data is confirmed to be saved to the cloud database - but I don't know that.  I noticed that when the amount of time "saving" increased, my lag in keyboard entry also increased. 

13 hours ago, CalS said:

Thanks for this.  It is still miserably slow compared to almost instantaneous 6.25.1 though.  Still in that lag that could lose train of thought range.  :(

8 hours ago, HeBoIz said:

Thanks, for the video - aaawwwful experience to see ... As said by @CalSmiserably slow compared to 6.25.1.. 

My impression is: even the EN web-version is faster than this nearly perfect equipped EN PC client with v10.
This truely is not a performance to gain lots of new and paying future power users...
(others will stay on legacy as long as possible...)

As @ej8899 has implied, I think the size of your EN database is having a major impact on performance with v10. I have about 2k notes, and while v10.5.7 is not as snappy as the legacy version, I'm seeing much better performance than ej, and I am noticing some (fairly minor, but very welcome) performance improvements with 10.5 as opposed to 10.4.

I hope they take @ej8899 up on their offer to help test a very large database, and hopefully they are able to continue improving performance for everyone, whether large database or small.

1 hour ago, sqcpro said:

I've had an open support ticket on this item since Nov 16 (Ticket# 3205058). I'm running MacMini, 11.1, Have EN 10.5.7 Build 2171

This post has to do with the degree to which my ISP's signal contributes to lags in EN performance speed.  I'm trying to get the technical information without rant or opinion.

• What are the VERIFIED (not theoretical) EN 10.4/10.5 minimum limits for data transfer rate (MB/s Up & Down), "jitter"(ms), latency (ms) and packet loss%? 
  • How does EN handle data flow during below minimum conditions. 

I have other online apps that behave poorly during high jitter, long latency and high packet loss.  Particularly when there is input data exchange going on between my system and secure forms - like banking transactions, online ordering. I have exactly 1 reasonable option for an ISP.  If I can confirm that iNet signal is the main problem, I'll just switch to the Legacy version and speed up my hunt for EN alternatives while putting some pressure on my ISP.

My issue is similar to many forum posts I've read. It has to do with the jerky/erratic appearance of text being entered into an EN note.  Delays ranging from noticeable to 2 second delay between keystroke and its appearance within the EN.   It syncs perfectly with the new "saving"/ "all changes saved" dialog in the lower right of the note.  I first noticed it in 10.3.7, and then 10.4.4 and with no specific cause known, I expect it will pop up in 10.5 as well.  It is not systematic or reproducible - seems to happen randomly and for various lengths of time. I did notice that the new "saving"/ "all changes saved" dialog in the lower right of the note synced perfectly with the "jerky" behavior.  I'm guessing that "all changes saved" means that the data is confirmed to be saved to the cloud database - but I don't know that.  I noticed that when the amount of time "saving" increased, my lag in keyboard entry also increased. 

I know is a Windows forum, so I also posted to Mac.  I imagine the iNet parameter minimum requirements would be the same but don't know if EN verified the minimums for both Mac & Windows.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

I hope they take @ej8899 up on their offer to help test a very large database, and hopefully they are able to continue improving performance for everyone, whether large database or small.

Ditto. 

I noticed that they do not seem to be offering the v10 update anymore on their usual update mechanism.  When I go to "check for updates" is says that I am using the latest version.  I realize that I could bypass that but I thought it was interesting because on my other computer (also win 7) it did give me the option to do the update a few days ago.  I did it, didn't like it and returned to legacy.  

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Paul A. said:

As @ej8899 has implied, I think the size of your EN database is having a major impact on performance with v10.

Could very well be.  Of my 51.5k notes 43.4 are synced.  I cannot use the V10 browser version at all.  It might work for a couple of notes and then the spinning circle sticks. 

I can however use the previous version which doesn't have a version number best I can tell.  Green icons in the sidebar.  It works like you would want V10 to work.  A tiny bit of internet lag but not much.  No loss of mind focus when switching notes.  I don't use it much, mostly on Windows desktop 6.25.1  Argh.

ScreenClip.png.4b8b32c06f4e18b78d3228d819cc1fa4.png

• Sad 1
On 11/11/2020 at 10:19 AM, akrasna said:

Well they seem to be quite calm about the issue.

I'd love to hear - yes we are noticing crazy slowness and acknowledge it is a bug and are working diligently on it now before we lose our core users (paid core users at that)

When I am watching their official Evernote calm youtube videos I am wondering if they are living on another planet or we have the same software. The update is catastrophe, most of the users cannot work with it because it is so laggy, not to mentioning their lack of response in the next and next update about possibility to change the keyboard shortcuts. If that would be other company, workers will be afraid to show this level of development of this software to the boss what to talk about releasing it to the wider public. People would get fired for such mistakes. 

• Like 3

I'm ready to put up with bugs, the lack of functions, but the general slowness of EN is killing me. To be honest, it is more troubling than anything else that productivity hasn't improved much in recent months. Why do I need new features if I wait few seconds for the sign I typed to appear on the monitor?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Vitaliy Grinchuk said:

I'm ready to put up with bugs, the lack of functions, but the general slowness of EN is killing me. To be honest, it is more troubling than anything else that productivity hasn't improved much in recent months. Why do I need new features if I wait few seconds for the sign I typed to appear on the monitor?

And it's not only slowness of evernote, but when the v10 is runninng it take so much memory that every other software is lagging too. Imagine, how horrible it has to be that the authors are convincing you to use the older version. 

• Like 1

15+ year user, 10+ year premium user

Seriously considering abandoning ship.

The performance (Windows and Mac) is unforgiveable. And it freezes too so that if it's unresponsive I can't tell whether to wait, or quit and restart.

authors are convincing you to use the older version

I would do this in a heartbeat, but are the databases compatible? I thought that once I'd upgraded and used it for a while, I was stuck?

27 minutes ago, jdmarch said:

I would do this in a heartbeat, but are the databases compatible? I thought that once I'd upgraded and used it for a while, I was stuck?

I use the V6.25 for work which is through remote desktop since I need speed to do my job.

I have the V10 on my personal PC at home and on the local PC at work.

I am not aware of any issues running both versions. One comment I had read from an Evernote staff was not to run both of them at the same time. But switching back and forth seems to be ok.

I do agree with your speed comments and freezing issues. I hope those will go away soon....very soon.

• Like 1

I am only able to stay with Evernote by using legacy Android and Windows versions.

The new Android app is so slow, I can go away and make a cup of tea before it starts, but when it does start, it is so badly designed, I wish I hadn't opened it.

What was the goal of the new app 'Hey, we've got a great app here, everyone likes it. Lets see if we can ruin it'.

Dear all,

I am writing just to express my discontent.

Every time I use the app, my MacBook slows down considerably.

I checked everything, it has to do with this software. It is the only one that has this effect on my laptop...

It has become almost impossible to use.

Also, when I actually try to use it, the upload time of a document has become really long and the search function has become less and less helpful...

I gave feedback, asked for support, nothing changed.

What is going on with Evernote?

I really do not understand. It seems that also many other users are unhappy.

Has Evernote understood what is causing the problems?

I am a premium user right now, but I do not know if I'll be one for much longer considering that it has been like this for months now.

I usually do not rant on fora, but the fact that things are not improving concerns me.

I hope that Evernote has planned to provide a solution as soon as possible.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Tocqueville

Just a reminder for the Evernote team that we're still crossing our fingers for some drastic performance updates... this is version 10.5.7 on Windows showing memory and cpu resource hogging.   This was during a very 'sluggish' time of operating.  Something must be going into 'runaway' creating this problem every so often.   Hopefull we see this type of thing corrected early on in 2021!

1538301966_evernote-memoryrunaway.thumb.png.602945c4a7d7267e0b5fa298a664a9fc.png

• Like 2

On Windows, I just uninstalled 10.5.7 and replaced it with 6.25 from File Hippo (linked above).

It's like having a 100 lb stone removed from my back! Starts up in less than a second (vs 20-30 seconds or frozen)

I'm leaving the newer versions installed on Mac and Android for now, where I don't use EN that much.

• Like 1

The new app is almost completely unusable on my 2019 MacBook Pro. I double a click a note to bring up the full window and I have to wait a full 5 seconds for the note to populate. And that's just a text note! My notes that have PDF files sometimes never show up in the preview, or if they do it can take up to 20 seconds. How is it possible they released this version? The new design looks nice I guess, but none of that matters with terrible performance. I've been a paid Evernote customer since 2012 and for the first time ever I'm looking for alternatives. It's just unacceptable. 

• Like 1

I've been a Premium user for about 10 years and the version 10 "web app" for Mac is slow, unusable and buggy. This is a clear example when the business objectives to have a unified product experience succeeds at the expense of the customers. I have always felt this is a lazy and cynical business strategy. I use Evernote on my desktop, web (on my Windows machine) and iPhone and iPad. I think apps should be designed to take advantage of the strengths and the workflow for each platform. That's my opinion but I'm an engineer and not a product manager.

Fundamentally, my primary issue is that the editor cannot keep up with my typing. That's the deal breaker right there. Also, the search doesn't seem to persist. It seems to change contexts to the notebook of the note when I select a search item. I haven't properly researched the exact behavior but I seem to recall that search seems to be broken. There are a couple of small advantages to being a web app like the embedded youtube and other links, pdfs and rich content within the note seems to be better. However, a lot of easy access to the the formatting tools seems to be missing.

I'm not about to give up my Premium subscription but I'm happy to see there is a downgrade path:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

I'm currently using Evernote Legacy 7.14.1 and it's the Evernote App that I know and love. I can edit and manage notes with speed again. Happy feelings.

I'll be back to evaluate Evernote 10 next quarter once the performance and bugs are resolved.

Still a happy customer - even after product missteps.

I've just started using Evernote, and initially, I liked it. However, in the last few days, I've started encountering the issue where the notes weren't showing up. Quitting it fully fixed that. 

Since that happened, Evernote will gradually (over a couple of hours) begin eating up all of my RAM. This is no small amount of RAM -- sometimes 16+GB. Quitting out of the app via the icon in the taskbar does not close it. I have to use Task Manager to end the task; often multiple times. 

Note: I don't have a lot of content on Evernotes yet. I've got exactly two notes with a combined total of less than 15,000 words.

I don't have any screenshots of this behavior yet, but I'll see if I can get some the next time it happens. It's made the app entirely unusable to me and I'm having to return to Standard Notes.

On 1/4/2021 at 10:14 AM, Mr. Toad said:

I've been a Premium user for about 10 years and the version 10 "web app" for Mac is slow, unusable and buggy. This is a clear example when the business objectives to have a unified product experience succeeds at the expense of the customers. I have always felt this is a lazy and cynical business strategy. I use Evernote on my desktop, web (on my Windows machine) and iPhone and iPad. I think apps should be designed to take advantage of the strengths and the workflow for each platform. That's my opinion but I'm an engineer and not a product manager.

Fundamentally, my primary issue is that the editor cannot keep up with my typing. That's the deal breaker right there. Also, the search doesn't seem to persist. It seems to change contexts to the notebook of the note when I select a search item. I haven't properly researched the exact behavior but I seem to recall that search seems to be broken. There are a couple of small advantages to being a web app like the embedded youtube and other links, pdfs and rich content within the note seems to be better. However, a lot of easy access to the the formatting tools seems to be missing.

I'm not about to give up my Premium subscription but I'm happy to see there is a downgrade path:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

I'm currently using Evernote Legacy 7.14.1 and it's the Evernote App that I know and love. I can edit and manage notes with speed again. Happy feelings.

I'll be back to evaluate Evernote 10 next quarter once the performance and bugs are resolved.

Still a happy customer - even after product missteps.

Mr. Toad,

I'm a bit confused as to how your Evernote Legacy is 7.14.1 because my legacy version is 6.25.  Is yours the desktop version?  I thought that there was only one version of the legacy evernote and that there would be no further changes to it.

Hi, I love the look of the new version, but have to agree it is so slow. It takes forever to start the app initially, and then when using it, it's so laggy. I click on New Note and it can take up to 10-15 seconds to get to a point that I can start taking notes.

in the old version, it started almost instantly and it was super responsive.

Please fix the new version!!

So about a month ago I tried v10 windows desktop and I posted an observation that there was no way to set all of the notes to display pdf's as attachments (as opposed to having to see the entire pdf).  I realize that I can take individual pdf's within a note and shrink them down to an icon, but it seems as if there is no way to set this as a preference.  Since nearly all of my notes have pdf's it has caused an excessively busy look in which nearly the entire page is taken up with the pdf image.  At the time I thought this was merely a fluke that would be quickly ironed out, but I see that the problem is still there.  So I see this:

image.thumb.png.3d62c7bd0fc8dc3247be067da29626bf.png

Instead of this:

image.png.57732bd3c3296b35713782084fdcddd0.png

LONG TIME EVERNOTE USER - PLEASE HELP US!   The new version has LESS features and runs slow and/or crashes.  Is anyone developing this app listening to its users?  I am usually the one making positive comments about Evernote and have recommended it to countless people.  Can you somehow just give us back the previous version which worked great.  You changed the GUI and completely destroyed the reason we use it.  I run 3 companies and really need the information I store in it quickly.  

On 1/9/2021 at 5:23 AM, Skweez said:

LONG TIME EVERNOTE USER - PLEASE HELP US!   The new version has LESS features and runs slow and/or crashes.  Is anyone developing this app listening to its users?  I am usually the one making positive comments about Evernote and have recommended it to countless people.  Can you somehow just give us back the previous version which worked great.  You changed the GUI and completely destroyed the reason we use it.  I run 3 companies and really need the information I store in it quickly.  

You can grab the prior version for Windows & Mac still as a Legacy edition and run as you did until they sort out v10 performance problems.
I've got a video up on finding and installing Legacy here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5jBqwfoo_0

10.6.9 just released on Mac. The release notes don't mention general performance problems, but it will be interesting to see if this improves anyway.

On Windows (my main platform for Evernote) I'm not prepared to take the risk of returning to version 10 until I hear some consistent positive reports.

I've been using EN Premium under various accounts since about 2014 and I don't have a lot of notes (< 2500) which are all probably better suited to some sort of database rather than as "notes" but EN worked so I kept at it. I have tried the new version 10 a few times and it looks very pretty but for my purposes doesn't work very well. I use portables a lot (Acer laptop & MS Surface Pro along with Android phones and tablets) and not having all my stuff instantly available is pretty awkward at times. Lack of the usual shortcuts as well as changes to them (I like '2021-01-20' for a date vs. 'January 20, 2021' for sorting purposes) are causing difficulty as well. However, with time it might be possible to adapt. After all, it's been six years learning the old Evernote and while I can't remember those olden days I imagine things then were difficult as well simply due to lack of experience with the product.

However, my concern is not so much with the product's current incarnation but with Evernote's overall direction. I can imagine the panic some Friday afternoon when the announcement is made that legacy EN will no longer function as of Monday and people had best download version 10 ASAP if they want to retain access to their data.

With this nightmare in mind I have done a ton of experimenting with similar products/alternatives (I'm retired, I have time to do that stuff) such as OneNote (MS loves reading your notes), Nimbus (if you thought the EN editor was lame, Nimbus is legless), and all the others. Then I found an open-source package called Joplin.

For my purposes its only drawback is the lack of thumbnails which make things easier for my old eyes . It doesn't have much in the way of formatting as it's markdown based but I don't need a lot of formatting. It imports ENEX files almost perfectly (again, for my purposes) and runs on every platform there is. It syncs perfectly with multiple cloud providers but I use it with webDAV on my Synology NAS. Everything is always available on my devices, no network required (think EN offline-notebook access) and I can sync when I get home or feel like connecting to my LAN.

This is not a solution for everyone but it works for me. And I don't have to worry about EN suddenly cutting off "legacy" access. There's a learning curve but after a month or so of duplicating every action (I'm retired, I can do that) it seems to work well.

And the best part - it's FREE.

My two "premium" Evernote subscriptions might not be renewed.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

Then I found an open-source package called Joplin. For my purposes its only drawback is the lack of thumbnails which make things easier for my old eyes . It doesn't have much in the way of formatting as it's markdown based but I don't need a lot of formatting. It

Thanks for the info @OrbWeaver. Presumably (and from brief look at its docs) Joplin does not have Evernote's ability to do fuzzy searching in images? For everything else it sounds perfect. And frankly markdown would be a relief after Evernote's stubborn inability, decade after decade, to allow me to reformat text to my needs.

One issue which may be relevant is how secure is Joplin?  Evernote is a large company and has accountability to its paying and non-paying members.  Not sure if Joplin provides the same level of security.  Many Evernote users have private and financial information within their Evernote notes.  May be of concern to some.  Other than that I looked at Joplin and it looks quite good.  Personally, I'm planning to keep copies of my Enex files in Gdrive and then migrate to Joplin only if it becomes neccessary.

14 hours ago, idoc said:

One issue which may be relevant is how secure is Joplin?  Evernote is a large company and has accountability to its paying and non-paying members.  Not sure if Joplin provides the same level of security.  Many Evernote users have private and financial information within their Evernote notes.  May be of concern to some.  Other than that I looked at Joplin and it looks quite good.  Personally, I'm planning to keep copies of my Enex files in Gdrive and then migrate to Joplin only if it becomes neccessary.

Security is far better than Evernote's. Full end-to-end encryption is built-in although since I'm using my own NAS (with its own encryption) Joplin's is not required. So whether the data is stored on your local file system, on Dropbox, OneDrive or wherever, it's encrypted. It can even be stored on gdrive although for privacy reasons I would never put anything on a Google controlled system. That's another concern I've had for quite some time - the fact that all the Evernote data is on Google servers. I don't care who says what about it being secure, Google is Google and if they decide to read it they can.

• Like 2