App Performance Issues: Slowness/Poor Responsiveness/Lag

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

• Level 5
5 hours ago, Vitaliy Grinchuk said:

Colored tags! They made it possible to work very quickly and productively with notes. Where is the color?

Shortcuts! Do you know why they are needed? To always be in front of my eyes and help in my work. Why did you remove them?

I'm in agreement on these. But FYI, see this discussion on colored tags. The shortcuts still exist, don't they, but in the left panel now (which I agree is a hopelessly bad place for them)?

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm in agreement on these. But FYI, see this discussion on colored tags. The shortcuts still exist, don't they, but in the left panel now (which I agree is a hopelessly bad place for them)?

I have about 30,000 notes. I work on 5-6 media projects per month. Each project is about 10-15 notes. Colored tags such as "in progress", "checking" give a quick estimate of the amount of work for the day or week. I don't need to read headlines or small gray tags. I can see everything by colors. This is a very productive method.

• Like 9

Very excited for this release. Love the appearance, for the most part. But there are serious problems, in order of priority:

1. It is too slow to be functional. Just all around.
  2. No longer any access to Business notebooks. Once you "leave" a notebook, kiss it goodbye, because though it exists in the "Enterprise," there is no way to access Enterprise notebooks. Major oversight here.
  3. Note links no longer work.
  4. Hotkeys don't work reliably. One minute they work, then the next they don't, then a few moments later they're working again.
  5. I am not crazy about the hard firewall between Business and Personal. But I could get over it if the app worked more quickly.
  6. No sync button, no sync status, so no way to know why new notes aren't showing up or when they'll get there.

I hope these issues can be resolved quickly. Above all, if this can't be made faster and more responsive, I just cannot use it.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Tim Kowal (b) said:

It is too slow to be functional. Just all around

Yeah I can try to work around other issues or lack of features if it wasn’t so slow for me. I can’t even test it or use it for longer than 5 minutes when my patience runs out either due to load times or just the partial freezing. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
On 10/9/2020 at 11:25 AM, PhilRSoT said:

The good news is that the earlier version is still installedon your computer - and it runs perfectly !

Until it doesn't. When/if they change the sync engine the legacy app is dead in the water. 

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, dbvirago said:

Until it doesn't. When/if they change the sync engine the legacy app is dead in the water. 

That's when I will have to take action - but it's another day

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Then we have to take action - that's another day

I agree that due to the nature of Evernote, our diligence at backups and the local nature of the storage means we can wait and be fine. 

But I've used the other guys enough to know I can be happy with any of them just as well and would rather not wait. I've been working on my transition since I first saw the beta. If that was the result of two years work, I had zero confidence. 

I don't want to wait until I'm floating on a piece of wood with Kate Winslett... or DTLow

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, dbvirago said:

I agree that due to the nature of Evernote, our diligence at backups and the local nature of the storage means we can wait and be fine. 

But I've used the other guys enough to know I can be happy with any of them just as well and would rather not wait. I've been working on my transition since I first saw the beta. If that was the result of two years work, I had zero confidence. 

I don't want to wait until I'm floating on a piece of wood with Kate Winslett... or DTLow

If you wouldn’t mind which other product do you like the best?  DM if you would prefer not to answer in the forum.  

9 hours ago, DTLow said:

Then we have to take action - that's another day

@DTLow

I can only suppose that you had no inkling of what was to come. But don't you, on reflection regret brushing aside the umpteen issues users complained about over time? 

Unless Evernote literally scrap what they proudly call the new Evernote here and now there is no hope.  Whoever decided on revamping Evernote based on Electron had no idea.  You just got to look around what kind of known applications are Electron based to appreciate the situation. 

Speak up now and make them come to their senses whilst there is still a chance. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

@DTLow

I can only suppose that you had no inkling of what was to come. But don't you, on reflection regret brushing aside the umpteen issues users complained about over time? 

Unless Evernote literally scrap what they proudly call the new Evernote here and now there is no hope.  Whoever decided on revamping Evernote based on Electron had no idea.  You just got to look around what kind of known applications are Electron based to appreciate the situation. 

Speak up now and make them come to their senses whilst there is still a chance. 

Who says and who really thinks, there is still a chance?

The decision for unification, at the end with Elektron, was made more than 2 years ago. As far as I can see there had allready been long discussions abaout pros and cons regarding Elektron - before the decision and during "reconstruction" of the new Evernote.

We now see a complete different Evernote product on nearly all plattforms except of Android (which might come soon..).

It surely will not be by accident, that all these versions start with 10.x, leaving out 9.# on iOS, 8.# on MacOs and 7.# on Windows. This seems to speak for a new approach and a new - so far streamlined and stripped, unificated - product -- all this as a strategical decision by management or by stakeholders.

And look out, how the discussions are treated in this forum: only a few things are handled as bugs, the most is dicussed as "request". I assume these requests are used to filter out, which of the nearly uncountable additional functions and features of the former different plattform-versions are really essential - at least to most of us.

We may wonder and discuss about reasons, we may whine or complain about bugs or missing and beloved former and in some cases OS-specific features and functions.

But I can't see, that there is any way to turn the wheel back. I think therefore it's more important to give reasons for (re-) implementing functions and features and to vote for it as request for all those, who like to stay with Evernote as their note-taking and productivity tool, than to condemn the people we have to rely on 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, JohnLongney said:

But don't you, on reflection regret brushing aside the umpteen issues users complained about over time? 

I'm still not into "complaining"; just how to make the best use this product    
I continue to participate in the requests feedback process, and occasionally in testing feedback

• Like 2
9 hours ago, CalS said:

If you wouldn’t mind which other product do you like the best?  DM if you would prefer not to answer in the forum.  

Best might be a stretch. I am taking a short and long term approach. Short term, just in case, in addition to my normal backup procedures, I have dumped my entire EN catalog into Nimbus, Notion and OneNote. These were all easy to do, ran overnight, and it's there if I need it.

Longer term, I am reevaluating my entire workflow. For ten years, I have just dumped everything into Evernote. It was easy and it worked. The problem now is, I have a huge dump, with whichever way you want to take that word. And a lot of those decisions were made ten years ago with ten year old tech.

So now, I am doing what I have done in other workflows of mine, photography and project management and segmenting the needs, then deciding what will get each job done best. It's nice to think that one piece of tech will do everything, but 1) you end up pounding a lot of square pegs into round holes, and 2) there isn't much difference in clicking between tabs in one software vs clicking into different software.

So, it's still being fleshed out, but my thinking is this.
Email will be organized in email. The tools to organize email in most packages is much better than it used to be and searching there is just as efficient as anywhere else.

Web clipping will be done by Pocket or Notion depending on the intended use.

Anything that would benefit from a graphical UI and/or a database will go into Notion. Notion will also be a hub so I can reference what is in other places.

Document storage and retrieval, most likely OneNote. Only because I'm already paying for 1Tb of storage there. The interface will get some getting used to, but it works.

During this process, Evernote will get pared down to bare bones, flushing out all the *****. So, if they do turn it around, I will have a good, new starting point to build the future. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
59 minutes ago, dbvirago said:

I have dumped my entire EN catalog into Nimbus

Wow Nimbus looks like what I want Evernote to be! This is the first time I have downloaded the app and am really testing it out.

I know this is Evernote discussion and I have been a dedicated fan for years but I, for the first time, am looking for an alternate in case V10 does not get better. I am sure support for 6.25 is going to go away sooner or later and also let's face it, even when 6.25 was the latest version the focus and support was not great, now it will be sooo in the backburner for their team.

1 hour ago, dbvirago said:

It's nice to think that one piece of tech will do everything, but 1) you end up pounding a lot of square pegs into round holes, and 2) there isn't much difference in clicking between tabs in one software vs clicking into different software.

↑ This is really a good way of summarizing productivity apps and workflow. A lot of apps claim to do it all or try to cover too much. I don't mind switching as long as you have a rule of which app is handling what for you. As long as you don't have to look for something in two places,  you can have as many apps as you want. 

1 hour ago, dbvirago said:

Longer term, I am reevaluating my entire workflow.

I think a lot of us are doing this right now which is unfortunate as I was not even thinking about that during V6.25. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am starting to look for alternatives myself ... to not include a key feature like different sorting in a search makes me worried for the whole "sanity" of the Evernote-products future (read: lack of jugdement of those in charge)... I haven't read all of the above. But as a "The Secret Weapon" user totally dependent on beeing able to store searches and sort them at least by date and also by title I am not able to use the new version.

Of the above I read NIMBUS... I have to go and will read above but any TSW (GTD) users here please feel free to "jump in" .... 
( I see after I wrote this that I am in a Windows-version thread. My iPad/iPhone app is where I had my complaint about above. I have not deared to upgrade the windows version yet. Can I?)

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, KnutBH said:

I see after I wrote this that I am in a Windows-version thread. My iPad/iPhone app is where I had my complaint about above. I have not deared to upgrade the windows version yet. Can I?)

Be careful, the situation on windows is even far harder than on iPadOS...

you’d better wait and see...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, HeBoIz said:

Be careful, the situation on windows is even far harder than on iPadOS...

you’d better wait and see...

Thank you very much for the warning - I have to get around to downgrade my iPhone... As of now I have to carry my iPad (not upgraded) "everywhere" I need to consult my Evernote for actions in the way I want ....

The new version 10 for windows is an EPIC failure. Looks like EN is focused these days only on Growth and Cost-savings (joint code base) and not UX and innovative features. I really hope some decent company acquires EN sometime soon.

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, dbvirago said:

Longer term, I am reevaluating my entire workflow. For ten years, I have just dumped everything into Evernote. It was easy and it worked. The problem now is, I have a huge dump,

That sums it up for me as well.  EN has become my paperless hub for personal records, information, and task management.  Local notebooks were a key component of that.  As stated elsewhere since most of my local stuff is a PDF I think I can actually use Windows folders and indexing to accomplish the same thing.  Loss of function being a unified search of my own but the search itself is instantaneous.

Tough part is what has been stripped from the clients.  IOS for me at first blush needs a reliable/quick sync and sorting search results.  I really only use it for finding things and a little note updating.  Windows is a bit more problematic what with the aforementioned local notebooks, import folders, server indexing lags, lost hot keys, etc.  I really like the cross platform capability of EN, could give a **** about the editor or spoon fed search.  I may end up porting my local stuff and ride 6.25 on the desktop, old IOS on the iPad, deal with new IOS on my phone (updated too quick shame on me) for a while.

But then I have to take a moment to consider what's just happened.  If these guys thought this V10 stuff was a good idea what else do they have up their sleeves?  And the crickets I hear chirping when questions are asked about what is gone forever, what is coming back and when don't help.  Anyway hopefully a couple of months will clear things up.

• Like 3

I'm not going to put fuel to the discussion about leaving Evernote and such, but I want to add my experience with the responsiveness. 

On 10/9/2020 at 7:12 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I'm using this thread to centralize posts regarding app performance issues.

This will help me better track your issues. I'll be looking to merge threads that fit the description into this one.

On all the Windows devices I have Evernote installed the edditing and changing notes (in the same notebook) is fast. Probably faster than the v6.25. BUT deleting a note takes up till 10sec. 

Opening a note in a new window is also slower than in the V6.25.

On 10/11/2020 at 3:47 PM, dbvirago said:

Best might be a stretch. I am taking a short and long term approach. Short term, just in case, in addition to my normal backup procedures, I have dumped my entire EN catalog into Nimbus, Notion and OneNote. These were all easy to do, ran overnight, and it's there if I need it.

Could you please describe shortly which ways/tools you used to dump you EvN catalog into other apps?

Currently, I'm only aware of an automatic import tool for OneNote. On Nimbus web site only manual export/import is described.

3 hours ago, Kolmir said:

Could you please describe shortly which ways/tools you used to dump you EvN catalog into other apps?

Currently, I'm only aware of a automatic import tool for OneNote. On Nimbus web page only manual export/import is described.

Nimbus has an Import from Evernote function. It is under settings on both the web and Windows client. Also, know that in OneNote, you can import individual Enex files as well as point to notebooks. This is also how Nimbus works. And, Notion has an import tool. Again, I would recommend doing it on a per Notebook basis. 

This morning, I did testing on Android. I searched for a unique word in one of my notes. From touching the icon to displayed results was 15-20s for EN, Nimbus, OneNote, and Notion. Notion has gotten much better, at least on my device. Nimbus was slightly faster each time, but by a second or two. I'm seeing the same flaky syncing in OneNote that I did when I tested it two years ago, but since I have 1Tb of storage, it will, at the very least, be a backup location.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
20 hours ago, mlidi said:

The new version 10 for windows is an EPIC failure. Looks like EN is focused these days only on Growth and Cost-savings (joint code base) and not UX and innovative features. I really hope some decent company acquires EN sometime soon.

Agreed on the epic fail. I hesitate to speculate on motives and focus. The unified code base has in fact been very expensive to implement, I would speculate (as long as we're speculating), since it was a ground-up rebuild for all platforms. But my understanding is that the point was not cost but the ability to adroitly add new features across all platforms.

So ... for gosh sakes, start adding!

• Like 2
19 hours ago, dbvirago said:

From touching the icon to displayed results was 15-20s for EN, Nimbus, OneNote, and Notion.

I've moved to Keep It, in which searching is very fast. Never more than 1-3 seconds; mostly 1.

I'm surprised that you claim that OneNote is slow in searching. In my experience search is also very fast in OneNote.

Why can they be fast? Because like Keep It, OneNote uses local storage and both are native apps. 

• Like 2

Have any of you played around in the Electron wrapper Developer Tools ( View menu -> Advanced -> Toggle Developer Tools) ?

I was playing around with different devices being emulated and found when running on ipad pro, was actually getting fast loads - images would render much faster than as running as default.    Granted, resolution changed, and other headaches present themselves - BUT - the TL;DR is that I remain "hopeful" that the Evernote team can do some code tweaks and further bug fixes to improve the performance drastically (especially when I see a slew of errors & warnings showing up in Dev. Tools view as well).   I definitely say that they (Evernote) sent out an what I would perceive as an "early beta"  of their software without properly testing.   Hang in there, use the Legacy version ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5jBqwfoo_0  )for now and watch for a few updates to (fingers crossed) fixe the awful performance issues. 

8 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

Have any of you played around in the Electron wrapper Developer Tools ( View menu -> Advanced -> Toggle Developer Tools) ?

I was playing around with different devices being emulated and found when running on ipad pro, was actually getting fast loads - images would render much faster than as running as default.    Granted, resolution changed, and other headaches present themselves - BUT - the TL;DR is that I remain "hopeful" that the Evernote team can do some code tweaks and further bug fixes to improve the performance drastically (especially when I see a slew of errors & warnings showing up in Dev. Tools view as well).   I definitely say that they (Evernote) sent out an what I would perceive as an "early beta"  of their software without properly testing.   Hang in there, use the Legacy version ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5jBqwfoo_0  )for now and watch for a few updates to (fingers crossed) fixe the awful performance issues. 

I've only used it to confirm that images pasted from the web are pasted as links not as actual embedded images.

Having been through various preview versions and 5 betas I can assure you that this is not chronologically an early beta despite the fact that it feels like one. Early versions were unusable. I can now do most of what I need to do on the current version although it is slow and takes more steps to do things.

+1 for slowness and removed features.  Those features are why I have a paid Evernote subscription.  No more if this is the future of Evernote.  I reverted back to 6.25 and will ride that as long as I can until version 10 is fully baked.  Clearly a case of "release it anyway" from management and no input from the power users of the product.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, KellyVigor said:

no input from the power users of the product.

We gave loads of input through out the preview and beta stages - they just released it anyway. I can't think of a single thing that has been raised since release that had not already been raised in the preview and beta forums. It's not a compulsory upgrade but I don't think EN appreciate that without a detailed road map of which features are coming back there are alot of people worrying about whether the product will ever meet their needs again.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Escaped to Keep It said:

I've moved to Keep It, in which searching is very fast. Never more than 1-3 seconds; mostly 1.

I'm surprised that you claim that OneNote is slow in searching. In my experience search is also very fast in OneNote.

Why can they be fast? Because like Keep It, OneNote uses local storage and both are native apps. 

No, I said the syncing was flaky. 15-20 seconds as in the Android app, including time to start the app and type in the search term. I wanted to test speed IRL, not just how quick it returned searches. All the apps, whether web, desktop or Android were equally good at searching. 

9 hours ago, Escaped to Keep It said:

Be aware that Nimbus is also an Electron app, so it also uses a lot of memory and, in my experience, will be slow in many occasions.

In my system memory use is as follows
EN6 73Mb

EN10 475Mb

Nimbus 700Mb

Notion 529MB

But I have 32MB. Chrome eats up 2-3K and Lightroom is usually open at 3-5K

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

without a detailed road map of which features are coming back there are alot of people worrying about whether the product will ever meet their needs again

This. Many of us rely on this product for our business. It was called "Evernote Business," after all. You need a prominent announcement to these users of what the future holds for them, so we can decide whether Evernote Business will work for our businesses again.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, dbvirago said:

In my system memory use is as follows
EN6 73Mb

EN10 475Mb

Nimbus 700Mb

Notion 529MB

But I have 32MB. Chrome eats up 2-3K and Lightroom is usually open at 3-5K

Problem is that Electron start with a reasonable "small" memory footage of 500-600MB. But when you start working with it several browser rendering processes are kicking in which will then quickly raise the memory usage. In my experience, with not very heavy usage, the memory usage will go up to at least 800MB - 1,2GB (totalling all related EN processes). That is an Electron problem, so you'll see that with every Electron based app like Nimbus, Postman, Visual Code, Notion, etc.

Knowing how Electron works this isn't solvable, whatever you try. Same is for overall speed experience and CPU usage. I'm experiencing very high CPU numbers, especially when the browser rendering is doing its work.

I'm guessing you made a typo, because Chrome uses at least 300-400 MB with no sites open; not just "2-3K".

If you have a lot of memory, like 32GB, then maybe you don't mind. But maybe you should also have a CPU with many cores to overcome the speed problem.

I started programming in the 80's. In those days you just made an effort to make apps as efficient as possible. In those days you had quite some powerful apps that run more than ok in 1MB of memory. Nowadays they just say: buy a more powerful computer.

Maybe I'm an old grumpy person, but I'm happy that I can still choose fast and efficient apps made by developers that do care. Those can be found mostly in the Apple eco system. That's why I did migrate to Keep It. I did have a fun ride with EN, until v10 came ....

NB: I do keep following the discussions. If Evernote would revert the Electron app and continue working on the native version, then I'll coming back. But that's a dream that will never happen.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Escaped to Keep It said:

I'm guessing you made a typo, because Chrome uses at least 300-400 MB with no sites open; not just "2-3K".

If you have a lot of memory, like 32GB, then maybe you don't mind. But maybe you should also have a CPU with many cores to overcome the speed problem.

I started programming in the 80's. In those days you just made an effort to make apps as efficient as possible. In those days you had quite some powerful apps that run more than ok in 1MB of memory. Nowadays they just say: buy a more powerful computer.

Sorry, I meant 2,000-3,000MB, not kilobytes.

Yeah, I remember programming in C, trying to squeeze every byte out of memory. My first computer at 64K of memory. I know, because I loaded all the chips myself. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, wbutchart said:

I checked my ram usage for EN10 as I was working today, it sat between 98 and 150mb chrome was about 500mb. I have never been able to create these big usages, granted my notes are mainly text and template based. 

Did you totalise all related EN processes (especially with "render" in its name)? Did you use the app or did you used EN in the Chrome browser. The app is basically the Chromium browser part plus libraries. So if you tested in the browser then the same in the app would be about 98/150 + 400.

But yes, the memory usage mostly gets high when using attachments like PDF's. 

2 hours ago, Escaped to Keep It said:

Wow, that's high. That is with more than 2 tabs open I guess .... :)

Right now, it's at 2.600 with four tabs open, including this one. Facebook is the biggest offender, but I still have over half my RAM free, even with a lot of other stuff running. 

Extreme lag when I type.  I also, was in the middle of typing a note ( a few paragraph), then the whole note just was missing a large portion of what I typed.  I then re-typed it and the same thing happened.  For the third time, I just switched to microsoft word.  I have been a paying evernote user for 9 years, now.  I have heard a lot of complaints.  I did not care.  I just though, it worked fine the way it was.  This version (so far) is totally unusable.   End of story.  I am shocked this version was released.  Total garbage, sorry to say....

• Like 2

Besides the speed that is killing me.

I am going crazy because of;

• search results defaulting to relevant - not by day last modified, did not find a way to change the default.
  • not having a folder where I can put files and have them imported into Evernote.

Really hoping these get fixed. 

I like the Evernote said they want to work on their "core" - but nothing more core than performance.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, akrasna said:

I am going crazy because of;

• search results defaulting to relevant - not by day last modified, did not find a way to change the default.

I just tested this in the latest 10.1.4, and it still defaults to "Relevance" (which should actually be more accurately named "IRRELEVANT" in my experience) after every search. Which blows my mind, and not in a good way. How hard is it to remember the last search sort and use that every time?!?!

• Like 1

Nimbus - is it any good?

This new version is so bad I am going to have to cancel my subscription and move elsewhere. 

I am using the old version of Evernote for now, I hope it continues. 
The 'upgrade' is terrible.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, t8769 said:

Nimbus - is it any good?

This new version is so bad I am going to have to cancel my subscription and move elsewhere. 

That's also Electron based, but it seems to be better.

On 10/13/2020 at 2:55 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that we are tracking your reported issues.

Additionally, I've created the Mac equivalent of this thread here:

You are "tracking" reported issues......From what beta testers are saying, they have been reporting issues all along and nothing has been done. It does no good to "track" issues unless someone takes action and fixes them. This infliction of ver10 reminds me of the Coca-Cola debacle of years back when they released the "new" Coke and ended up eating it instead of customers drinking it. And there seems to be a bit of a cavalier attitude from the EN team, flavored with a bit of arrogance that users would complain. This is going to be a disaster. Just sayin'...

• Like 3
14 hours ago, t8769 said:

Nimbus - is it any good?

I had a couple of immediate issues with it, one of which was a bit too odd for my liking:

1. Web clipper did not provide consist results and sometimes couldn't understand what I was clipping. I need a rock solid clipper and love EN's.
  2. When I tried to schedule a reminder, the calendar landed on the correct date and everything, but the DAY was wrong. It said it was Friday when it was actually Wed.  So +1 for the calendar's wishful thinking, but -10 for developers having a bug of this kind in a simple calendar function.
15 hours ago, t8769 said:

Nimbus - is it any good?

I just paid for the monthly subscription to test it out. $4.99/month...worth the risk for sure.

There are definitely features that I would love to have in Evernote. Right now there are keyboard shortcuts for a lot of the stuff I would use

image.png.f24f7e02198e04749ec6b7449e013efa.png

What I like is the separate side area for the tasks you can create. I thought it was a really good idea. 

You can add blocks to the "Above, right, left, below" which is neat and you can have different background colors for those blocks.

What is lacking from my workflow is that if you add an Excel file to the note, you cannot open it within the note, you have to download it. I keep some Excel files in Evernote that I can access from anywhere without having to use a cloud storage like DropBox etc. so Evernote is definitely better there.

Evernote has the card view, there is only list view in Nimbus. 

I was not able to open a note in a separate window, so Evernote has the advantage there.

But if you are comparing V10, the speed of Nimbus is way better (for my setup at least) since I cannot really use Evernote v10 right now with the delay.

Oh, I like the color tagging of the notes for sure, another good organization tool.

Still testing both out.

• Like 1

Interesting, how do you find using Nimbus on a PC, not as an app but as a web page, is that easy to get used to?

I don't want to leave Evernote, but 10 is so bad, so very very bad, so unbelievably bad.

I can hang on as long as I can use the old version. 

• Like 1
On 10/16/2020 at 3:54 AM, t8769 said:

But not a separate app in Windows, only a web page, which I'm not so keen on.

I'll stick with the old version of Evernote for now

Is this company trying to commit suicide?

Nimbus has a separate app, if that's what you were replying to. 

On 10/16/2020 at 9:09 AM, TK0047 said:

I just paid for the monthly subscription to test it out. $4.99/month...worth the risk for sure.

There are definitely features that I would love to have in Evernote. Right now there are keyboard shortcuts for a lot of the stuff I would use

What I like is the separate side area for the tasks you can create. I thought it was a really good idea. 

You can add blocks to the "Above, right, left, below" which is neat and you can have different background colors for those blocks.

What is lacking from my workflow is that if you add an Excel file to the note, you cannot open it within the note, you have to download it. I keep some Excel files in Evernote that I can access from anywhere without having to use a cloud storage like DropBox etc. so Evernote is definitely better there.

I was not able to open a note in a separate window, so Evernote has the advantage there.

But if you are comparing V10, the speed of Nimbus is way better (for my setup at least) since I cannot really use Evernote v10 right now with the delay.

Oh, I like the color tagging of the notes for sure, another good organization tool.

Still testing both out.

While you have your paid month, go ahead and import everything from Evernote. After that, the free version may be good enough.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:09 PM, TK0047 said:

Still testing both out.

I googling for Nimbus when I see your post. Something catch my interest when I see the feature overview. I want to know on Nimbus does the Table/Speadsheet can do some calculation , or I mean We can do the calculation like in the spreadsheet on Nimbu's Table/spreadsheet ? Thanks

On 10/13/2020 at 11:22 AM, Escaped to Keep It said:

Be aware that Nimbus is also an Electron app, so it also uses a lot of memory and, in my experience, will be slow in many occasions.

I have found this too, I have a few test notes in Numbus on an iPad Pro and each takes at least three seconds to open, even if I click one to the other and back it’s three seconds each time. I though the Evernote app was slow but it’s around a second, two when it’s playing up. And these notes I’m testing, no images, just a few sentences and some tick boxes. 

• Like 1
On 10/24/2020 at 3:52 AM, naturale said:

I want to know on Nimbus does the Table/Speadsheet can do some calculation , or I mean We can do the calculation like in the spreadsheet on Nimbu's Table/spreadsheet

It does basic calculations at the very bottom of a table. For example ↓

image.png.789a7139802b5957919764768a4f8a9c.png

I can't even begin to describe how awful the new version is. I've been a paid subscriber to Evernote since January, 2011. $5 a month.

Updates have been up and down over the years, but I've generally been able to count on the app to just work. The Version 6.25 was fast, functional, and I could have lived with it for years to come. Version 10 is ridiculously terrible. I honestly can't even troubleshoot it to count the flaws because it is too FRUSTRATING to even operate. The left panel will suddenly cover up half the panel with note names so I can't see my notes, 30 seconds to load a note, can't rotate views with hot keys any more, can't see all my tags with a hot key any longer, starting a note is buggy and in a panel rather than discrete window, can't easily change it's folder, bla bla bla. TERRIBLE update, how on Earth could this have passed QC???

So glad I'm able to revert back to a usable form of the application or I would honestly just stop using it and try to find a way to export all of my notes to something else. I wan't to KEEP Evernote, I love the program, please fix this TERRIBLE update!

Your "advertisement" says

image.png.5dcde2c2bd7cc71462a2b9ffa7f88f77.png

What a joke and false advertising.

• Like 3

I love this quote from one of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books by Douglas Adams and part of it seems particularly relevant here:

"It is very easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of [their products] by the sense of achievement you get from getting them to work at all. In other words—and this is the rock solid principle on which the whole of the Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded—their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws." (my bolding)

Features can be returned but I am increasingly worried that fundamental decisions made will mean that EN will never again be the fast responsive program we have grown to love and rely on.
  • Sad 3
15 minutes ago, Mike P said:

EN will never again be the fast responsive program we have grown to love and rely on.

That is my biggest worry. I can workaround lack of features but if it is going to be as slow as it is right now, we have a major issue (or at least I do).

Right now, I type a tag in, it takes a second or two to register. Last night, I moved a tag, the pop up says it is moved, but the tag was still in the same location for a while. I waited and waited, it finally moved. This morning, I did the same move (since I did not move all the tags with that slowness) with the remaining moves on V6.25 at work and it was instantaneous which I had taken for granted from a Windows app and NOW am very grateful for.

Similarly, I move a note to a different notebook, pop up says it is moved, but I still see the same note for a while. This is an issue with my workflow since I have a default notebook called Collection Bucket which I process and by processing I move the notes after deciding what they are, and move onto the next one. This is very fast and nice on the legacy app.

In short, the delay and the lag is very concerning to me for the future of my usage.

• Like 5
  • Level 5
10 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

That is my biggest worry. I can workaround lack of features but if it is going to be as slow as it is right now, we have a major issue (or at least I do).

Right now, I type a tag in, it takes a second or two to register. Last night, I moved a tag, the pop up says it is moved, but the tag was still in the same location for a while. I waited and waited, it finally moved. This morning, I did the same move (since I did not move all the tags with that slowness) with the remaining moves on V6.25 at work and it was instantaneous which I had taken for granted from a Windows app and NOW am very grateful for.

Similarly, I move a note to a different notebook, pop up says it is moved, but I still see the same note for a while. This is an issue with my workflow since I have a default notebook called Collection Bucket which I process and by processing I move the notes after deciding what they are, and move onto the next one. This is very fast and nice on the legacy app.

In short, the delay and the lag is very concerning to me for the future of my usage.

I agree and what really concerns me is that performance now is an issue on all platforms when switching to the new versions. I see the same lag on my Mac, under iOS and also in the Web version which always was the most direct view of the Evernote database. I'm afraid that this is a platform problem rather than a client problem and if this is not solved soon it could kill the company.

• Like 3

I have now moved over to Notion (and cancelled my reneval which luckily was in November (yearly)) - very fast response with the Web-interface.

But lots of stuff to grasp. First impression is good. I hope EN fix the performance issue so I can evaluate coming back in a while.

Thanks for the ride EN, you have been a good "partner" so I am sorry that "I have to let u go"...The "cliche"  - "It isnt you but me" though I can not say...

Take care and hope you get back to your full strenght!

PS:  - I have been an active subscriber since 2012. Take care!

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, Stuhrer said:

I see the same lag on my Mac, under iOS and also in the Web version

Which is because they're all the same web interface packed in a "native" container. If they call this a native app, then all websites are native, because they're also running in a native container (= the browser).

I'm now using Keep It on Apple's ecosystem and OneNote on Windows. Luckily I don't need to share them between Apple/Windows, so that's not a problem. Keep It is great and OneNote is surprisingly good. Both are truly native, but you'll never know what Microsoft will do one day, because all their new apps are also web based.

• Like 2

Just saw the interview with the CEO on Youtube.

Some quotes:

• EN is programmed in Javascript. Javascript is just like any other program language.
    Me: Yeah right .....
  • You can do anything in Javascript.
    Me: Yeah right .....
  • It's not because it's programmed in JS that it's a web app. EN 10 is not a web app ..... You run a web app in a browser.
    Me: and why is it that in the "native app" you can open the web tools? Javascript = web technology. And why is it that it looks exactly the same on all platforms?
  • He also thinks that users want the same UI experience on all platforms. NO: on iOS I don't want it to look like an Android thing.

Evernote is doomed with such a CEO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't use a lot of customization. I like some of the new features. I can get used to new updates. However, the slowness is driving me insane 😕 I chose Evernote over any other note-taking apps because of how quickly it loaded and how simple it was. I could just have one simple window to note down something real fast. Looking at other forum members' responses (and glad to see that I am not alone. OK maybe not glad to see the problem XD), it doesn't seem to be a problem with my computer. 

Before the update: New note ready to go instantly. 

After the update: Takes 3-4 seconds after pressing Ctrl + N (new note) to load up a new window. Followed by another 3-4 seconds of spinning. Then 1-2 seconds to load up the icons. 

I tried to deal with it but... after a while I just ended up using other apps. I hope the slowness will be fixed soon 😕 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Escaped to Keep It said:

I'm now using Keep It on Apple's ecosystem and OneNote on Windows. Luckily I don't need to share them between Apple/Windows, so that's not a problem. Keep It is great and OneNote is surprisingly good. Both are truly native, but you'll never know what Microsoft will do one day, because all their new apps are also web based.

In 2019 Microsoft announced official plans to keep and further develop ON desktop app.

Moreover, they announced that if they ever change their mind legacy app will still get 5 years of official support after "abandonment".

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/frequently-asked-questions-about-onenote-in-office-2019-and-microsoft-365-6582c7ae-2ec6-408d-8b7a-3ed71a3c2103

5 hours ago, Escaped to Keep It said:
  • He also thinks that users want the same UI experience on all platforms. NO: on iOS I don't want it to look like an Android thing.

His opinion isn't true. Users only wanted similar functionality and coherent behavior of editor between platforms -> i.e. keeping formatting, same font sizes, etc.

Evernote is doomed with such a CEO.

Sounds pessimistic, but there is a high probability that you may be right...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

First MS had burned a lot of trust before by announcing OneNote to be discontinued. They made this statement partly to reassure users to stay with ON. Second official support for an abandoned app just means security fixes if need be, and that is it. So it is a promise, but not a large one.

My concern is not ON (it is the last place I would move to if I needed to move on), it is EN. Legacy clients are still supported, so IMHO no need to rush things. Before they moved on to v10, it was clearly not viable any longer to run and maintain a native app for each and any OS and browser in the market. We all felt that there was nearly no development of new features, and if they could not be rolled out to bring the other clients to the same level. Most dev capacity probably went into just keeping the clients and web clipper working. Once you are there, it is downhill forever.

So I think the decision to move to a unified, supportable platform is correct from a strategic viewpoint. If just implementation was on the same level as strategy ...

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

So I think the decision to move to a unified, supportable platform is correct from a strategic viewpoint. If just implementation was on the same level as strategy ...

This is well said. The strategy of unifying the code base and the various applications is fine, it's the execution that is lacking.

At least, thus far. I'm still rooting for them to figure out out and knock our socks off.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Paul A. said:

This is well said. The strategy of unifying the code base and the various applications is fine, it's the execution that is lacking.

At least, thus far. I'm still rooting for them to figure out out and knock our socks off.

I think, that they only have a concept or an idea to unify apps/platform. Nothing more.

Proper strategy is about how to plan the streamlined execution (roadmaps to goal, tools, tactics, processes, etc.) and what are risks/obstacles by the way and how to avoid/mitigate them. But as Ian Small said "We don't plan"...

Therefore, their current approach is complete mess from the managerial and software engineering points of view.

On 10/15/2020 at 3:48 AM, JohnC3829 said:

Extreme lag when I type.  I also, was in the middle of typing a note ( a few paragraph), then the whole note just was missing a large portion of what I typed.  I then re-typed it and the same thing happened.  For the third time, I just switched to microsoft word.  I have been a paying evernote user for 9 years, now.  I have heard a lot of complaints.  I did not care.  I just though, it worked fine the way it was.  This version (so far) is totally unusable.   End of story.  I am shocked this version was released.  Total garbage, sorry to say....

totally agree. long time premium user here and i love(d) the program. heard the complaints and thought meh.

Evernote....get this fixed ASAP. you simply cannot release a new version that is a monumental step back from the basics. the lag time is ENTIRELY unacceptable (even writing on this cloud based forum is quicker!?). forget the loss of features..... if you can't type a note, then what is the actual point of evernote? fuming.

Fuming. I have a week off work this week. Looks like i'll be spending half that time migrating to another system. TIme and money are precious these days and i am not parting with my hard earnerd cash for a rubbish system like this. update your cloud servers in the next day or two and all will be fine, but i'm guessing that as this rolls out you will lose loyal long-term customers in droves...by the end of the week.....

12 minutes ago, sandyscott21 said:

mines been uninstalled by the new version. :(

You may find that it is still on your computer just all the shortcuts removed.  You just need to find the executable and make a new shorcut for it. Mine is n C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Apps\Evernote\Evernote.  Otherwise there is the legacy version.

The new version is unusable on my Win10 laptop. It won't actually open any of my notes. I can see the snippet of them in the notebook sidebar, and when I click one it selects it in the sidebar, and shows the notebook and last-edit date in the note pane, but it won't load the note title or content. It doesn't recognize a click in the note pane so there's no way to edit the note. It's just a blank note pane.

v 10.1.7 build 1902 public
Editor: v109.0.14125
Service: v1.20.26
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JesseO said:

The new version is unusable on my Win10 laptop. It won't actually open any of my notes. I can see the snippet of them in the notebook sidebar, and when I click one it selects it in the sidebar, and shows the notebook and last-edit date in the note pane, but it won't load the note title or content. It doesn't recognize a click in the note pane so there's no way to edit the note. It's just a blank note pane.

How long has it been since you downloaded it?  It can take sometime to download the new database.  If it has been overnight, then you have a problem.  I would suggest uninstall and then install the latest 10.2 version.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, JesseO said:

You could go back to 6.25.1 found here until EN gets it sorted
21 hours ago, William C said:

Dear Evernote Management....

WHERE ARE YOU? WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU...We DESERVE to hear from you! You need to fix this gosh awful mess. We are your PAYING customers. Step up to the plate.

They are mostly seen on YouTube blogs. Praising themselves for courage of going boldly with the new version and about the "bright future"... It looks like they lost their touch with the reality or they are doing plausible deniability...

If you contact official support, they "explain" that you pay only for accessing multiple platforms and ability to contact them. Apps are for free - take them or leave them. No remorse, no accountability about the current mess.

It seems like a good time to abandon the ship.

• Sad 2

The lack of engagement from Evernote management is shocking. The message is clear: we don't care about what our users want, we care about what we want.

Every person I know who uses Evernote has moved away or is discussing the best alternatives to Evernote. Evernote removed basically everything that made their platform great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Bryn26 said:

The lack of engagement from Evernote management is shocking.

I couldn't agree more. I just don't understand it. It has to be either intentional or a sign that they are overwhelmed and barely keeping their heads above water (i.e. simply have zero time to engage). Either way is very concerning.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

I couldn't agree more. I just don't understand it. It has to be either intentional or a sign that they are overwhelmed and barely keeping their heads above water (i.e. simply have zero time to engage). Either way is very concerning.

I think they just don't want to admit that they totally botched their platform update, and fundamentally don't understand Evernote's value proposition.

Think about it:
1. Evernote increased their pricing to exclude casual users. Their entire userbase consists of people who are damn serious about note taking and clipping.
2. They then release a major update across all platforms that removes all advanced features.

Just try and wrap your head around how clueless the CEO must be for that sequence of events to happen.

• Like 6

Same problem. I have loved and lived evernote for years and am a premium subscriber.   I can get used to things changing although not having shortcuts along the top is driving me crazy but the speed, I just want to cry in frustration honestly.  I am also having a huge amount of trouble  with all my shared folders. At present I attempting to leave all shared folders and get them re shared with me.

• Like 1