How to edit Webclip Note?

ysliew138

Idea

12 replies to this idea

It is a significant loss of functionality for me too, as I used to Clip & Annotate a lot. I would not say that it renders the Web Clipper useless, but it is certainly not as useful as it used to be. 

Please consider re-enabling this functionality.

On 10/9/2020 at 3:02 PM, Mike P said:

You have to "simplify and make editable" which is available from the pop up mini menu when you click on the grey header to the web content.

What I'm expecting is editing without format changed, same feature just as existing one in older version.

Thanks.

• Level 5

This "make editable" feature has been part of the Web client for awhile, and I've found it more useful than the old Windows desktop program in eliminating Web formatting that I don't want. But yes, if you wanted that formatting but just wanted to edit the text, the new way is less desirable.

Hi! I mostly use Evernote in Windows desktop and although new version 10 is more fancy, not being able to edit webclip (HTML) notes is a major setback for me! I'm evaluating downgrade to previous version and when it's no longer supported I will evaluate other alternatives to Evernote.

Although webclip feature is simply amazing and the best I have ever seen, I regularly need to add some text/remarks in the middle of the webclips. Usually, simplifying the webclip "kills" its formatting, images are lost and the note is nowhere as usefull as before...

If it was possible to export the webclips to allow full editing in another app (for example, Microsoft Word) it could help a lot (maybe I could edit the webclip outside of Evernote and then replace the content with the edited one without losing any formatting).

I once was a paid user hopping that editing capabilities could improve in new versions but unfortunately what I see is just the opposite.

One thing is for sure, I'm not returning to being a paid user if webclip editing is not possible. Please add it back!

Thank you, best regards!

I would also like to edit a web clip. I used to highlight sections in a clipped page, but now this is only possible together with simplify. But simplifying totally messes up the page and is not an option for me. 

Just adding another vote to the complaints here ... want to be able to edit a web clip as we could before without destroying the formatting. In particular, I would like to be able to just highlight the sections that made me want to clip the piece in the first place, so when I go back days/weeks/months later, I can zoom in to the key points.

• Like 1

This change is a significant reduction in functionality.  In the past, when WebClipper would have a bit of trouble clipping a complex page (typically with images) I could simply visit the note, delete the garbled image, and then paste in the correct image.

Now I can't.  Some observations:

• Before I could simply select text and copy.  Very useful for programming notes where I want to take code from an article and incorporate into a programming language editor.  Now this is multi-step (if it works).
  • The "simplify and make editable" function garbles stuff even worse in the situations where WebClipper has a bit of trouble.

Don't know if you have Medium access but try clipping this using "Article" in WebClipper: https://towardsdatascience.com/neural-networks-are-fundamentally-bayesian-bee9a172fad8  And BTW "Simplified article" screws up a lot of the images from this Medium post so I couldn't use it.

As you scroll down thru the clip when it gets to Evernote, some of the images are wacko - almost like they are magnified and out of focus.  Using "simplify and make editable" makes this way worse - now there are more giant out of focus images, and worse yet, there are a bunch that are tiny clips with spinning circles on them.  Try to copy and you get tiny tiny images.  Useless.

So consider this a request to revert (somehow) to the old functionality.  Or invest some serious work in "simplify and make editable" to fix a lot of bugs.  Perhaps I should try gathering up some of these problems and submit them as issues.