[resolved] I want old MAC version back - is it possible?

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

• Level 5*

I'm not ready to test the latest release, but my Mac process has been    
edit - see post Below for the Legacy version

1. Delete the app and install the required app version
    I would download the 7.14 version from the link provided in this post   
    edit: see post below about the Evernote Legacy app
  2. Since this will probably trigger a database compatibility issue
    Delete the database and it will be rebuilt from the servers (Warning - the rebuild does not include Local Notebooks)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, DTLow said:
  1. Since this will probably trigger a database compatibility issue

Delete the database and it will be rebuilt from the servers (Warning - the rebuild does not include Local Notebooks)

To clarify, "delete the database" refers to the new 10.0 installation, correct? Delete that to avoid incompatibility issues, then run the legacy 7.14 instal? (and, great warning about local notebooks). 

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Stacey said:

To clarify, "delete the database" refers to the new 10.0 installation, correct? Delete that to avoid incompatibility issues, then run the legacy 7.14 instal? (and, great warning about local notebooks). 

Confirmed - but this step may not be necessary; I would wait until I get an error message

• Like 1

Hello...

After reinstall of my Evernote on my Mac I have noticed the whole new design, which is similaer to the "browser-version" of the Evernote - I don't like it at all and I want my old mac desktop version again... I don't know how to make it? Is it possible?

Thank you... Marko

• Like 2
On 10/7/2020 at 6:08 PM, Nick L. said:

You can still download the legacy version of our apps here and have them installed side by side: 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

How do I do this if my current version is from the Mac App store?

First delete the mac app store version, then install the app from the website and then install v10 from the app store?

• Like 1

Thanks for the much needed help all of you!

What I'm specifically wondering is if it's possible to keep using 7.14 (EN for Mac) and install the new app side-by-side to see whether or not I want to start using it? Or will 7.14 (most likely?) disappear as soon as I install the new app and then I need to go back and install the Legacy App? Any reason to stick with 7.14 and not trust Legacy in the same way I trust 7.14? My iOS experience after the update has been completely awful so far so I'm very reluctant to just blindly update the desktop app on a whim - my Evernote workflow that's 10 years in the making is at stake here...

And everyone referring to the Legacy Version - my understanding is that Legacy is just an interim solution during the transition to the inevitable New Evernote, and not a more permanent alternative...? How long are you expecting Legacy to be around? 

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Tengil said:

What I'm specifically wondering is if it's possible to keep using 7.14 (EN for Mac) and install the new app side-by-side to see whether or not I want to start using it? Or will 7.14 (most likely?) disappear as soon as I install the new app and then I need to go back and install the Legacy App?

No - v10.0 overwrites v7.14

btw The legacy App is identified as v7.14.1

>>Any reason to stick with 7.14 and not trust Legacy in the same way I trust 7.14?

I'm guessing the two apps are equivalent and the Legacy version can be trusted
I'm sticking with 7.14 because my Applescripts aren't set up to reference Evernote Legacy

Also, v10.0 is a work-in-progress - I recommend not upgrading until the work is completed

• Thanks 2

Is there any suggestion that the legacy version will continue to get its own updates? What if the macOS update to Big Sur introduces some bugs, can we expect these to be fixed? Clearly it’ll be gaining no new features from now on, but if it’s continuing to get bug fixes then at least that means I can rely on it a little longer while version 10 gets refined. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, bishopblaize said:

Is there any suggestion that the legacy version will continue to get its own updates?

Evernote have said that they will not support the legacy versions.  How firm a decision that is,  only they know...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
40 minutes ago, bishopblaize said:

What if the macOS update to Big Sur introduces some bugs, can we expect these to be fixed?

I don't know ... maybe    
I'm just addressing today's problems, and using a legacy version is the my solution

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/7/2020 at 9:08 AM, Nick L. said:

You can still download the legacy version of our apps here and have them installed side by side: 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

Thanks @Nick L.
That was the best news of this entire release

Can you advise if both Legacy and v!0 are using the same local offline database

• Like 1

I've just downloaded the legacy version. No problems installing or with the databases. Everything opened as I expected.

I'm sticking with Legacy for as long as possible. The new version was too slow and unresponsive. Annotation was obliterated. Searching inside PDFs was clunky.

Sadly, a whole bunch of nope nope nope.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

EverNote should thought this trough and publish two versions in the AppStore in parallel:

1. Legacy EverNote Classic
  2. New EverNote Light (redesigned)

And support both of them, until number 2 will reach decent maturity...

It would be the most pleasant/effective for all the users. Don't you think @Nick L.?

• Like 3
  • Level 5

If you remember how things were going when EN tried to support the 5 different clients, you know that support for legacy has practically ended. I will stay with it until EN 10 is a usable option for me - and hope legacy will still run when BigSur is released.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Kolmir said:

EverNote should thought this trough and publish two versions in the AppStore in parallel:

1. Legacy EverNote Classic
  2. New EverNote Light (redesigned)

And support both of them, until number 2 will reach decent maturity...

Do we need app store versions when direct download is available? (edit: direct download only available for Mac/Windows)
Support would be nice - I dread the day the legacy version no longer functions

39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you remember how things were going when EN tried to support the 5 different clients, you know that support for legacy has practically ended. I will stay with it until EN 10 is a usable option for me - and hope legacy will still run when BigSur is released.

Supporting is a bit different than developing. By legacy support I mean critical/major and security bug fixes only, no new features. Plus a guarantee that access to data will not end without warning.

See Windows 7. MS officially ended support after a year of warnings. Nevertheless, they still issue patches if some critical security bugs are discovered in Win7. Recently they updated Win 7 with Edge browser.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Do we need app store versions when direct download is available?
Support would be nice - I dread the day the legacy version no longer functions

1. I would prefer to keep my old version of EvN without additional steps, i.e. be surprised with update to v10, remove-it, reinstall v 7 manually. (Probably I may be a bit crazy/fanatic about good UX and effectiveness... ;-))

2. In iOS you can't install things outside AppStore without Jailbreak or other tricks

• Level 5

@Kolmir Support for Windows 7 has ended. When MS does something for Win7 users, it is because it is a carry over, or they want to avoid some million zombie PCs.

Running a PC with Win7 and connected to the Internet is a very risky thing. Against modern threats, Win7 is practically defenseless.

There is no reason to continue with Win7, except maybe some very special software that will not execute under Win10 even in compatibility mode. If this is the case, I would run Win7 in a virtual machine on a Win10 PC.

With the legacy edition of EN, the main issue will probably be if or when the underlying OS changes that much that EN legacy stops executing. If one can live with what we have, this may be quite a while.

Dear team,

I've always loved your product but I cannot work with your new version anymore. Is there any way I can go back to the old version pre update?

I have massive issues with synching notes. There does not see to be a synch note button anymore and no versioning of conflicting channels. I now have discovered I have 10 sheets that have exactly the same name and I don't know which one is the source of truth. This is so unfortunate and is causing me a headache.

Also, I can't create new tabs anymore.

I don't understand why it has been changed the way you did it. I'm frustrated and need to switch if I can't go back to the old version.

Can you advice please?

Thanks,
Janis

• Shane D. changed the title to [resolved] I want old MAC version back - is it possible?
  • Shane D. featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I mistakenly installed the new version (which is not compatible with my Mac 0S --10.9.5) 

I tried downloading the legacy version, which also wasn't compatible and then found a copy of 6.1 (which is, apparently, compatible).

It told me I had to delete my database. I have VERY important work files in Evernote. Will this delete them? Also, how do I delete the database if this does not delete them.

If it does delete them, can I back them up first? And how? I'm a premium user and would appreciate any and all help. Thanks. 

I would like the option to change the default font globally as well. I HATE the limited choice in fonts the new version (10.1.7) offers. They're not even actual font choices! It's only (generic) sans-serif or serif.

The look of my notes is a major turn off now, because I mainly use Evernote for taking notes. The way the font looks is therefore very important for. I'm re-installing the old version of Evernote and will NOT get back to the latest version of Evernote for Mac until the font issue has been fixed. 

• Like 1

What a mess.  

Even the Legacy version might not work if you have an older operating system.  

Any decent coder should understand that any updated app should first do an operating system check if it a certain version OS (or newer) is required.  

If you don't have at least 10.13 (Mac), the legacy won't work.  You should try here instead...

https://filehippo.com/mac/download_evernote_for_mac/history/

On 10/7/2020 at 12:44 PM, DTLow said:

Since this will probably trigger a database compatibility issue

And how can I do it? Where do I find the local files? It used to have a shortcut hidden and in the "about evernote" page but it isn't there anymore.

You guys are making it harder to keep supporting Evernote. The new iPad version is terrible, I don't know why I updated the desktop version... 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Level 5

Each version runs its own data base. I would not run both clients at the same time, because this could cause a conflicting notes problem.

If you want to find the place in legacy, press down the opt/alt key, open the EN help menu and go to the last option "problem solving", and in the submenu to "open database folder". This will open the folder with the database in the Finder.

No idea where this is in v10, after being unforced in iOS I decided I will stick with legacy on the desktops as long as v10 is not up to the job.

And "we guys" are just other users, so we never make it hard for anybody.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Edu Tanaka said:

And how can I do it? Where do I find the local files? It used to have a shortcut hidden and in the "about evernote" page but it isn't there anymore.

Actually it turns out the Version 10 product uses a completely different local database structure   
We don't have to br concerned about database compatibility with the Legacy product

edit; The Version 10 local database can be found at /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Actually it turns out the Version 10 product uses a completely different local database structure   
We don't have to br concerned about database compatibility with the Legacy product

Ok, but just out of curiosity, how can I find the v.10 database on my computer?

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Edu Tanaka said:

Ok, but just out of curiosity, how can I find the v.10 database on my computer?

The Version 10 local database can be found at /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

And "we guys" are just other users, so we never make it hard for anybody.

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to be rude to other fellow (frustrated) users, it was meant for someone on support or product management.

Assuming someone there monitors this forum....

• Level 5

No harm done.

Maybe they monitor the forum, I mean those of them that are left over, not being suffering a severe professional depression of sorts. This here is no fun read if you put part of your lifetime into coding it.

Just hope they still have a consolidated backlog they are working down, to release what we need to continue using the product.

I can survive using it, but without legacy it would be very hard to really enjoy it, and stay productive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/15/2020 at 4:05 AM, Stoppa said:

I've just downloaded the legacy version. No problems installing or with the databases. Everything opened as I expected.

I'm sticking with Legacy for as long as possible. The new version was too slow and unresponsive. Annotation was obliterated. Searching inside PDFs was clunky.

Sadly, a whole bunch of nope nope nope.

On 11/19/2020 at 9:22 PM, PinkElephant said:

No harm done.

Maybe they monitor the forum, I mean those of them that are left over, not being suffering a severe professional depression of sorts. This here is no fun read if you put part of your lifetime into coding it.

Just hope they still have a consolidated backlog they are working down, to release what we need to continue using the product.

I can survive using it, but without legacy it would be very hard to really enjoy it, and stay productive.

@Stoppa and @PinkElephant, eventually the Legacy version will stop working, and because it is proprietary, there will not be any Open Source version that people will be able to continue maintaining.

This fact that local notebooks has been removed is a ridiculous and infuriating decision that has caused me to move away from Evernote.

Evernote is holding my personal data hostage: If I want to use it in the future, I have to pay. I can only export my data in a proprietary format.

You might want to look at using Joplin, which was designed as an open-source Evernote alternative. I strongly recommend using Open Source software, as this avoids exactly what Evernote has just done. Thankfully, Joplin can import Evernote's enex format.

https://joplinapp.org

Evernote? More like Nevernote.

Get out while you still can. Export your notes, and get them into an open source format.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 11/21/2020 at 3:33 AM, zonderkoolzuur said:

I can only export my data in a proprietary format.

I'm using the Legacy product, and backup my data using export in html format    
html is ubiquitous, not proprietary, readable by any browser app   
What export format works for you?

>>eventually the Legacy version will stop working

Yes, but the important point is the Legacy product is currently working

>>ridiculous and infuriating decision

We got the point, stop cross-posting your rants   
Your duplicate posts have been moved to Feedback - Not Happy

22 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm using the Legacy product, and backup my data using export in html format    
html is not ubiquitous, not  proprietary, readable by any browser app   

What export format works for you?

HTML is not a good solution if you need to import the notes into another application and keep building the notebook.

Specifically, DTLow, I am thinking of markdown.

>>eventually the Legacy version will stop working

Yes, but the important point is the Legacy product is currently working

You have missed the point, DTLow. It does not matter if Legacy is currently working or not—that does nothing to ensure my notes are available long-term.

For those looking to escape, Evernote's ecosystem, https://notable.app is another alternative. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 1:33 PM, zonderkoolzuur said:

Get out while you still can. Export your notes, and get them into an open source format.

Well, I installed Legacy Evernote 7.14 as offered in the help section. Guess what? File-Export does not work. You select notes, you click the menu Export... and nothing happens. Using EvernoteLegacy_RELEASE_7.14.1_458325.zip

I then restored Evernote from my Time machine. Version Evernote_RELEASE_7.14_458244.zip. File-Export does work there.

Coincidence? Sorry, I don't believe that.

Right now I am so angry at this company, that I am even considering a Micro$oft product. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No, no coincidence. Just an issue (unknown ...) of your EN legacy install. I just tried the export (just on 3 notes, randomly selected from the notes view). MacOS 11.0.1, EN Legacy. This is the result:

636870517_Bildschirmfoto2020-12-07um10_37_55.png.824170aaa2d6959cb14eb7afc28199f6.png

Conclusion: Fix your installation: Make sure it has got all the necessary rights in the MacOS settings. Go to Security, Tab Privacy, review all sections for EN legacy, check them if unchecked. If this won't help, maybe by uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, nspirov said:

Well, I installed Legacy Evernote 7.14 as offered in the help section. Guess what? File-Export does not work. You select notes, you click the menu Export... and nothing happens. Using EvernoteLegacy_RELEASE_7.14.1_458325.zip

Export works for me; used in my my data backups - daily incremental and weekly full

I got this email about the new version and installed.

How I regret!!

Still no syntax highlight for code blocks, no way to lock a note, nothing new, just some awful design changes that made the app sluggish!

Not only that but it messed the line breaks on ALL My notes (double line breaks on all of them).

I need to use the old version back and had to install this Legacy version now that Evernote and DTLow keeps linking and even though it resembles the version I was using, it has this awful grey icon and my notes are still messed up with the double line breaks introduced by the new version. It set me 1 hour back and destroyed my day's productivity having to deal with that. Evernote team clearly doesn't think about the user experience. What a regret!

• Like 1

This update has rendered everything we use Evernote for as a business absolutely useless, this is literally the last straw after years of workarounds after every update - does anyone have any good alternative software solutions?  I also need to migrate about 20,000 notes so a new solution needs to have that functionality

• Level 5*
Just now, number7 said:

This update has rendered everything we use Evernote for as a business absolutely useless, this is literally the last straw after years of workarounds after every update - does anyone have any good alternative software solutions?  I also need to migrate about 20,000 notes so a new solution needs to have that functionality

Legacy app?  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

16 hours ago, number7 said:

Joplin (OPEN SOURCE): https://joplinapp.org

There are other alternatives, like Notable, however I would strongly recommend using open-source software to avoid exactly the problems Evernote has just created.

On 12/9/2020 at 10:04 AM, tbernardi said:

I got this email about the new version and installed.

How I regret!!

Still no syntax highlight for code blocks, no way to lock a note, nothing new, just some awful design changes that made the app sluggish!

Not only that but it messed the line breaks on ALL My notes (double line breaks on all of them).

I need to use the old version back and had to install this Legacy version now that Evernote and DTLow keeps linking and even though it resembles the version I was using, it has this awful grey icon and my notes are still messed up with the double line breaks introduced by the new version. It set me 1 hour back and destroyed my day's productivity having to deal with that. Evernote team clearly doesn't think about the user experience. What a regret!

I know your pain. I just spent two full weeks manually transferring every note across to another app and I am furious about it. Thanks, Evernote!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, zonderkoolzuur said:

I just spent two full weeks manually transferring every note across to another app

While I agree with you that open-source software is often very good,  I haven't found that Joplin works all that well for me.  That,  and your comment above,  is keeping me to the uncertain shelter of the old legacy apps for the time being at least.  I'll cross that bridge if and when I get to it.

26 minutes ago, gazumped said:

While I agree with you that open-source software is often very good,  I haven't found that Joplin works all that well for me.  That,  and your comment above,  is keeping me to the uncertain shelter of the old legacy apps for the time being at least.  I'll cross that bridge if and when I get to it.

I did not end up moving to Joplin in the end, I decided to move to Zotero. I used Evernote as a reference manager (which was a good idea over a decade ago principally for the reason that Zotero didn't do what I needed it to do with regard to LaTeX and BibLaTeX, so I decided to do citations manually) , but things have come a long way since then.

• Like 1
On 10/9/2020 at 9:32 AM, Parkaceed said:

How do I do this if my current version is from the Mac App store?

First delete the mac app store version, then install the app from the website and then install v10 from the app store?

I due Evernote on iphone, iPad and Mac. But the legacy version is only for the Mac. Any idea what you can do for my other devices?

This thread is a life-saver for our entire company workforce and school system of many hundreds of users. I rarely comment on Evernote message boards because generally speaking the software works as intended and has been consistent in quality for years. Somehow, Evernote 10 is completely unusable and inoperable. 

I won't go into details as it's clear from this thread - apart from it being a slow/sluggish, incompatible, lack of keyboard shortcut, and slashed essential feature-set version - all developed over years of customer research and discovery (ie. listening to your fanbase), that I am at a loss for words at how this release came into existence to be quite frank. 

I am thankful for this legacy release being able to run off the same database without requiring an entire rework or overhaul of our workflows. 

I am usually an advocate of updates and advancement in UI/UX, functionally, etc. However, EN 10 fails on all accounts as voted by our many users. As I am sure all of your paying longtime power users will attest, please revert back to the power, robustness, feature packed, speed, efficiency, and reliability of EN 7. 

Thank you,

Long time user and EN fan

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

As a long-time user, 

The v10 is the worst version. I cannot understand developers' theme on the new version. Killing the most valuable functions and restrict the most favorable options of the previous version. I agree with the beauty of simplicity, but cutting off the features is not simplifying the app. It is terminating the application. 

I cannot find just one reason why I stick to the Evernote. 

It was the best before, but now it is worse than its alternatives. 

It is time to migrate to the alternatives. 

Don't blame me that I betray the Evernote. You betray your customers. Shame!

• Like 1

Daniel, what is your best alternative.   

(v10 is not working for me.   Trying to scan and "merge" notes is not working.   I scanned a bunch of paper in and now have to re-do because Evernote didn't merge the notes.)

• Level 5*
On 12/29/2020 at 11:48 AM, Daniel2341 said:

It is time to migrate to the alternatives. 

On 1/2/2021 at 3:10 PM, scottvb said:

Daniel, what is your best alternative.   

The Evernote Legacy product continues to work well for me

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Am totally stranded now. Opened a support ticket re 10.x regarding the elephant not appearing on mac menu bar unless app was running, was told to install legacy version but that grey elephant requires OS beyond Sierra that I am using. So then was sent another legacy 7.x build with green icon but that one couldn't successfully migrate the database.. so then deleted both versions and restarted, reinstalled new one, it took a long time to draw anything (as it always seemed to do..) so i quit it, deleted it, and reinstalled the legacy one again and still got the data migration error. I went into terminal and lots of folders etc there so didn't dare touch them, I am just so mad now, I'd like to get ANY version running that works so I can resume working.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 10/10/2020 at 1:27 PM, DTLow said:

No - v10.0 overwrites v7.14

btw The legacy App is identified as v7.14.1

>>Any reason to stick with 7.14 and not trust Legacy in the same way I trust 7.14?

I'm guessing the two apps are equivalent and the Legacy version can be trusted
I'm sticking with 7.14 because my Applescripts aren't set up to reference Evernote Legacy

Also, v10.0 is a work-in-progress - I recommend not upgrading until the work is completed

Where can I find a copy of v7.14 (assuming that I will not need v10.0 side by side)?  I don't want the grey Elephant Legacy v7.14.1.

The below link does not has to 7.14.

https://filehippo.com/mac/download_evernote_for_mac/history/

• 1 month later...

Please help - currently running Mac version 10.10.5 with dual monitors. When open, Evernotes window now defaults to fullscreen only without an option to minimize (Command +M doesn't help) and with the menu auto-hidden.  I I've been a prolific Evernotes user since 2012 but cannot multitask and access notes at a moment's notice when clients call as I've been doing forever. I really don't want to switch to another notes platform as I have tons of content stored and organized already. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!

3 hours ago, Katalysta Marketing said:

Please help - currently running Mac version 10.10.5 with dual monitors. When open, Evernotes window now defaults to fullscreen only without an option to minimize (Command +M doesn't help) and with the menu auto-hidden.  I I've been a prolific Evernotes user since 2012 but cannot multitask and access notes at a moment's notice when clients call as I've been doing forever. I really don't want to switch to another notes platform as I have tons of content stored and organized already. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!

Cmd-Ctrl-F to get in or out of full screen mode, or move the mouse to the top-left to expose the menubar, then click the green icon. Does that help?

• 4 weeks later...

The only reason I use Evernote is so I can have synced content on my Android phone and windows computer.  New Evernote?  Really really really hate it. 

So, I see I can switch back to Legacy on my computer.  But, what about Android?  Apparently I have to live with this crappy version there?  Why would I want to endure having to work with this horrible app on my phone? 

Is it possible to switch back to Legacy on my phone?  I really hate the idea of having to migrate.  But, honestly, if I were a new user considering Evernote, I'd see this Android version and move on to a different solution.  Can we PLEASE have a legacy version for Android / IOS. 

• Level 5

You can try to find an older version of the Android app on the internet and install it. There are descriptions in the forum how to do it.

For iOS I really don’t see any reason to go back - v10 is superior by all means to the prior iOS versions. The only thing I am currently still missing is the Apple Watch App  - hardly a reason to downgrade. Apart from this aspect there is no way back on iOS.

I hate the new version of evernote.  I can't pick where I can put notes for the program to import them as well as from multiple locations.  Also, my notes all are missing the pdf extension.  I'm going to try to revert to version 6.25.  Please let us know when you've fixed version 10.