We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×
Stacey

ANSWERED I want old MAC version back - is it possible?

Can you please clarify:

If users instal the new Mac or Windows client, can they either run them parallel, or roll back to version 7.14 if they want? If so, how would they do this? Thank you.

• Like 3

I'm not ready to test the latest release, but my Mac process has been    
edit - see post Below for the Legacy version

1. Delete the app and install the required app version
    I would download the 7.14 version from the link provided in this post   
    edit: see post below about the Evernote Legacy app
  2. Since this will probably trigger a database compatibility issue
    Delete the database and it will be rebuilt from the servers (Warning - the rebuild does not include Local Notebooks)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:
  1. Since this will probably trigger a database compatibility issue

Delete the database and it will be rebuilt from the servers (Warning - the rebuild does not include Local Notebooks)

To clarify, "delete the database" refers to the new 10.0 installation, correct? Delete that to avoid incompatibility issues, then run the legacy 7.14 instal? (and, great warning about local notebooks). 

18 minutes ago, Stacey said:

To clarify, "delete the database" refers to the new 10.0 installation, correct? Delete that to avoid incompatibility issues, then run the legacy 7.14 instal? (and, great warning about local notebooks). 

Confirmed - but this step may not be necessary; I would wait until I get an error message

• Like 1

Hello...

After reinstall of my Evernote on my Mac I have noticed the whole new design, which is similaer to the "browser-version" of the Evernote - I don't like it at all and I want my old mac desktop version again... I don't know how to make it? Is it possible?

Thank you... Marko

On 10/7/2020 at 6:08 PM, Nick L. said:

You can still download the legacy version of our apps here and have them installed side by side: 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

How do I do this if my current version is from the Mac App store?

First delete the mac app store version, then install the app from the website and then install v10 from the app store?

In general you should use the app from the web site. The AppStore version runs in a Sandbox.

This means installing both apps from the Evernote.com web site, following the advise in the help article already posted.

I really need previous version - I have searched but not have found it... Thanx in advance for help... Marko

Thanks for the much needed help all of you!

What I'm specifically wondering is if it's possible to keep using 7.14 (EN for Mac) and install the new app side-by-side to see whether or not I want to start using it? Or will 7.14 (most likely?) disappear as soon as I install the new app and then I need to go back and install the Legacy App? Any reason to stick with 7.14 and not trust Legacy in the same way I trust 7.14? My iOS experience after the update has been completely awful so far so I'm very reluctant to just blindly update the desktop app on a whim - my Evernote workflow that's 10 years in the making is at stake here...

And everyone referring to the Legacy Version - my understanding is that Legacy is just an interim solution during the transition to the inevitable New Evernote, and not a more permanent alternative...? How long are you expecting Legacy to be around? 

22 minutes ago, Tengil said:

What I'm specifically wondering is if it's possible to keep using 7.14 (EN for Mac) and install the new app side-by-side to see whether or not I want to start using it? Or will 7.14 (most likely?) disappear as soon as I install the new app and then I need to go back and install the Legacy App?

No - v10.0 overwrites v7.14

btw The legacy App is identified as v7.14.1

>>Any reason to stick with 7.14 and not trust Legacy in the same way I trust 7.14?

I'm guessing the two apps are equivalent and the Legacy version can be trusted
I'm sticking with 7.14 because my Applescripts aren't set up to reference Evernote Legacy

Also, v10.0 is a work-in-progress - I recommend not upgrading until the work is completed

• Thanks 1

It's hard to believe that Evernote 10 lacks support for the macOS Share menu. I'm reinstalling version 7.14. 

Is there any suggestion that the legacy version will continue to get its own updates? What if the macOS update to Big Sur introduces some bugs, can we expect these to be fixed? Clearly it’ll be gaining no new features from now on, but if it’s continuing to get bug fixes then at least that means I can rely on it a little longer while version 10 gets refined. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bishopblaize said:

Is there any suggestion that the legacy version will continue to get its own updates?

Evernote have said that they will not support the legacy versions.  How firm a decision that is,  only they know...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bishopblaize said:

What if the macOS update to Big Sur introduces some bugs, can we expect these to be fixed?

I don't know ... maybe    
I'm just addressing today's problems, and using a legacy version is the my solution

On 10/7/2020 at 9:08 AM, Nick L. said:

You can still download the legacy version of our apps here and have them installed side by side: 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

Thanks @Nick L.
That was the best news of this entire release

Can you advise if both Legacy and v!0 are using the same local offline database

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Thanks @Nick L.
That was the best news of this entire release

Can you advise if both Legacy and v!0 are using the same local offline database

They use different databases

• Thanks 1

I've just downloaded the legacy version. No problems installing or with the databases. Everything opened as I expected.

I'm sticking with Legacy for as long as possible. The new version was too slow and unresponsive. Annotation was obliterated. Searching inside PDFs was clunky.

Sadly, a whole bunch of nope nope nope.

EverNote should thought this trough and publish two versions in the AppStore in parallel:

1. Legacy EverNote Classic
  2. New EverNote Light (redesigned)

And support both of them, until number 2 will reach decent maturity...

It would be the most pleasant/effective for all the users. Don't you think @Nick L.?

If you remember how things were going when EN tried to support the 5 different clients, you know that support for legacy has practically ended. I will stay with it until EN 10 is a usable option for me - and hope legacy will still run when BigSur is released.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kolmir said:

EverNote should thought this trough and publish two versions in the AppStore in parallel:

1. Legacy EverNote Classic
  2. New EverNote Light (redesigned)

And support both of them, until number 2 will reach decent maturity...

Do we need app store versions when direct download is available? (edit: direct download only available for Mac/Windows)
Support would be nice - I dread the day the legacy version no longer functions

39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you remember how things were going when EN tried to support the 5 different clients, you know that support for legacy has practically ended. I will stay with it until EN 10 is a usable option for me - and hope legacy will still run when BigSur is released.

Supporting is a bit different than developing. By legacy support I mean critical/major and security bug fixes only, no new features. Plus a guarantee that access to data will not end without warning.

See Windows 7. MS officially ended support after a year of warnings. Nevertheless, they still issue patches if some critical security bugs are discovered in Win7. Recently they updated Win 7 with Edge browser.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Do we need app store versions when direct download is available?
Support would be nice - I dread the day the legacy version no longer functions

1. I would prefer to keep my old version of EvN without additional steps, i.e. be surprised with update to v10, remove-it, reinstall v 7 manually. (Probably I may be a bit crazy/fanatic about good UX and effectiveness... ;-))

2. In iOS you can't install things outside AppStore without Jailbreak or other tricks

With a Mac, both installs are possible. 

I always advise to use the direct install, not the AppStore install. It is the same code, but from the AppStore it runs in a sandbox mode. This can create problems.

@Kolmir Support for Windows 7 has ended. When MS does something for Win7 users, it is because it is a carry over, or they want to avoid some million zombie PCs.

Running a PC with Win7 and connected to the Internet is a very risky thing. Against modern threats, Win7 is practically defenseless.

There is no reason to continue with Win7, except maybe some very special software that will not execute under Win10 even in compatibility mode. If this is the case, I would run Win7 in a virtual machine on a Win10 PC.

With the legacy edition of EN, the main issue will probably be if or when the underlying OS changes that much that EN legacy stops executing. If one can live with what we have, this may be quite a while.