[Feature Released in Version 10.6] Restore Share Notes via Email

WJayB

Idea

33 replies to this idea

PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS CORE FEATURE TO BE BROUGHT BACK

This is a core feature that is no longer available in V10 (along with many other "core" features that have been deprecated in V10).   This is different that the "Share" link feature, and is critical for doing simple things like emailing a copy of your note to participants  in a meeting. 

I logged a call with Evernote support thinking this feature might come be coming again in a future release, but it may not be! (Wow - its been around for years).  Here is the response I received from support:

"Regarding the email a note feature, We haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of  features we are still considering. Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you. I will share this information with our product team."

PLEASE VOTE TO KEEP THIS FEATURE!

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, DMiddleton said:
2 hours ago, WJayB said:

Is it possible to still share a note by email? I can't seem to find this anymore.

No, I believe this function was removed.

at least in contrast to the older version there isn't any longer a keyboard shortcut available for the action "Email note" in the newer version...
(according to the allready ment
ioned list available at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004807)

I have always been relectant to share notes by email because it means giving a third party (Evernote) the email address of my contact.  I wonder whether with GDPR and the like this is why EN have discontinued this function.

However it should still be possible to send a copy of the note from your own email system in a integrated "share by email" type approach. Currently you can not do this and you cannot even copy and paste an entire note into an email because images are not copied.

• Like 1

We need at least share via PDF on all platforms as soon as possible.  Ideally word as well but PDF at minimum.  The shared element of the note is not the same as sending an attachment which is only intended to be read and perhaps held onto.  Other companies offer these and I hope, and expect, these are high on the list for Evernote.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, wbutchart said:

We need at least share via PDF on all platforms as soon as possible. 

I may have misunderstood what you mean but you can always print a note to pdf and then email it. You will obviously need to have the appropriate software installed on your PC to allow you to do this.

Will you later restore the capability to send notes by email?  I used to share notes with non-Evernote users (e.g., shopping lists, travel information, and so forth) by sending them an email. 

The previous version would allow me to share using my own email program, embedding the note in the email.  This was really handy to recipients using their mobiles since they didn't have to open an attachment; printing as a pdf attachment is the only work around I can find so far.

• Like 1

Also might clinch it for me.  I began using Evernote in its first iteration.  It was literally my second brain until about 2 years ago.  The lack of the ability to e-mail a note is the straw that has me for the first time in well over a decade googling "alternative to Evernote."

I have been a Premium user since 2008.  Unfortunately, this is the culmination of many, many months of disappointment.  

• Like 1

Personally I have no desire to share a contact's email address with Evernote with or without their permission. However there should be the ability to send a note from your own email system. Currently you cannot even reliably copy and paste a note into an email because images aren't copied.

• Level 5*
On 10/11/2020 at 9:39 AM, hmsgo said:

"Regarding the email a note feature, We haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of  features we are still considering. Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you. I will share this information with our product team."

Implies a real crisp road map when development started.  No clue.  Geez.

• Like 1
On 10/8/2020 at 12:45 PM, Mike P said:

I have always been relectant to share notes by email because it means giving a third party (Evernote) the email address of my contact.  I wonder whether with GDPR and the like this is why EN have discontinued this function.

However it should still be possible to send a copy of the note from your own email system in a integrated "share by email" type approach. Currently you can not do this and you cannot even copy and paste an entire note into an email because images are not copied.

Any kind of sharing via evernote's internal systems means making the email address of my coworker available for evernote. As note collaboration still is an essential part of the program, I sincerely doubt that GDPR has anything to do with the decision to drop share by email. To the contrary, Evernote has slowly and steadlily worked towards user lock-in, preferring to force also those who receive notes to become evernote users. I find this quite rude, and so does my coworkers. So for me, after 12+ years as a faithful customer, I have started to look for alternative solutions.

On 10/11/2020 at 5:19 PM, Mike P said:

Personally I have no desire to share a contact's email address with Evernote with or without their permission. However there should be the ability to send a note from your own email system. Currently you cannot even reliably copy and paste a note into an email because images aren't copied.

This would be an acceptable solution for those of us who rely on being able to share info stored in evernote.

4 minutes ago, wizaaard said:

Any kind of sharing via evernote's internal systems means making the email address of my coworker available for evernote.

If you use the share system does the other user need to have an EN account? If they do then EN already has their email address. If they don't then you are absolutely right. I've only really shared notebooks with other EN users or made non-confidential notes available to anybody with the link (and then you don't need an EN a/c)

1 minute ago, Mike P said:

If you use the share system does the other user need to have an EN account? If they do then EN already has their email address. If they don't then you are absolutely right. I've only really shared notebooks with other EN users or made non-confidential notes available to anybody with the link (and then you don't need an EN a/c)

As the resident PowerUser (tm), I have been the only evernote user among my coworkers up through the years. So yes, sharing via email has been the only way to use evernote as a cooperation tool with ppl who neither have an evernote acc, nor wish to get one.

• Like 1

So how does everyone do this today?   All I can figure out is to print to pdf and then email the PDF which is very clumbsy.  Any other ideas appreciated.   I've been on the fence about moving everything to Keep awaiting the new version simply because sharing was is so much easier in KEEP.  Now that this feature has gotten worse in the new evernote, I'm giving it serious thought.    I have thousands of notes in my evernote and the pain of moving them will be significant.   

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Phi87 said:

So how does everyone do this today? 

I rarely use the email feature but copy/paste should work   
On the plus side, it allows us to use  our  own email client 

This is what I have been doing as well.  I really thought they would take it to the next level and create an online editor that lets someone share and edit the note but not require you to sign into evernote in a traditional way.    This is kind of a big deal because it makes we evernote users are an island.   

In addition to regular polling, I want you to restore the ability to manually trigger a sync and I also want to know the *global* status of synchronization - I have a premium account and have EN on probably 10 devices - so I want to know when the version I am using has received a sync, and I want to be able to "push" a sync from one device to the web, and I need to be able to then go to another device and trigger a sync THEN - not later - and know when the sync is done so that I can rapidly access the note.

I know I am not alone in this need. Please fix this NOW!!

This is an issue in the new version for certain - there's no sync capability in the Windows app. And along with this, I've had a couple duplicate notes now across other devices because of this missing in Windows. Needs to ALWAYS be present, esp. on Windows/Mac desktop applications especially if this would prevent dup notes.