(Archived) Request for: Click to type or draw anywhere

kelkington

Idea

Before I start I must make it clear that I do know of and have tried PDFPen but it really isn't a very convenient solution for my requirements.

1st Request: I really, really sorely miss the ability to click to type anywhere on the page, including on top of pdfs and images. I am constantly adding notes to pdf documents and used to do so with ease using Microsoft Office Onenote for Windows.

I am currently using VMWare Fusion to run Onenote within the mac environment but this method really kills the battery life of my macbook.

2nd Request: Less urgent for my purposes, is the ability to draw (lines, arrows, freehand) anywhere on the page. I could really do with the ability to highlight/underline blocks of text within pdfs.

I look forward to hearing your views on the subject.

Kind regards,

kelkington

8 replies to this idea

I have no idea regarding number 1, but as for number 2:

You can do that in Preview. Right-click the PDF, choose Open With, then choose Preview. Use the built-in tools to annotate the PDF. That doesn't solve the drawing lines part (I don't think), but it will help with basic annotating.

1st Request: I really, really sorely miss the ability to click to type anywhere on the page, including on top of pdfs and images. I am constantly adding notes to pdf documents and used to do so with ease using Microsoft Office Onenote for Windows.

EN's focus is to work reliably & as similarly as possible on many platforms. I doubt this feature will be integrated. There's a reason OneNote isn't on a multitude of OSs. :) (IOW, just b/c something works on Windows doesn't mean it's compatible with Mac, Android, iOS, WinMobile, etc.)

EN's focus is to work reliably & as similarly as possible on many platforms. I doubt this feature will be integrated. There's a reason OneNote isn't on a multitude of OSs.

Entirely true. Microsoft's dev teams have it relatively easy. Have to admit, though, that I miss Onenote's editing facilities. Boy, wouldn't it be a coup if the EN guys could figure out a cross-platform way of doing something similar? But it would unfair to expect such a thing ..

Entirely true. Microsoft's dev teams have it relatively easy. Have to admit, though, that I miss Onenote's editing facilities. Boy, wouldn't it be a coup if the EN guys could figure out a cross-platform way of doing something similar? But it would unfair to expect such a thing ..

Yes, it would be neat if EN figured out how to do such a thing. Yes, it's probably unfair to expect it. :)

EN's focus is to work reliably & as similarly as possible on many platforms. I doubt this feature will be integrated. There's a reason OneNote isn't on a multitude of OSs. :) (IOW, just b/c something works on Windows doesn't mean it's compatible with Mac, Android, iOS, WinMobile, etc.)

I am totally with you kelkington. In fact I just started my own thread on this very topic and was referred here! Anyhow, this is one of the main strengths of OneNote and one of the main weaknesses of Evernote, in my opinion. Being limited to linear formatting is so frustrating after being exposed to the blank canvas concept!

Please do whatever it takes to make this happen in Evernote!

I am totally with you kelkington. In fact I just started my own thread on this very topic and was referred here! Anyhow, this is one of the main strengths of OneNote and one of the main weaknesses of Evernote, in my opinion. Being limited to linear formatting is so frustrating after being exposed to the blank canvas concept!

Please do whatever it takes to make this happen in Evernote!

Errr... I actually love the linear formatting system of Evernote. :D

I used Evernote, I loved it but then I went back to OneNote. Simply because of it's non-linear editing capabilities. It is really great when one can create multiple lists and text fields and it is very frustrating when this feature is taken away from you. So please please, pretty please, you don't need to make it cross-platform (android OneNote takes all elements and reorder them for mobile screen as well, you don't need all elements ordered same way on PC/Mac and mobile), but add this feature, it really is Evernote's greatest weakness.

Archived