Date format

pemaje

One is able to add date to Evernote text by pressing Shift + Alt + D.

• Evernote 6 = 8.10.2020 14:35 (my windows date format since I'm European)
  • Evernote beta = October 8, 2020

I really do not that you now forcefully push the American format into the notes.
Now that Shift + Alt + D is useless to me.

Could you please fix it back to the way it used to be?

• Like 5

Firstly, I do agree that the date and time should be configurable to one's preference as opposed to being automatically determined based on browser configuration.
Secondly, I would argue for the combined date/time in the shortcut is preferable to separating them. 
Thank you!

On 10/8/2020 at 10:52 PM, pemaje said:

One is able to add date to Evernote text by pressing Shift + Alt + D.

• Evernote 6 = 8.10.2020 14:35 (my windows date format since I'm European)
  • Evernote beta = October 8, 2020

I really do not that you now forcefully push the American format into the notes.
Now that Shift + Alt + D is useless to me.

Could you please fix it back to the way it used to be?

According to Evernote help https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004807-Keyboard-shortcuts-in-Evernote-for-Windows  there should be no change. 🤨
Find: "Insert date and time".

• 2 months later...

Just installed version 10.5 and having the same problem.

Note: It is not that Shift + Alt + D does not work.  It works, but it puts the date in US format, not the OS format as it used to, and there is no option that I can find to change that.

I also see that the date format in the reminders pane is also all screwed up.

I installed the Legacy version and the issue is fixed.  If this does not get fixed in the official release, I will cancel my sub.

If there is somewhere else I need to post this to get the Dev's attention, please post it here so I can go there.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I just stumbled upon the shortcut to insert the date.  While it works OK for me (I live in the US), I can sympathize with the others in here.  I personally would like this to be a configurable setting.  Ideally the options would include the sort-able format (YYYY-MM-DDm my favorite), along with other common formats.  And lastly, an OS default option that pulls from what the computer is using, if available.

P.S. The newer versions of Evernote seem like a big improvement for me.  The previous versions seemed way too slow and bloated.  I only care about this date format now because I'm using Evernote more.  So great job devs!

• 3 months later...

Hi again.  I received an email about the new release, however I am still on Legacy because of this issue.

Has it been addressed, so I can move on to the new version?

Is there a bugs list on GitHub or similar where I can report this and/or follow if this has been attended too?

Thanks

J

• Level 5*
On 8/12/2021 at 9:13 AM, Jannes said:

Hi again.  I received an email about the new release, however I am still on Legacy because of this issue.

Has it been addressed, so I can move on to the new version?

Is there a bugs list on GitHub or similar where I can report this and/or follow if this has been attended too?

Thanks

J

Evernote has never been very configurable in the date formatting department.  No matter what they add, someone will always want something else or something different.  It is best to use something like autohotkey to configure exactly what you want.

• Level 5

EN should do what other apps do: Use the setting from the computer account, and be done. I know people running on an US account while on the job, switching to an European layout (and another physical keyboard) when on their private user.

Wild guessing by IP or app specific settings is not necessary - just take the information the user already provides.

It is the same with phone numbers: When imported by EN from a business card, the US format is used. It makes the numbers very hard to read if they are not from the US. One of the reasons I prefer another business card scanner: It picks the country from the card (or asks if not sure), and formats everything as it is the standard for that country. Improves the OCR quality as well.

For me stuff like that are bugs, because they ignore international standards in user interfaces, including the way non digital communication is predefined. There are a number of standards on the world, to cover them is not really rocket science. Would take the intern a week with Dr.Google to find them all, and prepare a table for the devs to implement.

For a starter the languages officially supported by the app would do.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Evernote has never been very configurable in the date formatting department.  No matter what they add, someone will always want something else or something different.  It is best to use something like autohotkey to configure exactly what you want.

Before August 2020 the default was to use whatever I configured on my Windows OS.  That is all I, and the OP in this thread, need and ask for.

If that is already there, why take it away?

I just received a response on my support ticket.  It has not been updated yet.  My request has been logged...

Edited by Jannes
To add response to support ticket.
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Jannes said:

Before August 2020 the default was to use whatever I configured on my Windows OS.  That is all I, and the OP in this thread, need and ask for.

If that is already there, why take it away?

That is a valid request and makes sense.  The standard OS date config never worked for me and I’ve always used autohotkey, that’s why I mentioned it.

As I understand it, v10 was a complete rewrite, so it might be they just haven’t added it back in yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Did anybody file a bug or support ticket for this yet? I have all my notes using the original short date format and now we have this annoying long format, which makes it cluttered and also hard to parse. I tried redefining the long date format in Mac OS, but to no avail. I was able to file a support ticket (despite their best attempts to point me to useless and dead articles). Let's see what they say...

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 2/24/2022 at 11:04 PM, sfviking said:

Did anybody file a bug or support ticket for this yet? I have all my notes using the original short date format and now we have this annoying long format, which makes it cluttered and also hard to parse. I tried redefining the long date format in Mac OS, but to no avail. I was able to file a support ticket (despite their best attempts to point me to useless and dead articles). Let's see what they say...

@sfviking did your support ticket get a response?

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5

The original thread was about not following system settings. This was changed, the date now is as set in system settings.

Then it was hijacked and talking about long vs. short format. We now have 2 topics in the same thread.

What was your ticket about ?

57 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The original thread was about not following system settings. This was changed, the date now is as set in system settings.

Indeed? If this is the case, it is indeed good news, and I will have to go download the newest version of the app. Around what time did they change (back) to the system settings?

I am still using the Legacy version because the 'new' version I got around the end of 2021 (with the wrong date format) was not fit for purpose.  I have not recently updated to the newest version.

My ticket referred to the original issue, as posted to by the OP.

• 1 year later...

Must revive an old thread originally from 2020, since this has not been solved:
Just tried to insert a Date in V10 but unfortunately the format (Germany) is not correct and not configurable. Any options that I did not find? 

As it is it is useless, since correcting the date takes more time than entering it manually.
cmd-shift-D inserts 9 April 2024 which is incorrect (9. April 2024 would be correct). 

I would like to have it in another format: 2024-04-09 in order to be able to sort by date.

Any tips?