[Answered] Outlook Clipper in new Windows version gone?

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

I received an email with information on the latest, greatest Evernote windows app.

Included was a list of new features, and what got left out:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047889234-What-s-new-in-Evernote-for-Windows

My issue is leaving out the Clipper in Outlook. It wasn't my favorite tool, but it served it's purpose.

Does this mean no more clipping emails??

Anyone have a good way to get Outlook emails into Evernote?

thx,

I presume this is for Outlook 365? - the online version (where you get to pay M$OFT more every month.)

I'm currently on Outlook 2010 (M$ gets no more money). Thinking of either upgrading to 2019, or getting off Outlook completely - maybe to Thunderbird.

Does Evernote clipping work in either of these environments?

thx,

• Level 5*

Hi.  Options are...

Subscribers get an Evernote email address to which you can forward emails - pro tip: send or BCC emails to yourself and (if you can in your email client) set up a Rule to forward all emails you receive that way to your account email address.  That way you get a full copy of the original email - the other way you just get the body of the message.

If you have an email service that has a webmail option - just use the normal browser clipper to grab the mail.

Or you could install the legacy version of Evernote and stick to 6.25 as well as (or instead of) the new kid on the block.  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

In various situations it's also possible to copy and paste content into a note.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

This is rather disappointing.

Outlook is a widely used application, and in most professional settings, we still have Office installed locally, not Outlook 365. Having the Add-In was a huge time saver to clip emails into Evernote, as well as to tag them within the Add-In, and see right away how it will end up in Evernote.

I realize we can email them to our Premium account, but to simply make the decision to deprecate such a popular feature really should have been better thought out when so many users relied on that functionality.

• Like 1

Evernote for Outlook Add-In doesn't appear to exist for Outlook 2016 or older versions.  In the Microsoft Store, they only offer an Evernote Add-in for their Browser, Edge.  In Outlook Help, they "say" that you can use an Add-in in Outlook 2010 and 2016 - but they appear to be talking about the Evernote Clipper that was included in the older versions of Evernote - because the instructions tell you to authorize the clipper listed in the Add-in List.  There is no Add-in list that offers a Evernote clipper in the Outlook 2016.   After the release of the new Evernote, you are only offered the option to add Evernote for Outlook with the Outlook 365 and later versions.

In short, the new Evernote version removes the ability to copy Outlook notes and emails into your Evernote Notebooks - unless you are using the newest version of Outlook.

Please go back to the old version Clipper for Outlook!!!!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, JCJules said:

Evernote for Outlook Add-In doesn't appear to exist for Outlook 2016 or older versions.

Hi.  I'm on Outlook 2013 (as part of Office) and my Evernote Outlook Clipper is alive and well - but I'm using the last public version of Evernote 6.25.1 and the Clipper is installed when Evernote is.  There is no separate app or extension.

• Level 5

With Outlook 2013 you use the last version of Outlook where a clipper is supported. See this Support article for details:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005837-How-to-use-the-Microsoft-Outlook-Clipper-add-in-to-save-emails-to-Evernote

From the release notes for EN v10 Win I assume that the clipping function for Outlook is permanently disabled with the new generation of EN software.

• Sad 1

I am using the latest version of Outlook (Office 365) on my Windows 10 PC. 

I have set up several email accounts in Outlook (IMAP / SMTP).

The new Outlook Evernote plugin ONLY works with Microsoft Exchange servers.

And now?

I've been using Evernote with Outlook 2010. When I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Evernote, the add-in for outlook disappeared.

How to I re-install evernote in Outlook 2010.  <File><Options><Add-ins> does not list evernote. Add-in options says "There are not add-in property pages to display. Manage disabled items does not show Evernote. Users>Paul>Appdata>Roaming>Microsoft>addins> shows nothing.

I am using Outlook as part of my subscribed MS 365 account.   I have just updated my Evernote Plus account to 10.6.3 build and my ability to upload outlook emails to Evernote has disappeared.  

Other comments imply that this problem relates to older versions of Outlook.  This is clearly not so.  It relates to all versions it would seem.

I assume that no one would remove this vital function intentionally.

Can someone from Evernote please explain what I have to do to re-enable this really useful and important function?

Thank you.

"Sorry, Microsoft 365 has been configured to prevent individual acquisition of Office Add-ins."

Not linking to Outlook is insane if you want to keep attracting business users.

Looks like it's time to ditch Evernote and move to OneNote unfortunately. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Robert1899 said:

"Sorry, Microsoft 365 has been configured to prevent individual acquisition of Office Add-ins."

Not linking to Outlook is insane if you want to keep attracting business users.

Looks like it's time to ditch Evernote and move to OneNote unfortunately. 

Unfortunately, OneNote is not an alternative. Unclear and no keywords (tasks)

The decision to remove the Outlook Clipper from Evernote is appalling.  I have used it every week, sometimes every day, for years.  It is a vital part of my workflow.  Please bring this fundamentally important feature back right way!  I still cannot believe that Evernote has been ruined in this way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 10/8/2020 at 11:29 PM, markeh said:

Thinking of either upgrading to 2019, or getting off Outlook completely - maybe to Thunderbird.

Does Evernote clipping work in either of these environments?

I use Thunderbird for Email. Its great strength is that it is open to developer applications and add-ons.  Its great weakness is that same thing.

There is a Forward to Evernote add-on which work well but is, in reality, a shortcut to Emailing to an Evernote Email address.  I think I once worked with a friend to create a macro to do the same thing in Outlook. But, of course, this is only useful for Premium users who get the Email address for forwarding to Evernote.

2 hours ago, Peter2040 said:

The decision to remove the Outlook Clipper from Evernote is appalling.  I have used it every week, sometimes every day, for years.  It is a vital part of my workflow.  Please bring this fundamentally important feature back right way!  I still cannot believe that Evernote has been ruined in this way.

To be fair, the old Outlook clipper hasn't been supported for sometime. So, as I understand, anyone who upgraded their Office software regularly will have lost the old clipper. EN v10 has, sadly, made that situation real for everyone which obviously isn't useful but I recall users complaining awhile back before the EN Previews/Betas/v10 about problems with the clipper ceasing to work.

As we hear too often, stick with the legacy version if this is essential to your workflow. Sorry no hope.

• Like 1

I have used the Clipper seamlessly to organize my emails giving them my job number tags, year tags, etc and have been able to recover communication threads very easily- much more easily than with Outlook's search engine.  It serves to comply with discoverability my clients demand.  You're playing God with my workflow and it will definitely mean I'm shopping elsewhere.  I've installed the Legacy version short term in the hope that cooler heads prevail.   As usual, most software developers don't live in the real world as we lowly users (the people who pay for your stuff and ensure your livelihood) do.

Screenshot 2020-11-13 120845.jpg

• Like 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to [Answered] Outlook Clipper in new Windows version gone?

Bonjour 

Cette fonctionnalité m’est indispensable à titre professionnel (utilisateur depuis 2013). Je suppose que ne suis pas le seul. Je suis étonné que vous preniez la décision de supprimer une fonctionnalité aussi nécessaire sans en aviser au préalable vos clients et utilisateurs. Comptez-vous la rétablir s’il vous plaît ?

Merci par avance

• Level 5*
On 11/14/2020 at 6:18 PM, AML2008 said:

This feature is essential for me in a professional capacity (user since 2013). I guess I'm not the only one. I'm amazed that you make the decision to remove such a necessary feature without first notifying your customers and users. Do you intend to restore it please?

thanks in advance

Google to the rescue...

And as far as I know the Legacy version (as long as it lasts) will continue to support the Outlook Clipper.  But Evernote are saying (again - I believe) that they will no longer support that option.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Thanks 1

This is horrible news! The Outlook clipper is the function I use the most; I rely on it several times per day. I have just rolled back to a legacy version. Thanks gazumped for identifying this solution. I'll keep running this version as long as I can. 

On 11/17/2020 at 6:14 AM, gazumped said:

Google to the rescue...

And as far as I know the Legacy version (as long as it lasts) will continue to support the Outlook Clipper.  But Evernote are saying (again - I believe) that they will no longer support that option.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 3

Hi Paul,

I am having the same issue. The workaround I am using is email it to your account. Click Tools --> Account Info and that should open a webpage. Scroll down to "Email Notes to" and you should see your unique address. You can use hashtags for notebooks, too.

That being said, I do hope they correct the issue. Clicking the button in the toolbar was far easier.

I left behind Infoselect years ago simply due to the ease of the Outlook Add-IN.  Looks like its time to look for a replacement of Evernote now.  I pay for all my kids to have it every years as a Christmas present. As soon as I find a suitable replacement they will be getting that from me in the future.

What in the world were you all thinking?

• Confused 1

Not being able to use the Outlook Clipper is a deal breaker for me. It is a big upset. I have built up an extensive Evernote archive, that will now go astray, and moreover, I will have to migrate the lot to and start using an alternative system, which I am not looking forward to. 

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Joop Vis said:

Not being able to use the Outlook Clipper is a deal breaker for me. It is a big upset. I have built up an extensive Evernote archive, that will now go astray, and moreover, I will have to migrate the lot to and start using an alternative system, which I am not looking forward to. 

Hi.  Are you using the older Office versions,  or Office 365?  You should be able to continue with EN Legacy for some time yet,  and if you can view your email in a browser,  does the browser clipper not offer an option?

On 11/21/2020 at 2:06 PM, gazumped said:

Hallo. Verwenden Sie die älteren Office-Versionen oder Office 365? Sie sollten noch einige Zeit mit EN Legacy fortfahren können, und wenn Sie Ihre E-Mail in einem Browser anzeigen können, bietet der Browser-Clipper keine Option?

I have it like this: I am using the latest version of Outlook (Microsoft 365) on my Windows 10 PC. I have set up several E-Mail-Accounts in Outlook (IMAP / SMTP). The new Outlook Evernote plugin ONLY works with Microsoft Exchange servers. The Clipper does not recognize the E-mail as an E-mail in Webmail (Browser) and does not accept any attachments. Sad!

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, dwainem said:

Agree with the majority of this thread. I use the Outlook Clipper, all day, every day. Losing it makes Evernote much less useful for me. :(

There's still the legacy version,  and my favourite trick: I send emails I want to get into Evernote to another of my email accounts (Gmail in this case) which has a 'rule' that any emails it receives from me should immediately be forwarded to my Evernote account email address.  Every time I reply to an email I BCC the same address.  Evernote has a reasonably neatly formatted version of the emails waiting for me if/ when I need them.

• Confused 2

And I'm installing the legacy version right now. 

I understand that I can forward emails to my Evernote email account. That is a wholly unsatisfactory work around for me. 

I guess I'll use the legacy version as long as I can, and then hope something else comes around that suits my needs. 

Disappointing after being a subscribing member for 10 years.  

• Thanks 2