[Answered] Outlook Clipper in new Windows version gone?

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

I received an email with information on the latest, greatest Evernote windows app.

Included was a list of new features, and what got left out:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047889234-What-s-new-in-Evernote-for-Windows

My issue is leaving out the Clipper in Outlook. It wasn't my favorite tool, but it served it's purpose.

Does this mean no more clipping emails??

Anyone have a good way to get Outlook emails into Evernote?

thx,

I presume this is for Outlook 365? - the online version (where you get to pay M$OFT more every month.)

I'm currently on Outlook 2010 (M$ gets no more money). Thinking of either upgrading to 2019, or getting off Outlook completely - maybe to Thunderbird.

Does Evernote clipping work in either of these environments?

thx,

• Level 5*

Hi.  Options are...

Subscribers get an Evernote email address to which you can forward emails - pro tip: send or BCC emails to yourself and (if you can in your email client) set up a Rule to forward all emails you receive that way to your account email address.  That way you get a full copy of the original email - the other way you just get the body of the message.

If you have an email service that has a webmail option - just use the normal browser clipper to grab the mail.

Or you could install the legacy version of Evernote and stick to 6.25 as well as (or instead of) the new kid on the block.  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

In various situations it's also possible to copy and paste content into a note.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Evernote for Outlook Add-In doesn't appear to exist for Outlook 2016 or older versions.  In the Microsoft Store, they only offer an Evernote Add-in for their Browser, Edge.  In Outlook Help, they "say" that you can use an Add-in in Outlook 2010 and 2016 - but they appear to be talking about the Evernote Clipper that was included in the older versions of Evernote - because the instructions tell you to authorize the clipper listed in the Add-in List.  There is no Add-in list that offers a Evernote clipper in the Outlook 2016.   After the release of the new Evernote, you are only offered the option to add Evernote for Outlook with the Outlook 365 and later versions.

In short, the new Evernote version removes the ability to copy Outlook notes and emails into your Evernote Notebooks - unless you are using the newest version of Outlook.

Please go back to the old version Clipper for Outlook!!!!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, JCJules said:

Evernote for Outlook Add-In doesn't appear to exist for Outlook 2016 or older versions.

Hi.  I'm on Outlook 2013 (as part of Office) and my Evernote Outlook Clipper is alive and well - but I'm using the last public version of Evernote 6.25.1 and the Clipper is installed when Evernote is.  There is no separate app or extension.

• Level 5

With Outlook 2013 you use the last version of Outlook where a clipper is supported. See this Support article for details:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005837-How-to-use-the-Microsoft-Outlook-Clipper-add-in-to-save-emails-to-Evernote

From the release notes for EN v10 Win I assume that the clipping function for Outlook is permanently disabled with the new generation of EN software.

• Sad 1

I am using the latest version of Outlook (Office 365) on my Windows 10 PC. 

I have set up several email accounts in Outlook (IMAP / SMTP).

The new Outlook Evernote plugin ONLY works with Microsoft Exchange servers.

And now?

• Like 1

I've been using Evernote with Outlook 2010. When I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Evernote, the add-in for outlook disappeared.

How to I re-install evernote in Outlook 2010.  <File><Options><Add-ins> does not list evernote. Add-in options says "There are not add-in property pages to display. Manage disabled items does not show Evernote. Users>Paul>Appdata>Roaming>Microsoft>addins> shows nothing.

I am using Outlook as part of my subscribed MS 365 account.   I have just updated my Evernote Plus account to 10.6.3 build and my ability to upload outlook emails to Evernote has disappeared.  

Other comments imply that this problem relates to older versions of Outlook.  This is clearly not so.  It relates to all versions it would seem.

I assume that no one would remove this vital function intentionally.

Can someone from Evernote please explain what I have to do to re-enable this really useful and important function?

Thank you.

"Sorry, Microsoft 365 has been configured to prevent individual acquisition of Office Add-ins."

Not linking to Outlook is insane if you want to keep attracting business users.

Looks like it's time to ditch Evernote and move to OneNote unfortunately. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Robert1899 said:

"Sorry, Microsoft 365 has been configured to prevent individual acquisition of Office Add-ins."

Not linking to Outlook is insane if you want to keep attracting business users.

Looks like it's time to ditch Evernote and move to OneNote unfortunately. 

Unfortunately, OneNote is not an alternative. Unclear and no keywords (tasks)

The decision to remove the Outlook Clipper from Evernote is appalling.  I have used it every week, sometimes every day, for years.  It is a vital part of my workflow.  Please bring this fundamentally important feature back right way!  I still cannot believe that Evernote has been ruined in this way.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
On 10/8/2020 at 11:29 PM, markeh said:

Thinking of either upgrading to 2019, or getting off Outlook completely - maybe to Thunderbird.

Does Evernote clipping work in either of these environments?

I use Thunderbird for Email. Its great strength is that it is open to developer applications and add-ons.  Its great weakness is that same thing.

There is a Forward to Evernote add-on which work well but is, in reality, a shortcut to Emailing to an Evernote Email address.  I think I once worked with a friend to create a macro to do the same thing in Outlook. But, of course, this is only useful for Premium users who get the Email address for forwarding to Evernote.

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, Peter2040 said:

The decision to remove the Outlook Clipper from Evernote is appalling.  I have used it every week, sometimes every day, for years.  It is a vital part of my workflow.  Please bring this fundamentally important feature back right way!  I still cannot believe that Evernote has been ruined in this way.

To be fair, the old Outlook clipper hasn't been supported for sometime. So, as I understand, anyone who upgraded their Office software regularly will have lost the old clipper. EN v10 has, sadly, made that situation real for everyone which obviously isn't useful but I recall users complaining awhile back before the EN Previews/Betas/v10 about problems with the clipper ceasing to work.

As we hear too often, stick with the legacy version if this is essential to your workflow. Sorry no hope.

• Like 1

I have used the Clipper seamlessly to organize my emails giving them my job number tags, year tags, etc and have been able to recover communication threads very easily- much more easily than with Outlook's search engine.  It serves to comply with discoverability my clients demand.  You're playing God with my workflow and it will definitely mean I'm shopping elsewhere.  I've installed the Legacy version short term in the hope that cooler heads prevail.   As usual, most software developers don't live in the real world as we lowly users (the people who pay for your stuff and ensure your livelihood) do.

Screenshot 2020-11-13 120845.jpg

• Like 2
  • Shane D. changed the title to [Answered] Outlook Clipper in new Windows version gone?

Bonjour 

Cette fonctionnalité m’est indispensable à titre professionnel (utilisateur depuis 2013). Je suppose que ne suis pas le seul. Je suis étonné que vous preniez la décision de supprimer une fonctionnalité aussi nécessaire sans en aviser au préalable vos clients et utilisateurs. Comptez-vous la rétablir s’il vous plaît ?

Merci par avance

• Level 5*
On 11/14/2020 at 6:18 PM, AML2008 said:

This feature is essential for me in a professional capacity (user since 2013). I guess I'm not the only one. I'm amazed that you make the decision to remove such a necessary feature without first notifying your customers and users. Do you intend to restore it please?

thanks in advance

Google to the rescue...

And as far as I know the Legacy version (as long as it lasts) will continue to support the Outlook Clipper.  But Evernote are saying (again - I believe) that they will no longer support that option.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Thanks 1

This is horrible news! The Outlook clipper is the function I use the most; I rely on it several times per day. I have just rolled back to a legacy version. Thanks gazumped for identifying this solution. I'll keep running this version as long as I can. 

On 11/17/2020 at 6:14 AM, gazumped said:

Google to the rescue...

And as far as I know the Legacy version (as long as it lasts) will continue to support the Outlook Clipper.  But Evernote are saying (again - I believe) that they will no longer support that option.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 3

Hi Paul,

I am having the same issue. The workaround I am using is email it to your account. Click Tools --> Account Info and that should open a webpage. Scroll down to "Email Notes to" and you should see your unique address. You can use hashtags for notebooks, too.

That being said, I do hope they correct the issue. Clicking the button in the toolbar was far easier.

I left behind Infoselect years ago simply due to the ease of the Outlook Add-IN.  Looks like its time to look for a replacement of Evernote now.  I pay for all my kids to have it every years as a Christmas present. As soon as I find a suitable replacement they will be getting that from me in the future.

What in the world were you all thinking?

• Confused 1

Not being able to use the Outlook Clipper is a deal breaker for me. It is a big upset. I have built up an extensive Evernote archive, that will now go astray, and moreover, I will have to migrate the lot to and start using an alternative system, which I am not looking forward to. 

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Joop Vis said:

Not being able to use the Outlook Clipper is a deal breaker for me. It is a big upset. I have built up an extensive Evernote archive, that will now go astray, and moreover, I will have to migrate the lot to and start using an alternative system, which I am not looking forward to. 

Hi.  Are you using the older Office versions,  or Office 365?  You should be able to continue with EN Legacy for some time yet,  and if you can view your email in a browser,  does the browser clipper not offer an option?

On 11/21/2020 at 2:06 PM, gazumped said:

Hallo. Verwenden Sie die älteren Office-Versionen oder Office 365? Sie sollten noch einige Zeit mit EN Legacy fortfahren können, und wenn Sie Ihre E-Mail in einem Browser anzeigen können, bietet der Browser-Clipper keine Option?

I have it like this: I am using the latest version of Outlook (Microsoft 365) on my Windows 10 PC. I have set up several E-Mail-Accounts in Outlook (IMAP / SMTP). The new Outlook Evernote plugin ONLY works with Microsoft Exchange servers. The Clipper does not recognize the E-mail as an E-mail in Webmail (Browser) and does not accept any attachments. Sad!

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, dwainem said:

Agree with the majority of this thread. I use the Outlook Clipper, all day, every day. Losing it makes Evernote much less useful for me. :(

There's still the legacy version,  and my favourite trick: I send emails I want to get into Evernote to another of my email accounts (Gmail in this case) which has a 'rule' that any emails it receives from me should immediately be forwarded to my Evernote account email address.  Every time I reply to an email I BCC the same address.  Evernote has a reasonably neatly formatted version of the emails waiting for me if/ when I need them.

• Confused 2

And I'm installing the legacy version right now. 

I understand that I can forward emails to my Evernote email account. That is a wholly unsatisfactory work around for me. 

I guess I'll use the legacy version as long as I can, and then hope something else comes around that suits my needs. 

Disappointing after being a subscribing member for 10 years.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So I find that there is no import folder and also no further integration with Outlook.

I've immediately gone back to a legacy product and frankly I shall be looking around alternatives which apart from anything else is free.

I would certainly have expected as a customer of a reasonably expensive subscription model, to gain functionality and not lose functionality.

All the sleek modern design is just bonbons. Some of us have to use this system daily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 11/27/2020 at 12:06 AM, dwainem said:

Agree with the majority of this thread. I use the Outlook Clipper, all day, every day. Losing it makes Evernote much less useful for me. :(

I also agree totaly to all of you. The missing clipper and such other bad changes in the iOS App will reduce the advantage of EN damatically. I will check alternatives and then GOOD BYE  EN after 10 years. But I guess, nobody of EN will take care of this and note it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Je viens de perdre une après-midi quasi complète sur ce problème !!!!

Merci à Evernote d'avoir cédé aux pressions de Microsoft, je n'ai plus aucun intérêt à utiliser Evernote sans cette fonctionnalité pour implémenter Getting Things Done.

Je vais sans doute devoir changer de cloud :-((

Je suis très très mécontent !!! :-(((((((((((((

• Like 2

Well I have just set up one note and I expect that once I get used to using it and I migrate my material from Evernote to it, it will probably be Byebye Evernote.

I suppose they disengage without the because Microsoft wanted to prefer one note – but still when I think of the price nowadays of Evernote, and I have no idea why they should have removed the import folder.

Evernote Gods,  PLEASE reconsider the discontinuation of the outlook clipper!  While I understand that this app wasn't perfect,  it allowed for a very efficient work flow.  I've been a user of this product since 2013 (premium user since day 1), and the outlook clipper is a daily part of my life.  Unfortunately,  the other options (add in or email) are not suitable as I'm on exchange on-prem and email doesn't work great when I'm offline as well as the fact that I need to remember to go back into evernote finalize the note.  

PLEASE listen to your users!  we want Clipper back!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Please bring back outlook clipper - just installed evernote for outlook but the bloody thing kept crashing outlook?!

This is the worst decision by EN - you are alienating business users. 

I can no longer copy and paste stuff from outlook into EN. the images goes into spinning wheels

• Like 1

The decision is obviously made and there's nothing that anybody can do about it by complaining on this thread.

What is really concerning is that there has been no contribution from any of the Evernote staff. No explanation, no apology, no outlining of plans or replacement.

Of course the Evernote staff are completely aware of this thread and I remember in the earlier days of Evernote, there were very responsive. It seems that now they are simply too big to care.

It seems to me that there is a change of culture at the executive level and questions need to be asked at that level – but obviously some of the executives in this company are feeling a bit too comfortable to engage with their customers.

I completely agree with the comments above. The mail clipper in my desktop Outlook is a key function in my workflow. Please reconsider this. I also use Cronofy to take reminders from Evernote into my Outlook calendar. If this could be incorporated into any future desktop Outlook integration that would be great. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Cagger said:

..there has been no contribution from any of the Evernote staff. No explanation, no apology, no outlining of plans or replacement.

Hi.  Evernote never justify policy decisions (nor would any business),  and this being their product there's no reason for them to explain or apologise.  This is just how it is.  There's still a clipper for Outlook 365,  but for those of us who prefer the old installed version of Office it's notes by email or nothing.  Since I use Gmail I have a 'rule' that any mail sent or forwarded to a certain address is automatically sent to Evernote and deleted from Gmail.  

5 hours ago, Cagger said:

The decision is obviously made and there's nothing that anybody can do about it by complaining on this thread.

True,  but you could set up a feature request to collect votes and see how many users would like this back - if the numbers are high enough,  Evernote might reconsider...

You are quite wrong. Responsible modern customer-facing companies do explain things to their customers and they do interact with their customers.

I'm sorry that these are not the kind of standards that you expect

• Like 1

I'm curious to hear from those who have chosen to install the Legacy version, for purposes of retaining the Outlook (desktop) add-in, and also install and use the latest version of the Evernote desktop application.

I've now done this. In one early experiment, I created a new note from within an Outlook item (a meeting) and gave it a tag. When I ran the newest version of Evernote for Windows, and filtered by the tag, the newly-created item was not displayed. However, when I remove the filter, the new item appears as I would expect. However, if I saved the item to Legacy, with no tag, then opened the note in the current Evernote version and tagged it using the tool at the bottom of the note (not using a right-click and then tag), this note now was correctly included in the tag filter. How odd. I'm not sure of the cause or whether this will self-correct.

What other strange behaviors are being experienced by people who have chosen to use two versions of Evernote on their PC?

Edited by Messinger
  • Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Messinger said:

I'm curious to hear from those who have chosen to install the Legacy version

I'd suggest that if you install the legacy version,  it will likely be because you need one or other of the features offered by Legacy;  in which event unless and until that feature comes back in v10 it makes a great deal more sense to work only in Legacy and use v10 for a 'test' free account so you can keep track of what's happening. 

The two accounts sync in different ways: v10 is fully automatic,  while Legacy will use the options you set.  If you make changes in both accounts to the same note,  you look to Evernote like the same authorised user.  But if 'you' A makes changes in Legacy (which will be synced in a few minutes) and then 'you' B views the same note through v10,  it will automatically sync when you close the note.  Whichever version syncs last will appear to be the up to date version of the note and will take precedence over anything else synced in the last few minutes.  Bad things could happen.

Full Disclosure:  I am not an Evernote tech,  or any sort of employee;  this is my personal understanding of how things work (or don't) - YMMV!

I have multiple webmail accounts feeding or loaded into my MS Outlook desktop client.  When working in my @outlook.com email Acc/Inbox, I very much do like the tight integration offered by EN's Outlook Clipper add-in (green icon), that I continue to use whilst I camp-out on EN v6.25 for Windows. It works, or its features work so much better than the standard EN add-in (white icon) I use on all my other Non-Outlook email accounts/folders.  E.g. ability to easily find a notebook I wish to save an email to, and once saved it doesn't create a new EN-Note-Window.  Both the standard EN-clipper-add-in and EN-Outlook Clipper are available from the MS Outlook Toolbar (see screen shot) when I'm working in my Outlook email folder. 

1B.png

Other than that the standard EN add-in works just fine, and I imagine it would continue to do so, even in the year 2025 when v10 becomes workable enough for me to consider upgrading to 🙂  

One-of-many things EN should do immediately @ShaneD is get the marketing team to update the EN website. As of today Dec 15, 2020... EN continues to promote tight Outlook/Evernote Integration on it's Pricing/Compare Plans page as a feature-benefit of subscribing! 

1A.png

• Haha 1

It seems very clear that those making the decision that the Outlook Clipper wasn't needed are not users and have NO idea how much many users depend on this.

Without the capability, I'll be looking for a replacement for Evernote.. 

So sad that so many great features have gotten wiped out by a new pathetic update.

UGH

• Like 1

Hi, I really liked the functionality of the old web clipper where I could set reminders within the app. 

Also, the 'save to evernote' app only saves my work (outlook) e-mails to evernote, but I can't do this for the gmail messages that come in to my evernote account. 

Now if I want to save a gmail message to evernote, I have to separately log in to gmail and save the email using the "evernote for gmail" app.

I used to be able to do all of this with the old evernote for outlook app.  

After more than 30 minutes looking for CLEAR explanations on the EN website, I have just grapsed the fact that the EN outlook clipper is definitely gone, without any explanations. I have been using EN for a few years now on a premium subscription and I find it unprofessional to remove features which have been promoted as part of the added values of the product for many years now. How come something that's been so useful and praised by the company itself is removed without any further notice ? I feel cheated upon. I had been paying for the product because I needed this particular feature among others but now, I am really considering moving away from EN as they don't seem to take into account what their customers are looking for. When having poor workarounds to replace an efficient addin is the only way to treat customers, I cannot but feel sorry for their support management. And yes ... when you see that on the "compare plans" webpage of EN, the "connect your outlook account to EN" is still displayed ... how do you call that but false advertising ?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

In fact they did explain: EN is now based on a new platform (a „framework“, which means that there is the app, and then under it a sort of translator that makes it run on the different operating systems). Based on its abilities and restrictions new things are possible, but others are not. Regarding Outlook clipper AFAIK it still works with the installed versions, but not with the O365-version.

There is no need to explain every bit and piece of it. They told some features are gone temporarily, and others are terminated. Take it as it is, and decide for yourself whether you want to continue. Else take your data and move on. I would do this while legacy is still around, it allows more export options.

I don’t say you have to like it (I am really pretty p****ed off by some non-features myself), but better take it as it is.

• Level 5*

Not defending the situation, but just to point out; it's still possible (for subscribers) to forward email to an Evernote email address and in my Outlook (2013) I have an option to set up 'quick step' buttons which automate repetitive actions - like forwarding email to a specific address...  

I think Microsoft changed the options in more recent versions of Outlook* so they're not called that any more - but there are other automation apps.

* sound like anyone you know?

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, penh4253 said:

That's not the point for me.  I use the Clipper to assign tags related to my job #s to organize them- forwarding them does not solve this problem.

Another work-around (kinda) but even if Evernote do find a way to bring this feature back - and even with their new improved development cycle - it's gonna take some considerable time.  (If it were easy I assume they would have done it already!)

I've said before - I work on the basis that "my software ate my homework" is not a valid excuse for failure,  so if Option A doesn't work.. there's always another way.

Take a look at Filterize. They offer some basic functionality for free,  though I subscribe.  The service can examine any new notes as they are synced for keywords or email addresses, and add tags, edit titles and/ or assign to specific notebooks as necessary.  Lots more is possible with the paid version. 

https://filterize.net/blog/ 

I have installed the legacy version of Evernote alongside the new version and the Outlook clipper is working fine in 2019 with all of the previous functionality. The clipped note is clipped to the legacy version but also appears in the new version. This might only be a temporary solution but it seems to work.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 12/14/2020 at 7:16 PM, RavBoy said:

When working in my @outlook.com email Acc/Inbox, I very much do like the tight integration offered by EN's Outlook Clipper add-in (green icon), that I continue to use whilst I camp-out on EN v6.25 for Windows. It works, or its features work so much better than the standard EN add-in (white icon) I use on all my other Non-Outlook email accounts/folders.  E.g. ability to easily find a notebook I wish to save an email to, and once saved it doesn't create a new EN-Note-Window.  Both the standard EN-clipper-add-in and EN-Outlook Clipper are available from the MS Outlook Toolbar (see screen shot) when I'm working in my Outlook email folder. 

I've only had and used the white icon version.  I wasn't aware of the other, green icon version.  This is on my work system where I am using the legacy Evernote.  Is the white icon version available for v10, or is neither available?  I use the Outlook Windows client and not the web version.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, penh4253 said:

I have both green and white icons but only use the white.  The green opens a side panel in Outlook and is disruptive- but I believe they both function the same with Legacy version of EN.

I just installed the green and I prefer the white as well.  I already have Todoist in a side panel and don’t need another.  It has been reported that the Evernote Outlook clipper has been removed from v10.  If that is the green version and we will still have access to the white one then I guess I don’t understand what the concern is.  The functionality seemed pretty similar to me.

You're right.  I'm running ENv10 in parallel on another PC and with some tweaking of the view settings, etc. I'm able to replicate the Clipper behaviour.  I don't like the overall EN interface and the sorting options but ultimately it looks like everything is here.  I'll probably continue to use the Legacy version though- until that becomes untenable.

• Evernote Expert

My understanding is that the current Outlook Clipper only works with Outlook connecting to Exchange accounts. Which accounts for why some folk find it works OK with, say, their work account but not with their private Gmail even though they are both inside Outlook. Work on the old Outlook Clipper was effectively withdrawn quite some time back but lingered around. The new Evernote has finally drawn the veil over it but it also breaks the workflow of those using older versions of Outlook and non-Exchange accounts.

As others have said, the Email to Evernote is about the only option left in those situations.  I have a macro in my preferred Email program which works fine for me. I can use the various codes to set a destination notebook, reminders etc.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I have tried installing it on both my home PC (Outlook 365) and my work Exchange account with no luck. Between this and removal of the manual sync I have no idea what Evernote is thinking. This is awful.

On 11/5/2020 at 3:29 PM, Joseph Territo said:

This is rather disappointing.

Outlook is a widely used application, and in most professional settings, we still have Office installed locally, not Outlook 365. Having the Add-In was a huge time saver to clip emails into Evernote, as well as to tag them within the Add-In, and see right away how it will end up in Evernote.

I realize we can email them to our Premium account, but to simply make the decision to deprecate such a popular feature really should have been better thought out when so many users relied on that functionality.

I agree. This is a great and very useful feature.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 5:52 PM, agsteele said:

My understanding is that the current Outlook Clipper only works with Outlook connecting to Exchange accounts. Which accounts for why some folk find it works OK with, say, their work account but not with their private Gmail even though they are both inside Outlook. Work on the old Outlook Clipper was effectively withdrawn quite some time back but lingered around. The new Evernote has finally drawn the veil over it but it also breaks the workflow of those using older versions of Outlook and non-Exchange accounts.

As others have said, the Email to Evernote is about the only option left in those situations.  I have a macro in my preferred Email program which works fine for me. I can use the various codes to set a destination notebook, reminders etc.

That

I understand that Evernote made a new clipper that should, in theory at least, works better than the legacy version. But why chose to make it limited to Exchange accounts? I have in my outlook program both my work email (exchange) and personal email (gmail) which I used to use the legacy clipper on both. Now the new clipper can only be used with the work email! 

Nobody seems to understand that Microsoft have One Note and that Evernote is a competitor – which actually is hugely more popular and useful and money making then the Microsoft version.

So it's hardly surprising that Microsoft chooses not to allow its email client to be used as a basis for furthering the fortunes of Evernote.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Cagger said:

So it's hardly surprising that Microsoft chooses not to allow its email client to be used as a basis for furthering the fortunes of Evernote.

Unless Microsoft chooses to lock out the several thousand other apps that have easy access to Outlook,  they can't exclude Evernote.  Deciding not to support the installed version of Outlook is entirely an Evernote decision.

• 1 month later...

I agree that there are two majors flaws from the latest version of EN :

1. I can no longer capture email and calendar items from Outlook 2016 (despite following the instructions provided by this site). My organization does not support the Microsoft App store (so I cannot load it on my work computer). This does not worked for my home computer neither on Office 365. The only way it works is with Outlook 365 on the Web, which I don't use. Frustrating.
  2. I cannot sync on demand my notes on my desktop application. This creates important errors and delays in my workflow that were not existing with the former version.  With the latest version of EN there are allways delays on the sync of the data between the web server and my desktop app.

Because of these flaws, I went back to the legacy version of EN. Please fix this ASAP, otherwise I may move to OneNote and stop my subscription to my Premium Account shortly.

• Level 5

Simply read the v10 release notes: Outlook Clipper was permanently removed from the v10 clients.

Now one may argue that getting a new, radically improved client is not covered by your current subscription, because you get all of these mind boggling, super-duper v10 features on top of what you had, for not a penny more. So kudos to EN for this !

One can not argue about the fact that you can still get the client you paid for, now just called legacy, and can happily clip at least until your subscription is up for renewal. Just install and clip away…

At said renewal date you are fully aware that legacy may one day stop to work and leave you with all the mind boggling features of v10, but without the beloved Outlook clipper.

So no, IMHO you still have what you subscribed to if I take your question as you worded it. With the renewals of the subscription a whole new ballgame begins, with new rules that are known to all who subscribe then.

From a practical side, if Outlook Clipper is essential for your workflow, you have to decide between going on with EN and hope legacy will be around for a while, or find another solution soon enough.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, Jean-Martin said:

the ability to capture data from Outlook is part on my contract with EN for the Premium Subscription

Every technology company always surrounds agreements with caveats that make it exceedingly difficult to hold them to account for breaks in service.  If you wish to walk away from your account,  you're always free to do that on expiry of the current subscription.  It would likely be very expensive and largely ineffective to try to hold the company to account for any perceived lacks of service.  Besides emails can still forwarded to Evernote from Outlook manually or by 'rule'.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
11 hours ago, Jean-Martin said:

Just to conclude, the ability to capture data from Outlook is part on my contract with EN for the Premium Subscription. Shall I consider this as a breach of contract?

No. As you know you still have access to the legacy program. It hasn't been withdrawn.  BUT, the removal of the Outlook Clipper was announced quite sometime back so you've had notice. I guess you'll look for something else that does what you want although I'm not aware of any Outlook clippers elsewhere.

I gave up using Outlook awhile back and the program I now use has a 'clipper' available BUT it isn't anything more than a fancy macro to send the Email to Evernote.  You can certainly create a macro in Outlook which, when used, sends the current Email in view to Evernote.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Has there been any change to the position on the Outlook Clipper?  The removal of this feature has frankly made the product subpar and not as useful to me.  Not being able to clip an email to a specific Notebook in Evernote is a real shortcoming.  Any changes coming?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, jbrands said:

Not being able to clip an email to a specific Notebook in Evernote

I've mentioned before that I have some emails sent direct to Evernote,  and I forward some others from Outlook using a built-in feature that allows me to forward the selected email to a specific address (my Evernote account) with one click.  I can also (obvs) forward manually if I wish.

When these dozens of emails hit the account they're sorted into appropriate notebooks,  given standard tags for that set of messages and generally settled down by Filterize which is a freemium app that can edit and move Evernote notes within your account.

I use the subscriber service Parameterization which allows me (for example) to set up a table of keywords, tags and notebooks such that emails containing specific email addresses and/ or keywords attract individual tags,  and are sorted into appropriate notebooks for whatever action is required.  All of this runs in both Legacy and v10.  

There are several other automation options out there that can probably do something very similar if that's what you need.

• Evernote Expert
8 hours ago, jbrands said:

Has there been any change to the position on the Outlook Clipper?  The removal of this feature has frankly made the product subpar and not as useful to me.  Not being able to clip an email to a specific Notebook in Evernote is a real shortcoming.  Any changes coming?

No. The Clipper was removed sometime ago - before Evernote v10. It isn't coming back and will only work with older versions of Outlook. There is a new Outlook add-on but I believe it only works with Outlook 365 and Exchange

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005997-How-to-use-Evernote-for-Outlook#options

Assuming you are a subscriber, you could also create a macro to forward to your Evernote Email account.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear by now that this is never coming back. Which is damn annoying. And why I continue to use Evernote Legacy on my work machine where I need to clip emails to Evernote. And to be honest, while I have current Evernote on many other machines, I really don't like the interface. I'm probably just used to the original, but I just can't search or do other things as well on Evernote 10 as I can on Evernote Legacy.

• 9 months later...
On 11/5/2020 at 9:29 PM, Joseph Territo said:

but to simply make the decision to deprecate such a popular feature really should have been better thought out when so many users relied on that functionality.

Wow, yesterday the automatically updated Evernote broke, installed an older version to work on Win7 only to find today that it also broke the outlook add-in.

For years now Evernote constantly removes functionality.

Recently I found that I cannot simply see Excel content because now I need to pay more for it.

I hate it and I bet soon the pink elephant is telling me I have to accept it all and it is only for the greater good.

DARN I am furious

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Dietrich said:

For years now Evernote constantly removes functionality.

Hi.  Microsoft no longer support Windows 7,  why would you expect that other software providers could be different? 

W7 and W8 no longer receive security updates from the company,  so you're using an insecure system.  Electron,  which is the 'wrapper' process that allows Evernote's code to run on different operating systems,  has removed support for these old systems;  which is why Evernote no longer works with W7/8.  Nothing to do with Evernote updates,  removing functionality,  or imposing new charges.  Everything to do with a need to stay at least within shouting distance of a current OS.

If you're a subscriber you can raise your concerns with Support,  but I doubt there's anything anyone can do.  You may still have access to Evernote Web in the meantime...

18 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Microsoft no longer support Windows 7,  why would you expect that other software providers could be different? 

I don't expect that Evernote is different, but I expect that there is a decent warning that an update might break stuff.

With every decent software I can decide if I want updates or not, but Evernote simply updated and stopped working.

And I don't like that they since their famous V10 client remove functionality piece by piece. I am quite certain that I was able to see Excel files properly in Evernote, but now it tells me to buy premium...

It's not that I cannot spend the extra buck, but this sneaky way of removing things to get people to buy another subscription is bad style. I would be willing to pay more if they start bringing back a proper native app without that electron *****. If you think about it, that an electron app has to not only be shipped with its own chromium package, but also has to run a complete webbrowser to execute its js code. That is crazy and that is why Evernote runs so poor. If I check the Evernote on my Mac right now, it consumes about 1.7GB for doing nothing but sitting there! That is crazy. That's almost a 16th of my total 32GB and most personal computers have less. And for what? Only for the laziness to deal with code for 3 platforms (Win, Mac, Linux).

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Dietrich said:

Only for the laziness to deal with code for 3 platforms (Win, Mac, Linux).

Sadly those three platforms (plus Android) include probably another 100 or so variations depending on OS;  and ironically Evernote had no involvement in the decisions which removed easy PDF access from MacOS (that was an Apple update excluding some functionality) or the Win7/8 issues - Electron took their own decision there for all its clients.  And combining all the different features in one universal app was 1) a user request and 2) a massive cost-saver;  you'd need something like 5 times the coding capacity to deal with all the options,  so even more expense for us to complain about.

Don't get me wrong - everything around me is costing more because of the pandemic / war / 'brexit' / global warming / <insert existential crisis here...> and I'm not pleased to see Evernote joining the trend.  But I have confidence in the management team and I use the product extesively as part of my daily flow.  I'll give them another year to see what happens!

(And for the record,  I started costing this out alongside internet charges / phone subscriptions / Amazon Prime...  even at the new levels I don't think their prices are unreasonable.)

• Like 2
  • Level 5
15 hours ago, Dietrich said:

And I don't like that they since their famous V10 client remove functionality piece by piece. I am quite certain that I was able to see Excel files properly in Evernote, but now it tells me to buy premium...

FWIW, I still sometimes use v. 6.25 on a Windows 7 machine, and I just attached an .xlsx file to a note and synced it. In v. 6.25 it only appears as an attachment; there is no view option. In v. 10 (Web), I can view it as a preview of the spreadsheet or as title only (I have a paid subscription).

IMHO, to only point to removed features (this not being one of them!) without also acknowledging the added features, which v. 6 never had, is unfair. Also, the performance tradeoff in using Electron to provide a consistent interface, experience, and view of notes is worth it for many of us, though obviously not for others.

• Level 5

Just to add this to the pool: Microsoft is not supporting Outlook 2010 and older to connect to O365 accounts, and with Outlook 2013 and 2016 only certain updated versions.   Support for Office 2013 in general has ended on 23th April 2023, all prior versions are unsupported since a while.

As reason Microsoft states among others that the authentication used is not strong enough to protect these accounts any more.

All Windows versions discussed here are older than these Outlook / Office versions.

If somebody decides to stick with old, deprecated operating systems or software, it is his own decision. What does NOT work is to stick with a deprecated OS AND believe it will indefinitely allow to run modern software.

This has nothing to do with „removing features“. A modern, secure code base IS a central feature we users expect from a developer. Keeping it up to date is protecting our computers from loopholes and exploits.

If this means breaking the support for outdated OS platforms, it is the lesser evil. Computers on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 could technically upgrade to Windows 10. Who refrains from upgrading his OS can’t expect to hold all other users hostage just to get the latest releases of EN.

Get legacy, or better upgrade to a supported OS.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 10/9/2020 at 2:12 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Options are...

Subscribers get an Evernote email address to which you can forward emails - pro tip: send or BCC emails to yourself and (if you can in your email client) set up a Rule to forward all emails you receive that way to your account email address.  That way you get a full copy of the original email - the other way you just get the body of the message.

If you have an email service that has a webmail option - just use the normal browser clipper to grab the mail.

Or you could install the legacy version of Evernote and stick to 6.25 as well as (or instead of) the new kid on the block.  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

In various situations it's also possible to copy and paste content into a note.

...and see the email in the inbox notebook, after a couple of hours!

• Like 2