App Performance Issues: Slowness/Poor Responsiveness/Lag

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

On 3/23/2021 at 7:52 PM, DannyR said:

it's a 6S.  I do need to upgrade soon to a 12 - do you think this will make a difference?

I‘m using Evernote on a 12 Pro - that hardware burns all performance issues away 🙂 runs smoothly.

On 4/9/2021 at 3:14 PM, stocky2605 said:

I‘m using Evernote on a 12 Pro - that hardware burns all performance issues away 🙂 runs smoothly.

I've been using 12 Pro Max for a few weeks with same exact issues for EXTREMELY slow sync and search, i.e., 6,500 notes still to sync. The issues is duplicated on 2 Win 10 laptops I use. I managed Service Desks for years before retiring, each with either customers or employees finding active db issues with syncing on custom company apps. Usually, the issues centered around Oracle version, Server O/S version, and app version. The DB admins simply couldn't quit chasing the benefits of the latest upgrade of one of the three, causing conflicts with one or both of the other two. Don't know if that's the case here, but it's getting intolerable, and there are other options out there in the market. Spent too many frustrated hours waiting or failing to find notes I know exist and just haven't reached the device.

• Like 1

I have had this issue since last fall. I have an iPhone 10, I believe. I upgraded to premium and can’t use it because it will not sync my files. I don’t see any responses to this issue but several posts on here with same issues but no solutions. I have forced close, restarted phone, deleted and reinstalled app (losing files.) They told me to leave the app open at nighttime to let it sync overnight. Nothing happens still. I put in another support ticket. 

• Level 5*

I find EN runs okay on my phone but not so much on my iPad.  iPhone is 1 year old and iPad is two years old.  Using a technical term here, the iPad just seems to act a bit squirrely versus the iPhone.  Long lags, sync indicators that don't change, longer boot up.  Fortunately I only use the mobile app for the odd lookup.  Couldn't do any real work on it.

• Like 1

I’ve noticed on ios (iPhone 11 pro), when you are on a slow connection, I’m talking non-lte way out in the country the evernote app may never open at all. The big green elephant just hangs seemingly forever. I suspect it’s trying to log in or something but can’t. Can’t even see “offline notes” because you can’t get past the launching/loading page. This is annoying because I often camp way out in nowhere and will keep my reservation info in Evernote...

Switching to airplane mode and relaunching has worked in the past but it’s hit and miss once it starts the log in attempt and can’t connect. Extremely slow connections should probably be treated as offline and skip the whole login or at least maybe shortening the timeout duration would be helpful. 

On 4/18/2021 at 3:27 PM, thegreatluke said:

I’ve noticed on ios (iPhone 11 pro), when you are on a slow connection, I’m talking non-lte way out in the country the evernote app may never open at all. The big green elephant just hangs seemingly forever. I suspect it’s trying to log in or something but can’t. Can’t even see “offline notes” because you can’t get past the launching/loading page. This is annoying because I often camp way out in nowhere and will keep my reservation info in Evernote...

Switching to airplane mode and relaunching has worked in the past but it’s hit and miss once it starts the log in attempt and can’t connect. Extremely slow connections should probably be treated as offline and skip the whole login or at least maybe shortening the timeout duration would be helpful. 

I have the same problem

• 1 month later...

I see this has been going on for quite  a while. I started another thread without realising this was here. 

I am a contractor and use my iPad every day out of the office with EN. I have for about 7 years so I pretty familiar with what to expect from EN. I've been fairly patient because I really like the program and truly believed this was related to the updates and changes from last fall. I am happy to hear that you have not had any issues. This gives me some hope but a whole load of new question as to what may be causing this performance issue with my device. I erased all data on my device and reloaded all in hopes there was some "glitch"...no change.

I have seen many other posts of similar slow performance on the iPad without any defined resolutions. 

Has anyone determined a setting or path to resolve?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Painter1 said:

I see this has been going on for quite  a while. I started another thread without realising this was here. 

I am a contractor and use my iPad every day out of the office with EN. I have for about 7 years so I pretty familiar with what to expect from EN. I've been fairly patient because I really like the program and truly believed this was related to the updates and changes from last fall. I am happy to hear that you have not had any issues. This gives me some hope but a whole load of new question as to what may be causing this performance issue with my device. I erased all data on my device and reloaded all in hopes there was some "glitch"...no change.

I have seen many other posts of similar slow performance on the iPad without any defined resolutions. 

Has anyone determined a setting or path to resolve?

Thanks in advance

I have found that closing or swiping out all open programs and then going into settings and manually forcing a sync helps some times. I find I have to do this frequently or it doesn’t work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

To force a sync you can as well pull the side bar / notes list down a little and let go. The sync wheel shows, and disappears when the sync is through.

I've found that the sync is not always complete when the wheel disappears.  I know this only because I had made some changes to a note which weren't there after a drag down sync attempt right after I opened the IOS version.. So I went to settings and used the sync option there.  That is the only way I have found to be sure of syncing on IOS.  On the other end of the spectrum sometimes the green to be synced icon shows even though the note has been synced .   Not quite fully reliable as yet, for me anyway..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, CalS said:

I've found that the sync is not always complete when the wheel disappears.  I know this only because I had made some changes to a note which weren't there after a drag down sync attempt right after I opened the IOS version.. So I went to settings and used the sync option there.  That is the only way I have found to be sure of syncing on IOS.  On the other end of the spectrum sometimes the green to be synced icon shows even though the note has been synced .   Not quite fully reliable as yet, for me anyway..

Yes, I have found the best way to force a sync is to go to sync in settings. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Have not observed any difference yet between the 2 ways to initiate a sync - which is not to tell there isn’t one, and I hear your observations.

From the posts in the thread, I think there is no need to close other apps prior to syncing. iOS apps run in a sandbox each, they don‘t influence each other.

The green sync symbol AFAIK does not mean a note IS syncing at that moment. It shows a note STILL HAS to sync. There seems to be a slight lag sometimes between syncing and the green sign, but I think this has more to do with updating the GUI than what is happening in the engine room.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The green sync symbol AFAIK does not mean a note IS syncing at that moment. It shows a note STILL HAS to sync.

Yup.  My point was I've had a couple of instances where the green sync symbol shows even though the note has already synced.  Not always for sure.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, CalS said:

Unbelievable the ***** performance everyone has put up with using this product. Really amazing.

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Figaro said:

Unbelievable the ***** performance everyone has put up with using this product. Really amazing.

No reason to lump everyone in with any problems you might be having. I have no performance issues at all. Been working great for quite a while now. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Under iOS it depends on the age of the i-device. It works on all devices that can run iOS 13 (and up), but on the older ones it is a bit slow.

If one remembers that the processor of an iPhone 6S (which is the oldest supported iphone, it is an iPad Air 2 for iPads) has only appr. 1/10th of the transistor count of an iPhone 12, it is no surprise the older iPhone will not be lightning fast. We run EN v10 both on an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6S+, plus on some younger hardware. It is usable on the older ones, but we need to go slower than on the newer ones.

• Level 5*

IOS is a not oft used platform for me, mostly when I'm out and about.  Performance on my iPhone is just fine, two year older iPad not so much.  Interesting how a server based architecture is so reliant on the client.  I'm not averse to hardwaring a problem when the value is there, SSD anyone?

The real issue is any desktop work, be it browser or the V10 Windows app.  Performance is miserable there.  It could be a note count thing, not sure, rolling out the browser to larger note count users was delayed quite a while for some reason(s).  But I stray as this is covered in a different topic.

EDIT 2021.06.25

Things are getting better on the most recent desktop version.  Still missing features so I am sticking with 6.25.1, but speed is returning.  Web still a bit slow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is still a problem on v10.18.3 in August 2021

I upgraded from v6.25 yesterday and had hours of bad experiences. 

The app on my iPad Air2 is really dragging and is hard to navigate. Sometime when it opens it get stuck on "Just a few moments.. we're setting up your new app." and does not open. I have to kill it and try again.

Lots of other issues also encountered, such as stale references to notebooks and stacks that were in the old Business account before they made us split accounts 🤕

• Like 1
On 10/13/2020 at 5:04 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I wanted to let you know that I've changed the main topic of this thread.

We do not believe that this issue is specific to iPad, and may affect other iOS devices.

We're further investigating into this issue, and I'll follow-up here once I have more information.

Saying that you know about a problem isn't a solution !
Come on, it was October 2020 that you posted this and its still bad in August 2021

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, trichromic-ab said:

This is still a problem on v10.18.3 in August 2021

I upgraded from v6.25 yesterday and had hours of bad experiences. 

The app on my iPad Air2 is really dragging and is hard to navigate. Sometime when it opens it get stuck on "Just a few moments.. we're setting up your new app." and does not open. I have to kill it and try again.

Lots of other issues also encountered, such as stale references to notebooks and stacks that were in the old Business account before they made us split accounts 🤕

Just to let people know, this might help - following PinkElephant's suggestion, I deleted the iOS app completely from my iPad. I then powered off.

I re-installed the app v10.14 and provided my account details again. Now it seems a lot faster and the phantom notebooks have gone.

I guess I had a local database corruption following the upgrade from v6 to v10 and the subsequent enforced business account split.

I hope this helps people.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I opened Evernot on my iPad today, and its sooooooo slow... I really can not wait 3 minutes before starting to type in new notes... whats going on?  I restarted my iPad just before this happened... so gave it a while to have its first cup of coffee, but it did not go away... maybe its th 4% power level on my iPad so its running in energy saver mode, or???

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Grant837 said:

Its doing better after a 2nd cup of coffee, but still lags...

How do you get coffee in your iPad?  Maybe it would help my machine's performance.

• 3 months later...

My 2 cents: I've been using evernote (free) from 2012.

The performance of Evernote web lately has been very bad (5+ seconds between typing, and something happening on the screen. Same when pressing buttons). I tried downloading and using the native macos app. While the performance of the native app is somewhat better, it consumes far too many resources (CPU 100% for example), which is not acceptable to me (reason: sustainability). The app is still slow enough that I'd have decided to switch to some other platform anyway.

I will be replacing Evernote with google drive, because Evernote is not usable anymore for me.

Thanks for providing the free service!

• Level 5

I can‘t reproduce both, speed on the web is pretty good, native as well, and my CPU usage is not as low as with legacy, but still OK (typically 20%, and on the Macs activity monitor this is 20% of one CPU core, not of the whole CPU). The fan on my Intel MacBook Pro is not noticeable while using EN (it goes into top spin when I start the Windows VM, just to compare).

But anyhow, it may depend on the type of notes and the type of use.

Google Drive is no equivalent to EN - claiming you replace EN by G-drive just says you did not have a typical EN use case. If you had, you couldn’t use G-drive for that end. There is an overlap of both, allowing cloud based document storage, but that is it.

On 10/13/2020 at 8:04 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I wanted to let you know that I've changed the main topic of this thread.

We do not believe that this issue is specific to iPad, and may affect other iOS devices.

We're further investigating into this issue, and I'll follow-up here once I have more information.

I agree there is a major performance issue with Evernote across all platforms. 

It's been there for at least a year. It applies to all platforms. I'm sorry to say I've reached the point where I have no more confidence that the EN team will fix it. It's unfortunate my subscription has renewed a few weeks ago, I paid for a year but will use it just for a tenth of that. Too bad, in any case I will now move on. 

On a win10 laptop with i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, I get terribly poor performance on the "new" Win10 app. So bad that I have to keep using the legacy version (which works great). Anyway, I didn't like the new Win10 app, not just look and feel but also ergonomics (eg: I routinely change the date of creation of a note of a scanned document. It's cumbersome to do that on the new app, but very easy on the legacy app). 

On an old iphone 7, EN is so slow that it is unusable. Also does not sync stuff correctly. Some notes/pictures I took on the iphone 6 weeks ago are still not sync'ed. They are important documents that I will lose because EN support has no solution to get them back when they're stuck in this sync limbo (only solution is uninstall and reinstall, and loose unsync'ed notes in the process). A couple of years ago, EN worked great on that same iphone 7. Why is it so bad now while I am using the exact same features that I used 5 years ago?

On a Samsung Note10, EN is so slow that it is unusable. I have done a couple of videos to send to EN suppport: after a fresh start, with no other apps in the background, EN takes 55 to 65 seconds to just open. That's a full minute staring at nothing but a green elephant icon on your phone. Unacceptable. In addition, the Android app now seem to suffer from the same issues of notes stuck in "sync limbo" (green corner with sync icon stays on the note). 

I read that the only actual solution on this thread is to buy more powerful devices. It seems Evernote strategy is to believe they are in the same situation as Intel and Microsoft in the 80s and 90s, where you just had to buy the latest hardware to be able to use the latest WinOS and Office suite. That is a major mistake from Evernote, they are not in the same situation as Microsoft. Even Microsoft today is no more in the same situation as Microsoft in the 90s. 

There is no legitimate reason an app like Evernote can argue for the new version of their app so dramatically under-performing older versions. Especially after the management change a few years back who sent us emails explaining they had to rewrite the entire code-base. When you rewrite the code-base, it's to improve performance, not decrease it.

My iphone 7 is still in great shape for the use I have, all the apps (except EN) work exactly like I need them to. That's why I still have that phone. I'll buy a new iphone when I break the current one, and only for that reason. Not because the developers of Evernote tell me "sorry, we don't know how to code properly, just spend a thousand buck on a new phone whenever we tell you to". 

It does not make sense it terms of business strategy: everybody in the world will have more and more devices, but those who pay regularly for the high-end devices are and will stay a minority. If EN wanted to become the go-to business/semi-business app of the future, they need to have a version that works on the majority of phones today. The majority of phones today are NOT iphone 12s or 13s or Samsung S21s. Heck, just look at Facebook, who bothered to develop a "Facebook lite" app to work on even lower-end phones. 

I chose EN because it was the only fully cross-platform system. But if cross- platform means "any device, as long as you buy the latest and most expensive one every 2 years", it's no more cross-platform. 

If Evernote management and developers don't understand that, this app has no future with me. 

• Like 8
  • Level 5

No Windows (just in a VM), no Android. No issues on the Mac, none on iOS, ranging back to an iPad Air 2 (2014) and an iphone 6S+ (2015), all running on iOS 15.1 and EN 10.21.

But ok, some must be the lucky ones, it seems.

For those less lucky I can only propose to contact support.

IOS devices can often be made faster by switching them completely off from time to time. This clears data from all sort of apps that may have gotten stuck in the RAM.

In general avoid long notes with a lot of text - here v10 seems to have a specific problem.

@YAGraises good and legitimate points.  

It's a notes app, so avoiding notes with lots of text absolutely scuppers it's purpose!

EN used to be lightning fast on any device between 2013 (when I started using it) and until the "new improved" rewrite was released.

Now it is just about ok on my iphone XR, slow on Windows, slow but usable on web and completely pointless on android.

I don't use it for work any more, and use it less and less for personal stuff. Failing a massive improvement over the next 2-3 months I'll be migrating elsewhere permanently before too long.

This used to be the best product out there. 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

In general avoid long notes with a lot of text - here v10 seems to have a specific problem.

Well, I'm not avoiding anything. 

I have a bit less than 20,000 notes for a bit more than 15 GB, so not far from 1MB/note on average. 

Many of them are long notes with a lot of texts and pictures - eg my notes from trainings (including screenshots), professional email newsletters that I need to keep, ...

• Level 5*

For some use cases the new version(s) are molasses in January slow as compared to the old version(s).  Both performance and UI.  Period.  I understand why they did what they did but the how mystifies me.  

Still using 6.25.1 Window desktop.  Only use IOS for lookup so as to not create duplicates (send to my EN email as opposed to adding in IOS).  To date I have mirrored 90% of my 57k notes to a cobbled solution which is not as good as 6.25.1 but is better than V10.  Still ironing out the GTD/TSW bit.  I simply cannot deal with the SLOW.  PITA. 

• Sad 2
  • Level 5
On 11/24/2021 at 3:37 PM, YAG said:

Well, I'm not avoiding anything. 

I have a bit less than 20,000 notes for a bit more than 15 GB, so not far from 1MB/note on average. 

Many of them are long notes with a lot of texts and pictures - eg my notes from trainings (including screenshots), professional email newsletters that I need to keep, ...

It is perfectly up to you what you do.

We can offer (sometimes) a few ideas about what is working here and now. It does not tell we as fellow users would be happy about a restriction, or that we think EN is doing just fine by dropping a bomb into a workflow.

So of course you can keep longer notes.

Of course you can continue to edit them (as long as being untouched, nothing will happen).

Of course you can be unhappy about EN for releasing this problem on its users, or for not fixing it.

Of course, unfortunately, this will not change what happens. It is just hitting your thumb with the hammer again, just to check whether it still hurts.

13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It is perfectly up to you what you do.

We can offer (sometimes) a few ideas about what is working here and now. It does not tell we as fellow users would be happy about a restriction, or that we think EN is doing just fine by dropping a bomb into a workflow.

So of course you can keep longer notes.

Of course you can continue to edit them (as long as being untouched, nothing will happen).

Of course you can be unhappy about EN for releasing this problem on its users, or for not fixing it.

Of course, unfortunately, this will not change what happens. It is just hitting your thumb with the hammer again, just to check whether it still hurts.

You seem to be upset from something I wrote. Sorry, I did not mean to offend you. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No offense intended from my side either.

The new version of EN has problems handling long text notes, especially when editing them. We users here in the forum can just share this experience, and show workarounds to get going again.

It does not fix the core issue - hopefully the devs are on it.

• 5 months later...

EN working really fast and smooth on my new iphone 13 pro. 

One bug though: If I change app, without quitting, the menu bar (three lines (side-bar) and the search icon) sometimes doesnt register touch when I return. It works if I restart.

• 2 months later...

I’m using an iPhone X on iOS 15.5, Evernote v10.36

Free trial of Personal membership.

The app is definitely sluggish. Whether I want to create a new note, edit an existing, or add tags, it’s sluggish.

sometimes I add some tags to a note, and when I click “done”, it just becomes unresponsive. I can click “cancel”, in which case it usually doesn’t save the tags, and sometimes after 10-30 seconds, sudddenly the tags I had added now appear (not always).

After writing a new note and clicking the green checkmark at the top left, sometimes it quick and often times it takes several seconds to finally recognize m the action.

It doesn’t appear to be related to my phone being slow. It appears to be related to Evernote constantly trying to connect to the server for every single thing I do.

When I turn my phone on airplane mode, things appear to work much faster.

When I turn off airplane mode and am back on wifi or 4G LTE, same sluggishness.

It is never sluggish when I click the 3 lines (the menu bar) at the bottom left. It’s never sluggish if I click on any of the menu buttons such as shortcuts, etc. That makes sense - those are not buttons that require Evernote retrieving info from the server.

However, writing a new note, editing tags, saving the note… those all seem like things that Evernote is trying to load and save on the spot when connected to the internet. But when on airplane mode, it works great. Even adding tags is fast when in airplane mode.

If it is indeed a networking related thing, can I please request that all of these things happen locally on my phone, and that the syncing only takes place moments after the note has been saved?

Please help! The sluggishness really breaks the flow of jotting down spontaneous, fleeting ideas!

• Level 5

Sure EN tries to keep the local client data and the server always in sync - this is a cloud based service, and the local mobile clients do not hold a full copy of all data. 

Our installations all work snappy, except on the really old iOS devices we use as a backup or for „kitchen retrieval“. So maybe this is more a network than a device / client issue.

How fast is your local network ?

Thank you for the reply! We have a gigabit internet plan, generally internet speeds reaching my phone will be 30-300Mbps.

However, I will try to do some additional testing and report back.

I’m often finding that the app hangs for a few seconds even when I merely create a note and just hit the green checkmark at the top left.. I find myself waiting 5-10 seconds sometimes just for it to save so I can create another note.

Glad to hear your testing finds it to be snappy, which gives me hope.

Update: I have been continuing to test, and on my iPhone X, continue to notice sluggish performance.

• iPhone X on iOS 15.5, Evernote v10.36

• Free trial of Personal membership.

• All notebooks are downloaded for offline use

• All other apps are closed

• Tested over Wi-Fi (60Mbps connection) as well as on a 4G LTE connection

Sluggish symptoms include:

• Upon creating a new note, even after typing in the body of the note, the green checkmark at the top left is greyed out (unclickable) for 5-10 seconds, meaning I cannot save the note until that green checkmark is clickable.
  • Upon clicking the green checkmark, clicking the green < arrow to go back (i.e. to the previous screen) is non responsive, requires 5-15 seconds of waiting until it will respond.
  • Upon taking a photo within a note by clicking on the camera icon, it takes 5-20 seconds for the photo to finish loading and display in the note
  • When clicking the "add tag" icon, it takes 2-5 seconds (it's not snappy)
  • After selecting which tags should be associated with the note, when clicking “done” on the add tags screen, the "done" button is unresponsive for 5-20 seconds.

Contrastingly, the iOS Notes App and OneNote app on iOS are not sluggish at all. They are extremely responsive/snappy.

• Like 1

I just saw that there is a new version for iOS available today: 10.37.1

I downloaded it on my iPhone X and immediately noticed all my complaints about lag and sluggishness disappeared.

Evernote is now extremely fast to open new notes, save, go back out of the note, and sync my newly created notes. It’s exactly what I would’ve wanted/expected.

Wondering if (and hoping) anyone else noticed this improvement?

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Unfortunately my excitement in the previous post was short-lived. Within 30 minutes, it was slow again. I was really excited to use Evernote because it seemed to have all the features I wanted, and I subscribed to the monthly plan.

However, the sluggishness makes it such that when I have two to three ideas, by the time the first note finishes saving (which takes forever on the mobile app), I have already forgotten the other two ideas.

I had to move all my notes to Obsidian, which is blazing fast, and has an incredible "Graph View" which is similar to what the Infranodus-Evernote API platform offered but this new "Graph View" is directly integrated within Obsidian. And Infranodus had some serious issues working with Evernote (likely an issue on Infranodus' side).

For these reasons, I have decided to not use Evernote for the time being.

I look forward to popping back in the future to see if the performance has improved, because the tags, ease of taking notes with all sorts of media, and clean interface were really attractive to me.

I hope this feedback is helpful to the dev team.

• 1 month later...
I WAS having trouble with Evernote syncing on iOS. I would make a minor edit to a very short note (3 lines) and wait for over a minute before the little "tick" in the top left would change to an open left bracket.
If I tried to rush this syncing (eg by switching to a different app while waiting) then I would either ultimately get 2 copies of the note OR some of the new text I typed would simply be missing.
Eventually I looked through the posts on the forum and decided to try marking fewer of my notes as "available offline". My sync response time has returned to normal.

I have no idea whether I had burst a limit on :
Number of notes offlined
Total GB offlined
Memory in my iPhoneXS
or whether there was a corruption somewhere.

If it was a corruption, I wonder if the note (or index) is still corrupted up on the servers or whether it was just my local copy (or index) that was corrupted?

I currently have 72GB/256GB mem Free on my iPhoneXS. I'm afraid I did not look at this figure before I un-offlined lots of notes, though no other apps were protesting in any way.

Fortunately it seems to be working happily again at the moment.