Images and Attached Documents

Go to solution Solved by jstuartj,

I'm having in issue in Ver 10.0.10 with notes previously created in the legacy version and/or new notes created in the web version.

• Thumbnails aren't displayed.
  • Images aren't being rendered no matter how simple the note.
  • Images display the filename, file size, and with an error icon  "images could not be rendered properly")
  • I can't download, display or open attached files. (i.e.  .docx, .txt or .pdfs etc...)
  • Using "Open" on attached files does nothing.
  • Choosing "Download" gives me a file dialog, file name but nothing downloads.
  • Image display a filename, file size, and with an error icon  "images could not be rendered properly")
  • Links to websites appears to be working as they should.
  • The same note appears and work fine in the web and legacy version of Evernote.
  • New notes created in version v10.0.10 appears to work and sync just fine with the web version, legacy and ver 10.

There appears to be a URL/domain issue occuring on previous or degenerated content.

Just tried disabling my firewall and antivirus, which didn't resolve the issue.

• Sad 1
  • Solution

I spoke too soon and I managed to fix it.  Something must have failed on install or with local storage.  I used devtools to delete the client side storage and cache. Uninstalled Ver. 10 and re-installed and rebooted and it now appears to now be working correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here is what I did.  Always backup your data first (This should be safe but you've been warned.)

Since the new desktop client is an electron app, it's use a cache and web storage to keep data persistent and offline access.

Something failed upon install and I need to find a way to trigger a rebuild of the web storage DB and cache.

Try an uninstall/reinstall and restart first. If that doesn't work, Try to clear the Cache and Web Storage.

Luckily Evernote left us an option-- access to developer tools: In the top menu:  View --> Advanced --> Toggle Developer Tools.

1. With Developer Tools open, go to the Application tab.
  2. Click on clear storage the should display the Usage and the "Clear Site Data Button"
  3. Unclick "Unregister Service Workers"  just in case.  (I don't think this matters, I would hope they would re-register themselves.)
  4. Then click on clear site data, that should force a reset, of webstorage and recaching. 
  5. Close Evernote it will collapse into the windows task bar.  Be to go there and Quit Evernote.
  6. Reboot
  7. Open Evernote and hopefully, it will rebuild correctly.
  8. Profit.

2020-10-08_17-21-03.thumb.png.429625ff7e8bc499d27913b38dbecbb0.png

19 hours ago, Onandagus said:

I appreciate your help. Unfortunately, this didn't fix the issue. I've also uninstalled and rebooted several times. I'm working from a Mac but am seeing the exact same issues you described above. Any other ideas?

On a Mac at first install you are prompted to put in your administrator password. Did you happen to skip that and close the window? if you did your attachments aren't going to populate. Evernote requires access to Keychain Access on your Mac to write your Evernote credentials into it. The credentials will be used from time to time by Evernote to authenticate with the Evernote service to sync attachments and notes. 

• Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I have the same issue - images and attachments are not showing (with error message Image can not be rendered properly). I tried to copy the procedure above, but I cannot see "View --> Advanced --> Toggle Developer Tools" to access Developer Tools. I tried several times to reinstall the App but without success. I have 10.3.7 version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 2:54 PM, Genevieve Wicker said:

I have the same problem. Mac, 10.4.4 version of Evernote. Tried uninstall/reinstall. Tried deleting keychain data. Made zero difference. Do not see Developer Tools. Did not receive any prompt for administrator credentials. TOTALLY FRUSTRATED.

Genevieve, I don't know if I can help much. But have you updated to the most recent version of Evernote and macOS? I am running Evernote v. 10.5.7 on macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina). I don't know how it is running on Big Sur, so I can't help there (my Mac is now "too old").

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I have the similar problems [(a) Images aren't being rendered no matter how simple the note. (b) Images display the filename, file size, and with an error icon  "images could not be rendered properly" , shown as attached file]  after upgrading to Android V10.0.

It happens only in the notes created before upgrading.

Is there anyone who can help?

Thank you.

SmartSelect_20210108-162721_Evernote.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 10/10/2020 at 12:59 AM, Nick L. said:

On a Mac at first install you are prompted to put in your administrator password. Did you happen to skip that and close the window? if you did your attachments aren't going to populate. Evernote requires access to Keychain Access on your Mac to write your Evernote credentials into it. The credentials will be used from time to time by Evernote to authenticate with the Evernote service to sync attachments and notes. 

Hey this is what I did - I skipped when iy asked for keychain password after I installed the web clipper extension.
Now how do I go back or correct that mistake
Please help!

On 10/10/2020 at 12:59 AM, Nick L. said:

@Nick L. - Can you please help