[Feature Released in 10.8] Return note links to a single click

Stacey Harmon

Idea

20 replies to this idea

• Ex Employees

Single Clicks for internal links are back in version 10.8.. Thanks for the feedback around the differences from legacy behavior when the note is opened in its own window. I've documented this for further review. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the new 10.x versions, I have found that when you click on a link you don't go on the link. First, a pop-up window appears with the link and you need to click on it again. This is inconvenient, especially when notes have a lot of cross-links between notes.

Please make it so that when you click on the link you go immediately occurs without the need for a second click. Like in old versions.

• Like 4
On 11/9/2020 at 2:01 AM, stocky2605 said:

you can use command-click to open the link on the go.

I thought this was going to be a good workaround, however, command-click is opening the destination note for internal links in its own window. I hate this. It's actually less desirable than the two click process. Still want one click back :)

• Like 6

Totally agree that need to bring back one click to the external web link. There is nothing worse than the new version (in this case 10.3.7 build 2018) actually making things less convenient. Was already suspicious of installing the new version, now I know why--things are as apt to get worse as better. 

• Like 3

Ahh @Paul A....I see. Thanks for clarifying. The difference is when you're working with the note in it's own window...you and @billmcc want the link to open the note in the window that is open (which it does in Legacy). I notice that Evernote leaves the open window open but makes the 3 column layout the top layout when you click the link. I can see how this makes things clunky for you when working with open windows. 

I created this gif to show the behavior of the links if you have the note open in it's own window or not, in case those reading this thread wanted to see a visual. 

2021-02-11_06-17-45 (1).gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed, and I hope you can add an option to turn this additional link security/transparency measure off for all aspects of the app (Web, desktop and mobile). In many environments, this is unnecessary and confusing to Evernote users when other security measures are already in place. It's fine for unwitting users, but for those of us and those we support, we should be able to deactivate this. Thanks!

• Like 7
On 11/10/2020 at 9:38 PM, Stacey said:

I thought this was going to be a good workaround, however, command-click is opening the destination note for internal links in its own window. I hate this. It's actually less desirable than the two click process. Still want one click back :)

I also don't like the opening in a new window. Maybe somebody needs it but I think only one app window is better.

On 10/9/2020 at 1:10 AM, Stacey said:

I articulated this in the beta forums and am re-adding here to allow for voting up of the feature for those who agree with me.

I very much dislike the added step of having to click a note link, then click the link again in the menu that appears. Adds all kinds of extra clicks to my workflow.

I'm aware that Command+Click will open the link in a new window (and bypass the click on the drop down URL that appears). This is an ok workaround for external note links (out to the web, for example) but not at all what I'm after for internal note links (I don't want them to open in a new window, I want to go straight to the note inside Evernote). 

I want the efficiency back of single clicking on a note link and having it either:

1. Immediately launch the external link
  2. Navigate to the note I'm internally linking to

In absolute agreement. Searched around for ages thinking there must be a way to go back to the old days, but now I see there is not, yet. Here's hoping thats not for too long, or I'll have to find a doctor to help with the repetitive strain injury from all the extra mouse movements now required. Perhaps it would be good if you could turn on or off the URL display option in the settings menu. 

I could not be more excited to read this in today's blog post by @Ian Small:

"In upcoming releases, we will restore a full slate of keyboard shortcuts (and add a matching quick reference guide), move the insert menu to be more easily within reach for large screens, and change links in notes to require only a single click."

Thank you Evernote for listening to us!!!!

https://evernote.com/blog/state-of-the-product/

• Like 4

Hey guys, 

Yeah, it's significantly worse having to click twice to get to the link. If I wanted the link address, I'd right click and go through. It's way more common to just want to navigate to the link, not get the link address. My notes are a labyrinth, I have to navigate all over the place. This is a lot worse double clicking. 

Best, 

Mike 

THANK YOU Austin. Pleeeeeease change this back or give us the option of single vs double click notes.

I have been using Evernote to organize all my medical notes for the past 5 years (I'm an Emergency Physician). They are all connected and indexed through links. It makes it very difficult to navigate through them and find what I need quickly.

I imagine many others are in the same boat. There seems to be very little upside to showing the link address and having to click on it again to navigate.

Imagine if the internet switched so that every link click required a second click. It would be very frustrating for users!

Thanks so much for looking into this Austin. Answer our prayers please!

• Like 1

It's totally annoying not to be able to navigate to a linked note through a single click. This feature makes no sense. I don't see any benefit in it. Please go back to one-click navigation. 

Another annoying feature since you changed the interface is that when you search for a note and click on it on you search bar, the mid bar disappears and the note becomes 2/3 of the screen. I don't understand this behaviour. It just doesn't make sense.

What's going on guys!

image.thumb.png.3d05632ac21b5332dd5bcd80ec4df654.png

• Like 1

With version 10.8.4, single clicking links is back, but the behavior is still very different from legacy. Upon clicking a link, it opens a separate window, with legacy you remain in that page/window. Usually the user experience in this situation (ie. with browsers and with legacy), clicking a link keeps you in the same window. If you wanted it to open in another window you hold the command key down (control key on windows). I'm curious as to the reasoning behind this approach versus keeping with common practice?

I was hoping to finally move to 10.x but this still messes with my work flow significantly, so I'm back to legacy. At the very least can this be an option that can be toggled in the preferences? The default should be that clicking keeps you in the same window and command clicking opens the page in a separate window.

Thanks for everyone's efforts on evernote! It is looking really good, anxious to move to 10!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, billmcc said:

With version 10.8.4, single clicking links is back, but the behavior is still very different from legacy. Upon clicking a link, it opens a separate window, with legacy you remain in that page/window.

@billmccI don't have this experience. In 10.8.4, the link opens the note in the same window, and if I Command+Click, it opens in a new window (just like Legacy). I'm VERY happy. It also has the functionality that if you hover over the link, the link edit menu options appear. 

It's odd that you're having a different experience though...wonder why? I'm on a Mac. Are you? 

2 hours ago, Stacey said:

@billmccI don't have this experience. In 10.8.4, the link opens the note in the same window, and if I Command+Click, it opens in a new window (just like Legacy). I'm VERY happy. It also has the functionality that if you hover over the link, the link edit menu options appear. 

It's odd that you're having a different experience though...wonder why? I'm on a Mac. Are you? 

I can confirm @billmcc's experience, also running 10.8.4 on macOS. The difference lies in whether the note is popped out into its own window. When a note is floating in a standalone window, clicking an internal link works differently than it did in legacy. Different isn't always bad, but in this case the effect is janky and jarring. There's room for improvement in popped out note link-following @Shane D.@gbarry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1