[Feature Released in Version 10.7] Ability to disable spell checking

mimimimimi

Idea

On 10/26/2020 at 7:24 AM, metroappelsap said:

I just installed Evernote Legacy, thanks for the link!

I understand the reasoning of the dev team. Using the built-in Windows spellchecker saves maintenance. I think you can change the language of the spell checker by installing language packs and enabling multi-language support in the Windows settings. However: there is a major bug somewhere; turning off spell-check in Windows has no effect on Evernote! This is a killer for many people, as not everybody types plain text in Evernote. For example: code.

Another tip is to use the web interface. There, spell-check can be disabled.

Nah, your reasoning is wrong. You say, summary : << I understand that EN uses Windows built in spell-check, as it's easier. By the way, you can add languages to Windows. The only bug is : disabling Windows spell-check doesn't disable it in EN. >>

Your premise is false.

Evernote does *not* use Windows built-in spell-check. I extensively tested. It follows that no, adding language packs (I have always had 3 languages) does not change anything (for example I have english as a second language, and also as a language pack, and no the presence of the language pack doesn't fix the EN problem). I made very long posts on reddit explaining my few findings (with ProcessExplorer). For french they use an old open source dictionary, which is somewhere on the local hard drive, EN app folder. Old open-source dictionary. That's why the word "Facebook" is known, but not "Twitter". (not even Evernote is known, by the way). The first thing is that the new EN app is an Electron app. I even went to Electron's github to follow the spell-checker possible issues, or recently closed issues. More on reddit (including working workarounds). I just wanted to correct a few things here.

I once almost shared that pov but S h a n e D didn't close that issue. I think he marked the thread as "accepted". Reminder that we're in "feature requests". The feature request was accepted by the admin.

Now, we agree that this should not be a feature, just a priority bug. Sure, only 39 people in the world upvoted this "feature request". But you need extensive googling before finding this thread, there are TONS of other places where this topic is discussed. I'm seeing that some old users of EN have just created an account here (yes, you need a different account to post and vote here...), and God knows people hate creating new accounts.

I'm pretty sure that lots of these new members of discussion.evernote have posted in this thread but they don't know that the most important thing is to go to the top of the thread, and upvote. So no, the EN team argument, once and often used, that only 39 people in the world are desperate for this "feature" is not valid. (second attempt to post this, now I copied to clipboard before losing all)

On 10/9/2020 at 1:29 AM, Austin G said:

We are working on a fix for this! thank you for your patience. 

How can you be so incompetent. Working on something that should be the default option. And this has NOTHING to do with non-English users. I write in English and I do not need/want a forced spell checker.

• Like 1

I contacted Support today and got this response:

Please know that we haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of features we are still considering. Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you. I will share this information with our product team.

This is wild. I'm cancelling my premium account this evening and migrating all my stuff over to Apple Notes. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Sarah G said:

This is wild. I'm cancelling my premium account this evening and migrating all my stuff over to Apple Notes. 

Who could blame you? I am considering cancelling. New evernote is crazy. I can't share from the app. Just a terrible transition

• Like 1

Sadly this shows the notorious ignorance of CEO and the EN staff. Leaving us with this premature spell checker and kicking off almost every non english typing user for months. Ignoring necessary foundation work. But in meantime wasting time playing around with shiny dashboards...

Early at school kids learn that homework comes first, then playing. Obviously no one at EN can remember this simple rule. 

Hard to see, they leave us with this until 2021...

• Like 4

I was considering comming back to evernote premium to manage my stuff with the intent of being more productive on 2021 but this red underline doesn't allow me to proceed. Also, seeing that this is a topic that the community have been complaining for the past almost three months and it remains unsolved makes me think that staff doesn't face it as the huge problme it is.

I am paying to Evernote every month, and since the new version, using it is nearly impossible because of this bug. Most of my texts are a red underline mess.

"Working on a solution" is now more than 2 months old. Evernote, this is a slap in the face to your paying customers. Usually, when your user audience is dwindling, it is a good idea to LISTEN to your paying customers, instead of driving them away by making the product worse 😡😡😡

On 12/17/2020 at 5:02 PM, StéphaneDeFrance said:

Last thing : one workaround is when your squiggly red note is in a detached window, you can press Ctrl+R and that will reload the note and the squiggly lines are gone. (Until you start editing again)

Disclaimer : may depend on AB-Testing aka "experiments". If you have the option, it's in the help menu, near debugging. Shortcut is Ctrl+R. I'm on 10.5.7 btw. (spell-check fix still not announced in the "coming next" dialog)

Thank you. This helps as a work around. 

On 10/21/2020 at 11:53 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the request.

You can find the Mac equivalent of this request here:

It seems that in v. 10.6.1 this will be solved? Considering the frequency of updates, that will be another couple of months . As a Premium user, using French, German, Dutch, and English language in Evernote,  I find this extremely annoying. I feel myself treated as a moron.

On 12/25/2020 at 4:23 PM, john_doe said:

Guys, just download the legacy version (link below) until they add new features to the desktop app. You can disable spell checking in the legacy app, and it works just fine.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Yup. That's exactly what I did a few days ago: install legacy and disabled the spell checking.

The only difference is the "new legacy" app has a gray icon instead of green.

For my part, I reverted to the "legacy version" for now. When the day comes that the legacy version is no longer supported, I will cancel my EN subscription (sadly, because before EN 10 it was EXACTLY the tool I needed, with all solutions being inferior).

I've already tested OneNote... while not as good as the legacy Evernote, it is still way better than Evernote 10, so that's probably where I am going to migrate to when the day comes... Of course, disabling the spell checker is possible there, among many other settings.

5 minutes ago, lluis-s-v said:

I am sorry but this problem has not been fixed. How can I switch off word spelling check? It is so annoying having word highlighted just because the spelling check doesn't like some words.

It is not possible, since EN has not implemented it for months now. You can only revert to legacy version. I will try if manually deleting the ancient dictionary files shipped with EN 10 will get rid of spell checker. I will post later on.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, lluis-s-v said:

I am sorry but this problem has not been fixed. How can I switch off word spelling check?

I'm sorry too, but so far there seems to be no option and no chance to switch (probably in EN v10-Electron-base capsulated Chromium-browser driven) spell check of.
(I think EN is working on this...)

If it get's to hard just use the legacy version instead. (like Alxa recommended)

On 10/21/2020 at 11:53 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the request.

You can find the Mac equivalent of this request here:

It is completely ridiculous that this issue is still marked " Solved" while only adding a referral to the same issue for Mac. I reported this several times, and again today to the moderator.

Is anyone at Evernote reading this? Long paying members like myself are cancelling because Evernote refuses to recognize and address this issue with a simple on/off setting, that is bothering all Non-English speaking and multilingual users...

Clearly it makes no sense to move back to the Legacy version - because, if Evernote consistently ignores and/or fails to understand these spell checking issues, they will soon return in some form in the next update, like in previous upgrades !

Evernote - please actually DO something about this, or confirm you're not interested so international users can move forward to another product?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Alxa said:

It is not possible, since EN has not implemented it for months now. You can only revert to legacy version. I will try if manually deleting the ancient dictionary files shipped with EN 10 will get rid of spell checker. I will post later on.

I tried deleting the "dictionary" folder in EN10 installation folder. Merciless EN10 reloads the files and re-creates the folder on startup. So this seems no way to circumvent this. 😞 

Maybe someone on this forum is capable to do a deeper technical approach on this... as an international customer I would be thankful. Evernote sadly is ignoring their users outside the US  since EN10 (spell checking, defocusing Android App and so on).

On 12/5/2020 at 1:05 AM, Austin G said:

Thank you all for your patience. Spell Check options are scheduled to be released with version 10.6. I will reply here when I have more details on that. thanks again.

Please fix it fast. 2021 and still not done. It is very annoying and must be really easy to fix. I just don't want any spell-check. Thank you.

• Like 1

Hello, any news on this ?
I have material in my own language and some in english so my notes are constantly full of red underlining

Before version 10 we could disable it in tools but lots of options have disappeared from the menu, that's bad.

Bring back this option please, it's not nice to see constantly.

• Like 1

Regardless of if the next update fixes this issue,  I am definitely canceling my Evernote subscription.

I honestly can't believe how poorly designed this app is. Its the same with Spotify - The company realized that 90% of their income came from their mobile versions, and so they don't care to put any real amount of their budget towards actually designing the computer versions to be usable.

For the amount of money I've put towards Evernote over the last 5 years, I feel like I should expect a notes app that is actually useful to take notes with, instead of the app we have that is constantly distracting me from my actual train of thought, due to poorly designed user-interface issues.

Get your stuff together guys. Yeesh.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

We have discussed for a long time that EN staff should give more forward guidance. Now they do, and the result is this !

I am a total fan of self declared „experts“ who tell the real experts what they do wrong. Hope you are a business consultant, then you are a 100% match to your line of thinking. Just avoid any serious work in your life, and you will do good.

• Like 1

Just to make it sure: Evernote is in my eyes primarily a noting taking app, not a spell checking app...

I’do agree that it is helpful to have a fully working spell checking routine. But programming a completely new version from scratch and ground in a new environment every „basic“ feature is starting as additional feature to add, when time has come. And even if spell checking is a common feature implementing this - without to much additional bad effects for memory consumption or battery drain - may be quite a challenge...

But may be you may give us and EN light and vision how to do this en passent?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, HeBoIz said:

Just to make it sure: Evernote is in my eyes primarily a noting taking app, not a spell checking app...

I’do agree that it is helpful to have a fully working spell checking routine. But programming a completely new version from scratch and ground in a new environment every „basic“ feature is starting as additional feature to add, when time has come. And even if spell checking is a common feature implementing this - without to much additional bad effects for memory consumption or battery drain - may be quite a challenge...

But may be you may give us and EN light and vision how to do this en passent?

As some already suggested, just disabling it completely until it is figured out might be a fast way to gain time for development without interrupting the user experience that much. I mean for multi language users it is pretty unusable because of that.

• Level 5

We have a broad definition of „unusable“ here in the forum. For one getting checklists instead of checkboxes is unusable, others say if the text is looking like the font is set to red-underlined makes it unusable, if there is no manual sync button u-n-u-s-a-b-l-e etc. 

To me it seems the app is pretty usable, if these are our priority problems.

• Level 5*

This is why 6.25.1 still exists.  It works in many more ways than V10. 

Don't understand putting up with the grief pending EN telling us they have completed the remediating of V10.  When that shoe drops is when anguish will ensue if our favorite features aren't back.  Until then, business as usual.

FOUND A FIX! 

Log in to evernote.com and click on "edit" in the menu bar at the top/ bottom of your screen. Move your mouse down to the "spelling and grammar" portion and un-click what you don't want (i.e. Check spelling while typing, check grammar with spelling, check spelling automatically, etc.). Whatever changes you make here will save on your other devices! 

Hope this helps! 

This is such an essential feature for WRITING notes.  I was able to spell check in three different languages in the older version. Now everything is underlined in red. I thougth this would be fixed in the first updated, because it's so embarrassing for the software... but no.

I'm going back to the older version. 

5 hours ago, BCGraveDigger said:

FOUND A FIX! 

This fix doesn't seem to work--for me, at least, Evernote Web does not show any menu bar with these preferences.

Why was this request marked "Solved" by @Shane D. in October 2020? The ability to disable spell checking is still not present in the current Windows version.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:03 PM, Austin G said:

I apologize for the delays folks. this is now scheduled for the 10.7 release. Will continue to post updates as I receive them. 

Sigh. So the Evernote app will continue to be unusable for a few more....weeks? Months? 

How can it be so hard to understand that not everyone write in English? Is this a new realisation for the Evernote team?

• Like 2

With the rollout of version 10.6.9, there is still no option to disable spell checking entirely, but the ability to add individual words to Evernote's dictionary has been reintroduced. So if you find the frequent red underlines visually disruptive, now all you have to do is right-click each and every word and add them one at a time to the dictionary!

...Just to be clear, that was a joke. The mandatory spell checker is still a significant source of irritation, and a surprisingly basic feature to have been missing for so long. Unfortunately, judging by previous release timeframes, it could be up to another month before this issue receives a fix.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:03 PM, Austin G said:

I apologize for the delays folks. this is now scheduled for the 10.7 release. Will continue to post updates as I receive them. 

I knew it was coming!! So for 2 months I've been aggressively clicking on "look for new updates" in the Win10 Microsoft Store. (for some reason, available updates can be there but not show up for up to a week)

HERE IT COMES BABY !! 😀 🧡 🦄 😍 🤶 🎈 🙌 👍 👌 👏 😀 A FIX FOR THE SQUIGGLY RED LINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will tell the story of that day (or that night..., it's 4am here) to my grand-kids one day!

So many months of suffering but you did it guys !! 🎈 🙌 👍 👌 😀

Sure, for people whose primary language is not english, a problem wil remain for notes written or copied from english.

But apart from that, wew!! And all for free! 🧡

DISCLAIMER : this is a non-ironic message. I am actually happy.

And to say this thread started in October! I never rolled back to legacy, I kept the faith! 🙌  Sometimes you have to believe in people! I'll probably consider going back to PREMIUM as a thank you.

I also learnt a few correct spellings (I'm the kind of person who always disables spellcheck everywhere, when possible)

TL;DR : fix for spellchecker issues was actually delivered before EN version 10.7. Last night I received the update to 10.6.9 on Windows,

10.6.9 (win-ddl-public (66))
Editor v116.1.14913

and now you can add words to the dictionary. 😀 Thanks. 👏 (I've been on EN 10 for 3 months)

21 minutes ago, andreaswin said:

No thanks, just give us the option to NOT have any spell checking at all, please. 

Yes, I wanted to write "partial fix" but I was not sure if it means half fix. Adding words is pretty fun, especially when adding the words that only I use! I have added a few foreign (english) words and technical words ("https"...), but I won't add all the english dictionary, obviously, mostly for performance issues.

Also I'm PREMIUM again now. Promises kept!

okay I have the same problem with all people above. I dont understand any technical problems, and I don't know how to fix it or it is because Evernote just creat this app for English users. And if you do, please fix it. It has been several months. and many will leave and stop using because we can't not stand seeing red lines on all notes. 

I'm remaining on Evernote Legacy for the foreseeable future. Evernote didn't deign to give status on this issue for months and when they did it was to announce a 'feature' most don't want: add your own dictionary. Suppose I'm a writer in English who regularly uses Spanish, French, German and Latin words. (Is there a dictionary for Latin? More time would be spent adding words to the dictionary than getting writing done.)

If this lack of transparency continues, I'll move to OneNote, losing Evernote's excellent webpage capture ability. Maybe OneNote will catch up in that area.

On 1/8/2021 at 2:08 AM, Austin G said:

Hello everyone.
Confirming that this is still on schedule for the 10.6 update to be released this month.  Thank you all for your patience. 

I truly can't wrap my head around how slow the pace of development is. Is Evernote in so much trouble these days that they have one developer?

• Like 2

English (UK) mac users still have a problem with this as at January 2021 - my sympathies to everyone else as well. 'Overtrousers' and 'pajamas' are both recognised when typed into Google Search, but not in Evernote. Red underline, no ability to turn the spellcheck off and no spelling dictionary to add valid words to. This is the story with the 'latest' version: 10.6.9-mac-ddl-public (2254), Editor: v116.1.14913, Service: v1.26.7 - which I was offered and loaded mid-January 2021.

By the way - if there is the ability to add words to a dictionary, there also needs to be the ability to remove them from there... basic data life-cycle stuff... just saying, so when it does arrive it works properly...