We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding. ×
mimimimimi

Ability to disable spell checking

Idea

Hi,

I can't seem to be able to disable the red squiggly underline under my typing n the desktop app. I already tried disabling Windows' own spell checking, no effect, so it seems to be built into Evernote. I can't find any kind of drop-down menu with settings that would help me to turn this annoying feature off. Is it possible to do so?

17 replies to this idea

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the request.

You can find the Mac equivalent of this request here:

Hi, and welcome to the forums. According to the What's New post, one of the features not yet implemented into the new version is app preferences. So yeah, no, you're stuck with the squiggle.

25 minutes ago, Austin G said:

We are working on a fix for this! thank you for your patience. 

Always like to know if it is a fix to something broken or an add back for something dropped.  Transparency and all that for customers.

It is a bit annoying for non-English speakers to see the red line below every word. So please add this option.

• Like 3

Hi everybody,

After the Evernote for Windows last update, the app has begun to check my spelling. I want to disable this function, but can't find how. Anybody has the answer?

Thanks!

• Like 2

I have the same problem. Basically, I am unable to read all my notes because they are in a different language than my operating system and the spellcheck marks all words as incorrect. Unfortunately, it seems that the spellcheck function is not a part of Evernote anymore. How one can overlook such an important issue in a beta test is really beyond me.

• Like 3

Same problem here... no way to disable spell checking :(

EN 10.1 still does spell checking. This is also a problem when users are writing in multiple languages, like in coding when English is combined with the native language. So, I would really suggest an option of disabling it, instead of making it to show when the written language is different from the OS language. 

• Thanks 2

On 10/8/2020 at 7:29 PM, Austin G said:

I do not understand how this spell checking problems (by the way since this post from Austin G persisting the last two bug fix updates) could pass ANY quality control. Is there nobody at Evernote aware of bi- or multilingual people out there in the world? 

• Like 2

Agreed here that the red squiggly lines are significant distractions with no way of turning off unwanted spell checking especially if you use Evernote in multilingual fashion.

A quick search on the forum shows this issue keeps popping up since 2015. It seems to be a major distraction to the workflow of many users.

Could you please make sure it's clear to Evernote staff that many multilingual users simply want to disable the spell checker ? From experience I can add that this also includes many professionals who use domain specific jargon or source-code fragments in their text.

Many thanks!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, average_user said:

Could you please make sure it's clear to Evernote staff that many multilingual users simply want to disable the spell checker ?

Fully concur but this still would be only a second best solution. In the year 2020, it should be an absolute no-brainer that a professional software with a considerable subscription fee has the ability not only to turn the spellchecker on/off, but also to check syntax and grammar in multiple languages. Most freeware is able to do this. It is really ridiculous that users have to ask for this "feature".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I just installed the new Evernote App for Windows (10.1.7) and a spellchecker red-underlines almost every word in my notes. I'm french and I write mostly in English which makes the problem worse I guess. This completely ruins the experience for me, making my many notes close to being unreadable. I am an Evernote Premium user , I work on Evernote every day and I'm very disappointed. There was no spellcheck on the previous version and I wish I could simply disable it.

I tried to disable the Windows spellchecker but it doesn't change anything on Evernote. I read on Reddit that other people experience the same problem, please correct it or help us remove the spellchecker.

• Like 1

Yet another smart move by EN. I mean, after all, nobody should use any words that are not in the (which?) dictionary. And nobody uses more than one language. Who could've seen this coming?!? </sarcasm>

• Like 1

I cannot understand how product management can keep this in the wild. It must be easy to disable spell checking until problem is solved. 2 weeks since then...